inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 2016: Depressing year in music

Written By: XYkid on 08/22/16 at 2:04 pm

The summer is almost over, and most of the so-called fun, summer dance songs have all had a very slow tempo and are not very fun to dance to. It's almost like pop music is on heroin this year, does anyone think this has something to do with our insane political situations?

Subject: Re: 2016: Depressing year in music

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/22/16 at 2:21 pm

It might have to deal with this year's presidential election. It's rather sad to see no faith towards politics, when Trump and Clinton doesn't really have any benefits towards the United States. I mean, Clinton seems decent and tolerable, but with everybody accusing her of being a "crook" just because she had emails is just illogical.

Written By: 2001 on 08/22/16 at 4:54 pm

The dance hits of the summer! Jump into it! Major bops in bold.

Don't Let Me Down - The Chainsmokers
Closer - The Chainsmokers

Cold Water - Major Lazer ft. Justin Bieber
Make Me - Britney Spears
Wanna Come Over - Britney Spears
Cheap Thrills - Sia
Move Your Body - Sia
This Is What You Came For - Calvin Harris, Rihanna
Might Not - Belly ft. Weeknd
One Dance - Drake
Middle - DJ Snake
I Took A Pill In Ibiza - Mike Posner
Lose Control - Hedley
Into You - Ariana Grande
Kill Em With Kindness - Selena Gomez

How Deep Is Your Love - Calvin Harris, Disciples
Work From Home - Fifth Harmony
All In My Head - Fifth Harmony
The Heart of Me - Miike Snow
Someone Who Can Dance - Icona Pop
Dancing Kizomba - Alx Veliz
Don't Mind - Kent Jones
Toothbrush - DNCE
Send My Love - Adele

Not dance songs, but danceable
Just Like Fire - P!nk
Ride - Twenty One Pilots
Wherever I Go - OneRepublic

Not my favourites but I'd get down with it if I was at a party:
Can't Stop The Feeling - Justin Timberlake
Work For You - Selena Gomez
Dangerous Woman - Ariana Grande

http://i.imgur.com/pNYPANW.gif

PM me if you want a Spotify playlist.

Written By: #Infinity on 08/22/16 at 8:17 pm

This year produced a few good songs at the beginning, like "Love Yourself," "Stand by You," and "Stressed Out," but has otherwise been a regression to the rock-bottom lows of the 2014-2015 school year. "Panda," "Don't Mind," and "M.I.L.F. $" are all some of the worst songs I've ever heard come out of the mainstream charts, and "Work," "Don't" (there's something seriously jinxed about that word when it comes to mid-2010s music, considering the aforementioned "Don't Mind," not to mention Ed Sheeran's song of the same name is the only single of his I don't like, no pun intended), and "Dangerous Woman" are nearly just as crappy. The rest ranges from incredibly mediocre to okay at best.

Since we're talking about how depressing 2016 has been for music, let's not forget, either, the onslaught of significant music deaths that began in December of last year but has hit especially hard this year and feels as though it has little end in sight. Next to 1959, 1970, and 1980, 2016 is already one of the worst years in history for music-related deaths.

Written By: 2001 on 08/23/16 at 3:58 pm

Greatest top 10 billboard since like 2009 tbh. I play all these songs at least once a day!

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/chart-beat/7480279/the-chainsmokers-halsey-no-1-hot-100

1. The Chainsmokers ft Halsey - Closer
2. Sia ft Sean Paul - Cheap Thrills
3. Major Lazer ft Justin Bieber & MO - Cold Water
4. Twenty One Pilots - Heathens
5. Calvin Harris ft Rihanna - This Is What You Came For
6. Twenty One Pilots - Ride
7. Drake - One Dance
8. The Chainsmokers ft Daya - Don't Let Me Down
9. Justin Timberlake - Can't Stop The Feeling
10. Adele - Send My Love

Written By: Wesof95 on 08/23/16 at 4:25 pm

I hope "Kungs vs Cookin’ on 3 Burners - This Girl" makes it to the top 10. It's currently at 42 and will probably move up next week.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/23/16 at 5:42 pm

Maybe 2016 needs a Prozac.

