inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Where Did We Go Wrong? (2010s Version)

Written By: wixness on 07/28/16 at 7:35 pm

Inspired by SpyroKev's thread: http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=53548.0

IMO, the 2010s went downhill since short hair on guys started being trendy (e.g. Justin Bieber in his mid-late teens and most of 1D) which makes me think that society has become less liberal and much to my disappointment since I really hate having short hair, and since music became bland, such as with "Radioactive" by Imagine Dragons (dunno the artist exactly), "Counting Stars" by OneRepublic, "Wake Me Up" by Avicii and "Shake It Off" by Taylor Swift. I could also say the same thing for TV with Doctor Who since Matt Smith and the Teen Titans remake, but then again, I've been way too obsessed with the Internet since we had laptops and smartphones in the late 00s. Video games have become way too simplified as well.

Other than in culture, politics has gone down as well. Russia, and some people or some parts of Europe have become more fascist, and politics has become much more polarised. Daesh are unstoppable and have been committing acts of terrorism more often than before. Aviation is no longer something I can fully enjoy or take for granted, at least for flights going over Asia, in particular, the Russia-Ukraine border.

Subject: Re: Where Did We Go Wrong? (2010s Version)

Written By: #Infinity on 07/28/16 at 7:58 pm

Unlike the start of the 2000s, there has not really been any significant "if only if..." turning point this decade. I think the foundations for pop culture's sterilization were already set in stone by the late 2000s; it's just that those negative effects only started to become truly apparent as we entered the mid-2010s. 2016 is The biggest low for popular culture in a long time, for the most part.

The things I hate most about our current times are as follows:

* Pointless social media dominating everything.
* Absurd political correctness far less open-minded than the vision of previous major movements.
* Good gaming genres like simulation and rhythm perishing just to make way for even more FPS's and so-called interactive movies.
* Tatted-up, pierced fashion, especially with lesbians in particular.
* Orange Is the New Black.
* A general lack of variety in music, plus the return of rap as horrible as mid-late 2000s.
* Extreme political polarization.
* Selfie culture.
* People generally acting off of impulse rather than evaluation.
* Millennials claiming that they have created a world more diverse and accepting than ever before, when in reality people like me feel like even greater misfits than in the 00s, just for being ourselves.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/28/16 at 8:10 pm

I may be a die-hard fan of the 2000s, where everybody had to fear about what George W. Bush did for eight years until Obama was inaugurated. However, I don't really think that '43 Bush is that bad. Sure, he ruined the economy, and had the United States go to war with the Middle East because of 9/11 and terrorist paranoia. However, I truly think that the 2000s weren't politically godawful. I mean, I lived during Hillary Clinton's actions as a senator of my home state (New York) from 2001 to 2009. That doesn't mean I hate the 2000s politically, it's just that I think this hate over the decade is a little too farfetched.

But with everything from the 2010s, it just seems like people are just taking sh*t way too far. Everywhere on the Internet, people are saying that Donald Trump is a terrible person just because he said that he wanted to build a wall over the Mexican border. While I do agree that it's really offensive to say something like that, I think maybe he just wants to have some more stability towards the illegal immigrants. Although, his desire of a maximum security wall is really expensive for the government of his country. I mean, that sh*t would take like billions of dollars to make, just so that he would make America of what he promised. He has been saying that for over a year, and I could feel that maybe the government wouldn't stand a chance on him. He's not very popular with people, except for white nationalists and extremely dumb people.

Same with political correctness, where it makes no sense on why does it have to be so extreme. I know that most people don't like having racism, sexism, homophobia, nor xenophobia in any community. But those people who say those kind of things are protected under freedom of speech. So, it doesn't really matter so much. I don't even know why people are getting so upset about it, even when they should take stuff less seriously.

As for pop culture in this decade, anybody could know that I just don't like it so much. For the fact that pretty much anything that I could listen nowadays is either modern electropop or hip-hop. All of the sh*t that keeps going through the mainstream is just none of my time. I just wish rock music (more likely, heavy metal IMO) should have a revival (with new bands) in the late 2010s, since most of the rock we keep having is either revivals from early 2000s bands or mediocre stuff. Overall, I could enjoy some of the stuff that this decade produced. But it's just not that good compared to the last decade.

Written By: wixness on 07/28/16 at 8:14 pm

Unlike the start of the 2000s, there has not really been any significant "if only if..." turning point this decade. I think the foundations for pop culture's sterilization were already set in stone by the late 2000s; it's just that those negative effects only started to become truly apparent as we entered the mid-2010s. 2016 is The biggest low for popular culture in a long time, for the most part.

