inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Nintendo announces the Mini-NES

Written By: violet_shy on 07/14/16 at 12:23 pm

The full article can be found here: http://kotaku.com/nintendo-announces-the-mini-nes-will-play-30-classic-g-1783660997

Subject: Re: Nintendo announces the Mini-NES

Written By: mqg96 on 07/14/16 at 12:25 pm

Haven't touched my Wii in a long time, but I wouldn't mind spending my money on this! That's if Super Mario Bros 1-3 is included!

Written By: mqg96 on 07/14/16 at 12:26 pm

I already know the Sega Genesis had something similar to this too.

Written By: violet_shy on 07/14/16 at 12:29 pm

I getting it for my nephews!

There are 30 classic games, including The Legend of Zelda.

Written By: #Infinity on 07/14/16 at 12:38 pm

What's even the point of this? Is it a portable gaming system? Does it function similarly to the upcoming NX? Doesn't Nintendo already have the virtual console for the 3DS, which a lot of kids already own? It's truly evident that Nintendo's desperate nostalgia for what once was isn't slowing down anytime soon.

Written By: violet_shy on 07/14/16 at 12:56 pm

What's even the point of this? Is it a portable gaming system? Does it function similarly to the upcoming NX? Doesn't Nintendo already have the virtual console for the 3DS, which a lot of kids already own? It's truly evident that Nintendo's desperate nostalgia for what once was isn't slowing down anytime soon.

Aw, I think it's nice! I'm sure all gamers love classic games, and to me this would be fun to own.  :)

Written By: mqg96 on 07/14/16 at 1:06 pm

I had all the classic Mario platform games on my Wii virtual console from the NES to the N64, including Super Mario Bros 2: Lost Levels (Japan) that never had an original release in America.

Written By: #Infinity on 07/14/16 at 1:17 pm

Aw, I think it's nice! I'm sure all gamers love classic games, and to me this would be fun to own.  :)

I feel though that even if you're part of the niched Classic gaming community, you may as well just buy a used NES with cartridges. That's more authentically retro, anyway, than a portable system to be released this year. I think the Mini-NES might have been cooler had it come out around the early or mid-2000s, but today, the portable market is already controlled by touchscreen phones and 3DS's. It doesn't help that the thing is $60, either.

Written By: 2001 on 07/14/16 at 1:44 pm

I want a mini-SNES! That way I don't have to buy a New 3DS for the SNES VC ;D

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 07/14/16 at 1:52 pm

No RC Pro-Am???  :( :( :(

Written By: Howard on 07/14/16 at 3:53 pm

The full article can be found here: http://kotaku.com/nintendo-announces-the-mini-nes-will-play-30-classic-g-1783660997

Wow, I used to play Nintendo 30 years ago, this is something I might pay money for. :)

Written By: Howard on 07/14/16 at 3:54 pm

Why should it slow down?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/14/16 at 4:02 pm

That sounds cool. I didn't grew up with an actual NES, since I didn't really play a lot of console games until I was 8. So, this is interesting to me.

Written By: #Infinity on 07/14/16 at 4:15 pm

Why should it slow down?

Nintendo has been constantly rehashing old ideas and themes over the past several years instead of investing more time and care into newer ideas of theirs. It feels like they're just repackaging all of their games from the 80s, 90s, and 2000s as "new" as a cheap alternative to making games and systems that long-term fans have a true reason to purchase. Their numerous "old school" games may have made millions for them before mobile phone and tablet games became popular, but this is not the late 2000s, this is a dire era in which Nintendo is rapidly becomingly completely irrelevant to the traditional gaming market due to their poor business decisions and overconfidence.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/14/16 at 6:16 pm

I already know the Sega Genesis had something similar to this too.

Was it like this?

http://videogamecritic.com/images/systems2/gen_classic.jpg

Written By: #Infinity on 07/14/16 at 6:37 pm

Was it like this?

http://videogamecritic.com/images/systems2/gen_classic.jpg

That thing is much closer to an authentic retro gaming console than the Mini-NES, especially since it's compatible with actual Genesis cartridges and isn't just limited to a small handful of games that were already rereleased on the Virtual Console.

Written By: KatanaChick on 07/14/16 at 7:02 pm

Now that's cool! Very nostalgia-y! I notice early Castlevania is on there plus the Marios and Donkey Kong!  :D I've only played the Mario ones, not original Castlevania or Donkey Kong, my first system was SNES.

I feel though that even if you're part of the niched Classic gaming community, you may as well just buy a used NES with cartridges. That's more authentically retro, anyway, than a portable system to be released this year. I think the Mini-NES might have been cooler had it come out around the early or mid-2000s, but today, the portable market is already controlled by touchscreen phones and 3DS's. It doesn't help that the thing is $60, either.

It's easier for people who prefer not going through the hassle of finding one and hunting down all the games they want to play to go with it. Maybe they just have a hankering to play a particular game over again? Like say Mario or Zelda or one of the popular ones. It would be nice if these games were available for android phones, but the phones need better battery life before that becomes worth it.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/14/16 at 7:11 pm

That thing is much closer to an authentic retro gaming console than the Mini-NES, especially since it's compatible with actual Genesis cartridges and isn't just limited to a small handful of games that were already rereleased on the Virtual Console.

