inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Has '90s nostalgia jumped the shark yet?

Written By: bchris02 on 05/02/16 at 5:13 pm

Fuller House, a new Independence Day, the X-Files and Fresh Prince of Bel Air being rebooted, and new a Space Jam sequel show us that '90s nostalgia is all the rage.  Question is, has it jumped the shark yet and if not, will it soon?  Honestly, I think the '90s nostalgia is becoming so over-saturated in our media that is losing its appeal, and I really enjoyed '90s culture back in the day.  There were a lot of things that were amazing during the '90s but should stay there. Thoughts?

Subject: Re: Has '90s nostalgia jumped the shark yet?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/02/16 at 5:19 pm

Yes. If you simply search up "1990s", you'll know that the decade is already overrated. While I do like the decade, it's not really as special as the 2000s to me.

Written By: bchris02 on 05/02/16 at 5:23 pm

Yes. If you simply search up "1990s", you'll know that the decade is already overrated. While I do like the decade, it's not really as special as the 2000s to me.

I like the '90s.  They were better than the 2000s prior to around 2007.  However, that doesn't mean everything that was popular in the '90s needs to be brought to the 2010s.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/02/16 at 5:26 pm

I like the '90s.  They were better than the 2000s prior to around 2007.  However, that doesn't mean everything that was popular in the '90s needs to be brought to the 2010s.

True. But 90s nostalgia already had overrated sh*t being popular, since its rise in the late 2000s. Not even 2000s nostalgia is the same as looking up '90s nostalgia.

Written By: Toon on 05/02/16 at 5:35 pm

Early 00's nostalgia is almost as big 90's nostalgia as of today. Just type in Early 2000s as I get tons of articles, images, videos, music, results etc of people being nostalgic of the time period.

To answer the question directly I think it's gotten very much out of hand. Too many movies, products, cartoons, music stations, comics and other things that seem to be made just to appeal to the 90's nostalgia that people have. The over saturation of things from the 1990s pretty much ruined the appeal of the decade for me. The 1990s isn't bad, but I'd rather things stay original. 1990s was cool since a lot of things were original and same goes for decades before it. To make the 2010s awesome it'd have to be original and not a faux-1990s. Overly nostalgic people will complain and say things like "I wish things were like the '90s", but if things just stayed the same as they were in the '90s then no progression in creativity is made.

Written By: yelimsexa on 05/02/16 at 5:36 pm

I wouldn't say so just yet. We haven't had broad historical retrospectives on the decade just yet, most oldies/classic hit stations only play a stray song here and there, and what's coming out like the OJ Simpson TV series is seen as intriguing, while Fuller House is an interesting look. The technological changes is another draw and is still recent enough for the "I miss the '90s as they were a simpler time without cellphones everywhere, longer attention spans, and less of a Big Brother atmosphere." Compare this to the '70s/'80s where all of the popular stuff like Atari/NES, John Hughes movies, and retro fashions has been run into the ground and the classic hit stations have relegated their playlists to songs of the least common denominator, even though there is still lots of stuff from those decades that has been long forgotten yet still gets to be discovered and enjoyed, plus the people who from that generation who experienced it aren't too terribly old yet like those who lived through the '60s and earlier. Simply searching "1990s" is unfair since you expect references to that decade to pop up. To many, some 1990s trends never really went away, like Power Rangers, Pokemon, TMNT (lots of online fan creations during the franchise's dark period in the late '90s/early '00s), the Clintons, political correctness, casual fashions, and much more, which gives a lingering "too soon" notion among some of the older generation (mostly the over 40 crowd).

People in the 1990s were complaining about a faux 1970s and while there was a bunch of nostalgia for that decade, it was only on the side and you still had the unique '90s culture around.

And the '90s were certainly better than the 2000s decade: better economy, MUCH better television, better movies, better fashion, and higher optimism and a neo-'60s free-spirited attitude.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/02/16 at 5:41 pm

Early 00's nostalgia is almost as big 90's nostalgia as of today. Just type in Early 2000s as I get tons of articles, images, videos, music, results etc of people being nostalgic of the time period.

To answer the question directly I think it's gotten very much out of hand. Too many movies, products, cartoons, music stations, comics and other things that seem to be made just to appeal to the 90's nostalgia that people have. The over saturation of things from the 1990s pretty much ruined the appeal of the decade for me. The 1990s isn't bad, but I'd rather things stay original. 1990s was cool since a lot of things were original and same goes for decades before it. To make the 2010s awesome it'd have to be original and not a faux-1990s. Overly nostalgic people will complain and say things like "I wish things were like the '90s", but if things just stayed the same as they were in the '90s then no progression in creativity is made.

I don't think that would help the 2010s stay original, or at least it would be. But to be fair, everything to me in this decade was like the '90s. Seriously, you can't go anywhere without people saying how cool the 90s/early 00s were. It's just bad, in my opinion. But it's maybe because I was a 90s baby, and that remembering them is oblivious to me.

Written By: Toon on 05/02/16 at 5:55 pm

I don't think that would help the 2010s stay original, or at least it would be. But to be fair, everything to me in this decade was like the '90s. Seriously, you can't go anywhere without people saying how cool the 90s/early 00s were. It's just bad, in my opinion. But it's maybe because I was a 90s baby, and that remembering them is oblivious to me.