* Absurd political correctness far less open-minded than the vision of previous major movements.
* Good gaming genres like simulation and rhythm perishing just to make way for even more FPS's and so-called interactive movies.
* A general lack of variety in music, plus the return of rap as horrible as mid-late 2000s.
* Selfie culture.
* Millennials claiming that they have created a world more diverse and accepting than ever before, when in reality people like me feel like even greater misfits than in the 00s, just for being ourselves.

The music, I guess people got tired of the "emo" and rock sound that permeated semi-mainstream 2000s music.

Feminism and the like became widely accepted in the 2000s compared to previous decades, but kinda went rabid so as to declare anything as sexist in the following decade. Admittedly, I kinda hold these views as well, viewing everything from writing to law as being male patriarchal constructs.

As for the increasing conformity, I can blame this on a distrust of feminism and "political correctness", and because people got tired of emo and "metrosexuality", so now fashion is heavily gendered and makes me hate being a guy again :( I got annoyed with several classmates when they decided to have their hair short.

Blame Apple for the smartphones and partly for the social networks, the latter which you could blame on Mark Zuckerberg. Even if it were not for him, forums and IM (both of which came shortly after the Internet became widely available) would naturally create social networks since people want something instantaneous and don't want to have to hit refresh all the time.

Blame graphics card companies for gitting gud. Seriously, games lack features (e.g. Saints Row 3 compared to Saints Row 2) these days because the graphics really make them sell; for instance, the new DOOM has great graphics, but lacked the horror element in the original 90s game and even in the 2000s reboot, partly because you don't get a lot of black in that game. Fortunately, people have wisened up with Infinite Warfare getting a lot of hate, which shows that people want a specific type of shooter (not some sci-fi crap).

If you want people to act less on impulse, they should make broadband and/or fast computers expensive again, which might come true when we begin to run out of energy and other resources.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/28/16 at 8:36 pm

Blame Apple for the smartphones and partly for the social networks, the latter which you could blame on Mark Zuckerberg. Even if it were not for him, forums and IM (both of which came shortly after the Internet became widely available) would naturally create social networks since people want something instantaneous and don't want to have to hit refresh all the time.

I wouldn't really blame Apple for inventing a multi-touch screen cellphone, where it became revolutionized within the phone industry at an instant rate. I would rather blame Tim Cook (yes, that bastard who took over Apple after Steve Jobs died) who pretty much made the iPhone looked like sheesh and ruined the meaning of it.

Written By: wixness on 07/28/16 at 8:43 pm

I wouldn't really blame Apple for inventing a multi-touch screen cellphone, where it became revolutionized within the phone industry at an instant rate. I would rather blame Tim Cook (yes, that bastard who took over Apple after Steve Jobs died) who pretty much made the iPhone looked like sheesh and ruined the meaning of it.

Before it came out, phones used to be a lot more unique. Well, at least we have Android, so everyone with a smartphone doesn't suddenly lose their computer literacy.

I would kinda like PDAs back though. Capacitive touch screens can get annoying sometimes.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/28/16 at 8:51 pm

Before it came out, phones used to be a lot more unique. Well, at least we have Android, so everyone with a smartphone doesn't suddenly lose their computer literacy.

Yeah, Androids are way better than iPhones. I wished I had one, so I could get faster processing speeds than my sh*tty iPhone 5C.

I would kinda like PDAs back though. Capacitive touch screens can get annoying sometimes.

PDAs were so cool back then. I could remember my dad owning one, and I remember playing on it. I think it ran on Windows Mobile or something like that, and it was so better than using my iPhone in retrospect.

Written By: wixness on 07/28/16 at 8:54 pm

Yeah, Androids are way better than iPhones. I wished I had one, so I could get faster processing speeds than my sh*tty iPhone 5C.

PDAs were so cool back then. I could remember my dad owning one, and I remember playing on it. I think it ran on Windows Mobile or something like that, and it was so better than using my iPhone in retrospect.

I wonder how iSheep will react to being able to use a file manager. Even 2000s mobile operating systems like Series 40 had those!

Written By: 2001 on 07/28/16 at 11:33 pm

Radioactive is a terrible song but the album is 🔥🔥🔥 HOT.

And anything OneRepublic does is gold! >:( Counting Stars was a fun sing along ;D

I gave a presentation predicting that PDAs will replace regular cellphones circa ~Spring 2007, when I was in high school ;D

Written By: bchris02 on 07/28/16 at 11:36 pm

I agree.

As a closeted gay guy, I used to have this hope and expectation that things would get better eventually.  Today, I know that things will never get better.

