inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Video Game Movies

Written By: 2001 on 05/14/16 at 4:35 pm

Is this becoming a trend? We had the Ratchet and Clank movie a few weeks ago, then later this year were getting Warcraft, Assassin's Creed, Angry Birds (desperate), Sly Cooper, Uncharted, Last of Us (LOL) and I'm sure there a few more I'm forgetting.

I mean, if we're going to do this, I need a Banjo Kazooie movie and a Zelda movie based on Ocarina of Time.

Subject: Re: Video Game Movies

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/14/16 at 5:36 pm

Most, if not all video game movies are bad. So I don't know why people need to care so much about them.

Written By: 2001 on 05/14/16 at 5:57 pm

Most, if not all video game movies are bad. So I don't know why people need to care so much about them.

I loved Wreck It Ralph and Tron!

Ratchet and Clank was a flop. I'm interested to see how Warcraft and Assassin's Creed turn out though.

Written By: Howard on 05/14/16 at 6:06 pm

There was also Super Mario Brothers film that was made:
http://media.iflist.com/images/titles/6882/LG_super-mario-bros-1451098892-2667.jpg

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/14/16 at 7:43 pm

I loved Wreck It Ralph and Tron!

Ratchet and Clank was a flop. I'm interested to see how Warcraft and Assassin's Creed turn out though.

Yeah, those movies were alright. But I'm talking about the video game movies that came from actual video games.

Written By: 2001 on 05/15/16 at 6:11 am

Yeah, those movies were alright. But I'm talking about the video game movies that came from actual video games.

I played Tron (for PC) in 2004, then watched the movie in 2010  ;D

Written By: Starlighter on 05/15/16 at 1:55 pm

There was also Super Mario Brothers film that was made:
http://media.iflist.com/images/titles/6882/LG_super-mario-bros-1451098892-2667.jpg

I remember when this came out.  Only saw bits and pieces of it when it aired on t.v.  Did the Daisy character come from any of the games?  I don't remember her at all. 

I played Tron (for PC) in 2004, then watched the movie in 2010  ;D

I didin't know there was a Tron video game.  Was it good?

Some other video game (not from the 2010's though) movies that were made in the past were Double Dragon, Street Fighter, the Lara Croft series, and the Silent Hill series.

Written By: Howard on 05/15/16 at 3:19 pm

I remember when this came out.  Only saw bits and pieces of it when it aired on t.v.  Did the Daisy character come from any of the games?  I don't remember her at all. 

Some other video game (not from the 2010's though) movies that were made in the past were Double Dragon, Street Fighter, the Lara Croft series, and the Silent Hill series.

I don't think so.

Written By: Howard on 05/15/16 at 3:20 pm

http://movies.inquirer.net/files/2015/05/PIX_B_Chicago_v1-e1432190994131.jpg
Pixels

Written By: 2001 on 05/15/16 at 6:38 pm

I killed a few hours with on the single player campaign. It was entertaining, but I wouldn't really buy it (it was at an Internet cafe/arcade). I believe it's based on an early 80s arcade game, now that sounds like more fun!

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/15/16 at 6:46 pm

I would love to see a trend of high-quality, well received video game movies being released, but I just don't know if the stigma can ever be overcome.

The truth is, that Super Mario Bros. movie basically made the entire video game movie genre a joke. It was so atrocious that, even after nearly 23 years, the stink still lingers.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/15/16 at 6:47 pm

I would love to see a trend of high-quality, well received video game movies being released, but I just don't know if the stigma can ever be overcome.

The truth is, that Super Mario Bros. movie basically made the entire video game movie genre a joke. It was so atrocious that, even after nearly 23 years, the stink still lingers.

Especially when people didn't care about video game movies being good ever since. It was clearly a waste of time for late 80s/early 90s kids back then.

Written By: bchris02 on 05/15/16 at 11:49 pm

Agreed. I can't think of a single video game movie offhand that was actually good.  Movie video games are also usually bad, with a few exceptions like 007 Goldeneye for the N64.  The two mediums, for whatever reason, don't cross over well.

Written By: SpyroKev on 05/16/16 at 9:37 pm

Wreck It Ralph will always be my go to. Not because its Disney, but me already knowing the familiars of it.

