inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Peaks of music artists you miss

Written By: SpyroKev on 05/28/16 at 4:59 pm

Topic, music artists you grew up listening to.

I came to really miss the peaks of Ja Rule and Ludacris. As time progress, they just seem not into it anymore once the said artists make a comeback. Also, the artist's old distinctive sound that made them who they once were plays a role. Fairly old artists I listen to just feel lost in new beats.

One thing I noticed about certain artists, if your not lucky, you fade with your era.

Subject: Re: Peaks of artists you miss

Written By: #Infinity on 05/28/16 at 11:16 pm

Not sure if this is the appropriate sub-board for this type of thread, but I'll lay my two cents.

The Ataris were great throughout the entire Y2K era (1997-2003), even after they signed with Columbia, but then came a long period of delays and lineup changes, eventually culminating in the overly ambitious flop that was Welcome the Night in early 2007. Evidently, I chose the wrong band to grow attached to in 2004.

Lady Gaga was a breath of fresh air when she blew up in 2009, but then as the core 2010s set in, she started to fade from significance. It's a shame, because I would have originally imagined her remaining relevant on the charts well into the 2020s.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/28/16 at 11:29 pm

Not sure if this is the appropriate sub-board for this type of thread, but I'll lay my two cents.

The Ataris were great throughout the entire Y2K era (1997-2003), even after they signed with Columbia, but then came a long period of delays and lineup changes, eventually culminating in the overly ambitious flop that was Welcome the Night in early 2007. Evidently, I chose the wrong band to grow attached to in 2004.

Lady Gaga was a breath of fresh air when she blew up in 2009, but then as the core 2010s set in, she started to fade from significance. It's a shame, because I would have originally imagined her remaining relevant on the charts well into the 2020s.

Yes! Yes! You're so right! The Ataris were such a great band right through Anywhere to So Long Astoria. I've always felt that once they got to the Look Forward to Failure EP and up to So Long, they became an almost perfect blend of Emo and Pop Punk (almost rivaling the Movielife, even!). What did you think of Welcome to the Night? I thought it was pretty bland. I didn't even buy it, either. I just downloaded the whole thing and got totally bored out of my mind. I don't mind they they stray away from Pop Punk but they could of made something more enjoyable. It's not like it's one of the worst things ever, it's just bad. Middle of the road. The hooks aren't there and I feel that the songwriting is a pretty huge downgrade from their older stuff. Kris Roe was great at capturing teen angst way back when.

If there is any band where miss the peaks, it's Green Day and The Offspring. Man, have they fallen hard or what? :-\\

Written By: 80sfan on 05/29/16 at 12:22 am

Lady Gaga's hey day from 2008 to 2011/2012.

Written By: Fearsword on 05/29/16 at 5:22 am

I really enjoyed the band Fun and Gotye's brief period of popularity in 2012.

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/29/16 at 9:19 am

I look forward to Ke$ha hitting her peak, which we have not yet seen.

Written By: SpyroKev on 05/29/16 at 10:07 am

I really couldn't tell with so many sections. Its honestly confusing and some feel obscure. I'll leave it up to the mods.

Written By: #Infinity on 05/29/16 at 10:56 am

I really couldn't tell with so many sections. Its honestly confusing and some feel obscure. I'll leave it up to the mods.

It's just the type of thread that can apply to any period of time, making it most suitable to the More than a decade sub-board.

Written By: SpyroKev on 08/19/16 at 9:59 am

How could I forget Usher? He seem to have several peaks. I guarantee his last prime is sticking with the early 2010s though. Another artist I need to add is Ginuwine. Those old R&B vibes can really awaken you. Can't get enough of So Anxious and In Those Jeans. The peak of Mary J. Blige must have been nice, to. She was a bit before my time.

Change.

It can do a lot to you.

Written By: mqg96 on 08/19/16 at 11:46 am

How could I forget Usher? He seem to have several peaks. I guarantee his last prime is sticking with the early 2010s though.

OH! OH! OH! OH! OH! OH! OOOH! MY GOSH!

Damn I miss that song from 8th grade and my freshman year of HS!

