inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The 2010s are boring

Written By: Slim95 on 07/04/16 at 12:10 am

Have you guys noticed how boring this decade is? Yes, I realize a lot of world events are happening. But the pop culture is really lame and it isn't interesting. Even in the 2000s we had more focus on TV shows and celebrities. It was a lot more fun hearing new releases by artists. It seemed like in the 2000s we always had a new exciting technology being released straight to the public. While In the 10s we have new technology being planed and only a couple innovative tech releases in its early stages. Movies aren't as interesting as before too. I may be biased because I was a kid in the 00s and everything felt exciting to me back then. I can't say this decade lacks culture identity, but the culture is just so washed out and it isn't fun at all. Overall the 2010s seem very boring to me so far.

Subject: Re: The 2010s are boring

Written By: #Infinity on 07/04/16 at 12:16 am

I think it's pretty obvious which of us here think the 2010s are boring and unpleasant, versus those of us who consider the decade a breath of fresh air compared to the 2000s.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 07/04/16 at 12:46 am

To me they feel culturally boring but the rest of it feels extremely turbulent like a never-ending disaster that's bound to get worse.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 07/04/16 at 6:04 am

As of this month blink-182 has released the best Pop Punk album since 2003 so 2016 > 2004-2015.

Written By: TheKid99 on 07/04/16 at 9:29 am

2010s so far in my opinon other than the three worst years of my life, the early 2010s era, 2011-2013, have been fairly great. The Mid 2010s 2014-now have treated me very good.

I would not consider them boring however.... there are some aspects of pop culture I wish would just die out (TRAP just please!) the indie music aspect has been great. But it is a fairly great time to be a teenager and I will in the future be very nostalgic over this time period I can guarantee it.

As the first class of being almost all Gen Z... Class of 2018(Those born late 1999-mid 2000), we are the start of nearly 20 years of Gen Z kids. It feels very weird being at the start of the next generation, what comes next? How will we be remembered? since the media is still for some weird reason focused on Millennials when they should really start focusing on the next generation so that we dont catch them by surprise. Even though in 2007, I saw a car commercial that was like "Gen X will love this car" pretty much... when we graduate into a whole new world.... it will be something.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/04/16 at 9:36 am

I'm pretty sure making a thread like this isn't going to help the 2010s to become less boring. I'm already becoming bored of this decade since 2012, and it's just for the fact that it keeps annoying the living hell out of me for a while.

Written By: SpyroKev on 07/04/16 at 11:58 am

I'm pretty sure making a thread like this isn't going to help the 2010s to become less boring. I'm already becoming bored of this decade since 2012, and it's just for the fact that it keeps annoying the living hell out of me for a while.

Sometimes you feel the need to point it out.

My signature already spoke for me. Todays hard to miss politics is rating the mid 2010s for me. I only like 4 or 6 new songs within my specific genres of music.

Written By: violet_shy on 07/04/16 at 12:09 pm

Everyone is waiting for the 2020's decade I think.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/04/16 at 12:27 pm

Sometimes you feel the need to point it out.

My signature already spoke for me. Todays hard to miss politics is rating the mid 2010s for me. I only like 4 or 6 new songs within my specific genres of music.

Throughout this decade, politics seem to be a pain in everyone's ass. I don't know how people would think that this country would be great if we elect Trump as president. He has no prior political experience whatsoever and he's as stupid as the average Republican supporter nowadays. Although, those who supported Bush tend to disagree with him. With songs, I barely give a crap about them.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/04/16 at 2:12 pm

Everyone is waiting for the 2020's decade I think.

I know I am. I'm very excited for the 20s to arrive. Movies have been pretty bad too. Though we did get a couple good releases like Star Wars.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/04/16 at 2:19 pm

I know I am. I'm very excited for the 20s to arrive. Movies have been pretty bad too. Though we did get a couple good releases like Star Wars.

I hope the 2020s wouldn't be as corrupted as today.

Written By: Howard on 07/04/16 at 2:22 pm

To me they feel culturally boring but the rest of it feels extremely turbulent like a never-ending disaster that's bound to get worse.

