inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Are you bad at video games if you start late?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/25/16 at 11:02 am

I'm not very good at video games, and that's probably because I started to play them at 8 years old. Which is late to some people. So, I'm asking some people if that's a bad thing or good thing.

Subject: Re: Are you bad at video games if you start late?

Written By: 2001 on 04/25/16 at 11:21 am

No, I don't think so. Are you trying to get into eSports or do you just want to have fun? If the latter then it's never too late.

One of my friends bought his Xbox 360 when he was 13, his first console, now he's MLG in Halo 3.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/25/16 at 11:24 am

No, I don't think so. Are you trying to get into eSports or do you just want to have fun? If the latter then it's never too late.

No, it's just that I wanna fun. However, I don't feel like having fun whenever I'm playing video games. I don't even feel like a hardcore gamer.

Written By: 2001 on 04/25/16 at 11:30 am

No, it's just that I wanna fun. However, I don't feel like having fun whenever I'm playing video games. I don't even feel like a hardcore gamer.

I just play Just Dance and Mario Party 2 nowadays, I don't know if I'd consider myself a hardcore gamer anymore.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/25/16 at 11:43 am

I just play Just Dance and Mario Party 2 nowadays, I don't know if I'd consider myself a hardcore gamer anymore.

Yeah but everywhere I go (especially on YouTube), they just advertise video games non stop. You have channels like PewDiePie, Markiplier, Smosh Games, Chuggaconroy, PeanutButterGamer, JonTron, The Game Theorists, etc. They're basically the most popular YouTube channels out there, and nobody outside of gaming gets that much fame as them. It's sad, since it wasn't like this back in the late 2000s. You had a variety of channels that were popular. Hell, nostalgia was even a popular subject on the site back in 2007-2010.

Written By: 2001 on 04/25/16 at 11:46 am

Yeah but everywhere I go (especially on YouTube), they just advertise video games non stop. You have channels like PewDiePie, Markiplier, Smosh Games, Chuggaconroy, PeanutButterGamer, JonTron, The Game Theorists, etc. They're basically the most popular YouTube channels out there, and nobody outside of gaming gets that much fame as them. It's sad, since it wasn't like this back in the late 2000s. You had a variety of channels that were popular. Hell, nostalgia was even a popular subject on the site back in 2007-2010.

You want to start a gaming channel? I don't know if you need to be good at games for that. You just have to be loud and funny, maybe pick interesting games.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/25/16 at 11:52 am

You want to start a gaming channel? I don't know if you need to be good at games for that. You just have to be loud and funny, maybe pick interesting games.

No. It's that I kinda suck at video games and that I don't find video games to be very nostalgic for me.

Written By: 2001 on 04/25/16 at 12:04 pm

No. It's that I kinda suck at video games and that I don't find video games to be very nostalgic for me.

Maybe because, as you said, you didn't play many games?  :P

Written By: mqg96 on 04/25/16 at 1:00 pm

I didn't start playing real video games until I was 7 years old, which isn't bad at all, but even then I was mostly into one genre of gaming then, which was racing. It wasn't until I was 10 when I started getting into a lot more genres like platforms, first person shooters, action/adventure, or sports. Before then it was mostly racing and a very few action/fighting games. I wouldn't mind calling myself a casual gamer throughout my life span so far. I only got games for the Nintendo or XBOX growing up. I never owned a Playstation console or handheld growing up but now looking back I regret it.

Written By: mqg96 on 04/25/16 at 1:06 pm

I'm not very good at video games, and that's probably because I started to play them at 8 years old. Which is late to some people. So, I'm asking some people if that's a bad thing or good thing.

