inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 2017: A Transitional Year?

Written By: Slim95 on 07/23/16 at 7:26 pm

I mentioned this in other threads, but I think 2017 will be a transitional year full of change. I may be wrong, but I do have a feeling at this time next year, things will be very different than now. I think 2016 is the last full year of mid 2010s culture. What do you guys think? Here is a list of a couple changes and developments expected next year:

There will be a new U.S. president in office
Google will release "Project Ara" modular smartphone to the public
Samsung said to release its first foldable smartphone
Nintendo NX gets released in March 2017
VR will continue to grow with even more consumer devices at a lower price
More electric vehicles sold and continued growth of autonomous vehicles
Marijuana said to be legalized (in Canada)
Oil prices will rise back up which will greatly improve the economy
Microsoft Hololens will hit the shelves late 2017-early 2018
(Prediction): Pokemon Go will transform from just a game to the next big social media app, taking users away from older social media platforms like Twitter and Facebook  ;D
Social media will shift into an AR/VR focus (Pokemon Go being the first step)

Subject: Re: 2017: A Transitional Year?

Written By: #Infinity on 07/23/16 at 7:43 pm

I think it's pretty safe to say that we'll be in a very different place next year than we have been during the mid-2010s in general. Pokémon GO alone is enough to distinguish even the present from 2013-early 2016. However, it's still very up in the air when and how fashion and music will change, not to mention we can't yet say whether the 2016-2017 or 2017-2018 tv season will be more transformative.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/23/16 at 7:51 pm

Did Scream begin the late 90's, culturally?

As for 2017, oh, it'll be interesting, alright. With either Hillary, or Trump, in office, we'll see.  :D

Written By: #Infinity on 07/23/16 at 7:56 pm

Only partially. The real start of the cultural late 90s was the dawn of spring 1997, when "Wannabe" reached American shores, No Limit released Tru 2 Da Game, "Can't Nobody Hold Me Down" ushered in the era of shiny suit rap, Buffy the Vampire Slayer premiered on tv, and Mario Kart 64 popularized 4-player video games.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/23/16 at 8:26 pm

As for 2017, oh, it'll be interesting, alright. With either Hillary, or Trump, in office, we'll see.  :D

Well, it was released in 1996. However, the first two sequels were culturally late 90s (Scream 2 in 1997 and Scream 3 in early 2000). Although, it didn't really start the cultural late 90s, per se.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 07/23/16 at 8:55 pm

I think it's safe to say that if Trump wins the election the late '10s will have a radically different feel than the Obama era mid '10s. I foresee four years of economic downturn, possible large scale military conflict, and increasing social unrest on a much larger scale than even what we've seen recently in places like Ferguson and Baltimore. It could potentially be the darkest time our nation has faced since the Jimmy Carter years of 1977-81.

I know that sounds dire, but, remember, my predictions on this site are usually completely wrong, so you probably have nothing to worry about. ;D

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/23/16 at 8:58 pm

I think it's safe to say that if Trump wins the election the late '10s will have a radically different feel than the Obama era mid '10s. I foresee four years of economic downturn, possible large scale military conflict, and increasing social unrest on a much larger scale than even what we've seen recently in places like Ferguson and Baltimore. It could potentially be the darkest time our nation has faced since the Jimmy Carter years of 1977-81.

I know that sounds dire, but, remember, my predictions on this site are usually completely wrong, so you probably have nothing to worry about. ;D

Well, that sounds unpleasant.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/23/16 at 9:14 pm

Only partially. The real start of the cultural late 90s was the dawn of spring 1997, when "Wannabe" reached American shores, No Limit released Tru 2 Da Game, "Can't Nobody Hold Me Down" ushered in the era of shiny suit rap, Buffy the Vampire Slayer premiered on tv, and Mario Kart 64 popularized 4-player video games.

