inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Signs you're stuck in the early 2010s

Written By: 2001 on 04/21/16 at 9:14 am

Because 2010 is retro now!

*You still check into Foursquare so you can be the mayor of your local Starbucks
*You wear neon orange shoes because you ain't basic
http://undergroundsoles.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/nike-zoom-kobe-vii-orange-silver-1.jpg
*You're angry that movies don't come in 3D versions anymore for your 3DTV
*You've got a watch and you've got it in 10 different colours, or at least the essential colours (red, orange, lime green, yellow). Black will not be accepted.
http://insitu.hu/kepek/toneontone_004.jpg
*You know Android is better than iOS because you can change your background photo
*You text your friend and remind him that you still have the high score in Angry Birds
*You bought on Xbox One with Kinect because you thought your friends would come over to play Just Dance
*You search high and low for a Chrome extension that will bring the old YouTube subscription page back.
*You still look up what Snooki or the Kardashians are up to.
*You Tweet about the Iran Protests or the Arab Spring and you feel like you're part of the movement.
*You're still stockpiling for when the world ends on December 21, 2012.
*You wonder how many buttons you can take off your V-neck before it becomes scandalous
https://www.singer22.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/212.jpg
*Your sunglasses cover at least 90% of your face. Who needs sunscreen?
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/41/04/6b/41046b70c79f67b21c0f4ae8d84d8cf5.jpg

Subject: Re: Signs you're stuck in the early 2010s

Written By: SpyroKev on 04/21/16 at 9:47 am

You still play Saints Row 3, not acknowledging the existence of the sequel.
Beats by Dre is the new thing.
Your addicted to Skyrim.
Your still coping with Google announcing the YouTube panda layout change.
Drake, Big Sean and Rick Ross are the new rappers.
YouTube sub 4 sub is still a thing.
Your anticipated for Cartoon Network Saturdays.
Your aware that Nicki Minaj is the new female rapper.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/21/16 at 9:49 am

You're not stuck in the early 2010s if you hate it so much, like me.

Written By: 2001 on 04/21/16 at 9:57 am

You still play Saints Row 3, not acknowledging the existence of the sequel.
Beats by Dre is the new thing.
Your addicted to Skyrim.
Your still coping with Google announcing the YouTube panda layout change.
Drake, Big Sean and Rick Ross are the new rappers.
YouTube sub 4 sub is still a thing.
Your anticipated for Cartoon Network Saturdays.
Your aware that Nicki Minaj is the new female rapper.

Hahaha, Skyrim.

*You still think "take an arrow to the knee" is a funny joke  ;D

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/21/16 at 9:59 am

Hahaha, Skyrim.

That joke was never funny to begin with, IMO.

Written By: SpyroKev on 04/21/16 at 10:13 am

Hahaha, Skyrim.

I forgot to add, if your apart of Toonami's older audience, you feel the to watch the program. Haha I admit to using the arrow to the knee joke once.

Written By: 2001 on 04/21/16 at 10:15 am

That joke was never funny to begin with, IMO.

Did you play the game?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/21/16 at 12:52 pm

Did you play the game?

No, but they had that meme everywhere during the early 2010s. It was annoying as f*ck.

Written By: 2001 on 04/21/16 at 1:17 pm

No, but they had that meme everywhere during the early 2010s. It was annoying as f*ck.

What about Ocarina of Time?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/21/16 at 1:27 pm

What about Ocarina of Time?

I think that was a parody of that meme. But it wasn't as bad as the original Skyrim memes. If this is about whenever I played Ocarina of Time, I didn't.

Written By: TheKid99 on 04/21/16 at 1:27 pm

You still love wearing cargo everything!

Written By: 2001 on 04/21/16 at 1:33 pm

I think that was a parody of that meme. But it wasn't as bad as the original Skyrim memes. If this is about whenever I played Ocarina of Time, I didn't.

Oh, I was going to say if you found the Navi jokes funny then you would've found the Knee jokes funny.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/21/16 at 1:36 pm

Oh, I was going to say if you found the Navi jokes funny then you would've found the Knee jokes funny.