Another thing I should bring up is that since you said you didn't start playing video games until you were 8, that would mean that it wasn't until the 7th generation era when you were really hooked into gaming, which means you missed out on a lot of the glory that was offered throughout the classic 4th, 5th, and 6th generation gaming eras when there was still a lot of variety out there and more competition. Someone could have started playing video games when they were 9 or 10 years old, but it wouldn't be considered as late because that person might have been born in the 80's and started in the middle of 4th generation gaming for example, when Nintendo and Sega were still big rivals in the industry. I would consider myself getting into gaming pretty late as well, considering that I missed out on 4th & 5th generation in its prime.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/25/16 at 1:07 pm

Maybe because, as you said, you didn't play many games?  :P

That could be true. After all, I only owned about 15 Wii games, 2 Xbox 360 games, 6 PSP games, 9 DS games, and 3 3DS games. I started my collection in 2008, and stopped playing them all in 2012.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/25/16 at 1:19 pm

Another thing I should bring up is that since you said you didn't start playing video games until you were 8, that would mean that it wasn't until the 7th generation era when you were really hooked into gaming, which means you missed out on a lot of the glory that was offered throughout the classic 4th, 5th, and 6th generation gaming eras when there was still a lot of variety out there and more competition. Someone could have started playing video games when they were 9 or 10 years old, but it wouldn't be considered as late because that person might have been born in the 80's and started in the middle of 4th generation gaming for example, when Nintendo and Sega were still big rivals in the industry. I would consider myself getting into gaming pretty late as well, considering that I missed out on 4th & 5th generation in its prime.

To be fair, I was really into video games during the 7th generation. The Wii, PS3, and Xbox 360 were some of the greatest video game consoles I've seen. But after 2012, I wasn't into video games anymore (except for emulators). It's just that I didn't enjoy what the Wii U, Xbox One, and the PS4 offered.

Written By: snozberries on 04/25/16 at 2:03 pm

it's more about your hand/eye coordination than age you were when you started playing. 

there are people who started way later than 8 who are probably better than you are just because they see things differently or have better timing.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/25/16 at 2:23 pm

it's more about your hand/eye coordination than age you were when you started playing. 

there are people who started way later than 8 who are probably better than you are just because they see things differently or have better timing.

I think that makes sense. I'm more used into keyboards and computer mices than game controllers. Whenever I use them, it gives me better hand-eye coordination.

Written By: Howard on 04/25/16 at 2:50 pm

I used to be quite good at video games.

Written By: Howard on 04/25/16 at 2:51 pm

I started playing video games when I was in my late teens.

Written By: #Infinity on 04/25/16 at 4:20 pm

As much as I hate to say it, it makes a pretty big difference to start playing video games before age 5 because the vast majority of your brain develops before that age. Building the muscle memory sooner means you're a destined pro.

Me personally, although I played plenty of computer games as a toddler in 1996 and 1997, it wasn't until summer 1998, not long before I turned 6, that I was introduced to Nintendo. I think my dad may have owned a PS1 before that, which had a cool xtreme sports game called 2Xtreme, but it was really more coming into kindergarten that I fell in love with video games and so badly wanted to own a Nintendo 64 so I could play Mario Kart 64 and Super Mario 64 anytime I wanted. I feel I've never been the absolute best gamer, that my gamer friends tended to slightly outmatch me in Super Smash Bros., but I do consider myself at least decent, if not an absolute master, of Dance Dance Revolution (I've gotten a lot of AAA's on the home versions and can pass almost any chart in In the Groove), as well as Star Fox 64 (my high score is 1985 hits, though I've wanted to break 2000).

Written By: 2001 on 04/25/16 at 5:24 pm

I think he's saying he started at a late age (8 years old), rather than a late year. If he started at a late year it wouldn't matter. There are many pro gamers that are teenagers who probably didn't start gaming until well into the 2000s.

As for me, I started gaming when I (or my dad, rather) bought an Atari 2600 and an NES at a garage sale when I was 2/3. I'd say I'm above average at most games. There are a few games that people refuse to play with me, and I'm at the top 20 in the leaderboards the for a few games, such as Bayonets and Braid, as well as Catherine which is considered one of the most difficult 7th Gen games. I feel like I'm bragging  :-[ I wouldn't say I'm naturally good at games, I only have a competitive streak. We all start somewhere...

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/25/16 at 6:02 pm

As much as I hate to say it, it makes a pretty big difference to start playing video games before age 5 because the vast majority of your brain develops before that age. Building the muscle memory sooner means you're a destined pro.