This "acceptance" and "love is love" that Obama talked about in his speech the other night is nowhere to be found in small town America.

Written By: 2001 on 07/28/16 at 11:46 pm

I agree.

As a closeted gay guy, I used to have this hope and expectation that things would get better eventually.  Today, I know that things will never get better.

This "acceptance" and "love is love" that Obama talked about in his speech the other night is nowhere to be found in small town America.

:( Is it that bad?

Written By: #Infinity on 07/29/16 at 12:08 am

:( Is it that bad?

Small rural towns are like completely different universes from millennial suburban/urban communities. People living in the former are either hardly exposed to or choose to avoid diversity, and so fundamental Christianity is a more plausible unifying force to them than it is for city-goers. I know this is generalizing, but there's certainly something to say about the overall culture of rural Americana versus places that are much more in-touch with mainstream trends and values.

Written By: #Infinity on 07/29/16 at 12:13 am

I agree.

That's how I feel within the lesbian community in particular, not just with ignorant conservatives. It's far harder to be a straightforward, feminine lesbian without tats, piercings, a cynical worldview, an outright obsession with dogs, and no interest in Orange Is the New Black. I've tried hard to find lesbians who I can connect with, but the dating pool has been amazingly homogenous, even with the few exceptions, who are probably not interested in someone with my personal type of individualism, anyway.

Written By: bchris02 on 07/29/16 at 12:26 am

That's how I feel within the lesbian community in particular, not just with ignorant conservatives. It's far harder to be a straightforward, feminine lesbian without tats, piercings, a cynical worldview, an outright obsession with dogs, and no interest in Orange Is the New Black. I've tried hard to find lesbians who I can connect with, but the dating pool has been amazingly homogenous, even with the few exceptions, who are probably not interested in someone with my personal type of individualism, anyway.

I know what you mean.

It's the same way in the gay community.  Sometimes communities that are marginalized because they don't fit in with the norm create their own sets of norms and marginalize those within their own community that don't fit into it.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/29/16 at 12:27 am

That's how I feel within the lesbian community in particular, not just ignorant conservatives. It's far harder to be a straightforward, feminine lesbian without tats, piercings, a cynical worldview, an outright obsession with dogs, and no interest in Orange Is the New Black. I've tried hard to find lesbians who I can connect with, but the dating pool has been amazingly homogenous, even with the few exceptions, who are probably not interested in someone with my personal type of individualism.
I think I know what you mean by that. Because of the current atmosphere today, there really seems to be no individuality. Almost everywhere, most folks are smoking weed, have hundreds of tats/piercings, and find many things very offensive.

Written By: 2001 on 07/29/16 at 1:38 am

Small rural towns are like completely different universes from millennial suburban/urban communities. People living in the former are either hardly exposed to or choose to avoid diversity, and so fundamental Christianity is a more plausible unifying force to them than it is for city-goers. I know this is generalizing, but there's certainly something to say about the overall culture of rural Americana versus places that are much more in-touch with mainstream trends and values.

To the point that Chris says he's lost hope that things will ever get better though... that's another level of heart-breaking :(

Written By: 2001 on 07/29/16 at 1:44 am

I think I know what you mean by that. Because of the current atmosphere today, there really seems to be no individuality. Almost everywhere, most folks are smoking weed, have hundreds of tats/piercings, and find many things very offensive.

You're describing California every decade since the 1960s tbh :P

Written By: Slim95 on 07/29/16 at 3:24 am

I may be a die-hard fan of the 2000s, where everybody had to fear about what George W. Bush did for eight years until Obama was inaugurated. However, I don't really think that '43 Bush is that bad. Sure, he ruined the economy, and had the United States go to war with the Middle East because of 9/11 and terrorist paranoia. However, I truly think that the 2000s weren't politically godawful. I mean, I lived during Hillary Clinton's actions as a senator of my home state (New York) from 2001 to 2009. That doesn't mean I hate the 2000s politically, it's just that I think this hate over the decade is a little too farfetched.

But with everything from the 2010s, it just seems like people are just taking sh*t way too far. Everywhere on the Internet, people are saying that Donald Trump is a terrible person just because he said that he wanted to build a wall over the Mexican border. While I do agree that it's really offensive to say something like that, I think maybe he just wants to have some more stability towards the illegal immigrants. Although, his desire of a maximum security wall is really expensive for the government of his country. I mean, that sh*t would take like billions of dollars to make, just so that he would make America of what he promised. He has been saying that for over a year, and I could feel that maybe the government wouldn't stand a chance on him. He's not very popular with people, except for white nationalists and extremely dumb people.