The Navi jokes were a bit funny. It made sense since Navi was an annoying NPC.

Written By: 2001 on 04/21/16 at 1:42 pm

You still love wearing cargo everything!

Early 10s, not early 2000s!  ;D Or are you talking something other than pants?  :o One of my friends wears a cargo jacket. It's in neon green, sort of this colour  :D I wanna steal it.

http://g03.a.alicdn.com/kf/HTB14QlDJpXXXXaYXXXXq6xXFXXXU/M-3XL-2015-Autumn-Winter-Brand-AFS-font-b-JEEP-b-font-Fleece-font-b-Cargo.jpg

The Navi jokes were a bit funny. It made sense since Navi was an annoying NPC.

So was the arrow to the knee dude.  ;D

Written By: 2001 on 04/21/16 at 4:07 pm

*You call up your friends to come over and watch Breaking Bad with you.
*Everyday you're shufflin'
*You still play Gangnam Style at house parties... And still flawlessly know the entire dance.
*You try to play "The Floor is Lava" with your friends but some are big and muscular now so they end breaking chairs or pushing the girls too hard... Ouch.
*Ever since watching Deathly Hollows, every sentence ever uttered has been a Harry Potter reference to you.

Written By: batfan2005 on 04/22/16 at 6:10 pm

- You have a HTC phone
- You still have a digital camera and upload pics to your laptop
- You still download music on iTunes on your laptop and then copy them to your iPod (or iPhone 4, lol)
- You wear skinny jeans
- You still shuffle (Party Rock Anthem)
- You listen to Lady Gaga and Ke$ha
- You still plank, Faith Hill, Brady, or Taylor Swift in your pics (Lol, a South Park reference)

Written By: 2001 on 04/22/16 at 6:52 pm

- You have a HTC phone
- You still download music on iTunes on your laptop and then copy them to your iPod (or iPhone 4, lol)
- You wear skinny jeans
- You still shuffle (Party Rock Anthem)
- You listen to Lady Gaga and Ke$ha
- You still plank, Faith Hill, Brady, or Taylor Swift in your pics (Lol, a South Park reference)

I wish that were a real meme.  ;D But at least we got the heart hands.

http://data.whicdn.com/images/62988077/large.jpg

-You still make the hand heart in your photos.

Written By: bchris02 on 04/22/16 at 6:58 pm

Still makes jokes in your Facebook status from Adele's song "Rumor has it", something "Ah I have to clean now...BROOMER HAS IT"

Written By: Howard on 04/23/16 at 8:05 am

I wish that were a real meme.  ;D But at least we got the heart hands.

http://data.whicdn.com/images/62988077/large.jpg

-You still make the hand heart in your photos.

I see that a lot lately.

Written By: Arrowstone on 04/24/16 at 6:37 am

Well yeah, though the phone provides sharper pics, it can't function on vacation due to BATTERY life;
and the cam is easier to hold; when I make pics with my phone I always move it or tremble.

I do that; or I transfer CDs to iTunes.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/24/16 at 9:43 am

So was the arrow to the knee dude.  ;D

But it didn't have the charisma that Navi had. It's why I find Navi more memorable than the people that say "Arrow to the Knee".

Written By: #Infinity on 04/24/16 at 3:39 pm

* You still think Lady Gaga and Ke$ha are the definitive artists of the decade.
* You expect new episodes of Nostalgia Critic to be good.
* You're more intrigued by Walt and Jesse than Saul and Mike.
* You don't notice any distinct fashion trends besides those from isolated subcultures.
* You still like Apple.
* "Rape culture" and "gender fluidity" are foreign concepts to you.
* You're still bashing the Twilight Saga movies.
* You prefer a cozy sofa and a flatscreen television over a small tablet or computer screen to watch your favorite television shows and movies.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/24/16 at 3:42 pm

* You don't notice any distinct fashion trends besides those from isolated subcultures.
* You still like Apple.
* You prefer a cozy sofa and a flatscreen television over a small tablet or computer screen to watch your favorite television shows and movies.