Written By: 2001 on 08/23/16 at 5:44 pm

I hope "Kungs vs Cookin’ on 3 Burners - This Girl" makes it to the top 10. It's currently at 42 and will probably move up next week.
  Nice!

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/23/16 at 5:46 pm

Maybe 2016 needs a Prozac.

It needs to be tranquilized.

Written By: batfan2005 on 08/23/16 at 5:46 pm

Normally the Olympic years have good music, but 2016 not so much. Then again, it's still the best year for music since 2013. There are currently 36 songs on my Spotifly playlist.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/23/16 at 5:48 pm

It needs to be tranquilized.

It needs to be tied down.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/23/16 at 5:50 pm

It needs to be tied down.

It needs to be in a psychiatric ward.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 08/23/16 at 9:51 pm

I literally never heard of ANY of the songs mentioned. Wow.  :o

Written By: 2001 on 08/23/16 at 10:10 pm

Jump into it!  ;D Preferably with heavy bass stereo!!

qWWSM3wCiKY

Written By: bchris02 on 08/24/16 at 9:34 am

2016 music isn't amazing, but it's been the best year since 2012. I like that all the teenybopper garbage and post-disco that dominated 2013 and 2014 hasn't really been a thing this year, and that electropop has had a good year, even if the songs have been a little slower tempoed than what was common in the early '10s.  A lot of hip-hop is starting to have more early '00s influences in my opinion, which is a step in the right direction. It's nice to get away from songs like "Dance(A$$)".

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/24/16 at 10:00 am

Me too. I barely listen to songs from this decade.

Written By: 2001 on 08/24/16 at 12:53 pm

Then why're you hating  :-X

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/24/16 at 12:54 pm

Then why're you hating  :-X

Because there isn't a lot of good stuff from music in this decade. It doesn't really have an identity with me.

Written By: 2001 on 08/24/16 at 1:13 pm

Because there isn't a lot of good stuff from music in this decade. It doesn't really have an identity with me.

But you just said you haven't heard them  ;D

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/24/16 at 1:15 pm

But you just said you haven't heard them  ;D

Well, I never heard of most of the guys you've mentioned. However, I just don't like listening to most of this decade's music in general.

Written By: Looney Toon on 08/26/16 at 8:18 pm

2016 wouldn't suck if it had more Jazz

Eh, I'm kind of curious on how often people listen to Indie music that you can find on places like Soundcloud or Youtube. Works great for the moments where mainstream music doesn't satisfy you.

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/26/16 at 8:29 pm

It all sux.

Written By: 1999 Baby, 2000s Kid on 08/26/16 at 8:54 pm

Right on, we need more Jazz music! :)

And with 2016 music, I don't think it's that bad of a year. I found 2014 to be the worst year this decade for popular music.

Written By: #Infinity on 08/26/16 at 8:54 pm

Eh, I'm kind of curious on how often people listen to Indie music that you can find on places like Soundcloud or Youtube. Works great for the moments where mainstream music doesn't satisfy you.

Unfortunately, the mid-2010s haven't been nearly as colorful a time for indie music as the 2000s were. This year's most notable non-mainstream releases are David Bowie's near-posthumous final album and Radiohead's Moon-Shaped Pool. I'm personally still stuck listening to stuff from the 80s and 90s, although I've discovered a little more from the 60s and 70s as of late, too.

Written By: Looney Toon on 08/26/16 at 9:01 pm

Unfortunately, the mid-2010s haven't been nearly as colorful a time for indie music as the 2000s were. This year's most notable non-mainstream releases are David Bowie's near-posthumous final album and Radiohead's Moon-Shaped Pool. I'm personally still stuck listening to stuff from the 80s and 90s, although I've discovered a little more from the 60s and 70s as of late, too.

I suppose you're right. I have been noticing a slight drop in variety in terms of indie tracks. Makes me wonder what's going on as the indie scene was better a few years ago (2010-2011 for example). Whenever mainstream/indie music isn't working for me I just try to discover some old songs. I've been listening to some early 60s surf rock music. So far I like it. And I continue to discover old Jazzy tracks along with some 80s/90s New Jack Swing and 00s Funky/Vocal House tracks.

