inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Do y'all think Millennials are still the target audience for the pop culture?

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 06/10/16 at 12:09 am

A month ago I got into a debate with fellow user Infinity, and it was about the generations. She said something like "it doesn't feel like millennials are the target audience for pop culture anymore." Something like that. That got me thinking, are we still the target audience?
Now, there are gonna be a people that are going to say no, and there are others that are going to say yeah sure. I'm interested from hearing from all of you that decide to debate this topic. I'm especially interested in hearing from you that think millennial births go to 2000/2001. and those who think it ends with the late 90s births. Overall, what do you fellow users think? :o

Subject: Re: Do y'all think Millennials are still the target audience for the pop culture?

Written By: mxcrashxm on 06/10/16 at 12:20 am

I say yes, but it's almost over considering that most Millennials are over college age and they're becoming the parents making them out of the target audience. Furthermore, the school environment is almost entirely full of Plurals (Z) and within the next few years, the Centennial pop culture will be in full swing.

Even if the youngest Millennials are currently 15/16 years old, they're mostly considered on the Y/Z cusp because they have small amounts of the Millennial traits while they have huge amounts of Centennial characteristics and the fact that many of the events that defined Millennials most likely won't describe them.

Subject: Re: Do y'all think Millennials are still the target audience for the pop culture?

Written By: #Infinity on 06/10/16 at 12:34 am

I think the biggest problem is that Generation Z hasn't yet established much of an identity for itself. Depending on your perspective, either the first Gen-Z'ers just graduated from high school or are still in high school. The only real distinction between them and millennials is that they don't remember growing up in a world in which the Internet either didn't exist or was still seen as a growing, cool crowd thing. Homelanders are generally more naturally adept with smart technology and had things like YouTube and Angry Birds be a huge part of their childhoods, but currently, there's not really a distinct adult Homelander culture, since the generation still comprises strictly of kids and teens. Most likely, Homelanders will be a lot more associated with whatever major trends come into being during the 2020s, as opposed to just the usual hipster/social media status quo of this decade.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 06/10/16 at 8:12 am

Considering that there are still stuff targeted towards Millennials, I might say yeah. Those who are part of Generation Z aren't really that grown yet and most of them are still in school.

Written By: bchris02 on 06/10/16 at 11:35 am

I think the biggest problem is that Generation Z hasn't yet established much of an identity for itself. Depending on your perspective, either the first Gen-Z'ers just graduated from high school or are still in high school. The only real distinction between them and millennials is that they don't remember growing up in a world in which the Internet either didn't exist or was still seen as a growing, cool crowd thing. Homelanders are generally more naturally adept with smart technology and had things like YouTube and Angry Birds be a huge part of their childhoods, but currently, there's not really a distinct adult Homelander culture, since the generation still comprises strictly of kids and teens. Most likely, Homelanders will be a lot more associated with whatever major trends come into being during the 2020s, as opposed to just the usual hipster/social media status quo of this decade.

I have always disliked calling the Plurals "Homelanders" because its too America-centric and 9/11 did haven't the lasting impact that many thought it would at the time that Howe and Strauss named them that.  Plurals or digital natives are a better name for them.  With that said, I agree that they don't really have an identity separate from the millennials yet.

Written By: muppethammer26 on 06/10/16 at 3:24 pm

I have always disliked calling the Plurals "Homelanders" because its too America-centric and 9/11 did haven't the lasting impact that many thought it would at the time that Howe and Strauss named them that.  Plurals or digital natives are a better name for them.  With that said, I agree that they don't really have an identity separate from the millennials yet.

Plurals still don't have an identity yet, because the first plurals don't turn 18 until 2018 and it's not the 2020's yet, the decade that the adult plurals are supposed to influence the culture.

Written By: musicguy93 on 06/10/16 at 6:10 pm

I'd have to agree with everyone else that millennials (at least late millennials) are still the targeted demographic. Hipster fashion, trap rap, indie pop, and all the other styles dominating right now were initially millennial-targeted. I just hope that the younger generation ends up developing better taste, so we can have a much richer era for pop culture in the 2020s.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 06/10/16 at 7:57 pm

Plurals still don't have an identity yet, because the first plurals don't turn 18 until 2018 and it's not the 2020's yet, the decade that the adult plurals are supposed to influence the culture.

Maybe pop culture will drastically change in 2017 or 2018 just like pop culture changed dramatically in late 1998 and 1999.

Written By: 80sfan on 06/10/16 at 9:13 pm

Maybe pop culture will drastically change in 2017 or 2018 just like pop culture changed dramatically in late 1998 and 1999.

I have that feeling too.

Written By: 80sfan on 06/10/16 at 9:15 pm

The youngest Millenials are from 1996/1997. So around, 19/20 years old. So yes, today's pop culture is still targeting the Millenials!

Written By: #Infinity on 06/10/16 at 9:51 pm

By the way, congrats on your 100th karma, Eric!

Written By: Slim95 on 06/11/16 at 12:52 am

The youngest Millenials are from 1996/1997. So around, 19/20 years old. So yes, today's pop culture is still targeting the Millenials!

I read countless times millennials are born up to the year 2000.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 06/11/16 at 12:55 am

So I take it you think late 90s babies are Early Z? Interesting, everybody here is now agreeing it goes to 2000/01.....

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 06/11/16 at 12:55 am

By the way, congrats on your 100th karma, Eric!

Thanks Jacqueline. :)

Written By: musicguy93 on 06/11/16 at 1:02 am

Hopefully things will change for the better.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/11/16 at 1:20 am

Hopefully things will change for the better.

I'm crossing my fingers.

Written By: 80sfan on 06/11/16 at 2:26 am

I read countless times millennials are born up to the year 2000.

You're probably right, they change it like very two years, or whatever.  ::)

Written By: 80sfan on 06/11/16 at 2:28 am

So I take it you think late 90s babies are Early Z? Interesting, everybody here is now agreeing it goes to 2000/01.....

I don't go on here on these generation thinking threads a lot.  :(

Written By: TheKid99 on 06/11/16 at 6:53 am

I am still a person that thinks I am Z...

Late 1980-Mid 1997 Gen Y (Class of 1998-Class of 2015)
Late 1997 - Mid 2000 Gen Y/Z Cusp (Classes of 2016, 2017 and 2018)
Late 2000 - ???? Gen Z (Classes of 2019 - ???)

It seems every 18 years someone is born, a cusp between generations peaks or starts.... 1944, 1962, 1980, 1998, 2016?  :o
Silent/Baby Boomer Cusp= 1944 peak Generation starts in 1946
"Generation Jones" Cusp = 1962 peak, Generation X starts in 1964...
Generation Xiennial(Ugh what an ugly term....) Cusp = 1980 peak, Generation Y starts FULLY in 1981 or 1982.
Generation CircumMillenia (Latin word for around the Millennia) Cusp = 1998 peak, Generation Z starts with no traces of Y in Late 2000 or Class of 2019

Written By: Richbrings2life on 06/11/16 at 9:50 am

To me, I'll say the movies and some tv shows targets the millennial generation and not the music. You can look at recent movies that has core fan base of millennials young and old such as Bad neighbours 1&2, Avengers 2, Captain America civil war, Dirty grandpa, The Night Before, Creed, etc. TV shows like The Flash, Game of Thrones, Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D, Green Arrow, Empire, Love (Netflix show), and others that still caters to millennials. That's just my take on the topic.

Written By: 2001 on 06/11/16 at 9:54 am

I have two sisters born 2005 and they've been into music since about 2011/2012 or so. They like artists/bands like Justin Bieber (their first obsession), Selena Gomez, Hannah Montana (not Miley Cyrus), One Direction, Big Time Rush, Ariana Grande, Victoria Justice, Demi Levato, Taylor Swift, Katy Perry, Fifth Harmony, Shawn Mendes, Alessia Cara, Daya, Zendaya etc.

My cousin born 2000 has tastes more similar to my 2005 born sisters than she does to mine, so I consider a lot of these guys either Gen Z or Y/Z cusp.

I'd say we've been in a Y/Z Cusp of pop culture since 2012 or so.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/11/16 at 12:11 pm

Late 2000 - ???? Gen Z (Classes of 2019 - ???)

It seems every 18 years someone is born, a cusp between generations peaks or starts.... 1944, 1962, 1980, 1998, 2016?  :o
Generation Xiennial(Ugh what an ugly term....) Cusp = 1980 peak, Generation Y starts FULLY in 1981 or 1982.
Generation CircumMillenia (Latin word for around the Millennia) Cusp = 1998 peak, Generation Z starts with no traces of Y in Late 2000 or Class of 2019

There's no such thing as Y/Z cusp.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/11/16 at 12:13 pm

I have two sisters born 2005 and they've been into music since about 2011/2012 or so. They like artists/bands like Justin Bieber (their first obsession), Selena Gomez, Hannah Montana (not Miley Cyrus), One Direction, Big Time Rush, Ariana Grande, Victoria Justice, Demi Levato, Taylor Swift, Katy Perry, Fifth Harmony, Shawn Mendes, Alessia Cara, Daya, Zendaya etc.

My cousin born 2000 has tastes more similar to my 2005 born sisters than she does to mine, so I consider a lot of these guys either Gen Z or Y/Z cusp.

I'd say we've been in a Y/Z Cusp of pop culture since 2012 or so.

Again, there's no such thing as Y/Z cusp. You're either Gen Y or Gen Z. There's no in between.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 06/11/16 at 12:21 pm

Again, there's no such thing as Y/Z cusp. You're either Gen Y or Gen Z. There's no in between.

Then what if you experienced watching shows that were popular with Gen Yers, but watched shows that were popular with Gen Zers? It's why most people here would use something like Y/Z cusp to identify themselves.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/11/16 at 12:29 pm

Then what if you experienced watching shows that were popular with Gen Yers, but watched shows that were popular with Gen Zers? It's why most people here would use something like Y/Z cusp to identify themselves.

Anyone can watch any shows they like from any time period. It doesn't mean the generation you are in changes. Ther "cusp" thing is made up and not needed. No need to confuse the generations more than they already are.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 06/11/16 at 12:34 pm

Anyone can watch any shows they like from any time period. It doesn't mean the generation you are in changes. The "cusp" thing is made up and not needed. No need to confuse the generations more than they already are.

So what generation do you think 1997-2000 babies are in?

Written By: Slim95 on 06/11/16 at 12:40 pm

Millennials/Gen Y.

