inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Why do you guys think that the 2010s is great?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/03/16 at 1:01 pm

I don't find a lot of stuff from this decade to be good. There are some good sh*t, but it's not memorable to me, IMO. I'm pretty sure that pop culture is subjective, and I could agree. There could be people who wouldn't like several decades, and I'm okay with that. Especially when there's a lot of people who don't like the 50s, 70s, and the 2000s. But what makes it different is that the 2010s always gets sugar coated by everyone on this message board.

I'm sure there are people like Eazy-EMan1995, mqg96, and Infinity that I could relate to here. But people like Slowpoke, Toon, JordanK1982 (despite not liking this decade) just makes me wonder what's going on with them. It's like they're believing that everything's perfect and nothing terrible is happening. I could name several things that's just terrible with this decade, but that would take up the whole rant. So, just what the hell is with you guys?

Note: I'm not saying most decades are perfect, that's clearly the point of this thread.

Subject: Re: Why do you guys think that the 2010s is great?

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/03/16 at 1:03 pm

Huh? When did I say I like the 2010's? ???

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/03/16 at 1:10 pm

Huh? When did I say I like the 2010's? ???

You said that the 2010s was better than the real 2000s. Although, I did mention that you didn't like the decade.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/03/16 at 1:17 pm

You said that the 2010s was better than the real 2000s. Although, I did mention that you didn't like the decade.

I still think the decade sucks. The only reason the 2010s are better than the real 2000s is because I'd rather live in the present than go back in time to somewhere super lame like 2005. I'm so out of touch I don't even know what's popular in the 2010s anymore expect for lame hipsters with bad haircuts. 

Written By: Toon on 05/03/16 at 3:02 pm

I enjoy the cartoons, movies, games,  some music, tech innovations, comics etc. To me the 2010s is a pretty decent decade. To each his own when it comes to liking a decade or not. I don't like the SJW related trends that're going on and the overload of 1990's nostalgia among a few other things. But no decade is perfect. Overall I don't have much to complain about.

Written By: mqg96 on 05/03/16 at 3:17 pm

People all ages have different tastes in different types of culture from different time periods. No one can automatically judge a time period based off one specific culture that they follow(ed) the most. People have to look at the big picture of everything. Political, worldly, social justice, sports, different cultural backgrounds of music or fashion, their heritage, internet evolving over time, different genres of TV shows, movies, gaming, etc. It depends on what you follow(ed) the most. Sometimes TV could be in a dark age while gaming is in a golden age, while TV could be in a golden age while gaming is in a dark age. You never know. So it's their own opinion. If someone believes that the mid 2010's is currently the best time of their life right now, then there's no problem with that. People from different age groups, cultural backgrounds, or generations will have different taste in things based off how they grew up.

Personally for me, the 2010's have been great for movies, Netflix being the modern Blockbuster, the comic book shows/movies, being out of high school, driving by myself anywhere I want to, trap rap music (yes people I love it), electropop or EDM music, the ability to rely on great technology like mobile/app phones or seeing old & current friends on Facebook/Twitter, and tuning into the college football, NFL, college basketball, and NBA seasons every year (sports). My problems with the 2010's have been the sensitivity and over saturation of social media on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, WorldStarHipHop, etc., the terrorists attacks (especially ISIS), the political and lifestyle culture, SJW culture, all the shootings, cable TV not being as good anymore, etc. Some stuff about this decade I disagree with or dislike I can't say on here. The positives about the 2010's cost about 3-5 points each, but the negatives about the 2010's cost about 7-9 points each because it's really that effective.

Written By: musicguy93 on 05/03/16 at 3:18 pm

I still think the decade sucks. The only reason the 2010s are better than the real 2000s is because I'd rather live in the present than go back in time to somewhere super lame like 2005. I'm so out of touch I don't even know what's popular in the 2010s anymore expect for lame hipsters with bad haircuts.

To be honest, it's kind of a blessing to be out of touch with the trends that are going on right now.  8-P

Written By: musicguy93 on 05/03/16 at 3:21 pm

Despite my deep hatred for this decade, I really do believe people's tastes are subjective, at the end of the day. Still, I question the longevity of today's pop culture/entertainment. I really don't see it aging well.

Written By: Toon on 05/03/16 at 3:32 pm

Despite my deep hatred for this decade, I really do believe people's tastes are subjective, at the end of the day. Still, I question the longevity of today's pop culture/entertainment. I really don't see it aging well.

Who knows. I'm actually curious on how well this decades pop culture ages by the time we reach the '20s.

Written By: 2001 on 05/03/16 at 3:33 pm

I'll probably make a more detailed post after I get home. I just want to say I used to listen to this song all the time when I was 10 years old in the early 2000s, but I feel like everything in this song is more true right now at 23 than ever before!  :D

Uz5879zW5JU

If 2016 keeps it up it will probably be my favourite year.

Written By: Toon on 05/03/16 at 3:49 pm

I'll probably make a more detailed post after I get home. I just want to say I used to listen to this song all the time when I was 10 years old in the early 2000s, but I feel like everything in this song is more true right now at 23 than ever before!  :D

Uz5879zW5JU

I always appreciate Slowpoke's love for the modern  8)

Written By: 2001 on 05/03/16 at 4:17 pm

I always appreciate Slowpoke's love for the modern  8)

Haha thanks, same to you!  ;) I don't love it for the sake modernity though, a lot of the movies, music, TV Shows, tech, fashion, social culture, and "attitude"/values of the decade really speak to me.

Movies: 2014 was my favourite year in movies.
Music: 2010-2012 and 2014 were just pure fun. 2016 has a lot of good music too even though I'm dying for any decent dance song.
TV shows: Just every new show seems to be the greatest show I've ever watched. Have you seen the latest Game of Thrones episode?  :o
Tech: smartphones have improved my life big time. Also on a personal level, I learnt how to code and have built a lot of my own software (and soon hardware!) that has immensely improved my life.
Fashion: everyone seems to concentrate on hipsters, which is a shame. This is the first decade a man can wear a scarf and not get beaten to a pulp. It's either super fun (neon in the early 10's, which you can still wear today) or classy (metrosexuals).
Social culture/attitude/values: Seeing as I'm a gay man, 2010s is more or less the only decade in modern history where I don't have to worry for my personal safety, that is already a massive plus. NO I don't miss being shoved onto lockers or pushed into swimming pools because I'm wearing a purple wristband, or half the dudes in my class not wanting to be seen anywhere near me. Other than that, I enjoy the progressive, non conformist, quirky attitude of the entire decade. :)

Written By: mqg96 on 05/03/16 at 4:31 pm

2013 was my favorite year of movies of this decade, but 2012 & 2014 were great too and 2016 has been great so far!

Music: 2010-2012 and 2014 were just pure fun. 2016 has a lot of good music too even though I'm dying for any decent dance song.

Same here. My freshman (2010-2011) and senior (2013-2014) years of high school have been my favorite stretches for music of this decade so far.

TV shows: Just every new show seems to be the greatest show I've ever watched. Have you seen the latest Game of Thrones episode?  :o

I wish I would have started Game of Thrones when it first premiered  :-\\  but I will catch up soon though. We don't need episodic sitcoms anymore until further notice when you have all these comic book or novel shows out here with tons of action, deep story, and well developed characters with lots of depth.

Fashion: everyone seems to concentrate on hipsters, which is a shame. This is the first decade a man can wear a scarf and not get beaten to a pulp. It's either super fun (neon in the early 10's, which you can still wear today) or classy (metrosexuals).

Hipsters are lame, but when it comes to fashion. It's always urban, country, or sports style for me.

Written By: 2001 on 05/03/16 at 5:07 pm

2013 was my favorite year of movies of this decade, but 2012 & 2014 were great too and 2016 has been great so far!
Same here. My freshman (2010-2011) and senior (2013-2014) years of high school have been my favorite stretches for music of this decade so far.
I wish I would have started Game of Thrones when it first premiered  :-\\  but I will catch up soon though. We don't need episodic sitcoms anymore until further notice when you have all these comic book or novel shows out here with tons of action, deep story, and well developed characters with lots of depth.
Hipsters are lame, but when it comes to fashion. It's always urban, country, or sports style for me.

2013 for movies was good too! I was very busy in 2013 so I wasn't very pop culturally involved that year, but I still get to watch some good movies like Life of Pi, The Conjuring and Hunger Games. 2014 we had Boyhood, Guardians of the Galaxy, Interstellar, The Winter Soldier, Gone Girl, 22 Jump Street and Selma. 2016 has been amazing so far too with Deadpool, Zootopia, Jungle Book and soon Captain America Civil War (which is going to be legendary).  Really, just the entire mid-10s has been great for movies, I can't think of any other period where I've seen so many high quality movies.

Same. I like every year in music this decade, honestly. It was around the middle of 2015 where it started to get stale for me, but late 2015 was good again.

