inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Space Jam 2 starring LeBron James

Written By: 2001 on 05/02/16 at 1:56 pm

One of my favourite childhood movies is getting a sequel!  :D

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/space-jam-sequel-finds-director-834978?utm_source=twitter

Justin Lin, Lebron James
Lin, Andrew Dodge and Alfredo Botello are writing the script for the basketball sequel which will star the NBA player.

Justin Lin, Andrew Dodge and Alfredo Botello are ready to shoot some intergalactic hoops with LeBron James.

The Fast & Furious 6 and Star Trek Beyond helmer is co-writing with Dodge and Botello the Warner Bros.' sequel Space Jam 2. Lin is also eyeing to direct and produce via his Perfect Storm Entertainment, and sources say he will be thoroughly involved in the creative development of the project.

Rumors of a follow-up to the live action/animated 1996 hit have been brewing for years, and picked up again when James and his company SpringHill Entertainment signed a deal with Warner Bros. in July. The Cleveland Cavaliers NBA player, who recently appeared in Amy Schumer comedy Trainwreck, will star in Space Jam 2. He's repped by WME.

more at the link

I'm so glad a new generation of kids will get to experience the greatness that is Space Jam! :D I will probably go see it with my little sisters.

Thoughts?

Subject: Re: Space Jam 2 starring LeBron James

Written By: mqg96 on 05/02/16 at 2:20 pm

Let's go ATL Hawks! Round 2 here we come! We can take on LeBron and the Cavaliers on the road, or can we?  :D

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/02/16 at 3:40 pm

H07zYvkNYL8

Seriously?! Another sequel based from a movie during the 90s?! When the f*ck is this going to end?! Is Hollywood so unoriginal nowadays?! Can there be ANY movie that doesn't have sh*tty modern pop cultural references or one that wasn't based on an old-ass movie?! No decade even had that much nostalgic movies, god damn it.  >:(

Written By: Toon on 05/02/16 at 3:51 pm

Never was a big fan of Space Jam. Plot was a bit stupid. And it involved the Looney Tunes doing non-Looney Tunes things. Heck even the series creator hated the movie since he thought the characters were handled horribly (and you can't argue with the guy who literally made the rules of Looney Tunes).

H07zYvkNYL8

Seriously?! Another sequel based from a movie during the 90s?! When the f*ck is this going to end?! Is Hollywood so unoriginal nowadays?! Can there be ANY movie that doesn't have sh*tty modern pop cultural references or one that wasn't based on an old-ass movie?! No decade even had that much nostalgic movies, god damn it.  >:(

Eeehhhhhh.... gotta say I agree. Instead of making a sequel to some 20 year old movie they could've just made an original movie. The amount of movies/shows that pander to the nostalgia of people is getting crazy. It's even worrying since Space Jam was never that good to begin with.

Written By: 2001 on 05/02/16 at 3:54 pm

Never was a big fan of Space Jam. Plot was a bit stupid. And it involved the Looney Tunes doing non-Looney Tunes things. Heck even the series creator hated the movie since he thought the characters were handled horribly (and you can't argue with the guy who literally made the rules of Looney Tunes).

Eeehhhhhh.... gotta say I agree. Instead of making a sequel to some 20 year old movie they could've just made an original movie. The amount of movies/shows that pander to the nostalgia of people is getting crazy. It's even worrying since Space Jam was never that good to begin with.

There are rules of Looney Tunes?  ;D

They have an awesome team behind the movie so I'm personally excited.  :D

Written By: Toon on 05/02/16 at 4:02 pm

There are rules of Looney Tunes?  ;D

They have an awesome team behind the movie so I'm personally excited.  :D

Everyone cartoon as rules. Looney Tunes has certain rules applied (how the characters move, gags they use, references made, personality etc). Looney Tunes has its own set of rules that can vary depending on who is making the episode. Chuck Jones created a lot of tips, tricks, and rules when making the characters for the Looney Tunes series during the 1930s-1960s.

