inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Defining themes of the mid 2010s

Written By: Catherine91UK on 06/13/16 at 2:36 pm

In the UK I think politics is probably the biggest theme of the mid 2010s as we have had several major events:

The 2014 Scottish independence referendum, where 55% voted against independence;

The surprise (and narrow) Conservative victory at the 2015 general election, bringing in the first all-Conservative government since 1997;

The fall of the Liberal Democrats and the rise of the Scottish National Party at the general election;

The surprise election of Jeremy Corbyn as the new Labour leader;

The decision to join the US-led coalition in launching air strikes on Syria;

The upcoming referendum on our membership of the EU. Whatever the outcome of the referendum, it will have a long-lasting impact on our place in Europe and the world! Personally I will be voting to stay in.

As for other themes, social media has of course become even more important than it was in the early 2010s. On the radio I have heard a lot of 90s-sounding dance songs during the mid 2010s and now there are signs of early 00s sounds returning. Music streaming is killing downloads which were still dominant in the early 2010s.

Subject: Re: Defining themes of the mid 2010s

Written By: Slim95 on 06/14/16 at 11:50 pm

Trudeau becoming Prime Minister in Canada is a defining theme here. The horrible economy is also a big thing. Those two are the main ones here.

Written By: 2001 on 06/15/16 at 2:53 pm

I agree with you on the streaming thing. The first one that came to Canada was Google Play Music in mid-2014, and I signed up the first day. Later that year we got Spotify and the next year we got Apple Music; now practically everyone has it. Before that, most people my age pirated their music.

Another technological difference is the ultrabooks. The early '10s were all about netbooks, but those worked terribly. Now we got razor-thin laptops with Retina displays and 9 hour battery life. :o

And Bluetooth headphones. There were barely any in the early '10s. In the late 2000s I tried to buy wireless headphones, but none ran on Bluetooth, it was all wireless signal from an antenna, and they all cost $300+. I bought a $50 pair of Bluetooth headphones in early 2014. They're everywhere nowadays, many phone manufacturers are talking about taking the headphone jack away to make phones thinner, relying on people to buy Bluetooth headphones to listen to their audio.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/15/16 at 3:15 pm

I agree with you on the streaming thing. The first one that came to Canada was Google Play Music in mid-2014, and I signed up the first day. Later that year we got Spotify and the next year we got Apple Music; now practically everyone has it. Before that, most people my age pirated their music.

Another technological difference is the ultrabooks. The early '10s were all about netbooks, but those worked terribly. Now we got razor-thin laptops with Retina displays and 9 hour battery life. :o

And Bluetooth headphones. There were barely any in the early '10s. In the late 2000s I tried to buy wireless headphones, but none ran on Bluetooth, it was all wireless signal from an antenna, and they all cost $300+. I bought a $50 pair of Bluetooth headphones in early 2014. They're everywhere nowadays, many phone manufacturers are talking about taking the headphone jack away to make phones thinner, relying on people to buy Bluetooth headphones to listen to their audio.

I don't use streaming. I still download my music and I know a lot of people who do because it is cheaper.

Actually there were a lot of ultrabooks in the early 10s. Netbooks were dead by then... I remember the huge amount of ultrabooks especially 2011-2012. I had the Dell XPS 12  in 2012 and early 2013 the surface pro came out. Tablets exploded in the early 10s too. Netbooks are a late 00s thing, (particularily 2008-2009), not early 10s, which by then they were dead.

Bluetooth headphones were also big in the early 10s... In fact, they were even more popular than today. I remember in 2011 people made fun of bluetooth headphones and because it looked weird that people were talking to themselves. Bluetooth headphones were a huge fad in the early 2010s.

To be honest, a lot of the teachnology that was popular in the early 10s is popular today. It's just maturing. The late 00s is a different story though. 2010 was the big year technology moved into what we have now.

Written By: 2001 on 06/15/16 at 10:02 pm

I don't use streaming. I still download my music and I know a lot of people who do because it is cheaper.

Actually there were a lot of ultrabooks in the early 10s. Netbooks were dead by then... I remember the huge amount of ultrabooks especially 2011-2012. I had the Dell XPS 12  in 2012 and early 2013 the surface pro came out. Tablets exploded in the early 10s too. Netbooks are a late 00s thing, (particularily 2008-2009), not early 10s, which by then they were dead.

Bluetooth headphones were also big in the early 10s... In fact, they were even more popular than today. I remember in 2011 people made fun of bluetooth headphones and because it looked weird that people were talking to themselves. Bluetooth headphones were a huge fad in the early 2010s.

To be honest, a lot of the teachnology that was popular in the early 10s is popular today. It's just maturing. The late 00s is a different story though. 2010 was the big year technology moved into what we have now.

Streaming is free though...  ??? Despite that, a lot of my friends do have the paid version of Spotify, $10/mo is really not a lot. It's $5/mo for student pricing too.

I bought my netbook in early 2010 when they were still using Windows 7 Starter Edition. I think they were huge around 2008-2011.

Those Bluetooth headphone/microphone combos you're talking about existed in the mid-2000s. The sound quality on them was really bad and not suited for listening to music. I'm talking about Bluetooth headphones for listening to music, which really exploded in popularity around 2014.

Another thing is the explosion in popularity of Internet TV devices like Apple TV, Roku, Chromecast. Don't remember hearing much from them in the early '10s. I bought my Chromecast in 2015, amazing little device.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 06/15/16 at 10:16 pm

I just can't wait until this decade is over with.

Written By: 80sfan on 06/15/16 at 10:27 pm

I just can't wait until this decade is over with.

You hate it that much?

Written By: nintieskid999 on 06/15/16 at 10:40 pm

You hate it that much?

Yes. I wish I had a machine to just speed through it so 2040 happens
I sometimes wish I was born in the 2020s so I wouldn't remember a bit of the 2010s.

Written By: 80sfan on 06/15/16 at 10:52 pm

Yes. I wish I had a machine to just speed through it so 2020 happens

It's not most people's favorite decade.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 06/15/16 at 10:57 pm

It's not most people's favorite decade.

Do you think the 2020s will be better?

Written By: 80sfan on 06/15/16 at 11:05 pm

In which area? Pop culture? Economy? Current events? Atmosphere? Technology? Fashion?

Written By: nintieskid999 on 06/15/16 at 11:12 pm

In which area? Pop culture? Economy? Current events? Atmosphere? Technology? Fashion?

Everything.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/15/16 at 11:15 pm

The 20s will no doubt be better. 2020 just sounds so damn cool, you know it will be an awesome year.  8)

Written By: nintieskid999 on 06/15/16 at 11:18 pm

The 20s will no doubt be better. 2020 just sounds so damn cool, you know it will be an awesome year.  8)

I like how we can call the next decade the 20s. It has a nice ring to it. Weird how it won't be the 1920s we refer to.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/15/16 at 11:19 pm

I like how we can call the next decade the 20s. It has a nice ring to it. Weird how it won't be the 1920s we refer to.

Yup, we're in a new century now.  :)

Written By: Arrowstone on 06/16/16 at 3:51 am

This is such a messy decade, like the 70s.
A major thing of the mid-10s seems to be the social unrest and polarization.
When I think back of 2013, wow, that seemed so calm.

Written By: Emman on 06/16/16 at 4:46 pm

This is such a messy decade, like the 70s.
A major thing of the mid-10s seems to be the social unrest and polarization.
When I think back of 2013, wow, that seemed so calm.

Yeah there is more unrest than anytime since the late 1960s, but I have noticed political discontent building since around 2009(with The Tea Party) but it really revved up in the later part of 2014. I think it will get even worse in the coming years, we are heading towards some kind of sociopolitical schism/watershed in the 2020s.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/16/16 at 4:51 pm

Streaming is free though...  ??? Despite that, a lot of my friends do have the paid version of Spotify, $10/mo is really not a lot. It's $5/mo for student pricing too.

Streaming can never be free... Even if you don't pay for the stream itself, you're paying with your internet data. That's why I prefer downloaded songs much more. I can listen to music without needing an internet connection.

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/18/16 at 9:01 am

Themes of the mid-10's:

- The BLM movement and the Ferguson Effect
- More mass shootings/ISIS
- Generic pop and trap music
- TV Shows like Orange is the New Black, Game of Thrones, and Empire
- PS4, Xbox One, and Wii U
- Rise of Donald Trump
- SJW culture

Written By: muppethammer26 on 06/18/16 at 11:05 am

Themes of the mid-10's:

- Rise of Donald Trump
- SJW culture

I will also add to this list:

- Ebola virus
- Zika virus
- Orlando mass shooting
- Emojis, hashtags and selfies
- Soda tax proposals
- Disappearence of G-rated films

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/18/16 at 11:10 am

Disney are still going strong with children movies,

Written By: Slim95 on 06/18/16 at 11:52 am

Themes of the mid-10's:

- Rise of Donald Trump
- SJW culture

Everyone says SJW is a theme. But really it is the backlash and hating on SJW and political correctness. That's where Donald Trump comes into play. I haven't noticed any SJWs but I have noticed people who hate them.