You should definitely watch them! I actually only started watching the show this season, but I had read the books before, so I was already fairly caught up. The show is amazing right from season 1 though, and one of the episodes in Season 3 is some of the greatest television I've ever seen.

Yeah, there are more styles this decade than just hipster  ::) I wish people would stop pretending everyone has a manbun.

Written By: Toon on 05/03/16 at 5:09 pm

Haha thanks, same to you!  ;) I don't love it for the sake modernity though, a lot of the movies, music, TV Shows, tech, fashion, social culture, and "attitude"/values of the decade really speak to me.

Tech: smartphones have improved my life big time. Also on a personal level, I learnt how to code and have built a lot of my own software (and soon hardware!) that has immensely improved my life.
Social culture/attitude/values: Seeing as I'm a gay man, 2010s is more or less the only decade in modern history where I don't have to worry for my personal safety, that is already a massive plus. NO I don't miss being shoved onto lockers or pushed into swimming pools because I'm wearing a purple wristband, or half the dudes in my class not wanting to be seen anywhere near me. Other than that, I enjoy the progressive, non conformist, quirky attitude of the entire decade. :)

I enjoy modern day things, but not merely for the fact that they're modern. I find a lot of the pop culture to be pretty decent.

From 2010 - Present I think the movies have been pretty good. When it comes to TV it's easy to say that we're in a good age of television. Most of the top 100 rated shows on IMDB seem to be from the 2010s. Music is a bit hit and miss for me, but that's really just comes down to taste. Millions of people enjoy the music. I love the tech that's been coming out and I can't wait to see what new things will come in the future. As for fashion while I don't like hipsters or their fashion I can't say that I'm bothered by it. The 2010s has more options when it comes to fashion. And I enjoy the skater fashion of this decade. Social attitude is where I'm split down the middle in terms of opinion. On one hand I'm okay with the way things are, but on the other hand I also have complaints.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/03/16 at 5:17 pm

Yeah, there are more styles this decade than just hipster  ::) I wish people would stop pretending everyone has a manbun.

If it's not a manbun, it's can undercut. ::)

Uz5879zW5JU

I noticed you retreat to 2000-2002 music instead of looking for songs of the 2010s to relate to. 8)

2016 has the possibility of being good, though. Really. If Sum and blink pull through and their success continues into 2017 then I'd say we've got some good years here.

Written By: #Infinity on 05/03/16 at 5:27 pm

Interesting. How have smartphones benefited your life so much? Smartphones are convenient, but that's about it to me. They're ruining in-person interaction and really don't offer anything you could already do through other means in 1997. AIM came out that year, as did DVD's (though VHS tapes were never that horrible), and the vast majority of games on the smartphone aren't any more complex than something on the original Game Boy. Games that are more sophisticated are usually relegated more to the Tablet, which really has all the capabilities of a laptop computer. Sure, technology in 1997 was not as convenient or crystal clear as it is now, but on a fundamental level, they could achieve all the basic essentials of an iPhone, it's just that they weren't addicting the masses to the same degree.

As for your coding job, that's definitely a matter of opinion. If you enjoy coding, then that makes the 2010s excellent for you personally. Me? I wish the job market was far more diverse than just computer programming jobs. My liberal arts degree in political science doesn't open as many doors as it would have in decades past.

It's definitely convenient for guys who don't want to be ultra-masculine, but it's a totally different story for a lot of other people. It isn't just "hipster" fashion that seems ubiquitous (though the stuff you describe fits in pretty easily under the hipster umbrella), it's also atrocious looks like side-buzzes, ear gauges, piercings, and tattoos. There's such an ardent movement to be different from the norm, especially in the lesbian community, that this rough look, opposite of my own personal style, is now the norm in itself. I know the lesbian community has always been full of rough, masculine types, but it's been brought to a whole new level this decade, with even self-identified femmes and lipsticks sporting these repugnant fashions to show off their inner rebel. Orange Is the New Black reflects this culture to a tee. Finding that bold, elegant dame just seems harder for me than ever before.

Part of your concern with personal safety was largely due to the fact that you were still in grade school. Yes, society today is much more accepting of gay rights as a whole than it was in the 2000s, but homophobia definitely still lurks from the darkest places, especially in middle and high school. Teen males are homophobic all too often, due to not having identified their own voice yet, and that trend hasn't totally slowed, especially with dudebro culture still reigning supreme in the gaming world.

I guess "non conformist" is a far more subjective term than any of us would like to believe. If you're naturally interested in a lot of the culture and social attitudes the current decade has to offer, then you'll be far more likely to flourish as yourself, hence why you'd consider it non conformist. Me personally? I feel practically invisible in today's society. Nobody, especially not in the lesbian community, seems to appreciate a woman who fully embraces her femininity, has laid-back social views, and dreams more of the type of women I posted on page 99 of the life as a kid in the early 2000s thread, as opposed to tatted up rebels or the cast of Orange Is the New Black.

Written By: 2001 on 05/03/16 at 5:27 pm

Undercuts look good to me so I'm not complaining :P but not everyone has an undercut.

I actually have 2015 songs, but I knew because it was 2015, everyone was going to s*** on them lol.

FATKhkXsp-0

And (you've heard this already I think)

dfOnfc8NHjU

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/03/16 at 5:30 pm

Undercuts look good to me so I'm not complaining :P but not everyone has an undercut.

I actually have 2015 songs, but I knew because it was 2015, everyone was going to s*** on them lol.

FATKhkXsp-0

And (you've heard this already I think)

dfOnfc8NHjU

You sent me Spirit Animal before. I saw that name and thought about how "for tumblr" it is. ;D

Better music:

nV_NXfKC4-A

;)

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/03/16 at 5:33 pm

You sent me Spirit Animal before. I saw that name and thought about how "for tumblr" it is. ;D

Better music:

nV_NXfKC4-A

;)

You know, at least your tastes in music seem awesome. I would rather listen to Y2K era music nonstop, instead of listening to music from this decade. So thanks, dude.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/03/16 at 5:38 pm

You know, at least your tastes in music seem awesome. I would rather listen to Y2K era music nonstop, instead of listening to music from this decade. So thanks, dude.

I'd say my music taste is pretty rad! Who doesn't love skating around to Act Your Age and Kings of Pop? No problem, New York Smeagol. Enjoy the trax! ;)

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/03/16 at 5:50 pm

I'd say my music taste is pretty rad! Who doesn't love skating around to Act Your Age and Kings of Pop? No problem, New York Smeagol. Enjoy the trax! ;)

You're welcome.

Written By: 2001 on 05/03/16 at 7:27 pm

Interesting. How have smartphones benefited your life so much? Smartphones are convenient, but that's about it to me. They're ruining in-person interaction and really don't offer anything you could already do through other means in 1997. AIM came out that year, as did DVD's (though VHS tapes were never that horrible), and the vast majority of games on the smartphone aren't any more complex than something on the original Game Boy. Games that are more sophisticated are usually relegated more to the Tablet, which really has all the capabilities of a laptop computer. Sure, technology in 1997 was not as convenient or crystal clear as it is now, but on a fundamental level, they could achieve all the basic essentials of an iPhone, it's just that they weren't addicting the masses to the same degree.

As for your coding job, that's definitely a matter of opinion. If you enjoy coding, then that makes the 2010s excellent for you personally. Me? I wish the job market was far more diverse than just computer programming jobs. My liberal arts degree in political science doesn't open as many doors as it would have in decades past.

It's definitely convenient for guys who don't want to be ultra-masculine, but it's a totally different story for a lot of other people. It isn't just "hipster" fashion that seems ubiquitous (though the stuff you describe fits in pretty easily under the hipster umbrella), it's also atrocious looks like side-buzzes, ear gauges, piercings, and tattoos. There's such an ardent movement to be different from the norm, especially in the lesbian community, that this rough look, opposite of my own personal style, is now the norm in itself. I know the lesbian community has always been full of rough, masculine types, but it's been brought to a whole new level this decade, with even self-identified femmes and lipsticks sporting these repugnant fashions to show off their inner rebel. Orange Is the New Black reflects this culture to a tee. Finding that bold, elegant dame just seems harder for me than ever before.

Part of your concern with personal safety was largely due to the fact that you were still in grade school. Yes, society today is much more accepting of gay rights as a whole than it was in the 2000s, but homophobia definitely still lurks from the darkest places, especially in middle and high school. Teen males are homophobic all too often, due to not having identified their own voice yet, and that trend hasn't totally slowed, especially with dudebro culture still reigning supreme in the gaming world.