Even if I remember an era I don't think I'd want the decades to feel like the eras I remember. I'd want to experience new decades with new culture. Not a new decade that's just continuing what an old decade did. Making something that appeals to nostalgia isn't bad at all. Every decade has things like that. But the 2010s is the first decade that I think this nostalgia pandering has gotten worse. I don't like the fact that I can't go anywhere on the internet without seeing some people talking about the 1990s. Around 50% of things I see on the internet are just people talking about fashion, music, movies, games, toys, cartoons, food, activities or whatever else from the 1990s. Back in the 2000s the nostalgia for the 1980s was not this bad even on the internet.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/02/16 at 6:07 pm

Even if I remember an era I don't think I'd want the decades to feel like the eras I remember. I'd want to experience new decades with new culture. Not a new decade that's just continuing what an old decade did. Making something that appeals to nostalgia isn't bad at all. Every decade has things like that. But the 2010s is the first decade that I think this nostalgia pandering has gotten worse. I don't like the fact that I can't go anywhere on the internet without seeing some people talking about the 1990s. Around 50% of things I see on the internet are just people talking about fashion, music, movies, games, toys, cartoons, food, activities or whatever else from the 1990s. Back in the 2000s the nostalgia for the 1980s was not this bad even on the internet.

The 80s weren't even that bad, nostalgia-wise. You did have some media set in the 80s back then, but it wasn't godawful. The 90s on the other hand is just pandered so much to crazily nostalgic people these days.

Written By: 2001 on 05/02/16 at 6:09 pm

Most the new stuff has been good, so I'm not complaining. I also have two 10 year old sisters, so it's fun to see a new generation of kids enjoy the same things I did when I was growing up. I get to talk to them about it too and not have them roll their eyes in boredom  ;D

I wouldn't say so just yet. We haven't had broad historical retrospectives on the decade just yet, most oldies/classic hit stations only play a stray song here and there, and what's coming out like the OJ Simpson TV series is seen as intriguing, while Fuller House is an interesting look. The technological changes is another draw and is still recent enough for the "I miss the '90s as they were a simpler time without cellphones everywhere, longer attention spans, and less of a Big Brother atmosphere." Compare this to the '70s/'80s where all of the popular stuff like Atari/NES, John Hughes movies, and retro fashions has been run into the ground and the classic hit stations have relegated their playlists to songs of the least common denominator, even though there is still lots of stuff from those decades that has been long forgotten yet still gets to be discovered and enjoyed, plus the people who from that generation who experienced it aren't too terribly old yet like those who lived through the '60s and earlier. Simply searching "1990s" is unfair since you expect references to that decade to pop up. To many, some 1990s trends never really went away, like Power Rangers, Pokemon, TMNT (lots of online fan creations during the franchise's dark period in the late '90s/early '00s), the Clintons, political correctness, casual fashions, and much more, which gives a lingering "too soon" notion among some of the older generation (mostly the over 40 crowd).

People in the 1990s were complaining about a faux 1970s and while there was a bunch of nostalgia for that decade, it was only on the side and you still had the unique '90s culture around.

And the '90s were certainly better than the 2000s decade: better economy, MUCH better television, better movies, better fashion, and higher optimism and a neo-'60s free-spirited attitude.

Good post. I agree :)

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/02/16 at 6:12 pm

Most the new stuff has been good, so I'm not complaining. I also have two 10 year old sisters, so it's fun to see a new generation of kids enjoy the same things I did when I was growing up. I get to talk to them about it too and not have them roll their eyes in boredom  ;D

Good post. I agree :)

They should enjoy more original things.

Written By: 2001 on 05/02/16 at 6:16 pm

They should enjoy more original things.

Good thing there isn't a limit on how many things you can enjoy  ;) a lot of original 2010s cartoons, movies and music that the kids and I love.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/02/16 at 6:19 pm

Good thing there isn't a limit on how many things you can enjoy  ;) a lot of original 2010s cartoons, movies and music that the kids and I love.

Okay then.  ;)

Written By: muppethammer26 on 05/02/16 at 8:22 pm

I think the reason why there is more nostalgia in the 2010's (especially the 90's nostalgia), compared to the previous decades, is probably because the 2010's didn't produce much good pop culture. That's why I think the 2010's are an underrated decade, at least to people that I know, since some don't like it and others saying that this decade is OK.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/02/16 at 8:27 pm

I think the reason why there is more nostalgia in the 2010's (especially the 90's nostalgia), compared to the previous decades, is probably because the 2010's didn't produce much good pop culture. That's why I think the 2010's are an underrated decade, at least to people that I know, since some don't like it and others saying that this decade is OK.

I think the 2010s are one of the most overrated decades ever. A lot of people keep praising on a decade that had three shootings in 2012, several celebrities dying, so many sh*tty 90s reboots, etc. It's not even good to start with. So we're probably in the minority of saying that the 2010s suck.

Written By: mqg96 on 05/02/16 at 8:47 pm

I'm surprised you brought this up. I actually hear most people say that the 2000's didn't produce much good pop culture circa 2004-2009 and they say that the 2000's was the underrated decade, since most of the 2000's didn't have a cultural identity like previous decades such as the 90's, 80's, 70's, etc. and it's even debatable that the 2010's have more of a cultural identity than the 2000's did.

Written By: muppethammer26 on 05/02/16 at 9:07 pm

I'm surprised you brought this up. I actually hear most people say that the 2000's didn't produce much good pop culture circa 2004-2009 and they say that the 2000's was the underrated decade, since most of the 2000's didn't have a cultural identity like previous decades such as the 90's, 80's, 70's, etc. and it's even debatable that the 2010's have more of a cultural identity than the 2000's did.

At least in the 2010's we didn't have every baby born in this decade being conjoined twins, a massive flow of bees, wasps and mosquitoes hitting every big city in the world, a economic depression even worse than the 1930's depression, a big comet or asteroid crashes on earth, etc.