Sounds like 2017 will be full on late 10's.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/23/16 at 9:17 pm

Well, it was released in 1996. However, the first two sequels were culturally late 90s (Scream 2 in 1997 and Scream 3 in early 2000). Although, it didn't really start the cultural late 90s, per se.

For horror movies, Scream inspired I Know What You Did Last Summer, and Halloween H2O.

Written By: Looney Toon on 07/24/16 at 3:49 am

I mentioned this in other threads, but I think 2017 will be a transitional year full of change. I may be wrong, but I do have a feeling at this time next year, things will be very different than now. I think 2016 is the last full year of mid 2010s culture. What do you guys think? Here is a list of a couple changes and developments expected next year:

(Prediction): Pokemon Go will transform from just a game to the next big social media app, taking users away from older social media platforms like Twitter and Facebook  ;D

Seems like 2017 may end up being transitional. And add what Infinity said  about Pokemon GO (which one could argue that the game helped bring Pokemon even more popular) and a few other things such as new late 10's tech and you got yourself an era that could stand a part from the present. Due to being slightly bored of the 2010s I can go for a transition to a new era in terms of culture and stuff. Just hope the future hopes a lively and upbeat culture. Is that too much to ask? Tired of all this emotional depressing stuff.

Written By: TheKid99 on 07/24/16 at 7:26 am

Would agree with everything except oil prices... oil prices are not going to reach 2014 levels for a LONG LONG time, the world has entirely too much oil right now and a glut in oil takes years to sort through... It took Oil 13 years from 1986-1999 for it to bottom at 10$ a barrel in Early 1999, though we live in much different times, I dont see it getting above 70$ unless we all of a sudden have a huge shortage in oil.

I think the Late 2010s has started already and we will see in the future that the release of Pokemon GO started that transition.... something feels different in the air this month compared to say May.... the world seems to be getting darker... my personal life is still on a significant uptrend and I got a job this month...

I can tell you no matter if its Hillary or Trump we are f*cked.... the economy is going to go into recession before this decade is over and it will not be pretty as the Central banks have almost no policy tools to fight another recession... it will be more painful than it should be, a liquidity trap that doesnt have a good ending unless drastic action is taken...

Written By: Looney Toon on 07/24/16 at 11:05 am

We shall see, Kid99. We shall see.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/24/16 at 11:07 am

For horror movies, Scream inspired I Know What You Did Last Summer, and Halloween H2O.

Halloween H20 was basically a sequel from the first two Halloween movies, considering it was released 20 years after the first one.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/24/16 at 12:23 pm

Would agree with everything except oil prices... oil prices are not going to reach 2014 levels for a LONG LONG time, the world has entirely too much oil right now and a glut in oil takes years to sort through... It took Oil 13 years from 1986-1999 for it to bottom at 10$ a barrel in Early 1999, though we live in much different times, I dont see it getting above 70$ unless we all of a sudden have a huge shortage in oil.

I can tell you no matter if its Hillary or Trump we are f*cked.... the economy is going to go into recession before this decade is over and it will not be pretty as the Central banks have almost no policy tools to fight another recession... it will be more painful than it should be, a liquidity trap that doesnt have a good ending unless drastic action is taken...

Oil prices won't be the same as 2014, but they will definitely increase in 2017. They are slowly getting higher and higher. Also, we're getting out of a huge recession right now (2014 recession) and got out of another one a couple years ago (2008 recession) so I think the economy will greatly improve and I don't think it's possible for another recession next year, at least not where I live.

Written By: Howard on 07/24/16 at 2:52 pm

I vote Donald Trump.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/24/16 at 3:20 pm

I vote Donald Trump.

I thought you don't like Trump so much.

Written By: Smiley on 07/24/16 at 3:44 pm

i think pokemon go is just a fad. won't be big in a few months, you're giving it too much credit

Written By: Howard on 07/24/16 at 3:47 pm

I thought you don't like Trump so much.

I'll give him a shot, we'll see what he can do.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/24/16 at 3:48 pm

i think pokemon go is just a fad. won't be big in a few months, you're giving it too much credit

I see millions of people playing on Pokemon Go, so it's not really a fad. I would say that it's a huge phenomenon.