I guess "non conformist" is a far more subjective term than any of us would like to believe. If you're naturally interested in a lot of the culture and social attitudes the current decade has to offer, then you'll be far more likely to flourish as yourself, hence why you'd consider it non conformist. Me personally? I feel practically invisible in today's society. Nobody, especially not in the lesbian community, seems to appreciate a woman who fully embraces her femininity, has laid-back social views, and dreams more of the type of women I posted on page 99 of the life as a kid in the early 2000s thread, as opposed to tatted up rebels or the cast of Orange Is the New Black.

Well, right at this moment I am posting from my phone, while also listening to music through it from Spotify. I can't say that isn't convenient ;) But right from the get go when I first bought my smartphone, it was a huge improvement for my social life. In the early 10s there was a social media website called Foursquare. You basically go to any store, restaurant, or just about any place, and you "check in", and this communicates to your friends that you're out and about and ready to hang out. Then and there my social life improved because I was hanging out with my friends a lot more, and I was also visiting new restaurants and places. I'm also a huge bike riding enthusiast, so as soon as I got my smartphone with its GPS (something that didn't exist in 1997) I started logging the distance travelled and the locations I've been too, and it showed me all the bike trails  I haven't visited right on Google Maps. I did a lot of crazy things with that GPS and a bike but I could write a whole essay on that. Another hobby of mine is language learning. It's so convenient to be able to read the news in French right on my phone when I'm sitting on the bus (and have a built in dictionary), or review my electronic flashcards, or be able to stream France 24 from my phone onto my TV via Chromecast. None of this was possible in 2007 let alone 1997. In 2007, I used to track my listening hours (how long in minutes I listened to the foreign language) with literal pen and paper. I'd take my pen and paper out of my pocket, and record the time I plugged my headphones into my iPod, and when I plug them out I'd record the time again. Now in 2016 I've written my own software that detects when my headphones are plugged into my phone, and then it asks me whether I'm listening to French or English, and detects if any media is being played, and starts counting the listening hours itself. I've actually thought about making a thread about this, how my hobbies have changed over the years/decades.

That's true, I'll concede that the job market in the 2010s is rather terrible. One of my best friends moved to Iqaluit (Canadian Arctic) because that's the only place she could find a teaching job.  :\'( A university degree doesn't mean what it used to mean. Case in point, I'm only halfway through my computer science degree and still got a job in the field (I've finished my Physics degree though).

Hmm, I'm surprised you don't like the female fashion of this decade. I mean, I don't know how it is in the lesbian community, but in the previous decade it was all about looking like Avril Lavigne and her androgynous, tom boyish looks. The skinny/borderline anorexic obsession last decade was also crazy to look back on. Nowadays I see women proudly sporting floral and summer dresses all the time, and the whole 90s "vintage" Look is very feminine. But then again, I don't know what it's like specifically in the lesbian community, or how it was in previous decades.

I'm not sure how prevalent homophobia is in schools anymore. Even when I was in school, the teachers (non high schoolers) didn't care to support me, most looked the other way. It was in 2009-10 when that all changed. In that school year it became incredibly uncool to be homophobic, and a lot of people not only stopped trying to disassociate themselves from me, but actively tried to make friends with me (I usually got top marks in class, and in the nerd-obsession culture of the time, that always got me some notoriety). It was nice to not have to apologize for who I was anymore. I consider 2009-10 school year to be cultural 2010s, and even if some casual homophobia still existed, it was not active and encouraged like in 2004-2007. To me gaming has been dudebro oriented since 2004, so I don't think of it as an exclusively 2010s thing, although the decline of Nintendo in the 2010s has been sad for me to see.

I agree with you! I was thinking along similar lines. When Jordan said the 2010s are conformist I was incredibly confused. He can still get away with dressing like a 90s skater, but if I wore skinny jeans or a peacoat in the early 2000s I would have been pulverized. But then he said something about SJWs and I could see how it can be conformist from his perspective. "Conformism" on a subjective level basically means "how well I can get away with just being me", and I guess it's going to vary strongly from person to person.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 05/03/16 at 7:34 pm

NY Eagle thank you VERY MUCH for this thread!
You guys already know I have VERY mixed feelings on this decade. It has brought more bad than good for me in my life.
Culturally I've enjoyed the movies and tv. Though 2010 and 2011 were kinda weak years.... But Music from 2010-2011,2013-early 2014 was DAMNED good! Gaming industry was still pretty good in the early 2010s.
Soo.... Cultural speaking the early 2010s was decent to me; I just didn't think they were as good as the early 2000s tho. ;)

However my personal life REALLY REALLY sucked in the early 2010s, since I was a high schooler for most of these years and it was pretty cynical and hectic time for me.... I guess if you were a young 20 something or in college duinrg the early 10s it felt more upbeat, but if you were my age NOPE... unless you were accepted by the populars. Politically and lifestylewise, it wasn't too good.... This was the worst time in my lifetime.

Now in the mid 10s, the pop culture has kinda declined a bit.. :o Music is kinda crappy, TV isn't as good as it was in the early 10s, movies are about the same, but they are VERY comic book heavy; which isn't a bad thing but it's kinda getting oversaturated.... :(
Lifestylewise things are A LOT better for me, my 20s have been met with obstacles so far, but I like the challenge life faces me.
But.... poltically and lifestyle wise the mid 10s have been DARK, SAD, and VERY VERY cynical... The Mike Brown and Eric Garner deaths, EBOLA, ISIS, school and the San Bernadido shootings, new civil rights movement, 2016 candidate races etc. We're seeing more tragedy than good in this world. Sure 00s had 9/11, war on terror, Bush administration backlash, natural disasters, virgina tech, but it wasn't happening consistently.

Overall, this hasn't been that great of decade for me, my thoughts are pretty mixed; soo far as a Late Gen Yer I kinda prefer the 2000s over the 2010s....

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 05/03/16 at 7:40 pm

Aww I see, it's obvious we come from VERY different worlds and have pretty different beliefs. I can understand why a person like you would love the current decade, lifestyle wise since society is much more accepting to people like you.

But as a heterosexual black male, I'm not to fond of this decades spirit... it's too feminine for me, My people's culture has declined DRAMATICALLY from decades past.  I just miss the cool, badass, fun loving, easy going African american culutre from back in the day. I'm REALLY tired of this serious, political correctness bullcrap.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/03/16 at 7:43 pm

Well, right at this moment I am posting from my phone, while also listening to music through it from Spotify. I can't say that isn't convenient ;) But right from the get go when I first bought my smartphone, it was a huge improvement for my social life. In the early 10s there was a social media website called Foursquare. You basically go to any store, restaurant, or just about any place, and you "check in", and this communicates to your friends that you're out and about and ready to hang out. Then and there my social life improved because I was hanging out with my friends a lot more, and I was also visiting new restaurants and places. I'm also a huge bike riding enthusiast, so as soon as I got my smartphone with its GPS (something that didn't exist in 1997) I started logging the distance travelled and the locations I've been too, and it showed me all the bike trails  I haven't visited right on Google Maps. I did a lot of crazy things with that GPS and a bike but I could write a whole essay on that. Another hobby of mine is language learning. It's so convenient to be able to read the news in French right on my phone when I'm sitting on the bus (and have a built in dictionary), or review my electronic flashcards, or be able to stream France 24 from my phone onto my TV via Chromecast. None of this was possible in 2007 let alone 1997. In 2007, I used to track my listening hours (how long in minutes I listened to the foreign language) with literal pen and paper. I'd take my pen and paper out of my pocket, and record the time I plugged my headphones into my iPod, and when I plug them out I'd record the time again. Now in 2016 I've written my own software that detects when my headphones are plugged into my phone, and then it asks me whether I'm listening to French or English, and detects if any media is being played, and starts counting the listening hours itself. I've actually thought about making a thread about this, how my hobbies have changed over the years/decades.

That's true, I'll concede that the job market in the 2010s is rather terrible. One of my best friends moved to Iqaluit (Canadian Arctic) because that's the only place she could find a teaching job.  :\'( A university degree doesn't mean what it used to mean. Case in point, I'm only halfway through my computer science degree and still got a job in the field (I've finished my Physics degree though).

Hmm, I'm surprised you don't like the female fashion of this decade. I mean, I don't know how it is in the lesbian community, but in the previous decade it was all about looking like Avril Lavigne and her androgynous, tom boyish looks. The skinny/borderline anorexic obsession last decade was also crazy to look back on. Nowadays I see women proudly sporting floral and summer dresses all the time, and the whole 90s "vintage" Look is very feminine. But then again, I don't know what it's like specifically in the lesbian community, or how it was in previous decades.

I'm not sure how prevalent homophobia is in schools anymore. Even when I was in school, the teachers (non high schoolers) didn't care to support me, most looked the other way. It was in 2009-10 when that all changed. In that school year it became incredibly uncool to be homophobic, and a lot of people not only stopped trying to disassociate themselves from me, but actively tried to make friends with me (I usually got top marks in class, and in the nerd-obsession culture of the time, that always got me some notoriety). It was nice to not have to apologize for who I was anymore. I consider 2009-10 school year to be cultural 2010s, and even if some casual homophobia still existed, it was not active and encouraged like in 2004-2007. To me gaming has been dudebro oriented since 2004, so I don't think of it as an exclusively 2010s thing, although the decline of Nintendo in the 2010s has been sad for me to see.