I definitely agree, the music is garbage crap. :P

Written By: nintieskid999 on 07/04/16 at 3:05 pm

2010s so far in my opinon other than the three worst years of my life, the early 2010s era, 2011-2013, have been fairly great. The Mid 2010s 2014-now have treated me very good.

I would not consider them boring however.... there are some aspects of pop culture I wish would just die out (TRAP just please!) the indie music aspect has been great. But it is a fairly great time to be a teenager and I will in the future be very nostalgic over this time period I can guarantee it.

As the first class of being almost all Gen Z... Class of 2018(Those born late 1999-mid 2000), we are the start of nearly 20 years of Gen Z kids. It feels very weird being at the start of the next generation, what comes next? How will we be remembered? since the media is still for some weird reason focused on Millennials when they should really start focusing on the next generation so that we dont catch them by surprise. Even though in 2007, I saw a car commercial that was like "Gen X will love this car" pretty much... when we graduate into a whole new world.... it will be something.

Class of 2019 will be almost all Gen Z because Gen Z begins in 2001...... But yeah, I think that's when culture will really change.

I see 2016 as the equivalent of 1996 in the 90s. 1996 was Gen X and 2016 is Millennial. 1997 and 2017 is when things started to shift.... I think later 2018 or early 2019 we'll see an explosion in Gen Z culture, just like we saw in 1998/1999 for Millennials.

Written By: Ripley on 07/04/16 at 3:10 pm

This⇧

Written By: 2001 on 07/04/16 at 6:08 pm

I think it's pretty obvious which of us here think the 2010s are boring and unpleasant, versus those of us who consider the decade a breath of fresh air compared to the 2000s.

LOL, you know me  ;D

I had a lot of fun in the 2010s from all sorts of avenues. I think 2009-2014 will especially be the years I'll be nostalgic for and look back on. Late high school and university; those were my party years  :D

Written By: Slim95 on 07/04/16 at 6:18 pm

LOL, you know me  ;D

I had a lot of fun in the 2010s from all sorts of avenues. I think 2009-2014 will especially be the years I'll be nostalgic for and look back on. Late high school and university; those were my party years  :D

I have fond memories from 2010 and 2013. 2014-2016 felt boring to me for the most part and 2011-2012 was the worst time for my personal life. I'm also a little nostalgic for early 2015 because that's when I started university a lot of nice stuff was happening at the time despite the economic crisis. Even if it's hard I do try to find some stuff I like from this decade.  ;D

Written By: 2001 on 07/04/16 at 6:40 pm

As of this month blink-182 has released the best Pop Punk album since 2003 so 2016 > 2004-2015.

Can't stop playing Kings of the Weekend, No Future, Rabbit Hole and She's out of her mind :D

Written By: TheKid99 on 07/05/16 at 8:16 am

I think one thing that has made the mid 2010s great for me is that I am mostly optimistic.... optimism can do wonders even in bad situations.

Sort of weird this time next year we will be talking about the late 2010s.... :O
Hillary or Trump could be president...... which on either side I am not looking forward to....
Brexit that happened 2 weeks ago I think will be the catalyst for the real start of late 2010s politics... isolationism, nationalism and fear of globalism are making strides and may be apart of our political world.
I think Trump could surprise everyone and win.... it is much more of a possibility than most realize(Hillary has more of a chance of winning but Trump is not too far behind)... Brexit two weeks ago was a surprise to everyone....complacency leads to terrible things if things go awry.
Financial Markets have officially been flat for two years now...
Recession looks near for the Western World... its unavoidable... brexit is only the beginning... if Britain goes into Recession... most likely the US will follow due to how interconnected our economies are.
Economic inequality and the lost decade for the American Middle Class is going to reach a breaking point... something big is going to happen.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 07/05/16 at 8:22 am

If disaster comes I just hope it comes soon so we can just get it over with. I'm sick and tired of this crisis era and want it to end already.

Written By: Howard on 07/05/16 at 2:43 pm

If disaster comes I just hope it comes soon so we can just get it over with. I'm sick and tired of this crisis era and want it to end already.

What disaster are you talking about? ???

