inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Positives of the 2010s?

Written By: Slim95 on 08/04/16 at 12:56 am

We hear a lot of the bad stuff from the 2010s. There are no doubt a handful of negative aspects of this decade. But what are the things you like from this decade? What do you think you will get nostalgic for when you look back at the 10s in the future? For me, I like the cool tech we have and all the smartphones that are out. I am happy to be alive in a time with a lot of the cool tech devices we have now.

Subject: Re: Positives of the 2010s?

Written By: Fearsword on 08/04/16 at 3:03 am

Further legalisation of gay marriage around the world, Bin laden killing, Arab Spring , first female Australian PM Julia Gillard, the ubitiquity of social media has allowed me to reconnect with Long lost friends/family

Written By: mqg96 on 08/04/16 at 8:36 am

Despite social media being all in our faces today, it's still a convenience that we have Youtube, Facebook, or Twitter to watch good videos or chat with our friends if we use these sites very smartly. In fact, thanks to Facebook, I'm able to keep in contact with friends or acquaintances who I haven't seen since high school graduation. Back in the old days, your only chance of keeping in contact with an old friend was exchanging phone numbers, otherwise, you may never see them again for the rest of your life unless you run into them at a store or event years later.

If we're comparing to the mid & late 2000's, then the mainstream TV shows and movie industry for most of this decade has been a huge improvement. Hip hop and R&B throughout the 2000's to 2010 were better than the trap era of hip hop we've been in since 2011/12, but nonetheless I still enjoy all the music though. However, the electropop, EDM and even disco rival music of this decade, I'd take any day over the early 2000's teenybopper music era or core 2000's rock/punk/emo era. I enjoyed my high school years throughout the early 2010's much better than my middle school years back in the late 2000's. Well, that's about it for the positives of the 2010's.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/04/16 at 9:56 am

Well, the only positives I could think for this decade is that we have Obama as our president, and Skype has become immensely popular throughout the 2010s.

Written By: Looney Toon on 08/04/16 at 11:54 am

TV Live Action Shows (Breaking Bad, Walking Dead, Th Flash etc)
Live Action Movies (Avengers, Guardians of the Galaxy, Jungle Book, Star Wars 7, Ex Machina etc )
Animation TV shows (Regular Show, Gravity Falls, Gumball, Steven Universe etc)
Animated Movies (Inside Out, Zootopia, Big Hero 6, Despicable Me, Lego Movie etc)
Indie Games (Braid, Bastion, Five Nights at Freddy's, Undertale etc)
Indie Music (Almost anything on Soundcloud, Youtube, and Bandcamp)
Crime Rate (Has the lowest we've seen in decades. Lower than a majority of the decades from the 20th century)

Written By: #Infinity on 08/04/16 at 12:28 pm

* Record-high support for LGBT rights (despite the backlash).
* Generally a good decade for movies, especially in the indie department.
* HD Video being standard.
* Your favorite tv shows and movies are much easier to watch thanks to online video services being well-established (although I definitely miss visiting the video store).
* The early 2010s were an overall solid time for popular culture, unlike the shallow, stagnant, and unpleasant mid-2010s.

Written By: Howard on 08/04/16 at 2:59 pm

Well, the only positives I could think for this decade is that we have Obama as our president, and Skype has become immensely popular throughout the 2010s.

I use Skype a lot. :)

Written By: SpyroKev on 08/04/16 at 5:16 pm

2010-2013 and my self development. All I can see my conscious being nostalgic from today is my series, YouTube comments and the comeback of Wild 'n Out.

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/04/16 at 7:42 pm

Ke$ha

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/04/16 at 8:36 pm

Ke$ha

Best positive for this decade. Just best.  :D

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/04/16 at 11:16 pm

Everything that Infinity, MQG, Toon and NYE have stated. There are many movies, songs, games, and TV shows I have enjoyed in this decade.

Written By: ralfy on 08/05/16 at 8:06 am

Possibly growing awareness that all of these good things will come to pass as multiple crises take their toll on the global population.

