inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 2013 seemed so calm

Written By: Fearsword on 08/01/16 at 7:16 am

Witnessing all the recent tragedies all around the world made me realise something. It was only just a few years ago, in 2013 and early 2014, when things seemed WAY more politically stable than they are now. ISIS wasn't a big threat yet, despite evolving into its current form in April 2013, Donald Trump wasn't relevant yet and you didn't hear about a mass shooting/terror attack every week on the news. Europe, even as late as 2014, would have been a safe place to visit.

I remember The Boston bombing which killed only 2 people despite hundreds of injuries being such a massive news story that was talked about for weeks. If this happened in 2016, it would just be a passing fad because it's happening so often now.

In saying that, 2013 was probably the start of the cultural(and chronological) mid 10s with social media and smartphones becoming saturated like they are today and North Korea becoming a major threat.

Subject: Re: 2013 seemed so calm

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/01/16 at 8:08 am

I feel like early 2013 was the last presence for the early 2010s, before all of the sh*t that we had to deal with now happened. I'll never be that nostalgic towards 2013, since I actually had unpleasant memories in the first half of the year. It might take years before I am truly happy about 2013 (well at least the second half). But to be honest, I just wish this decade would be over already.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/01/16 at 9:11 am

Compared to 2015/2016, yes.

Written By: mqg96 on 08/01/16 at 10:15 am

In other words... my last year and a half of high school!

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/01/16 at 11:36 am

I agree!! Yeah, the only major things I heard on the news then were just the Boston bombing and the Trayvon verdict. OTT, it was so relaxing. I'm honestly wondering does the current atmosphere has to do with the fact ISIS rose to power, the 2012 Newtown and Colorado theater shootings that occured, and that Obama won a second term? I feel that it's one of those three things or maybe all of them.

Written By: #Infinity on 08/01/16 at 12:28 pm

2013 was really the first year I remember being abnormally turbulent and politically correct, even by 21st century standards. Compared to 2016, however, 2013 seems as peacefully quiet as 1997.

Written By: 2001 on 08/01/16 at 1:21 pm

Compared to 2015/2016, yes.

Yeah, compared to 2015/16 it feels quiet, but overall it was turbulent.

Didnt you guys have an election in Australia? Carbon tax backlash, Julia Gillard being deposed of as PM, turn back the boats, Abbott being elected etc. It didn't look very calm looking from the outside ;D

Written By: Fearsword on 08/01/16 at 6:55 pm

Didnt you guys have an election in Australia? Carbon tax backlash, Julia Gillard being deposed of as PM, turn back the boats, Abbott being elected etc. It didn't look very calm looking from the outside ;D

Yeah in Australia, things have been pretty politically turbulent since mid 2010. It all started when Julia Gillard knifed Rudd in June 2010 and we had a hung parliament later that year that took a month to resolve. Not to mention my football team, Collingwood Magpies, played in a draw in the AFL Grand final before winning the replay the next week.

Yeah the carbon tax backlash it all because Julia Gillard had promised there wouldn't be one prior to the 2010 election. However, our current backward Liberal government repealed it in 2014.

Written By: Fearsword on 08/01/16 at 6:58 pm

Mind you, Australia's recent election on July 2 was pretty close, with the Liberals retaining government by just 1 seat. That also wasn't fully resolved till last week.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/01/16 at 7:03 pm

Wasn't 2012/2013, the year 10's started to become volatile?

Written By: 2001 on 08/01/16 at 8:49 pm

Mind you, Australia's recent election on July 2 was pretty close, with the Liberals retaining government by just 1 seat. That also wasn't fully resolved till last week.

Yeah in Australia, things have been pretty politically turbulent since mid 2010. It all started when Julia Gillard knifed Rudd in June 2010 and we had a hung parliament later that year that took a month to resolve. Not to mention my football team, Collingwood Magpies, played in a draw in the AFL Grand final before winning the replay the next week.

Yeah the carbon tax backlash it all because Julia Gillard had promised there wouldn't be one prior to the 2010 election. However, our current backward Liberal government repealed it in 2014.