Okay. So, what if I never knew what a Nintendo, Sega, or even an Atari was before I was about 7 and a half? My cousins never really shown me what it was, since I was more into watching television at the ages of 3-7. Even if they did, I wouldn't even feel interested at all. That's why most of my childhood (before I turned eight) was watching TV or playing computer games from these websites.

http://www.shockwave.com/home.jsp
http://www.bigfishgames.com/
http://www.wildtangent.com/
http://hipsoft.com/
https://web.archive.org/web/20050828040652/http://www.nick.com/
https://web.archive.org/web/20050614233821/http://www.nickjr.com/
https://web.archive.org/web/20070323115704/http://www.cartoonnetwork.com/?

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/25/16 at 7:03 pm

I have to say, it depends on what kind of gamer you are. From your description, you're more of a casual gamer as you stated you began playing console games later; however, like others said, it's never too late to start.

I didn't start playing real video games until I was 7 years old, which isn't bad at all, but even then I was mostly into one genre of gaming then, which was racing. It wasn't until I was 10 when I started getting into a lot more genres like platforms, first person shooters, action/adventure, or sports. Before then it was mostly racing and a very few action/fighting games. I wouldn't mind calling myself a casual gamer throughout my life span so far. I only got games for the Nintendo or XBOX growing up. I never owned a Playstation console or handheld growing up but now looking back I regret it.

I started playing video games when I was in my late teens.

Me personally, although I played plenty of computer games as a toddler in 1996 and 1997, it wasn't until summer 1998, not long before I turned 6, that I was introduced to Nintendo. I think my dad may have owned a PS1 before that, which had a cool xtreme sports game called 2Xtreme, but it was really more coming into kindergarten that I fell in love with video games and so badly wanted to own a Nintendo 64 so I could play Mario Kart 64 and Super Mario 64 anytime I wanted. I feel I've never been the absolute best gamer, that my gamer friends tended to slightly outmatch me in Super Smash Bros., but I do consider myself at least decent, if not an absolute master, of Dance Dance Revolution (I've gotten a lot of AAA's on the home versions and can pass almost any chart in In the Groove), as well as Star Fox 64 (my high score is 1985 hits, though I've wanted to break 2000).

I think he's saying he started at a late age (8 years old), rather than a late year. If he started at a late year it wouldn't matter. There are many pro gamers that are teenagers who probably didn't start gaming until well into the 2000s.

As for me, I started gaming when I (or my dad, rather) bought an Atari 2600 and an NES at a garage sale when I was 2/3. I'd say I'm above average at most games. There are a few games that people refuse to play with me, and I'm at the top 20 in the leaderboards the for a few games, such as Bayonets and Braid, as well as Catherine which is considered one of the most difficult 7th Gen games. I feel like I'm bragging  :-[ I wouldn't say I'm naturally good at games, I only have a competitive streak. We all start somewhere...
I'm probably in the minority along with SlowPoke. I began gaming during the 4th Generation days when I was 2 playing on the SNES. Ever since, I've been a hardcore gamer as I'd played many game genres ranging from platformers to FPSes. A little later as a kid, I also played PC games on Windows 98.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/25/16 at 7:14 pm

I have to say, it depends on what kind of gamer you are. From your description, you're more of a casual gamer as you stated you began playing console games later; however, like others said, it's never too late to start.

Honestly, I'll pick casual gamer as my title of video games.

Written By: Toon on 04/25/16 at 7:17 pm

There is probably a small difference for when playing video games an early age versus at a late age. I admit that I think age 8 is a late age to start. I always thought that it would be good to start playing at around ages 3, 4 , or 5. I started gaming at age 4 and nowadays I've become quite good at video games. But in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter when you start. You can start at 8 and considering how much time you've spent playing video games as of today you should be a pro by now. But some just aren't as good at video games due to not being as interested in them.

Look at all the greatest video game tournament players in the world. These guys aren't skilled just because they started at age 3-5. They're skilled because they're very interested in video games. They would be up all night playing a certain game and learning all the tricks/rules. You'd only do things like this if you were really interested in playing video games.