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/05/16 at 8:46 am

Further legalisation of gay marriage around the world, Bin laden killing, Arab Spring , first female Australian PM Julia Gillard, the ubitiquity of social media has allowed me to reconnect with Long lost friends/family

The so called "Arab Spring" was a disaster. Not much of a positive unless you are an Islamic terrorist.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/05/16 at 9:24 am

The Arab Spring was rather more like both a positive and negative towards the Arabian world. Sure, several Arabic politicians were overthrown or assassinated, but it's not like it gave a successful future for them.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/05/16 at 10:55 am

I also like the there is more acceptance of the LGBT community. In general you can be yourself more in the 2010s. It's a very individualistic and hipster decade which is good. I also really like Game of Thrones. Star Wars Episode 8 is great in terms of movies. The Disney/Pixar movies are pretty good this decade too. I do enjoy some social media apps like Periscope. Most of all the technology we have these days is pretty great, that's one thing I love about the 10s. Wi-Fi almost everywhere so need to worry about being connected, several new devices and mobile platforms, awesome gpus, etc. As a tech head that is very important to me. It will be cool to see technology progress for the rest of the decade.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/05/16 at 10:58 am

Pokemon GO!!!  8)

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/05/16 at 1:12 pm

Pokemon GO!!!  8)

::)

I really doubt that it's a very good positive, aside from catching Pokemon.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/05/16 at 1:27 pm

::)

I really doubt that it's a very good positive, aside from catching Pokemon.

It's awesome!!! Just don't do it while driving! :.ducks:.

Written By: Howard on 08/05/16 at 3:53 pm

Pokemon GO!!!  8)

I think it's just a fad.

Written By: Howard on 08/05/16 at 3:54 pm

It's awesome!!! Just don't do it while driving! :.ducks:.

or walking.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/05/16 at 4:10 pm

or walking.

Or swimming.

Written By: wixness on 08/06/16 at 2:51 pm

There was near total peace in the world for a short time, but apart from VR, I can't say much positive about the 2010s. At least people are less homophobic and are probably more aware of the environment.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 08/06/16 at 8:33 pm

AMAZING comic book tv series.(Arrow, Flash, Shield, Daredevil, Jessica Jones etc.)
PS4
Blu Rays
franchises making a comeback(X Files, Full House, Jurassic, Star Wars, etc.)
Toy Story 3
MCU movies
DC's video games
HDTV
DVRing

That's honestly all I could think of....

Written By: batfan2005 on 08/06/16 at 8:50 pm

How is that a positive? He is the reason why the 10's is so blighted as it is.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/06/16 at 8:55 pm

How is that a positive? He is the reason why the 10's is so blighted as it is.

Well, he kinda made the economy look okay. That's alright. If anything, most political topics right now are just a pain in the ass.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/06/16 at 8:55 pm

I totally forgot to add that being a liberal country again and having Justin Trudeau as our prime minister is another positive. And having a left-wing government with premier Rachel Notley as the leader in Alberta where I live is another huge positive. The fact that in 2010 the loonie was stronger than the US dollar is great too. (though now the loonie is really weak). And the economy being in great shape from 2011- late 2014 can be seen as a positive as well. Canada has been pretty good in the 2010s in terms of violence/terrorist attacks except for the tragic October parliament hill shooting in 2014.

Written By: TheKid99 on 08/07/16 at 5:38 pm

Well, he kinda made the economy look okay. That's alright. If anything, most political topics right now are just a pain in the ass.

No... the economy is NOT okay...

I would say the same thing if a repub is in office... the economy is stagnate... his policies have done nothing for the eocnomy....

IF the economy was OK we should have 1) Full ACTUAL employment, 2) 3%+ ANNUAL GDP growth 3) Homeownership on the rise 4) Labor participation going up, not to its peak in March 2000 but at least GETTING somewhere. 5) Less social unrest(YES I beleive the main reason we have so much unrest in our country is because our economy is not doing well. 6) SLIGHTLY rising wages ADJUSTED for inflation. 7) Interest rates out of emergency levels and around 3%+

None of those are happening

The Economy is not okay and if you think we are not doing okay now, just wait until the actual Recession hits us..... it will not be pretty.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/07/16 at 6:14 pm

No... the economy is NOT okay...

I would say the same thing if a repub is in office... the economy is stagnate... his policies have done nothing for the eocnomy....

IF the economy was OK we should have 1) Full ACTUAL employment, 2) 3%+ ANNUAL GDP growth 3) Homeownership on the rise 4) Labor participation going up, not to its peak in March 2000 but at least GETTING somewhere. 5) Less social unrest(YES I beleive the main reason we have so much unrest in our country is because our economy is not doing well. 6) SLIGHTLY rising wages ADJUSTED for inflation. 7) Interest rates out of emergency levels and around 3%+

None of those are happening

The Economy is not okay and if you think we are not doing okay now, just wait until the actual Recession hits us..... it will not be pretty.

Well, I'm saying that Obama's presidency had a better economy than George W. Bush's. I mean, it's not like we have a terrible recession, unlike eight years ago when Bush was still in office.

Written By: TheKid99 on 08/07/16 at 7:06 pm

Well, I'm saying that Obama's presidency had a better economy than George W. Bush's. I mean, it's not like we have a terrible recession, unlike eight years ago when Bush was still in office.