Same with political correctness, where it makes no sense on why does it have to be so extreme. I know that most people don't like having racism, sexism, homophobia, nor xenophobia in any community. But those people who say those kind of things are protected under freedom of speech. So, it doesn't really matter so much. I don't even know why people are getting so upset about it, even when they should take stuff less seriously.

As for pop culture in this decade, anybody could know that I just don't like it so much. For the fact that pretty much anything that I could listen nowadays is either modern electropop or hip-hop. All of the sh*t that keeps going through the mainstream is just none of my time. I just wish rock music (more likely, heavy metal IMO) should have a revival (with new bands) in the late 2010s, since most of the rock we keep having is either revivals from early 2000s bands or mediocre stuff. Overall, I could enjoy some of the stuff that this decade produced. But it's just not that good compared to the last decade.

I agree. Great post. Us 2000s kids had it good.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/29/16 at 3:27 am

Well the violence and terrorism went wrong. If it wasn't for so many terrorist attacks and mass shootings this decade wouldn't be as horrible. But combine that with the awful pop culture, terrible music, tasteless fads and social media culture, political polarization, it's just one big mess.

Written By: wixness on 07/29/16 at 5:20 am

Radioactive is a terrible song but the album is 🔥🔥🔥 HOT.

And anything OneRepublic does is gold! >:( Counting Stars was a fun sing along ;D

I imagined Imagine Dragons to be like MCR and Blink-182. I was hugely disappointed.

Counting Stars just lacks that emotion that previous songs had. It sounds like an average three year old wrote it.

Gonna go off topic here, but why has fashion become more conservative for guys now? It shouldn't be that only LGBT individuals and straight girls get to wear stuff like highlights in their hair and make-up, and even cross-dress! That was what I loved about emo culture in the 2000s, because the long hair on guys was effectively quite androgynous.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/29/16 at 6:18 am

I wonder how iSheep will react to being able to use a file manager. Even 2000s mobile operating systems like Series 40 had those!

Yeah. Now that I think about it, PDAs had more interesting features than modern smartphones.

Written By: Howard on 07/29/16 at 7:05 am

* Selfie culture.

I can tell you one thing, social media is getting ridiculously out of hand and please for the love of god stop taking dumb pictures of yourself already. >:(

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/29/16 at 7:21 am

I can tell you one thing, social media is getting ridiculously out of hand and please for the love of god stop taking dumb pictures of yourself already. >:(
How else is there to take your photo if you are on your own?

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 07/30/16 at 8:42 pm

I agree.

Had no idea you were gay? It now makes sense. Since you talk about homoobia of the 00s and being bullied in the early 00s. I could see why you would prefer this decade over the last.

Written By: 2001 on 07/30/16 at 10:02 pm

I imagined Imagine Dragons to be like MCR and Blink-182. I was hugely disappointed.

Counting Stars just lacks that emotion that previous songs had. It sounds like an average three year old wrote it.

Gonna go off topic here, but why has fashion become more conservative for guys now? It shouldn't be that only LGBT individuals and straight girls get to wear stuff like highlights in their hair and make-up, and even cross-dress! That was what I loved about emo culture in the 2000s, because the long hair on guys was effectively quite androgynous.

You can still wear long hair. Not sure about make up though. It should be said though, 2000s fashion was very macho, emo was just a subculture, and not exactly a socially acceptable one at that.  :(

Written By: SpyroKev on 07/30/16 at 10:11 pm

I'll add the layout change of YouTube in 2012. Trap Rap dominance and obviously the overwhelming politics that's constantly spreading negative atmosphere in repeat.

Written By: 2001 on 07/30/16 at 10:12 pm

I'll add the layout change of YouTube in 2012. Trap Rap dominance and obviously the overwhelming politics that's constantly spreading negative atmosphere in repeat.

I've been meaning to ask, what is an example of a trap rap song that's popular these days? I still don't know what trap rap is ;D

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/30/16 at 10:13 pm

The layout from 2012 made what YouTube became ever since. A vile and horrendous website, filled with putrid people from all sorts of communities.

Written By: SpyroKev on 07/30/16 at 10:29 pm

I've been meaning to ask, what is an example of a trap rap song that's popular these days? I still don't know what trap rap is ;D

Just YouTube search Fetty Wap or The Weekend. You will see how generic and tedious the hooks to their songs can be. I don't know specific names of the songs I heard from both, but I know their voices.
The layout from 2012 made what YouTube became ever since. A vile and horrendous website, filled with putrid people from all sorts of communities.

When the YouTube clubs were announced to be taken down. Aww, man. So much force.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/30/16 at 10:46 pm

When the YouTube clubs were announced to be taken down. Aww, man. So much force.