Written By: 80sfan on 07/05/16 at 2:49 pm

Pop culturally, it's really boring. :.yawn:.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/05/16 at 2:49 pm

You are not the only one. I feel like there are so many disasters ever since late 2014.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/05/16 at 2:49 pm

It was just excruciating to hear a lot of songs from this decade.

Written By: Howard on 07/05/16 at 3:20 pm

I know, what's so interesting about it? ::)

Written By: 80sfan on 07/05/16 at 3:25 pm

I know, what's so interesting about it? ::)

The movie I love from this decade is the Star Wars movie, it's good to me!  8)

Written By: Slim95 on 07/05/16 at 3:27 pm

The movie I love from this decade is the Star Wars movie, it's good to me!  8)

I agree. Best movie of the decade and one of the best movies of the century so far.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/05/16 at 3:32 pm

I agree. Best movie of the decade and one of the best movies of the century so far.

Oohhhhhhhhh.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 07/05/16 at 6:35 pm

Best movie of the decade?! Nah.
I think Avengers, Inception, Boyhood, were better than the new star wars.

Written By: mqg96 on 07/05/16 at 7:41 pm

Hahaha, I'm with ya bruh! The New Star Wars was a good movie, but think of all the Marvel Cinematic Universe movies we've had and the Hunger Games series too! I preferred those over it personally. I agree with Inception being better too, but I don't know about Boyhood though since I haven't seen it yet.

Written By: #Infinity on 07/05/16 at 7:47 pm

The Force Awakens is a highly entertaining film, but it's too riled with similarities to A New Hope to be considered a classic on the same level as the original trilogy.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/05/16 at 8:07 pm

The Force Awakens is a highly entertaining film, but it's too riled with similarities to A New Hope to be considered a classic on the same level as the original trilogy.

Well everyone has their opinions. My opinion is the last Star Wars movie was the best and almost as good as the originals. I never understood the argument that it's similar to a new hope. You can make that argument to a lot of movies and plots. But this isn't just my opinion; the reviews place it at almost a perfect score.

Written By: Emman on 07/06/16 at 12:08 am

On a pop cultural level they do seem pretty boring imo, too much rehashing and recycling in the culture, not enough creativity and innovation.

On a sociopolitical level plenty has been going on, we started the decade coming out the worst financial crisis since The Great Depression, had the Arab Spring/OWS protests in 2011, growing racial tensions, rising populism, nationalism, and xenophobia, Brexit, and Donald Trump as being potentially the president of the United States. It feels like the economic neoliberalism that's been dominant since the Reagan era is finally getting severe backlash from the public.

Written By: KatanaChick on 07/06/16 at 12:23 am

Have you guys noticed how boring this decade is? Yes, I realize a lot of world events are happening. But the pop culture is really lame and it isn't interesting. Even in the 2000s we had more focus on TV shows and celebrities. It was a lot more fun hearing new releases by artists. It seemed like in the 2000s we always had a new exciting technology being released straight to the public. While In the 10s we have new technology being planed and only a couple innovative tech releases in its early stages. Movies aren't as interesting as before too. I may be biased because I was a kid in the 00s and everything felt exciting to me back then. I can't say this decade lacks culture identity, but the culture is just so washed out and it isn't fun at all. Overall the 2010s seem very boring to me so far.

It's what you make of it. I don't like what's going on in the world any more than the next person, but it's beyond my control. I do have a choice in the pop culture I consume. Don't like the celebrities, shows, songs, movies everyone raves about? Look around and find something more your taste. Yes, there should be. I've found things I like, then again I've never been big on the kind media everyone talks about, so it's easy for me to find alternatives. I'm not fond of all the copycat reality shows, auto tuned songs, and don't plan on downloading every social app I hear about. Who said I had to like any of that in the first place? I can listen to rock stations and find music that's new to me that I like, watch sitcom re-runs I prefer or crime solving shows on ID, and just stick to the media I know. I don't have to go see the latest superhero movie everyone gets excited for, it's not my taste. I can wait for a fantasy or book based movie to come out instead. Popular doesn't=good. I think you might be going through burnout that life was more exciting when you were younger. I completely get that, I think everything feels more "magical" then.