I'll give him a shot, we'll see what he can do.

He'll basically have somebody else do it, since he doesn't really have a lot of prior political experience. He doesn't have any previous political offices, so it's not like a lot of people would be happy for him to become POTUS.

Written By: Smiley on 07/24/16 at 3:54 pm

I see millions of people playing on Pokemon Go, so it's not really a fad. I would say that it's a huge phenomenon.

He'll basically have somebody else do it, since he doesn't really have a lot of prior political experience. He doesn't have any previous political offices, so it's not like a lot of people would be happy for him to become POTUS.

it's too early to say, i guess.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/24/16 at 4:04 pm

it's too early to say, i guess.

But even then, I wouldn't really think a lot of people would quit playing Pokemon Go in a few months.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/24/16 at 4:32 pm

I vote Donald Trump.

Really??

Written By: TheKid99 on 07/24/16 at 4:37 pm

Polticial Office experience has almost NOTHING to do with hwo someone is going to be president... Dwight Esienhower ring a bell?

I vote Donald Trump.

Quite surprised! I commend you for your opinion, very brave of you to say that on a slightly liberally biased forum. :)

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/24/16 at 4:45 pm

Polticial Office experience has almost NOTHING to do with hwo someone is going to be president... Dwight Esienhower ring a bell?

Yeah, but even then, Eisenhower was a general for the U.S. Military and showed a lot of respect for the United States. Trump on the other hand doesn't really give a sh*t about his supporters, unless they had the same simplistic opinions as him.

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 07/25/16 at 6:24 pm

I think it's safe to say Pokèmon is to this century what the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles were to the early '90s.

Honestly, I would not be surprised if people were catching holographic Pokèmon in the year 2146. They are not going anywhere anytime sooner, if you catch my drift.  ;D

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/25/16 at 6:29 pm

I think it's safe to say Pokèmon is to this century what the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles were to the early '90s.

Honestly, I would not be surprised if people were catching holographic Pokèmon in the year 2146. They are not going anywhere anytime sooner, if you catch my drift.  ;D

I think people would think of more creatures just like Pokemon throughout the 21st century. We aren't really deep into it yet, since we just got out of the 90s about 16 and a half years ago.

Written By: SpyroKev on 07/25/16 at 6:42 pm

I really hope it transitions from this political bull.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/25/16 at 6:43 pm

I really hope it transitions from this political bull.

I don't know. If we have Trump as president, it would make things worse.

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 07/25/16 at 7:21 pm

No, the debut of 3rd Rock from the Sun did.

Written By: Howard on 07/26/16 at 3:12 pm

But even then, I wouldn't really think a lot of people would quit playing Pokemon Go in a few months.

It's the newest fad.

Written By: Howard on 07/26/16 at 3:12 pm

Really??

I'm hoping he'll do a good job, we'll just give him some time.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/26/16 at 4:26 pm

I'm hoping he'll do a good job, we'll just give him some time.

Please don't vote for him Howard. Trump is a racist xenophobe with no political experience whatsoever. He's a clown.

Written By: Red Ant on 07/27/16 at 1:26 am

Whose economy, and how?

Ant

Written By: 80sfan on 07/27/16 at 1:37 am

It's the newest fad.

It's a fun fad!!!  :)

Written By: Slim95 on 07/27/16 at 1:39 am

Whose economy, and how?

Ant

The economy is horrible now. It's even worse than the 2008 recession. The falling oil prices of 2014 did a lot of damage. When oil prices go up, the economy will naturally improve. They are already slowly rising.

Written By: Red Ant on 07/27/16 at 5:21 am

The economy is horrible now. It's even worse than the 2008 recession. The falling oil prices of 2014 did a lot of damage. When oil prices go up, the economy will naturally improve. They are already slowly rising.