Written By: TheKid99 on 05/02/16 at 9:13 pm

I would say so without a doubt. People are getting a bit tired of the 90's nostalgia that has been mainstream since 2013.

Written By: 2001 on 05/02/16 at 9:13 pm

At least in the 2010's we didn't have every baby born in this decade being conjoined twins, a massive flow of bees, wasps and mosquitoes hitting every big city in the world, a economic depression even worse than the 1930's depression, a big comet or asteroid crashes on earth, etc.

It's important to stay optimistic.

Written By: bchris02 on 05/02/16 at 11:09 pm

I think it's actually more the fact that many 80s borns and some 90s borns are more nostalgic for their childhoods than previous generations were and are having difficulty leaving it behind.  It might be possible that it's because this generation has entered adulthood in a time where the nation's economic well being is below what it was when they were growing up.  Not sure, but that might be a part of it.

Written By: Toon on 05/03/16 at 2:57 pm

2010's has a cultural identity to me. It's easy to see how this decade is distinct from from previous decades in terms of pop culture. New cultural trends and innovations that give this decade it's own feel.

I think it's actually more the fact that many 80s borns and some 90s borns are more nostalgic for their childhoods than previous generations were and are having difficulty leaving it behind.  It might be possible that it's because this generation has entered adulthood in a time where the nation's economic well being is below what it was when they were growing up.  Not sure, but that might be a part of it.

This is what I assumed as well. Every decade will have people that're nostalgic for it. Nostalgia never goes away as you'll always have people wanting to go back to a certain time. By the 2030s I can see many people being nostalgic for all the great things from the 2010s.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/04/16 at 9:44 pm

Fuller House, a new Independence Day, the X-Files and Fresh Prince of Bel Air being rebooted, and new a Space Jam sequel show us that '90s nostalgia is all the rage.  Question is, has it jumped the shark yet and if not, will it soon?  Honestly, I think the '90s nostalgia is becoming so over-saturated in our media that is losing its appeal, and I really enjoyed '90s culture back in the day.  There were a lot of things that were amazing during the '90s but should stay there. Thoughts?

It's getting pretty unbearable, and this is coming from a consummate "nineties kid" that is an apologist for just about everything that came out during that decade, no matter how crappy. The fact that people are now actually pretending that stuff like Full House and Space Jam was quality entertainment shows just how far past the proverbial shark we've jumped.

But, it probably won't last much longer, though. The fact that we're already starting to see early signs of "early '00s nostalgia" popping up online shows that 2000's nostalgia is becoming a real thing. By the time we get to, like, 2022 or so, everybody will probably be reminiscing over Avril Lavigne and Linkin Park, while the '90s will have officially joined the '80s in the "too old to be retro cool" category.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 05/05/16 at 9:13 pm

2010's has a cultural identity to me. It's easy to see how this decade is distinct from from previous decades in terms of pop culture. New cultural trends and innovations that give this decade it's own feel.

He didn't say the 2010s didn't have a strong cultural identity, he was saying the 2000s lacked a strong cultural identity.....

Written By: Slim95 on 05/06/16 at 1:05 am

I agree, the 2000s are better. But I may be biased because that's when I grew up.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/06/16 at 1:06 am

Early 2000s nostalgia is huge now. It's may not be evident with trends but it is nostalgic to people I talked to.

Written By: 2001 on 05/06/16 at 11:06 am

Early 2000s nostalgia is huge now. It's may not be evident with trends but it is nostalgic to people I talked to.

It seems to be more of an offline thing than an online thing, ironically. I don't see many Buzzfeed articles on it, but if you play Avril Lavigne or NSYNC at a party you get tears of joy. I also always play Mario Party 2 whenever my friends come over. It is now a tradition!  ;D But I don't see many online articles about these things.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/06/16 at 12:45 pm

It seems to be more of an offline thing than an online thing, ironically. I don't see many Buzzfeed articles on it, but if you play Avril Lavigne or NSYNC at a party you get tears of joy. I also always play Mario Party 2 whenever my friends come over. It is now a tradition!  ;D But I don't see many online articles about these things.

I think it's both an offline and online thing. If you searched up "Early 2000s shows" or "Early 2000s hits" on YouTube, you would get like tons of playlists that have a hundred videos in them.

Written By: 2001 on 05/06/16 at 2:42 pm

I think it's both an offline and online thing. If you searched up "Early 2000s shows" or "Early 2000s hits" on YouTube, you would get like tons of playlists that have a hundred videos in them.

Good point. Maybe I mean to say it hasn't been commercialized yet.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/06/16 at 3:05 pm

Well, it's not like a lot of companies care about reviving the early 2000s now. They'll rather use the 20-year nostalgia method instead.

Written By: Toon on 05/06/16 at 4:00 pm

Yeah, it isn't commercialized just yet, but in when it comes to offline/online popularity I do see quite a bit of early 00's nostalgia. Within a few more years I'd figure that early 00's nostalgia would be commercialized.

Written By: Toon on 05/06/16 at 4:02 pm

He didn't say the 2010s didn't have a strong cultural identity, he was saying the 2000s lacked a strong cultural identity.....

I know that's what he was saying. It was just agreeing as I was stating that because of the 2010's cultural identity it's easy to see how it differs from previous decades.