Oh yeah I've been keeping up with that too, with National threatening to breaking up with Liberals and all that stuff. Glad that got resolved.. Or maybe not since you're stuck with the Tories again  ;D (although Turnball comes across as very moderate to me compared to Abbott)

I think "it's time buy a new pair of jeans when Australia changes its party leaders" is a good rule.  ;)

In the US? Yeah, I would say late 2012 with that election and Sandy Hook.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 08/02/16 at 1:37 am

Like Slowpoke said, here yeah.
But the mid 10s was when things became all time volatile!

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 08/02/16 at 1:42 am

Fearsword, I hear ya man! Obama's second term things started off so peaceful. But due to ISIS rising, shootings, and race relations it became catastrophic. After Bin Laden was killed, the Iraq war ended, and the recession ended things looked VERY promising when we were transitioning from early to mid 10s culture.  :)
But when they arrived... boy oh boy; we had no idea things would get as bad as they have gotten. :o

Written By: BornIn86 on 08/02/16 at 4:29 am

I feel like early 2013 was the last presence for the early 2010s, before all of the sh*t that we had to deal with now happened. I'll never be that nostalgic towards 2013, since I actually had unpleasant memories in the first half of the year. It might take years before I am truly happy about 2013 (well at least the second half). But to be honest, I just wish this decade would be over already.

I really wish so many people on this didn't feel this way. 2020 could be so awful that everyone might look back to 2016 and reminisce on how good we all had it. Who knows what the future might bring? Live in the present, folks!  :)

Written By: Fearsword on 08/02/16 at 5:53 am

Oh yeah I've been keeping up with that too, with National threatening to breaking up with Liberals and all that stuff. Glad that got resolved.. Or maybe not since you're stuck with the Tories again  ;D (although Turnball comes across as very moderate to me compared to Abbott)

I think "it's time buy a new pair of jeans when Australia changes its party leaders" is a good rule.  ;)

In the US? Yeah, I would say late 2012 with that election and Sandy Hook.

Haha, Tony Abbott was like Australia's Donald Trump moment because of his incompetence and disapproval rating. Turnbull is a bit bitter but still panders to his right-wing Government MPs
I'm also disappointed that they recently rejected Kevin Rudd's nomination for the chief of the UN. I thought he was the perfect candidate because he's multilingual.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/02/16 at 6:14 am

I really wish so many people on this didn't feel this way. 2020 could be so awful that everyone might look back to 2016 and reminisce on how good we all had it. Who knows what the future might bring? Live in the present, folks!  :)

Yeah, but it's not like we could enjoy the present that much.

Written By: bchris02 on 08/02/16 at 11:44 am

I would say that 2012 was the last presence of the early 2010s.

2013 was the beginning of today's culture.  I don't see a lot of differences between 2013 and today to be honest, though music has improved somewhat since then.  2013 was the year that SJW culture and political correctness shifted into high gear.  It was my first full year back in backwards, small town America.  2013 is one of those years that I don't see a lot of bright spots looking back on and will NEVER be nostalgic for, and there have been relatively few of those kinds of years in my life.  The only other year that is really comparable was 1995 and even it was better than 2013.  Even 2014, which was a terrible year and one of the worst of my adult life, was much better than 2013.

Written By: 2001 on 08/02/16 at 1:03 pm

Haha, Tony Abbott was like Australia's Donald Trump moment because of his incompetence and disapproval rating. Turnbull is a bit bitter but still panders to his right-wing Government MPs
I'm also disappointed that they recently rejected Kevin Rudd's nomination for the chief of the UN. I thought he was the perfect candidate because he's multilingual.

I remember when Abbott made a man the minister for women's issues  :o

I just read about the UN chief thing. Looks petty on their part.

Written By: 2001 on 08/02/16 at 1:04 pm

2013 was the beginning of today's culture.  I don't see a lot of differences between 2013 and today to be honest, though music has improved somewhat since then.  2013 was the year that SJW culture and political correctness shifted into high gear.  It was my first full year back in backwards, small town America.  2013 is one of those years that I don't see a lot of bright spots looking back on and will NEVER be nostalgic for, and there have been relatively few of those kinds of years in my life.  The only other year that is really comparable was 1995 and even it was better than 2013.  Even 2014, which was a terrible year and one of the worst of my adult life, was much better than 2013.

