inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Did Fuller House give 2016 a 90's feel?

Written By: the2001 on 04/25/16 at 1:23 pm

Well did it?

Subject: Re: Did Fuller House give 2016 a 90's feel?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/25/16 at 1:28 pm

Pretty much anything from the mid 90s to the early 00s gave 2016 a nostalgic feel. Although, I feel like this year isn't that big in nostalgic reboots compared to 2013-2015.

Written By: the2001 on 04/25/16 at 2:15 pm

Pretty much anything from the mid 90s to the early 00s gave 2016 a nostalgic feel. Although, I feel like this year isn't that big in nostalgic reboots compared to 2013-2015.

do you mean 2016 is nostalgic or it has flares of nostalgia , to me 2016 feels like what 2015 should have been.

Written By: mqg96 on 04/25/16 at 2:17 pm

No it didn't. It's a lame spin-off anyway. Don't know why it was created.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/25/16 at 2:32 pm

do you mean 2016 is nostalgic or it has flares of nostalgia , to me 2016 feels like what 2015 should have been.

No, I mean that 2016 is less nostalgic than last year. We have more praise into today's culture than the 90s and early 2000s.

Written By: Howard on 04/25/16 at 2:48 pm

No it didn't. It's a lame spin-off anyway. Don't know why it was created.

It was created so people could relive the 90's.

Written By: #Infinity on 04/25/16 at 4:31 pm

I disagree, there's also the reboot of the Powerpuff Girls, the upcoming Hey Arnold!, Twin Peaks, and Xena revivals, and soon-to-be-released sequels to Independence Day and Ghostbusters. There might be even more, but those are just the ones off the top of my head.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/25/16 at 6:16 pm

I disagree, there's also the reboot of the Powerpuff Girls, the upcoming Hey Arnold!, Twin Peaks, and Xena revivals, and soon-to-be-released sequels to Independence Day and Ghostbusters. There might be even more, but those are just the ones off the top of my head.

Well I said that because 2013-2015 had Teen Titans Go, the Goosebumps film, Terminator Genisys, Jurassic World, Straight Outta Compton, and Guardians of the Galaxy (which has a soundtrack of 70s and 80s songs). All of those wanted for nostalgic audiences. I could agree that 2016 is another year for nostalgic movies/TV shows, but it's not at the same level as 2013-2015.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 04/26/16 at 10:13 pm

Well I said that because 2013-2015 had Teen Titans Go, the Goosebumps film, Terminator Genisys, Jurassic World, Straight Outta Compton, and Guardians of the Galaxy (which has a soundtrack of 70s and 80s songs). All of those wanted for nostalgic audiences. I could agree that 2016 is another year for nostalgic movies/TV shows, but it's not at the same level as 2013-2015.

Yup!

Written By: Toon on 04/26/16 at 10:25 pm

The nostalgia shows are getting a bit annoying I'll admit. Would prefer to have shows/movies that aren't made just to appeal to the nostalgia of older people. Something should be created to offer new experiences to people and not just something that'll remind people of older things. Sequels I can understand, but not reboots of something that is crazy old.

Written By: #Infinity on 04/26/16 at 10:51 pm

The nostalgia shows are getting a bit annoying I'll admit. Would prefer to have shows/movies that aren't made just to appeal to the nostalgia of older people. Something should be created to offer new experiences to people and not just something that'll remind people of older things. Sequels I can understand, but not reboots of something that is crazy old.

The worst cases are when these revivals are made primarily to sell toys, like the new Powerpuff Girls cartoon and even the 2012 version of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles; the latter is one of the better Nicktoons these days from what I hear, but it was definitely made largely for merchandising purposes.

Written By: Toon on 04/27/16 at 3:20 am

The worst cases are when these revivals are made primarily to sell toys, like the new Powerpuff Girls cartoon and even the 2012 version of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles; the latter is one of the better Nicktoons these days from what I hear, but it was definitely made largely for merchandising purposes.

Pretty much. And usually shows that're just created for toys now have their lives tied to the toyline. TMNT 2012 is a decent show, but if the toyline were to suddenly hit a decline in sales then the show is immediately cancelled. This happened with Young Justice. As for Powerpuff Girls it seems like it was also created just to appeal to the nostalgia of older people along with selling toys to kids. Main issue is that the reboot doesn't seem to be that good based on what everyone says about it. But as long as it sells toys to children and make money then it'll stay on the air. I wish this business practice died back in the 1980s, but hey I can't always have my way.

Written By: #Infinity on 04/27/16 at 3:28 am

Pretty much. And usually shows that're just created for toys now have their lives tied to the toyline. TMNT 2012 is a decent show, but if the toyline were to suddenly hit a decline in sales then the show is immediately cancelled. This happened with Young Justice. As for Powerpuff Girls it seems like it was also created just to appeal to the nostalgia of older people along with selling toys to kids. Main issue is that the reboot doesn't seem to be that good based on what everyone says about it. But as long as it sells toys to children and make money then it'll stay on the air. I wish this business practice died back in the 1980s, but hey I can't always have my way.