The only thing that I think may be important about playing at ages 3-5 is that it'll effect your tastes. If you've been playing games your preschool days then chances are you'll be very interested in video games up to this day. But if you start a late age then you may have a different view on a video games. But even then this only really applies to certain people.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/25/16 at 7:46 pm

The only thing that I think may be important about playing at ages 3-5 is that it'll effect your tastes. If you've been playing games your preschool days then chances are you'll be very interested in video games up to this day. But if you start a late age then you may have a different view on a video games. But even then this only really applies to certain people.

I might say that's true. As somebody who's only been into the gaming community since 2008, that may be something very different. Compared to gamers who played actual video games since they were 3/4, they are really nostalgic for video games. I for one, only like games from the 80s to the 2000s. Which is because I was fascinated with older games when I was a kid. So I played emulators throughout the time I liked video games.

Written By: #Infinity on 04/25/16 at 8:09 pm

I love the 3rd and 4th generations of gaming, but I could never really get into titles from the Atari Age. They'll really simplistic and don't give you the same feeling of adventure or accomplishment upon playing them.

Written By: 2001 on 04/25/16 at 8:15 pm

I love the 3rd and 4th generations of gaming, but I could never really get into titles from the Atari Age. They'll really simplistic and don't give you the same feeling of adventure or accomplishment upon playing them.
They're very arcade style, and the joystick helps to reinforce that feeling. I was mostly obsessed with shoot em ups, especially if they were on-rails. I wish I could remember the names.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/25/16 at 8:20 pm

The Atari Age wasn't really that good for gaming. It was simply the dark age for video games, since the North American video age crash of 1983 happened at the time.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/25/16 at 8:20 pm

They're very arcade style, and the joystick helps to reinforce that feeling. I was mostly obsessed with shoot em ups, especially if they were on-rails. I wish I could remember the names.

Me too!!!! I honestly think the 2nd (yeah, they had great games despite the game crash) to 6th generations were the best for gaming in general.

Written By: mqg96 on 04/25/16 at 8:40 pm

I was also playing CD-ROM games on Windows 98 or XP before I started playing video games. I was hooked into M&M's Lost Formula and Planet Hot Wheels on the computer back then.

Written By: mqg96 on 04/25/16 at 8:44 pm

There is probably a small difference for when playing video games an early age versus at a late age. I admit that I think age 8 is a late age to start. I always thought that it would be good to start playing at around ages 3, 4 , or 5. I started gaming at age 4 and nowadays I've become quite good at video games. But in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter when you start. You can start at 8 and considering how much time you've spent playing video games as of today you should be a pro by now. But some just aren't as good at video games due to not being as interested in them.

People start getting into pop culture at different times or different ages. Same can go for when people start getting into kid channels or cartoons or when people start getting into music and following sports or celebrities. I know people near my age who didn't have cable the first half of their childhood so they couldn't start watching cartoons until they were around 9 or 10 years old  :o

I have many friends who didn't start getting into video games until they were 9 or 10. Trust me. Being the oldest brother or sister can be a huge difference than being the youngest one and following people's footsteps.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/25/16 at 9:12 pm

I don't think it really makes much difference, honestly. I started playing games at a young age (around 1990 or 1991), and got my first console as a 5-year-old, but, to tell you the truth, I wasn't really much of a gamer until I was about 10.

In my early years, gaming for me mostly consisted of hooking up my Sega Genesis and playing Sonic the Hedgehog for about 20 minutes before I got bored and went back outside to go play. Things didn't really change for me until I played Super Mario 64. That game just completely hooked me in a way that nothing had up to that point. I would literally spend like 3 or 4 hour chunks at a time trying to figure out how to unlock the Vanish Cap, or discover if Luigi really was a playable character, or whatever. Then I started playing Final Fantasy VII and Ocarina of Time, and that was it for my free time.

But, despite not being a big-time gamer at a young age, I don't feel like it's really had any effect on my gaming abilities over the years.

Written By: #Infinity on 04/25/16 at 10:33 pm

The Atari Age wasn't really that good for gaming. It was simply the dark age for video games, since the North American video age crash of 1983 happened at the time.

Well, in the late 70s and early 80s, video games were an absolutely mind-blowing phenomenon that utterly transformed the way people could spend their free time. Just being able to pick up a joystick and directly interact with a fictional universe was a mesmerizing feeling, keeping in mind that color television had only just recently become standard and most free time was still either spent mostly outside or with a book.