Written By: Toon on 05/06/16 at 4:17 pm

Heck you can just type in "Early 2000s" on google and you'll get a ton of results that have people being nostalgic for the time period. People talking about the fashion, shows, music, games, commercials, movies and more. First time I started seeing early 00's nostalgia was back in 2013. As the years go one nostalgia seems to be getting popular. By the early 2020s I wouldn't be surprised if early 00's (and maybe even mid 00's) nostalgia ended up getting huge.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/06/16 at 4:30 pm

Heck you can just type in "Early 2000s" on google and you'll get a ton of results that have people being nostalgic for the time period. People talking about the fashion, shows, music, games, commercials, movies and more. First time I started seeing early 00's nostalgia was back in 2013. As the years go one nostalgia seems to be getting popular. By the early 2020s I wouldn't be surprised if early 00's (and maybe even mid 00's) nostalgia ended up getting huge.

You know, early 2000s nostalgia has been around for three years, and I barely see any mid 2000s nostalgia to this day. It's 2016 and barely anyone cared about 2004-2006. I know that it barely has any cultural identity, but the era is more than 10 years old. So, there's something going on with that.

Written By: Toon on 05/06/16 at 5:00 pm

You know, early 2000s nostalgia has been around for three years, and I barely see any mid 2000s nostalgia to this day. It's 2016 and barely anyone cared about 2004-2006. I know that it barely has any cultural identity, but the era is more than 10 years old. So, there's something going on with that.

Probably just needs a bit more time. I don't know how nostalgia works within the mainstream audience. I see some 2004 nostalgia, but that's about it as of 2016. Maybe we'll have to wait a bit longer. People who mainly grew up in the mid '00s will probably be nostalgic for the era by the time they enter age 20+. Or at least that's my assumption anyways.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/06/16 at 5:27 pm

If you go on any YouTube music video before 2013, there will be many comments saying "I miss this year", "music was better then", etc.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/06/16 at 5:36 pm

If you go on any YouTube music video before 2013, there will be many comments saying "I miss this year", "music was better then", etc.

Yeah, I do notice that on late 2000s videos from YouTube. It's not just music videos, it's pretty much every popular video from 2007-2009. But I think they do that, because that's when YouTube used to be good. Before people used Google+, YouTube seemed awesome. You didn't have any ads pop up on YouTube (unless they were Partners), you saw a diversity of cool videos (not just music, Vines, or gaming), and most YouTubers would get over a million views just for uploading videos. That used to be special back then. But ever since Google+, people had these weird communities that f*cked up the site. Nowadays, you have to do something that's gaming or Vine related in order to be YouTube famous. It's really sad, because a lot of people weren't crazy as f*ck back then.

Written By: bchris02 on 05/09/16 at 10:19 am

Yeah, I do notice that on late 2000s videos from YouTube. It's not just music videos, it's pretty much every popular video from 2007-2009. But I think they do that, because that's when YouTube used to be good. Before people used Google+, YouTube seemed awesome. You didn't have any ads pop up on YouTube (unless they were Partners), you saw a diversity of cool videos (not just music, Vines, or gaming), and most YouTubers would get over a million views just for uploading videos. That used to be special back then. But ever since Google+, people had these weird communities that f*cked up the site. Nowadays, you have to do something that's gaming or Vine related in order to be YouTube famous. It's really sad, because a lot of people weren't crazy as f*ck back then.

I miss when you could post things on YouTube without it being broadcasted to your entire social media network.  I also refuse to comment on news articles that use Facebook as their commenting platform, because I don't want my entire friends list seeing everything I do.  I don't know why Google and Zuckerberg & Co don't realize that not everybody wants their entire lives out there for everyone to see.  Then again, I guess you could say it has helped stem Internet bullying.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/09/16 at 12:20 pm

I miss when you could post things on YouTube without it being broadcasted to your entire social media network.  I also refuse to comment on news articles that use Facebook as their commenting platform, because I don't want my entire friends list seeing everything I do.  I don't know why Google and Zuckerberg & Co don't realize that not everybody wants their entire lives out there for everyone to see.  Then again, I guess you could say it has helped stem Internet bullying.

It used to be better when people used fake names as their usernames. It didn't reveal a lot of information about you and it made you mysterious. But because we have sites like Facebook, people could go and look at your profile to seek embarrassing things about you. Not to mention that people usually put their real-life selves as their profile pics on Facebook. So, it's not good to be addicted towards Facebook. I'm not saying it's sinful, but Facebook is a very vulnerable website.

I don't know how Mark Zuckerberg could think of Facebook as a safe website, when many people who have an account are in danger from hackers. It's why I barely use Facebook, since I find the site to be horrendous. Same with Snapchat and Vine, where people usually take videos in personal locations. Not to mention that you have to be painfully unfunny to amuse their audiences.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/09/16 at 12:27 pm

It used to be better when people used fake names as their usernames. It didn't reveal a lot of information about you and it made you mysterious. But because we have sites like Facebook, people could go and look at your profile to seek embarrassing things about you. Not to mention that people usually put their real-life selves as their profile pics on Facebook. So, it's not good to be addicted towards Facebook. I'm not saying it's sinful, but Facebook is a very vulnerable website.

I don't know how Mark Zuckerberg could think of Facebook as a safe website, when many people who have an account are in danger from hackers. It's why I barely use Facebook, since I find the site to be horrendous. Same with Snapchat and Vine, where people usually take videos in personal locations. Not to mention that you have to be painfully unfunny to amuse their audiences.

Luckily Facebook is slowly dying out.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/09/16 at 12:30 pm

Yeah. But it's still popular as hell.

Written By: Howard on 05/09/16 at 3:20 pm

Yeah. But it's still popular as hell.

Yes, it's still is.

Written By: 2001 on 05/09/16 at 4:36 pm

I always disable comments. They don't add anything to the Internet experience in my opinion, not now not ever. There are Chrome/Firefox extensions that do a good job in blocking them, you won't even know that some sites have a comment section.