It was an extremely dreamy song/vibe that got stuck in anybody's head, especially when you were at special events.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/19/16 at 8:35 pm

If there is any band where miss the peaks, it's Green Day and The Offspring. Man, have they fallen hard or what? :-\\

You ain't lying about The Offspring. Remember this horrific song from a few years ago? 8-P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAlZyajmcIM

Written By: JordanK1982 on 08/26/16 at 10:17 pm

You ain't lying about The Offspring. Remember this horrific song from a few years ago? 8-P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAlZyajmcIM

Don't remind me... 8-P

At least the newest Green Day song leads up to an album that could have a lot of promise. Fingers crossed!

Subject: Re: Peaks of music artists you miss

Written By: SpyroKev on 08/02/17 at 12:33 am

Another remembrance goes to Lil Jon. Didn't think I would miss his catch phrases back then. Haha He's still going but.. where's the Eastside Boyz? His spirit is ultimately with them.

Written By: wixness on 08/02/17 at 2:58 pm

Katy Perry - late 2000s

Beyonce - 2000s

Eminem - 2000s

Avril Lavigne - mid-2000s

Didn't really listen to each of them religiously, but that's when I think they were at their best.

Written By: Lizardmatum on 08/02/17 at 3:18 pm

Taio Cruz from late 2000's early 2010's!

Written By: HeyJealousy on 08/02/17 at 4:19 pm

Daniel Powter in 2005 or 2006, with "Bad Day". Man, that song was everywhere. Good memories though

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/03/17 at 5:56 am

Late 90's when Chumbawumba dominated the airwaves with songs like "Tubthumping".

I can't seem to find their greatest hits album though.  :-\\

Written By: JordanK1982 on 08/06/17 at 12:03 am

Late 90's when Chumbawumba dominated the airwaves with songs like "Tubthumping".

I can't seem to find their greatest hits album though.  :-\\

You'd spend money on a whole CD with only one song? :P

Written By: bchris02 on 08/06/17 at 1:26 am

Lady Gaga is the first artist that comes to mind.  I was astounded how quickly she faded from significance considering how big she was from 2009-11.  I wouldn't necessarily count her out yet.  I think she could see a comeback if she puts out a good album, much like Britney Spears did in the late '00s.  Her past two albums though have been stinkers.  Artpop was too pretentious and Joanne goes to far in the other direction in my opinion.  I think if she returned to club anthems she could see a comeback.  Club anthems are what made her a superstar and it seems that when she started moving away from that, her prominence fell.  It was clear by Artpop that she was past peak, but I think her decline began in the Born This Way era.  I would say her all time peak was around when Glee did the Lady Gaga special.

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/06/17 at 6:49 am

You'd spend money on a whole CD with only one song? :P

Their Wikipedia page lists 16 albums. If they only took their biggest hit from each one,  you'd almost have enough material for a double-disc greatest hits compilation.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/07/17 at 8:07 pm

Hopsin has peaked yet but I do miss his time around 2012 when he blew up with Ill Mind 5.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/07/17 at 8:08 pm

Lady Gaga is the first artist that comes to mind.  I was astounded how quickly she faded from significance considering how big she was from 2009-11.  I wouldn't necessarily count her out yet.  I think she could see a comeback if she puts out a good album, much like Britney Spears did in the late '00s.  Her past two albums though have been stinkers.  Artpop was too pretentious and Joanne goes to far in the other direction in my opinion.  I think if she returned to club anthems she could see a comeback. Club anthems are what made her a superstar and it seems that when she started moving away from that, her prominence fell.  It was clear by Artpop that she was past peak, but I think her decline began in the Born This Way era.  I would say her all time peak was around when Glee did the Lady Gaga special.

I don't know isn't dance club music not in style? Music these days isn't upbeat anymore and I think the reason she switched was because it wasn't in fashion. So at this point she has reached a dead end. I remember Lady Gaga was huge in 2010.

Written By: Brian06 on 08/07/17 at 8:13 pm

Destiny's Child
Beyonce
Lady Gaga
Ja Rule
Alicia Keys
Green Day
Incubus
Staind
Avril Lavigne
Ashanti
Nelly
Linkin Park
Pink
No Doubt
50 Cent
Eminem
Disturbed
The Killers

Written By: JordanK1982 on 08/07/17 at 11:08 pm

Their Wikipedia page lists 16 albums. If they only took their biggest hit from each one,  you'd almost have enough material for a double-disc greatest hits compilation.