Written By: #Infinity on 06/18/16 at 12:07 pm

Everyone says SJW is a theme. But really it is the backlash and hating on SJW and political correctness. That's where Donald Trump comes into play. I haven't noticed any SJWs but I have noticed people who hate them.

SJW's are still a huge part of mid-2010s culture, though. If anything, the backlash didn't really become truly prominent until about the second half of 2015, but especially this year as well.

Social justice has been an overwhelming cultural theme since about spring 2013. The rebuttal could frankly turn out to be much more associated with the late 2010s, especially if it gets even worse in the coming few years.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 06/18/16 at 12:33 pm

Disney are still going strong with children movies,

Disney has always been strong with children's movies since its first feature "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs"  in the late 1930s. Although, they are making somehow groundbreaking movies like Tangled, Frozen, Inside Out, Big Hero 6, and Zootopia since the early 2010s.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/18/16 at 1:47 pm

SJW's are still a huge part of mid-2010s culture, though. If anything, the backlash didn't really become truly prominent until about the second half of 2015, but especially this year as well.

Social justice has been an overwhelming cultural theme since about spring 2013. The rebuttal could frankly turn out to be much more associated with the late 2010s, especially if it gets even worse in the coming few years.

I don't notice it. I do however notice conservatives throwing the term around and people hating on political correctness.

Written By: musicguy93 on 06/18/16 at 3:19 pm

Disney has always been strong with children's movies since its first feature "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs"  in the late 1930s. Although, they are making somehow groundbreaking movies like Tangled, Frozen, Inside Out, Big Hero 6, and Zootopia since the early 2010s.

I will give the 2010s that. The Disney movies from 2009-present are definitely better than the Disney movies from 2004-2008 (a horrible time for Disney). I still think it would be better if they would bring back hand-drawn animation, but I guess it'll take a little while longer for that to happen (possibly in the 2020s or 2030s).

Written By: musicguy93 on 06/18/16 at 3:32 pm

I don't notice it. I do however notice conservatives throwing the term around and people hating on political correctness.

It may boil down us living in completely different parts of the U.S. You may just live in a more conservative area, while me and #Infinity live in ultra PC/SJW areas of the country. I can definitely speak for myself, since I live in the Bay Area. I love the area, but there are so many people who act so robotic with their political views, that if you say something that even slightly contradicts their worldview, they consider you "the enemy". Some will even label you a "conservative", if you say something that they disagree with. It's like they don't realize that there is a huge spectrum of political beliefs, yet they seem insistent on pigeonholing everyone as "liberal" or "conservative.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/18/16 at 3:41 pm

It may boil down us living in completely different parts of the U.S. You may just live in a more conservative area, while me and #Infinity live in ultra PC/SJW areas of the country. I can definitely speak for myself, since I live in the Bay Area. I love the area, but there are so many people who act so robotic with their political views, that if you say something that even slightly contradicts their worldview, they consider you "the enemy". Some will even label you a "conservative", if you say something that they disagree with. It's like they don't realize that there is a huge spectrum of political beliefs, yet they seem insistent on pigeonholing everyone as "liberal" or "conservative.

I don't live in the U.S. I only hear this stuff online and in the news and media. Many Americans praising Trump for his un-politically correct views. I will go on record to say conservatives started all of this, not actual SJWs, if they even exist.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 06/18/16 at 4:11 pm

I will give the 2010s that. The Disney movies from 2009-present are definitely better than the Disney movies from 2004-2008 (a horrible time for Disney). I still think it would be better if they would bring back hand-drawn animation, but I guess it'll take a little while longer for that to happen (possibly in the 2020s or 2030s).

I would rather say that the mid 2000s were more prosperous for Pixar, since it was when movies like The Incredibles, Cars, Ratatouille, and Wall-E was made. The only thing I could think for 2005 on Disney was the Lilo and Stitch sequel, which was good.

Written By: musicguy93 on 06/18/16 at 4:28 pm

I don't live in the U.S. I only hear this stuff online and in the news and media. Many Americans praising Trump for his un-politically correct views. I will go on record to say conservatives started all of this, not actual SJWs, if they even exist.

Sorry, it's been a while since I've been on here. If I remember correctly, you live in Canada? Anyway, in the U.S., politics have definitely become a lot more polarized. On one hand, you have a lot of American's shifting towards the Alt. Right. On the other hand, you have a lot of people buying into the whole ultra PC/SJW movement. In my opinion, both sides are detrimental to the future of our country. Obviously, the people who support Trump are the most detrimental, but still, the SJWs want to shut down anyone, who even slightly disagrees with their world view. An example would be (I've probably already mentioned this before), Bernie Sanders getting shut down at a BLM rally:

http://time.com/3989917/black-lives-matter-protest-bernie-sanders-seattle/

And I'm sure by now, you've heard of the whole "Trigglypuff" fiasco at the University of Massachusetts. Here's the video link, in case you're curious:

BY1H1rZL53I

Written By: Howard on 06/18/16 at 5:47 pm

- Ebola virus
- Zika virus
- Orlando mass shooting
- Emojis, hashtags and selfies
- Soda tax proposals

I agree with that list.

Written By: #Infinity on 06/18/16 at 6:04 pm

And I'm sure by now, you've heard of the whole "Trigglypuff" fiasco at the University of Massachusetts. Here's the video link, in case you're curious:

BY1H1rZL53I

Well, from what I've gathered, the three presenters at that lecture have all made some pretty insensitive and controversial comments in the past. Steven Crowder is a former Fox News reporter who has spoken ill of Islam. Christina Hoff Sommers is apparently against the deconstruction of traditional gender roles (as much as I consider myself pretty stereotypically feminine, I nonetheless strongly oppose the imposition of gender norms on others, whether they're traditional or anti-establishment). Milo Yiannopoulos is possibly the most shocking of the bunch, as he has not only criticized women in the gaming industry during Gamergate, he has also apparently made some disgusting remarks about transgenders, Jews, and Muslims separately.

Although I really don't think screaming and interrupting is the most effective response to such misguided anti-feminism, I can still understand why so many of the attendees were so outraged. I just really wish both sides would sit down, listen to each other without making premature judgments, and actually try to make a negotiation. Fueling the whole good vs. evil thing is just a recipe for chaos.

Written By: Sita0 on 06/18/16 at 6:18 pm

Well, from what I've gathered, the three presenters at that lecture have all made some pretty insensitive and controversial comments in the past. Steven Crowder is a former Fox News reporter who has spoken ill of Islam. Christina Hoff Sommers is apparently against the deconstruction of traditional gender roles (as much as I consider myself pretty stereotypically feminine, I nonetheless strongly oppose the imposition of gender norms on others, whether they're traditional or anti-establishment). Milo Yiannopoulos is possibly the most shocking of the bunch, as he has not only criticized women in the gaming industry during Gamergate, he has also apparently made some disgusting remarks about transgenders, Jews, and Muslims separately.

Although I really don't think screaming and interrupting is the most effective response to such misguided anti-feminism, I can still understand why so many of the attendees were so outraged. I just really wish both sides would sit down, listen to each other without making premature judgments, and actually try to make a negotiation. Fueling the whole good vs. evil thing is just a recipe for chaos.

I hate Milo and Crowder's views (I don't know much about Sommers) but I support their right to say whatever they want. This whole thing where people bark about "hate speech" and banning it concerns me, because you can't have a truly neutral body define and ban "hate speech," etc, etc,... my point is, to me, it's a disgusting situationa all around, and both sides are in the wrong in some form.

Written By: #Infinity on 06/18/16 at 7:33 pm

I hate Milo and Crowder's views (I don't know much about Sommers) but I support their right to say whatever they want. This whole thing where people bark about "hate speech" and banning it concerns me, because you can't have a truly neutral body define and ban "hate speech," etc, etc,... my point is, to me, it's a disgusting situationa all around, and both sides are in the wrong in some form.

Quoted for truth. You don't have to agree with the other side, but by God should you at least try to understand where they are coming from. They can be terribly misguided, sure, but if you want any way of conveying your own point persuasively, you need to recognize the causes of their judgments.

Personally, I know that not all people are willing to change their minds, no matter how hard you try, but you can at least send a message of peace by respecting their right to free speech. Maybe, after enough consideration, the person you disagree so vehemently with will open their mind to you. It at least worth having some hope for coexistence.

Written By: musicguy93 on 06/18/16 at 9:24 pm

Exactly. I highly disagree with a lot of Milo's and Crowder's views (don't know much about Sommers either). I was just using it as an example of how SJWs use the "hate speech" argument to shut down people they don't agree with. Even though I don't agree with someone, I believe it's their every right to express their opinions.