What's worse is that you were forced to use Google+ by then, since Google was annoying everybody with their dumb notifications saying that they should use it for better features. It seemed like we were offered a tumor with that kind of crap.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/30/16 at 10:57 pm

Honestly, mostly stuff in the news. Pop culture, I don't have much to complain about.

Written By: 2001 on 07/30/16 at 10:59 pm

Just YouTube search Fetty Wap or The Weekend. You will see how generic and tedious the hooks to their songs can be. I don't know specific names of the songs I heard from both, but I know their voices.

What? I love the Weeknd! The Hills and Can't Feel My Face were one of my favourite songs in 2015 and Might Not for 2016  ;D

Okay I might be biased, since he's Canadian and we share the same birthday  :-X

Is he really rap though? He sounds like EDM/Pop to me.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/30/16 at 11:06 pm

What? I love the Weeknd! The Hills and Can't Feel My Face were one of my favourite songs in 2015 and Might Not for 2016  ;D

The Weeknd are awesome!!!

Written By: 2001 on 07/30/16 at 11:28 pm

The Weeknd are awesome!!!

Remind me to give you karma when I get on a computer LOL  :-X

Written By: 80sfan on 07/30/16 at 11:40 pm

Remind me to give you karma when I get on a computer LOL  :-X

You're supposed to give me karma in my next life!  :D  :D  :D

Written By: 2001 on 07/30/16 at 11:43 pm

You're supposed to give me karma in my next life!  :D  :D  :D

I believe in Ancient Egypt style resurrection.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/30/16 at 11:45 pm

I believe in Ancient Egypt style resurrection.

That's a lonely road, the realm of the dead.  :-[  :-\\

I prefer karate chops and overly aggressive fire spirits!! Yaaa!  >:(  >:(  8)  8)

Written By: 2001 on 07/30/16 at 11:56 pm

That's a lonely road, the realm of the dead.  :-
I prefer karate chops and overly aggressive fire spirits!! Yaaa!  >:(  >:(  8)  8)

Is that Shintoism lol

Written By: 80sfan on 07/31/16 at 12:10 am

The 2010's really went down for me, when Trumpy Donald told us he was going to run. So around 2015.  ::)

Written By: 80sfan on 07/31/16 at 12:11 am

I walk a lonely road, the only one that I have ever known 🎶

Not all burials are lonely though, you can munmify your pet cat or gazelle and put it in the same coffin as you, to take it to your next life  :D :D

Is that Shintoism lol

Huh?

Written By: SpyroKev on 07/31/16 at 10:48 am

I probably worded it wrong. They play his songs on the Hip Hop and R&B radio station and his song I heard sound like trap beats.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/31/16 at 11:43 am

The layout changed several times before 2013. If you're talking about the Google + feature they added that everyone got mad about, that happened late 2013, not 2012.

Written By: Looney Toon on 07/31/16 at 11:44 am

* Selfie culture.

Yeah, 2016 is on my list for worst years in terms of pop culture. And all the things you've mentioned are what annoys me the most. Especially that last one. I keep hearing about how Millennials have made a more diverse/accepting world, but from the current events that we've seen I can easily say that it's all bullsh!t. I don't mind Selfie culture as I never cared about the idea of people taking pics of themselves. Although I do think that people need to slowdown with the amount of times that they do it. As for general lack of music I agree and I disagree. In terms of the music that's be advertised all the damn time and hitting the top charts I hate them all. In terms of freelance/indie music, however, there was been quite a lot for me to enjoy. And the obsession with social media is beyond annoying. I'm tired of watching or listening to something and hearing Facebook and Twitter get brought up. Gaming during the 7th - 8th gen has been disappointing. Too many FPS games and games that are wannabe-movies.

Only thing I truly like about the 2010s has been thing relating to movies/TV shows/Cartoons.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/31/16 at 11:45 am

The layout changed several times before 2013. If you're talking about the Google + feature they added that everyone got mad about, that happened late 2013, not 2012.

Actually, Google+ has been around since early 2011, but it wasn't forced into everybody on YouTube until 2013. That's what made everyone so pissed back in 2012/2013. I could still remember when everybody was still happy on YouTube in 2011, before everyone got so pissed about the Cosmic Panda layout and the drastic layout changes a year later.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/31/16 at 11:47 am

Actually, Google+ has been around since early 2011, but it wasn't forced into everybody on YouTube until 2013. That's what made everyone so pissed back in 2012/2013. I could still remember when everybody was still happy on YouTube in 2011, before everyone got so pissed about the Cosmic Panda layout and the drastic layout changes a year later.

