inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Do you guys think YouTube is dead?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/04/16 at 1:54 pm

From what I'm seeing, YouTube has been going down the crapper since they introduced Google+. A few days ago, they introduced these new terms of service what seems to be advertiser-friendly to the site. However, they prohibited these types of content that aren't considered appropriate to people who monetize their videos.

http://i349.photobucket.com/albums/q385/NewYorkEagle/Content%20that%20considers%20to%20be%20non%20advertiser%20friendly._zpsmj7yvazg.jpg

So, what do you think about it? Do you think it lead to the downfall of YouTube, or would it do some benefits towards the site?

Subject: Re: Do you guys think YouTube is dead?

Written By: 2001 on 09/04/16 at 2:33 pm

Can't channels have their own sponsors/advertisers?

Written By: Howard on 09/04/16 at 3:01 pm

No, YouTube is not dead, It's still the most watched channel for all demographics.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/04/16 at 3:04 pm

Can't channels have their own sponsors/advertisers?

Well... I don't know about that. I lost hope over YouTube being as great as it was back in the 2000s/early 2010s. We had to deal with these ridiculous rules and redesigns that seem to piss off a lot of people who used the site for a long time. Especially me. Those big YouTubers get their money from YouTube itself, since they're the ones who control all the advertising on the site.

No, YouTube is not dead, It's still the most watched channel for all demographics.

*website

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/04/16 at 6:04 pm

I think it is on life support.

The novelty is gone. I mean, just how many different ways can people show videos of somebody lighting their farts on fire?  :D

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/04/16 at 6:10 pm

I think it's dead from hope. There isn't anyway that YouTube could be as great as it was in the 2000s. I don't even think a lot of people actually like the site anymore.

The novelty is gone. I mean, just how many different ways can people show videos of somebody lighting their farts on fire?  :D

Or anybody making Vine compilations, or rants about cartoons, or pretty much anything in that matter.

Written By: Looney Toon on 09/04/16 at 7:07 pm

Youtube ain't dead if it continues to have tons of traffic in users and content. But the new censorships is just downright stupid. Youtube changing the rules just because of a what a few whiners had to say (or at least that's what I can gather). What's funny is that this means the old AVGN videos may not be allowed in this day and age.

Guess we can add the Youtube change to the list of "Late 2010s shifts". What was considered ok on late 2000s youtube would be considered as "against the rules" on late 2010s youtube. Although I will sit back and see how this REALLY effects the content that we see on Youtube. Some Youtubers may need to change their styles.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 09/04/16 at 7:28 pm

From what I'm seeing, YouTube has been going down the crapper since they introduced Google+. A few days ago, they introduced these new terms of service what seems to be advertiser-friendly to the site. However, they prohibited these types of content that aren't considered appropriate to people who monetize their videos.

http://i349.photobucket.com/albums/q385/NewYorkEagle/Content%20that%20considers%20to%20be%20non%20advertiser%20friendly._zpsmj7yvazg.jpg

So, what do you think about it? Do you think it lead to the downfall of YouTube, or would it do some benefits towards the site?

Where else would you watch that many videos online though? Vimeo doesn't have nearly the selection

Written By: apollonia1986 on 09/04/16 at 7:33 pm

I was on there all day watching 3T and Emma Norgaard (makeup artist) Emma swears like a sailor. Her channel is intact.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/04/16 at 7:36 pm

Not at all, YouTube still provides the service it intended out to be.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/04/16 at 7:49 pm

Except the copyright restrictions!

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/04/16 at 7:57 pm

Youtube ain't dead if it continues to have tons of traffic in users and content. But the new censorships is just downright stupid. Youtube changing the rules just because of a what a few whiners had to say (or at least that's what I can gather). What's funny is that this means the old AVGN videos may not be allowed in this day and age.

I don't even think anybody actually cared about YouTube needing to be censored towards advertiser-friendly content (or kid-friendly content, in this case). Pretty much any video that has profanity, sexual themes, controversial topics, and violence wouldn't really be monetized towards YouTubers. Which is about 80% of YouTube, since it's not like anybody tends to give a sh*t about children entertainment.

Guess we can add the Youtube change to the list of "Late 2010s shifts". What was considered ok on late 2000s youtube would be considered as "against the rules" on late 2010s youtube. Although I will sit back and see how this REALLY effects the content that we see on Youtube. Some Youtubers may need to change their styles.

I don't really think they'll feel comfortable with the new changes. They'll probably just quit YT, since their purpose is to entertain usually teens or adults. I don't think seem to think that children actually watch their videos, let alone know who they are.

Where else would you watch that many videos online though? Vimeo doesn't have nearly the selection.

I don't know if that would be okay for YouTube. Just because it has a large collection of videos, along with being around for 11 years, that doesn't mean people would still stick around on YouTube. I don't even have a lot of subscriptions on my account (about 28 to be precise). I only watch videos that I seem to be decent, since a lot of videos nowadays are just terrible to look at.

Written By: SpyroKev on 09/04/16 at 8:16 pm

I'm surprised the users don't understand what you mean by YouTube being dead by sense. The site definitely lost its YouTube flavor at this point. YouTube isn't generally dead. Just dead by spirit.

