inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Ghostbusters 2016

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/22/16 at 5:57 pm

I wondered if anybody here had an opinion about the new Ghostbusters movie, scheduled to be released this summer.

For those that don't know, the classic 1980's film series is being rebooted with an all-female cast. A trailer that was released on YouTube a little while back is getting bombarded with downvotes by fans of the original movie who were not impressed to say the least. Now, as seems to be the case with everything these days, the discussion about the movie has turned political. A few days ago, the "Angry Video Game Nerd" James Rolfe (an '80s kid who was a huge fan of the original) put out a video trashing the trailer, and he's now being labeled a "sexist" by some critics for not liking the new movie because of it's female cast, despite the fact that his video did not even mention the fact that the new Ghostbusters were women at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hz8X2A7wHyQ

I must say, I pretty much feel the same way as this video. I was a massive Ghostbusters fan growing up and was really disappointed that we never got to see a 3rd movie before Harold Ramis passed away, and I'd still be disappointed whether the cast of the new movie was male or female. Likewise, the reason I have no desire to see the movie also has nothing to do with the female cast. It just looks terrible. 8-P

Subject: Re: Ghostbusters 2016

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/22/16 at 7:16 pm

All remakes have been real trash so far. You see Robocop? That movie was a super lame pisstake at trying to appeal to the new generation. No thanks. Ghostbusters can have all the men or women in the world but it's not going to make it any better of a movie. As someone who also grew up with the originals, like James, I also have low hopes.

Written By: 2001 on 05/22/16 at 7:37 pm

Is this the movie that got disliked bombed on YouTube for the all-female cast? I heard YouTube will take away the dislike button because of this movie/incident.

Written By: #Infinity on 05/22/16 at 8:45 pm

I agree with James that the Ghostbusters 3 project should have been abandoned after the death of Harold Ramis. It's one thing to reboot the series with an all-female lead cast, but it sounds like this adaptation is just not handling its source material that well.

Check for new replies or respond here...