I know Google Plus was around since 2011. But they didn't force YouTube users to use it until 2013.

Written By: Howard on 07/31/16 at 3:04 pm

I know Google Plus was around since 2011. But they didn't force YouTube users to use it until 2013.

I rarely use Google Plus.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/31/16 at 3:05 pm

Well, YouTube doesn't really enforce it that much unlike two or three years ago. You are so damn lucky.

Written By: Howard on 07/31/16 at 3:49 pm

Well, YouTube doesn't really enforce it that much unlike two or three years ago. You are so damn lucky.

But I will use it occasionally.

Written By: 2001 on 07/31/16 at 4:58 pm

My profile has 300,000 views and the only thing I posted was me buying Pokémon Black in 2011. Creepy.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/31/16 at 5:55 pm

My profile has 300,000 views and the only thing I posted was me buying Pokémon Black in 2011. Creepy.

Maybe it was all the obsessive Pokemon fans that wanted to see some Canadian buy it that year.

Also, Pokemon Black sucked. You should've bought Pokemon White.  :P

Written By: bigdsketch on 08/04/16 at 3:07 pm

Hoestly, i was okay with the pop culture of the 2010s until 2015-16...and if we're gonna go to its origins--mid 2014. So, essentially the mid 2010s. I liked where music was beginning to go, especially in hip-hop. 2010-late 13 there seemed to be a counter to ringtone rap and the over saturated "gangsta" culture of 2000s. As a black guy who used to tormented all throughout Jr. High and high school (in the 00s) about being an "Oreo" and not black enough by my peers, the 2010s were looking promising for me (finally an era that I would fit into). Then...2013-14 hit...with trap hip-hop; the popularization of 'rappers', if you can call them that, such as Young Thug, Fetty Wap, Migos, Future (who I'm aware became popular in '12); the popularization of the "Migos' style of rapping that EVERYONE took and ran with. This spun off a second wave of ringtone rap that I would like to call, Vine-rap.

Pop music by mid 2013, as a lot of people here mentioned, was starting to look promising with dubstep dying off, artists cashing in on the faux EDM trend beginning to go to a sound that was more true to themselves, while the true EDM artists made an a name and a place for themselves on the charts; the advent of more diversity and even the folk and disco-esque trends in music made pop interesting. However...trap. After the popularity of the viral trend Harlem Shake earlier that year trap became popular. And of course pop had to mimic that. The earliest example I remember was Katy Perry's 'Dark Horse' later that year. Then music from late '14 to present just began to be so 'chill' that it all sounded drowsy, bored, and uninspired to me.

News-wise everyone covered what went wrong this decade, plus, I really didn't start paying too much attention until 2014.

2013-14 to me seems to be the turning point of this decade imo.

Written By: wixness on 08/04/16 at 3:19 pm

Hoestly, i was okay with the pop culture of the 2010s until 2015-16...and if we're gonna go to its origins--mid 2014. So, essentially the mid 2010s. I liked where music was beginning to go, especially in hip-hop. 2010-late 13 there seemed to be a counter to ringtone rap and the over saturated "gangsta" culture of 2000s. As a black guy who used to tormented all throughout Jr. High and high school (in the 00s) about being an "Oreo" and not black enough by my peers, the 2010s were looking promising for me (finally an era that I would fit into). Then...2013-14 hit...with trap hip-hop; the popularization of 'rappers', if you can call them that, such as Young Thug, Fetty Wap, Migos, Future (who I'm aware became popular in '12); the popularization of the "Migos' style of rapping that EVERYONE took and ran with. This spun off a second wave of ringtone rap that I would like to call, Vine-rap.

Pop music by mid 2013, as a lot of people here mentioned, was starting to look promising with dubstep dying off, artists cashing in on the faux EDM trend beginning to go to a sound that was more true to themselves, while the true EDM artists made an a name and a place for themselves on the charts; the advent of more diversity and even the folk and disco-esque trends in music made pop interesting. However...trap. After the popularity of the viral trend Harlem Shake earlier that year trap became popular. And of course pop had to mimic that. The earliest example I remember was Katy Perry's 'Dark Horse' later that year. Then music from late '14 to present just began to be so 'chill' that it all sounded drowsy, bored, and uninspired to me.

News-wise everyone covered what went wrong this decade, plus, I really didn't start paying too much attention until 2014.

2013-14 to me seems to be the turning point of this decade imo.

For me, pop music's only started to become better 2015-2016ish (e.g. History by 1D), but it's still all annoyingly bland and incoherent (e.g. Seven Years, but not the one by Saosin, one of those "emo" bands in the 2000s). I don't know, I just want to forget this decade.