Written By: Toon on 05/10/16 at 6:52 pm

I always disable comments. They don't add anything to the Internet experience in my opinion, not now not ever. There are Chrome/Firefox extensions that do a good job in blocking them, you won't even know that some sites have a comment section.

I use a Chrome extension that removes the comment section. Made youtube much more tolerable to the point where I'd never want to remove the extension.

As for the '90s nostalgia I've noticed that the amount of news going around about the next  X-Men taking place in the 1990s. I'm sitting here thinking "Seriously, people?! You have to have videos and full discussions just because of the fact that the movie is taking place in the 1990s?!"  I barely saw anyone speaking about how the previous movies took place in the '60, '70s, or '80s when they were announced. I swear this 90's nostalgia pandering is annoying as f**k!

Written By: Toon on 05/10/16 at 6:53 pm

It'll be replace by the next popular social media app/platform/device in the future.

Written By: 2001 on 05/10/16 at 6:55 pm

None of you lie to me, you'd all watch a That '90s Show written by Jerry Seinfeld.

Written By: Toon on 05/10/16 at 7:09 pm

None of you lie to me, you'd all watch a That '90s Show written by Jerry Seinfeld.

Pfft I remember seeing a joke article on that. I immediately face palmed. Never was the biggest fan of That 70's Show (not a bad show at all, but it never grabbed my interest). And placing it in the 90's wouldn't have made it any better. I'd just see it as something that would pander to nostalgia....like pretty much everything else that either takes place in the '90s or is a sequel/remake/reboot/comeback of something from the '90s.

Although it's funny as That 70's show was created in the 1990s which was a decade where people were nostalgic for the 1970s. Old nostalgia pandering.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/10/16 at 7:12 pm

I use a Chrome extension that removes the comment section. Made youtube much more tolerable to the point where I'd never want to remove the extension.

As for the '90s nostalgia I've noticed that the amount of news going around about the next  X-Men taking place in the 1990s. I'm sitting here thinking "Seriously, people?! You have to have videos and full discussions just because of the fact that the movie is taking place in the 1990s?!"  I barely saw anyone speaking about how the previous movies took place in the '60, '70s, or '80s when they were announced. I swear this 90's nostalgia pandering is annoying as f**k!

They're having the next X-Men movie taking place in the 90s?! Now this is why I find 90s nostalgia to be the most overrated thing in this decade.

Written By: Toon on 05/10/16 at 7:31 pm

They're having the next X-Men movie taking place in the 90s?! Now this is why I find 90s nostalgia to be the most overrated thing in this decade.

Was thinking the same thing.

Written By: muppethammer26 on 05/10/16 at 7:59 pm

Every decade, there's always going to be a nostalgia for 2 decades behind the present decade, so this means that people were nostalgic for the 50's in the 70's, 60's in the 80's, 70's in the 90's, 80's in the 00's and currently in the 10's, people are nostalgic for the 90's. Eventually, we will have a 00's nostalgia in the 20's, when people will be nostalgic for the 00's. Same thing with the 10's nostalgia in the 30's and the 20's nostalgia in the 40's.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/10/16 at 8:05 pm

Every decade, there's always going to be a nostalgia for 2 decades behind the present decade, so this means that people were nostalgic for the 50's in the 70's, 60's in the 80's, 70's in the 90's, 80's in the 00's and currently in the 10's, people are nostalgic for the 90's. Eventually, we will have a 00's nostalgia in the 20's, when people will be nostalgic for the 00's. Same thing with the 10's nostalgia in the 30's and the 20's nostalgia in the 40's.

Yeah, but 90s nostalgia just seems way overhyped more than any other decade nostalgia. No one that praised the 50s-80s didn't force their favorite companies to over-commercialize on everything.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/10/16 at 10:56 pm

Yup, and I noticed the trend of hating the decade directly prior. So in the 90s there was 80s backlash, 00's there was 90s backlash, now 10's there is 00's backlash. 

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 05/10/16 at 11:18 pm

Yup, and I noticed the trend of hating the decade directly prior. So in the 90s there was 80s backlash, 00's there was 90s backlash, now 10's there is 00's backlash. 

There wasn't a MAJOR backlash against the 90s in the 00s. Maybe 1999 culture, but the true 90s not so much. Well, at least I don't recall a backlash against the core 90s.

Written By: Toon on 05/10/16 at 11:19 pm

Whatever is around 2 decades old people are nostalgic for (doesn't matter if it was good or bad).
Whatever is around 1 decade old people give backlash for (doesn't matter if it was good or bad).
Whatever is current people complain about(again it doesn't matter if it was good or bad).

The annoying cycle.

There wasn't a MAJOR backlash against the 90s in the 00s. Maybe 1999 culture, but the true 90s not so much. Well, at least I don't recall a backlash against the core 90s.

I've noticed a 90's backlash mainly from adults who grew up in the '70s-'80s. But then again the only ones who were giving backlash to previous decades are usually the overly nostalgic ones that hate everything that isn't from their childhood. In the '00s the 80's nostalgia trend wasn't as bad which in turn didn't make the 90's backlash not seem as bad. The more nostalgia of whatever was 2 decades = more backlash of whatever was 1 decade ago. And everyone just hates whatever is current.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/10/16 at 11:28 pm

I think it was more prevalent in the first half of the 00's. I remember a lot of people made fun of the Backstreet Boys at that time. There was also a backlash against the fashion during the whole decade of the 00's. I remember in 2007 people said something looked "so 90s" as an insult if it looked ugly.

Written By: Toon on 05/10/16 at 11:30 pm

I think it was more prevalent in the first half of the 00's. I remember a lot of people made fun of the Backstreet Boys at that time.