The problem is really just that the second generation of gaming has not aged all that well, not just due to graphics, but also because the gameplay standards of the industry have changed so quickly. There are still a lot of mobile games with gameplay comparable to early 80s Atari titles (i.e., Temple Run), but otherwise, third generation and onwards are a lot more holistic an experience.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/26/16 at 7:05 am

Well, in the late 70s and early 80s, video games were an absolutely mind-blowing phenomenon that utterly transformed the way people could spend their free time. Just being able to pick up a joystick and directly interact with a fictional universe was a mesmerizing feeling, keeping in mind that color television had only just recently become standard and most free time was still either spent mostly outside or with a book.

The problem is really just that the second generation of gaming has not aged all that well, not just due to graphics, but also because the gameplay standards of the industry have changed so quickly. There are still a lot of mobile games with gameplay comparable to early 80s Atari titles (i.e., Temple Run), but otherwise, third generation and onwards are a lot more holistic an experience.

Yeah, I could say that the third to sixth generations of video games aged better than the first two. They had successful consoles, games, etc. It's what made them really memorable at the time.

Written By: musicguy93 on 04/26/16 at 2:30 pm

It's hard to say. I started playing video games around the time I turned 6, and I'd say I'm pretty decent at games. Of course when I was a kid, I was a little below average. It's almost embarrassing to admit, but it took me a little over a year to beat Ocarina of Time my first time through the game.

Written By: Howard on 04/26/16 at 3:02 pm

the console was easy to operate.

Written By: 2001 on 04/26/16 at 3:11 pm

It's hard to say. I started playing video games around the time I turned 6, and I'd say I'm pretty decent at games. Of course when I was a kid, I was a little below average. It's almost embarrassing to admit, but it took me a little over a year to beat Ocarina of Time my first time through the game.

It's been 13 years and I still haven't finished Wind Waker. It's also been 5 years and I haven't finished Skyward Sword but the controls in that game were BS so I ain't even mad (shame since the puzzles and level design were spectacular). You should have been in school during 1998-99 school year, I just brought my OoT cartridge over to my friend's house and we'd all try to finish that game together LOL It was a community effort to finish that game.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/26/16 at 3:17 pm

Looking at this thread, I think I know why I wasn't that interested into video games. I grew up in the 2000s, which is when video games were somehow good, but not as cool as the 3rd-5th generations. The 6th generation was alright, but after that, it was very different than the others. For instance, there was online gaming in consoles, which seemed to change the gaming industry forever with that. So naturally, I never really got to play a video game console that didn't have any Internet capabilities. Although I went to an arcade which had a variety of old consoles, but I only went there for two hours.

Written By: Toon on 04/26/16 at 3:56 pm

People start getting into pop culture at different times or different ages. Same can go for when people start getting into kid channels or cartoons or when people start getting into music and following sports or celebrities. I know people near my age who didn't have cable the first half of their childhood so they couldn't start watching cartoons until they were around 9 or 10 years old  :o

I have many friends who didn't start getting into video games until they were 9 or 10. Trust me. Being the oldest brother or sister can be a huge difference than being the youngest one and following people's footsteps.

9 or 10? Or wow. I can't imagine spending most of my childhood without cartoons or video games. Most of my friends and family started when they were between 3-5. As for being the oldest sibling I know how that feels due to have being the oldest of 11.

Written By: mqg96 on 04/26/16 at 4:01 pm

9 or 10? Or wow. I can't imagine spending most of my childhood without cartoons or video games. Most of my friends and family started when they were between 3-5. As for being the oldest sibling I know how that feels due to have being the oldest of 11.

I didn't become a true watcher of kid shows until I was 5 1/2, but I didn't really become a true gamer until I was 9 or 10. Even though I got my GameCube when I was 7, I'd consider myself as more causal my first couple of years. Even today now I wouldn't call myself a true gamer anymore. I still play COD: Black Ops II or Madden 15 on my XBOX 360, and I'm really thinking about getting an XBOX One and Fallout 4 later this year, and more Madden games of course.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/26/16 at 4:17 pm

Honestly, I'm really glad that I watched cartoons at a young age. If I haven't discovered Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network, Toon Disney, Disney Channel, PBS Kids, HBO Family, CBeebies, and Discovery Kids, then my childhood wouldn't be the same. What's worse is that I'll miss the good ol' days of those channels if I discovered them at 9 or 10 years old.