I also hate trap and grime music. I've only been able to get into dubstep, and even then I wouldn't say it's one of my favourite genres and something I would identify with.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/04/16 at 3:30 pm

Pop music was getting better in 2013 but then went bad again in 2014. Though we had a couple good songs like Uptown Funk in 2015. I do firmly believe mainstream music now (and the mid 2010s in general) is better than the early 2010s (2010-2012). I am so glad we are past that constant autotuned dance garbage circa 2011. Trap isn't great, but I do prefer the music and pop culture of the mid 10s much more than the early 10s. Having said that, I really hate all pop culture from the 10s. 2000s culture and music was much better.

Written By: bigdsketch on 08/04/16 at 3:39 pm

I also hate trap and grime music. I've only been able to get into dubstep, and even then I wouldn't say it's one of my favourite genres and something I would identify with.

I used to love trap, but it got ran into the ground to me. Being from the south, it has a place in my heart since it originated here...but the 2010s has killed it for me.

Written By: SpyroKev on 08/04/16 at 5:25 pm

Pop music was getting better in 2013 but then went bad again in 2014. Though we had a couple good songs like Uptown Funk in 2015. I do firmly believe mainstream music now (and the mid 2010s in general) is better than the early 2010s (2010-2012). I am so glad we are past that constant autotuned dance garbage circa 2011. Trap isn't great, but I do prefer the music and pop culture of the mid 10s much more than the early 10s. Having said that, I really hate all pop culture from the 10s. 2000s culture and music was much better.

I thought Uptown Funk was instantly tedious. The sound of the song, hook and even the video its self.
I used to love trap, but it got ran into the ground to me. Being from the south, it has a place in my heart since it originated here...but the 2010s has killed it for me.

Trap was good when T.I  was the face. Now its as if he never contributed to it.

Written By: Howard on 08/05/16 at 7:19 am

I thought Uptown Funk was instantly tedious. The sound of the song, hook and even the video its self.
Trap was good when T.I  was the face. Now its as if he never contributed to it.

that was Bruno's style.

Written By: ralfy on 08/05/16 at 8:04 am

Generally connected to large levels of credit created, leading to increased debt and chronic economic crises. Amplified crises through peak oil and the effects of global warming have made matters worse.

Written By: TheKid99 on 08/05/16 at 9:02 am

Where we went wrong... OH boy.

I, personally right now, am having the time of my life in this decade. 2011-2013 were insanely crappy. 2014 was a big turning point. 2015 was okay but had a really hard time the last 5 months of the year. This year so far has been I can say full-heartily my best year ever so far.

But the world.... no.

I MISS the music from 2012 and 2013, especially 2013, even though it was the worst year of my life, ironically it has been the best year in music I can remember.

2015 was a signficant uptrend compared to 2014 in music. This year has been pretty eh, I like some of the indie stuff and anything NON TRAP. I dont really understand how Drakes One Dance was #1 for ten weeks when it was not even a good song. Trap it seems is dying, which is a FANTASTIC thing, you have no idea how tired I am of it, Panda by Desiigner I think will be the last Trap #1, which I am happy about because I loathed that song, like it does not even sound like music, its just mumbling and saying words with no sense.

I would not call it Disco Revival, I would call it Funk/Minneapolis Sound Revival, the music like I Cant Feel My Face or Cant Stop the Feeling, it has a funk undertone but does NOT sound like disco at all.

The teen bubblegum pop feel we had for a little bit in 2014-mid 2015 has gone away it seems.

The world so far has just been spiraling out of control. Ferguson and the Rise of ISIS in 2014 was the catalyst in this. The August Stock Market crash last year added a bit of fuel, then this years insane January - Febuary 12th 2016 Stock Market Crash.... the Brexit Crash which then lead to the biggest short implosion since the Financial Crisis with absolutely no reason behind it.

The US Economy seems to be heading towards Recession. We have not grown at above 1.2% since Q3 2015. We havent grown at above 3% since Q2 2015. The Economy seems to have peaked in Q2-Q3 2014 and has been going down since. People may point towards the uemployment rate or the job market gains, but they ALL must remember, the job market is a lagging indicator of the real economy.

We all went wrong with decades of misguided leadership, kicking the can down the road to enjoy prosperity then but not face or think about the consequences later. And now those consequences are coming roaring to life and all we have to help correct them is TWO HORRIBLE POTUS candidates. Hillary the Crooked Liar and Donald Trump the Whacko Narcissist.