Written By: musicguy93 on 06/18/16 at 9:27 pm

Eh, admittedly it may have not been the best example. I was just trying to use a recent event, that seemed to be getting a lot of attention on the internet.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 06/18/16 at 10:01 pm

BY1H1rZL53I

Video proof of a SJW freaking out and acting like a child in public. THIS right here is the exact type of thing I've encountered in real life but, in my case, for not even saying anything remotely offensive unless you're a sensitive stuck-in-high-school little brat. Hell, I don't even think I was this sensitive as a kid. Why is it that nowadays everyone has to believe the exact same things about everything? Even inoffensive sh!t! Honestly, whether you're on the right or left, Millennial Internet *insert political stance here* Warriors want nothing more than a white bread homogenized society where nothing pierces their safe little bubble. Don't say anything that challenges their thoughts/stances, don't hurt their feelings, don't give criticism (even if constructive) just say nothing and accept them as the special little person they are (however, they have all the right to curse at you and call you out for doing something wrong! FREE SPEECH!!!!).

Also:

Quoted for truth. You don't have to agree with the other side, but by God should you at least try to understand where they are coming from. They can be terribly misguided, sure, but if you want any way of conveying your own point persuasively, you need to recognize the causes of their judgments.

Personally, I know that not all people are willing to change their minds, no matter how hard you try, but you can at least send a message of peace by respecting their right to free speech. Maybe, after enough consideration, the person you disagree so vehemently with will open their mind to you. It at least worth having some hope for coexistence.

This.

This.

Exactly. I highly disagree with a lot of Milo's and Crowder's views (don't know much about Sommers either). I was just using it as an example of how SJWs use the "hate speech" argument to shut down people they don't agree with. Even though I don't agree with someone, I believe it's their every right to express their opinions.

And this.

Written By: #Infinity on 06/18/16 at 10:07 pm

Eh, admittedly it may have not been the best example. I was just trying to use a recent event, that seemed to be getting a lot of attention on the internet.

I just seriously think the James Rolfe Ghostbusters controversy illustrates the excessive political correctness of our present day society perfectly. It's nakedly obvious to anybody who has actually watched James' videos that he isn't sexist and would be all for an all-female Ghostbusters if it was done right, but alas, you still have all these radicals impatiently looking for anybody to accuse of sexism, just so that they can pat themselves on the back for supposedly being on the right side of progress, superior to the rest of society. They basically manipulate the story to make it seem like James doesn't even have the right to come up with his own response.

Examples of extremism on the right are pretty obvious, they mostly just have to do with all the horse crap that comes out of Donald Trump's mouth and the desperate ploys for attention associated with or even inspired by it.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/19/16 at 1:23 am

The main themes of the mid 10s are:

- Bad economy/low Canadian dollar
- Hope and change
- Trap Music
- Horrible world events and deaths of celebrities
- Quirky social media mobile apps
- Hashtags and Selfies
- Windows 10
- Smartphones
- Hipsters

Written By: Sita0 on 06/19/16 at 1:25 am

I just seriously think the James Rolfe Ghostbusters controversy illustrates the excessive political correctness of our present day society perfectly. It's nakedly obvious to anybody who has actually watched James' videos that he isn't sexist and would be all for an all-female Ghostbusters if it was done right, but alas, you still have all these radicals impatiently looking for anybody to accuse of sexism, just so that they can pat themselves on the back for supposedly being on the right side of progress, superior to the rest of society. They basically manipulate the story to make it seem like James doesn't even have the right to come up with his own response.

Examples of extremism on the right are pretty obvious, they mostly just have to do with all the horse crap that comes out of Donald Trump's mouth and the desperate ploys for attention associated with or even inspired by it.

I'd be the first to admit there are extremists on both sides. But I think the propensity is to overestimate the prevalence of extremism on the other side. Humans are naturally a tribal animal, after all.

Written By: muppethammer26 on 06/19/16 at 2:27 pm

I hope by the 2020's, tattoos and bottle cap sized piercings will fade away from the mainstream and many millennials will want to have their tattoos removed and have their deformed ears fixed back to normal.

Written By: Howard on 06/19/16 at 2:32 pm

The main themes of the mid 10s are:

- Bad economy/low Canadian dollar
- Hope and change
- Trap Music
- Horrible world events and deaths of celebrities
- Quirky social media mobile apps
- Hashtags and Selfies
- Windows 10
- Smartphones
- Hipsters

I agree with the list.

Written By: Arrowstone on 06/19/16 at 2:38 pm

I already forgot about the trap music; is it still a thing?? 8-P

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/19/16 at 6:21 pm

I would rather say that the mid 2000s were more prosperous for Pixar, since it was when movies like The Incredibles, Cars, Ratatouille, and Wall-E was made. The only thing I could think for 2005 on Disney was the Lilo and Stitch sequel, which was good.

2005 also had Chicken Little.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/19/16 at 6:30 pm

Oh yeah it's even bigger in 2016.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 06/19/16 at 7:49 pm

2005 also had Chicken Little.

I was talking about Pixar, which Chicken Little wasn't associated with Pixar.

Written By: musicguy93 on 06/19/16 at 9:04 pm

Oh yeah it's even bigger in 2016.

Much to my dismay  >:(

Written By: musicguy93 on 06/19/16 at 9:08 pm

I hope by the 2020's, tattoos and bottle cap sized piercings will fade away from the mainstream and many millennials will want to have their tattoos removed and have their deformed ears fixed back to normal.

Same here. In fact I hope every trace of hipster fashion will be eradicated from this world. Seriously, coolness needs to be cool again in the 2020's. For some reason in the 2010's, lameness is somehow cool. This whole hipster trend has made this decade so obnoxiously cutsey/quirky.

Written By: Howard on 06/20/16 at 2:37 pm

What's trap music?

Written By: 2001 on 06/20/16 at 2:45 pm

Streaming can never be free... Even if you don't pay for the stream itself, you're paying with your internet data. That's why I prefer downloaded songs much more. I can listen to music without needing an internet connection.

I have unlimited data lol. Speaking of which, my data plan in the early '10s only went up to 500MB. I did not go on picture heavy websites. I imagine it would be difficult for a social media website like Snapchat or Instagram to take off in the early '10s because of the data caps. In summer 2012 I got upgraded to 6GB of data with 4G LTE, and then later that year I went unlimited (although after 10GB it starts throttling).

Written By: Slim95 on 06/20/16 at 3:36 pm

What's trap music?

Most of the songs you hear on the radio with those heavy electronic beats. It's used on a lot of modern rap songs.

Written By: muppethammer26 on 06/30/16 at 6:39 pm

There's also a big recall on several food products due to undeclared peanut residue found in wheat flour provided by Grain Craft. It's been all over the news lately.

http://www.bakeryandsnacks.com/Regulation-Safety/Grain-Craft-flour-recall-extended-to-Mondelez-and-Snyder-s-Lance

http://www.bakeryandsnacks.com/Regulation-Safety/Hostess-recalls-products-in-peanut-scare-over-Grain-Craft-flour

http://www.foodbusinessnews.net/articles/news_home/Food_Safety_News/2016/06/Recalls_prompt_milling_industr.aspx?ID=%7B5358196A-D281-4B39-B172-AAC38A674C47%7D&cck=1

http://www.bakeryandsnacks.com/Manufacturers/Mars-recalls-Combos-over-fear-of-peanut-residue-in-Grain-Craft-flour

http://www.bakeryandsnacks.com/Regulation-Safety/Kellogg-recalls-lines-over-fear-of-peanut-residue-in-Grain-Craft-flour

Written By: nintieskid999 on 06/30/16 at 9:16 pm

Theme of the 2010s
Horrible events
worse yet to come

Written By: Slim95 on 06/30/16 at 9:35 pm

Theme of the 2010s
Horrible events
worse yet to come

and bad songs about "work".

Written By: Baltimoreian on 06/30/16 at 10:03 pm

I think it was only one song by Rihanna. I don't hear a lot of songs about "Work" or some sh*t like that.

Written By: 2001 on 06/30/16 at 11:08 pm

I think it was only one song by Rihanna. I don't hear a lot of songs about "Work" or some sh*t like that.

There's the Fifth Harmony song, which is the best song for weekend mornings and mom's cooking the big breakfast  :D

Written By: Slim95 on 06/30/16 at 11:21 pm

Umm, Fifth harmony Work form Home?? Lol there are songs on repeat about work on the radio...

Written By: Slim95 on 06/30/16 at 11:22 pm

There's the Fifth Harmony song, which is the best song for weekend mornings and mom's cooking the big breakfast  :D

I'll admit the song is catchy, so is Rihanna's. The lyrics suck though.

Written By: Howard on 07/01/16 at 6:54 am

Do you mean Rhianna's version?

Written By: Arrowstone on 07/01/16 at 9:04 am

It's like every day is worse than the day before. Really, this feels like a reflection of the 1930s, and I only hope it won't be followed by a 1940s.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 07/01/16 at 11:26 am

It's like every day is worse than the day before. Really, this feels like a reflection of the 1930s, and I only hope it won't be followed by a 1940s.

I think it's inevitable it will and there's nothing we can do to stop it :(

Written By: Slim95 on 07/01/16 at 12:35 pm

I think things will get better in the years to come. They can't get any worse. The late 10s are when we will see an improvement I believe. We may be in the peak of the dark period of the decade right now.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 07/01/16 at 2:42 pm

I think things will get better in the years to come. They can't get any worse. The late 10s are when we will see an improvement I believe. We may be in the peak of the dark period of the decade right now.

