inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Breaking News : MTV returning to its Music roots

Written By: the2001 on 04/05/16 at 9:50 pm

"In a way to try and stay relevant and combat the falling ratings at MTV, Viacom, the company that owns MTV, is looking at ways to rebrand the network, according to Variety"

There have been some changes that have already been made at the network, including a new president and the possibility of reviving MTV Live ( the precursor show of TRL ), where hosts would discuss a wide range of topics in Mtvs Times Square studio, going from politics to pop culture moments of the week. There’s also plans for MTV Live to extend to print platforms and podcasts as well

Executives will debut "a more significant re-imagining of the brand," said Dauman, when hosting . "I'm confident we are going to get there," he said of plotting a revival of the network famous for everything from hosts known as VJs to the reality program "Jersey Shore." Ad revenue at the network has been choppy in recent years, falling in both 2013 and 2014, according to data from market-research firm SNL Kagan.

http://television.mxdwn.com/author/lauren-fitz/

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/mtv-overhaul-viacom-tv-upfront-1201740235/

http://www.philly.com/philly/entertainment/20160328_Reuters_tagreuterscom2016newsmlMT1VRT1201740235_Viacom_Chief_Says__Reimagining__of_MTV_Is_in_Works.html

Subject: Re: Breaking News : MTV returning to its Music roots

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/05/16 at 9:58 pm

Well, at least MTV would have some music in the channel.

Written By: the2001 on 04/05/16 at 9:59 pm

Well, at least MTV would have some music in the channel.

its the news we have been waiting for

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/05/16 at 10:19 pm

If this is a ploy by MTV to increase ratings, it will be an unsuccessful one. Times have changed. It's not 1990, or even 2000, anymore. Kids these days watch music videos on YouTube, and get their cues on what acts are popular from social media, not radio and television. No matter what changes MTV might make to it's lineup, I can't see this ever changing back in the internet age.

Written By: mqg96 on 04/05/16 at 11:06 pm

If this is a ploy by MTV to increase ratings, it will be an unsuccessful one. Times have changed. It's not 1990, or even 2000, anymore. Kids these days watch music videos on YouTube, and get their cues on what acts are popular from social media, not radio and television. No matter what changes MTV might make to it's lineup, I can't see this ever changing back in the internet age.

Bingo. The internet age has been taking over for at least 15 years now. We have Billboard, Vevo, or Spotify to find out the latest music, songs, and artists around.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/05/16 at 11:24 pm

What's MTV??

Written By: TheKid99 on 04/06/16 at 10:43 am

Mature Television? :P

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/06/16 at 10:45 am

What's MTV??

O0

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/06/16 at 10:46 am

Will the "Unplugged" specials return?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/06/16 at 10:57 am

Video killed the radio star and YouTube killed the video star.

Cat

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/06/16 at 2:58 pm

Video killed the radio star and YouTube killed the video star.

Cat

The Internet killed the video star.

Written By: Howard on 04/06/16 at 3:55 pm

its the news we have been waiting for

I want to see them return to the music we all grew up on.

Written By: Howard on 04/06/16 at 3:56 pm

Bingo. The internet age has been taking over for at least 15 years now. We have Billboard, Vevo, or Spotify to find out the latest music, songs, and artists around.

Maybe there isn't a reason to go back to their roots.

Written By: Howard on 04/06/16 at 3:57 pm

Manure Television.

Written By: Ripley on 04/06/16 at 4:02 pm

Manure Television.

Lol

Written By: Ripley on 04/06/16 at 4:11 pm

If they go back to pre-2000s but not pre-2010s. 80's and 90's MTV or none at all. They can keep The Real World but do it the old way. Not a bunch of young rich brats living it up in a fancy hotel suite like in the Vegas one. You want to show young adults the real world? Put them in a little apartment. I don't recall the old seasons circa early 90's being so extravagant as to where they resided but most 20 year olds on their own don't have much. Maybe a twin bed and Ramen noodles. Or has the real world changed? Do all kids live ultra comfortably now? No more Teen Mom. So many kids want kids because of that show. Bring back the shows about real things like being living with HIV and being a victim of family abuse or abandonment. Biorhyme too. And MTV News. "That's the news for now. Stay tuned for more. On the hour, every hour. Right here on MTV."