I agree with you! I was thinking along similar lines. When Jordan said the 2010s are conformist I was incredibly confused. He can still get away with dressing like a 90s skater, but if I wore skinny jeans or a peacoat in the early 2000s I would have been pulverized. But then he said something about SJWs and I could see how it can be conformist from his perspective. "Conformism" on a subjective level basically means "how well I can get away with just being me", and I guess it's going to vary strongly from person to person.

Only the first three/four years of the 00's tomboy styles were in. Avril herself started looking more feminine and girly in 2004/2005.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 05/03/16 at 7:45 pm

To me gaming has been dudebro oriented since 2004, so I don't think of it as an exclusively 2010s thing, although the decline of Nintendo in the 2010s has been sad for me to see.

I'd say it's been ''dudebro'' since late 2007 when Halo 3 and COD 4 came....

Written By: 2001 on 05/03/16 at 7:58 pm

Aww I see, it's obvious we come from VERY different worlds and have pretty different beliefs. I can understand why a person like you would love the current decade, lifestyle wise since society is much more accepting to people like you.

But as a heterosexual black male, I'm not to fond of this decades spirit... it's too feminine for me, My people's culture has declined DRAMATICALLY from decades past.  I just miss the cool, badass, fun loving, easy going African american culutre from back in the day. I'm REALLY tired of this serious, political correctness bullcrap.

That's true. I can see why you don't like the decade especially with what's been on the news the past few years  :( R&B was a force in the charts from 2003-2008.

Only the first three/four years of the 00's tomboy styles were in. Avril herself started looking more feminine and girly in 2004/2005.

In Canada, her wannabe punk look was fashionable up to 2006. IDK about the US. To me, her fashion defines the core 2000s, not just the early.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/03/16 at 8:03 pm

In Canada, her wannabe punk look was fashionable up to 2006. IDK about the US. To me, her fashion defines the core 2000s, not just the early.

Yeah, you were in High School and I only visited my uncle in Canada a few times around then so I can't really say but what I do know is that tomboy "girl power" type things in general went out of style the same time Buffy went off the air and Mean Girls premiered, at least over here. Avril wore baggy dickies in 2002 but in 2004 you see her wearing dresses and eventually she died her hair blonde either in 2004 or 2005. There's even a magazine from around then that says something to the effect of "rock's sexiest girl gets down and dirty" so her slutty image started to take shape around then, too.

Also, first GPS came out in 1978.

Written By: 2001 on 05/03/16 at 8:17 pm

Yeah, you were in High School and I only visited my uncle in Canada a few times around then so I can't really say but what I do know is that tomboy "girl power" type things in general went out of style the same time Buffy went off the air and Mean Girls premiered, at least over here. Avril wore baggy dickies in 2002 but in 2004 you see her wearing dresses and eventually she died her hair blonde either in 2004 or 2005. There's even a magazine from around then that says something to the effect of "rock's sexiest girl gets down and dirty" so her slutty image started to take shape around then, too.

Also, first GPS came out in 1978.

Well, you can search "Avril Lavigne 2005 " and decide for yourself if it looks super feminine. To me it's very androgynous by today's standards.

Navigation GPSes weren't available until the early 2000s, and not affordable until the mid-2000s.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/03/16 at 8:23 pm

Well, you can search "Avril Lavigne 2005 " and decide for yourself if it looks super feminine. To me it's very androgynous by today's standards.

Navigation GPSes weren't available until the early 2000s, and not affordable until the mid-2000s.

This looks more feminine than the hipster women by today's standards but more masculine compared to the men. Some of the photos shown are 2002 and 2003 and the others actually from 2005 are just t-shirts and jeans. Nothing too out there like baggy dickies and a tie. If you google "Avril Lavigne 2004" you see more photos of her in dresses and very feminine clothing.

You sure? I read that the earliest ones for personal use came out in the mid 80's.

Written By: 2001 on 05/03/16 at 8:34 pm

This looks more feminine than the hipster women by today's standards but more masculine compared to the men. Some of the photos shown are 2002 and 2003 and the others actually from 2005 are just t-shirts and jeans. Nothing too out there like baggy dickies and a tie. If you google "Avril Lavigne 2004" you see more photos of her in dresses and very feminine clothing.

You sure? I read that the earliest ones for personal use came out in the mid 80's.

Yeah, I learnt it in relativity class from a while ago. Unless I forgot already, navigation GPS's were not physically possible until the early 2000s because there weren't enough satellites in orbit.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/03/16 at 8:37 pm

Yeah, I learnt it in relativity class from a while ago. Unless I forgot already, navigation GPS's were not physically possible until the early 2000s because there weren't enough satellites in orbit.

That makes sense. One thing I know the first car with a navigation system came out in 1995 but I'm not an expert of GPS tech. So, they still technically did exist in 1997, though, not very useful.

Written By: 2001 on 05/03/16 at 8:40 pm

This is Avril Lavigne in her Nobody's Home video, popular in 2005/2006. The homeless one is how most people dressed, not the funeral dress one. And people still kept their hair straight. I remember those cardigans were popular in the mid-2000s

NGFSNE18Ywc

That and the general Mean Girls look with the flared jeans and the flip flops is what I remember being popular.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/03/16 at 8:42 pm

This is Avril Lavigne in her Nobody's Home video, popular in 2005/2006. The homeless one is how most people dressed, not the funeral dress one. And people still kept their hair straight. I remember those cardigans were popular in the mid-2000s

NGFSNE18Ywc

The real 00s: where homeless people are an accurate representation of current fashion. ;D

When I think of women's fashion from then I think of this:

http://www.all4women.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/mean-girls.jpg

http://lovelace-media.imgix.net/uploads/249/8f6d99c0-4739-0132-0afe-0eae5eefacd9.jpg?

Written By: 2001 on 05/03/16 at 8:59 pm

Okay I suck at lady's fashion, but here's Julie from Desperate Housewives (awesome show!), she's like 15 here is 2005.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/a9/4b/c4/a94bc49c3c6c27f867e8e9bb7b2d9470.jpg

https://d919ce141ef35c47fc40-b9166a60eccf0f83d2d9c63fa65b9129.ssl.cf5.rackcdn.com/images/36498.max-620x600.jpg

There was this other really trashy high school show in the mid-2000s that had am illegal amount of sex on it, that for the life of me I can't remember the name of. I thought it had Ashton Kutcher in it but apparently he wasn't.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/03/16 at 9:01 pm

Okay I suck at lady's fashion, but here's Julie from Desperate Housewives (awesome show!), she's like 15 here is 2005.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/a9/4b/c4/a94bc49c3c6c27f867e8e9bb7b2d9470.jpg

https://d919ce141ef35c47fc40-b9166a60eccf0f83d2d9c63fa65b9129.ssl.cf5.rackcdn.com/images/36498.max-620x600.jpg

There was this other really trashy high school show in the mid-2000s that had am illegal amount of sex on it, that for the life of me I can't remember the name of. I thought it had Ashton Kutcher in it but apparently he wasn't.

Yeah, it looks roughly the same as the photos I sent.

Also, "trashy high school show in the mid-2000s that had an illegal amount of sex on it" is concerning. :-\\ Shame Ashton Kutcher isn't on it 'cause Toon's a big fan of his and his trucker hats.

Written By: 2001 on 05/03/16 at 9:09 pm

Okay, we agree mid-2000s is less feminine though other than the pink overload?  ;D

Trucker hats? I've seen a few around lately. Toon is a fashion pioneer  :o

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/03/16 at 9:13 pm

Okay, we agree mid-2000s is less feminine though other than the pink overload?  ;D

Less feminine concerning women. ;D The 2010s seem to be all about androgyny with tumblr and it's focus on piercings and blue hair dye. I see these types of kids all the time and half the time, they're the ones who block the stairs (I'm not kidding about this one, they actually do block the stairs). 50/50, really. The real 00s are very plain.

Woah, really? His Ashton Kutcher fandom's paid off! But he also 'combines fashions' and wears those tight black shirts with the little stars in the corner near the shoulder, baggy dickies with chains, puka shell necklaces and either 2004-2009 scene hair or 2000-2002 spiky frosted tips depending on how his day is going.

Written By: 2001 on 05/03/16 at 9:28 pm

Less feminine concerning women. ;D The 2010s seem to be all about androgyny with tumblr and it's focus on piercings and blue hair dye. I see these types of kids all the time and half the time, they're the ones who block the stairs (I'm not kidding about this one, they actually do block the stairs). 50/50, really. The real 00s are very plain.