But they only had one top 40 hit. :P

Besides, have you heard their early stuff? It's all crusty anarchist squatter protest music with no pop hooks.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 08/07/17 at 11:34 pm

I don't miss his peak, but what ever happened to Michael Buble? He was one of the biggest artists in the Early 2010s and now you don't hear of him at all.  :o

Written By: 80sfan on 08/07/17 at 11:52 pm

I don't miss his peak, but what ever happened to Michael Buble? He was one of the biggest artists in the Early 2010s and now you don't hear of him at all.  :o

His son got cancer and I think that effects his desire to be in the spotlight. I think he cares more for his family than his career now, I guess.

So his music career is on pause as of right now.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/07/17 at 11:54 pm

I don't know about other countries, but in the USA, Mariah Carey peaked in 1995/1996 with her Daydream album, add in her record making 'One Sweet Day' single. She was at her peak then. Fun time to be alive.

Written By: BornIn86 on 08/09/17 at 2:50 pm

Deftones 2000 - 2002

lMPtIhAPnn4  WPpDyIJdasg  9tmPBuSpmfA

Deftones never made it huge, huge but the White Pony era was when they were most popular.

Written By: SpyroKev on 08/23/17 at 9:33 pm

I miss G Unit.

Those beats and lyrics. They didn't try hard to capture that "G" essence and just made road trip music. Haha I guess its safe to say they were the finale of Hip Hop groups.

Written By: SpyroKev on 10/29/17 at 9:41 pm

I just realize how much I miss 50 Cent's run. Definitely the most fun in Hip Hop I got to witness. Lil Wayne was also up there. He snuck in by 04 and carried him self through the rest of 00s.

I'm biased though. He already established him self by 08.

Written By: bchris02 on 10/29/17 at 10:32 pm

I definitely agree about Lady Gaga.  I think the real problem there is that it was catchy club anthems that made her popular.  Then starting with Born This Way and going forward, she became very political and/or pretentious and alienated a lot of her core fan base.  I was a huge fan in the early days but I haven't really liked much from ARTPOP forward.  I've liked a few songs but overall, I haven't been a big fan.  I loved her first two albums.  Born This Way had a lot of great songs as well and I think it would be perceived differently had the singles been different.

Written By: BornIn86 on 10/30/17 at 8:40 am

I miss Missy back in the early to early mid 2000s. One of the few early - early mid 2000s thing I miss.

Written By: Shemp97 on 10/30/17 at 8:57 pm

I miss Kanye West, 50 Cent, Lupe Fiasco, Common, Jadakiss, Kid Cudi, and The Game. They really helped make HipHop enjoyable for both the masses and the 'heads. I also miss 2000-06 BEPs, 00's Justin Timberlake, Lady Gaga's electro period, 00's Beyoncé, 00's Rihanna, Cold Play and Gorillaz.

Their music was unbelievably catchy. They understood that beats matter in making music, and that  higher quality bitrates means for increased use of subtle instruments. Something about the riffs and cord progression just seemed more listenable.

Written By: Brian06 on 10/31/17 at 10:09 pm

Ashanti! Yes I miss Ashanti I don't care what people think! This song is very underrated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfCsPidiUQI

What happened to songs like this?  :\'(

Written By: SpyroKev on 05/22/18 at 8:51 am

I think its safe to assume I'm going to miss Kendrick's peak. Humble, DNA, LOVE and All The Stars are such accomplishments. He's ready to leave anytime he pleases with those timeless hits.

Written By: ofkx on 05/22/18 at 12:53 pm

I miss LMFAO in 2011/2012.

Written By: 90s Guy on 05/22/18 at 1:09 pm

Eminem in 2002. He was actually meaningful then.

Written By: Wobo on 05/22/18 at 2:23 pm

I would probably say Nicki Minaj or Drake's peak.

Written By: Shemp97 on 05/22/18 at 4:38 pm

Undoubtedly Kanye West from 2003-2010. Back when he was the face of conscious HipHop, making amazing beats and rapping his heart over them.