The Super Mario Bros movie may not be as good, but it still has charm. I can always watch it. While I respect Sony, I can imagine how worst it could have been since Sony characters have no magic aside from Crash and Spyro. Microsoft doesn't come close.

Written By: #Infinity on 05/16/16 at 10:02 pm

It's indeed pretty amazing that 23 years, there's still not a SINGLE video game movie of actual quality. You would think the tide would start to turn at least somewhat now that video games themselves are far more cinematic now than they were in 1993, so there would be more of a grounded template to work off of.

With the Super Mario Bros. movie, there was hardly much of an interesting plot in the first place, so the writers were forced to take several liberties with the film, centering around an edgy dystopian alternate universe featuring evolved dinosaurs and basing the protagonists' home world on Brooklyn and not the Mushroom Kingdom. The film actually does have a decent cult following, but it also spat all over the expectations of eager fans. It leaned largely on standard action film tropes while contriving several tepid references to the original franchise, and the result was an underwhelming mess for most.

Sadly, it really now seems as though movies based on video games are cash grabs by their very nature. Either the production crew is forced to strike a precarious balance between source faithfulness and present day trends, or they practically assume the video game's original story will translate most directly to the big screen, without putting the time and thought to match up to the real heavyweights of action films.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/16/16 at 10:16 pm

The Super Mario Bros. movie is one of the worst movies I've ever seen. It's one of those movies that are really boring and have nothing else going for it. Some movies are so bad that they're good but not this one. Well, it had one good thing going for it and it's Samantha Mathis.

http://i30.tinypic.com/2mg1hew.jpg

She was super cute in this movie. I had the hugest crush on her when I was a kid. :D

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/16/16 at 10:25 pm

It's indeed pretty amazing that 23 years, there's still not a SINGLE video game movie of actual quality. You would think the tide would start to turn at least somewhat now that video games themselves are far more cinematic now than they were in 1993, so there would be more of a grounded template to work off of.

With the Super Mario Bros. movie, there was hardly much of an interesting plot in the first place, so the writers were forced to take several liberties with the film, centering around an edgy dystopian alternate universe featuring evolved dinosaurs and basing the protagonists' home world on Brooklyn and not the Mushroom Kingdom. The film actually does have a decent cult following, but it also spat all over the expectations of eager fans. It leaned largely on standard action film tropes while contriving several tepid references to the original franchise, and the result was an underwhelming mess for most.

Sadly, it really now seems as though movies based on video games are cash grabs by their very nature. Either the production crew is forced to strike a precarious balance between source faithfulness and present day trends, or they practically assume the video game's original story will translate most directly to the big screen, without putting the time and thought to match up to the real heavyweights of action films.

My theory on the reason why the Super Mario Bros. movie had such a negative impact on future video game movies is the timing of it's release. In the early '90s, the whole concept of the "video game movie" was in it's infancy. In fact, if you don't count The Wizard as a video game movie (which I don't), then Super Mario Bros. was very likely the first movie within that genre that you'd ever seen in 1993. That's why the stigma is so strong. It'd be like if the first mega-popular rock song had been Nookie by Limp Bizkit, or Rockstar by Nickelback. 8-P

Of course, the stream of largely equally crappy video game movies that followed didn't help matters either. The Street Fighter movie was terrible, Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within is one of the biggest flops in film history, and that Doom movie starring The Rock is just about as bad as SMB.

Written By: Howard on 05/17/16 at 2:38 pm

Are there any plans of producing a Donkey Kong film? ???

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/19/16 at 6:15 pm

I think with today's CG technology they could make a good Super Mario Bros. movie. I think they can make a good Legend of Zelda film if it looks like the Lord of the Rings.

Written By: musicguy93 on 05/19/16 at 10:59 pm

I honestly don't think video game movies are good idea. They haven't worked at all in the past, how could it be any different now? Heck, looking at the reviews and box office results of the Ratchet and Clank movie, it doesn't look like things have changed at all.

Written By: Howard on 05/20/16 at 7:28 am

I think with today's CG technology they could make a good Super Mario Bros. movie. I think they can make a good Legend of Zelda film if it looks like the Lord of the Rings.

What about Donkey Kong?  ???

Check for new replies or respond here...