Woah, really? His Ashton Kutcher fandom's paid off! But he also 'combines fashions' and wears those tight black shirts with the little stars in the corner near the shoulder, baggy dickies with chains, puka shell necklaces and either 2004-2009 scene hair or 2000-2002 spiky frosted tips depending on how his day is going.

Damn, so we can expect those all to make a comeback since everyone is copying Toon. :o

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/03/16 at 9:35 pm

Damn, so we can expect those all to make a comeback since everyone is copying Toon. :o

Yeah... The 2020's are going to be a weird fashion mishmash and it's going to be all Toon's fault. He even wears beanies half way across his head, too...

Written By: 2001 on 05/03/16 at 9:48 pm

Yeah... The 2020's are going to be a weird fashion mishmash and it's going to be all Toon's fault. He even wears beanies half way across his head, too...
Oh the long beanies are super popular, at least in winter. Like half the dudes in my class had their hair covered. I put my hoody on to fit in.  :(

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/03/16 at 9:51 pm

Oh the long beanies are super popular, at least in winter. Like half the dudes in my class had their hair covered. I put my hoody on to fit in.  :(

I see that Toon's pioneered the beanie trend, too. What kind of hoodie does Toon wear, I wonder.

Written By: mqg96 on 05/03/16 at 10:21 pm

Same here! Everything you said relates to me exactly! Many of my friends in real life have this same feeling as well.

Written By: bchris02 on 05/03/16 at 10:46 pm

I really liked the late 2000s and early 2010s.

Haven't been super fond of the mid-2010s.  The music is getting better as of 2016, but I wish this SJW/anti-SJW crap would stop and people would learn to live and let live.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 05/03/16 at 10:49 pm

Haven't been super fond of the mid-2010s.  The music is getting better as of 2016, but I wish this SJW/anti-SJW crap would stop and people would learn to live and let live.

This. ALL THE FREAKIN WAYYY!!!!

Written By: 2001 on 05/03/16 at 11:32 pm

Is this really a thing? I only ever see that word used here, and by racists on Twitter, nowhere else  ??? A left / right divide is always going to exist.

Written By: Toon on 05/03/16 at 11:51 pm

The 2020's will be perfect! Ever since 2010 I've been planning to shape the next decade into my own flawless image. Combining the early 00's fashion with the mid-late 00's fashion was a brilliant idea! Who would've thought that combining things like Trucker Hats with Emo hair and chains would be such an amazing idea?!  8)

In the 2020s people will look like this
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/6e/fd/d5/6efdd5057db422100a52ec5132561e72.jpg
Combined with this
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-ntTuVeFEhIQ/T-N5EDj4xUI/AAAAAAAAADU/URHUUmxAPIE/s1600/2003+(this+one).jpg
And this
http://cache4.asset-cache.net/gc/108195135-large-group-of-scene-kids-in-a-wood-panel-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=crtZ0x%2BKmmvr%2F8Hr3WF1m6BegbLZBPHvXIwNBuGFO1PI5zv3tN8ykaO5j9%2Bu4qmy
2020s will be PERFECT!  Only 4 more years before it all comes together. Soon you'll be seeing Scene kids wearing trucker hats and baggy pants.

I see that Toon's pioneered the beanie trend, too. What kind of hoodie does Toon wear, I wonder.

Bape Hoodies, mate.
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/f5/ba/18/f5ba18decc00489be364e2f0594997c9.jpg

Written By: 2001 on 05/03/16 at 11:56 pm

Damn you have good fashion sense. I could totally rock this  ;D

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/04/16 at 12:01 am

The 2020's will be perfect! Ever since 2010 I've been planning to shape the next decade into my own flawless image. Combining the early 00's fashion with the mid-late 00's fashion was a brilliant idea! Who would've thought that combining things like Trucker Hats with Emo hair and chains would be such an amazing idea?!  8)

In the 2020s people will look like this
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/6e/fd/d5/6efdd5057db422100a52ec5132561e72.jpg
Combined with this
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-ntTuVeFEhIQ/T-N5EDj4xUI/AAAAAAAAADU/URHUUmxAPIE/s1600/2003+(this+one).jpg
And this
http://cache4.asset-cache.net/gc/108195135-large-group-of-scene-kids-in-a-wood-panel-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=crtZ0x%2BKmmvr%2F8Hr3WF1m6BegbLZBPHvXIwNBuGFO1PI5zv3tN8ykaO5j9%2Bu4qmy
2020s will be PERFECT!  Only 4 more years before it all comes together. Soon you'll be seeing Scene kids wearing trucker hats and baggy pants.
Bape Hoodies, mate.
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/f5/ba/18/f5ba18decc00489be364e2f0594997c9.jpg

My god, it's horrible!! You've ruined rad early 00s fashion with your tight hoodies with stars and Emo fringes! :o Also when I saw this photo:

I immediately thought "haha, stupid hipsters" then I remembered the undercuts. Toon, do you have a playlist named "Toon's Unholy Playlist From Hell" that has both good and bad Green Day with some Sum 41 and Home Grown playing alongside Fall Out Boy, Boys Like Girls and Panic at the Disco? :-\\

Also do you wear these hoodies, too?

http://sleevelesshoodie.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/California-Fleece-Sleeveless-Zip-Hoodie-For-Men.jpg

Damn you have good fashion sense. I could totally rock this  ;D

Ew. I will only rock the 1998-2002 style shown above. Everything else gets a big thumbs down.

Written By: Toon on 05/04/16 at 12:36 am

My god, it's horrible!! You've ruined rad early 00s fashion with your tight hoodies with stars and Emo fringes!

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/001/023/007/f29.png
Y U HATIN?!  >:( Mixing the extreme early 00's fashion with the emo fashion is awesome!

:o Also when I saw this photo:

I immediately thought "haha, stupid hipsters" then I remembered the undercuts. Toon, do you have a playlist named "Toon's Unholy Playlist From Hell" that has both good and bad Green Day with some Sum 41 and Home Grown playing alongside Fall Out Boy, Boys Like Girls and Panic at the Disco? :-\\

Also do you wear these hoodies, too?

http://sleevelesshoodie.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/California-Fleece-Sleeveless-Zip-Hoodie-For-Men.jpg

It isn't named "Toon's Unholy Playlist From Hell", but it does have tons of Green Day and Sum 41 music along with some Panic at the Disco and Fall Out Boy. It's what I like to call the "Ultimate playlist!" 8) :D ;D

Yes, yes I do wear hoodies like that. I'm a man of variety I like to mix up music and fashion from different time periods into one. 8)

Ew. I will only rock the 1998-2002 style shown above. Everything else gets a big thumbs down.

Mixing '98-'02 with '04-'09 is best thing since sliced bread! Here's an image of what people will look like in the '20s.
http://oi65.tinypic.com/2lu75i1.jpg

Look at the awesomeness! The hip young crowd will love it!

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/04/16 at 12:41 am

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/001/023/007/f29.png
Y U HATIN?!  >:( Mixing the extreme early 00's fashion with the emo fashion is awesome!

It isn't named "Toon's Unholy Playlist From Hell", but it does have tons of Green Day and Sum 41 music along with some Panic at the Disco and Fall Out Boy. It's what I like to call the "Ultimate playlist!" 8) :D ;D

Yes, yes I do wear hoodies like that. I'm a man of variety I like to mix up music and fashion from different time periods into one. 8)

Mixing '98-'02 with '04-'09 is best thing since sliced bread! Here's an image of what people will look like in the '20s.
http://oi65.tinypic.com/2lu75i1.jpg

Look at the awesomeness!

It's an unholy union... You have forsaken the frosted tips!! >:(

That playlist has to be the biggest headscrew I've ever heard of. You could be hanging out, listenin' to some sweet Dookie and then all of a sudden a song from American Idiot comes out of nowhere and plays in the middle and it totally gets screws with your head. Sounds horrid! :\'(

Even sleeveless sweaters!?!?!?! :o I... I don't know what to say...

That photo!!! What would the Dell Dude think of this!?!?

Written By: Toon on 05/04/16 at 12:50 am

It's an unholy union... You have forsaken the frosted tips!! >:(

That playlist has to be the biggest headscrew I've ever heard of. You could be hanging out, listenin' to some sweet Dookie and then all of a sudden a song from American Idiot comes out of nowhere and plays in the middle and it totally gets screws with your head. Sounds horrid! :\'(

Even sleeveless sweaters!?!?!?! :o I... I don't know what to say...

That photo!!! What would the Dell Dude think of this!?!?

I think it's awesome! Listening to some American idiot instead of some awful Sum 41 while rocking my frosted tips just goes to show what a cool dude that I am.