Backstreet Boys and boy bands in general really.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 05/10/16 at 11:37 pm

Backstreet Boys and boy bands in general really.

Yup the millennium era type things... For example, I don't recall backlash against the hip hop or R&b artists from the 90s. A lot of them continued their work until the mid naughties.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 05/10/16 at 11:42 pm

Now... the 2000s backlash is DEFINITELY DEFINITELY prevalent. It started as early as 2009. On youtube, In the early 10s people talked ALL KINDS of crap about the decade; particularly the mid-late section!! :o

Written By: Howard on 05/11/16 at 3:54 pm

It'll be replace by the next popular social media app/platform/device in the future.

Whatever that will be.

Written By: mqg96 on 05/23/16 at 10:15 am

I think it has now after seeing this trailer......  :o

c38r-SAnTWM

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/23/16 at 1:07 pm

I think it has now after seeing this trailer......  :o

c38r-SAnTWM

Disney, along with any other motion picture company, has jumped the shark over everything that was popular during the 90s. I mean, there's a reason why 2000s nostalgia should be more prevalent. It's because of this. Even though it's a bit early to start late 2000s nostalgia, I feel like we should start having more nostalgia on the early-mid 2000s. Besides, 2000-2006 is over 10 years old and nobody gives a single flying f*ck about it. All because 90s nostalgia is still occupying their naive minds, even though there are 90s babies who are nostalgic for a decade that they barely experienced.

I think it's safe to say that it's time to stop with this 90s nostalgia. It's not even like the 90s, where everything wasn't HD and everybody has to watch their movies on VHS tapes. Do I see anybody doing that sh*t today? No. I could even admit that the 2000s were more 90s nostalgic, since everyone was still keeping their VCRs over their memories from the 80s and 90s.

Written By: XYkid on 05/23/16 at 2:50 pm

I think it has more to do with the fact that more people were children in the 90s than in the 80s. the 80s and 90s had some of the highest birthrates in this country, whereas the 60s and 70s had one of the lowest.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/23/16 at 3:01 pm

I think it has more to do with the fact that more people were children in the 90s than in the 80s. the 80s and 90s had some of the highest birthrates in this country, whereas the 60s and 70s had one of the lowest.

So 80s and 90s babies are the new baby boomers?  ;D

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/23/16 at 3:06 pm

More like neo Baby Boomers. Since their parents are Baby Boomers.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 05/23/16 at 6:25 pm

This! During those decades, the birthrate was so high that it made it to 4 million for 5 years while the rest were very close and the fact there were many teen pregnancies.

More like neo Baby Boomers. Since their parents are Baby Boomers.

There is another name for that, but we're called the Echo Boomers as this generation had almost the same amount of people as the original Boomers.

Written By: bchris02 on 05/24/16 at 1:13 am

There is another name for that, but we're called the Echo Boomers as this generation had almost the same amount of people as the original Boomers.

Yeah, Echo Boomers were the original name of the Millennial generation before Neil Howe published the book "Millennials Rising".

Written By: Mish-L on 05/24/16 at 8:15 pm

the 80s and 90s had some of the highest birthrates in this country, whereas the 60s and 70s had one of the lowest.

That's not entirely factual...

I already posted this data in another thread, but since you guys are talking about birth numbers I thought I'd re-post it. This is based off data that was found on CDC.gov.

Birth decade Number of births
1920s         28,582,000
1930s         24,374,000
1940s         31,666,000
1950s         40,528,796
1960s         38,808,409
1970s         33,308,985
1980s         37,507,077
1990s         39,860,087
2000s         41,406,971

Spoiler for number of births per year from 1909-2014

Year Birth Number
1909 2,718,000
1910 2,777,000
1911 2,809,000
1912 2,840,000
1913 2,869,000
1914 2,966,000
1915 2,964,000
1916 2,964,000
1917 2,944,000
1918 2,948,000
1919 2,740,000
1920 2,950,000
1921 3,055,000
1922 2,882,000
1923 2,910,000
1924 2,979,000
1925 2,909,000
1926 2,839,000
1927 2,802,000
1928 2,674,000
1929 2,582,000
1930 2,618,000
1931 2,506,000
1932 2,440,000
1933 2,307,000
1934 2,396,000
1935 2,377,000
1936 2,355,000
1937 2,413,000
1938 2,496,000
1939 2,466,000
1940 2,559,000
1941 2,703,000
1942 2,989,000
1943 3,104,000
1944 2,939,000
1945 2,858,000
1946 3,411,000
1947 3,817,000
1948 3,637,000
1949 3,649,000
1950 3,632,000
1951 3,820,000
1952 3,909,000
1953 3,959,000
1954 4,071,000
1955 4,097,000
1956 4,210,000
1957 4,300,000
1958 4,286,000
1959 4,244,796
1960 4,257,850
1961 4,268,326
1962 4,167,362
1963 4,098,020
1964 4,027,490
1965 3,760,358
1966 3,606,274
1967 3,520,959
1968 3,501,564
1969 3,600,206
1970 3,731,386
1971 3,555,970
1972 3,258,411
1973 3,136,965
1974 3,159,958
1975 3,144,198
1976 3,167,788
1977 3,326,632
1978 3,333,279
1979 3,494,398
1980 3,612,258
1981 3,629,238
1982 3,680,537
1983 3,638,933
1984 3,669,141
1985 3,760,561
1986 3,756,547
1987 3,809,394
1988 3,909,510
1989 4,040,958
1990 4,158,212
1991 4,110,907
1992 4,065,014
1993 4,000,240
1994 3,952,767
1995 3,899,589
1996 3,891,494
1997 3,880,894
1998 3,941,553
1999 3,959,417
2000 4,058,814
2001 4,025,933
2002 4,021,726
2003 4,089,950
2004 4,112,052
2005 4,138,349
2006 4,265,555
2007 4,316,233
2008 4,247,694
2009 4,130,665
2010 3,999,386
2011 3,953,590
2012 3,952,841
2013 3,932,181
2014 3,985,924