1. I think Lady Gaga and Kesha are still memorable up to this day. Even if they haven't made any new songs for a few years now.
2. Even though the Nostalgia Critic sucks nowadays, I still find some of his newer reviews to be okay.
3. I only like Apple because their smartphones are better than Andriods, IMO.
4. I find flatscreen TVs more comfortable than using a goddamn tablet to watch movies.

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/24/16 at 4:43 pm

* You still like Apple.

What is "rape culture"? ???

And I don't have a flatscreen TV. My tube-style unit is still going strong.  8)

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/24/16 at 5:32 pm

What is "rape culture"? ???

Rape culture is where feminists believe that the act of rape is normalized, due to gender issues. It's actually weird, since feminists only participate in this culture, and no one else agrees with it.

Written By: #Infinity on 04/24/16 at 6:05 pm

1. I think Lady Gaga and Kesha are still memorable up to this day. Even if they haven't made any new songs for a few years now.

Ke$ha's music career may as well be over, considering she wants out of her contract. Lady Gaga was on the brink of death during her period of fame, so I don't expect her to be at the forefront of late 2010s music.

2. Even though the Nostalgia Critic sucks nowadays, I still find some of his newer reviews to be okay.

That is true that some of them are still enjoyable, but the shift towards Malcolm and Tamara skits and present day fads, not to mention Demo Reel-ing movies still in theaters, have obliterated the original spirit of the show.

3. I only like Apple because their smartphones are better than Andriods, IMO.

The death of Steve Jobs hurt the company more than I expected. Prior to his death, the company was still a pioneer for technological innovation. Ever since then, however, they've become nothing but a greedy corporation, redesigning outlets and abandoning PowerPC just for the sake of selling more products.

4. I find flatscreen TVs more comfortable than using a goddamn tablet to watch movies.

I agree, but people this decade watch their favorite movies and tv shows on the go or on their lap more than ever before, since the technology (or at least its popularity) has caught up.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/24/16 at 6:24 pm

Ke$ha's music career may as well be over, considering she wants out of her contract. Lady Gaga was on the brink of death during her period of fame, so I don't expect her to be at the forefront of late 2010s music.

Eh.

That is true that some of them are still enjoyable, but the shift towards Malcolm and Tamara skits and present day fads, not to mention Demo Reel-ing movies still in theaters, have obliterated the original spirit of the show.

I agree with that, since the skits aren't even funny to start with. They're just ways to give out Doug's fanboyism towards certain films. He's just a less-serious Mr. Enter. Like how he praises today's cartoons, acts like his childhood actually matters in his reviews, gets upset over minor bullsheesh, etc. They're both reviewers that try to act funny, but in reality, they don't. But at least the NC is more entertaining than Mr. Enter.

The death of Steve Jobs hurt the company more than I expected. Prior to his death, the company was still a pioneer for technological innovation. Ever since then, however, they've become nothing but a greedy corporation, redesigning outlets and abandoning PowerPC just for the sake of selling more products.

This is entirely true. After 2011, Apple was just a piece of sh*t. All they cared about was making the iPhone a big success, while ignoring what Steve Jobs wanted for his company. Tim Cook is basically the Stuart Snyder of Apple. They both ruined what their brands stood for, and turned them into pieces of sh*t. Except that Stuart Snyder was fired from Cartoon Network, and Christina Miller made it better. Tim Cook is still the CEO, yet he's ruining the company. Apple should've made someone else that Steve trusted as the CEO, instead of that f*cking bastard.

I agree, but people this decade watch their favorite movies and tv shows on the go or on their lap more than ever before, since the technology (or at least its popularity) has caught up.

Yeah. I could tell since a lot of people use iPads/iPhones everywhere I go in my city.

Written By: 2001 on 04/24/16 at 9:54 pm

I feel like I'm going in the opposite direction from most people on this one. Ever since about 2006, I've been watching/downloading most TV shows and movies online, even if I had the channels. But in 2015 I bought a Chromecast and plugged it into my TV, so now I'm watching all my shows on the big screen again. Netflix and Ici tou.tv (French Canadian programming) keep me more than occupied.