When oil prices rise, so too does gasoline and diesel. $4-5/gallon fuel causes all goods to be more expensive, which hits the average person much harder. Most people have a decent commute to work. Back in 08, I knew several people that worked part time who either rescheduled their half days to full ones, or quit their jobs because driving 30 miles one way to work 4 hours for minimum wage was a losing proposition.  High oil prices = high food prices, and the farmers arent making any more money, nor are the shippers or the supermarkets. The only people who benefit from high oil prices are the oil companies.

Gasoline hitting $4+ a gallon in 2008 destroyed tourism in my town. Airline tickets were more expensive. Food and travel were more expensive. Taxi companies pizza delivery places added fuel surcharges, driving up prices and down spending. Hotels were off 60% that year over previous. Lots of people were laid off, especially in hospitality and the restaurant industry. I couldnt continue working out of state on the slim margins I had as trips cost 2x as much as $2/gallon fuel; high gas prices were a major factor in me changing careers late 2009.

I helped a friend move from FL to VA back in 2008. It cost over $400 in fuel to get him from Tampa to Williamsburg one way - 800+ mile trip in a vehicle that gets 8mpg, a figure that most big rigs see. Diesel spiked $5 a gallon here, and in some areas, it was $6.

High fuel prices  are not good for anyone.

Ant

Written By: Slim95 on 07/27/16 at 10:35 am

When oil prices rise, so too does gasoline and diesel. $4-5/gallon fuel causes all goods to be more expensive, which hits the average person much harder. Most people have a decent commute to work. Back in 08, I knew several people that worked part time who either rescheduled their half days to full ones, or quit their jobs because driving 30 miles one way to work 4 hours for minimum wage was a losing proposition.  High oil prices = high food prices, and the farmers arent making any more money, nor are the shippers or the supermarkets. The only people who benefit from high oil prices are the oil companies.

Gasoline hitting $4+ a gallon in 2008 destroyed tourism in my town. Airline tickets were more expensive. Food and travel were more expensive. Taxi companies pizza delivery places added fuel surcharges, driving up prices and down spending. Hotels were off 60% that year over previous. Lots of people were laid off, especially in hospitality and the restaurant industry. I couldnt continue working out of state on the slim margins I had as trips cost 2x as much as $2/gallon fuel; high gas prices were a major factor in me changing careers late 2009.

I helped a friend move from FL to VA back in 2008. It cost over $400 in fuel to get him from Tampa to Williamsburg one way - 800+ mile trip in a vehicle that gets 8mpg, a figure that most big rigs see. Diesel spiked $5 a gallon here, and in some areas, it was $6.

Ant

The impact on job growth is much wider than gasoline prices. Gas prices are completely minor when you look at the big picture. This is especially true where I live, where the number one industry is oil and gas. The economy would improve with higher oil prices as there would be more jobs.

Written By: 2001 on 07/27/16 at 11:27 am

The impact on job growth is much wider than gasoline prices. Gas prices are completely minor when you look at the big picture. This is especially true where I live, where the number one industry is oil and gas. The economy would improve with higher oil prices as there would be more jobs.

It just depends on where you live. Alberta's economy isn't very diverse, so high/low oil prices have a disproportionate effect on your economy. Most non-oil producing economies benefit when oil prices are low. It just depends on the exports/imports of your economy.

I don't usually do drugs but I'm definitely day one for marijuana ;D Where do I make my preorders.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/27/16 at 12:22 pm

I don't usually do drugs but I'm definitely day one for marijuana ;D Where do I make my preorders.

Haha yeah same here. I'm quite curious to see how the legalization process will work here. We'll see.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/27/16 at 12:23 pm

I'm really hoping 2017 improves from 2016 and a lot of changes happen. But the 2010s may pull a 1980s and have a distinct and similar culture throughout the entire decade. Even if this is the case, I think there has to be at least a little change next year like there was in 2013.

Written By: Howard on 07/27/16 at 2:58 pm

Please don't vote for him Howard. Trump is a racist xenophobe with no political experience whatsoever. He's a clown.