Sleeveless sweaters are not that bad! >:( I find them to be pretty decent. Someday you'll learn to agree.  ;)

That photo represents 2020-2029 it their entirety! Dell Dude approves of this!
http://i2.wp.com/cdn.bgr.com/2014/02/dell-dude-1.jpg?w=625

You can't argue with Dell Dude!

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/04/16 at 12:55 am

I think it's awesome! Listening to some American idiot instead of some awful Sum 41 while rocking my frosted tips just goes to show what a cool dude that I am.

Sleeveless sweaters are not that bad! >:( I find them to be pretty decent. Someday you'll learn to agree.  ;)

That photo represents 2020-2029 it their entirety! Dell Dude approves of this!
http://i2.wp.com/cdn.bgr.com/2014/02/dell-dude-1.jpg?w=625

You can't argue with Dell Dude!

But American Idiot is worse than awful Sum 41! If there's one album that gets "worst album of the new millennium" award it's American Idiot hands down. It is one of the most over hyped pieces of garbage I've ever heard in my entire life! The real Green Day I grew up with died in 2003.

They make people look like walking talking potato sacks! :o

I dunno, man. I think the Dell Dude is sitting there with his head down in disappointment.

http://az801229.vo.msecnd.net/wetpaint/2013/11/w630_Headshot2012-1385153444.jpg

He doesn't look very thrilled to me.

Written By: Toon on 05/04/16 at 1:00 am

But American Idiot is worse than awful Sum 41! If there's one album that gets "worst album of the new millennium" award it's American Idiot hands down. It is one of the most over hyped pieces of garbage I've ever heard in my entire life! The real Green Day I grew up with died in 2003.

They make people look like walking talking potato sacks! :o

I dunno, man. I think the Dell Dude is sitting there with his head down in disappointment.

http://az801229.vo.msecnd.net/wetpaint/2013/11/w630_Headshot2012-1385153444.jpg

He doesn't look very thrilled to me.

Your hate for American Idiot and sleeveless hoodies disappoints me. Someday I hope you'll get out of your crazy ways and join me in a perfect world. And that Dell Dude is clearly an imposter. For one he isn't selling anyone Windows 98 computers. And only the real Dell Dude will appreciate the world that I've created.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/04/16 at 1:02 am

Your hate for American Idiot and sleeveless hoodies disappoints me. Someday I hope you'll get out of your crazy ways and join me in a perfect world. And that Dell Dude is clearly an imposter. For one he isn't selling anyone Windows 98 computers. And only the real Dell Dude will appreciate the world that I've created.

I'd rather keep looking like this thank you.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Aaq7yXXgDBY/TWTY0TLwPnI/AAAAAAAAAAk/dleJrB_Uc4A/s1600/Sum41.jpg

(Don't you even think about photo shopping something awful onto that picture!)

That's because Dell fired him for smoking pot. :-\\ If he could, he'd be selling Windows 98 computers 'til the end of time, complete with AOL discs.

Written By: Toon on 05/04/16 at 1:15 am

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Aaq7yXXgDBY/TWTY0TLwPnI/AAAAAAAAAAk/dleJrB_Uc4A/s1600/Sum41.jpg

(Don't you even think about photo shopping something awful onto that picture!)

Time to open up photoshop!

That's because Dell fired him for smoking pot. :-\\ If he could, he'd be selling Windows 98 computers 'til the end of time, complete with AOL discs.

Dell Dude lived and died with early 2000's culture. When the early 2000s culture was fading so did he.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/04/16 at 1:29 am

Time to open up photoshop!

Dell Dude lived and died with early 2000's culture. When the early 2000s culture was fading so did he.

Don't you dare! >:(

I think you're right. The "official" story is that he was fired but the truth is that the Dell Dude died in an accident sometime in 2003.

Written By: #Infinity on 05/04/16 at 2:33 am

Ah, time to take a shot on that! :D

Written By: 2001 on 05/04/16 at 6:02 am

That's not the last we'll see of that picture lol.

I put all the rock that came out when I was in grade school into one playlist. 1999-2010, so I have early 2000s Sum 41 in with Paramore and Neon Trees. It's all about the Spirit of '99 (which lasted to the spirit of '11) ;)

Written By: #Infinity on 05/04/16 at 2:53 pm

With the endless rise of both shallow political correctness, as well as the nostalgia cycle's inevitable destination at the 2000s, I suppose this is a sneak peak of what the 2020s will be like:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/9c/9a/1b/9c9a1bf2663eb8bf0fb48389c2641b34.jpg
"Sup doggz. U wanna come over to da crib and play some Call of Duty: Mission X on ma PS5?"

https://barbarianstyle.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/A-wings-mens-hairstyle-2.jpg
"Aw YEAH! homie, that be TiGHT!"

https://barbarianstyle.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Mohawk-haircut-for-men.jpg
"Dude, you guys are using black slang when you're white. That's racist."

http://s.wigsbuy.com/images/product/11/11414/11414866_3.jpg
"Shut up, f**. Take your tranny-ass back where it came from."

https://barbarianstyle.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Mohawk-haircut-for-men.jpg
"Wow, you guys are definitely the main perpetuators of all the crime and injustice going on in the world. You should really trim up that hair, maybe get a tattoo or two, and only visit small, independent shops instead the corporate behemoths were you obviously bought your outfits."

http://s.wigsbuy.com/images/product/10/10712/10712836_1_m.jpg
"Whuvevs brah. Ur not gon change our mindz with ur political corectness. Now go back to your online petition to change the color of Elsa's dress."

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/bc/d3/d9/bcd3d9954a735b485be27e7d7b4fb48f.jpg
"Leave my boyfriend alone. You guys are patriarchal douches. An ford the record, Elsa's dress would be red instead of pastel blue if it wasn't for the system's need to serve men's sexual fantasies."

Written By: Toon on 05/04/16 at 3:43 pm

I'm now scared for the 2020s. All the cool kids want to play Call of Duty: Mission X (the fact that the name sounds legit is what's fun).

Political correctness will only cause more problems if it continues to get out of hand.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/04/16 at 3:47 pm

Ah, time to take a shot on that! :D

:D

That's not the last we'll see of that picture lol.

I put all the rock that came out when I was in grade school into one playlist. 1999-2010, so I have early 2000s Sum 41 in with Paramore and Neon Trees. It's all about the Spirit of '99 (which lasted to the spirit of '11) ;)

This is horrible! You've got Sum 41, blink-182 and other early 00s classics with... Paramore? 8-P You and Toon have awful ideas about how these things work. I'm gonna made you guys a real playlist with music from 1998-2003, the way it should be. ;)

With the endless rise of both shallow political correctness, as well as the nostalgia cycle's inevitable destination at the 2000s, I suppose this is a sneak peak of what the 2020s will be like:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/9c/9a/1b/9c9a1bf2663eb8bf0fb48389c2641b34.jpg
"Sup doggz. U wanna come over to da crib and play some Call of Duty: Mission X on ma PS5?"

https://barbarianstyle.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/A-wings-mens-hairstyle-2.jpg
"Aw YEAH! homie, that be TiGHT!"

"Dude, you guys are using black slang when you're white. That's racist."

http://s.wigsbuy.com/images/product/11/11414/11414866_3.jpg
"Shut up, f**. Take your tranny-ass back where it came from."

"Wow, you guys are definitely the main perpetuators of all the crime and injustice going on in the world. You should really trim up that hair, maybe get a tattoo or two, and only visit small, independent shops instead the corporate behemoths were you obviously bought your outfits."

http://s.wigsbuy.com/images/product/10/10712/10712836_1_m.jpg
"Whuvevs brah. Ur not gon change our mindz with ur political corectness. Now go back to your online petition to change the color of Elsa's dress."

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/bc/d3/d9/bcd3d9954a735b485be27e7d7b4fb48f.jpg
"Leave my boyfriend alone. You guys are patriarchal douches. An ford the record, Elsa's dress would be red instead of pastel blue if it wasn't for the system's need to serve men's sexual fantasies."

:o

This is perfect!

Written By: 2001 on 05/04/16 at 3:57 pm

@Infinity -  ;D The 2020s: when the 2000s and the 2010s clash in an epic showdown!

People hate SJWs but I find them interesting. They remind me a lot of 60s hippies, with their "stick it to the man" attitude and their communes. I can see people in the future having some fascination with 2010s youth culture; it's quirky to say the least.

@JordanK1982 - Sum 41 and Paramore both released an album in 2007 so they're the same era to me  8) Also, I've already consolidated all the albums you recommended in that other post into a giant playlist. It has 1480 songs in it  :o

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/04/16 at 4:05 pm

@Infinity -  ;D The 2020s: when the 2000s and the 2010s clash in an epic showdown!

People hate SJWs but I find them interesting. They remind me a lot of 60s hippies, with their "stick it to the man" attitude and their communes. I can see people in the future having some fascination with 2010s youth culture; it's quirky to say the least.