I hope you're right but how do you know that the 2020s won't get worse?

Written By: Slim95 on 07/01/16 at 2:53 pm

I hope you're right but how do you know that the 2020s won't get worse?

I don't know. I just have a feeling.

Written By: 2001 on 07/01/16 at 4:10 pm

It's nowhere near that bad. It's not even bad overall, you guys are overreacting big time.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 07/01/16 at 6:18 pm

It's nowhere near that bad. It's not even bad overall, you guys are overreacting big time.

The energy around us says we're headed for something far worse. A very big storm...

Written By: muppethammer26 on 07/01/16 at 6:23 pm

The energy around us says we're headed for something far worse. A very big storm...

Probably a recession in the late 2010's followed by the World War III in the 2020's?

Written By: Slim95 on 07/01/16 at 6:26 pm

Probably a recession in the late 2010's followed by the World War III in the 2020's?

We're currently leaving a recession right now. The economy is only starting to improve now. That's one of the reasons why I see hope for the late 10s.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/01/16 at 6:35 pm

I don't really think we'll have a World War III in the 2020s. Or unless ISIS or any affiliated terrorist groups started threatening countries around the world, but we already have the War on Terror.

Written By: #Infinity on 07/01/16 at 6:50 pm

You're more oblivious to the troubles of the 2010s because the decade's culture caters more directly to your kind. It sounds like you don't mind and even enjoy communing with others through social protests and social media, but for people like me, who are basically overlooked by current trends, the world as I know it now is pretty bitter.

By contrast, it makes sense that you would despise the 2000s, even though I'd say they were decent, or at least not that bad. That's because the whole zeitgeist of that decade was so off the mark to your own personal views, traits, and tastes.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/01/16 at 7:17 pm

What I think Arrowstone and the rest of us are saying is that the 2010s aren't that good, political wise. With the U.S. presidential election, rampant population of SJWs on the Internet, and Alt-Right supporters terrorizing America; it's no wonder that it just seems really bad.

Written By: 2001 on 07/01/16 at 7:35 pm

You're more oblivious to the troubles of the 2010s because the decade's culture caters more directly to your kind. It sounds like you don't mind and even enjoy communing with others through social protests and social media, but for people like me, who are basically overlooked by current trends, the world as I know it now is pretty bitter.

By contrast, it makes sense that you would despise the 2000s, even though I'd say they were decent, or at least not that bad. That's because the whole zeitgeist of that decade was so off the mark to your own personal views, traits, and tastes.

I was more addressing the "we're headed for the 1940s, headed for WW3, headed for nuclear holocaust" etc. side of this "2010s are bad". It's just a strange experience to wake up in the morning, go outside, ride a bike, hear the birds chirping, the flowers blossoming, the rivers creaking, and the sun shining bright, basically your cheesey happy summer morning, and then log onto these boards to heard that the world is burning and the apocalypse is fast approaching. There are no major wars, famine, disease or political conflicts taking place. Most things are fine, most things will stay fine. It's going to be okay.  :o

I understand why people dislike the 2010s. I've read people's stories and opinions on here and I respect it 100%. It's still important to have perspective. Bad events happen all the time, it doesn't mean the world's days are numbered.

Written By: #Infinity on 07/01/16 at 8:31 pm

I was more addressing the "we're headed for the 1940s, headed for WW3, headed for nuclear holocaust" etc. side of this "2010s are bad". It's just a strange experience to wake up in the morning, go outside, ride a bike, hear the birds chirping, the flowers blossoming, the rivers creaking, and the sun shining bright, basically your cheesey happy summer morning, and then log onto these boards to heard that the world is burning and the apocalypse is fast approaching. There are no major wars, famine, disease or political conflicts taking place. Most things are fine, most things will stay fine. It's going to be okay.  :o

I understand why people dislike the 2010s. I've read people's stories and opinions on here and I respect it 100%. It's still important to have perspective. Bad events happen all the time, it doesn't mean the world's days are numbered.

I agree that it's an exaggeration to call this decade the dawn of armageddon, but the innocence, optimism, and open-mindedness of the 1990s sure seems like a distant memory with how the world has been evolving.

Written By: mqg96 on 07/01/16 at 8:42 pm

To be honest, I really liked the early portion of this decade a lot better looking back. 2010-2014 were actually good years, despite a chunk of 2013 being really bad for me. Most of the problems with this decade that's put our country or world in danger didn't start creeping up until 2012, starting with the Trayvon Martin/Zimmerman case and the movie theater shooting in Colorado, but it wasn't until late 2014/2015 when all of this stuff started happening on a more consistent basis. Now you're hearing about it almost every day or week now. Whether it's shootings, terrorist attacks, LGBT or SJW controversies ,riots, the oversaturation of social media becoming a problem with people being over sensitive, online dating, Donald Trump vs. Hilary Clinton, plus all these unusual/climate change storms happening across America too, etc. It really goes all over the place. I can't believe back in 2010 (which is like yesterday to me) Barack Obama was only in his 2nd year of presidency  :o where has time gone!

I can understand why people hated the 2000's, because it was really the first decade in modern history that didn't have much of a cultural identity with the pop culture like the 90's, 80's, or 70's had. So it gets a lot of hate for it being mediocre or bland, specifically with the pop culture from 2004 and onwards that gets hated a lot, and a lot of people say the culture during the early 2000's from 2000-2003 was the last time in society where things were really balanced with an identity. Maybe it had something to do with 9/11, the Iraq War, the Bush stuff that may have affected where our country ended up going. Hell, a lot of the corruption George Bush did still impacts where our country is today. However, if you look at the 2000's overall. It was a very transitional decade from start to finish. Mobile tablets or iPhones didn't fall from the sky the moment new years day 2004 hit. The pop culture and atmosphere was still pretty balanced then. I'm still sticking with the late 2000's, or that big cultural shift around late 2008/early 2009 when technology and internet fully took over and became a necessity in most people's lives, but that's just me. Late 2001-2009 may have been a post-9/11 world, but with all the attacks that's been happening lately dating back to last year. I praise the 2000's a lot more now for how peaceful the environment used to be. With all the attacks and ISIS stuff that's been creeping up lately, who knows if some attack even bigger awaits for our country, or other important parts of the world too that could force us to enter a new war. We'll just have to see in due time.

Written By: 2001 on 07/01/16 at 8:48 pm

I agree that it's an exaggeration to call this decade the dawn of armageddon, but the innocence, optimism, and open-mindedness of the 1990s sure seems like a distant memory with how the world has been evolving.

The early-mid 90s were very dark in Canada and Europe because of the recession, so I don't know about that ;D

Written By: #Infinity on 07/01/16 at 8:50 pm

To be honest, I really liked the early portion of this decade a lot better looking back. 2010-2014 were actually good years, despite a chunk of 2013 being really bad for me. Most of the problems with this decade that's put our country or world in danger didn't start creeping up until 2012, starting with the Trayvon Martin/Zimmerman case and the movie theater shooting in Colorado, but it wasn't until late 2014/2015 when all of this stuff started happening on a more consistent basis. Now you're hearing about it almost every day or week now. Whether it's shootings, terrorist attacks, LGBT or SJW controversies ,riots, the oversaturation of social media becoming a problem with people being over sensitive, online dating, Donald Trump vs. Hilary Clinton, plus all these unusual/climate change storms happening across America too, etc. It really goes all over the place. I can't believe back in 2010 (which is like yesterday to me) Barack Obama was only in his 2nd year of presidency  :o where has time gone!

Yeah, the beginning of this decade was actually great. Music was the best it had been in a really long time in 2010, movies were solid, YouTube web series were at their absolute height, and the stylistic neutrality meant there was more flexibility to be yourself than any other time in history. Back in 2010 and 2011, I would have never thought that I'd come to ultimately despise the 2010s on an overall level as I do now.

Written By: #Infinity on 07/01/16 at 8:52 pm

The early-mid 90s were very dark in Canada and Europe because of the recession, so I don't know about that ;D

Well, it's more the second half of the 90s that was the most "optimistic," but even the early-mid 90s were a time of fresh beginnings. Sure, people had a lot of problems still – there would be no grunge or gangsta rap otherwise – but there was still more of an authenticity to the era's culture and more of an emphasis on expansion rather than precision.

Written By: 2001 on 07/01/16 at 9:19 pm

The 2000s weren't that peaceful. Pick a year and I'll break down why it was just as bad if not worse than 2016 for world events.

That's not to say the 2010s are peaceful, I understand everyone's grievances and they're all legitimate, but you're not giving it a chance by comparing it to your kid/teen decade when you most likely weren't reading the news.

Well, it's more the second half of the 90s that was the most "optimistic," but even the early-mid 90s were a time of fresh beginnings. Sure, people had a lot of problems still – there would be no grunge or gangsta rap otherwise – but there was still more of an authenticity to the era's culture and more of an emphasis on expansion rather than precision.