It's just disappointing that it's been like this more than any time since the 1980s. It's just as deceptive as the DLC/freemium economic model that's ruining the gaming industry. It's bad enough there's been a ridiculous skew towards bros in the core market and, for everybody else, games that are about as complex as Atari games from the early 80s.

Written By: SpyroKev on 04/27/16 at 7:51 am

I feel Powerpuff Girls shouldn't have been rebooted in general. I don't know. It just feel wrong. Its the cancelled shows that should get reboots like Megas XLR. Samurai Jack is ok because it never finished.

Written By: Howard on 04/27/16 at 2:43 pm

some people like the nostalgia.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/27/16 at 8:23 pm

some people like the nostalgia.

Yeah, but sometimes, most people would think their nostalgia isn't accurate for show creators. For instance, people got furious over the Teen Titans reboot in 2013, since it looked NOTHING (aside from the main characters and voices) like the 2003 original. Same with the 2016 Powerpuff Girls reboot.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/28/16 at 8:45 am

On the other hand, if we had to get bombarded back in the '00s by '80s kids gushing over The Smurfs and telling us how much we sucked for missing out on the peak years of He-Man, then I don't think it's all that unreasonable for '10s teens to be forced to sit and listen to us glorify Full House and Doug. ;D

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/28/16 at 9:07 am

On the other hand, if we had to get bombarded back in the '00s by '80s kids gushing over The Smurfs and telling us how much we sucked for missing out on the peak years of He-Man, then I don't think it's all that unreasonable for '10s teens to be forced to sit and listen to us glorify Full House and Doug. ;D

It pisses me off that 90s kids wants everybody to enjoy what they watched as children. It's tedious because I barely relate to them. Even though I watched some 90s kid shows like Catdog, Dexter's Lab, Rocket Power, and Gullah Gullah Island, I don't remember the actual 1990s.

Written By: Toon on 04/29/16 at 8:33 pm

To me the most 80's cartoons aren't that good. Doesn't bother me if someone gushes about 80's toons since I never like very many cartoons from the '80s. To me having anyone sit down and listen to people glorify things from older eras again and again is annoying beyond belief. And it's awful on how bad it's gotten. This whole "90's kid" trend has done nothing but cause too much of a mess around the internet. Didn't like it when 80's kids did it in the '00s. Don't like it now. Won't like it in the future.

Let kids enjoy what they have. Don't make them feel bad just because they didn't watch the same cartoon (of all things) as you did. Also this post isn't me attacking you directly, Machine (I assumed you were mainly just saying that in a jokingly way). Apologizes if it seems that way. Just me speaking in general.

Written By: Toon on 04/29/16 at 8:35 pm

It pisses me off that 90s kids wants everybody to enjoy what they watched as children. It's tedious because I barely relate to them. Even though I watched some 90s kid shows like Catdog, Dexter's Lab, Rocket Power, and Gullah Gullah Island, I don't remember the actual 1990s.

If everybody kept watching the same stuff that older people watched then how the hell cartoons supposed to progress? How is the animation industry able to move forward if all people are watching are the same ones from 20+ years ago? It's not a great idea business wise. And it'd hurt the creative minds who'd actually want to make something new.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/29/16 at 8:57 pm

If everybody kept watching the same stuff that older people watched then how the hell cartoons supposed to progress? How is the animation industry able to move forward if all people are watching are the same ones from 20+ years ago? It's not a great idea business wise. And it'd hurt the creative minds who'd actually want to make something new.

I blame today's social media (especially Buzzfeed), which praises a lot of the 90s/early 2000s so much. It doesn't even feel like the actual 90s on their platforms, since their nostalgia is more commercialized and watered-down for its dumb members.

Written By: Toon on 04/29/16 at 9:19 pm

I blame today's social media (especially Buzzfeed), which praises a lot of the 90s/early 2000s so much. It doesn't even feel like the actual 90s on their platforms, since their nostalgia is more commercialized and watered-down for its dumb members.

Nothing good can come from Buzzfeed. And I'm surprise people still fall for their clickbait articles. And social media can make anything bad from what I've noticed. Mainly do to how fast a certain thing will spread around the media.

Written By: 2001 on 04/29/16 at 10:06 pm

I wish I suffered at the hands of real 80s kids. Instead I got my 1984/1986 cousin forcing me to sit through Madonna videos.

Written By: #Infinity on 04/29/16 at 11:04 pm

Nothing good can come from Buzzfeed. And I'm surprise people still fall for their clickbait articles. And social media can make anything bad from what I've noticed. Mainly do to how fast a certain thing will spread around the media.