Written By: 2001 on 06/11/16 at 1:47 pm

I disagree. In 2012, my Generation Z sisters were into One Direction, Big Time Rush, Selena Gomez etc. and watching TV shows like Hannah Montana, Step It Up, Phineas and Ferb etc.. I on the other hand, Generaiton Y, hit legal drinking age and was dancing to dubstep and other electropop like LMFAO, Ke$ha, Lady Gaga, Katy Perry etc. and watching TV shows like Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead etc. That makes 2012 a cusp year, there was room for both Generation Y and Generation Z culture.

Artists can also be Y/Z Cusp. Katy Perry appeals to both people who are 25 and people who are 7. If you go to an elementary school, they play Katy Perry through the speakers all the time. She's a Y/Z artist since she appeals to a wide variety of age groups.

Birth years can also be cusp. It seems silly to say people born just a few months apart are of completely different generations.

1997/1998 are Y/Z cusp leaning Z. 1999/2000 are early Z, in my opinion. I used to think 1997 was Gen Y but after talking to a few I would say no. They're cool kids and I can still relate to them a lot, but it's obvious to me that my friends born 1997 and my friends born 1990 don't really have much in common; they grew up in completely different worlds, accurately fitting the definition of different cultural generation IMO.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/11/16 at 1:51 pm

I disagree. In 2012, my Generation Z sisters were into One Direction, Big Time Rush, Selena Gomez etc. and watching TV shows like Hannah Montana, Step It Up, Phineas and Ferb etc.. I on the other hand, Generaiton Y, hit legal drinking age and was dancing to dubstep and other electropop like LMFAO, Ke$ha, Lady Gaga, Katy Perry etc. and watching TV shows like Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead etc. That makes 2012 a cusp year, there was room for both Generation Y and Generation Z culture.

Artists can also be Y/Z Cusp. Katy Perry appeals to both people who are 25 and people who are 7. If you go to an elementary school, they play Katy Perry through the speakers all the time. She's a Y/Z artist since she appeals to a wide variety of age groups.

Birth years can also be cusp. It seems silly to say people born just a few months apart are of completely different generations.

Well according to researchers and online articles,there's no such thing as cusp generations. I'm glad there isn't. I'm a millennial, Gen Y as I was born in 1995. It would confuse a lot of people if you told them they were Y/Z.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 06/11/16 at 1:57 pm

Well according to researchers and online articles,there's no such thing as cusp generations. I'm glad there isn't. I'm a millennial, Gen Y as I was born in 1995. It would confuse a lot of people if you told them they were Y/Z.

But we could make up our own cusps, since these generation labels are full of bullsh*t. I mean, I don't agree with most of them anyway. They go out of wack, and people could stereotype them with the current technology. You have people born in the 80s and early 90s who are stereotyped as tech-savvy Millennials, while some people would think late 90s and early 2000s babies are tech-savvy Millennials. It could go either way, especially when I dealt with somebody who thought Millennials were 2000s/2010s kids on another forum.

Written By: 2001 on 06/11/16 at 2:13 pm

Well, let's say it's a term I invented to define things that can fit into both generations. Both me and my sisters like Katy Perry even though we're born almost 13 years apart.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/11/16 at 2:18 pm

especially when I dealt with somebody who thought Millennials were 2000s/2010s kids on another forum.

Well technically a 2000s kid is a millennial (90s born). 2010s kids are Gen Z, but you don't hear a lot about Gen Z. Everyone keeps talking about millennials these days.

Written By: musicguy93 on 06/11/16 at 2:33 pm

You can't always rely on these researchers to make accurate generational cutoffs.  I still find conflicting sources as to when Gen Z starts. Even nowadays, some sources say 1995, others say 2000 or 2001. Personally, I believe that 2000/2001 is the start. However, it's not like everything is set in stone. Overall, it seems futile to try to characterize people based on their birth date, as there will always be those who don't fit the mold (such as myself). But for the sake of argument, generational cusps do make sense. For example, while someone born in 1962 or 1963 would technically be apart of the targeted demographic around the late 70s (when culture was still mostly late boomer), they would still be young enough to be apart of pop culture through a good chunk of the 80s (assuming that pop culture generally targets those 25 and under). But it's also possible for those not apart of the "targeted demographic" (which may or may not always be accurate) to enjoy an era of pop culture too. My dad was a fan of the grunge era, even though he was already in his late 30s when it started. Which is why, as I mentioned before (and NewYorkEagle has in his comment), these generational labels don't always work.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 06/11/16 at 3:10 pm

Well technically a 2000s kid is a millennial (90s born). 2010s kids are Gen Z, but you don't hear a lot about Gen Z. Everyone keeps talking about millennials these days.

Maybe that's because most Gen Zers are under 13. I mean, nobody talks about young kids using the Internet. Unless they were mentioned as those underage kids on YouTube, who make somehow cute videos. But they aren't really a legal member of the Internet community.

Written By: #Infinity on 06/11/16 at 3:44 pm

I remember, during December 2010, while I was on winter break, visiting my cousin, born in April 2000, and he was literally able to memorize this entire video's script:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MahTKZDHXaA

Needless to say, I found it surreal to be talking with a 10-year-old who was so familiar with something that I only began using during my teens. I had seen the Tobuscus video myself beforehand, and at the time, I could hardly even imagine somebody as young as this cousin of mine being able to talk about something I still saw as a teen+ thing.

Written By: 80sfan on 06/11/16 at 3:47 pm

Wait, so what do we call those born 2002 and after? Do we call your kind the Plurals? Is that an edgy, new, band?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 06/11/16 at 3:48 pm

I remember, during December 2010, while I was on winter break, visiting my cousin, born in April 2000, and he was literally able to memorize this entire video's script:

Needless to say, I found it surreal to be talking with a 10-year-old who was so familiar with something that I only began using during my teens. I had seen the Tobuscus video myself beforehand, and at the time, I could hardly even imagine somebody as young as this cousin of mine being able to talk about something I still saw as a teen+ thing.

I remember when I was about 7-10, that I became interested over Harry Potter. I wasn't a big fan of the franchise, but I watched The Sorcerer's Stone, The Prisoner of Azkaban, and some of the first Deathly Hallows. My mom was also a big fan of the Harry Potter franchise (she also owned some of the books), and she even had my dad watch it a couple years after the final movie.

Written By: #Infinity on 06/11/16 at 3:49 pm

Wait, so what do we call those born 2002 and after? Do we call your kind the Plurals? Is that an edgy, new, band?

I say call them the wiz kids. Because I'm frankly blown away by how quickly they've grown up, not just the cousin I just mentioned, but also a few other cousins of mine. One was born in 1999, another in July 2002, and two more in late 2002. They all seem to have wisdom beyond their years, to the point I can relate to them just as much as anybody around my own age.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 06/11/16 at 3:53 pm

I say call them the wiz kids. Because I'm frankly blown away by how quickly they've grown up, not just the cousin I just mentioned, but also a few other cousins of mine. One was born in 1999, another in July 2002, and two more in late 2002. They all seem to have wisdom beyond their years, to the point I can relate to them just as much as anybody around my own age.

Maybe it's because of YouTube, and how we can look up certain stuff to relate at. I was interested into some stuff that I found on YouTube when I was a kid, and it somehow fascinated some people. My mom and dad's friends, my relatives, etc. I don't think they care about it now, since I'm not too happy about my life.

Written By: 80sfan on 06/11/16 at 3:55 pm

Interesting. But where did Plurals come from?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 06/11/16 at 3:57 pm

Interesting. But where did Plurals come from?

I think the term "Plurals" could've been rejected. I mean, there's no official generation term to call people who were born in 2002 and after. But I'll rather call them Gen Zers for now.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/11/16 at 3:59 pm

Maybe that's because most Gen Zers are under 13. I mean, nobody talks about young kids using the Internet. Unless they were mentioned as those underage kids on YouTube, who make somehow cute videos. But they aren't really a legal member of the Internet community.

Most of the music these days is supposed to target pre-teens, which are Gen Z. There should be more discussion about it.

Written By: 80sfan on 06/11/16 at 4:24 pm

I think the term "Plurals" could've been rejected. I mean, there's no official generation term to call people who were born in 2002 and after. But I'll rather call them Gen Zers for now.

To me Yers are still 1997 and before though.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/11/16 at 4:30 pm

1997 is a weird cut off. At least 2000 makes more sense because it's the new mellenium.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 06/11/16 at 4:50 pm

Late 2000 - ??? ? Gen Z (Classes of 2019 - ??? )

Late 1980 and 1981 born are the 1999 class.... and I they're considered to be the last of X. 2000 class are the VERY first millennials.
Also, Gen X starts in 1965, not 64....

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 06/11/16 at 4:54 pm

Doesn't make sense....
All 50s babies are considered boomers, all 70s babies are conisdered X, so all 90s babies should be considered millennials!

Written By: 80sfan on 06/11/16 at 5:04 pm

Doesn't make sense....
All 50s babies are considered boomers, all 70s babies are conisdered X, so all 90s babies should be considered millennials!

So when did the Millenials 'start'?

Written By: Slim95 on 06/11/16 at 5:52 pm

So when did the Millenials 'start'?

Around 1982 I believe.

Written By: 80sfan on 06/11/16 at 6:07 pm

Around 1982 I believe.

I actually agree with this.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 06/11/16 at 9:20 pm

It's just weird in general talking to kids about pop culture, especially older stuff. I have a couple younger cousins born in the '00s, and it's just bizarre to think that the shows I grew up watching (like Full House, Family Matters, Home Improvement, etc.) are as old to them as stuff like All in the Family, The Jeffersons and The Mary Tyler Moore Show were to me when I was their age. :o. Still, like you said, they seem to know those shows pretty well despite the age. Perhaps it's because re-runs have aired so often on Nick at Nite over the last few years?

Things get a little sketchy when tech comes into play, though. I showed one little cousin of mine (born in 2005) my old IBM PS/1 computer I brought at a garage sale a few years ago. The poor kid looked at me like I was showing him martian technology. I had to rather patiently explain what MS-DOS and Floppy Disks were. By the time I was finished, he was actually making fun of me for being "old" because I had to use computers like that as a kid. ;D

Written By: 2001 on 06/13/16 at 10:38 am

What makes people think that 2000 or very late 90s borns are millennial?