Written By: BornIn86 on 08/26/16 at 10:16 pm

There's never been one moment in my life where the majority of people I knew said they liked the music of the era.

If you know don't like the music being played to you, go seek lesser known music.

Written By: Howard on 08/27/16 at 7:07 am

Right on, we need more Jazz music! :)

And with 2016 music, I don't think it's that bad of a year. I found 2014 to be the worst year this decade for popular music.

We need more guys George Clinton, Gap Band and Kool And The Gang.

Written By: 2001 on 08/27/16 at 10:42 am

Not today Satan!! Not in this Britney era!

https://67.media.tumblr.com/d306cabbcb370ed2600d8e243410c905/tumblr_inline_ob7swmKXtO1rcrpjh_500.gif

Written By: Looney Toon on 08/27/16 at 11:17 am

There's never been one moment in my life where the majority of people I knew said they liked the music of the era.

If you know don't like the music being played to you, go seek lesser known music.

"If it's modern then it sucks"

- Everyone who ever existed

In all seriousness I mainly just don't like the style of music that we have nowadays. Bad Pop & Rock and today's Rap is nothing more then a wonky bunch of loosely stringed together words that just happen to have a background beat to them (in my own little opinion of course), but then again I never liked rap. And the genres that I do love such as Electro Swing, New Jack Swing etc etc aren't very popular and/or dead genres. So I just listen to music on Soundcloud or something. Trust me when I say that you can find tons of good tracks on there. I have 600+ songs from Soundcloud alone.

Written By: batfan2005 on 08/27/16 at 11:21 am

I've been listening to a lot of music from the year 2000, as that is the year that I'm throwing back this year. I have noticed one genre of music that is still good now is R&B. A lot of the same artists and groups from the late 90's/early 00's have released music recently, including Jon B, Bryan McKnight, Methrone, Jagged Edge, Avant, Jaheim, Tank, etc., and they still have the same sound as back then.

Written By: SpyroKev on 08/27/16 at 11:25 am

I've been listening to a lot of music from the year 2000, as that is the year that I'm throwing back this year. I have noticed one genre of music that is still good now is R&B. A lot of the same artists and groups from the late 90's/early 00's have released music recently, including Jon B, Bryan McKnight, Methrone, Jagged Edge, Avant, Jaheim, Tank, etc., and they still have the same sound as back then.

That's great. Majority of the artists you listed are on my IPod.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/27/16 at 11:39 am

Not today Satan!! Not in this Britney era!

https://67.media.tumblr.com/d306cabbcb370ed2600d8e243410c905/tumblr_inline_ob7swmKXtO1rcrpjh_500.gif

That woman looks.....aggressive.  :(

Written By: Looney Toon on 08/27/16 at 11:45 am

In order to get your point across you must be aggressive in some moments. Or else risk your claim on deaf ears.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/27/16 at 12:40 pm

The music is awful. 2015 was much better. Luckily I don't listen to the radio.

Written By: 2001 on 08/27/16 at 3:02 pm

I'm surprised it only became a meme recently. I remember watching that episode of House Swap in 2008! She runs a religious household with a strict parenting style and the kids help with the chores. She gets swapped with an irreligious household with spoilt kids and a very lazy dad. Over the course of the week she completely loses it, then asks the camera crew if they believe in God or not. After they refuse to answer, she kicks them all out while going on a rampage. It was hilarious  ;D

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/27/16 at 3:04 pm

I'm surprised it only became a meme recently. I remember watching that episode of House Swap in 2008! She runs a religious household with a strict parenting style and the kids help with the chores. She gets swapped with an irreligious household with spoilt kids and a very lazy dad. Over the course of the week she completely loses it, then asks the camera crew if they believe in God or not. After they refuse to answer, she kicks them all out. It was hilarious  ;D

There's a lot of 2000s media that recently became memes for some reason.

Check for new replies or respond here...