inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Rock music is making a comeback!

Written By: Slim95 on 07/17/16 at 10:16 pm

It seems like all the popular rock bands from the early 2000s are coming back this year. Blink 182 and Sum 41 are back with new songs and I hear Green Day is making a new album as well. Here are the songs:

lic0oCDMfwk 

waixG1Dhr3w

Subject: Re: Rock music is making a comeback!

Written By: Slim95 on 07/17/16 at 10:35 pm

Good Charlotte released a new song too.

tXTHuQUKIwo

Written By: 2001 on 07/17/16 at 11:11 pm

The blink-182 album is amazing. The Sum 41 song was decent enough, I'd say far from their early-mid 2000s peak. I'm mostly just happy everyone is healthy and back to making music. Good Charlotte has never really gone away. This song is better than their 2015 song at least, that one was embarrassing lol.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/18/16 at 6:29 am

Well, at least there's some kind of rock in this year.

Written By: #Infinity on 07/18/16 at 12:25 pm

Unfortunately, these new rock releases are hardly making an impact on mainstream music. Though the blink album has sold pretty well, "Bored to Death" has hardly made a dent in any non-rock charts, essentially a continuation of all real rock songs since 2011.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/18/16 at 12:39 pm

Unfortunately, these new rock releases are hardly making an impact on mainstream music. Though the blink album has sold pretty well, "Bored to Death" has hardly made a dent in any non-rock charts, essentially a continuation of all real rock songs since 2011.

There's still time though so Bored to Death may go higher in the charts. It reached Billboard Hot 100 so that's a start. Plus the album went number one on ITunes.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/18/16 at 1:39 pm

Especially when the song panders to people who listened to blink-182 in the early 2000s.

Written By: 2001 on 07/18/16 at 1:56 pm

Well, at least there's some kind of rock in this year.

Rock never really went away, it just stopped being popular. There are still hundreds of great rock songs released every year.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/18/16 at 2:00 pm

Rock never really went away, it just stopped being popular. There are still hundreds of great rock songs released every year.

Yeah, but it's not like people would listen to rock nowadays, since it has no fame towards this decade. Especially heavy metal, which never really made any songs since the early 2010s.

Written By: Ripley on 07/18/16 at 3:40 pm

I wonder what Jordan thinks about it 😜 I was into Green Day when they released Dookie. That's the first punk music I got into. Around the time of American Idiot though their music hasn't been so good. But good for them still sticking around, and with their original line up. I was really into both Blink and GC back when they were all big. I bet their comebacks are good.

Written By: sonikuu on 07/21/16 at 9:57 am

I mean, it's nice and all, but these are all bands that are well over a decade old.  Not exactly the popular new blood the genre needs in the mainstream.

Written By: Looney Toon on 07/21/16 at 10:10 am

I mean, it's nice and all, but these are all bands that are well over a decade old.  Not exactly the popular new blood the genre needs in the mainstream.

New bands would be awesome rather than a revival of old bands. Once those older bands disappear than what happens next?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/21/16 at 10:15 am

New bands would be awesome rather than a revival of old bands. Once those older bands disappear than what happens next?

If this decade was more original, we could've gotten more rock bands into the mix.

Written By: Looney Toon on 07/21/16 at 10:18 am

If this decade was more original, we could've gotten more rock bands into the mix.

More rock bands who'd probably even invent new styles of rock music or something. But this decade is more concerned about bringing old things back rather then making new things it seems.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/21/16 at 11:41 am

More rock bands who'd probably even invent new styles of rock music or something. But this decade is more concerned about bringing old things back rather then making new things it seems.

Yeah. Pretty much anything with pop culture had to be remade, according to these people. They don't realize that the companies have to entertain kids, considering they aren't the only people who they are trying to pander towards.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 07/22/16 at 1:06 am

I wouldn't call older bands with established fan bases making moderate hits a "comeback".

Written By: wixness on 07/23/16 at 11:40 am

I wouldn't call older bands with established fan bases making moderate hits a "comeback".

I agree. Rock music would be considered trendy IMO if they can make it on TV and/or radio regularly and/or there are bands with a new fanbase. Today's "rock music", if there is any, seems way too tame.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/23/16 at 11:51 am

I agree. Rock music would be considered trendy IMO if they can make it on TV and/or radio regularly and/or there are bands with a new fanbase. Today's "rock music", if there is any, seems way too tame.

Rock music today just sounds the same from the early 2000s, which is totally unoriginal.

Written By: Howard on 07/23/16 at 2:12 pm

Rock music today just sounds the same from the early 2000s, which is totally unoriginal.

Rock music back in the 80's had better sound.

Written By: #Infinity on 07/23/16 at 10:10 pm

That was already quite the case in the 1990s, during which pretty much half of all pop songs knocked off an older track from another decade, maybe adding a rap, but otherwise just repackaging the whole thing. George Michael's "Fastlove" was once one of my favorite pop songs of 1996, but then once I found out that the innovative bridge section towards the end of the track was little more than an interpolation of an early 80s hit, "Forget Me Nots," I decided the song sadly wasn't the structurally ambitious new-jack swing masterpiece I originally thought it was.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 08/07/16 at 2:09 am

Good Charlotte has never really gone away. This song is better than their 2015 song at least, that one was embarrassing lol.

Are you referring to the song "We Are Done"? The song was released under the "Madden Brothers", not Good Charlotte.

Written By: 2001 on 08/07/16 at 4:46 pm

Are you referring to the song "We Are Done"? The song was released under the "Madden Brothers", not Good Charlotte.

I was talking about Makeshift Love. Welcome to the boards BTW! :)

Written By: Wesof95 on 08/16/16 at 3:40 am

You guys should check out Green Day's new song "Bang Bang". It's high energy and sounds REALLY good.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 08/17/16 at 2:12 am

Maybe rock will make a comeback. blink started off incredibly with California and Bored to Death and now Green Day's Bang Bang is already getting a whole major ton of buzz. I hope things keep up the pace because I'm really looking forward to all these new releases!

Written By: Howard on 08/17/16 at 8:13 am

Maybe rock will make a comeback. blink started off incredibly with California and Bored to Death and now Green Day's Bang Bang is already getting a whole major ton of buzz. I hope things keep up the pace because I'm really looking forward to all these new releases!

I wanna see rock from the Woodstock Era come back and make a return.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 08/17/16 at 5:44 pm

I wanna see rock from the Woodstock Era come back and make a return.

'69, '94 or, god forbid, '99?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/17/16 at 5:53 pm

I guess it would be a revival for the 1969 festival, since that's the most famous one.

Written By: Howard on 08/18/16 at 7:49 am

1969, the era of peace love and happiness.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 08/18/16 at 3:59 pm

Come on, Howard. Everyone knows your favorite Woodstock was 1999. ;)

Written By: Howard on 08/19/16 at 7:47 am

Come on, Howard. Everyone knows your favorite Woodstock was 1999. ;)

I wasn't there, never experienced it.

Check for new replies or respond here...