X Can't remember the 90s or Y2K
X Don't remember 9/11
X Don't remember Web 1.0
X Spent their childhood almost entirely post-2004.
X Didn't become teens until the 2010s; with 2000 borns not becoming 13 until 2013.
X Don't remember Bush-era politics
X Too young to know what was going on during the Great Recession except in retrospect
X First console was most likely online-enabled 7th gen consoles. Remember the screaming and swearing kids while you were on Xbox Live? It was all them.

For me, Millennial is 1981-1996, with 1980 and 1997 being half and half. Nothing wrong with being Gen Z. It feels so weird when I say I can relate to Gen Z stereotypes a lot, especially since I don't remember life before Internet (late 1996/1997 is the best I got) and always considered myself a digital native, and then late 90s people who weren't even born yet say "oh I don't feel Gen Z at all". How does that happen lol.

Written By: 2001 on 06/13/16 at 10:50 am

It's just weird in general talking to kids about pop culture, especially older stuff. I have a couple younger cousins born in the '00s, and it's just bizarre to think that the shows I grew up watching (like Full House, Family Matters, Home Improvement, etc.) are as old to them as stuff like All in the Family, The Jeffersons and The Mary Tyler Moore Show were to me when I was their age. :o. Still, like you said, they seem to know those shows pretty well despite the age. Perhaps it's because re-runs have aired so often on Nick at Nite over the last few years?

Things get a little sketchy when tech comes into play, though. I showed one little cousin of mine (born in 2005) my old IBM PS/1 computer I brought at a garage sale a few years ago. The poor kid looked at me like I was showing him martian technology. I had to rather patiently explain what MS-DOS and Floppy Disks were. By the time I was finished, he was actually making fun of me for being "old" because I had to use computers like that as a kid. ;D

Oh man, those pesky 2005 borns. My sister asked me to take her to the park, I told her that she's old enough to go by herself, I was crossing streets on my own at her age. Then she tells "that's because you didn't have any technology back then". Never mind the complete non-sequitur, I was offended that she called my childhood "no technology". I had a computer, I had Internet, I had everything  >:( What do they teach at school these days.

MS-DOS does sound pretty old though :P :P :P

Written By: TheKid99 on 06/13/16 at 12:10 pm

X Don't remember 9/11
X Don't remember Web 1.0
X Didn't become teens until the 2010s; with 2000 borns not becoming 13 until 2013.
X Too young to know what was going on during the Great Recession except in retrospect
X First console was most likely online-enabled 7th gen consoles. Remember the screaming and swearing kids while you were on Xbox Live? It was all them.

For me, Millennial is 1981-1996, with 1980 and 1997 being half and half. Nothing wrong with being Gen Z. It feels so weird when I say I can relate to Gen Z stereotypes a lot, especially since I don't remember life before Internet (late 1996/1997 is the best I got) and always considered myself a digital native, and then late 90s people who weren't even born yet say "oh I don't feel Gen Z at all". How does that happen lol.

Check marked all of them for me, except for the Great Recession, as that affected my family signficantly.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/13/16 at 1:09 pm

X Don't remember 9/11
X Don't remember Web 1.0

One doesn't need to remember 9/11 to be a millennial... That's ridiculous. Why would someone need to remember a terrorist attack? Especially for people who live outside of the U.S. Search on Google what a millennium is. 90% of the results tell you they are born until around the year 2000...  Why would 1996 be the cutoff? What a random year. 1999ers are just as much millennials as those born in 1996. Seriously most researchers say a millennial is born until around 2000, which makes a lot of sense considering the name and what a millennial is....

Written By: Baltimoreian on 06/13/16 at 2:36 pm

X Don't remember 9/11
X Don't remember Web 1.0

I could relate to most of those things. I'm not sure about not remembering Web 1.0 sites or Bush era politics, since I knew that Bush was president before Obama got elected. Maybe that's a different thing, but I don't know. I was still in my kiddy world throughout his presidency, so I couldn't remember that much, but not a lot. But for the Web 1.0 era, I'm sure as hell I could remember more than one website that seemed like it was made during 1996-2003.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 06/13/16 at 2:41 pm

One doesn't need to remember 9/11 to be a millennial... That's ridiculous. Why would someone need to remember a terrorist attack? Especially for people who live outside of the U.S. Search on Google what a millennium is. 90% of the results tell you they are born until around the year 2000...  Why would 1996 be the cutoff? What a random year. 1999ers are just as much millennials as those born in 1996. Seriously most researchers say a millennial is born until around 2000, which makes a lot of sense considering the name and what a millennial is....

Well, 1996 babies could somehow remember 1999-2000, since they were about 3-4 years old at the time. I could be a hypocrite on that, since 1997 babies could also remember 2000 but barely. Also, 1996 babies were more qualified to become early 2000s kids, since a) they were in elementary school during 2001-2003, and b) they could somehow remember 9/11 despite not understanding the concept of it.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 06/13/16 at 8:38 pm

Millennial is an American thing. The generations typically talk about generations in the US unless I'm mistaken.
I also use the 1996 cutoff. I begin Millennials in 1983.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 06/13/16 at 9:00 pm

That's a good point. Even as someone born in 1987, I was only 8/9 years old when the internet really started to take off during the 1995-96 time period, myself. I technically did go my entire childhood without the internet, but just barely, as my parents officially got home access for the first time right around my 13th birthday. Really, early Millennials (like 1981-1983) are the only people in our generation that can truly claim that the internet did not have an impact on their childhood in some way.

I guess you could say that people my age "grew up" with the web in the truest sense of the phrase. We were mere toddlers during the web's early development years (1989-90), started coming into our own as kids at the same time the web did as an application (1991-95), went through those awkward preteen/adolescent years together (1996-2004), then came of age as adults just as the web finally finished maturing into it's current "2.0" status (2005-06).

MS-DOS does sound pretty old though :P :P :P

And it looks even older than it sounds. Imagine a modern day 10-year-old trying to figure out how to use this:

http://archive.org/download/msdos_shareware_fb_MDCD10.ARC/msdos_shareware_fb_MDCD10.ARC.gif

I learned a valuable lesson that day. Kids and command-lines don't mix. ;D

Written By: Baltimoreian on 06/13/16 at 9:06 pm

And it looks even older than it sounds. Imagine a modern day 10-year-old trying to figure out how to use this:

http://archive.org/download/msdos_shareware_fb_MDCD10.ARC/msdos_shareware_fb_MDCD10.ARC.gif

Eh. You could maybe get an older computer that had MS-DOS on it, so you could fulfill your nostalgic times for it. Not that it would happen overnight, but it could be there for you again someday.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/13/16 at 9:13 pm

Millennial is an American thing. The generations typically talk about generations in the US unless I'm mistaken.
I also use the 1996 cutoff. I begin Millennials in 1983.

No offense but do you realize how ethnocentric you sound now? Generations were made for Americans only??? I really hope you're joking. I even find that offensive...

Written By: Slim95 on 06/13/16 at 9:15 pm

That's a good point. Even as someone born in 1987, I was only 8/9 years old when the internet really started to take off during the 1995-96 time period, myself. I technically did go my entire childhood without the internet, but just barely, as my parents officially got home access for the first time right around my 13th birthday. Really, early Millennials (like 1981-1983) are the only people in our generation that can truly claim that the internet did not have an impact on their childhood in some way.

I guess you could say that people my age "grew up" with the web in the truest sense of the phrase. We were mere toddlers during the web's early development years (1989-90), started coming into our own as kids at the same time the web did as an application (1991-95), went through those awkward preteen/adolescent years together (1996-2004), then came of age as adults just as the web finally finished maturing into it's current "2.0" status (2005-06).

It simply doesn't make sense for 1996 to be the cutoff year. 20 year olds have more or less the same interests and attitudes as 17 year olds. 2000 is nice and simple to remember.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 06/13/16 at 9:33 pm

It simply doesn't make sense for 1996 to be the cutoff year. 20 year olds have more or less the same interests and attitudes as 17 year olds. 2000 is nice and simple to remember.

What about those who were born in 2000? I may not be a 2000 baby, but I think 2000 could've been in the same generation as 1996-1999 babies. I mean, they share similar interests as to what they liked back then. Especially when all of those mentioned were partial mid 2000s kids.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/13/16 at 9:36 pm

What about those who were born in 2000? I may not be a 2000 baby, but I think 2000 could've been in the same generation as 1996-1999 babies. I mean, they share similar interests as to what they liked back then. Especially when all of those mentioned were partial mid 2000s kids.

That's fine, 2000 and even 2001 can be included.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 06/13/16 at 9:51 pm

Eh. You could maybe get an older computer that had MS-DOS on it, so you could fulfill your nostalgic times for it. Not that it would happen overnight, but it could be there for you again someday.

Oh, I have several classic computers that run various DOS based operating systems. In addition to my IBM PS/1, I've also still got my old Commodore Amiga 500, which runs AmigaDOS, and a 1991 Packard Bell Legend that runs on MS-DOS 5.0. You could say I'm something of a collector of other people's crappy old computers. ;D

Of course, you don't need an old computer to get your command-line fix. You could just as easily use it on Windows 10 by simply bringing up the command prompt. Not that you would have any reason to want to do this, mind you.

Written By: mqg96 on 06/13/16 at 11:28 pm

Everybody born from 1994-2000 had at least 1 full elementary school year in a mid 2000's year, so I'd say 1995-1999 babies could have been into mid 2000's kid culture for at least 2-3 years.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/13/16 at 11:33 pm

Everybody born from 1994-2000 had at least 1 full elementary school year in a mid 2000's year, so I'd say 1995-1999 babies could have been into mid 2000's kid culture for at least 2-3 years.

I was born in 1995 and I consider myself an early 2000s kid for the most part. Mainly because that was the type of culture I was most into as a kid.

Written By: mqg96 on 06/13/16 at 11:40 pm

Also, to answer the question of this thread, of course, millennials are still in the target audience for pop culture, but only the late millennials/Y. We haven't been in core Y culture since the very early 2010's, and early Y culture lasted from 1999/00 up until 2004. I think for the mainstream pop culture we are currently in the transition from Y to Z, or in the Y/Z cusp boundary. Our current pop culture targets late Y and early Z. Like others have stated, the problem is that most of the Z members are still in their childhood and haven't really established a full identity yet. By the time the 2020's hit we don't know where the gaming industry, TV shows,  sports, or the music industry will be by then.