Spoiler for total numbers of births in 20 year spans

20 year span    Total number of births
1909-1928 57,539,000
1910-1929 57,403,000
1911-1930 57,244,000
1912-1931 56,941,000
1913-1932 56,541,000
1914-1933 55,979,000
1915-1934 55,409,000
1916-1935 54,822,000
1917-1936 54,213,000
1918-1937 53,682,000
1919-1938 53,230,000
1920-1939 52,956,000
1921-1940 52,565,000
1922-1941 52,213,000
1923-1942 52,320,000
1924-1943 52,514,000
1925-1944 52,474,000
1926-1945 52,423,000
1927-1946 52,995,000
1928-1947 54,010,000
1929-1948 54,973,000
1930-1949 56,040,000
1931-1950 57,054,000
1932-1951 58,368,000
1933-1952 59,837,000
1934-1953 61,489,000
1935-1954 63,164,000
1936-1955 64,884,000
1937-1956 66,739,000
1938-1957 68,626,000
1939-1958 70,416,000
1940-1959 72,194,796
1941-1960 73,893,646
1942-1961 75,458,972
1943-1962 76,637,334
1944-1963 77,631,354
1945-1964 78,719,844
---------------------------- Boom
1946-1965 79,622,202
1947-1966 79,817,476
1948-1967 79,521,435
1949-1968 79,385,999
1950-1969 79,337,205
1951-1970 79,436,591
1952-1971 79,172,561
1953-1972 78,521,972
1954-1973 77,699,937
1955-1974 76,788,895
1956-1975 75,836,093
1957-1976 74,793,881
1958-1977 73,820,513
1959-1978 72,867,792
1960-1979 72,117,394
1961-1980 71,471,802
1962-1981 70,832,714
1963-1982 70,345,889
1964-1983 69,886,802
---------------------------- Bust
1965-1984 69,528,453
1966-1985 69,528,656
1967-1986 69,678,929
1968-1987 69,967,364
1969-1988 70,375,310
1970-1989 70,816,062
1971-1990 71,242,888
1972-1991 71,797,825
1973-1992 72,604,428
1974-1993 73,467,703
1975-1994 74,260,512
1976-1995 75,015,903
1977-1996 75,739,609
1978-1997 76,293,871
1979-1998 76,902,145
1980-1999 77,367,164
1981-2000 77,813,720
1982-2001 78,210,415
1983-2002 78,551,604
1984-2003 79,002,621
1985-2004 79,445,532
1986-2005 79,823,320
1987-2006 80,332,328
1988-2007 80,839,167
1989-2008 81,177,351
1990-2009 81,267,058
1991-2010 81,108,232
1992-2011 80,950,915
1993-2012 80,838,742
1994-2013 80,770,683
1995-2014 80,803,840

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/24/16 at 9:23 pm

That's not entirely factual...

I already posted this data in another thread, but since you guys are talking about birth numbers I thought I'd re-post it. This is based off data that was found on CDC.gov.

Birth decade Number of births
1920s         28,582,000
1930s         24,374,000
1940s         31,666,000
1950s         40,528,796
1960s         38,808,409
1970s         33,308,985
1980s         37,507,077
1990s         39,860,087
2000s         41,406,971

Spoiler for number of births per year from 1909-2014

Year Birth Number
1909 2,718,000
1910 2,777,000
1911 2,809,000
1912 2,840,000
1913 2,869,000
1914 2,966,000
1915 2,964,000
1916 2,964,000
1917 2,944,000
1918 2,948,000
1919 2,740,000
1920 2,950,000
1921 3,055,000
1922 2,882,000
1923 2,910,000
1924 2,979,000
1925 2,909,000
1926 2,839,000
1927 2,802,000
1928 2,674,000
1929 2,582,000
1930 2,618,000
1931 2,506,000
1932 2,440,000
1933 2,307,000
1934 2,396,000
1935 2,377,000
1936 2,355,000
1937 2,413,000
1938 2,496,000
1939 2,466,000
1940 2,559,000
1941 2,703,000
1942 2,989,000
1943 3,104,000
1944 2,939,000
1945 2,858,000
1946 3,411,000
1947 3,817,000
1948 3,637,000
1949 3,649,000
1950 3,632,000
1951 3,820,000
1952 3,909,000
1953 3,959,000
1954 4,071,000
1955 4,097,000
1956 4,210,000
1957 4,300,000
1958 4,286,000
1959 4,244,796
1960 4,257,850
1961 4,268,326
1962 4,167,362
1963 4,098,020
1964 4,027,490
1965 3,760,358
1966 3,606,274
1967 3,520,959
1968 3,501,564
1969 3,600,206
1970 3,731,386
1971 3,555,970
1972 3,258,411
1973 3,136,965
1974 3,159,958
1975 3,144,198
1976 3,167,788
1977 3,326,632
1978 3,333,279
1979 3,494,398
1980 3,612,258
1981 3,629,238
1982 3,680,537
1983 3,638,933
1984 3,669,141
1985 3,760,561
1986 3,756,547
1987 3,809,394
1988 3,909,510
1989 4,040,958
1990 4,158,212
1991 4,110,907
1992 4,065,014
1993 4,000,240
1994 3,952,767
1995 3,899,589
1996 3,891,494
1997 3,880,894
1998 3,941,553
1999 3,959,417
2000 4,058,814
2001 4,025,933
2002 4,021,726
2003 4,089,950
2004 4,112,052
2005 4,138,349
2006 4,265,555
2007 4,316,233
2008 4,247,694
2009 4,130,665
2010 3,999,386
2011 3,953,590
2012 3,952,841
2013 3,932,181
2014 3,985,924