Weren't you still very young in 1995? What happened?  :o

Written By: BornIn86 on 08/02/16 at 1:28 pm

What exactly are SJW culture and political correctness? People use those terms a lot but I've never heard a clear definition of them. If it's fighting for the disadvantaged, then I'm all for it. :)

Written By: Slim95 on 08/02/16 at 1:41 pm

I agree. 2013 was the best year of the 2010s in all ways (music, culture, my personal life, etc.) 2013 was a transitional year from the early 2010s to the mid 2010s, but it really felt like a unique year with its own era. I remember the disco fad was popular in music. This was the only year this decade that I genuinely enjoyed mainstream music and listened to it often. Lots of variety of genres and excellent songs. 2013 felt like we were on a good track to change and a lot of better things were to come, but that didn't happen in 2014 unfortunately. 2013 felt laid back, calm and peaceful before the violence and drama began in 2014. 2014 was the first full year of the mid 10s.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/02/16 at 1:42 pm

2013 was the transition into the mid 10s. 2014 was the first full mid 10s year. However, 2013 can still be considered core 2010s.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/02/16 at 1:51 pm

2014. That's when the police shootings started with Michael Brown and the protests started, political unrest started rising. In late 2014 the oil prices fell down dramatically causing a terrible recession that is still happening now. The SJW stuff started before that but that's not exactly how I would paint the 2010s, and it certainly isn't something that could make a decade volatile. If you don't like SJW stuff, just ignore it. Music was pretty bad all of 2014. Sam Smith set the tone of the mid 10s in 2014 with his slow, depressing songs.  ;D

Written By: 2001 on 08/02/16 at 1:54 pm

What exactly are SJW culture and political correctness? People use those terms a lot but I've never heard a clear definition of them. If it's fighting for the disadvantaged, then I'm all for it. :)

Chris lives in a very rural conservative area, so when people in his area hear "SJW/politically correct" rhetoric on TV, they double down on their nastiness, which isn't good from his perspective.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 08/02/16 at 2:06 pm

2013 was the transition into the mid 10s. 2014 was the first mid 10s year. However, 2013 can still be considered core 2010s.

This.
I have no idea why Chris feels 2013 was mid. It was core but not mid quite yet.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 08/02/16 at 2:08 pm

Chris lives in a very rural conservative area, so when people in his area hear "SJW/politically correct" rhetoric on TV, they double down on their nastiness, which isn't good from his perspective.

That must suck for him. I'm glad I live in Missouri. Things were good here in 2013 and the first half of 2014.

Written By: 2001 on 08/02/16 at 2:11 pm

That must suck for him. I'm glad I live in Missouri. Things were good here in 2013 and the first half of 2014.

Maybe it's from my Canadian perspective, but anything below Chicago feels "south" to me ;D I find it hard to tell the difference between Kansas mentality and the Southern mentality.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 08/02/16 at 2:14 pm

Maybe it's from my Canadian perspective, but anything below Chicago feels "south" to me ;D I find it hard to tell the difference between Kansas mentality and the Southern mentality.

That's kinda true tbh... ;D
Outside of downtown St. Louis and downtown Kansas City, both have VERY southern mentalities. Trust me on that one. ;)

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/02/16 at 2:18 pm

SJWs (or Social Justice Warriors) are people who usually complain about social politics, whether it's racial, religious, or sexual. They usually like going through left wing politics, although they tend to be hypocrites. They tend to think that cisgendered white people are the main problem to society, despite most of them saying that they're against racism and homophobia.

Political correctness is when somebody doesn't offend anybody towards their race, ethnicity, sex, sexual orientation, nationality, and/or national origin.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/02/16 at 2:20 pm

Same with me. Although, New York City isn't really one of my favorite places to live, it's still cool.

Written By: 2001 on 08/02/16 at 2:40 pm

Same with me. Although, New York City isn't really one of my favorite places to live, it's still cool.

I live in Toronto, the land of SJWs and political correctness run amok. It's kinda cool, can't imagine living anywhere else.

What would guffaw Americans is that Toronto is derided for being very conservative by people from other Canadian cities ;D people here really like money. But by American standards we're Soviet Russia.

Written By: Howard on 08/02/16 at 3:02 pm

Yes I believe so.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/02/16 at 3:12 pm

I live in Toronto, the land of SJWs and political correctness run amok. It's kinda cool, can't imagine living anywhere else.

What would guffaw Americans is that Toronto is derided for being very conservative by people from other Canadian cities ;D people here really like money. But by American standards we're Soviet Russia.