Last but not least, I've also realized this too, but on average for most people I've known over the years, their high school graduation year seems to be their absolute peak into the mainstream pop culture. 12th grade/senior year of high school and freshman year of college makes since. So in other words, middle school is usually your early years transitioning into the mainstream culture, your high school and college years are your core years in interest into the mainstream pop culture, and your few years after college are your late years transitioning out of the mainstream culture. So ages 11-25 sounds about right with age 18 being the absolute peak, and it's amazing how you subtract 10 years from age 18 you get your absolute peak childhood at age 8 (2nd & 3rd grade). Once again, everybody is different, everybody has their own beliefs. Feel free to share. I'm almost aligned with Slowpoke's opinion on the generations too. I myself am picky about 1999-2001 born's still being considered as millennials, although, I wouldn't mind 1998 barely qualifying as part of the millennial generation though.

Written By: mqg96 on 06/13/16 at 11:42 pm

I was born in 1995 and I consider myself an early 2000s kid for the most part. Mainly because that was the type of culture I was most into as a kid.

Yeah, mid 90's born's can choose rather the early 2000's or mid 2000's were more important to their childhood. As a 1996 born I consider 2002-2006 (in its entirety) to be my main peak.

Written By: violet_shy on 06/14/16 at 12:16 am

Millennials are still the target for ANYTHING so I've read ::) ;D

It's ok...my generation is left in the dark....lol

This is off topic, but is there such a thing as a generation break? I hear about it all the time but I'm not really sure what it means. I've heard of older people getting with younger ones so is that what it means? Maybe their interaction?

I'm going to marry a Millennial by the way...maybe our generation break is going to be really obvious, lol!

Written By: 2001 on 06/15/16 at 2:33 pm

The generations are strictly based off US culture. The baby boom for example, lasted from 1946 to 1964 in the United States. I doubt China or Korea were experiencing a baby boom in the 1950s. Other countries have their own generations, you can see examples here.

Also, "those born before 2001" is still a terrible definition for what a millennial is. If we go with that rule, why is someone born 1982 any more millennial than someone born 1968? They're both born before the turn of the millennium.

The Pew Research Center, where I'm sure many "researchers" work at, date the millennials to 1981-1997, which is not too different from the one I proposed. There isn't universal agreement on where generations start or end (or if they even exist), but you can group people of certain ages based on their experiences and remembering important events (such as 9/11), which tend to shape their behaviour. Being born before 2001 doesn't do anything to shape your behaviour, it is just a number on your birth certificate. Being able to remember Bush-era politics however, actually does influence behaviour, which is why millennials tend to vote Democrat. That's one behaviour influenced by birth year, life experiences and the ability to remember certain events (and not others). There are others too, such as Millennials delaying owning homes or buying cars etc. because they were affected heavily by the Great Recession. Someone born 2000 is obviously not concerned with a car loan at the moment, and we're far removed enough from the Great Recession enough that I doubt that would be the reason that they wouldn't be able to afford one.

Written By: 2001 on 06/15/16 at 2:36 pm

Millennials are still the target for ANYTHING so I've read ::) ;D

It's ok...my generation is left in the dark....lol

This is off topic, but is there such a thing as a generation break? I hear about it all the time but I'm not really sure what it means. I've heard of older people getting with younger ones so is that what it means? Maybe their interaction?

I'm going to marry a Millennial by the way...maybe our generation break is going to be really obvious, lol!

Congratulations! That's awesome! :D

Written By: 2001 on 06/15/16 at 2:46 pm

Yep, late 80s people are the last to truly remember life before the Internet completely consumed everything. At the same time though, you guys are partly "digital native", since ages 7-10 is still rather young, and most kids even nowadays are introduced to computers at the ages of 5-7 when they start learning how to read (going by my 2005 born sisters, who weren't allowed on the Internet until they were 6/7ish; the advent of the iPad might have pushed that age back a bit). But you guys still knew the world without Internet i.e. one where they teach how to use a typewriter in school, or mailing handwritten letters, or getting your cheat codes from strategy guides (:P).

The picture isn't loading  :( For what it's worth though, I've taught the basics of the UNIX command line to the 10 year olds ;D

Written By: mxcrashxm on 06/15/16 at 2:54 pm

The generations are strictly based off US culture. The baby boom for example, lasted from 1946 to 1964 in the United States. I doubt China or Korea were experiencing a baby boom in the 1950s. Other countries have their own generations, you can see examples here.

Also, "those born before 2001" is still a terrible definition for what a millennial is. If we go with that rule, why is someone born 1982 any more millennial than someone born 1968? They're both born before the turn of the millennium.

The Pew Research Center, where I'm sure many "researchers" work at, date the millennials to 1981-1997, which is not too different from the one I proposed. There isn't universal agreement on where generations start or end (or if they even exist), but you can group people of certain ages based on their experiences and remembering important events (such as 9/11), which tend to shape their behaviour. Being born before 2001 doesn't do anything to shape your behaviour, it is just a number on your birth certificate. Being able to remember Bush-era politics however, actually does influence behaviour, which is why millennials tend to vote Democrat. That's one behaviour influenced by birth year, life experiences and the ability to remember certain events (and not others). There are others too, such as Millennials delaying owning homes or buying cars etc. because they were affected heavily by the Great Recession. Someone born 2000 is obviously not concerned with a car loan at the moment, and we're far removed enough from the Great Recession enough that I doubt that would be the reason that they wouldn't be able to afford one.
Your bold statement is correct. The generations here are mainly towards the USA. If you want to know, there are actually different generation cutoffs in other countries.

For instance, I read that the Y generation in Canada spans from 1972 to 1992 while the Z group ranges from 1993 to 2011. In addition, Australia puts the Y bracket from 1980 to 1994 (That's why people like MQG and Eric are confused on which generation they are apart of since they are seeing the Aussie's Y span and not the USA's span which is from 1980/81 to 1997-2000), the Z division from 1995 to 2009 and the Alpha cohort from 2010 to today.

In the U.S., the young current generation is the Plurals as the Millennials are right now from aged 16-19 to 36 and the new generation (which is after the Centennial (Z) are just being born who are the kids of the Millennials.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/15/16 at 3:19 pm

Yep, late 80s people are the last to truly remember life before the Internet completely consumed everything. At the same time though, you guys are partly "digital native", since ages 7-10 is still rather young, and most kids even nowadays are introduced to computers at the ages of 5-7 when they start learning how to read (going by my 2005 born sisters, who weren't allowed on the Internet until they were 6/7ish; the advent of the iPad might have pushed that age back a bit). But you guys still knew the world without Internet i.e. one where they teach how to use a typewriter in school, or mailing handwritten letters, or getting your cheat codes from strategy guides (:P).

The picture isn't loading  :( For what it's worth though, I've taught the basics of the UNIX command line to the 10 year olds ;D

It isn't fair to say someone born in 1998 and 1999 isn't a mellenial. They are not that different than someone born in 1996 and 1997. Also, generations can be meant for everyone, not just the U.S. That's very ethnocentric. I don't know where you're getting 1997 from... Go on google and type the years of mellenials, first thing it will tell you is it is ul to the year 2000. Most articles are the years up to 2000, not 1997...

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 06/15/16 at 10:34 pm

Honestly.... as a 95 born myself. I'm an early and mid kid; but culturally I learn towards the early more.
I just prefer the early 00s: kid culturally, and prefer mid 00s: personal life wise.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 06/15/16 at 10:37 pm

It isn't fair to say someone born in 1998 and 1999 isn't a mellenial. They are not that different than someone born in 1996 and 1997. Also, generations can be meant for everyone, not just the U.S. That's very ethnocentric. I don't know where you're getting 1997 from... Go on google and type the years of mellenials, first thing it will tell you is it is ul to the year 2000. Most articles are the years up to 2000, not 1997...

I agree Slim. all 50s born are considered boomers, all 70s babies are considered Xers, so all 90s babies should be considered millennials.

Written By: muppethammer26 on 06/16/16 at 6:32 am

I agree Slim. all 50s born are considered boomers, all 70s babies are considered Xers, so all 90s babies should be considered millennials.

This is actually the case in odd numbered decades:

Boomers: 1946-1964 (includes everyone born in the 50's)
Gen Xers: 1965-1982 (includes everyone born in the 70's)
Millennials: 1983-2000 (includes everyone born in the 90's)

Written By: KatanaChick on 06/16/16 at 6:59 am

Depends on the pop culture. Not everything has to be teen oriented. Game of Thrones seems pretty popular among that demographic of fantasy lovers, and so do all the Marvel movies. Stuff like True Blood gets more of a female fanbase I think, and maybe younger gen Y. Freeform shows such as Stitchers and The Fosters are darker than what ABC Family used to show and have more mature themes to them and I can't see them being intended as teen programs.

Today's pop music is of course more for a Z and Y/Z cusp audience, but that's always how pop music goes. It'd be strange if no one evolved out of the phase of listening to teen idols.

I do see some desperate attempts to revive Y heyday culture with this new Harry Potter story coming out and the adult coloring books of those themes.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 06/16/16 at 11:43 am

That's true. I think, for people my age, it depends alot on what kind of circumstances you were born into. I know several guys born in 1987/88 with well-off parents that went online for the first time as a 7-year-old in 1995, while me and most of my friends, growing up in a poorer rural area, didn't start using the internet regularly until our teen years. The '90s was a varied decade in that way. Some kids (like the middle boy on Home Improvement) were sending e-mails in 1994, while others (like me) were experiencing a childhood not all that different from somebody growing up in the early '80s.

It is strange how much school has changed since the '90s, and even the '00s for that matter, especially now in the "iPad on every desk" era. During my elementary school years, most teachers did not yet have a computer in their classroom at all, so they had to schedule times to use the computer lab (usually once a week), and even then all we did was play a bunch of old-ass DOS-based educational games like Oregon Trail and Math Castle. Also, I remember being made to do stuff like write a letter to a pen-pal in another country, something that would be made totally unnecessary these days due to Skype.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 06/16/16 at 12:33 pm

That's true. I think, for people my age, it depends alot on what kind of circumstances you were born into. I know several guys born in 1987/88 with well-off parents that went online for the first time as a 7-year-old in 1995, while me and most of my friends, growing up in a poorer rural area, didn't start using the internet regularly until our teen years. The '90s was a varied decade in that way. Some kids (like the middle boy on Home Improvement) were sending e-mails in 1994, while others (like me) were experiencing a childhood not all that different from somebody growing up in the early '80s.