@JordanK1982 - Sum 41 and Paramore both released an album in 2007 so they're the same era to me  8) Also, I've already consolidated all the albums you recommended in that other post into a giant playlist. It has 1480 songs in it  :o

SJWs only stick it to the man on the internet. In real life they're a buncha wusses who can't do anything. :P

I don't! Paramore didn't even form 'til 2004. 8-P 2007, what a horrible year... What is the name of this other giant playlist of yours?

Written By: 2001 on 05/04/16 at 4:07 pm

SJWs only stick it to the man on the internet. In real life they're a buncha wusses who can't do anything. :P

I don't! Paramore didn't even form 'til 2004. 8-P 2007, what a horrible year... What is the name of this other giant playlist of yours?

Someone's never been to a socialist convention lol. How innocent :P

It's called "Jordan's List". Or are you talking about mine? "2000s rock". So original.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/04/16 at 4:10 pm

Someone's never been to a socialist convention lol. How innocent :P

It's called "Jordan's List". Or are you talking about mine? "2000s rock". So original.

Socialist convention!? No way! I am against the commies! >:(

When I saw "Jordan's List" I thought of some cool Zelda quest and then my mind went to Schindler's List.  :-\\ You should make a "real 00s" and "what-if 00s" playlist, instead. ;)

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/04/16 at 4:12 pm

I think it's obvious to say that the 2020s would probably be like the faux-2000s, but I think I'll enjoy that.

Written By: 2001 on 05/04/16 at 4:25 pm

Socialist convention!? No way! I am against the commies! >:(

When I saw "Jordan's List" I thought of some cool Zelda quest and then my mind went to Schindler's List.  :-\\ You should make a "real 00s" and "what-if 00s" playlist, instead. ;)

Then you should go to your local theatre for a play of Vagina Diaries  ;D Make sure they sell weed too :P

Naw. A lot of the bands you say are only early 2000s bands are actually mid 2000s bands as well. That's just reality :P

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/04/16 at 4:50 pm

Then you should go to your local theatre for a play of Vagina Diaries  ;D Make sure they sell weed too :P

Naw. A lot of the bands you say are only early 2000s bands are actually mid 2000s bands as well. That's just reality :P

No thank you! I don't smoke pot anymore so I'm not interested!

Um, yes, but their only good records took place before 2003/2004. I bet you think Green Day and the Offspring are mid 00s bands, too. ::)

Written By: 2001 on 05/04/16 at 4:54 pm

No thank you! I don't smoke pot anymore so I'm not interested!

Um, yes, but their only good records took place before 2003/2004. I bet you think Green Day and the Offspring are mid 00s bands, too. ::)

Their mid and late 2000s stuff is good to me to  8)

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/04/16 at 4:58 pm

http://www.reactionface.info/sites/default/files/imagecache/Node_Page/images/1289577375268.jpg

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/04/16 at 4:59 pm

Green Day was the sh*t back in the mid-late 2000s.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/04/16 at 5:01 pm

Once again:
http://www.reactionface.info/sites/default/files/imagecache/Node_Page/images/1289577375268.jpg

Written By: SpyroKev on 05/04/16 at 5:03 pm

The early 2010s, 2010-2013 were the only potential years of the decade right now to me. I completely hate the mid 2010s with a passion if I'm not counting my self development and novel. The culture is rather too detailed and dark.

Written By: 2001 on 05/04/16 at 5:04 pm

They kickstarted my teen angst  ;D We got American Idiot and Jesus of Suburbia in one album, and then Sum 41's There's No Solution and We're All To Blame came out around the same time.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/04/16 at 5:13 pm

They kickstarted my teen angst  ;D We got American Idiot and Jesus of Suburbia in one album, and then Sum 41's There's No Solution and We're All To Blame came out around the same time.

Cool.  8)

Written By: #Infinity on 05/04/16 at 10:41 pm

This is horrible! You've got Sum 41, blink-182 and other early 00s classics with... Paramore? 8-P You and Toon have awful ideas about how these things work. I'm gonna made you guys a real playlist with music from 1997-2003, the way it should be. ;)

Forget Beavis & Butthead ever existed just for a minute. No Xtreme playlist is complete without these! :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=us8OhI-OTHg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwOzbJSih4U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sT0g16_LQaQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUtnwcv-quE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6jtGjiDwIQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7rCNiiNPxA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPLEbAVjiLA

Written By: #Infinity on 05/04/16 at 10:57 pm

Well, right at this moment I am posting from my phone, while also listening to music through it from Spotify. I can't say that isn't convenient ;) But right from the get go when I first bought my smartphone, it was a huge improvement for my social life. In the early 10s there was a social media website called Foursquare. You basically go to any store, restaurant, or just about any place, and you "check in", and this communicates to your friends that you're out and about and ready to hang out. Then and there my social life improved because I was hanging out with my friends a lot more, and I was also visiting new restaurants and places.

I suppose I can understand how a site like Foursquare would be really helpful to somebody like you. Me personally, I think you don't need anything more than just a method of texting (i.e., pagers and instant messengers, both of which were popular in 1997), but to be fair, I understand that it varies by person.

I'm also a huge bike riding enthusiast, so as soon as I got my smartphone with its GPS (something that didn't exist in 1997) I started logging the distance travelled and the locations I've been too, and it showed me all the bike trails  I haven't visited right on Google Maps. I did a lot of crazy things with that GPS and a bike but I could write a whole essay on that.

It usually wasn't at all hard to come by a physical map of your hometown back in the past, although GPS is helpful to some. Still, it was a technology that existed well before the 2010s.

Another hobby of mine is language learning. It's so convenient to be able to read the news in French right on my phone when I'm sitting on the bus (and have a built in dictionary), or review my electronic flashcards, or be able to stream France 24 from my phone onto my TV via Chromecast. None of this was possible in 2007 let alone 1997.

Actually, it pretty much was. Even if iPhones or mp3 players didn't exist in the 90s, walkmans had been really popular since the 1980s, and they allowed you to listen to cassettes anywhere on the go. A ton of people would listen to foreign language tapes on their walkman in the 80s and 90s. The only significant disadvantage would be that it was more expensive back then, since you had to buy the tapes and couldn't just find free mp3's for the trip immediately. Still, from a functional standpoint, it's no less possible to learn languages on the go now than it was decades ago.

http://tvmedia.ign.com/tv/image/article/731/731095/thesimpsons-OneFish,TwoFish,Blowfish,BlueFish_1157690107.jpg

In 2007, I used to track my listening hours (how long in minutes I listened to the foreign language) with literal pen and paper. I'd take my pen and paper out of my pocket, and record the time I plugged my headphones into my iPod, and when I plug them out I'd record the time again. Now in 2016 I've written my own software that detects when my headphones are plugged into my phone, and then it asks me whether I'm listening to French or English, and detects if any media is being played, and starts counting the listening hours itself. I've actually thought about making a thread about this, how my hobbies have changed over the years/decades.

Interesting to note, though not everybody has programming skills that rival your own. I imagine it would have been perfectly possible to program something like your current app several years ago.

Exactly, all of the worst aspects of 2010s fashion are filtered to the lesbian community. In real life, I still see mostly women with floral dresses and normal, long hair, but when it comes to my dating pool, everybody is just obsessed with looking like a hipster rebel, regardless if she's butch or femme.

Homophobia was never really encouraged while I was in high school, but even during my senior year, in 2010-2011, I heard quite a fair share of gay slurs being tossed around ignorantly.

Yes, clearly the 2010s cater far better to you than the 2000s did! I don't like everything about the 2000s, but I did still strongly prefer the nature of the Internet during that decade, as well as the nature of more underground subcultures. The technology was already more than enough to keep me satisfied, yet it hadn't been sterilized to the point that everyday life had become so empty and dull. Personally, I have a lot of incredibly fond memories of growing up in the 2000s, even though it sucked that I couldn't openly address my queer identity at the time.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/04/16 at 11:06 pm

Forget Beavis & Butthead ever existed just for a minute. No Xtreme playlist is complete without these! :P

I can get behind that! 8) Though, some of the bands/songs don't sound as Xtreme! to me as these other ones from 1997:

QzUDgdZrj9c

s58H3ay_uLk

pq7YLSJVEPc

eBG7P-K-r1Y

You can fit 1997 into a 1998-2003 playlist fairly well with the right songs! 8)

Written By: #Infinity on 05/04/16 at 11:24 pm

You can fit 1997 into a 1998-2003 playlist fairly well with the right songs! 8)

I love how you can welcome songs from 1997 and even 1996, to a degree, in an Xtreme era playlist, yet anything ending with an "04" somewhere in its information is automatically contaminated! ;D Are there any rock albums even from early 2004, before American Idiot and Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge, that you genuinely enjoy?

