inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Did the Internet change the world for the worst?

Written By: SpyroKev on 04/01/16 at 4:54 pm

This is my belief on the matter. Not during its early days since less sites were common with back in the day internet. The internet is basically a alter outer space as it continually expand. If you have experience, you can see how the internet can bring out the true color in people. I'm a victim of this my self and I shake my head to my self as a look back. With so many planets, negative users can say the most unforgettable things with how impossible it is to moderate the internet. Let alone YouTube by its self that makes it pointless to bother.

I'll give some generic advice and say, stay away from the negative site of YouTube for starter.

Subject: Re: Did the Internet change the world for the worst?

Written By: Toon on 04/01/16 at 5:09 pm

I'm fine with the internet mainly due to how much information I can gain in such a short amount of time. I've learned a lot of things that I wouldn't have learned if I lacked the internet (I'd probably still learn things, but it may be a slower rate). Youtube is fine, but stay away from that toxic comment section.

Written By: annimal on 04/01/16 at 5:24 pm

I can look up so much information so fast.  I cant hear right so I cant use a phone nor just talk to people.  Internet is a blessing for me.  I can how it may be a problem if used the wrong way for the wrong things. 

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/01/16 at 5:24 pm

The Internet isn't really that great during this decade. If you looked at sh*t like Tumblr, modern YouTube, Instagram, Snapchat, and Vine, you would know how annoying it is today.

Written By: SpyroKev on 04/01/16 at 5:26 pm

I'm fine with the internet mainly due to how much information I can gain in such a short amount of time. I've learned a lot of things that I wouldn't have learned if I lacked the internet (I'd probably still learn things, but it may be a slower rate). Youtube is fine, but stay away from that toxic comment section.

I'll give it credit for that. The internet helped me learned how to read and spell. Just me sounding stuck in the past as usual. Haha

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/01/16 at 5:28 pm

Or unless the whole video was pandering to the cancerous comment section.

Written By: #Infinity on 04/01/16 at 5:36 pm

The Internet was an excellent invention during the Web 1.0 era and early Web 2.0 era, before the advent of mobile junk. It used to improve the efficiency of so many tasks, both in real life and in the business world, not to mention it made it easier for people to connect with each other based on mutual interests, something that was particularly important for me. However, a lot of negative consequences have arisen as a result of the gradual increase in concentration of social media, which has not only proven to be a serious distraction for a lot of people, but also negatively affected their happiness. I just restarted my Facebook account because I was so sick of having too many friends and dreading which one would be the next to unfriend me.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/01/16 at 5:38 pm

:.shrugs shoulders:.

Written By: Toon on 04/01/16 at 5:42 pm

I'll give it credit for that. The internet helped me learned how to read and spell. Just me sounding stuck in the past as usual. Haha

Well the internet as brought a lot of negatives things. Like #Infinity I think the internet was great during the Web 1.0-early 2.0 days. Guess we can say that internet is both a blessing and curse.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/01/16 at 5:47 pm

Well the internet as brought a lot of negatives things. Like #Infinity I think the internet was great during the Web 1.0-early 2.0 days. Guess we can say that internet is both a blessing and curse.

It's mostly a blessing to everyone, unless they took it very seriously.

Written By: Toon on 04/01/16 at 5:58 pm

It's mostly a blessing to everyone, unless they took it very seriously.

For me it's mostly a blessing since I'm able to gain so much information in such a short time. Add to the the fact that the internet can be used for entertainment with online gaming, videos, art, music etc. But there are things on the internet that I can't stand. But hey everyone has their own internet experiences which would influence their own views.

Written By: Howard on 04/02/16 at 7:22 am

The internet has been a fantastic tool over the past 20 years, I've been able to watch TV, listen to music, save information to folders, chat with people all over the world and read news articles.

Written By: Howard on 04/02/16 at 7:23 am

What's wrong with the comment section? ???

Written By: #Infinity on 04/02/16 at 8:28 am

It's basically the anus of Internet society. It's like visiting a dark street corner crawling with Ku Klux Klan members. It's one of the few remaining places where it's still common and accepted to toss around homophobic slurs, outright racial insults, no holds barred misogyny, despicable anti-semitism, classism, ableism, and just about any other blatantly offensive remarks you can imagine. I don't mean subtle discrimination (aka the stuff that SJW's expose on a daily basis and which are usually more misguided than anything else), I mean downright malicious, KKK-level crap, like I already mentioned.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/02/16 at 12:13 pm

Like what Infinity said, the YouTube comment section is full of Trump supporters who are either racist, homophobic, anti-Semitic, white supremacist, or all of the above. They all have this backwards logic where they believe everyone should listen to their views as facts. Even though no sane would believe them, since we ALREADY got out of those dark ages. I don't think anybody (especially minorities, liberals, and homosexuals) should go back to the pre-Civil Rights Movement era. Where a lot of people thought homosexuality was a mental disorder, interracial marriage was basically code for getting rid of whites by the Soviet Union,  minorities were inferior compared to white people, Jews were trying to achieve global domination, etc. It's all racist propaganda, since people back then didn't want to be associated with other races (unless you lived in the North).