It is strange how much school has changed since the '90s, and even the '00s for that matter, especially now in the "iPad on every desk" era. During my elementary school years, most teachers did not yet have a computer in their classroom at all, so they had to schedule times to use the computer lab (usually once a week), and even then all we did was play a bunch of old-ass DOS-based educational games like Oregon Trail and Math Castle. Also, I remember being made to do stuff like write a letter to a pen-pal in another country, something that would be made totally unnecessary these days due to Skype.

It reminded me of something when you said that phrase. I remember when I started elementary school in late 2004, and it didn't seem so much technology was around us. There were a few classrooms that had computers, but they all had those CRT monitors. Not to mention that we had those CRT TVs with VCRs hooked up to them. I haven't visited to my elementary school for five years (one time in 2011), and I believe stuff had changed since then. I bet that they have iPads nowadays for their kids and something like that. My elementary school years are WAY technologically different than today's kids, is what I'm saying.

Written By: Sita0 on 06/16/16 at 12:51 pm

Maybe it's because of YouTube, and how we can look up certain stuff to relate at. I was interested into some stuff that I found on YouTube when I was a kid, and it somehow fascinated some people. My mom and dad's friends, my relatives, etc. I don't think they care about it now, since I'm not too happy about my life.

I mean, like, for me, I didn't have access to Youtube effectively until 2009 or so. I had the internet, but only dialup, so video-watching never happened. once I got high-speed internet I was at an age where I could understand most of what was being thrown at me ... but in my earlier years, I had the internet, but I could only use it when nobody was on the phone, like for a few minutes a day... that's, I think, a generational separator from the kids who have had iPads since birth (if you know what I mean)

Written By: muppethammer26 on 06/16/16 at 12:52 pm

It reminded me of something when you said that phrase. I remember when I started elementary school in late 2004, and it didn't seem so much technology was around us. There were a few classrooms that had computers, but they all had those CRT monitors. Not to mention that we had those CRT TVs with VCRs hooked up to them. I haven't visited to my elementary school for five years (one time in 2011), and I believe stuff had changed since then. I bet that they have iPads nowadays for their kids and something like that. My elementary school years are WAY technologically different than today's kids, is what I'm saying.

Wow, as the years pass by, technology changes all the time and eventually we are going to see stuff in the future that might look strange in today's world.

Written By: Sita0 on 06/16/16 at 1:07 pm

I could relate to most of those things. I'm not sure about not remembering Web 1.0 sites or Bush era politics, since I knew that Bush was president before Obama got elected. Maybe that's a different thing, but I don't know. I was still in my kiddy world throughout his presidency, so I couldn't remember that much, but not a lot. But for the Web 1.0 era, I'm sure as hell I could remember more than one website that seemed like it was made during 1996-2003.

I'm comtemporary with you and I'd say I remember the Bush years to some extent (the 2004 election, the war, definitely) and then I remember the recession (gas prices, people complaining about the economy) and I remember the whole 2008 election (the primaries, Barack Obama winning) although I was a kid, I obviously didn't have a full political understanding.

Written By: 80sfan on 06/16/16 at 1:27 pm

No. Yes.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 06/16/16 at 1:44 pm

No. Yes.

So, what do you mean by that?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 06/16/16 at 1:49 pm

I mean, like, for me, I didn't have access to Youtube effectively until 2009 or so. I had the internet, but only dialup, so video-watching never happened. once I got high-speed internet I was at an age where I could understand most of what was being thrown at me ... but in my earlier years, I had the internet, but I could only use it when nobody was on the phone, like for a few minutes a day... that's, I think, a generational separator from the kids who have had iPads since birth (if you know what I mean)

Yeah. It's sad for most kids nowadays that their free time is mostly playing on their iPads, since that's somehow addictive towards their generation. I could get how television, video games, or even a computer could be addictive. But tablets? They have bad feedback when touching the device, not to mention that you have to update your operating system every week or so. I'm using a Windows 10 computer (previously using Windows 7, but accidentally upgraded a few months ago), but it doesn't get a lot of updates. Even so, the updates are just security ones. It's been 9 years since the iPhone was around, and now the 10th iOS version is announced. It took Windows about 30 years to release Windows 10, and that's a VERY long time. Same with Apple, but Mac OS X was released 17 years after System 1 was around. I know that tablets are somehow faster than computers were back in the 80s and 90s, but tablets (and smartphones) are just a pain in the ass to use.

Written By: 80sfan on 06/16/16 at 2:03 pm

So, what do you mean by that?

Mean, medium, and mode.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 06/16/16 at 3:15 pm

yep. and also everybody born in the 30s are considered silent generation members.

Written By: Howard on 06/16/16 at 3:53 pm

Yeah. It's sad for most kids nowadays that their free time is mostly playing on their iPads, since that's somehow addictive towards their generation.

This is the generation we live in nowadays.  ::)

Written By: violet_shy on 06/16/16 at 5:13 pm

Here's how it goes for me then:

Grandmas          Grandfathers
      |                          |
    born 1920s        born 1920s/30s----------------Silent, GI

|
                    Mom, dad
                          |
                      Born 1950s------------------Boomers
                          |
          Brother + Wife(Jen) ,        Brother,        Me + Lee,        Sister
              |            |                          |                |        |              |
          1975      1970s                1977          1980    1986---- 1984--------------------Millennials

|                                            |          |
                              |                                            |          |
                        Gen xERs                            Gen Xer    Millennial

|                                                  |                                       
                              |                                                  |                   
                              ?                                                  ?

Ok, this was TOO analytical. But I think I figured out what generations my family members belong to. I'm all set!     

Written By: mxcrashxm on 06/16/16 at 10:15 pm

Hey you guys, check out this photo regarding each generation in different countries.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/cf/80/17/cf80173afbf8eda76cc21f7a997d1da2.jpg

Written By: muppethammer26 on 06/19/16 at 2:25 pm

I think by next year or two, we should have early Gen Z influencing the pop culture, similar to how early Millennials influenced the pop culture back in the late 90's.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 06/19/16 at 9:00 pm

I think by next year or two, we should have early Gen Z influencing the pop culture, similar to how early Millennials influenced the pop culture back in the late 90's.

Maybe so. I hope they'll do something about making it better.

Written By: musicguy93 on 06/19/16 at 9:12 pm

Maybe so. I hope they'll do something about making it better.

Hopefully they will make coolness, cool again. If that makes sense. The 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, and even 00s (to a certain extent), all had their brand of coolness. But in the 2010s, it seems like being a total hipster doofus or a swagster d-bag is considered "cool".

Written By: Slim95 on 06/19/16 at 9:30 pm

Hopefully they will make coolness, cool again. If that makes sense. The 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, and even 00s (to a certain extent), all had their brand of coolness. But in the 2010s, it seems like being a total hipster doofus or a swagster d-bag is considered "cool".

Trust me, the 80s are just as cheesy as the 10s.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 06/20/16 at 12:01 am

Trust me, the 80s are just as cheesy as the 10s.

But the 80's had character and the cheesy-factor was fun. The 2010's have no substance kind of like that one awful Bad Religion album from 1998.

Written By: 2001 on 06/20/16 at 12:59 pm

yep. and also everybody born in the 30s are considered silent generation members.

Sorry, but this "every odd numbered decade is one generation" theorem really set off alarm bells in my nerdy math brain. If we follow this rule, then everyone in the 2010s is one generation, 2030s is another generation. By ending Millennials at 2000, you've preordained every generation to last 20 years or more.

Gen Z: 2001-2020
Gen Alpha: 2021-2040
Gen Beta: 2041-2060
Gen Gamma: 2061-2080
etc.

The only way this cycle breaks is if a generation lasts more than 20 years, which is obviously too long because someone could easily get married and have kids in their early 20s, creating a literal different generation. "Every odd numbered decade is the same generation" is an interesting observation, but as a theory it runs into mathematical problems. Also, the whole idea of preordaining someone born in 2043 to be in the same cultural generation as someone born in 2058 sounds like a bit much to me, nobody knows what will happen in the future.

It really has nothing to do with "faireness"  ??? What's "fair" about being considered a millennial? 1996 borns are not really the benchmark for what a millennial is, try comparing someone born 1998 to someone born 1990 and you'll start to see the difference.

Written By: 2001 on 06/20/16 at 1:11 pm

Strike that "even 00s" off. 2003-2006 was the worst time to be in middle school. John Cena, PSPs, ringtone rap, whale tails, sideway caps, popped collars, the chavs, dudebro games, MySpace, Top Gear/Pimp My Ride, Crazy Frog. The 2000s "coolness" is physically revolting.  8-P

I like the 2010s "coolness", because it isn't really "cool" as much as it is "quirky". I'm a weird person so I fit right in. Death to coolness. ;D I respect your opinion if you don't like it though. :)

But the 80's had character and the cheesy-factor was fun. The 2010's have no substance kind of like that one awful Bad Religion album from 1998.

Opinions opinions opinions :P You can't quantify substance or character.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 06/20/16 at 1:29 pm

Strike that "even 00s" off. 2003-2006 was the worst time to be in middle school. John Cena, PSPs, ringtone rap, whale tails, sideway caps, popped collars, the chavs, dudebro games, MySpace, Top Gear/Pimp My Ride, Crazy Frog. The 2000s "coolness" is physically revolting.  8-P

I like the 2010s "coolness", because it isn't really "cool" as much as it is "quirky". I'm a weird person so I fit right in. Death to coolness. ;D I respect your opinion if you don't like it though. :)

That sh*t seems WAY cool for its time. I wish we had that in the 2010s. All we have for high schoolers is social media, iPhones, terrible dank memes, GTA V, caveman Spongebob, MLG, etc. The 2010s "uncoolness" is really revolting. 8-P

Written By: SpyroKev on 06/20/16 at 1:47 pm

That sh*t seems WAY cool for its time. I wish we had that in the 2010s. All we have for high schoolers is social media, iPhones, terrible dank memes, GTA V, caveman Spongebob, MLG, etc. The 2010s "uncoolness" is really revolting. 8-P

I agree with this. I'm really sick of memes. If it wasn't for the internet, the 2010s would barely even have a culture.

Written By: 2001 on 06/20/16 at 1:50 pm

You act like we didn't have parallels for that in the mid-2000s. Social media existed then (MySpace, Friendster, Hi5, Bebo, Orkut etc.)*, annoying LOL textphone culture was very much in vogue, there were plenty of bad mid-2000s memes like Caturday and 1337 5p34k, GTA obviously got its footing in the early-mid 2000s, MLG was there too and I don't know why competitive gaming is a bad thing. I have no idea what caveman Spongebob is.

