inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Susannah Mushatt Jones, last American born in the 19th Century, dies

Written By: 2001 on 05/15/16 at 12:21 pm

Wow, the incredible things she must have seen!

The oldest known person in the world has died in New York aged 116.

Born on an Alabama farm in July 1899, Susannah Mushatt Jones was also the last living American born in the 19th Century. She lived in three centuries, through two world wars and 20 US presidencies.

An Italian woman, Emma Morano, now takes on the title of oldest person in the world, and is thought to be the last living person to have been born in the 1890s.

Ms Jones was one of 11 children. Her grandparents were slaves, her parents crop pickers.

She attended a special school for young black girls and graduated from high school in 1922.

She moved to New York to work as a nanny, where she helped to start a scholarship fund for young African-American women.

Ms Jones remained active until the end of her life, serving as a member of the tenant patrol of her nursing home until she was 106.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-36285083

Subject: Re: Susannah Mushatt Jones, last American born in the 19th Century, dies

Written By: nally on 05/15/16 at 12:22 pm

I should say so!

Subject: Re: Susannah Mushatt Jones, last American born in the 19th Century, dies

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/15/16 at 12:25 pm

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-36285083
Was she the one who President Obama recently?

Written By: 2001 on 05/15/16 at 12:27 pm

I should say so!

She grew up in a time when horse and buggy was still the common mode of transport and the Wright Brothers had not taken flight yet.  :o She also lived when most houses did not have electric lighting at home.

Was she the one who President Obama recently?

You mean met? I'm not sure about that.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/15/16 at 12:42 pm

She grew up in a time when horse and buggy was still the common mode of transport and the Wright Brothers had not taken flight yet.  :o She also lived when most houses did not have electric lighting at home.

You mean met? I'm not sure about that.
Yes I mean met, I saw footage on the news on television.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/15/16 at 12:44 pm

Let her rest in peace.

Written By: bchris02 on 05/15/16 at 1:05 pm

To think she was already in her forties when the Second World War happened is quite amazing.  Hard to believe there is only one person left on the planet who was born in the 19th century.

Written By: mqg96 on 05/15/16 at 1:30 pm

Interesting story! African American woman too! My great grandmother was also born on an Alabama farm! But in 1912 though.

Written By: #Infinity on 05/15/16 at 2:28 pm

Actually, an Italian woman named Emma Morano, born November 29, 1899, is currently still alive, thus officially making her the final person on the planet to be alive during the 19th century.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/15/16 at 2:58 pm

Actually, an Italian woman named Emma Morano, born November 29, 1899, is currently still alive, thus officially making her the final person on the planet to be alive during the 19th century.

Holy f*ck, she's the only person who was alive in the 19th century now?! Damn, now it doesn't seem special for me to look at the oldest people living anymore.

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/15/16 at 5:00 pm

Interesting story! African American woman too!

You know what they say, "Black don't crack".  ;D

My great grandmother was also born on an Alabama farm! But in 1912 though.

My Dad was born in 1907 and could remember where he was when WWI broke out.  8)

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/15/16 at 5:01 pm

My Dad was born in 1907 and could remember where he was when WWI broke out.  8)

That's fascinating for your family.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/15/16 at 5:29 pm

Indeed. Just for context, this woman was...

*2 years old when President William McKinley was assassinated in 1901
*13 years old when the Titanic sank in 1912.
*18 years old when the United States entered World War I in 1917.
*30 years old when the Stock Market Crash of 1929 occurred.
*42 years old when Pearl Harbor was attacked in 1941.
*56 years old when Rosa Parks refused to give up her seat on the bus in 1955.
*64 years old when President John F. Kennedy was assassinated in 1963.
*90 years old when the Berlin Wall came down in 1989.
*102 years old on September 11, 2001.

On the flip side, when she was born in 1899 it had been...

*Only 34 years since the end of the Civil War, and the assassination of President Abraham Lincoln, in 1865.
*Only 47 years since the publication of Uncle Tom's Cabin in 1852.
*Only 98 years since the inauguration of Thomas Jefferson as President in 1801.

Written By: 2001 on 05/15/16 at 6:32 pm

*Only 34 years since the end of the Civil War, and the assassination of President Abraham Lincoln, in 1865.

That's all crazy! She lived in a completely different world. She's African American too, so she went from living in Alabama when segregation and lynching were still a thing, to voting for the first black president :o

Correct! That's why I sneaked in "American" in the thread title.  ;)

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/15/16 at 6:43 pm

That's all crazy! She lived in a completely different world. She's African American too, so she went from living in Alabama when segregation and lynching were still a thing, to voting for the first black president :o

Not to mention that the rise of the KKK happened in her early adulthood, thanks to D.W. Griffith's A Birth of a Nation. Although, it must've been terrifying living as an African-American in the South.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/15/16 at 6:56 pm

I was just thinking about the fact that the article mentions that her grandparents were former slaves. If they were still alive when she was growing up in the early 1900's (which could certainly have been the case) that would mean that someone who actually knew living slaves lived long enough to cast a vote for a black man running for president. :o

Written By: 2001 on 05/15/16 at 7:06 pm

I was just thinking about the fact that the article mentions that her grandparents were former slaves. If they were still alive when she was growing up in the early 1900's (which could certainly have been the case) that would mean that someone who actually knew living slaves lived long enough to cast a vote for a black man running for president. :o

She lived in not just a completely different world, but many different worlds.  :o

If she had lived a year longer, she could have claimed to have turned 18 in an era where women still weren't allowed to vote, but could have seen the first woman president. Women born 1900-1902 will probably be able to claim that as well, if Clinton wins.

Written By: bchris02 on 05/15/16 at 11:09 pm

Truly remarkable.  To her growing up, Civil War veterans were probably just as common as WWII veterans were for me growing up.

I would be interesting to know what allows supercentenarians to live so long.  There have been many who were not healthy eaters and some even smoked cigarettes, yet still made it to 100+.  Fascinating.

Check for new replies or respond here...