Written By: #Infinity on 07/06/16 at 12:43 am

Well everyone has their opinions. My opinion is the last Star Wars movie was the best and almost as good as the originals. I never understood the argument that it's similar to a new hope. You can make that argument to a lot of movies and plots. But this isn't just my opinion; the reviews place it at almost a perfect score.

Well, here you go...

Rey = Luke
Finn = Leia
Poe = Han
Han = Obi-Wan
Kylo Ren = Darth Vader
Snoke = Emperor Palpatine
Maz Kanata = Yoda

Jakku = Tatooine
Takodana = Yavin
D'Qar = Hoth

Plot: A prodigy adolescent separated from their long lost parents lives on a desert planet, becomes entangled with the galactic conflict and eventually emerges a hero. Along the way, the protagonist comes across a veteran of the fabled past who becomes their mentor, only to die at the hands of the dark lord aboard their giant structure. Eventually, after some deliberate planning, the rebellion emerges victorious in the battle that may signal the shift of the war's current.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 07/06/16 at 4:04 am

This.
I enjoyed the new star wars :), but it honestly could have been MUCH better. ::) I hope Rouge Nation is better. It looks BEAST!!!! :D

Written By: Slim95 on 07/06/16 at 10:03 am

Well, here you go...

Rey = Luke
Finn = Leia
Poe = Han
Han = Obi-Wan
Kylo Ren = Darth Vader
Snoke = Emperor Palpatine
Maz Kanata = Yoda

Jakku = Tatooine
Takodana = Yavin
D'Qar = Hoth

Plot: A prodigy adolescent separated from their long lost parents lives on a desert planet, becomes entangled with the galactic conflict and eventually emerges a hero. Along the way, the protagonist comes across a veteran of the fabled past who becomes their mentor, only to die at the hands of the dark lord aboard their giant structure. Eventually, after some deliberate planning, the rebellion emerges victorious in the battle that may signal the shift of the war's current.

Still not sold.  ;) I've watched all the Star Wars movies many times, and I still think The Force Awakens is amazing. But that's my opinion.  :)

Written By: #Infinity on 07/06/16 at 10:12 am

Still not sold.  ;) I've watched all the Star Wars movies many times, and I still think The Force Awakens is amazing. But that's my opinion.  :)

Even if you adore the movie, can't you at least trace some of the parallels between it and A New Hope?

Written By: Slim95 on 07/06/16 at 11:04 am

Even if you adore the movie, can't you at least trace some of the parallels between it and A New Hope?

The thing is I don't find it an issue. Most modern Sci-Fi movies have a similar plot. It's not exclusive to Star Wars.  So that's why I never understood why people disliked it because they said it was similar.

Written By: #Infinity on 07/06/16 at 9:52 pm

The thing is I don't find it an issue. Most modern Sci-Fi movies have a similar plot. It's not exclusive to Star Wars.  So that's why I never understood why people disliked it because they said it was similar.

I will say that the prequel trilogy, in spite of all the backlash it attracted, was actually rather original as far as its plots went. They seemed to more closely model real world politics, with some cheesy elements to keep a broad audience entertained. It didn't work for most people, but it was at least experimenting.

Frankly, I strongly feel it was due to the negative feedback the off-colour prequel trilogy received that the first movie of the sequel trilogy was so similar to A New Hope. People did not want to be reminded of what had tarnished the franchise 16 to 10 years prior, so they wanted a fresh, back to basics approach with classic characters, lots of thrilling action sequences, and a swift, easy-to-follow plot that wasn't bogged down in politics and misguided stereotypes. Far and large, this approach has so far actually worked, as The Force Awakens became the third movie to break $2 billion at the box office, just missing Titanic, and garnered far more positive overall reviews from both fans and critics than any of the prequels. We might get something a bit more original for the coming two entries in the Star Wars saga, but I doubt it'll step too far out of what the fans specifically underlined as the series' comfort zone.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/06/16 at 9:59 pm

I will say that the prequel trilogy, in spite of all the backlash it attracted, was actually rather original as far as its plots went. They seemed to more closely model real world politics, with some cheesy elements to keep a broad audience entertained. It didn't work for most people, but it was at least experimenting.