*Speaking of mid-2000s social media, I have to say it was a really awkward time for social media. Hi5 in particularly had absolutely no regulations. I know a lot of girls and guys who decided to talk to strangers and pose topless on their webcams or show their balls and have cybersex. It's still possible in the mid-2010s, but I'm sure education about online safety has significantly reduced its occurrence. In the mid-2000s, we were the very first teens to be on social media basically, there was no one to tell us what the rules were, so we made our own, and people did a lot of stupid sh*t.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 06/20/16 at 2:07 pm

You act like we didn't have parallels for that in the mid-2000s. Social media existed then (MySpace, Friendster, Hi5, Bebo, Orkut etc.)*, annoying LOL textphone culture was very much in vogue, there were plenty of bad mid-2000s memes like Caturday and 1337 5p34k, GTA obviously got its footing in the early-mid 2000s, MLG was there too and I don't know why competitive gaming is a bad thing. I have no idea what caveman Spongebob is.

What I meant by social media was MODERN social media. Like Vine, Snapchat, Instagram, Facebook (despite being popular in the mid-late 2000s), and Twitter. LOL textphone culture wasn't that bad compared to texting today, where people send in millions of emojis just for hilarity. Especially 1337 speak, where it just sounded cool. Nowadays, dank memes replace them thanks to terribly unfunny 13-14 year olds. As for GTA, it was really different compared to what it was back in the early-mid 2000s. GTA III, Vice City, San Andreas, Liberty City Stories, and Vice City Stories didn't had internet features nor most of the modern features that GTA IV and V had. By the way, caveman Spongebob is a meme that originated a few months ago from Twitter.

*Speaking of mid-2000s social media, I have to say it was a really awkward time for social media. Hi5 in particularly had absolutely no regulations. I know a lot of girls and guys who decided to talk to strangers and pose topless on their webcams or show their balls and have cybersex. It's still possible in the mid-2010s, but I'm sure education about online safety has significantly reduced its occurrence. In the mid-2000s, we were the very first teens to be on social media basically, there was no one to tell us what the rules were, so we made our own, and people did a lot of stupid sh*t.

Doesn't most social media users talk to strangers and post nude pics to them? Even in 2016, we still have that kind of stuff. I don't even think education on online safety even helped on internet nudity, since most teens wouldn't give a crap about that. Especially cyberbullying, where it's just like a hoax to most of them.

Written By: 2001 on 06/20/16 at 2:20 pm

What I meant by social media was MODERN social media. Like Vine, Snapchat, Instagram, Facebook (despite being popular in the mid-late 2000s), and Twitter. LOL textphone culture wasn't that bad compared to texting today, where people send in millions of emojis just for hilarity. Especially 1337 speak, where it just sounded cool. Nowadays, dank memes replace them thanks to terribly unfunny 13-14 year olds. As for GTA, it was really different compared to what it was back in the early-mid 2000s. GTA III, Vice City, San Andreas, Liberty City Stories, and Vice City Stories didn't had internet features nor most of the modern features that GTA IV and V had. By the way, caveman Spongebob is a meme that originated a few months ago from Twitter.

Doesn't most social media users talk to strangers and post nude pics to them? Even in 2016, we still have that kind of stuff. I don't even think education on online safety even helped on internet nudity, since most teens wouldn't give a crap about that. Especially cyberbullying, where it's just like a hoax to most of them.

IDK man. Most your complaints for the mid-2010s and simultaneous love for the mid-2000s rests largely on "it was okay then but it's not okay now", which is rather arbitrary.

I'd have to agree with you that social media for teens hasn't got much better though. I have a cousin your age and she keeps her formspring.me open to anonymous questions, even though she gets rude questions there daily. It makes no sense to me. And then she starts complaining on Twitter about how mean everyone is lol. And speaking of Twitter, "subtweet" shouldn't be a word, what a mess. My cousin "subtweets" all the time.

Written By: Howard on 06/20/16 at 2:36 pm

I agree, the 80's were better.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/20/16 at 3:30 pm

I agree with this. I'm really sick of memes. If it wasn't for the internet, the 2010s would barely even have a culture.

I bet in 20 years you will look back you will be super nostalgic for dank memes. ;D I agree, I hate the 2010s too. But I bet in the future when I look back there will be a lot to be nostalgic about.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/20/16 at 3:34 pm

Yeah exactly it's even worse today for that. Social media was actually a lot safer back in the mid 00s because it was relatively new and primitive. Now it is much easier to get naked pics leaked online for everyone to see.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 06/20/16 at 4:43 pm

Yeah exactly it's even worse today for that. Social media was actually a lot safer back in the mid 00s because it was relatively new and primitive. Now it is much easier to get naked pics leaked online for everyone to see.

Yeah. You could pretty much get naked pics from every social media source. Even on your smartphone, tablet, or whatever communications device that shows pictures.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 06/20/16 at 7:08 pm

Hey I found a quote from someone named David and it is 5 years old.

Some people use 1977 as the start date for the Millenial Generation for 3 reasons:
1. A chart on a website proves that the “Baby Bust” REALLY ended that year – 3.3 million babies were born in ’77 and 3.14 in ’76 (a difference of 160,000).
2. Those born then just came of age when the web first became available to the public in ’95, hence the term “Net Generation,” or another name for gen y.
3. Studies have shown that those born in the late ’70s have very similar attitudes to those born in the ’80s (the former also voted 66 – 32 in favor of Obama).

These could be the reasons missing on why Millennials began at 1977 back then and not 1981/82/83.

Written By: muppethammer26 on 06/20/16 at 7:29 pm

Hey I found a quote from someone named David and it is 5 years old.

These could be the reasons missing on why Millennials began at 1977 back then and not 1981/82/83.

If that's the case, then Gen X would've been the shortest generation ever at only 11 years, while the Millennial Generation would span 23 years, quite a long time for a generation.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 06/20/16 at 7:57 pm

If that's the case, then Gen X would've been the shortest generation ever at only 11 years, while the Millennial Generation would span 23 years, quite a long time for a generation.
Not exactly. I've seen Gen X being 1961/62 to 1976/77 plenty of times although for some reason that one is not widely used like it should be.

Written By: muppethammer26 on 06/20/16 at 8:13 pm

Not exactly. I've seen Gen X being 1961/62 to 1976/77 plenty of times although for some reason that one is not widely used like it should be.

I don't see Gen X having 1961-1964 that often. I have seen a lot of the generation-related articles, and most of them usually have Gen X around 1965-1981, with the Millennial Generation being around 1982-2000.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 06/20/16 at 9:09 pm

I don't see Gen X having 1961-1964 that often. I have seen a lot of the generation-related articles, and most of them usually have Gen X around 1965-1981, with the Millennial Generation being around 1982-2000.
That's because it's not used as much. Oh and within those articles, I've read comments from those part of that demographic and they have stated they are definitely  Xers and not Boomers. By using the 1961-1976 group, that's makes it 15 years anyway with 1977-1996/97 being 19 or 20. You have to keep in mind that that Generation X is actually short due to the fact that the birth rate had decreased during that entire period. It didn't pick back up again until the late 70s.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 06/20/16 at 9:40 pm

MySpace was totally nuts back in 2006. Like the Wild West or something. The whole site had something of a no rules "anything goes" mentality at the time. You had everything from old perverts trolling for victims unchecked, to nude pictures being easily accessible, to the ungodly amount of spam that would increasingly get dumped into your account's inbox on a daily basis.

I don't go on Facebook very much at all, but, despite the site's shortcomings, it seems considerably safer than MySpace was back in the old days. In fact, I'm pretty sure that MySpace's negative reputation was a big part of the reason Facebook began to overtake it as the premiere social media site during the late '00s.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 06/21/16 at 2:11 am

Opinions opinions opinions :P You can't quantify substance or character.

80's were totally better but I do agree with...

...this!

I dunno how the mid 00's are miles ahead of the 2010's or how our social media was "safer" back then.

MySpace was totally nuts back in 2006. Like the Wild West or something. The whole site had something of a no rules "anything goes" mentality at the time. You had everything from old perverts trolling for victims unchecked, to nude pictures being easily accessible, to the ungodly amount of spam that would increasingly get dumped into your account's inbox on a daily basis.

I don't go on Facebook very much at all, but, despite the site's shortcomings, it seems considerably safer than MySpace was back in the old days. In fact, I'm pretty sure that MySpace's negative reputation was a big part of the reason Facebook began to overtake it as the premiere social media site during the late '00s.

Totally. My god what an awful website. However, it's nothing compared to MakeOutClub and it's many clones. If anything was a wild west back in the early 00's, it was social media.

I agree, the 80's were better.

Much, much better. They were such an incredible decade!

Written By: Howard on 06/21/16 at 2:58 pm

Yeah. You could pretty much get naked pics from every social media source. Even on your smartphone, tablet, or whatever communications device that shows pictures.

You just gave me an idea. (just kidding!) ;D ;)

Written By: Slim95 on 06/21/16 at 3:11 pm

You just gave me an idea. (just kidding!) ;D ;)

Behave yourself Howard.  ;D

Written By: Sita0 on 06/21/16 at 11:34 pm

People have been taking naked pics since it became practical. Things of a similar nature are as old as humanity itself. It's got nothing to do with new social media. You won't get naked pics leaked if you're careful. Or if you just don't take them.

I'm not a big fan of all this complaining. Nostalgia is fun, but there's no point in kvetching about however things are today. It comes off as a grumpy-old-guy type of thing, and seems especially forced if you never had the experience of being an adult (or around at all) during another time period -- there's no perspective.

Written By: Brian06 on 06/23/16 at 2:17 am

It's generally late millennial and early z (considering pop culture targets those 10-mid 20s the most), it's right on the edge to be honest. 2016 will probably the last more millennial year. The millennials are getting older and generation z is on the cusp of coming of age, but we're not quite there yet. Obama leaving office and late '80s babies turning 30 definitely seems like the turning point to me. Along with 2000 borns turning 18, all those events will mark the emergence of the new generation of those born in this century. Soon everybody born in the '80s will be over 30 and there will be people in college that were born in the new millennium, that's when you definitely will know that a new generation is out there. I'm 29 now and I feel out of the loop lately, but I know there's people who are say 22 and still care. The older millennials are getting married now and starting families, the youngest ones are around college age. So it's a transitional time, the whole late 2010s-early 2020s will be. It's the typical cycle (like late '70s-early '80s boomer to x late '90s-early '00s x to millennial transitions).