My parents don't like the 90s very much. My dad lost his job in 1992 during the early '90s recession and my parents separated for a bit, got back together into a smaller house (8 people living in a two bedroom house, ah the good old days lol). It didn't help that I was an extreme trouble toddler, that's why they sent me off to preschool when I was 2 and a half ;D I remember my mom not being very mentally stable in 1997. Things got better as we got closer to 1999, but it's the tail end of the decade.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/01/16 at 9:33 pm

The 2000s weren't that peaceful. Pick a year and I'll break down why it was just as bad if not worse than 2016 for world events.

We had as much terrorist attacks (not just in the U.S.), shootings, political conflicts, and presidential controversy in 2016 than the 2000s had. Not to mention with all of the nationalism that happened, thanks to Donald Trump and Brexit, we might have one of, or if not, the most controversial year for politics in the 21st century.

That's not to say the 2010s are peaceful, I understand everyone's grievances and they're all legitimate, but you're not giving it a chance by comparing it to your kid/teen decade when you most likely weren't reading the news.

I'm a teenager and I watch CNN sometimes to know what's going on in the world.

Written By: #Infinity on 07/01/16 at 9:38 pm

I never said the 2000s were peaceful, especially considering they were the decade of 9/11. I just think there were more and better outlets for those who deviated from the norm throughout that decade, whereas now, even most underground cultures feel controlled by current social media trends.

I've been following the news pretty closely since about late 2008, not to mention I was a political science major in college, and I can say the mid-2010s are the most hectic period since then. Sure, the Great Recession was woeful, as was the Tea Party movement, but there was at least some semblance of civilized conversation when it came to real world events back at the end of the 2000s and start of the 2010s. People actually discussed things, rather than just spewing bullcrap over their Twitter account. Actually, I think even 2013-2015 feel like a walk in the park compared to 2016, which has set the highest standard for social turbulence in an extremely long time.

Written By: Emman on 07/01/16 at 10:23 pm

When people compare the 2010s to the 1930s, they're hinting at the overall social mood, like the slow recovery from a nasty financial crisis, the rise in populism and nationalism across the western world, and the threat of another financial shock.
Economists are even bringing back the idea of "secular stagnation", this is a term from the late 1930s to describe a period of slow growth and low fertility rates.

This is a dangerous time because the post World War 2 order/consensus is crumbling(Brexit is only one symptom of that), you'd have to be pretty dense not to notice that. I think many people sense that the next decade will see major political upheaval, it doesn't have to be a war but it will be pretty turbulent. The US in particular is more polarized than it's been in recent memory, political polarization is much worse than it was 10 or 20 years ago and we STILL have not fully recovered from The Great Recession. This situation will definitely come to ahead if the US does not enact major reforms (Progressive Era-like and some new-New Deal).

Written By: 2001 on 07/01/16 at 10:37 pm

I never said the 2000s were peaceful, especially considering they were the decade of 9/11. I just think there were more and better outlets for those who deviated from the norm throughout that decade, whereas now, even most underground cultures feel controlled by current social media trends.

I've been following the news pretty closely since about late 2008, not to mention I was a political science major in college, and I can say the mid-2010s are the most hectic period since then. Sure, the Great Recession was woeful, as was the Tea Party movement, but there was at least some semblance of civilized conversation when it came to real world events back at the end of the 2000s and start of the 2010s. People actually discussed things, rather than just spewing bullcrap over their Twitter account. Actually, I think even 2013-2015 feel like a walk in the park compared to 2016, which has set the highest standard for social turbulence in an extremely long time.

I was more replying to mug's post, but he wrote a lot and I didn't want to reply dismissively like I did, so I more replied to the general direction the topic was going in. I look at world events and take them face value, I don't discuss politics on my social media accounts. I mean, if you don't like social media, can't you just avoid it?  ??? What goes on in the social media world is really inconsequential for the most part.

I've been following the news on and off since around 2003. In 2005 reading the BBC and looking up random world stats like GDP, literacy rates, histories of obscure African countries was pretty much my hobby. The year of Asian Tsunami, 7/7 bombings, Kashmir Earthquake, Paris riots, Hurricane Katrina, Iraq and Afghanistan war raging on... yeah, not a fun year. I'd say 2004 and late 2008/early 2009 were the most hectic. I mean, you can't have forgot the Great Recession, the 15% unemployment, the rapidly rising cost of living, Euro Crisis, Greek debt crisis, the Israel-Gaza war, H1N1, Haiti Earthquake etc. could you?  :o

When people compare the 2010s to the 1930s, they're hinting at the overall social mood, like the slow recovery from a nasty financial crisis, the rise in populism and nationalism across the western world, and the threat of another financial shock.
Economists are even bringing back the idea of "secular stagnation", this is a term from the late 1930s to describe a period of slow growth and low fertility rates.

This is a dangerous time because the post World War 2 order/consensus is crumbling(Brexit is only one symptom of that), you'd have to be pretty dense not to notice that. I think many people sense that the next decade will see major political upheaval, it doesn't have to be a war but it will be pretty turbulent. The US in particular is more polarized than it's been in recent memory, political polarization is much worse than it was 10 or 20 years ago and we STILL have not fully recovered from The Great Recession. This situation will definitely come to ahead if the US does not enact major reforms (Progressive Era-like and some new-New Deal).

The economic similarities between the 1930s and 2010s are tangential at best. The 2010s growth has been slow but positive. We're not talking about 30% unemployment and rampant homelessness and starvation, the safety net was strong enough that the unemployment rate in 2009 didn't even hit the highs of the early '80s recession. The only case where you have a point is the rise of the far-right in Europe (not the US because the Republicans have always been this racist) as a result of the Euro crisis. I'm still (historically ironically) looking to countries like Germany in hopes that cooler heads will ultimately prevail.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/01/16 at 10:43 pm

The 2000s were a heavenly peaceful decade compared to the 2010s lol. You had a couple mass shootings here and there but they were all from the U.S. These last two years alone we had mass shootings from all over the world. The economy in the 00s was great up until 2008.

Written By: #Infinity on 07/01/16 at 10:45 pm

I was more replying to mug's post, but he wrote a lot and I didn't want to reply dismissively like I did, so I more replied to the general direction the topic was going in. I look at world events and take them face value, I don't discuss politics on my social media accounts. I mean, if you don't like social media, can't you just avoid it?  ??? What goes on in the social media world is really inconsequential for the most part.

Well, social media is pretty much the foundation for all everyday activities now, so it's pretty hard to avoid unless you live in complete and utter isolation. I can pretend it's 1997 as much as I want, but that still doesn't change the fact that I still constantly come across people using social media and using it as their public venting chamber. Regardless, I shouldn't have to avoid other people just to appreciate the time I'm living in!

I've been following the news on and off since around 2003. In 2005 reading the BBC and looking up random world stats like GDP, literacy rates, histories of obscure African countries was pretty much my hobby. The year of Asian Tsunami, 7/7 bombings, Kashmir Earthquake, Paris riots, Hurricane Katrina, Iraq and Afghanistan war raging on... yeah, not a fun year. I'd say 2004 and late 2008/early 2009 were the most hectic. I mean, you can't have forgot the Great Recession, the 15% unemployment, the rapidly rising cost of living, Euro Crisis, Greek debt crisis, the Israel-Gaza war, H1N1, Haiti Earthquake etc. could you?  :o

Every year has its horrible events, even the 90s (*cough* Oklahoma City *cough*). However, the way world events have stacked together this year has painted a particularly bleak picture of the world in the moment that no year in a long time could ever match. I would say 2016 is still nowhere near as horrific a year for world events as 1968 was, but the pot is definitely boiling over regardless.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 07/01/16 at 10:51 pm

I love the '00s, but experiencing the decade as a teen/young adult definitely made me see the dark side of it as well, sometimes first hand. I had kids that I went to high school with who actually joined the military during the Iraq War and saw combat in places like Fallujah and Ramadi. I had an uncle that was living in southern Louisiana at the time Hurricane Katrina hit. I left college the same year that unemployment hit 10% at the height of the Great Recession. It was certainly a rocky time.

You just experience a decade in a totally different way when you're a kid. Back in the '90s, stuff like the OKC Bombing, Waco, the OJ Simpson trail and the genocide in Rwanda didn't mean anything to me. All I cared about was dominating my friends on Mortal Kombat, and when the next new episode of MMPR was coming on.

Written By: 2001 on 07/01/16 at 11:02 pm

Well, social media is pretty much the foundation for all everyday activities now, so it's pretty hard to avoid unless you live in complete and utter isolation. I can pretend it's 1997 as much as I want, but that still doesn't change the fact that I still constantly come across people using social media and using it as their public venting chamber. Regardless, I shouldn't have to avoid other people just to appreciate the time I'm living in!

Haha, that's true about the last bit. It all depends though; I haven't been on Facebook proper in forever, and I don't feel all that disconnected from my friends or world events.

Every year has its horrible events, even the 90s (*cough* Oklahoma City *cough*). However, the way world events have stacked together this year has painted a particularly bleak picture of the world in the moment that no year in a long time could ever match. I would say 2016 is still nowhere near as horrific a year for world events as 1968 was, but the pot is definitely boiling over regardless.