Written By: Toon on 04/26/16 at 5:34 pm

I didn't become a true watcher of kid shows until I was 5 1/2, but I didn't really become a true gamer until I was 9 or 10. Even though I got my GameCube when I was 7, I'd consider myself as more causal my first couple of years. Even today now I wouldn't call myself a true gamer anymore. I still play COD: Black Ops II or Madden 15 on my XBOX 360, and I'm really thinking about getting an XBOX One and Fallout 4 later this year, and more Madden games of course.

Honestly, I'm really glad that I watched cartoons at a young age. If I haven't discovered Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network, Toon Disney, Disney Channel, PBS Kids, HBO Family, CBeebies, and Discovery Kids, then my childhood wouldn't be the same. What's worse is that I'll miss the good ol' days of those channels if I discovered them at 9 or 10 years old.

It's always good to get into things such as cartoons or video games at a young age. I'd stick my neck out and say that it would be very bad if a child experienced these things at a late age or not at all. When it came to gaming I will say that I was more of a true gamer during my Preschool, Elementary, Middle School, High School, and early college years. Nowadays I'd see myself as more of a casual gamer. I enjoyed playing the SNES/Genesis, but it wasn't until the Playstation 1 came out where I'd become a true gamer. And sometime around the 7th gen I stopped playing games as much.

NewYorkEagle, I agree that it's good you watched all those things before ages 9 or 10. If a child didn't watch cartoons most of their childhood then it would makes things very awkward. You'd run into people who're your own age who'd bring up childhood cartoons. Everyone will talk about their memories of the show except for you. That would pretty sad. Cartoons can be a very big part of someone's childhood.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/26/16 at 5:53 pm

NewYorkEagle, I agree that it's good you watched all those things before ages 9 or 10. If a child didn't watch cartoons most of their childhood then it would makes things very awkward. You'd run into people who're your own age who'd bring up childhood cartoons. Everyone will talk about their memories of the show except for you. That would pretty sad. Cartoons can be a very big part of someone's childhood.

Yeah. Especially when the whole Internet is nostalgic for cartoons, along with 2000s kids. So if I haven't really watched all of my favorite shows at the time, then my childhood would've been bad and miserable. Although I think that will never happen to me, since I'll watch TV a lot as a kid, no matter what.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/27/16 at 10:17 pm

It's been 13 years and I still haven't finished Wind Waker. It's also been 5 years and I haven't finished Skyward Sword but the controls in that game were BS so I ain't even mad (shame since the puzzles and level design were spectacular). You should have been in school during 1998-99 school year, I just brought my OoT cartridge over to my friend's house and we'd all try to finish that game together LOL It was a community effort to finish that game.

I never finished Wind Waker either. It was an awesome game, but it just dragged way too much at the end with the whole "quest for the eight triforce shard" thing.

Actually, while we're on the topic, I started playing this game back in 1992 and still haven't managed to finish it yet.

http://gamefabrique.com/storage/screenshots/snes/super-ghouls-n-ghosts-05.png

Written By: 2001 on 04/27/16 at 10:35 pm

I never finished Wind Waker either. It was an awesome game, but it just dragged way too much at the end with the whole "quest for the eight triforce shard" thing.

Actually, while we're on the topic, I started playing this game back in 1992 and still haven't managed to finish it yet.

http://gamefabrique.com/storage/screenshots/snes/super-ghouls-n-ghosts-05.png

You'll never finish it. :P

Written By: KatanaChick on 04/28/16 at 8:09 am

I first played games at age 9 and there were levels I just couldn't beat without cheats. It depends on the game. Some levels don't have much margin for error and combine that with a control heavy game where you're constantly switching where your fingers need to be there's the problem.