I suppose they're mostly fueled by teens and tweens who are figuring out the meaning of life and don't know any better.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/29/16 at 11:13 pm

To me the most 80's cartoons aren't that good. Doesn't bother me if someone gushes about 80's toons since I never like very many cartoons from the '80s. To me having anyone sit down and listen to people glorify things from older eras again and again is annoying beyond belief. And it's awful on how bad it's gotten. This whole "90's kid" trend has done nothing but cause too much of a mess around the internet. Didn't like it when 80's kids did it in the '00s. Don't like it now. Won't like it in the future.

Let kids enjoy what they have. Don't make them feel bad just because they didn't watch the same cartoon (of all things) as you did. Also this post isn't me attacking you directly, Machine (I assumed you were mainly just saying that in a jokingly way). Apologizes if it seems that way. Just me speaking in general.

No, I totally understand what you're saying. I also hate it whenever some old fogey tries to attack younger people for not liking the same stupid, over-hyped, Saturday morning toy-infomercials that they did when they were 8. I remember, years ago in the early days of YouTube and at the height of '80s nostalgia, there was this one '80s kid that would go on every single '90s cartoon/kid show video and just rip everybody that didn't grow up in the '80s. I hated that guy, and made it a point to fire back at his nonsense every time I came across his screeds.

It's a never ending cycle, though. In another few years, the '00s kids will have their day to go after '10s kids for being too young to remember Danny Phantom and My Life as a Teenage Robot. Already we're starting to see the "everybody born after 2002 sucks" type posts popping up on YT.

Written By: Toon on 04/30/16 at 12:08 am

No, I totally understand what you're saying. I also hate it whenever some old fogey tries to attack younger people for not liking the same stupid, over-hyped, Saturday morning toy-infomercials that they did when they were 8. I remember, years ago in the early days of YouTube and at the height of '80s nostalgia, there was this one '80s kid that would go on every single '90s cartoon/kid show video and just rip everybody that didn't grow up in the '80s. I hated that guy, and made it a point to fire back at his nonsense every time I came across his screeds.

It's a never ending cycle, though. In another few years, the '00s kids will have their day to go after '10s kids for being too young to remember Danny Phantom and My Life as a Teenage Robot. Already we're starting to see the "everybody born after 2002 sucks" type posts popping up on YT.

Youtube was the first time I really saw the '80s nostalgia.  So many people uploading tons of '80s cartoons or making videos about '80s things. Or making Youtube Poop that included footage from '80s shows. I remember seeing those '80s kid comments everywhere. Attacking younger people just because they didn't grow up with '80s toys or something. It was basically an 80s kid vs 90s kid moment. Also the fact that the one guy would go on '90s related videos and attack people is just crazy. I mean he clearly had nothing better going on in his life.

And yeah the cycle won't end. I expect '00s nostalgia to be big in the '20s. And then we'll be seeing '00s kids attacking '10s kids for not growing up with PS2 or Avatar Last Airbender. I remember seeing a Youtube comment where this one guy was insulting younger kids who grew up with the DS instead of the Gameboy. I swear people will insult younger people for anything these days.

I was happy that the '80s nostalgia died down somewhat, but it didn't really die down. Rather it was replaced by '90s nostalgia. And now the cycle resets. Soon we'll be in a time where everyone is nostalgia for the current time period. People talking about how they miss the Marvel Cinematic Universe movies or how they miss Disney soon-to-be-classics such as Zootopia and Frozen.

Written By: Howard on 04/30/16 at 7:18 am

I wish I suffered at the hands of real 80s kids. Instead I got my 1984/1986 cousin forcing me to sit through Madonna videos.

What's wrong with Madonna videos?

Written By: 2001 on 04/30/16 at 7:26 am

What's wrong with Madonna videos?

9 year olds think the 80s are cheesey ;D

Written By: 80sfan on 04/30/16 at 8:32 am

9 year olds think the 80s are cheesey ;D

Even people who were teenagers in the 1980's thought that the 1980's were cheesy.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/30/16 at 8:35 am

I actually quite like the show, Fuller House. Cheesy as hell on wheels, but entertaining!

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/30/16 at 9:21 am

And yeah the cycle won't end. I expect '00s nostalgia to be big in the '20s. And then we'll be seeing '00s kids attacking '10s kids for not growing up with PS2 or Avatar Last Airbender. I remember seeing a Youtube comment where this one guy was insulting younger kids who grew up with the DS instead of the Gameboy. I swear people will insult younger people for anything these days.

Nostalgic-wise. But I think you somehow like their stuff, then I think you'll be alright with them. But I'm not sure if that's accurate, though.

Check for new replies or respond here...