Frankly, I strongly feel it was due to the negative feedback the off-colour prequel trilogy received that the first movie of the sequel trilogy was so similar to A New Hope. People did not want to be reminded of what had tarnished the franchise 16 to 10 years prior, so they wanted a fresh, back to basics approach with classic characters, lots of thrilling action sequences, and a swift, easy-to-follow plot that wasn't bogged down in politics and misguided stereotypes. Far and large, this approach has so far actually worked, as The Force Awakens became the third movie to break $2 billion at the box office, just missing Titanic, and garnered far more positive overall reviews from both fans and critics than any of the prequels. We might get something a bit more original for the coming two entries in the Star Wars saga, but I doubt it'll step too far out of what the fans specifically underlined as the series' comfort zone.

Yeah I am one of those people who disliked the prequels. That's why I am happy they made it completely different than the prequels and made it more similar to the original movie.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/06/16 at 10:52 pm

Anything but Phantom Menace!  8-P  8-P

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 07/08/16 at 12:40 am

Anything but Phantom Menace!  8-P  8-P

I hated Attack of the Clones MUCH MUCH more than Phantom Menace.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/08/16 at 9:21 am

Yeah same here. That was the worst Star Wars movie in my opinion.

Written By: #Infinity on 07/08/16 at 10:13 am

Yeah, Attack of the Clones was basically filler and hardly even lives up to its title. The Phantom Menace actually has a grand, epic story whose potential is just not fully realized. If the characters and dialogue were better-written, it probably could've been on par with the original trilogy.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/08/16 at 10:52 am

Yeah, that prequel trilogy was very flawed. I just thought Phantom Menace was boring, though.

Written By: wixness on 07/20/16 at 4:14 am

The songs of this decade have no soul and the way guys wear their hair makes it seem like they're a bunch of sexists again. Plus, our games have been too simplified (bar GTA V) as it's all about the graphics these days.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/20/16 at 5:58 am

The songs of this decade have no soul and the way guys wear their hair makes it seem like they're a bunch of sexists again. Plus, our games have been too simplified (bar GTA V) as it's all about the graphics these days.

Well, you could blame the Playstation and Xbox fanboys. Although, they aren't as bad as Nintendo fanboys, since all they do is praise a company that hasn't done good sh*t since the Wii U was released.

Written By: wixness on 07/20/16 at 6:24 am

Well, you could blame the Playstation and Xbox fanboys. Although, they aren't as bad as Nintendo fanboys, since all they do is praise a company that hasn't done good sh*t since the Wii U was released.

I'm talking about Saints Row 2, which came out on PS3 and Xbox 360, and also had a poor PC port. None of its features I could find in any other game with only GTA V coming close outside of that game series (see my sig and my PerC page). It has really been all about the graphics for games outside of Nintendo (e.g. DOOM, which has been criticised for lacking that horror element it had in past games), but Nintendo's games stopped being my taste almost as soon as I got into PS3 games.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/20/16 at 6:30 am

I'm talking about Saints Row 2, which came out on PS3 and Xbox 360, and also had a poor PC port. None of its features I could find in any other game with only GTA V coming close outside of that game series (see my sig and my PerC page). It has really been all about the graphics for games outside of Nintendo (e.g. DOOM, which has been criticised for lacking that horror element it had in past games), but Nintendo's games stopped being my taste almost as soon as I got into PS3 games.

Well, Saints Row 2 seems good towards gameplay. Same with Mafia II (despite being released in 2010).

Written By: wixness on 07/20/16 at 6:31 am

Well, Saints Row 2 seems good towards gameplay. Same with Mafia II (despite being released in 2010).