It's okay, Slowpoke. Toronto is like Soviet Russia, but with capitalism.  ;D

Written By: 2001 on 08/02/16 at 3:49 pm

It's okay, Slowpoke. Toronto is like Soviet Russia, but with capitalism.  ;D

It definitely has the weather  :\'(

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/02/16 at 3:51 pm

It definitely has the weather  :\'(

Well... at least you got a cool flag for Toronto.  ;)

Written By: 2001 on 08/02/16 at 3:58 pm

Well... at least you got a cool flag for Toronto.  ;)

You made me look up what the flag looks like lol. It looks boring to me.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/02/16 at 4:04 pm

You made me look up what the flag looks like lol. It looks boring to me.

Well, at least it looks nationalistic (in a good way) to Canada.

Written By: batfan2005 on 08/02/16 at 5:37 pm

Fearsword, I hear ya man! Obama's second term things started off so peaceful. But due to ISIS rising, shootings, and race relations it became catastrophic. After Bin Laden was killed, the Iraq war ended, and the recession ended things looked VERY promising when we were transitioning from early to mid 10s culture.  :)
But when they arrived... boy oh boy; we had no idea things would get as bad as they have gotten. :o

Yeah, this is how things turned out after 8 years of Obama.

We'll probably be living in a Orwellian 1984 society by then, especially if Trump is president, following a violent uprising.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/02/16 at 8:04 pm

That makes my Republican heart want to throw up!  8-P  8-P

I am half-joking, so it's not 100% serious.

Written By: 2001 on 08/02/16 at 8:30 pm

That makes my Republican heart want to throw up!  8-P  8-P

I am half-joking, so it's not 100% serious.

Might want to visit our government doctors who will give you a publicly-funded check up. ;) I don't think Canada will get rid of the monarchy any time soon.

Written By: #Infinity on 08/02/16 at 11:09 pm

A lot of people, such as myself, Jordan, and NewYorkEagle, feel that SJW's do not genuinely embrace the protest movements they profess to support. They try to combat bigotry simply in order to take credit for supposedly doing good, rather than actually transforming minorities' social conditions for the better. They look for every excuse to complain about racism, sexism, homophobia, or just about any type of prejudice, even if it means taking the source material out of context and without doing more research before making such extreme judgments.

A good example of this behavior was in the aftermath of the Ghostbusters remake trailer, in which several Internet SJW's blamed the negative reaction purely on sexism, even though Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens did essentially the same thing, by turning the lead hero of an untouchable franchise into a female, and was still a resounding success. I brought this up a couple of months ago, after one of my favorite Internet commentators was slammed by SJW's just because he stated he wouldn't go out to see the new Ghostbusters film.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/03/16 at 12:15 am

A lot of people, such as myself, Jordan, and NewYorkEagle, feel that SJW's do not genuinely embrace the protest movements they profess to support. They try to combat bigotry simply in order to take credit for supposedly doing good, rather than actually transforming minorities' social conditions for the better. They look for every excuse to complain about racism, sexism, homophobia, or just about any type of prejudice, even if it means taking the source material out of context and without doing more research before making such extreme judgments.

A good example of this behavior was in the aftermath of the Ghostbusters remake trailer, in which several Internet SJW's blamed the negative reaction purely on sexism, even though Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens did essentially the same thing, by turning the lead female of an untouchable franchise into a female, and was still a resounding success. I brought this up a couple of months ago, after one of my favorite Internet commentators was slammed by SJW's just because he stated he wouldn't go out to see the new Ghostbusters film.

Which is partly why Taylor Tornado Swifty (Taylor Swift), got into so much trouble. She wasn't truly for Feminism, as much as using it to help her self-image, to help record sales. Then came the leaked Kanye/Taylor tape.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/03/16 at 12:18 am

Might want to visit our government doctors who will give you a publicly-funded check up. ;) I don't think Canada will get rid of the monarchy any time soon.

I threw up pink stuff. Did you give me your germs, pink one?  >:(  >:(

Written By: Fearsword on 08/03/16 at 3:28 am

I remember when Abbott made a man the minister for women's issues  :o

I just read about the UN chief thing. Looks petty on their part.