Written By: nintieskid999 on 06/23/16 at 4:25 pm

It's generally late millennial and early z (considering pop culture targets those 10-mid 20s the most), it's right on the edge to be honest. 2016 will probably the last more millennial year. The millennials are getting older and generation z is on the cusp of coming of age, but we're not quite there yet. Obama leaving office and late '80s babies turning 30 definitely seems like the turning point to me. Along with 2000 borns turning 18, all those events will mark the emergence of the new generation of those born in this century. Soon everybody born in the '80s will be over 30 and there will be people in college that were born in the new millennium, that's when you definitely will know that a new generation is out there. I'm 29 now and I feel out of the loop lately, but I know there's people who are say 22 and still care. The older millennials are getting married now and starting families, the youngest ones are around college age. So it's a transitional time, the whole late 2010s-early 2020s will be. It's the typical cycle (like late '70s-early '80s boomer to x late '90s-early '00s x to millennial transitions).

If the last Gen Xers turned 18 in 1999, when Millennial culture exploded, then the last Millennials (people say born 2000) would turn 18 in 2018. That's when Gen Z culture will explode. We're in the equivalent of 1997.

Written By: 2001 on 06/24/16 at 9:36 pm

Yes! That's what I was thinking about  ;D I'm glad I avoided social media and stuck to chat rooms in the mid-2000s, but I still heard the horror stories from my friends.

Yeah, that was the reason I thought of on MySpace's collapse back in the late 2000s as well. Facebook was more professional and mature. MySpace was all over the place.

80's were totally better but I do agree with...

...this!

I dunno how the mid 00's are miles ahead of the 2010's or how our social media was "safer" back then.

Totally. My god what an awful website. However, it's nothing compared to MakeOutClub and it's many clones. If anything was a wild west back in the early 00's, it was social media.

Much, much better. They were such an incredible decade!

Well, what do you expect from a website called "MakeOutClub"?  ;D

Written By: Baltimoreian on 06/25/16 at 9:00 am

Yes! That's what I was thinking about  ;D I'm glad I avoided social media and stuck to chat rooms in the mid-2000s, but I still heard the horror stories from my friends.

Yeah, that was the reason I thought of on MySpace's collapse back in the late 2000s as well. Facebook was more professional and mature. MySpace was all over the place.

Well, what do you expect from a website called "MakeOutClub"?  ;D

Weren't chat rooms as wild as social media back in the mid-late 2000s? I could remember seeing a lot of weirdos on chat rooms when AIM and Yahoo Instant Messenger was still relevant. So, how are chat rooms safer than going to Myspace?

Written By: #Infinity on 06/25/16 at 9:08 am

Weren't chat rooms as wild as social media back in the mid-late 2000s? I could remember seeing a lot of weirdos on chat rooms when AIM and Yahoo Instant Messenger was still relevant. So, how are chat rooms safer than going to Myspace?

I guess it's just that chat rooms were usually more between groups of friends or general communities (as online communication should be), as opposed to being open to all Internet users across the globe, including the trolls.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 06/25/16 at 9:26 am

I guess it's just that chat rooms were usually more between groups of friends or general communities (as online communication should be), as opposed to being open to all Internet users across the globe, including the trolls.

Well yeah, but it had a lot of eccentric people disguising themselves as friendly users, so they could talk to individuals who seem curious to them.

Written By: Howard on 06/25/16 at 5:56 pm

chat rooms were great back then.

Written By: 2001 on 06/25/16 at 7:14 pm

That's true. However, it was all text (unless you video chatted with strangers), so it wasn't as graphic or memorable compared to what was going on in social media sites like Hi5 and MySpace.

chat rooms were great back then.

Ahh those were the days. There isn't much I get nostalgic for in the mid-2000s, but MSN, Habbo Hotel and other chatrooms is one of them.

https://pakistanichatroom2.files.wordpress.com/2014/11/yahoo3.jpg
http://www.koach.com/forum/uploads/monthly_02_2012/post-49-0-59004800-1329587777.jpg

Written By: Slim95 on 06/25/16 at 7:17 pm

That's true. However, it was all text (unless you video chatted with strangers), so it wasn't as graphic or memorable compared to what was going on in social media sites like Hi5 and MySpace.

Ahh those were the days. There isn't much I get nostalgic for in the mid-2000s, but MSN, Habbo Hotel and other chatrooms is one of them.

http://www.koach.com/forum/uploads/monthly_02_2012/post-49-0-59004800-1329587777.jpg

I miss Habbo Hotel. Coke Music was good too.

Written By: 2001 on 06/25/16 at 7:22 pm

I miss Habbo Hotel. Coke Music was good too.

That website is serious nostalgia ;D I still go on it sometimes, it's as fun as ever even if it's drastically less popular. I wish there was an 18+ version of it though. The site still targets teenagers, and I'm not 14 anymore, nor have much interest in chatting with other 14 year olds lol.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 06/25/16 at 7:40 pm

But couldn't you send files, especially images, on instant messaging services at the time?

Written By: 2001 on 06/25/16 at 7:53 pm

But couldn't you send files, especially images, on instant messaging services at the time?

There was definitely raucous stuff going on IM, even more racy than general social media. It was just easy for me to avoid since I didn't hang around that crowd, and you'd have to deliberately accept the files you got sent or the video chat requests to be exposed to that stuff. My main point of comparison was mid-2010s social media vs. mid-2000s social media. There isn't really anything scandalous to see on Facebook or Twitter. Hi5 and MySpace were the Wild West in comparison.

edit: Why did that "grade the decades" thread get locked. That was a super interesting topic!

In terms of 1) how much it personally interests me and 2) how much I'd like to live through it

1900s: D / F
1910s: C / F
1920s: A / A
1930s: A / F
1940s: A / F
1950s: C / F
1960s: A / B
1970s: C / C
1980s: D / F
1990s: B / A
2000s: B / D
2010s: B / A

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 06/26/16 at 2:33 pm

I'm bout to make a poll guys!! It's gonna be interesting... :o

Written By: Howard on 06/26/16 at 2:52 pm

Now I feel a bit nostalgic.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 06/26/16 at 10:23 pm

Culture became 100% Millennial around 2004 or the second half of 2003.
Before that it had some Gen X tinge.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 06/27/16 at 2:33 am

Culture became 100% Millennial around 2004 or the second half of 2003.
Before that it had some Gen X tinge.
Wait, really? I thought it was in full swing by 1999/2000. By that logic, that means the Plural culture won't be in full force until 2021.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 06/27/16 at 2:53 am

Wait, really? I thought it was in full swing by 1999/2000. By that logic, that means the Plural culture won't be in full force until 2021.

The rock culture of the time had a Gen X tinge, not so much the other genres.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 06/27/16 at 2:58 am

The rock culture of the time had a Gen X tinge, not so much the other genres.
Oh now I see. So this means Millennials pretty much never had great rock music for their pop culture. I always thought that Y2K era rock music was targeted towards Millennials since Xers had Hair Metal and Grunge.

Written By: 2001 on 06/27/16 at 8:23 am

C'mon, pop punk and other millennium-era rock strikes deep into Gen Y territory, even us early 90s babies were into that. Maybe the 90s pop punk is partly Gen X but not the early 2000s.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 06/27/16 at 10:37 am

C'mon, pop punk and other millennium-era rock strikes deep into Gen Y territory, even us early 90s babies were into that. Maybe the 90s pop punk is partly Gen X but not the early 2000s.

Totally. I consider myself to have "grown up" listening to mid-to-late '90s Pop-Punk, Post-Grunge and Britpop groups like Collective Soul, Green Day, Live, Tonic, The Offspring, Blur, Semisonic, Oasis, etc. because I can clearly remember hearing those bands played on the radio when they were popular. Frankly, I don't even think of core Grunge acts like Pearl Jam, Nirvana or STP as totally "before my time" either, since those groups were still played heavily on modern rock radio in the late '90s/early '00s, and so many popular bands during that time were still copying their sound. The most recent genre of rock that feels 100% "before my time" is Hair Metal.

And as far as "Y2K era" rock goes, I thinks that's unquestionably Gen Y territory, like you say. Sure, there were obviously some late '70s babies still into current rock in the 2000-01 school year, but, taking a glance at some of the top bands of that year (Fuel, Limp Bizkit, 3 Doors Down, Creed, Linkin Park, Lifehouse, Papa Roach, Blink 182, etc.) it's quite clear that '80s babies had become the chief demographic target by that point.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 06/27/16 at 12:55 pm

Totally. I consider myself to have "grown up" listening to mid-to-late '90s Pop-Punk, Post-Grunge and Britpop groups like Collective Soul, Green Day, Live, Tonic, The Offspring, Blur, Semisonic, Oasis, etc. because I can clearly remember hearing those bands played on the radio when they were popular. Frankly, I don't even think of core Grunge acts like Pearl Jam, Nirvana or STP as totally "before my time" either, since those groups were still played heavily on modern rock radio in the late '90s/early '00s, and so many popular bands during that time were still copying their sound. The most recent genre of rock that feels 100% "before my time" is Hair Metal.

And as far as "Y2K era" rock goes, I thinks that's unquestionably Gen Y territory, like you say. Sure, there were obviously some late '70s babies still into current rock in the 2000-01 school year, but, taking a glance at some of the top bands of that year (Fuel, Limp Bizkit, 3 Doors Down, Creed, Linkin Park, Lifehouse, Papa Roach, Blink 182, etc.) it's quite clear that '80s babies had become the chief demographic target by that point.

This times many. I was into it so much that I recall some of the most iconic songs of that time frame. Pop punk and other millennium-era rock is totally Millennial in and out.

These songs scream Y culture!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ht5RZpzPqw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emGri7i8Y2Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_jWHffIx5E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVTXPUF4Oz4

Written By: 2001 on 06/27/16 at 5:55 pm

This times many. I was into it so much that I recall some of the most iconic songs of that time frame. Pop punk and other millennium-era rock is totally Millennial in and out.

These songs scream Y culture!

As a 93er I was totally into these bands (except Smash Mouth)  :D I even knew some 94/95 kids in my neighbourhood who were into them too. It's hard to even call them "early millennial" when they could just as easily be pan-millennial.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 06/27/16 at 7:24 pm

True. Early 2000s era was the peak of Early Gen Y.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 06/27/16 at 8:54 pm

As a 93er I was totally into these bands (except Smash Mouth)  :D I even knew some 94/95 kids in my neighbourhood who were into them too.