Written By: Ripley on 04/06/16 at 4:16 pm

And don't forget the game shows! Say What Kareoke was the last good one. Singled Out was fun, trashy but fun. Even the old Spring Breaks. But the Florida ones. Not Cancun. Club MTV with my House music. I did like the idiotness that was Beavis & Butt-Head. But Daria was brilliant. One of the last good shows from the channel. I had mixed feelings about TRL but don't bring it back. I imagine it will just be a couple video countdown shows and music video blocks at different times. So unless they play old school video hours then what's in it for me?

Written By: Howard on 04/07/16 at 3:32 pm

If they go back to pre-2000s but not pre-2010s. 80's and 90's MTV or none at all. They can keep The Real World but do it the old way. Not a bunch of young rich brats living it up in a fancy hotel suite like in the Vegas one. You want to show young adults the real world? Put them in a little apartment. I don't recall the old seasons circa early 90's being so extravagant as to where they resided but most 20 year olds on their own don't have much. Maybe a twin bed and Ramen noodles. Or has the real world changed? Do all kids live ultra comfortably now? No more Teen Mom. So many kids want kids because of that show. Bring back the shows about real things like being living with HIV and being a victim of family abuse or abandonment. Biorhyme too. And MTV News. "That's the news for now. Stay tuned for more. On the hour, every hour. Right here on MTV."

just no more stupid reality tv, give me back my music.  >:(

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 04/07/16 at 7:33 pm

Praying that Much Music will do the same thing or at least they'll give it back to Moses Ziamner.

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/07/16 at 7:50 pm

I hope they bring back Martha Quinn as a VJ.  :-*

Written By: Howard on 04/08/16 at 8:28 am

I hope they bring back Martha Quinn as a VJ.  :-*

That I would love to see.

Written By: the2001 on 04/09/16 at 8:24 pm

Praying that Much Music will do the same thing or at least they'll give it back to Moses Ziamner.

RIP much music

Written By: aja675 on 04/10/16 at 12:03 am

Come to think about it, a huge difference between the early '10s and the mid '10s would be that in the early '10s, MTV was trashy but it was successful, and today it is flat-out unsuccessful.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/10/16 at 2:07 pm

Come to think about it, a huge difference between the early '10s and the mid '10s would be that in the early '10s, MTV was trashy but it was successful, and today it is flat-out unsuccessful.

I don't think both eras became successful for MTV. It wasn't even good since the late 2000s, when they aired more reality shows than music videos.

Written By: Howard on 04/10/16 at 2:49 pm

I don't think both eras became successful for MTV. It wasn't even good since the late 2000s, when they aired more reality shows than music videos.

But they were better during 1981-1986.

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/10/16 at 8:26 pm

I wish that VH1 would go back to its roots too.  Play music videos, "Behind the Music", and "Pop Up Video" instead of the nonsense they show these days.  ::)

Written By: Howard on 04/11/16 at 2:38 pm

I wish that VH1 would go back to its roots too.  Play music videos, "Behind the Music", and "Pop Up Video" instead of the nonsense they show these days.  ::)

I don't blame you.

Written By: Ripley on 04/11/16 at 5:53 pm

Celebreality is what it's all about now

Written By: muppethammer26 on 04/11/16 at 6:33 pm

I was thinking that the music of the 2010's could have been better should MTV continued to play only music videos.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/11/16 at 6:49 pm

I was thinking that the music of the 2010's could have been better should MTV continued to play only music videos.

Eh. That would be the only thing the 2010s would be worth noticing music-wise, IMO.

Check for new replies or respond here...