Written By: Toon on 04/24/16 at 9:59 pm

Nowadays it's a mix of people watching TV or streaming it on other devices. I don't watch TV anymore, but I know quite a few people who do.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/07/16 at 10:22 pm

The early 2010s were really, really cheesy.  :D Anyone else notice that?

prmmCg5bKxA
UhQz-0QVmQ0

Written By: #Infinity on 08/08/16 at 1:24 am

prmmCg5bKxA

As much as I think 2010 is one of the best years for music since the start of the century, the track above is one of my absolute least favorite pop hits of all time. However, the absolute worst pop song ever made, ironically also from 2010, would definitely have to be this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aRor905cCw

Written By: bchris02 on 08/08/16 at 11:49 am

As much as I think 2010 is one of the best years for music since the start of the century, the track above is one of my absolute least favorite pop hits of all time. However, the absolute worst pop song ever made, ironically also from 2010, would definitely have to be this:

I agree with the second song.  I liked the first one, but Billionaire is one of the worst songs to ever be made, almost as bad as 'Friday'.

Eenie Meenie was alright though.  I agree that 2010 was one of the best years for music since the start of the century and remains so today.

Written By: #Infinity on 08/08/16 at 12:24 pm

I agree with the second song.  I liked the first one, but Billionaire is one of the worst songs to ever be made, almost as bad as 'Friday'.

Yeah, it's right down there with "Friday." Every second of that chorus is sheer agony. I'm usually much more accepting and often even embracing of cute, simple pop songs than most music enthusiasts are, but the whole premise of "Billionaire" is appalling egotistical. The song would actually be slightly better, if still incredibly sappy, if it was called "Millionaire" instead, but Trump levels of wealth? You sure can't sugarcoat that ridiculous gesture with such a childish tune.

Written By: Fearsword on 08/08/16 at 3:41 pm

My little sister is obsessed with that song haha and it was one of my guilty pleasures. But over time, I've found it to be insanely annoying.

Written By: batfan2005 on 08/08/16 at 7:39 pm

Here's some more:

-You still post Facebook statuses in third person.
-You end a ranting post on FB with "FML"
-You ever type "YOLO" in your FB posts
-You use the words "epic" or "fail", or "epic fail".
-You play Angry Birds instead of Pokemon Go

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/08/16 at 11:16 pm

Fashion is colorful and bright
Every console still has a movement remote (Wiimote, PS Move and Kinect)
LMFAO is still one of the biggest groups out there
Electropop is everywhere!
No BLM, SJWs and threats being everyplace
Social media is not as ubiquitous
Lady Gaga and Nicki Minaj wearing their bizarre outfits
Harry Potter is still current
Not much Trap rap
FB statuses where someone will "like" one to get a TBH, what I like about you, rating etc.

Written By: bchris02 on 08/09/16 at 2:13 pm

Here's some more:

-You still post Facebook statuses in third person.
-You end a ranting post on FB with "FML"
-You ever type "YOLO" in your FB posts
-You use the words "epic" or "fail", or "epic fail".
-You play Angry Birds instead of Pokemon Go

Good one here.  Everything in 2010 and 2011 was either epic or an epic fail.

Written By: #Infinity on 08/09/16 at 3:08 pm

Good one here.  Everything in 2010 and 2011 was either epic or an epic fail.

Everybody I knew in 12th grade (2010-2011) used the "AWK!" exclamation that apparently originated in Glee; so popular was the phrase that the Jazz octet I was in changed its name to the "Awktet" that year.

Written By: Looney Toon on 08/09/16 at 4:45 pm

When you used to say "gay" for things that you didn't like. Nowadays people would get upset for you doing that, but back in 2010 I remember a lot of people using it like that.

For example:
"This is gay" = "This is stupid"

"That music was gay, dawg" = "That music sucked"

I can't quite remember when people stopped using "gay" in an incorrect way, but I now it was sometime within the early 2010s.

This is how it used to be back in Florida, but I'm curious if it was like this other states.