But I was just showing mqg96 on what was he talking about, when he mentioned the Genesis had a similar nostalgia console like the mini-NES.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 07/14/16 at 11:33 pm

I'm mildly interested in this. My NES hasn't worked in almost a decade, there's alot of great games on here, and I like the HDMI hookup option. On the other hand, the fact that it lacks the ability to play original carts is a big disappointment. I also didn't see TMNT III on that list anywhere, either. >:(

At the end of the day, I'll probably just stick to emulation. :P

Written By: mqg96 on 07/14/16 at 11:36 pm

I want a mini-SNES! That way I don't have to buy a New 3DS for the SNES VC ;D

That would be totally epic! More epic than a mini NES by a landslide. Super Mario World and Super Mario All-Stars together! Even better, some Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat games along with it!

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/15/16 at 6:13 am

I'm mildly interested in this. My NES hasn't worked in almost a decade, there's alot of great games on here, and I like the HDMI hookup option. On the other hand, the fact that it lacks the ability to play original carts is a big disappointment. I also didn't see TMNT III on that list anywhere, either. >:(

I'll just say that emulators for the NES just seem bland. I know that the NES is a really basic console for Nintendo, especially when it was released in the mid 80s. But it also seems like that whenever it's on an emulator. It might be my preference to play SNES and N64 games on emulators, since they have more options.

Written By: Howard on 07/15/16 at 8:48 am

You can play free Nintendo games online.

Written By: #Infinity on 07/15/16 at 10:29 am

It's easier for people who prefer not going through the hassle of finding one and hunting down all the games they want to play to go with it. Maybe they just have a hankering to play a particular game over again? Like say Mario or Zelda or one of the popular ones. It would be nice if these games were available for android phones, but the phones need better battery life before that becomes worth it.

We already have enough convenience as is, and I don't even think most kids these days would want to play 8-bit games from 30 years ago, at least not enough that this is a worthwhile investment. I'd rather see Nintendo produce more games and systems that are new and interesting, not frolicking behind it long lost glory days. I'm not against introducing retro video games to newer generations - in fact, I support it - but I just think the Virtual Console is more than enough, even if the Mini-NES comes with a controller.

Written By: Howard on 07/15/16 at 3:46 pm

We already have enough convenience as is, and I don't even think most kids these days would want to play 8-bit games from 30 years ago, at least not enough that this is a worthwhile investment. I'd rather see Nintendo produce more games and systems that are new and interesting, not frolicking behind it long lost glory days. I'm not against introducing retro video games to newer generations - in fact, I support it - but I just think the Virtual Console is more than enough, even if the Mini-NES comes with a controller.

and a cheat code list too.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 07/15/16 at 9:58 pm

I might be considering getting this. :o

Written By: Howard on 07/16/16 at 7:29 am

I might be considering getting this. :o

it could sell like hotcakes.  :o

Written By: Looney Toon on 07/16/16 at 8:29 am

Yeah, I was disappointed to find out that the Mini-Nes will only have a limited number of games. That Genesis consoles had pre-installed games and you can also use your old cartridges. Makes me wonder what's Nintendo's excuse for lacking the use of catridges or downloadable games. Not trying to throw flame at the Mini-Nes, but what's the point of it when there are already Virtual consoles on all latest Nintendo consoles? Nintendo consoles that can allow for over 30 virtual console games. But hey I guess if I don't like it I just won't buy it as the logic goes.

Written By: KatanaChick on 07/16/16 at 9:06 am

Kids probably wouldn't, but older gamers wanting that nostalgia in their hands might. I know two people IRL who are all excited about this. This doesn't mean they can't or won't create anything new in the future. It might end up as just a fad novelty item for people to get their nostalgia kick.

Written By: mqg96 on 07/16/16 at 11:23 am

Kids probably wouldn't, but older gamers wanting that nostalgia in their hands might. I know two people IRL who are all excited about this. This doesn't mean they can't or won't create anything new in the future. It might end up as just a fad novelty item for people to get their nostalgia kick.

I wasn't alive to experience the NES in its prime but I'd still get the mini-NES, because of Super Mario Bros 1-3 being included in there, and I love the Super Mario Bros series 2-D & 3-D platform from the original Super Mario Bros. to Super Mario Galaxy 2 (1985-2010) except for Sunshine not counting Paper Mario or Mario spin-off series.

Written By: Looney Toon on 07/16/16 at 11:44 am

Was never the biggest Mini-NES fan, but I do hope that it becomes successful to the point that they make a mini-SNES and mini-N64.

Written By: Howard on 07/16/16 at 2:15 pm

I can see kids playing with it with their friends on the street.

Written By: Howard on 07/16/16 at 2:17 pm

question now is, will they come up with a mini Atari, a mini XBOX, a mini Sega, so on and so forth.

Written By: Looney Toon on 07/16/16 at 2:19 pm

question now is, will they come up with a mini Atari, a mini XBOX, a mini Sega, so on and so forth.

We need that mini-Xbox cause god knows the original Xbox was too big.  ;)  But something tells me that companies are waiting to see how all this ends up. If the Mini NES is popular then we may see more mini consoles.

What's funny is that I remember Nintendo release a mini Wii a while back.

Written By: Howard on 07/16/16 at 2:25 pm

We need that mini-Xbox cause god knows the original Xbox was too big.  ;)  But something tells me that companies are waiting to see how all this ends up. If the Mini NES is popular then we may see more mini consoles.

What's funny is that I remember Nintendo release a mini Wii a while back.

I can't wait to see that.

Check for new replies or respond here...