Written By: muppethammer26 on 04/02/16 at 12:57 pm

Also, stay away from toxic SJW internet communities found in sites like Buzz Feed, Tumblr, Instagram, etc. Most of this same nonsense is already happening on these sites as the comments section of some sites.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/02/16 at 1:06 pm

Also, stay away from toxic SJW internet communities found in sites like Buzz Feed, Tumblr, Instagram, etc. Most of this same nonsense is already happening on these sites as the comments section of some sites.

Buzzfeed barely has any SJWs. Most of their fans are either the youngest 90s kids, millennials, and social media addicts.

Written By: Howard on 04/02/16 at 5:48 pm

It's basically the anus of Internet society. It's like visiting a dark street corner crawling with Ku Klux Klan members. It's one of the few remaining places where it's still common and accepted to toss around homophobic slurs, outright racial insults, no holds barred misogyny, despicable anti-semitism, classism, ableism, and just about any other blatantly offensive remarks you can imagine. I don't mean subtle discrimination (aka the stuff that SJW's expose on a daily basis and which are usually more misguided than anything else), I mean downright malicious, KKK-level crap, like I already mentioned.

I always try to ignore the bad comments.

Written By: Howard on 04/02/16 at 5:49 pm

I'm subscribed to Buzzfeed.

Written By: Starlighter on 04/22/16 at 6:20 pm

I think that with most things the Internet has its good and bad points. 

It's good because of all the information and the useful tools it provides (e.g. paying bills online).  I've learned how to fix our appliances by watching YouTube videos and have been able to order parts online.  I would not have been able to do this years ago and would have had to pay costly repair fees.  We can look up pretty much anything and learn something everyday.   

I don't think it brings out the worse in people, but I do think that because so many people have access to the Internet it seems that way.  For example, if someone standing in the middle of a supermarket started yelling about banning kittens from the world only the people around them would be exposed to that.  If you're (you in the general sense) not at the supermarket, you won't know that someone wants to ban kittens, but not being exposed to it doesn't mean that that view isn't out in the world.  It's just that you didn't know about it (you in a general sense).  But now with the Internet they can potentially send that message throughout the world.  When one is exposed to, for example, all five people on the Internet who want to ban kittens it seems to make the world a little gloomier when compared to only the one at the supermarket.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 04/22/16 at 9:11 pm

Other than seeing the Kardashians a bit more than I like, I don't think it's detrimental.

All I use the net for is to read and learn, makeup tutorials, maintaining my blogs and fanclubs, chasing after the music stars I like and other rather trivial stuff. I do notice I take ALOT more selfies than I used to for Twitter, but other than that, I don't think I've done or said anything to be ashamed of.

But some people do take it entirely too far by not having boundaries and forgetting that the web is accessible by billions and whatever you put out there is in the general population. And some people don't think about what they do or say. It is useful. the internet, if used properly.

Written By: Howard on 04/23/16 at 8:04 am

With the internet, we're able to do more things that we weren't able to do.

Written By: KatanaChick on 04/25/16 at 1:43 am

This is my belief on the matter. Not during its early days since less sites were common with back in the day internet. The internet is basically a alter outer space as it continually expand. If you have experience, you can see how the internet can bring out the true color in people. I'm a victim of this my self and I shake my head to my self as a look back. With so many planets, negative users can say the most unforgettable things with how impossible it is to moderate the internet. Let alone YouTube by its self that makes it pointless to bother.

I'll give some generic advice and say, stay away from the negative site of YouTube for starter.

I've made friends over the internet, even meeting some of them here or there over the years. Forums and other places of common interest are at least a social outlet if you can't find IRL what you're looking for, or spend time with people on a regular basis.

I think nowadays it absolutely has brought out the worst in people. With the advent of social media anything you post is seen by who knows who and there are more than a fair share of individuals who'll dole out the death threats and appalling comments over any little thing that sets them off. Plus the loss of privacy aspect of it I've brought up several times. I miss the days when you could have your own personal blog and share what you wanted with who you chose and that part of your life was separate from work, school, family, etc. Not so now and it's scary.