Now he's a nutty pro-trump "freethinker" that noone listens to anymore.

Written By: Dundee on 05/22/18 at 5:11 pm

I would probably say Nicki Minaj or Drake's peak.
Nicki Minaj is peaking now imo, her recent stuff she put out this year is much better than her mid-2010s dreck.

Written By: Wobo on 05/22/18 at 5:55 pm

Nicki Minaj is peaking now imo, her recent stuff she put out this year is much better than her mid-2010s dreck.

I was actually talking about her peak in the early 2010s.

Written By: SpyroKev on 05/22/18 at 9:54 pm

I was actually talking about her peak in the early 2010s.

If Nicki is in another peak, you have to hit me hard on the head to see it. Nicki was at her most definitive in the early 2010s.

Written By: piecesof93 on 05/23/18 at 12:22 am

Do you mean she's peaking in terms of quality? Because this is definitely one of the least successful eras for her lol. 

Written By: Dundee on 05/23/18 at 4:32 am

Do you mean she's peaking in terms of quality? Because this is definitely one of the least successful eras for her lol.
Well, isn't this thread talking about quality first and formost?

Also, this era of her just started, way to judge ahead lol.

Written By: SpyroKev on 05/23/18 at 10:24 am

Well, isn't this thread talking about quality first and formost?

Only if you want a complicated topic. Its pretty self explanatory to consider Nicki's peak>early 2010s.

Written By: Dundee on 05/23/18 at 11:23 am

Only if you want a complicated topic. Its pretty self explanatory to consider Nicki's peak>early 2010s.
Why would it be a complicated topic? I definitely prefer talking about peak when the artist's output is actually the greatest of their career versus inferior stuff that was the most succesful commercially.

Written By: SpyroKev on 05/23/18 at 11:46 am

Why would it be a complicated topic? I definitely prefer talking about peak when the artist's output is actually the greatest of their career versus inferior stuff that was the most succesful commercially.

Maybe I over exaggerated. In a sense though, I'm not convinced. Super Bass and Moment 4 Life are legendary. Nicki just doesn't have that hype she used to.

She's also been in to way more beefs that makes her repulsive to listen to as of today. Early 2010s had the innocent Nicki.

Written By: piecesof93 on 05/23/18 at 11:51 am

Probably because determining quality is very subjective. But I mean if you want to talk about output I'm sure OP doesn't mind. It's no big deal lol.

Written By: SpyroKev on 11/03/18 at 12:33 pm

@MrShruggie, I can definitely agree with you now, dude. Nicki was still in her peak in the mid 2010s, it finalizing by then. She was the most talked about after the release of Anaconda.

Written By: Dundee on 11/03/18 at 1:55 pm

Ehh… In the aftermath of the Queen release I can safely say "Barbie Thingz" and "Chun-Li" were flukes quality-wise and that the album definitely didn't deliver. I guess the early 2010s were her peak after all
Oh well...

Written By: SpyroKev on 11/03/18 at 4:07 pm

Ehh… In the aftermath of the Queen release I can safely say "Barbie Thingz" and "Chun-Li" were flukes quality-wise and that the album definitely didn't deliver. I guess the early 2010s were her peak after all
Oh well...

Barbie Tingz and Chun-Li are quality work but her run is overdone. She's not that same Nicki that was debut and exciting in the early 2010s. I don't listen to Cardi B but she's actually fun to listen to while Nicki is just.. Nicki.

Written By: piecesof93 on 11/03/18 at 4:26 pm

Missy Elliott
T.I.
Wayne
Game
Ciara
Usher
Kim

Written By: wixness on 11/04/18 at 2:18 pm

Pretty much everyone from or in the 2000s peaked then; 2009 at the earliest would have been when I thought they started to decline, for someone like Beyonce though. Didn't like All The Single Ladies (the last song I knew from her). I don't know about other artists though, but I did think artists started sounding crap, like with Kelly Clarkson this decade.

Written By: SpyroKev on 12/03/18 at 11:45 am

I miss The Game's peak now. I forgot about this dude while he was in my face at the same time. I wasn't legitimate a fan but I enjoyed his hits. Did I mention Outkast? I critically miss them, to.

Check for new replies or respond here...