I know, I think our government has blown a great opportunity for Australia to become a force on the world stage  :-X

Written By: Fearsword on 08/03/16 at 3:37 am

SJW's in my opinion are far-left wing people who claim to be advocates for equality and are apparently against racism, homophobia, sexism etc. I don't hold them in high regard because they tend to personally attack you if don't agree on something they say.

In Australia, we have witnessed the rise of far right groups such Reclaim Australia and the United Patriots in the past 18 months that have organised protests at various cities/towns across Australia, including my hometown . They aim to be peaceful, but are always opposed by SJW groups at their rallies who try to incite violence, much like at Trump rallies.

Written By: SpyroKev on 08/03/16 at 10:13 am

I consider 2013 the last decent year for a reason. I don't recall being aware of politics at the time.

Written By: 2001 on 08/03/16 at 11:35 am

I threw up pink stuff. Did you give me your germs, pink one?  >:(  >:(

http://www.periodictable.com/Samples/083.28/s13.JPG

Free on prescription (I  think)!  :D

Written By: 80sfan on 08/03/16 at 12:15 pm

I drank that as a child, I think. Might have been another pink drink/medicine.  :o

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/03/16 at 12:54 pm

I drank that as a child, I think. Might have been another pink drink/medicine.  :o

I hated drinking Pepto Bismol as a child. It tasted so disgusting, and the texture was not my cup of tea.

Written By: 2001 on 08/03/16 at 1:29 pm

I hated drinking Pepto Bismol as a child. It tasted so disgusting, and the texture was not my cup of tea.

It tastes like medicine candy!

Written By: Looney Toon on 08/03/16 at 1:33 pm

My experience with the Pepto of Bismols

http://treasure.diylol.com/uploads/post/image/248589/resized_y-u-no-meme-generator-pepto-bismol-y-u-no-take-effect-578d3b.jpg

I swear it didn't work for me half the time.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/03/16 at 1:59 pm

It tastes like medicine candy!

Eh. I think Benadryl taste more like medicine candy to me.

My experience with the Pepto of Bismols

http://treasure.diylol.com/uploads/post/image/248589/resized_y-u-no-meme-generator-pepto-bismol-y-u-no-take-effect-578d3b.jpg

I swear it didn't work for me half the time.

Well luckily, I didn't really had it that much. Thank god for Tums.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 08/03/16 at 3:14 pm

EW! Why would you drink that?  :P

Written By: 80sfan on 08/03/16 at 4:21 pm

I remember drinking something pink, that tasted good to my tongue. I forgot what it was.

Written By: BornIn86 on 08/03/16 at 7:51 pm

A good example of this behavior was in the aftermath of the Ghostbusters remake trailer, in which several Internet SJW's blamed the negative reaction purely on sexism, even though Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens did essentially the same thing, by turning the lead hero of an untouchable franchise into a female, and was still a resounding success. I brought this up a couple of months ago, after one of my favorite Internet commentators was slammed by SJW's just because he stated he wouldn't go out to see the new Ghostbusters film.

It's just hard for me to take the label seriously. I remember once being called a SJW for arguing against scientific racism (under the guise of "race realism"). I've seen the derogatory term leveled at anyone who with leftish opinions.  It's so arbitrary.

Written By: #Infinity on 08/03/16 at 8:03 pm

It's just hard for me to take the label seriously. I remember once being called a SJW for arguing against scientific racism (under the guise of "race realism"). I've seen the derogatory term leveled at anyone who with leftish opinions.  It's so arbitrary.

I can relate because I've been called out on at least a few occasions for having even a moderately leftist stance on a political issue, but I've also witnessed and experienced the same types of accusations from the other side, in which being well-intentioned but too moderate on something will lead to leftist extremists decrying you for being prejudiced. I don't condone either left nor right radicalism, but the left extremism is particularly annoying in that it's more influential to the type of trends and viewpoints associated with younger, more cultured generations. I can easily avoid the worst Trump-backers if I want to, but finding a fellow lesbian who isn't part of the current SJW culture is a lot more challenging than I wish.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/03/16 at 8:12 pm

It's just hard for me to take the label seriously. I remember once being called a SJW for arguing against scientific racism (under the guise of "race realism"). I've seen the derogatory term leveled at anyone who with leftist opinions.  It's so arbitrary.

Huh. I guess you argue at Tumblr, which is where most of those people hang out at. Either that, or you argued about scientific racism for some specific reason.