Veteran Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies director Chuck Jones was highly critical of the film. In a 1998 interview, he expressed his views that the film was "terrible" and said, as a man who worked with the characters for almost thirty years, the story was deeply flawed. "I can tell you, with the utmost confidence," he said, "Porky Pig would never say 'I think I wet myself'". Jones also added that, were the film more true to the source material, Bugs Bunny would not have incorporated the help of Jordan or the other Looney Tunes characters to defeat the Nerdlucks, "and moreover, it wouldn't have taken him an hour and a half. Those aliens, whether they were tiny or colossal, would've been dealt with in short order come the seven minute mark."

If the movie is good then I'll be the first to give the credit where it's due. I'm just a bit happy that we can have another Humans and Toons movie. Last one we had was Looney Tunes Back in Action 2003. Not a bad movie, but the human characters were boring.

Written By: 2001 on 05/02/16 at 4:10 pm

Everyone cartoon as rules. Looney Tunes has certain rules applied (how the characters move, gags they use, references made, personality etc). Looney Tunes has its own set of rules that can vary depending on who is making the episode. Chuck Jones created a lot of tips, tricks, and rules when making the characters for the Looney Tunes series during the 1930s-1960s.

Veteran Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies director Chuck Jones was highly critical of the film. In a 1998 interview, he expressed his views that the film was "terrible" and said, as a man who worked with the characters for almost thirty years, the story was deeply flawed. "I can tell you, with the utmost confidence," he said, "Porky Pig would never say 'I think I wet myself'". Jones also added that, were the film more true to the source material, Bugs Bunny would not have incorporated the help of Jordan or the other Looney Tunes characters to defeat the Nerdlucks, "and moreover, it wouldn't have taken him an hour and a half. Those aliens, whether they were tiny or colossal, would've been dealt with in short order come the seven minute mark."

If the movie is good then I'll be the first to give the credit where it's due. I'm just a bit happy that we can have another Humans and Toons movie. Last one we had was Looney Tunes Back in Action 2003. Not a bad movie, but the human characters were boring.

Hmm, that's interesting. I think I was only like 4 when I watched the movie, so I wasn't really critical of the Looney Tunes' personalities. I hope they can stay more true to the characters this time around
Other than the Looney Tunes personalities though, didn't you think at least the basic premise of the movie was interesting?

Written By: Howard on 05/02/16 at 4:24 pm

and what was wrong with continuing with Shaq?

Written By: Toon on 05/02/16 at 4:29 pm

Hmm, that's interesting. I think I was only like 4 when I watched the movie, so I wasn't really critical of the Looney Tunes' personalities. I hope they can stay more true to the characters this time around
Other than the Looney Tunes personalities though, didn't you think at least the basic premise of the movie was interesting?

Despite me complaining about the movie I won't call it a horrible movie. It's a bit of a guilty pleasure, I suppose. Personalities of the Looney Tunes aside I think the premise was nice. I like the idea of Toons coexisting with Humans. Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Looney Tunes Back in Action, and Space Jam are interesting because of this. And Micheal Jordan with Bugs Bunny sounded like a crazy yet cool idea. For the sequel all they'd have to do is just make the Looney Tunes match their original personalities and maybe make the human character a bit more interesting (Jordan's acting wasn't bad, but a bit dull) and I won't have any complaints. 2010's has been have a good record with movies. So I hope the quality that can be found in other current movies will also be found Space Jam 2.

Also I hope that the success of Space Jam 2 will give us even more movies like it (Toons with Humans I mean). And could probably bring the Looney Tunes back into mainstream popularity again.

Written By: Toon on 05/02/16 at 4:30 pm

and what was wrong with continuing with Shaq?

Shaq? Never seen any movies that starred Shaq before.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/02/16 at 4:33 pm

If Chuck Jones was still alive today, he'll be ashamed that Space Jam is getting a sequel. It's sad for him.

