inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Are Reboots wrong?

Written By: SpyroKev on 05/24/16 at 3:42 pm

Don't get me wrong. Certain shows that were cancelled deserve second chances.

Most of the time, reboots to me in general feels wrong. Its ignoring new ideas and altering the intended ending for the show. This hit me hard once I realized the reboot of Fresh Prince being really a thing.

Subject: Re: Are Reboots wrong?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/24/16 at 3:56 pm

Considering this is a decade where tons of reboots are around, I might say so. You have pretty forgettable reboots coming out since 2013, and nobody (except for nostalgic fanboys/fangirls) wanted them to exist. Keep in mind, this is coming from the same person who likes Teen Titans Go and the 2016 PPG reboot. I'm not saying they are masterpieces, because they aren't. None of them are. They're simply cash cows that the Internet thought out to TV networks. I didn't even care if the reboots suck, because it's not like I wanted to watch it every day. Besides, there's no way in hell I'll genuinely like a show from this decade (except for We Bare Bears, House of Cards, and Last Week Tonight with John Oliver).

Written By: mqg96 on 05/24/16 at 4:32 pm

How about some of the live-action Disney movie reboots we've been having here lately? Like Alice in Wonderland, The Jungle Book, or this upcoming Beauty & the Beast movie?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/24/16 at 5:00 pm

How about some of the live-action Disney movie reboots we've been having here lately? Like Alice in Wonderland, The Jungle Book, or this upcoming Beauty & the Beast movie?

If that question is to anybody, then I suppose live-action reboots are kinda eh. They're not great. Especially the Disney ones, since they're just classic Disney movies released in live-action. It's not that much of a difference.

Written By: yelimsexa on 05/25/16 at 6:43 am

If that question is to anybody, then I suppose live-action reboots are kinda eh. They're not great. Especially the Disney ones, since they're just classic Disney movies released in live-action. It's not that much of a difference.

The thing about these is to not make them true rehashes but nice updates while preserving the classic ideas from the original films, and this has actually been going on since the early talkie era revived certain silent films. Disney was already doing this 20 years ago with 101 Dalmatians. Another big difference besides live action was the shift to a modern-day lifestyle, where the dog owner worked with computers instead of writing songs, and it was good enough that it got a sequel.  Other good reboots were the '50s revival of the b-movie The Fly, Romeo In Juliet with Leonardo DiCaprio, and many more. Not much different than rebooting a certain car, video game, the cover of an old song, or even discontinued food.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/25/16 at 9:47 am

The thing about these is to not make them true rehashes but nice updates while preserving the classic ideas from the original films, and this has actually been going on since the early talkie era revived certain silent films. Disney was already doing this 20 years ago with 101 Dalmatians. Another big difference besides live action was the shift to a modern-day lifestyle, where the dog owner worked with computers instead of writing songs, and it was good enough that it got a sequel.  Other good reboots were the '50s revival of the b-movie The Fly, Romeo In Juliet with Leonardo DiCaprio, and many more. Not much different than rebooting a certain car, video game, the cover of an old song, or even discontinued food.

Yeah, that seems understandable. I could get of how most reboots/remakes were set in the modern era, instead of the original movie's time, so that kids would understand it better. I wish people who hate most reboots would care about that, since they think everything needs to be exactly as they remember it in their days.

Written By: bchris02 on 05/25/16 at 10:13 am

The Disney live action reboots are fine to me because they distinguish themselves enough from the animated classic that they are actually worth watching, and they also usually tell the story from a more mature, complex angle than the animated classic did.  Snow White and the Huntsman was a great retelling of Snow White in my opinion.

What I dislike are reboots for nostalgia purposes that nobody asked for, like the new Fresh Prince or the new Independence Day or even worse, the new Jumanji.  Jumanji was perfect with Robin Williams and doesn't need to be remade.

Written By: 2001 on 05/25/16 at 10:17 am

I love them! :D I think people should wait and see if the reboots are good or not. Even if you're against it, you can't really hate a good show/movie.

Written By: bchris02 on 05/25/16 at 10:21 am

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Jumanji-Remake-Still-Happening-Because-Your-Childhood-Sale-90487.html

Written By: Howard on 05/25/16 at 2:57 pm

Don't get me wrong. Certain shows that were cancelled deserve second chances.

Most of the time, reboots to me in general feels wrong. Its ignoring new ideas and altering the intended ending for the show. This hit me hard once I realized the reboot of Fresh Prince being really a thing.

You need a good cast in order to get a reboot.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/25/16 at 3:31 pm

The Disney live action reboots are fine to me because they distinguish themselves enough from the animated classic that they are actually worth watching, and they also usually tell the story from a more mature, complex angle than the animated classic did.  Snow White and the Huntsman was a great retelling of Snow White in my opinion.

What I dislike are reboots for nostalgia purposes that nobody asked for, like the new Fresh Prince or the new Independence Day or even worse, the new Jumanji.  Jumanji was perfect with Robin Williams and doesn't need to be remade.

Well, I guess Disney is still making a lot of money because of that. I guess they understand that their long-time fans need something more mature, which is a good thing. As for the nostalgic reboots, I digress. As I said many times before, they shouldn't be made in the first place.

Written By: mqg96 on 05/25/16 at 3:56 pm

The Need for Speed franchise just got rebooted recently, and this is the 2015 game. But damn the graphics in this game are throwing me off. Is this real or CGI? I enjoy this user's videos, but this game is not worth buying despite the intriguing scenes on here.

N67uS9AT4YQ

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/25/16 at 4:00 pm

The Need for Speed franchise just got rebooted recently, and this is the 2015 game. But damn the graphics in this game are throwing me off. Is this real or CGI? I enjoy this user's videos, but this game is not worth buying despite the intriguing scenes on here.

N67uS9AT4YQ

Daaamn, is that DashieXP in that video? That guy always hilarious.  ;D

Written By: mqg96 on 05/25/16 at 4:04 pm

Daaamn, is that DashieXP in that video? That guy always hilarious.  ;D

His Mario Kart 8 videos are hilarious! and his Overwatch video was fun too!

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/25/16 at 4:06 pm

His Mario Kart 8 videos are hilarious! and his Overwatch video was fun too!

Yeah, he always seem to be funny in a lot of his videos.

Written By: SpyroKev on 06/04/16 at 9:36 am

I really enjoy The Powerful Girls reboot though. Its very fun to watch. I need my Samurai Jack 2016 now.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 06/04/16 at 9:39 am

I really enjoy The Powerful Girls reboot though. Its very fun to watch. I need my Samurai Jack 2016 now.

Heh. It's enjoyful to see another person who likes the Powerpuff Girls reboot. A lot of people that I see on the Internet hated the reboot over their nostalgia on the original show. I watched the original, and I have no problem with the differences on the reboot.

Check for new replies or respond here...