Written By: wixness on 08/05/16 at 12:16 pm

Where we went wrong... OH boy.

I, personally right now, am having the time of my life in this decade. 2011-2013 were insanely crappy. 2014 was a big turning point. 2015 was okay but had a really hard time the last 5 months of the year. This year so far has been I can say full-heartily my best year ever so far.

But the world.... no.

I MISS the music from 2012 and 2013, especially 2013, even though it was the worst year of my life, ironically it has been the best year in music I can remember.

2015 was a signficant uptrend compared to 2014 in music. This year has been pretty eh, I like some of the indie stuff and anything NON TRAP. I dont really understand how Drakes One Dance was #1 for ten weeks when it was not even a good song. Trap it seems is dying, which is a FANTASTIC thing, you have no idea how tired I am of it, Panda by Desiigner I think will be the last Trap #1, which I am happy about because I loathed that song, like it does not even sound like music, its just mumbling and saying words with no sense.

I would not call it Disco Revival, I would call it Funk/Minneapolis Sound Revival, the music like I Cant Feel My Face or Cant Stop the Feeling, it has a funk undertone but does NOT sound like disco at all.

The teen bubblegum pop feel we had for a little bit in 2014-mid 2015 has gone away it seems.

The world so far has just been spiraling out of control. Ferguson and the Rise of ISIS in 2014 was the catalyst in this. The August Stock Market crash last year added a bit of fuel, then this years insane January - Febuary 12th 2016 Stock Market Crash.... the Brexit Crash which then lead to the biggest short implosion since the Financial Crisis with absolutely no reason behind it.

The US Economy seems to be heading towards Recession. We have not grown at above 1.2% since Q3 2015. We havent grown at above 3% since Q2 2015. The Economy seems to have peaked in Q2-Q3 2014 and has been going down since. People may point towards the uemployment rate or the job market gains, but they ALL must remember, the job market is a lagging indicator of the real economy.

We all went wrong with decades of misguided leadership, kicking the can down the road to enjoy prosperity then but not face or think about the consequences later. And now those consequences are coming roaring to life and all we have to help correct them is TWO HORRIBLE POTUS candidates. Hillary the Crooked Liar and Donald Trump the Whacko Narcissist.

Agree, Can't Stop The Feeling sounds horrible. This decade's music really does cater to those who only listen to music like they do background noise. We can only vote with our wallets, but I doubt it'll make a difference, just like with the EU referendum and possibly with America's two party system. Let's end it now, folks.

Written By: 2001 on 08/05/16 at 1:29 pm

Can't Stop the Flop couldn't top the charts. Cheap Thrills by Queen Sia is the song of the summer, give credit where it's due :P

I liked One Dance Though  :( It's fun to dance to.

I still have no idea what Trap is. Like kering and Sonic fandom, it sounds like something I'd be happier not knowing about ;D

Written By: TheKid99 on 08/05/16 at 1:49 pm

Can't Stop the Flop couldn't top the charts. Cheap Thrills by Queen Sia is the song of the summer, give credit where it's due :P

I liked One Dance Though  :( It's fun to dance to.

I still have no idea what Trap is. Like kering and Sonic fandom, it sounds like something I'd be happier not knowing about ;D

I actually like Cheap thrills MUCH better than Drakes One Dance.

Cant Stop the Feeling actually did top the charts suprisingly enough... though I still think it would be best for JT to stay in his 20/20 type music... 20/20 has some GREAT songs... and Mirrors I always listen to almost everyday.
You would be best not knowing what trap is.... if you want to look up trap, look up Desiigner - Panda or 679 by Fetty Wap.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/05/16 at 1:56 pm

Just listen to Trap Queen by Fetty Wap.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/05/16 at 1:56 pm

I like Can't Stop The Feeling. The song isn't bad.

Written By: 2001 on 08/05/16 at 4:25 pm

I actually like Cheap thrills MUCH better than Drakes One Dance.

Cant Stop the Feeling actually did top the charts suprisingly enough... though I still think it would be best for JT to stay in his 20/20 type music... 20/20 has some GREAT songs... and Mirrors I always listen to almost everyday.
You would be best not knowing what trap is.... if you want to look up trap, look up Desiigner - Panda or 679 by Fetty Wap.

Ohh, Panda.  8-P That song is one of the worst rap songs I've heard in a long while.

I like Can't Stop The Feeling. The song isn't bad.

It's decent. The people on the radio always talk about it being "the song of the summer" and how they "can't believe that it's not topping the charts". It's good but it's not that good lol. It's very safe as far as pop songs go, not really pushing any boundaries.

Check for new replies or respond here...