I heard he's a bully.

Written By: Looney Toon on 07/27/16 at 4:50 pm

I heard he's a bully.

According to reliable yet unknown sources Trump used to beat kids up in school for their lunch money back in the '50s. He was a major bully.  :(

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/27/16 at 4:51 pm

According to reliable yet unknown sources Trump used to beat kids up in school for their lunch money back in the '50s. He was a major bully.  :(

He was also in a couple gangs. (I'm taking this as a joke)

Written By: Looney Toon on 07/27/16 at 4:51 pm

Don't you DARE have any marijuana. It's bad for you.
>:(

Written By: Looney Toon on 07/27/16 at 4:53 pm

He was also in a couple gangs. (I'm taking this as a joke)

Gangs,eh? We can't allow this man to take presidency.  >:( (yeah, just me having some fun)

Written By: meesa on 07/27/16 at 4:54 pm

Ant

Can confirm, live in a farming community, and the high fuel prices just negatively impact the economy, whilst not helping the farmers one  bit. Many people in my community commute because there aren't a lot of work opportunities here-and it hurts them, and therefore everyone else in the long run. We have depended upon oil for far too long-but that is a different discussion.

Written By: whistledog on 07/27/16 at 8:09 pm

2017 will bring us things we didn't see in 2010, but will bring back the essence if 1981.  I don't think we will see much if 1962, but 2002 will definitely be present. 

Written By: Fearsword on 07/28/16 at 1:02 am

2017 will bring us things we didn't see in 2010, but will bring back the essence if 1981.  I don't think we will see much if 1962, but 2002 will definitely be present.

There will be shades of 1987, with a vibe of 1476. But 2000'sBC nostalgia will be in full force next year lol.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/28/16 at 1:16 am

It all started in 1066.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/28/16 at 1:25 am

We'll have a new president next year.  :)

Written By: 2001 on 07/28/16 at 2:03 pm

North Korea declares war

PYONGYANG, North Korea — North Korea's top diplomat for U.S. affairs told The Associated Press Thursday that Washington "crossed the red line" and effectively declared war by putting leader Kim Jong Un on its list of sanctioned individuals, and said a vicious showdown could erupt if the U.S. and South Korea hold annual war games as planned next month.

an says designating Kim himself for sanctions was the final straw.

"The Obama administration went so far to have the impudence to challenge the supreme dignity of the DPRK in order to get rid of its unfavorable position during the political and military showdown with the DPRK," Han said, using the acronym for North Korea's official name, the Democratic People's Republic of Korea.

"The United States has crossed the red line in our showdown," he said. "We regard this thrice-cursed crime as a declaration of war."

Kim and 10 others were put on the list of sanctioned individuals in connection with alleged human rights abuses, documented by the United Nations Human Rights Commission, that include a network of political prisons and harsh treatment of any kind of political dissent in the authoritarian state. U.S. State Department officials said the sanctions were intended in part to highlight those responsible for the abuses and to pressure lower-ranking officials to think twice before carrying them out.

Late '10s ruined.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/28/16 at 2:07 pm

North Korea declares war
Late '10s ruined.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lqrl3xemDw1qb0q9io1_400.gif

Written By: Howard on 07/28/16 at 3:19 pm

He did that?  :o

Written By: Howard on 07/28/16 at 3:20 pm

Gangs,eh? We can't allow this man to take presidency.  >:( (yeah, just me having some fun)

Yep, let's make a wall just for him.  >:(

Written By: Howard on 07/28/16 at 3:21 pm

We'll have a new president next year.  :)

But who will it be? ???

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 07/30/16 at 11:46 am

Not just Scream... IMO it was the death of Tupac,Bill Clinton's re election,the premieres of 3rd rock, 7th Heaven, Sabrina, Moesha, and the releases of Mario 64 and Crash Bandicoot ended the mid 90s and kick started the late 90s.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/30/16 at 11:52 am

Not just Scream... IMO it was the death of Tupac,Bill Clinton's re election,the premieres of 3rd rock, 7th Heaven, Sabrina, Moesha, and the releases of Mario 64 and Crash Bandicoot ended the mid 90s and kick started the late 90s.