Written By: BornIn86 on 08/03/16 at 8:44 pm

Huh. I guess you argue at Tumblr, which is where most of those people hang out at. Either that, or you argued about scientific racism for some specific reason.

Nope. The argument occurred on a gay message board. No matter what the reason was, I was called a SJW because I rejected the racialist belief.

Written By: BornIn86 on 08/03/16 at 8:49 pm

I can relate because I've been called out on at least a few occasions for having even a moderately leftist stance on a political issue, but I've also witnessed and experienced the same types of accusations from the other side, in which being well-intentioned but too moderate on something will lead to leftist extremists decrying you for being prejudiced. I don't condone either left nor right radicalism, but the left extremism is particularly annoying in that it's more influential to the type of trends and viewpoints associated with younger, more cultured generations. I can easily avoid the worst Trump-backers if I want to, but finding a fellow lesbian who isn't part of the current SJW culture is a lot more challenging than I wish.

Hmm. Maybe it has to do with location. I have yet to personally come across the kind of SJW you defined.

Written By: #Infinity on 08/03/16 at 10:36 pm

Hmm. Maybe it has to do with location. I have yet to personally come across the kind of SJW you defined.

Jordan and I both gave some examples of oversensitive SJW's who we had encountered in real life, our posts are on the next page of the same thread I linked to earlier.

Written By: Fearsword on 08/04/16 at 12:14 am

I've only ever come across SJW's in person at Reclaim Australia real lies where they are in opposing groups. They always seem to want to start trouble.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/04/16 at 1:06 am

These are some of my favourite mainstream songs from 2013.

nPvuNsRccVw

5NV6Rdv1a3I

IsUsVbTj2AY

47dtFZ8CFo8

QK8mJJJvaes

and more!

Written By: Fearsword on 08/04/16 at 3:08 am

nPvuNsRccVw

5NV6Rdv1a3I

IsUsVbTj2AY

47dtFZ8CFo8

QK8mJJJvaes

and more!

Wow, there were some high quality tunes that year. It seems there was a disco revival. Personally, I liked 2013's music than 2016(so far). It just had a more fun and catchy vibe than the mellow trap sounds we hear now.

Written By: BornIn86 on 08/04/16 at 11:02 am

Jordan and I both gave some examples of oversensitive SJW's who we had encountered in real life, our posts are on the next page of the same thread I linked to earlier.

I see what you guys are getting at. I once got into an argument with people online over Macklemore winning a Grammy for best rap album in 2014 because they thought he won due to race. I thought they were reaching. I'm sure those guys would be called SJWs. I still don't like the term. I doubt it would help anything if I called them that. It just feels like a pejorative that can be dished out on anyone with a left of center opinion. I'm not a big fan of pejoratives for anyone really. I literally cringe whenever I read "rethuglican".  ::)

Written By: Emman on 08/04/16 at 11:28 am

All the current tumult has been building since around '09, '10, this is when I first noticed it, maybe some of the other posters are younger so they might not have been paying much attention to politics back then. But the public anger has been building since the bailouts of the "Too Big To Fail" banks, the Tea Party and OWS was when it was publicly articulated and now we're seeing a very agitated electorate that more ready to fully reject Establishment politics and embrace economic nationalism and populism.

2013 was when the racial tensions grew with the fallout of the Trayvon Martin trial, there were national protests(some violent but no riots like Ferguson) after the trial, also the government shutdown later that year showed just how dysfunctional our government(because of extreme partisan politics) is becoming. 2013 was not a "calm" year for the US, we're just further along sociopolitical trends that's been building in the aftermath of the '08 financial crisis.

Written By: BornIn86 on 08/04/16 at 11:48 am

All the current tumult has been building since around '09, '10, this is when I first noticed it, maybe some of the other posters are younger so they might not have been paying much attention to politics back then. But the public anger has been building since the bailouts of the "Too Big To Fail" banks, the Tea Party and OWS was when it was publicly articulated and now we're seeing a very agitated electorate that more ready to fully reject Establishment politics and embrace economic nationalism and populism.

2013 was when the racial tensions grew with the fallout of the Trayvon Martin trial, there were national protests(some violent but no riots like Ferguson) after the trial, also the government shutdown later that year showed just how dysfunctional our government(because of extreme partisan politics) is becoming. 2013 was not a "calm" year for the US, we're just further along sociopolitical trends that's been building in the aftermath of the '08 financial crisis.