There were some Mario levels that I remember were so frustrating I'd get mad if I didn't use codes. Some of the Star Road ones like the part where you had to get up to high pipes past all these skinny pipes you could not stand on, by using a balloon to float higher. But that float ability didn't last long enough at all. The other thing I hated were the moving screens that didn't leave you enough time to do things.

Written By: mqg96 on 04/28/16 at 9:24 am

I first played games at age 9 and there were levels I just couldn't beat without cheats. It depends on the game. Some levels don't have much margin for error and combine that with a control heavy game where you're constantly switching where your fingers need to be there's the problem.

There were some Mario levels that I remember were so frustrating I'd get mad if I didn't use codes. Some of the Star Road ones like the part where you had to get up to high pipes past all these skinny pipes you could not stand on, by using a balloon to float higher. But that float ability didn't last long enough at all. The other thing I hated were the moving screens that didn't leave you enough time to do things.

I hated those levels too. Yoshi's Island DS had many of those moving screen levels as well. I never used any cheat codes on New Super Mario Bros, I collected 3 star coins from every level in the game, found all the alternative exits/worlds, and completed the whole game by myself. I loved the multiplayer on New Super Mario Bros. as well including the mini games.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/28/16 at 9:29 am

I'd use cheat codes on games whenever I suck at them. Most of the N64 games I actually played had Gameshark codes, so I would use them. Especially Super Mario 64, Perfect Dark, and Goldeneye 64.

Written By: musicguy93 on 04/28/16 at 10:23 am

Oh god, between the constant re-calibrating and Fi stating the obvious, I was pulling my hair out trying to beat that game. I actually got Ocarina of Time during the 1999-2000 school year. But yeah, I got through the game the same way. I got help from a friend, who was way better at the game than me (and who apparently helped his older brother beat the the game). ;D

Written By: 2001 on 04/28/16 at 11:29 am

Oh god, between the constant re-calibrating and Fi stating the obvious, I was pulling my hair out trying to beat that game. I actually got Ocarina of Time during the 1999-2000 school year. But yeah, I got through the game the same way. I got help from a friend, who was way better at the game than me (and who apparently helped his older brother beat the the game). ;D

LOL no way anyone can beat that game by themselves  ;D I have another confession to make. I rented Majora's Mask and it was already finished. From the completed levels, you could tell exactly what you had to do to finish the game. Then I'd plug my cartridge back in and finish the level myself. I still don't think I've ever finished Majora's Mask with my own hands, I remember getting stuck on the last boss with the lanky legs.  :(

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/28/16 at 9:02 pm

LOL no way anyone can beat that game by themselves  ;D I have another confession to make. I rented Majora's Mask and it was already finished. From the completed levels, you could tell exactly what you had to do to finish the game. Then I'd plug my cartridge back in and finish the level myself. I still don't think I've ever finished Majora's Mask with my own hands, I remember getting stuck on the last boss with the lanky legs.  :(

Majora's Mask was brutal because of the time limit. You only had three days in-game time (which was really like an hour and 45 minutes tops) to finish a dungeon before the game would "reset" back to the first day and you'd lose all of your progress in whatever dungeon you were trying to beat. For that reason, I think it's probably physically impossible to beat MM without using a strategy guide.

Written By: 2001 on 04/28/16 at 9:14 pm

Majora's Mask was brutal because of the time limit. You only had three days in-game time (which was really like an hour and 45 minutes tops) to finish a dungeon before the game would "reset" back to the first day and you'd lose all of your progress in whatever dungeon you were trying to beat. For that reason, I think it's probably physically impossible to beat MM without using a strategy guide.

That's true. That reminds me of something else. Do you guys ever go back to old games that you got stuck on when you were younger, thinking this time you can beat them because you're older and smarter now? And then you get stuck on the same damn parts. It happened to me with Banjo Kazooie a few years ago. Still have no idea how to get one of the jiggies in the boat with the sharks around it level.  :-[

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/28/16 at 10:00 pm

That's true. That reminds me of something else. Do you guys ever go back to old games that you got stuck on when you were younger, thinking this time you can beat them because you're older and smarter now? And then you get stuck on the same damn parts. It happened to me with Banjo Kazooie a few years ago. Still have no idea how to get one of the jiggies in the boat with the sharks around it level.  :-http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/bf/Animaniacs_SNES_cover_art.jpg

I know it looks like some innocent little kiddie game, but trust me, Animaniacs for the SNES is one of the most brutal, unforgiving video games ever made. My unknowing parents got it for me as a Christmas present when I was 8, and I'm still paying the price for it even now. For years I couldn't manage to get past the first level. I probably went about a decade or so without playing, but dusted off the old SNES one day as an adult, and that game still kicked my butt. I finally beat the "fantasy studio" level a few years ago, but that's as far as I've ever gotten.