Well, I'm not going to bury my head in the sand and say 2016 is peaceful; it isn't, we're going through very turbulent times, but it's not exceptionally awful. The world has been through tough times before (late 2000s, early 90s, early 80s, late 60s/early 70s) but through its growing pains it always came back stable, positive and back to its normal self. I have no reason to believe we're headed for WW3. ISIS? They unite countries like Iran, Israel and the US onto the same side for crying out loud! How could they cause WW3?! Some of the comparisons in these threads will look comical ten years on.

Written By: mqg96 on 07/01/16 at 11:02 pm

My parents don't like the 90s very much. My dad lost his job in 1992 during the early '90s recession and my parents separated for a bit, got back together into a smaller house (8 people living in a two bedroom house, ah the good old days lol). It didn't help that I was an extreme trouble toddler, that's why they sent me off to preschool when I was 2 and a half ;D I remember my mom not being very mentally stable in 1997. Things got better as we got closer to 1999, but it's the tail end of the decade.

We're not talking about personal stuff. We're talking about the state of the country, or most importantly, our world. ISIS, terror attacks, or shootings going on a consistent basis over the last two years or so. That's not on the same level as the early 2010's or earlier. Sure, you've had 9/11, or the Oklahoma City bombing, but not in my lifetime I've ever seen this many attacks or shootings happen so rapidly in a weekly or month period. It wasn't like this during my middle school or high school years, and I've talked to adults who've said it wasn't like this during the 90's or 2000's either. Social media getting stronger every year hasn't helped much either.

Even the weather and climate has been acting strange too. Record breaking thunderstorms or tornadoes happening at the wrong times. Forest fires in California. Shark attacks happening more often at the shores lately. Unusual weather patterns during the wrong seasons, etc.

Written By: mqg96 on 07/01/16 at 11:06 pm

Wow, interesting post here about US history. Something to keep in mind.

Written By: 2001 on 07/01/16 at 11:15 pm

We're not talking about personal stuff. We're talking about the state of the country, or most importantly, our world. ISIS, terror attacks, or shootings going on a consistent basis over the last two years or so. That's not on the same level as the early 2010's or earlier. Sure, you've had 9/11, or the Oklahoma City bombing, but not in my lifetime I've ever since this many attacks or shootings happen so rapidly in a weekly or month period. It wasn't like this during my middle school or high school years, and I've talked to adults who've said it wasn't like this during the 90's or 2000's either. Social media getting stronger every year hasn't helped much either.

Even the weather and climate has been acting strange too. Record breaking thunderstorms or tornadoes happening at the wrong times. Forest fires in California. Shark attacks happening more often at the shores lately. Unusual weather patterns during the wrong seasons, etc.

I was giving a personal life example because I don't really have any first-hand experience with the early 90s myself. The early '90s recession in Canada was worse than the Great Recession, and countries in Europe like Finland had full-on economic depression, not just recession. There are other events, but I was not alive for most the early '90s so I can't say first hand lol.

In the 2000s we had Al-Qaeda and the Taliban who caused as many deaths as ISIS. The 2000s had their fair share of terrorist attacks (although not as numerous as the 2010s), 9/11, Madrid bombings, 7/7. If we're including countries like Turkey and Bangladesh (since our 24-hour news media likes to tie it in to this major theme) then we got countless of terrorist attacks in the 2000s. Murder rates are actually considerably down in the 2010s, even if mass shootings are on the rise.

But I'm not trying to Baghdad Bob this year, a lot of the world events are tragic, especially compared to some years of the early '10s.

I agree with you on the climate, and it's only going to get worse unless we do something about it.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/01/16 at 11:15 pm

I think the early to mid 10s had a slightly more fun vibe than now. Like 2012 - 2014 had so many viral fun videos like Gangnam Style, Harlem Shake, even that Selfie song. 2013 you had fun, laid-back songs like Thrift Shop. These days we do have vines but they aren't fun nor funny. They're just annoying and targeted towards kids and young teens. I think late 2014 and early 2015 was when this dark, depressing period began in the 2010s. Probably that police shooting of that African-American kid (I forgot his name) and the protests that followed it sparked this dark phase.

Written By: Emman on 07/01/16 at 11:16 pm

The economic similarities between the 1930s and 2010s are tangential at best. The 2010s growth has been slow but positive. We're not talking about 30% unemployment and rampant homelessness and starvation, the safety net was strong enough that the unemployment rate in 2009 didn't even hit the highs of the early '80s recession. The only case where you have a point is the rise of the far-right in Europe (not the US because the Republicans have always been this racist) as a result of the Euro crisis. I'm still (historically ironically) looking to countries like Germany in hopes that cooler heads will ultimately prevail.

It's the extremely slow recovery after 2008, in fact it's been even slower than the recovery after the low point of 1932, GDP growth after that was much stronger than what we've had during the 2010s. This time around has been different from the 1930s because of the quick reaction of The Fed to the crisis of '08(with the bailouts and QE) lead to a more blunted recession but didn't fix the underlying structural problems leading to the crisis. So I'm predicting we'll still be dealing with The Great Recession's sociopolitical after effects and another recession(we're in late stage recovery mode in 2016).

The Republicans "always being racist" is beside the point, it's the extreme polarization that's going to lead to major problems(in the US and in Europe. I don't even think Germany will be able to stave off what I consider to be a political sheeshstorm that's coming. The EU was created to stop the exact kind of trends we're seeing today and these trends will intensify over the next 5-10 years.

Written By: 2001 on 07/01/16 at 11:41 pm

I love the '00s, but experiencing the decade as a teen/young adult definitely made me see the dark side of it as well, sometimes first hand. I had kids that I went to high school with who actually joined the military during the Iraq War and saw combat in places like Fallujah and Ramadi. I had an uncle that was living in southern Louisiana at the time Hurricane Katrina hit. I left college the same year that unemployment hit 10% at the height of the Great Recession. It was certainly a rocky time.

You just experience a decade in a totally different way when you're a kid. Back in the '90s, stuff like the OKC Bombing, Waco, the OJ Simpson trail and the genocide in Rwanda didn't mean anything to me. All I cared about was dominating my friends on Mortal Kombat, and when the next new episode of MMPR was coming on.

Exactly! It hits a lot closer to home when you're more aware of the events and they hit you closer to home. Thanks for sharing.

The funny thing is, even when you're a teen, the world events still don't have the same impact on you as they would later. Case in point, I lost my job at the height of the recession in mid-2009. I was devastated and felt like an abject failure at first, but as time moved on, I realized I really hated that job and the new found free time (and the fat severance!) was really vital in helping me in getting out of my depression back then. That's the ironic case of the Great Recession actually being a net positive in my life. If I lost the job as a 26 year old instead, it would be another story!

Written By: 2001 on 07/01/16 at 11:50 pm

It's the extremely slow recovery after 2008, in fact it's been even slower than the recovery after the low point of 1932, GDP growth after that was much stronger than what we've had during the 2010s. This time around has been different from the 1930s because of the quick reaction of The Fed to the crisis of '08(with the bailouts and QE) lead to a more blunted recession but didn't fix the underlying structural problems leading to the crisis. So I'm predicting we'll still be dealing with The Great Recession's sociopolitical after effects and another recession(we're in late stage recovery mode in 2016).

The Republicans "always being racist" is beside the point, it's the extreme polarization that's going to lead to major problems(in the US and in Europe. I don't even think Germany will be able to stave off what I consider to be a political sheeshstorm that's coming. The EU was created to stop the exact kind of trends we're seeing today and these trends will intensify over the next 5-10 years.

What? There was another recession in 1938, 9 years after the 1929 stock market crash, as bad as the one in 1931. The only thing that got us out of that mess was WW2 itself. We are approaching 9 years after the start of the recession in December 2007 and I don't see us anywhere near a 1938 or anything resembling it. Another recession is inevitable because it's a part of the economic cycle, whenever it happens, I hope we're not going to be seeing more doomsday theories on here when that happens.

Written By: Emman on 07/02/16 at 12:16 am

What? There was another recession in 1938, 9 years after the 1929 stock market crash, as bad as the one in 1931. The only thing that got us out of that mess was WW2 itself. We are approaching 9 years after the start of the recession in December 2007 and I don't see us anywhere near a 1938 or anything resembling it. Another recession is inevitable because it's a part of the economic cycle, whenever it happens, I hope we're not going to be seeing more doomsday theories on here when that happens.

I'm not talking about doomsday or whatever(that's just using a strawman tactic), I'm talking about a major political upheaval, we might all be better off after it happens.

You're missing the whole point, what I said when I first replied still stands, I was talking about the overall social mood, I said, "like the slow recovery from a nasty financial crisis, the rise in populism and nationalism across the western world, and the threat of another financial shock."

All of this is undoubtedly true and you're missing the big picture and nitpicking(and using strawman arguments).

And while this 1938 thing is sidetracking off my main point, yes even after the 1937 recession there was a very quick recovery and GDP growth was much better than what we're seeing today(and GPD growth resumed before the US got heavily involved in World War 2). The recovery after 2009 has been the worst recovery and you're sidetracking with "oh what about 1938".