Yea. Thanks to kidz bop, wrestling and spots game; I loved some of the bands too!

Written By: JordanK1982 on 06/27/16 at 10:15 pm

Green Day (pre-AI/Warning/nimrod depending on who you ask) and Offspring (pre-Americana) are predominately Gen X but blink-182 and Sum 41 are for us 80's babies. 8)

Your demographic, however, is more about the soft poetry of Fall Out Boy and Boys Like Girls and other crap. :P

Written By: 2001 on 06/27/16 at 10:21 pm

Green Day (pre-AI/Warning/nimrod depending on who you ask) and Offspring (pre-Americana) are predominately Gen X but blink-182 and Sum 41 are for us 80's babies. 8)

Your demographic, however, is more about the soft poetry of Fall Out Boy and Boys Like Girls and other crap. :P

Blink-182, Sum 41 and Simple Plan are for us 90s babies too >:( I was in middle school when they were pumping out albums lol.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 06/27/16 at 10:23 pm

Blink-182, Sum 41 and Simple Plan are for us 90s babies too >:( I was in middle school when they were pumping out albums lol.

Yeah, yeah, ok. You guys listened to Chuck, the Untitled and Still Not Getting Any when you were in the cafeteria but for us born in the 80's, we only listened to their good records. ;)

Written By: 2001 on 06/27/16 at 10:31 pm

Yeah, yeah, ok. You guys listened to Chuck, the Untitled and Still Not Getting Any when you were in the cafeteria but for us born in the 80's, we only listened to their good records. ;)

Fair enough...

Simple Plan was for kids though :P

Written By: JordanK1982 on 06/27/16 at 10:33 pm

Fair enough...

Simple Plan was for kids though :P

But I can't resist the melodies! Besides, I knew lots of people my age who liked them way back. Just 'cause he sings bout being a kid it means nothing. You hear the new blink song? It rules! Sounds just like 1999! Mark Hoppus still sings about being a teenager and he does it well. If Simple Plan is for kids then SR-71 must be for preschoolers. ::)

Written By: mxcrashxm on 06/27/16 at 10:39 pm

I know your post is a joke, but I definitely listened their music when it was current. I remember them like it was yesterday whether it was on the radio, MTV, and on Nickelodeon/Disney Channel.

Written By: 2001 on 06/27/16 at 10:39 pm

But I can't resist the melodies! Besides, I knew lots of people my age who liked them way back. Just 'cause he sings bout being a kid it means nothing. You hear the new blink song? It rules! Sounds just like 1999! Mark Hoppus still sings about being a teenager and he does it well. If Simple Plan is for kids then SR-71 must be for preschoolers. ::)

Haha, I'm just messin' ;D

Yes! I posted about it in the 2016: The Year In Rock thread but this forum has been dead the past few days lol. I love Rabbit Hole and Cynical :D Can't wait to get the whole album.

SR-71 has swearing tho

I know your post is a joke, but I definitely listened their music when it was current. I remember them like it was yesterday whether it was on the radio, MTV, and on Nickelodeon/Disney Channel.

Yeah, it was in 2002-03 school year when I started listening to a lot of pop punk. I was in Grade 5 though so obviously not the main target audience like people born in the 80s. Nonetheless, everyone our age knows who I'm talking about when I talk about those bands. I listed to most of it Yahoo! Music and MuchMusic (Canadian equivalent of MTV).

Written By: mxcrashxm on 06/27/16 at 10:49 pm

Yeah, it was in 2002-03 school year when I started listening to a lot of pop punk. I was in Grade 5 though so obviously not the main target audience like people born in the 80s. Nonetheless, all my friends know who I'm talking about when I talk about those bands. I listed to most of it Yahoo! Music and MuchMusic (Canadian equivalent of MTV).
Damn, you're late. I began listening to Pop-Punk in Kindergarten and from there on out, I enjoyed it.

Written By: 2001 on 06/27/16 at 11:03 pm

Damn, you're late. I began listening to Pop-Punk in Kindergarten and from there on out, I enjoyed it.

More like you're early! ;D A kindergartener listening to rock sounds dangerous. In Kindergarten I was trying to record the Disney movie songs on to my cassette tapes. Hercules soundtrack was GOAT. My asshole brother would inevitably make silly noises in the middle  >:(

Written By: mxcrashxm on 06/27/16 at 11:15 pm

More like you're early! ;D A kindergartener listening to rock sounds dangerous. In Kindergarten I was trying to record the Disney movie songs on to my cassette tapes. Hercules soundtrack was GOAT. My asshole brother would inevitably make silly noises in the middle  >:(
Well that wasn't the only genre I listened to. I was also rocking to R&B, Rap, Teen Pop, Techno and Latin Pop.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 06/28/16 at 11:07 am

That sounds really early for a kid that young. I was about 8 when I listened to pop rock.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 06/28/16 at 11:52 am

That sounds really early for a kid that young. I was about 8 when I listened to pop rock.
Well yeah, I remember it came on the radio, MTV and the kids channels. As I was rocking to Pop-Punk, I was having a good time :D

Written By: #Infinity on 06/28/16 at 12:48 pm

My sister was already totally into Britney Spears and the Backstreet Boys around the start of the millennium, at which point, she had only just turned 5.

Written By: 2001 on 06/28/16 at 5:27 pm

My sister was already totally into Britney Spears and the Backstreet Boys around the start of the millennium, at which point, she had only just turned 5.

Oh, me too ;D Well, it wouldn't be accurate to say I was into it, better to say their songs produced sound waves in my general vicinity.

I felt a bit young for rock at the age though. I wonder what bands they played on the Disney Channel.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 06/29/16 at 2:47 am

Oh, me too ;D Well, it wouldn't be accurate to say I was into it, better to say their songs produced sound waves in my general vicinity.

I felt a bit young for rock at the age though. I wonder what bands they played on the Disney Channel.

Well during the Zoog Disney era I remember seeing the boy bands on there; Backstreet, NSYNC, etc.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 06/29/16 at 6:38 am

Haha, I'm just messin' ;D

Yes! I posted about it in the 2016: The Year In Rock thread but this forum has been dead the past few days lol. I love Rabbit Hole and Cynical :D Can't wait to get the whole album.

SR-71 has swearing tho

No, I'm talking about No Future! That song sounds like it came straight off of Enema but a lot of the other songs are really good, too. Stoked to skate to it!

Take it up with the YouTube commentators and their wacky Pop Punk theories.

Not doubting that but Pop Punk was aimed at people my age when it first came out. 8)

Written By: 2001 on 06/29/16 at 1:51 pm

No, I'm talking about No Future! That song sounds like it came straight off of Enema but a lot of the other songs are really good, too. Stoked to skate to it!

Take it up with the YouTube commentators and their wacky Pop Punk theories.

Not doubting that but Pop Punk was aimed at people my age when it first came out. 8)

That one took me a few listens to get into. The lyrics are awesome though.

Did you hear Sum 41's new song?! I saw the MV and I'm thinking "oh sh*t Jordan's gonna hate this"  ;D I really liked it though, they shot the MV in Toronto too!  :D

Written By: JordanK1982 on 06/29/16 at 10:21 pm

That one took me a few listens to get into. The lyrics are awesome though.

Did you hear Sum 41's new song?! I saw the MV and I'm thinking "oh sh*t Jordan's gonna hate this"  ;D I really liked it though, they shot the MV in Toronto too!  :D

Totally! blink's doing it right! Thank god for Matt Skiba!!

Dude, that video was so dumb. Why was Cone being chased by Kim Kardashian's ass? It also sounds like Chuck which is an improvement over Screaming Bloody Murder. Still pretty lame, though. The next single better be Pop Punk like Killer-Infected or I'm not gonna like it.

Written By: Arrowstone on 06/30/16 at 9:56 am

The music I remember from my childhood in the Y2k era was all pop. I remember my sister was very into Atomic Kitten, so I know those songs as well. Also, we were into 70s/80s music like Kraftwerk, Wham, Van Halen, due to the tapes my father gave us.

I'm glad I was a teen in Europe in the '00s, musically. We had less hip hop; I can't remember something like Soula Boy at all, though 50 Cent was very popular in 2003. I remember lots of rock like Arctic Monkeys, Kaiser Chief, The Kooks, Bloc Party, and there was lot of symphonic metal, at least before 2005 (in the LOTR era). And there was no Disney Channel on tv, which I am very happy about.

As for now, I don't feel connection to the music; it's all remixes and EDM in the Top 40  8-P

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 07/01/16 at 11:16 am

Same for me, too. I didn't really start caring much about popular music until I was around 7 or 8. I was watching MTV by 4th grade, though.

In kindergarten, though, the only "rock" music I had any interest in was TMNT Coming Out of Their Shells. ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgHnwRUnT_4

Written By: Slim95 on 07/01/16 at 12:45 pm

I listened to pop music as a kindergartner. I started with Britney Spears (well not really listening, just repeating the words my sister sang) then later around grade 2 switched to Hilary Duff and then Avril Lavigne.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/03/16 at 8:41 pm

You're right, but I think it was aimed at everyone in general. That music is more like for people to have fun and not care. ;D

Written By: JordanK1982 on 07/04/16 at 6:03 am

You're right, but I think it was aimed at everyone in general. That music is more like for people to have fun and not care. ;D

I can't really agree. I mean, the songs were poppy and could be enjoyed by anyone but, on a deeper level, the stuff blink and Sum sang about were stuff guys my age related to and actually lived through during the 90's and early 00's. Those songs were the soundtracks to our teen angst situations of the time.

Written By: aja675 on 07/04/16 at 7:19 am

Personally, I've always liked music.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/04/16 at 8:21 am

I can't really agree. I mean, the songs were poppy and could be enjoyed by anyone but, on a deeper level, the stuff blink and Sum sang about were stuff guys my age related to and actually lived through during the 90's and early 00's. Those songs were the soundtracks to our teen angst situations of the time.
That's what I also mean. Yeah the songs were enjoyable, but it made people feel they were on the top of the world. ;)

Written By: Howard on 07/04/16 at 2:25 pm

Personally, I've always liked music.

I like music too.

Written By: aja675 on 07/05/16 at 9:14 am

I like music too.

I mean, I've liked music from an early age.

Check for new replies or respond here...