inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Warning signs for Seoul's 'smartphone zombies'

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/21/16 at 4:48 am

Seoul is installing 300 new street signs to warn pedestrians about the dangers of walking while engrossed in their smartphones - but not everyone's convinced they'll be noticed.

http://ichef-1.bbci.co.uk/news/660/cpsprodpb/1813F/production/_90032689_signs.png

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-36576259

Subject: Re: Warning signs for Seoul's 'smartphone zombies'

Written By: Baltimoreian on 06/21/16 at 8:33 am

The United States should have that sign too. Considering how tech-savvy their population is.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/21/16 at 8:38 am

The United States should have that sign too. Considering how tech-savvy their population is.
It should be the same the whole over?

Written By: Howard on 06/21/16 at 2:54 pm

I definitely agree.

Written By: whistledog on 06/21/16 at 11:56 pm

Seoul is installing 300 new street signs to warn pedestrians about the dangers of walking while engrossed in their smartphones - but not everyone's convinced they'll be noticed.

If they are looking at their phones, they will never see these signs lol

Written By: Sita0 on 06/22/16 at 12:00 am

You're never gonna change how people act in this regard. You'd have to be pretty stupid to be reading your phone crossing a city street.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/22/16 at 2:59 am

I have seen many crossing roads still looking at their phones, and survive.

Written By: Howard on 06/22/16 at 2:39 pm

You're never gonna change how people act in this regard. You'd have to be pretty stupid to be reading your phone crossing a city street.

always look alive.

Written By: gibbo on 06/22/16 at 5:15 pm

If they are looking at their phones, they will never see these signs lol

Yep ... just more obstacles to bump into.  Those signs just may teach them a lesson  ... the hard way!  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/22/16 at 5:17 pm

Yep ... just more obstacles to bump into.  Those signs just may teach them a lesson  ... the hard way!  ;D
Place the signs at knee level?

Written By: Red Ant on 06/22/16 at 9:59 pm

The world is truly becoming a dumber place. I hope they use manhole covers to make the signs.

Ant

Written By: gibbo on 06/22/16 at 10:40 pm

The world is truly becoming a dumber place. I hope they use manhole covers to make the signs.

Ant

Excellent ... so they could also drop into uncovered manholes as well as bump into much harder signs! I'm sure they would create an app to guide them through these literal pitfalls!

Written By: Howard on 06/23/16 at 3:01 pm

Ant

I already know that.

Written By: 2001 on 06/24/16 at 9:53 pm

Excellent ... so they could also drop into uncovered manholes as well as bump into much harder signs! I'm sure they would create an app to guide them through these literal pitfalls!

On my first phone, the texting app had a "transparent background" that used the camera to show what was happening behind your phone while you were texting and walking. I disabled it though, the moving ground was distracting me from my texting  ;D

Written By: wixness on 07/20/16 at 4:17 am

If the phones use geolocation, why can't they warn its users of oncoming traffic?

Written By: 2001 on 07/20/16 at 12:36 pm

If the phones use geolocation, why can't they warn its users of oncoming traffic?

That would waste a lot of battery.

Written By: wixness on 07/20/16 at 2:23 pm

That would waste a lot of battery.

They sell battery packs. Then again, you don't have unlimited mobile data anymore.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/20/16 at 5:39 pm

They sell battery packs. Then again, you don't have unlimited mobile data anymore.

Couldn't you charge your phone by using a car charger? Pretty much any car has it nowadays. Especially with USB ones.

Written By: wixness on 07/20/16 at 5:48 pm

Couldn't you charge your phone by using a car charger? Pretty much any car has it nowadays. Especially with USB ones.

We need to invest more in IoT then.

Written By: 2001 on 07/20/16 at 8:24 pm

Hmm, it would still be wasteful ;D Best to just put your phone in your pocket or to look where you're going when crossing the street or in busy sidewalks.

Welcome to the boards by the way! :)

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/20/16 at 8:27 pm

Hmm, it would still be wasteful ;D Best to just put your phone in your pocket or to look where you're going when crossing the street or in busy sidewalks.

Welcome to the boards by the way! :)

Well, he's been around the boards since November of 2015. But I applaud your welcoming to wixness.

Written By: 2001 on 07/20/16 at 8:32 pm

Well, he's been around the boards since November of 2015. But I applaud your welcoming to wixness.

Oh, whoops. Fail.  :-[ *hides*

I should rephrase: Nice to meet you!  ;D

Written By: Looney Toon on 07/21/16 at 6:46 pm

http://ichef-1.bbci.co.uk/news/660/cpsprodpb/1813F/production/_90032689_signs.png

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-36576259

Wait wait wait how can "Smartphone zombies" notice the sign when they're too busy looking at their phones? I can see why some aren't convinced that the signs will be noticed. What's getting to me is the fact that people have gotten so immersed into their phones that they seem to have no mind of what's around them. An explosion could go off and they probably wouldn't notice it.

Check for new replies or respond here...