Written By: 2001 on 07/02/16 at 1:17 am

I'm not talking about doomsday or whatever(that's just using a strawman tactic), I'm talking about a major political upheaval, we might all be better off after it happens.

You're missing the whole point, what I said when I first replied still stands, I was talking about the overall social mood, I said, "like the slow recovery from a nasty financial crisis, the rise in populism and nationalism across the western world, and the threat of another financial shock."

All of this is undoubtedly true and you're missing the big picture and nitpicking(and using strawman arguments).

And while this 1938 thing is sidetracking off my main point, yes even after the 1937 recession there was a very quick recovery and GDP growth was much better than what we're seeing today(and GPD growth resumed before the US got heavily involved in World War 2). The recovery after 2009 has been the worst recovery and you're sidetracking with "oh what about 1938".

Sidetracking? You're acting like after 1932 it was smooth sailing for the economy.

in fact it's been even slower than the recovery after the low point of 1932, GDP growth after that was much stronger than what we've had during the 2010s.

Yeah, of course GDP growth was high. Going from $1 to $2 is 100% GDP growth. Unemployment rate still never dropped below 15% throughout the decade. And 6 years after 1932, the economy crashed yet again in 1938 and went back to 20%+ unemployment rates. What recovery are you even talking about? Whatever recovery you're talking about it happened long after the 1930s. To see the 2010s being compared to the 1930s/1940s is incredibly ridiculous, 2010s is "poor economy" of the 1930s as the 2000s is "war and instability" of the 1940s/World War 2. You're not going to panic every time we have a recession and things start looking marginally like the 1930s are you?

I'd even contest that there was a rise of nationalism across the board in Europe in the 1930s. It was mostly localized to German speaking countries, the ones harder hit by the Treaty of Versailles and the debt payments to the US spiralling out of control. No Nazi party to speak of in France or the UK. Even the Nazi's rise to power involved a lot of violent suppression of their opponents such as the Socialists. Where do you see that happening in the 2010s?

Some of the 2010s complaints I've seen on these boards are legitimate, then there are the others that compare the decade to times of war, famine, disease. Like I was saying before "you guys are overreacting big time". Sh*t happens, the globe keeps spinning.

Written By: Emman on 07/02/16 at 2:07 am

Sidetracking? You're acting like after 1932 it was smooth sailing for the economy.
Yeah, of course GDP growth was high. Going from $1 to $2 is 100% GDP growth. Unemployment rate still never dropped below 15% throughout the decade. And 6 years after 1932, the economy crashed yet again in 1938 and went back to 20%+ unemployment rates. What recovery are you even talking about? Whatever recovery you're talking about it happened long after the 1930s. To see the 2010s being compared to the 1930s/1940s is incredibly ridiculous, 2010s is "poor economy" of the 1930s as the 2000s is "war and instability" of the 1940s/World War 2.

"like the slow recovery from a nasty financial crisis, the rise in populism and nationalism across the western world, and the threat of another financial shock."

This what you seemed to have the most problems but you started nickpicking on details(mainly the economic one) that don't contradict this. Overall you've said a whole bunch of nothing that doesn't take away from my point.

You're not going to panic every time we have a recession and things start looking marginally like the 1930s are you?

You're being just an incredible asshole with this statement, adept username though. ::)

Written By: 2001 on 07/02/16 at 2:32 am

Wow, someone is incredibly thin skinned. Not worth my time, I won't contribute to the drama.

Written By: Howard on 07/02/16 at 6:57 am

probably more shootings. What else is new?  ::)

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/02/16 at 9:37 am

probably more shootings. What else is new?  ::)

Well, there could be a political riot that would happen during this year's election. If Trump wins, then I suppose a lot of people would get pissed about it.

Written By: Emman on 07/02/16 at 11:37 am

Wow, someone is incredibly thin skinned. Not worth my time, I won't contribute to the drama.

I just feel like you've been misinterpreting my whole point, all I'm saying is that the conditions of extreme political polarization, wealth inequality/stagnation, and the demand for change is going to lead to major institutional and political re-structuring over the next 15 years(the signs are already here now).

Here's some books that made me think about this and maybe you can check out.

Shattered-Consensus

Crisis-Without-End-Unravelling-Prosperity

Written By: Howard on 07/02/16 at 1:18 pm

Well, there could be a political riot that would happen during this year's election. If Trump wins, then I suppose a lot of people would get pissed about it.

What happens if he doesn't? ???

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/02/16 at 1:19 pm

Then I guess nobody would care. Clinton isn't that much of a good candidate, but at least she isn't batsh*t insane with other people.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/02/16 at 1:19 pm

People would still get pissed.  ;D

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/02/16 at 1:21 pm

People would still get pissed.  ;D

Why would a lot of people get pissed? Clinton isn't really that controversial compared to Trump.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/02/16 at 1:27 pm

Why would a lot of people get pissed? Clinton isn't really that controversial compared to Trump.

Trust me, she's still very controversial. I constantly hear everyone calling her a criminal and saying she's worse than Trump. I do think she's better than Trump though.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/02/16 at 1:32 pm

Trust me, she's still very controversial. I constantly hear everyone calling her a criminal and saying she's worse than Trump. I do think she's better than Trump though.

That's coming from the people who support Trump. They basically think she's a criminal, but that didn't gave her a lot of controversy compared to Trump.

Written By: Howard on 07/02/16 at 1:35 pm

Then who's a good candidate?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/02/16 at 1:40 pm

Then who's a good candidate?

I honestly don't know. I only focus on who's going to win this year's presidential election, since the attention it gets is like wildfire.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/02/16 at 1:49 pm

That's coming from the people who support Trump. They basically think she's a criminal, but that didn't gave her a lot of controversy compared to Trump.

Well people get pissed off at everything these days. If Trump wins people will be angry. If Clinton wins Trump supporters would get angry. No matter who is in office people won't be happy.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/02/16 at 1:50 pm

Well people get pissed off at everything these days. If Trump wins people will be angry, if Clinton wins Trump supporters would get angry. No matter who is in office people won't be happy.

Everyone gets angry at politics since the dawn of time. Trump and Clinton supporters aren't the first people who get pissed at everything.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/02/16 at 1:52 pm

Everyone gets angry at politics since the dawn of time. Trump and Clinton supporters aren't the first people who get pissed at everything.

Yup, that's very true. Here in Canada all of the conservatives hate Trudeau and call him brainless and inexperienced. When Harper was in power, everyone hated Harper too. That's how politics is.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/02/16 at 1:53 pm

Yup, that's very true. Here in Canada all of the conservatives hate Trudeau and call him brainless and inexperienced. When Harper was in power, everyone hated Harper too. That's how politics is.

That's the point that I was trying to make. Everyone, no matter what country they came from, gets upset over everything from politics.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/02/16 at 1:54 pm

That's the point that I was trying to make. Everyone, no matter what country they came from, gets upset over everything from politics.

I agree with that. There will always be people who are unhappy.

Written By: 2001 on 07/02/16 at 2:52 pm

Trudeau is actually still really popular out east!

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-gMtwso8Azio/V2RjSPdOEGI/AAAAAAAAZeQ/o0YKsZr5dvk7nrF1GTHbVWR2odMoaSYrgCLcB/s1600/Vertical.png

The most exciting thing to me is the Quebec numbers, because support for separatism was ranging in the mid-40s in 2014, but has since dropped to low 20s after Trudeau got elected. Overall, I'm very thankful that we have a moderate prime minister with a 70% approval rating, instead of the mess down south or whatever the hell is going on in Europe. We're so so lucky to be living in a stable country in turbulent times like this.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/02/16 at 3:09 pm

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-gMtwso8Azio/V2RjSPdOEGI/AAAAAAAAZeQ/o0YKsZr5dvk7nrF1GTHbVWR2odMoaSYrgCLcB/s1600/Vertical.png

The most exciting thing to me is the Quebec numbers, because support for separatism was ranging in the mid-40s in 2014, but has since dropped to low 20s after Trudeau got elected. Overall, I'm very thankful that we have a moderate prime minister with a 70% approval rating, instead of the mess down south or whatever the hell is going on in Europe. We're so so lucky to be living in a stable country in turbulent times like this.

I could agree with you on that. It's why I love Canada so much.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/02/16 at 4:26 pm

Yeah I agree. Trudeau is one of the best prime ministers we've had so far. You can tell how passionate he is and that he cares. It's very refreshing. A lot of conservatives don't like him though. I still like the NDP but lately I've been liking the federal liberals more.

Written By: 2001 on 07/02/16 at 5:59 pm

Yeah I agree. Trudeau is one of the best prime ministers we've had so far. You can tell how passionate he is and that he cares. It's very refreshing. A lot of conservatives don't like him though. I still like the NDP but lately I've been liking the federal liberals more.