Spoiler for total numbers of births in 20 year spans

20 year span    Total number of births
1909-1928 57,539,000
1910-1929 57,403,000
1911-1930 57,244,000
1912-1931 56,941,000
1913-1932 56,541,000
1914-1933 55,979,000
1915-1934 55,409,000
1916-1935 54,822,000
1917-1936 54,213,000
1918-1937 53,682,000
1919-1938 53,230,000
1920-1939 52,956,000
1921-1940 52,565,000
1922-1941 52,213,000
1923-1942 52,320,000
1924-1943 52,514,000
1925-1944 52,474,000
1926-1945 52,423,000
1927-1946 52,995,000
1928-1947 54,010,000
1929-1948 54,973,000
1930-1949 56,040,000
1931-1950 57,054,000
1932-1951 58,368,000
1933-1952 59,837,000
1934-1953 61,489,000
1935-1954 63,164,000
1936-1955 64,884,000
1937-1956 66,739,000
1938-1957 68,626,000
1939-1958 70,416,000
1940-1959 72,194,796
1941-1960 73,893,646
1942-1961 75,458,972
1943-1962 76,637,334
1944-1963 77,631,354
1945-1964 78,719,844
1946-1965 79,622,202
1947-1966 79,817,476
1948-1967 79,521,435
1949-1968 79,385,999
1950-1969 79,337,205
1951-1970 79,436,591
1952-1971 79,172,561
1953-1972 78,521,972
1954-1973 77,699,937
1955-1974 76,788,895
1956-1975 75,836,093
1957-1976 74,793,881
1958-1977 73,820,513
1959-1978 72,867,792
1960-1979 72,117,394
1961-1980 71,471,802
1962-1981 70,832,714
1963-1982 70,345,889
1964-1983 69,886,802
1965-1984 69,528,453
1966-1985 69,528,656
1967-1986 69,678,929
1968-1987 69,967,364
1969-1988 70,375,310
1970-1989 70,816,062
1971-1990 71,242,888
1972-1991 71,797,825
1973-1992 72,604,428
1974-1993 73,467,703
1975-1994 74,260,512
1976-1995 75,015,903
1977-1996 75,739,609
1978-1997 76,293,871
1979-1998 76,902,145
1980-1999 77,367,164
1981-2000 77,813,720
1982-2001 78,210,415
1983-2002 78,551,604
1984-2003 79,002,621
1985-2004 79,445,532
1986-2005 79,823,320
1987-2006 80,332,328
1988-2007 80,839,167
1989-2008 81,177,351
1990-2009 81,267,058
1991-2010 81,108,232
1992-2011 80,950,915
1993-2012 80,838,742
1994-2013 80,770,683
1995-2014 80,803,840

This is some really interesting data. One thing that it shows is that the so-called "Baby Bust" during the Gen X birth years wasn't quite as bad as some folks say it was, and didn't really become a serious problem until the mid 1970's. It also seems to indicate that the "Echo Boom" of the 1980's didn't really hit it's stride until the early '90s. 1989 was the first year with more than 4 million births since 1964, which is usually cited as the traditional end of the Baby Boom generation.

Written By: 2001 on 05/25/16 at 12:44 pm

This is some really interesting data. One thing that it shows is that the so-called "Baby Bust" during the Gen X birth years wasn't quite as bad as some folks say it was, and didn't really become a serious problem until the mid 1970's. It also seems to indicate that the "Echo Boom" of the 1980's didn't really hit it's stride until the early '90s. 1989 was the first year with more than 4 million births since 1964, which is usually cited as the traditional end of the Baby Boom generation.

Early 90s babies are going to rule the world. You guys thought 90s nostalgia was bad? You haven't seen anything yet, there will be Y2K era nostalgia till the end of time :P

Seeing so many babies born in the late 2000s is awesome too. Imagine how huge the 2010s nostalgia will be  :D

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/25/16 at 1:30 pm

Early 90s babies are going to rule the world. You guys thought 90s nostalgia was bad? You haven't seen anything yet, there will be Y2K era nostalgia till the end of time :P

Seeing so many babies born in the late 2000s is awesome too. Imagine how huge the 2010s nostalgia will be  :D

It's sad for them because when they're old enough to be teens, they'll find a bunch of cartoon reviewers who praise their favorite childhood cartoons sexually. My Little Pony: FIM is a great example on that, if there was little girls.

Written By: 2001 on 05/26/16 at 12:22 am

It's sad for them because when they're old enough to be teens, they'll find a bunch of cartoon reviewers who praise their favorite childhood cartoons sexually. My Little Pony: FIM is a great example on that, if there was little girls.

Damn, I always tease my 10-year old sister for watching MLP by saying "this show is not for kids, it's for grown men!" but now I'm scared for when she discovers why :o

Not all bronies are furries though.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/26/16 at 6:51 am

Damn, I always tease my 10-year old sister for watching MLP by saying "this show is not for kids, it's for grown men!" but now I'm scared for when she discovers why :o

Not all bronies are furries though.

You shouldn't really say about that to her, since her childhood would be ruined if she looked that up.

Check for new replies or respond here...