Honestly, Space Jam seems like one of the most overrated movies in the 90s. You just have Michael Jordan playing basketball with Looney Tunes characters, along with space aliens. I don't know how a lot of people got into the movie, aside from the fact that Michael Jordan and Bugs Bunny was in the theatrical poster. The actual title should be "Looney Tunes in Space with Michael Jordan".

Written By: 2001 on 05/02/16 at 4:41 pm

Despite me complaining about the movie I won't call it a horrible movie. It's a bit of a guilty pleasure, I suppose. Personalities of the Looney Tunes aside I think the premise was nice. I like the idea of Toons coexisting with Humans. Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Looney Tunes Back in Action, and Space Jam are interesting because of this. And Micheal Jordan with Bugs Bunny sounded like a crazy yet cool idea. For the sequel all they'd have to do is just make the Looney Tunes match their original personalities and maybe make the human character a bit more interesting (Jordan's acting wasn't bad, but a bit dull) and I won't have any complaints. 2010's has been have a good record with movies. So I hope the quality that can be found in other current movies will also be found Space Jam 2.

Also I hope that the success of Space Jam 2 will give us even more movies like it (Toons with Humans I mean). And could probably bring the Looney Tunes back into mainstream popularity again.

Agreed 100%! I'm also hoping they remain hand drawn. CGI characters might ruin the feel. Although, since the director looks competent, I might just have to respect his choices no matter how crazy they get  :-[

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/02/16 at 4:41 pm

Don't play Shaq-Fu or watch Shazam. They're the reasons why he's not that good in games and movies.

Written By: Howard on 05/02/16 at 4:47 pm

wait... that was Shazam, not Space Jam sorry wrong film.  ;D

Written By: Toon on 05/02/16 at 4:58 pm

wait... that was Shazam, not Space Jam sorry wrong film.  ;D

Oh okay.  ;D

Written By: Toon on 05/02/16 at 4:58 pm

Don't play Shaq-Fu or watch Shazam. They're the reasons why he's not that good in games and movies.

Can't believe a Shaq Fu 2 is being made.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/02/16 at 5:00 pm

Yeah.  :(

Written By: bchris02 on 05/02/16 at 5:06 pm

I think '90s nostalgia is about to jump the shark, if it hasn't already.  This movie is proof of that.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/02/16 at 5:14 pm

I think '90s nostalgia is about to jump the shark, if it hasn't already.  This movie is proof of that.

It already jumped the shark when 90s babies proclaimed themselves as 90s kids.

Written By: bchris02 on 05/02/16 at 5:16 pm

It already jumped the shark when 90s babies proclaimed themselves as 90s kids.

Haha yeah.  I can't help but think about a YouTube video I saw back around 2007.  The guy was clearly probably 15 years old or so and an '00s kid, but had made this ridiculous video about how awesome "growing up in the 90s" was.  I wanted to punch my screen because that kid did not grow up in the '90s.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/02/16 at 5:23 pm

Haha yeah.  I can't help but think about a YouTube video I saw back around 2007.  The guy was clearly probably 15 years old or so and an '00s kid, but had made this ridiculous video about how awesome "growing up in the 90s" was.  I wanted to punch my screen because that kid did not grow up in the '90s.

Yeah, but that was worse in the early 2010s. You not only had more 90s babies saying that, but also those born in 1997-1999, who couldn't remember the 90s at all.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/04/16 at 5:10 pm

What!? Why!? That movie is garbage!

Also, Back in Action > Space Jam.

Written By: SpyroKev on 05/04/16 at 5:14 pm

The only enjoyable parts of the classic is during the cartoon interacting scenes. The cartoons are what made the movie what is it. The Bugs and Daffy retrieving the basket ball from the bulldog enemy is the only enjoyable scene with the real people. Yeah, its interesting, but you won't care for the real life actors you basically see everyday. That same charm will continue.

Check for new replies or respond here...