You're right. Donald Trump feels like the Tea Party candidate and Bernie Sanders feels like the Occupy Wallstreet candidate.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/04/16 at 12:01 pm

Wow, there were some high quality tunes that year. It seems there was a disco revival. Personally, I liked 2013's music than 2016(so far). It just had a more fun and catchy vibe than the mellow trap sounds we hear now.

Yeah I agree. That's why I liked the year so much.

Written By: 2001 on 08/04/16 at 1:16 pm

Nope. The argument occurred on a gay message board. No matter what the reason was, I was called a SJW because I rejected the racialist belief.

You did the right thing :)

EW! Why would you drink that?  :P

It tastes good!!

and more!

You forgot 22  :D ;D

Written By: Slim95 on 08/04/16 at 1:22 pm

You forgot 22  :D ;D

You mean 23? Nah, I didn't like that song.  8-P

Written By: #Infinity on 08/05/16 at 6:31 pm

Wow, just look at this now.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-intersect/wp/2016/08/04/how-rotten-tomatoes-became-the-scapegoat-for-frustrated-suicide-squad-fans/?tid=sm_fb

That's another thing about the mid-2010s, and especially 2016 in particular that I can't stand. People really abuse petitions these days, basically finding any way to turn their biases into supposed "protests." In some cases, petitions can be motived by bold and great ideas (I'm still really praying for Elsa to have a girlfriend in Frozen 2), but this here just proves how oversensitive all of these wannabe activists of today are.

My guess is that once November arrives, there's going to be a big-arse petition from whichever major political party loses the election in order to prevent the winner from being inaugurated. Unless something is done to better-adjust the world to the still-young digital age, it's definitely foreseeable that America's tradition of peaceful transfers of power will finally break in the near future.

Written By: 2001 on 08/05/16 at 7:39 pm

Wow, just look at this now.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-intersect/wp/2016/08/04/how-rotten-tomatoes-became-the-scapegoat-for-frustrated-suicide-squad-fans/?tid=sm_fb

That's another thing about the mid-2010s, and especially 2016 in particular that I can't stand. People really abuse petitions these days, basically finding any way to turn their biases into supposed "protests." In some cases, petitions can be motived by bold and great ideas (I'm still really praying for Elsa to have a girlfriend in Frozen 2), but this here just proves how oversensitive all of these wannabe activists of today are.

My guess is that once November arrives, there's going to be a big-arse petition from whichever major political party loses the election in order to prevent the winner from being inaugurated. Unless something is done to better-adjust the world to the still-young digital age, it's definitely foreseeable that America's tradition of peaceful transfers of power will finally break in the near future.

This is more butthurt DC fans having a delicious salty meltdown, than it is a reflection of the mid-2010s ;D

Trump talking about rigged elections is pathetic. I think most the GOP establishment won't play ball with him, and the power transfer will be peaceful.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/05/16 at 7:45 pm

This is more butthurt DC fans having a delicious salty meltdown, than it is a reflection of the mid-2010s ;D

Pretty much any DC fan is now butthurt over anything that the company made now. Especially with the Batman vs. Superman movie. I honestly don't know how you could get that upset over it, even though it's not supposed to be taken that seriously.

Trump talking about rigged elections is pathetic. I think most the GOP establishment won't play ball with him, and the power transfer will be peaceful.

Nobody would play with him, except for his psychotic and uneducated supporters.

Written By: bchris02 on 08/06/16 at 1:12 am

I remember drinking something pink, that tasted good to my tongue. I forgot what it was.

Children's amoxicillin probably.

Written By: aja675 on 08/22/16 at 1:13 am

I remember how when I posted my Tumblr on a forum's shoutbox in roughly March or April 2013, someone made a joke about how Tumblr was for horny teenagers. Today, when people think of Tumblr, they almost exclusively think of SJW's.

Written By: XYkid on 08/22/16 at 2:11 pm

There were a lot of shootings in 2013, but I agree it still seemed quite calm compared to today.
2013 also had a very nostalgic vibe to it, especially with the disco and new wave revival. Not to mention, it was the first year I recall seeing a lot more 90s fashion coming back en vogue.

Check for new replies or respond here...