Written By: #Infinity on 04/28/16 at 10:10 pm

That's true. That reminds me of something else. Do you guys ever go back to old games that you got stuck on when you were younger, thinking this time you can beat them because you're older and smarter now? And then you get stuck on the same damn parts. It happened to me with Banjo Kazooie a few years ago. Still have no idea how to get one of the jiggies in the boat with the sharks around it level.  :-[

I wasn't able to get the Nintendo Coin in Donkey Kong 64 by beating the Donkey Kong arcade game twice back when I first played the game in 2000, but within a small number of years, I finally made it to the end of the game, as well as collected all 201 golden bananas and the rest of the collect-a-thon items.

I've still never beaten Super Mario Sunshine, in part because I hated playing a Mario game where you had to clean an island with a water pump instead of punch, jump, and kicking your way through an onslaught of imaginative platformer stages. The manta ray sprite particularly frustrated me. I could probably make it through the whole game if I tried it again today, however.

Written By: annimal on 04/28/16 at 10:30 pm

okay let me think here for a second

I don't know how young I was when I wirst played it, but my Grandparents had and Intellivision at their house.  Astrosmash, Burgertime, Space Spartans, and Pitfall are some names that come to mind.  I'm not sure when I got a Nintendo for my birthday, Then my Brother John got the Super NES.  After that Joel got th 64.  I've been playing all my live and still do.

I think if you want to be good at games and you have some time to do it in, then it doesn't mater how late you start.

Written By: Toon on 04/29/16 at 2:51 pm

Happened with me and Banjo Tooie. Banjo Kazooie wasn't too hard, but Banjo Tooie was strange as it required me to back track. I'd see jiggies right in front of me, but I can't get them until later in the game. But other than Banjo Tooie I've been able to beat games around the time that I got them.

Written By: Howard on 04/29/16 at 2:53 pm

So what if you start early?

Written By: annimal on 04/29/16 at 2:55 pm

you save money

Written By: Toon on 04/29/16 at 3:00 pm

I wasn't able to get the Nintendo Coin in Donkey Kong 64 by beating the Donkey Kong arcade game twice back when I first played the game in 2000, but within a small number of years, I finally made it to the end of the game, as well as collected all 201 golden bananas and the rest of the collect-a-thon items.

I've still never beaten Super Mario Sunshine, in part because I hated playing a Mario game where you had to clean an island with a water pump instead of punch, jump, and kicking your way through an onslaught of imaginative platformer stages. The manta ray sprite particularly frustrated me. I could probably make it through the whole game if I tried it again today, however.

I couldn't beat DK64 until around 2002 due to how long it actually takes to beat it. Super Mario Sunshine wasn't too bad, but I remember being bad at those parts where Shadow Mario/Bowser Jr steals fludd.

So what if you start early?

Starting at an early age of 3-5 usually means that you'll end up learning the basics on playing games a younger age. Starting at an earlier age means you'll get good at an earlier age. I started at age 4 and got really good at games at around age 11. But the kicker is that everyone learns and improves at different rates. It mostly depends on how often you play video games and how fast you're able to learn the rules of the game.

Written By: annimal on 04/29/16 at 5:49 pm

For things with a lot of games like Mario or something with a lot of games you would have a better idea of who a lot of the characters are and things if you've played the early games.  Defeating Bowser in Super Mario Brothers is not like defeating Bowser in In Super Mario Brothers 3. 

Written By: d90 on 05/13/16 at 10:44 am

I first started playing computer games when I was 3 and i played arcade games , but didn't get into video games till i was 11. I however have since 11 played and experienced the classic games.

Check for new replies or respond here...