Written By: mqg96 on 08/09/16 at 4:49 pm

Yeah, it's right down there with "Friday." Every second of that chorus is sheer agony. I'm usually much more accepting and often even embracing of cute, simple pop songs than most music enthusiasts are, but the whole premise of "Billionaire" is appalling egotistical. The song would actually be slightly better, if still incredibly sappy, if it was called "Millionaire" instead, but Trump levels of wealth? You sure can't sugarcoat that ridiculous gesture with such a childish tune.

I agree with Billioniare being one of the worst songs of 2010. I wasn't as much of a fan of Soul Sister either but at least it was better than the other. Ludacris and Nicki Minaj - My Chick Bad is another song from 2010 that was one of my least favorites, and I don't understand why I used to like it when I was younger. Most of 2010 music was really good though. Friday is from 2011 so thank God it won't be remembered being part of 2010 music.

Written By: Catherine91UK on 08/14/16 at 10:35 am

You still say "There's an app for that"!

Written By: Slim95 on 08/14/16 at 11:13 am

You still say YOLO and SWAG and you are still obsessed with using hashtags.

Written By: Howard on 08/14/16 at 12:58 pm

You still say "There's an app for that"!

There's an app for everything nowadays.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/14/16 at 1:00 pm

There's an app for everything nowadays.

Well yeah obviously. It's what mobile phones today are for.

Written By: batfan2005 on 08/14/16 at 4:10 pm

Well yeah obviously. It's what mobile phones today are for.

If you think iPhones are the best smart phones, and the ONLY type of phone you can download apps to.

FL7yD-0pqZg

Written By: SpyroKev on 08/15/16 at 8:12 am

You still say YOLO and SWAG and you are still obsessed with using hashtags.

I completely forgot about Yolo. It recall it being only a 2012-2013 thing.

Written By: mqg96 on 08/15/16 at 11:08 am

I completely forgot about Yolo. It recall it being only a 2012-2013 thing.

SWAG peaked throughout 2010.

YOLO peaked throughout 2012.

Written By: KatanaChick on 12/18/17 at 3:04 pm

Did you play the game?

I play it now and it's a fun game, but the quote the guards say "Maybe I'm the dragon born and just don't know it yet," is funnier. I hope Bethesda comes out with a new Elder Scrolls set in one of the warm countries though, something different from a medieval Europe inspired setting.

SWAG peaked throughout 2010.

YOLO peaked throughout 2012.

Still better than saying "On fleek."  :D  I've never heard anyone use any of those terms unironically though.

Written By: bchris02 on 12/18/17 at 6:54 pm

Hahaha, Skyrim.

Lol...I forgot about this.  Was big into Skyrim back in 2011...and then I took an arrow to the knee.

Written By: wixness on 12/19/17 at 10:38 am

If you're a dude, you either still wear your hair in the emo style or otherwise keep clean shaven on your face

You've never really heard of vaporwave

As per #Infinity, you believe there are only two genders, but you're still seen as cool and saintly for sticking up for the LGBT community

You own a Windows phone and eat popcorn to the Android/iOS debates over stuff like camera quality, updates and security

You've never heard of Overwatch or PUBG

You and your friends consider yourself liberal (in contrast to this part of the decade)

Written By: SpyroKev on 12/20/17 at 11:44 am

You still listen to early Drake.

Written By: Rainbowz on 12/20/17 at 11:50 am

Drake the type of nigga to do drugs with a D.A.R.E shirt on

Written By: 2001 on 12/20/17 at 11:55 am

Started from the bottom is still a gay anthem.

Written By: ofkx on 12/20/17 at 12:11 pm

You think Justin Bieber is a girl and still make rage comics.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 12/21/17 at 11:40 am

Windows 7
Twilight
Dubstep
early Nicki Minaj
Eminem's Comeback
Droids
Instagram, Vine, and Snapchat not on the radar
early Bruno Mars
7th Generation gaming
Ariana Grande is/was a Nickelodeon star, not a singer
Digital cameras used
Itouch
Pre-timeline Facebook. It was called Wall.
You still have a non-smartphone
TV watching was either cable or Youtube

Check for new replies or respond here...