Then instead of deep personal thoughts, you read mostly vapid crap on Facebook and Twitter and watch as stupid memes get passed around and it gets stale after a while.

Buzzfeed barely has any SJWs. Most of their fans are either the youngest 90s kids, millennials, and social media addicts.

Xojane and Jezebel are more SJW territory.

Written By: #Infinity on 04/25/16 at 4:48 am

This is basically my impression of what has happened to the Internet in recent years...

Pre-2012:
To be or not to be. That is the question. Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune or to take arms against a sea of troubles and by opposing end them.

Post-2012:
idk if i should be like donald trump or protest social injustice #hamlet
<–    ^v 969    <3 2011    ...

Written By: muppethammer26 on 04/25/16 at 5:12 am

Do you know there's 4chan, a website which is even more worse than any of the SJW sites? That's the site you should avoid at all costs.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/25/16 at 7:04 am

This is basically my impression of what has happened to the Internet in recent years...

Pre-2012:
To be or not to be. That is the question. Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune or to take arms against a sea of troubles and by opposing end them.

Post-2012:
idk if i should be like donald trump or protest social injustice #hamlet
<–    ^v 969    <3 2011    ...

I hated 2012 because of the proliferation of stupidity on the Internet.

Written By: muppethammer26 on 04/26/16 at 3:33 pm

I hated 2012 because of the proliferation of stupidity on the Internet.

We still have insane websites like 4chan and Encyclopedia Dramatica, where only insane people would go. Lots of stupidity and all the crazy stuff happening in those two sites.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/26/16 at 3:37 pm

We still have insane websites like 4chan and Encyclopedia Dramatica, where only insane people would go. Lots of stupidity and all the crazy stuff happening in those two sites.

As somebody who's a regular visitor to ED, it's not as bad as 4chan. Most of the articles that I read are really funny, and not that offensive if you don't take the Internet seriously.

Written By: muppethammer26 on 04/26/16 at 3:59 pm

As somebody who's a regular visitor to ED, it's not as bad as 4chan. Most of the articles that I read are really funny, and not that offensive if you don't take the Internet seriously.

Sometimes, ED can be insane for some people. I would still never go on that site because of all the flamingly racist and sexist stuff going on.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/26/16 at 4:07 pm

Sometimes, ED can be insane for some people. I would still never go on that site because of all the flamingly racist and sexist stuff going on.

Yeah, that's sometimes true. But, they aren't seriously racist most of the time.

Written By: KatanaChick on 04/28/16 at 8:01 am

I'm not saying some people don't ask for it, but I don't think it's necessary to go that far like those websites do. Some of the "honorable mentions" on ED have quite lengthy articles detailing every little thing the creators deem noteworthy and it's kind of disturbing how fixated trolls are on whoever they latched onto.

Written By: 2001 on 04/28/16 at 11:42 am

I'd rather live in a post-Intrrnet world than a pre-Internet world personally.

You have no right to complain about the Internet while also being a regular visitor of that site. :P

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/28/16 at 12:01 pm

I'm not saying some people don't ask for it, but I don't think it's necessary to go that far like those websites do. Some of the "honorable mentions" on ED have quite lengthy articles detailing every little thing the creators deem noteworthy and it's kind of disturbing how fixated trolls are on whoever they latched onto.

Eh... but it's not like they're opposing you in a serious manner. It's basically a satirical website for the Internet in general. Sure, it's a bit offensive, but not Stormfront-level offensive.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/28/16 at 2:12 pm

It was a fun technological tool for its time.

Written By: muppethammer26 on 04/28/16 at 3:14 pm

I don't think the internet will ever go down, at least in our lives. It would be impossible for the internet to become a fad, unless a new technology is invented that successes the internet or  there's a massive trend towards no-internet lifestyle. I think the Internet will continue to evolve, until at least 30-40 years from now. It's still possible for a post-internet world to exist in the future, but due to the massive size of the Internet, it is very unlikely in the foreseeable future.

Written By: Howard on 04/28/16 at 3:58 pm

I don't think the internet will ever go down, at least in our lives. It would be impossible for the internet to become a fad, unless a new technology is invented that successes the internet or  there's a massive trend towards no-internet lifestyle. I think the Internet will continue to evolve, until at least 30-40 years from now. It's still possible for a post-internet world to exist in the future, but due to the massive size of the Internet, it is very unlikely in the foreseeable future.

our society have become accustomed to the internet nowadays.

Check for new replies or respond here...