Actually.... Bush while ending with the Great Recession had 3 years of 2%+ growth 3.9% in 2003, 3.8% in 2004 and 3.3% in 2005.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/07/16 at 7:08 pm

Actually.... Bush while ending with the Great Recession had 3 years of 2%+ growth 3.9% in 2003, 3.8% in 2004 and 3.3% in 2005.

That's because the economy was still great during the mid 2000s.

Written By: TheKid99 on 08/07/16 at 7:14 pm

That's because the economy was still great during the mid 2000s.

Overall, the length of time the economy is in expansion, Obama wins.

Quality and strength of expansion? Bush

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 08/11/16 at 8:04 pm

This decade has a lot of positives and a lot of negatives. Sort of a milder 1960s.

I like Obama. His current approval rating is actually pretty good.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 08/15/16 at 12:41 am

They're than halfway over. That's positive.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/15/16 at 12:42 am

They're than halfway over. That's positive.

You REALLY hate this decade, don't you?

Written By: nintieskid999 on 08/15/16 at 12:42 am

You REALLY hate this decade, don't you?

More than any time ever. Ever since late 2008 things have been a nightmare.

Written By: Emman on 08/15/16 at 7:53 pm

More than any time ever. Ever since late 2008 things have been a nightmare.

A general suckfest isn't it, stangant economy, the worst recovery since The Great Depression, nothing new or identifable in music, fashion, art, design, ect. petty partisan pickering and butthurt, increasing right wing nationalism/populism and leftist identity politics, and increasing race riots in the US.

We haven't been to the moon since The freakin Apollo program ended almost 45 years ago, there is nothing being done about our crumbling infrastructure/climate change because of obstructist politics(mainly from Repulbicans), everything seems like a slight modification of something else whether it's tech, music, fashion(I mean another remake of Spiderman is being made 8-P).

Written By: mqg96 on 08/15/16 at 8:05 pm

(I mean another remake of Spiderman is being made 8-P).

Well I think this incarnation of Spider-Man is going to be the best, since it's based off the Marvel Cinematic Universe which tells me it will stick to the comics more than ever before. The 2002/2004/2007 Spider-Man movies were fun for its time but it hasn't aged that well IMO.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/15/16 at 8:09 pm

A general suckfest isn't it, stangant economy, the worst recovery since The Great Depression, nothing new or identifable in music, fashion, art, design, ect. petty partisan pickering and butthurt, increasing right wing nationalism/populism and leftist identity politics, and increasing race riots in the US.

We haven't been to the moon since The freakin Apollo program ended almost 45 years ago, there is nothing being done about our crumbling infrastructure/climate change because of obstructist politics(mainly from Repulbicans), everything seems like a slight modification of something else whether it's tech, music, fashion(I mean another remake of Spiderman is being made 8-P).

I feel you. That kind of crap gets on my nerves, especially when it got on the mainstream thanks to YouTube and Trump's candidacy. It's horrendous to even watch the news for me, since it's about either Trump, Clinton, ISIS terrorism, riots about cops being asses/minorities getting killed, etc. I can't even stand being happy that much, because most stuff nowadays are just over commercialized. I feel like I can't be myself whenever I'm on YouTube or anywhere.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/15/16 at 8:10 pm

Well I think this incarnation of Spider-Man is going to be the best, since it's based off the Marvel Cinematic Universe which tells me it will stick to the comics more than ever before. The 2002/2004/2007 Spider-Man movies were fun for its time but it hasn't aged that well IMO.

I kinda think they were good to this day. Even if they were made 9-14 years ago.  They were unique for its time, especially when I was introduced to Spiderman because of it. Although, I didn't really watch them as a kid.

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/15/16 at 8:41 pm

A general suckfest isn't it...and increasing race riots in the US.

Heck that ain't nothing. The Detroit riots of '67 and the Rodney King riots of '92 make this year's racial unrest look like a tea party.

Written By: Emman on 08/15/16 at 9:18 pm

Heck that ain't nothing. The Detroit riots of '67 and the Rodney King riots of '92 make this year's racial unrest look like a tea party.

Well nothing we've seen so far since around '14 has been as bad on scale as '67 or '68 but it all seems to be getting worser, the tensions are rising, and it does have the potential to eventually get really bad. The LA riot itself was very bad(about 52 people killed, much property damage) but it was a very isolated incident in an other wise calmer decade, things calmed down pretty much for the rest of the '90s.

This has been the worse period of unrest since the late '60s/early '70s and it feels more jarring to younger people who can't remember the upheaval of the '60s.

Check for new replies or respond here...