Yeah; most games seem to copy each other nowadays. The newer Saints Row games feel a lot more like CoD because they lack features. Heck, even Call of Duty's innovating, what with jetpacks (not seen before probably Advanced Warfare), while Saints Row: The Third removed the ability to occupy all four seats of a 2+2 convertible, for instance. I'll remind you why else:

http://personalitycafe.com/video-games/826473-saints-row-2-aka-volition-inc-s-neglected-child-prodigy.html

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/20/16 at 6:51 am

Yeah; most games seem to copy each other nowadays. The newer Saints Row games feel a lot more like CoD because they lack features. Heck, even Call of Duty's innovating, what with jetpacks (not seen before probably Advanced Warfare), while Saints Row: The Third removed the ability to occupy all four seats of a 2+2 convertible, for instance. I'll remind you why else:

http://personalitycafe.com/video-games/826473-saints-row-2-aka-volition-inc-s-neglected-child-prodigy.html

Um, as I'm not a big fan of the Saints Row franchise (only a fan of Saints Row 2), it doesn't seem to matter on what stuff have they removed towards the later games. It's not like the same with Mafia III, where they basically improved everything from what Mafia II had and nobody gets upset about it.

Written By: Slim95 on 12/26/19 at 3:39 pm

I didn't know what was waiting for us when I wrote this post, I can't believe the 2010s got even more boring since I made this thread. This is the most boring decade ever.  8-P

Written By: piecesof93 on 12/26/19 at 3:43 pm

I was just thinking...2016 feels different from 2019 despite being only 3 years ago. So I think in 2-3 more years we're going to get something else different. It's not too long of a wait. I'm looking forward to seeing what's in store.

Written By: Slim95 on 12/26/19 at 3:51 pm

I was just thinking...2016 feels different from 2019 despite being only 3 years ago. So I think in 2-3 more years we're going to get something else different. It's not too long of a wait. I'm looking forward to seeing what's in store.

I don't think much has changed since 2016, it has only been 3 years after all (although 2015 is a different story) but pop culture and music for sure has gotten worse.

Written By: 2001 on 12/26/19 at 3:55 pm

I don't agree. There were countless fun trends this decade from dubstep to Pokémon GO to Stranger Things. Whether you chose to get involved in them is up to you, but don't say it's boring just because you chose to stay at home. *shrugs*

Written By: 2001 on 12/26/19 at 4:01 pm

LOL, you know me  ;D

Ooo, I would add 2015 to that, and 2018 was great too in a more adult way. I think 2017 was the only year I was bored, but I have myself to blame for that when I know it's considered one of the greatest years in gaming.

Written By: mc98 on 12/26/19 at 4:09 pm

I agree 2016 does look sorta different looking back.

Written By: 2001 on 12/26/19 at 4:12 pm

I agree 2016 does look sorta different looking back.

2016 is another world to me. It was still undercuts, hipsters and indie rock. Now we got curtain hair, eboys and trap country (yikes).

Written By: Slim95 on 12/26/19 at 4:14 pm

2016 is another world to me. It was still undercuts, hipsters and indie rock. Now we got curtain hair, eboys and trap country (yikes).

I'm surprised you think that given you live in Canada just like me. Justin Trudeau was prime minister in 2016 just as he is now. I understand Americans though because they still had Obama, but Trump was still very much in the picture in 2016.

Written By: 2001 on 12/26/19 at 4:27 pm

I'm surprised you think that given you live in Canada just like me. Justin Trudeau was prime minister in 2016 just as he is now. I understand Americans though because they still had Obama, but Trump was still very much in the picture in 2016.

In terms of Canada, here in Ontario in 2016 the economy still had a very post-recession dreary feel to it. Many of my friends found it difficult to find jobs. In 2017, the Toronto housing bubble happened, and the economy really started roaring and my friends not only got employed but started spending like there was no tomorrow, so that's another difference.

Also, I wouldn't say American politics didn't have any impact on us. I never heard a Canadian say "SJW" before 2017. It sounded so silly and childish. "Identity politics" also used to mean specifically Quebec identitarian politics, but now it's used even for things like feminism. These are very subtle changes though.

Written By: Howard on 12/27/19 at 7:04 am

I don't think much has changed since 2016, it has only been 3 years after all (although 2015 is a different story) but pop culture and music for sure has gotten worse.

And mass shootings have risen too.

Check for new replies or respond here...