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/04/16 at 11:30 pm

I love how you can welcome songs from 1997 and even 1996, to a degree, in an Xtreme era playlist, yet anything ending with an "04" somewhere in its information is automatically contaminated! ;D Are there any rock albums even from early 2004, before American Idiot and Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge, that you genuinely enjoy?

Hahahaha! Yeah, lemme check to see what I got...

Off the top of my head: Jimmy Eat World's Future's is pretty good (late 04 but oh well), NFG's Catalyst isn't bad (not as good as the previous two), Chronic Future's Lines in My Face is an ok Rap-Pop Punk album (the last of it's kind), Zebrahead's Waste of MFZB.

Written By: #Infinity on 05/04/16 at 11:32 pm

Hahahaha! Yeah, lemme check to see what I got...

Off the top of my head: Jimmy Eat World's Future's is pretty good (late 04 but oh well), NFG's Catalyst isn't bad (not as good as the previous two), Chronic Future's Lines in My Face is an ok Rap-Pop Punk album (the last of it's kind), Zebrahead's Waste of MFZB.

It's just too bad even bands like blink-182 were already selling out by late 2003 (though I personally really like "Feelin' This"). Also, what do you think about the Offspring's Splinter, which came out at the very end of 2003? I'm curious, because I've always considered it to be one of the group's most underrated efforts.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/04/16 at 11:37 pm

It's just too bad even bands like blink-182 were already selling out by late 2003 (though I personally really like "Feelin' This"). Also, what do you think about the Offspring's Splinter, which came out at the very end of 2003? I'm curious, because I've always considered it to be one of the group's most underrated efforts.

Yeah, it really sucked when Untitled came out. The changes were taking place from May 2003-onward but Untitled is what really kicked it off into MySpace faux-Emo mode. I like some songs off the CD, too, like GO! (for example) but most of it's really lame. I Miss You is one of their worst songs. I like Splinter a lot! Even though Ron left around early '03 (I was not a fan of that change. Their lineup was perfect with him), the album's still classic Offspring front to back. I've always seen it as Americana Part 3.

Written By: #Infinity on 05/05/16 at 4:13 am

Yeah, it really sucked when Untitled came out. The changes were taking place from May 2003-onward but Untitled is what really kicked it off into MySpace faux-Emo mode. I like some songs off the CD, too, like GO! (for example) but most of it's really lame. I Miss You is one of their worst songs. I like Splinter a lot! Even though Ron left around early '03 (I was not a fan of that change. Their lineup was perfect with him), the album's still classic Offspring front to back. I've always seen it as Americana Part 3.

The first time I heard "I Miss You," I was like, "this is blink-182?" I never personally despised the song, but it was certainly substandard compared to all of their incredible singles prior to it. "Feelin' This" (known as "Action" in Madden '03) at least had a brisk, Foo Fighters-esque drive to it, intermixed with some nifty cowbell sections. It still felt fun, lively, and Xtreme.

Splinter is a great album with some especially solid lyrics. The final track creeps me out, but the album also contains a lot of the group's most intense work. Fun fact: "Neocon" was traditionally used as the opening fight song at San Diego Chargers games back when I was in middle and high school.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/05/16 at 7:32 am

The first time I heard "I Miss You," I was like, "this is blink-182?" I never personally despised the song, but it was certainly substandard compared to all of their incredible singles prior to it. "Feelin' This" (known as "Action" in Madden '03) at least had a brisk, Foo Fighters-esque drive to it, intermixed with some nifty cowbell sections. It still felt fun, lively, and Xtreme.

Splinter is a great album with some especially solid lyrics. The final track creeps me out, but the album also contains a lot of the group's most intense work. Fun fact: "Neocon" was traditionally used as the opening fight song at San Diego Chargers games back when I was in middle and high school.

The chorus and bridge of Feeling This is the best part. Mark wrote some really good melodies for that song/album. That's another thing: one of my biggest problems with the Untitled is the lack of Mark songs; it's all Tom, Tom, Tom. Before that, from the demos to TOYPJ, they had shared an equal amount of songs on the records. Mark was always my favorite; I got into them around the time of Dammit and he was always the main singer of blink-182 in my eyes. He was much funnier, cooler and down to earth than Tom was. When I first got Untitled, I sat there waiting for an actual Mark song to come on, not just a "Mark sings a verse then Tom takes over the entire thing."

I agree! It's got a lot of good fast heavy songs like Race Against Myself and Lightening Rod which are some of my favorites. I like how Can't Get My Head Around you is a single, too. It's great! When I heard Staring at the Sun off Americana, I thought it'd make a really good single so when a similar sounding song came out in '04, I was happy to hear it. If anything, I'd call Splinter the last record of it's time before Pop Punk completely descended into faux-Emo crap. Dexter's voice still sounds good on it, too. In between that album and Rise and Fall, it sounds like it got shot real bad. If you listen to him on the recent albums, he sounds strained and it's even worse during the live shows. I saw them throughout the 90's and early 00's and they were among one of the best live acts I've ever seen. I saw some recent clips of them playing all of Smash back in 2014 and it was awful and didn't do the album justice. Neocon's a pretty cool intro, the Chargers have good taste.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/08/16 at 11:21 am

I hate the 2010s. It's really hard to look at positive aspects of the decade. The only thing I can think of is a liberal getting elected here in Canada and NDP getting elected in my province. That, and the year 2013 are the only things I like about this decade.

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/08/16 at 12:34 pm

I feel the same way. I really liked 2008-2012, but I really don't care about the period from about mid-2013 until now. 2016 has been pretty good so far, but even then I wouldn't call it great. It's just not as bad as late 2013 and 2014, and better than 2015 which was an improvement from 2014. This period has been dominated by issues such as mass shootings, the BLM movement, and now the fight for bathroom gender equality. It seems like a dark time overall, and I don't think it will get better when we get our next president. Pop-culturally, everything seems mediocre at best as far as music, movies, TV shows, and video games. The only thing good about the 2010's is the technology.

In my personal life, the mid 2010's has been a lot more stressful, especially with my job. I'm feeling overworked and underpaid.

Written By: TheKid99 on 05/09/16 at 7:38 am

I personally sort of disliked the early 2010s. Our family went through a very hard time from early 2011-early 2014. Though I have a lot of nostalgia for the music during that time, and visiting my local theme park 16 times in 2012! I  like the late electropop transition era from late 2011-March 2013. Music got better after that. 2013 has so far been the best year in music this decade. I hated most songs in 2014(Selfie or Fancy ring a bell ://) though my life was getting better, I stopped listening to pop music for a while in Fall 2014. I started listening to it in August 2015. I liked what I heard and have been listening to it since. My life took a significant downtrend in Summer 2015, got worse in early fall but by the time Late November- Early December rolled around, it got better. 2016 so far has been freaking awesome. I had high expectations for this year but it's just been great, especially since last month, been getting better and better. :) I personally hate how EVERYTHING IS A CONTROVERSY attitude that this country has been in since August 2014. Seriously, if there is no serious issue, STOP! We dont need the mob attitude I see so much nowadays on Social Media, it gets ANNOYING. I understand some of the plight of the african american people with police officers, I even supported what happened in July 2015 when some UC Police Office shot Sam Dubose for no apparent reason, Cincinnati has learned a lot since the 2001 riots and I was proud of how everyone, black and white mostly agreed what happened to Dubose was wrong. Even my republican parents agreed it was wrong and he should be jailed for it. The mid 2010s which started in September 2013 started out in a very hard state from 9/2013-12/2013 but after that it has been a significant uptrend except for a brief downtrend in Summer-Fall 2015. Mid 2010s >> Early 2010s though Politics Early 2010s > Mid 2010s.

Written By: muppethammer26 on 05/14/16 at 7:01 pm

Do you know the late 2010's is only 8 months away from today, so I could expect to see another change in culture sometime later this year. I hope there's a lot of good change that will affect the late 2010's, otherwise, the 2010's in general turns out to be a bad decade for many of us. Even myself can't wait for the 2020's to come, because I think the 2020's will be a better decade than the 2010's.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/14/16 at 7:41 pm

Do you know the late 2010's is only 8 months away from today, so I could expect to see another change in culture sometime later this year. I hope there's a lot of good change that will affect the late 2010's, otherwise, the 2010's in general turns out to be a bad decade for many of us. Even myself can't wait for the 2020's to come, because I think the 2020's will be a better decade than the 2010's.

I just can't wait for the mainstream 2000s nostalgia to happen in the 2020s. Just so that I could escape the modern bullsh*t, if the 2020s aren't that well.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/15/16 at 1:57 am

I just can't wait for the mainstream 2000s nostalgia to happen in the 2020s. Just so that I could escape the modern bullsh*t, if the 2020s aren't that well.

You don't need a 2000s nostalgia revival for you to "escape the modern bullsh!t." Why not just be into what you're into and not worry about what the little turds do or think? ???

Check for new replies or respond here...