So I suppose the late 90s started around September to November of 1996 culturally?

Written By: TheKid99 on 07/30/16 at 11:55 am

Whose economy, and how?

Ant

I believe if he hasn't said this yet he is talking about Canada's Economy which has been severely affected by the Oil Crash and put them into a Recession, which I believe they are still in.

Written By: Arrowstone on 07/30/16 at 12:14 pm

In Europe we'll have several elections next year, including France and Germany. Expected is a (further) rise of populist nationalistic parties.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/30/16 at 12:26 pm

In Europe we'll have several elections next year, including France and Germany. Expected is a (further) rise of populist nationalistic parties.

I'm pretty sure those countries are really expected to have nationalistic parties, with all the Muslim immigration that kept going there since early of this year.

Written By: 2001 on 07/30/16 at 1:06 pm

An election in Germany already? Feels like yesterday when the Liberals got locked out of the Bundestag  :o

Cooler heads will prevail in Germany, not so sure about France though. Sarkozy will win on the second round, but FN can still make huge gains in the Senate and National Assembly, which is not good.  :(

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 07/30/16 at 8:26 pm

So I suppose the late 90s started around September to November of 1996 culturally?

Well, that's what I think.

Subject: Re: 2017: A Transitional Year

Written By: Fearsword on 08/04/16 at 3:14 am

I think technologies such as VR, Ninento NX will make a great mainstream impact next year.

Politically, if Trump wins the US election. Russia will attempt to capture Ukraine and much if its former Soviet Union which would be an easy job for Russia if the US withdraw from NATO.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/20/17 at 12:34 am

Well here we are near the end of the year and my prediction was DEAD WRONG.  ;D Lol 2017 was not even that different from 2016 apart from Trump winning and a few other stuff. Let's look at the embarrassing predictions that didn't come to life.

All of these in bold were dead wrong.  ;D I gotta be careful next time I make predictions. I would say 2018 will be a transitional year, but then I may jinx myself again.

Written By: Longaotian00 on 09/20/17 at 12:40 am

Well here we are near the end of the year and my prediction was DEAD WRONG.  ;D Lol 2017 was not even that different from 2016 apart from Trump winning and a few other stuff. Let's look at the embarrassing predictions that didn't come to life.

All of these in bold were dead wrong.  ;D I gotta be careful next time I make predictions. I would say 2018 will be a transitional year, but then I may jinx myself again.

Lol. I'm not surprised most of those didn't occur, that would have been a lot to happen within a year  :). Anyways, I agree that 2017 is a bit of an extension 2016 but with a few obvious changes, nothing too drastic like you predicted though :). Also, I wouldn't get my hopes up to high for 2018 either :-\\

Written By: Slim95 on 09/20/17 at 1:18 am

Also, I wouldn't get my hopes up to high for 2018 either :-\\

I think 2018 will be transitional. I just don't know in what way.

Written By: Fearsword on 09/20/17 at 6:16 am

I think, economically at least, 2017 has been about the remnants of the Obama era

Written By: TheKid99 on 09/20/17 at 2:21 pm

2017 definitely has felt like a transition from the Mid 2010s.... definitely feels a bit different......

Written By: 2001 on 09/23/17 at 11:13 pm

I don't think I made many predictions in this thread.

Marijuana wasn't legalized, that's next year.  :\'(

North Korea is still a pain in the butt, quite the bold prediction there cotton. ;D

Germany's election isn't until tomorrow, but it looks certain that Merkel will win big.  8) I was wrong about Sarkozy winning in France, he didn't even make it past the primaries LOL. That's one prédiction I'm glad didn't turn out to be.

Check for new replies or respond here...