Same. I voted NDP in 2011 (Jack Layton!  :D), and reluctantly voted Liberal in 2015 to block the Conservatives (Bernie or Busters pay close attention!), but I really like the federal Liberals right now. If there was an election today I'd gladly vote for them again. Provincially I'm still solid NDP though. You guys are lucky to have Rachel Notley.

It's kind of the same in Toronto municipal politics. I don't live in Toronto proper anymore, but if there was an election today, I'd happily vote for centre-right John Tory, even though I'm left wing. I like his brand of moderatism and consensus. Better than Rob Ford LOL

Written By: Slim95 on 07/02/16 at 6:03 pm

Same. I voted NDP in 2011 (Jack Layton!  :D), and reluctantly voted Liberal in 2015 to block the Conservatives (Bernie or Busters pay close attention!), but I really like the federal Liberals right now. If there was an election today I'd gladly vote for them again. Provincially I'm still solid NDP though. You guys are lucky to have Rachel Notley.

It's kind of the same in Toronto municipal politics. I don't live in Toronto proper anymore, but if there was an election today, I'd happily vote for centre-right John Tory, even though I'm left wing. I like his brand of moderatism and consensus. Better than Rob Ford LOL

Jack Layton was amazing. He will always be my favourite politician. That's exactly why I voted liberal last election too. Yeah I like NDP provincially as well. I really like Notley as a premier and she is a great leader. She's also against the leap manifesto that the federal NDP are proposing and she is protecting Alberta. I am glad because I hate the leap manifesto plan, way too radical.

Written By: 2001 on 07/02/16 at 6:29 pm

Jack Layton was amazing. He will always be my favourite politician. That's exactly why I voted liberal last election too. Yeah I like NDP provincially as well. I really like Notley as a premier and she is a great leader. She's also against the leap manifesto that the federal NDP are proposing and she is protecting Alberta. I am glad because I hate the leap manifesto plan, way too radical.

My mom and brother got to meet Jack Layton in person, I'm still super jealous    :\'(

The radical left keeps sabotaging the party. They're more concerned with purity tests than winning elections and passing legislation. It was the same in the Ontario 2014 election, they had an inner party rebellion because the NDP wanted a $12.50 minimum wage instead of $14 (the other parties didn't want to increase the minimum wage). We're fortunate that the Liberals are more left-leaning these days, it could've been way worse.  :o

Written By: Catherine91UK on 07/03/16 at 2:18 pm

Politically, in the UK, the mid 2010s ended on 23rd June this year!

Written By: Howard on 07/03/16 at 3:04 pm

Well people get pissed off at everything these days. If Trump wins people will be angry. If Clinton wins Trump supporters would get angry. No matter who is in office people won't be happy.

Then they shouldn't have an election. ::)

Written By: 2001 on 07/04/16 at 9:09 pm

Unorthodox work culture. My workplace started letting bring their pets to work. At first I thought it was gonna be gross and they'd get their poop and hair everywhere and make a lot of noise, but it turned out to be very therapeutic and fun. Oh yeah, casual Fridays are pretty much casual everydays, coming into work in a tracksuit is whatever. They also have beds for afternoon power naps, you have to bring your own pillow/bed sheet/blanket though, ain't nobody got time for that.

I told my boss/manager/whatever I wanted one of those treadmill desks because walking gets my mind running and the whole office erupted into laughter. They said they're going to give a skinny guy like me all-you-can-eat poutine everyday instead of more cardio. Everyone gets their weird requests accepted except me  :\'(

Politically, in the UK, the mid 2010s ended on 23rd June this year!

Brutal. You voted remain right? Best of luck  :-\\

Written By: batfan2005 on 07/08/16 at 11:41 pm

Well, one of the main defining themes just took a turn for the worse over the last few days, particularly with the incident in Dallas.

Written By: Emman on 07/09/16 at 2:37 am

Well, one of the main defining themes just took a turn for the worse over the last few days, particularly with the incident in Dallas.

It's a symptom of the extreme polarization I was talking about earlier in the thread, we are in a crisis of "trust", trust in civic institutions is at a nadir. There needs to be major institutional/structural reforms that restores civic trust and hope for many as many different groups as possible(blacks, whites, ect), if not this situation will get even worse over the next 5-10 years.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/09/16 at 3:08 am

Political polarization?

Written By: Howard on 07/09/16 at 6:48 am

Guns over the past 4-5 years would be a possible theme for the 2010's.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/09/16 at 7:12 am

Guns over the past 4-5 years would be a possible theme for the 2010's.

Guns had been a theme of the United States since its independence.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/13/16 at 11:16 pm

I would also add Game of Thrones, Star Wars, and Pokemon Go to the list of defining themes of the mid 2010s. And I forgot if I mentioned it but apps like Snap Chat, Instagram, Periscope, Yik Yak, and a a couple more mobile social media apps.

Written By: #Infinity on 07/14/16 at 12:04 am

I would also add Game of Thrones, Star Wars, and Pokemon Go to the list of defining themes of the mid 2010s. And I forgot if I mentioned it but apps like Snap Chat, Instagram, Periscope, Yik Yak, and a a couple more mobile social media apps.

Pokémon GO will probably come to define the late 2010s, not the mid-2010s. It only just got released a week ago, and we're already really close to the chronological start of the late 2010s.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/14/16 at 12:07 am

Pokémon GO will probably come to define the late 2010s, not the mid-2010s. It only just got released a week ago, and we're already really close to the chronological start of the late 2010s.

Yeah but do you really think in a year from now it will have the same buzz? Pokemon Go is everywhere now, everyone is talking about it on social media and in real life, which is why I think it's a mid 2010s trend. We may be close to the late 2010s, but we are still currently in the mid 2010s.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 07/14/16 at 12:14 am

Yeah but do you really think in a year from now it will have the same buzz? Pokemon Go is everywhere now, everyone is talking about it on social media and in real life, which is why I think it's a mid 2010s trend. We may be close to the late 2010s, but we are still currently in the mid 2010s.

It won't feel like the late 10s until January 20, 2017.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/14/16 at 12:18 am

It won't feel like the late 10s until January 20, 2017.

Well nobody knows for sure when it will feel like the late 10s. The election isn't the only factor.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 07/14/16 at 12:25 am

Well nobody knows for sure when it will feel like the late 10s. The election isn't the only factor.

Well eras typically change when a new president's in office. I feel the turbulence so that the change will feel dramatic.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/14/16 at 12:31 am

Pokemon GO is so freaking fun!!  8)

Written By: #Infinity on 07/14/16 at 10:20 am

Yes, I do think it will still be all the rage in 2017-2019. It's bound to get several updates down the road, probably eventually integrating more generations of creatures than just the original 151. Plus, augmented reality games are a rising trend, and the success of Pokemon GO will surely lead to plenty more mobile titles titles, which were not super significant from 2013 through the first half of 2016.

Written By: 2001 on 07/14/16 at 3:00 pm

Winters here in Canada are really cold and people don't go outside, so I can't imagine Pokémon GO's popularity making it past the winter. I'm going to enjoy it while I can!

Written By: GH1996 on 07/14/16 at 3:30 pm

Winters here in Canada are really cold

Damn right they are! When i was born it was -37c.. thankfully I'm on the west coast now where the weather is much more tolerable than the east

Written By: Howard on 07/14/16 at 3:50 pm

the newest game for kids.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/14/16 at 3:55 pm

the newest game for kids.

It's not just kids. I see adults who even play the game, especially my mom.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/14/16 at 4:12 pm

It's not just kids. I see adults who even play the game, especially my mom.

I play it and I'm not a kid.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/14/16 at 4:13 pm

Well that's my point. Not everyone who plays Pokemon Go is a kid.

Written By: #Infinity on 07/14/16 at 4:18 pm

Well that's my point. Not everyone who plays Pokemon Go is a kid.

I play it as a lifelong fan of Pokemon since June 1999.

Written By: Howard on 07/14/16 at 4:30 pm

I don't play it.

Written By: 2001 on 07/14/16 at 8:20 pm

Damn right they are! When i was born it was -37c.. thankfully I'm on the west coast now where the weather is much more tolerable than the east

Vancouver?

It was -36C with windchill on my birthday last year ;D This winter was warmer though because of El Nino.

Written By: GH1996 on 07/14/16 at 8:33 pm

Vancouver?

It was -36C with windchill on my birthday last year ;D This winter was warmer though because of El Nino.

Yup, Vancouver! It was about -3c on my birthday last year, thank god for El Nino...

Written By: nintieskid999 on 07/14/16 at 8:34 pm

Disaster, disaster and more disaster

Written By: 2001 on 07/14/16 at 8:36 pm

Yup, Vancouver! It was about -3c on my birthday last year, thank god for El Nino...

Jelly  :-X don't know how anyone affords living there.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/14/16 at 9:15 pm

It's absolutely awful. I don't know how much more I can take of this. Did you hear about the latest terrorist attack in France today? 77 people were killed.

Written By: Looney Toon on 07/17/16 at 9:58 am

The funny moment when I can't even argue against this cause it's not even an exaggeration.  :-\\

It's strange cause even the early 2010s wasn't this bad. Late 2010s hopefully gets better.

Check for new replies or respond here...