Written By: Looney Toon on 09/04/16 at 8:19 pm

Back in the early years of Youtube it was mainly preteens - adults who were using it. The same can still be said today as I've been seeing quite a few comments from people who say their born from 2003-2005 (11-13 as of 2016). But most elementary kids and younger don't use Youtube as much outside of maybe 5th graders who're at age 10.

Most content creators are teens and adults who make said content for teens and adults.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/04/16 at 8:23 pm

I'm surprised the users don't understand what you mean by YouTube being dead by sense. The site definitely lost its YouTube flavor at this point. YouTube isn't generally dead. Just dead by spirit.

I think they understand what I meant about YouTube being dead. I think their reactions were just saying that they aren't really dead. I also think they understand that I meant figuratively. But to be frankly honest, I agree with you that YouTube is just flavorless. Especially when most of the videos that are uploaded now is just terrible.

Back in the early years of Youtube it was mainly preteens - adults who were using it. The same can still be said today as I've been seeing quite a few comments from people who say their born from 2003-2005 (11-13 as of 2016). But most elementary kids and younger don't use Youtube as much outside of maybe 5th graders who're at age 10.

Most content creators are teens and adults who make said content for teens and adults.

Well to be fair, there aren't a lot of people born in the late 2000s who use YouTube that much. They probably just watch Markiplier, PewDiePie, or any other guy that they like on the site. Although, I tend to think that most videos right now are aimed towards mid-late 2000s/early 2010s babies. Thanks to YouTube's stupid advertiser friendly guidelines.

Written By: 2001 on 09/05/16 at 12:54 am

I don't even think anybody actually cared about YouTube needing to be censored towards advertiser-friendly content (or kid-friendly content, in this case). Pretty much any video that has profanity, sexual themes, controversial topics, and violence wouldn't really be monetized towards YouTubers. Which is about 80% of YouTube, since it's not like anybody tends to give a sh*t about children entertainment.

I don't really think they'll feel comfortable with the new changes. They'll probably just quit YT, since their purpose is to entertain usually teens or adults. I don't think seem to think that children actually watch their videos, let alone know who they are.

I don't know if that would be okay for YouTube. Just because it has a large collection of videos, along with being around for 11 years, that doesn't mean people would still stick around on YouTube. I don't even have a lot of subscriptions on my account (about 28 to be precise). I only watch videos that I seem to be decent, since a lot of videos nowadays are just terrible to look at.

It was advertisers who said they didn't want it. I doubt users had much say in that. It's not as if the videos are being banned anyway, they just won't have ads on them.

Written By: 80sfan on 09/05/16 at 1:07 am

I can watch anything now, now that I'm over 18!  8)  8)

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/05/16 at 6:36 am

It was advertisers who said they didn't want it. I doubt users had much say in that. It's not as if the videos are being banned anyway, they just won't have ads on them.

But the users already choose their career as YouTubers, since most of the big ones are verified. Especially when most of their videos are monetized, since they tend to make videos for a living. That's why the advertiser-friendly guidelines are causing controversy to them.

Written By: Howard on 09/05/16 at 2:41 pm

or watching animal videos.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/05/16 at 2:42 pm

or watching animal videos.

Or cat videos in general.

Written By: Howard on 09/05/16 at 2:42 pm

for the past 11 years.

Written By: Howard on 09/05/16 at 2:44 pm

Or cat videos in general.

and dog videos too.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/05/16 at 9:34 pm

No, not even close. I think out of all the social media sites that are popular now, YouTube will survive the longest.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/05/16 at 11:14 pm

No, not even close. I think out of all the social media sites that are popular now, YouTube will survive the longest.
...and will keep on going!

Written By: KatanaChick on 09/06/16 at 5:35 am

I agree wholeheartedly the harassment needs to be banned. It needs to be moderated better, the death threats some of the trolls make goes WAY beyond what's necessary.

Entangling YouTube with Google Plus was a garbage idea. It's safer to use an anon alias than be forced to use your name and have the trolls I mentioned above threaten you even further.

I don't comment there or have a YT profile, but I know back in the day you could have customized pages and it was more what you'd expect a social network to be in terms of interactions on those pages and not just the videos. Lack of proper behavior among users killed that whole deal.

YouTube needs a big do over.

Written By: Howard on 09/06/16 at 3:02 pm

I agree Slim.

Written By: Howard on 09/06/16 at 3:03 pm

I agree wholeheartedly the harassment needs to be banned. It needs to be moderated better, the death threats some of the trolls make goes WAY beyond what's necessary.

Entangling YouTube with Google Plus was a garbage idea. It's safer to use an anon alias than be forced to use your name and have the trolls I mentioned above threaten you even further.

I don't comment there or have a YT profile, but I know back in the day you could have customized pages and it was more what you'd expect a social network to be in terms of interactions on those pages and not just the videos. Lack of proper behavior among users killed that whole deal.

YouTube needs a big do over.

When will that happen?  ???

Written By: nintieskid999 on 09/06/16 at 8:21 pm

When I think dead, I mean people just stop using it in massive numbers. Like how Myspace is dead...

Written By: nintieskid999 on 09/06/16 at 8:23 pm

I like it to look at music videos from the past and see things on demand. I think nostalgia is keeping it alive.

Written By: SpyroKev on 09/06/16 at 8:46 pm

I like it to look at music videos from the past and see things on demand. I think nostalgia is keeping it alive.

This post hits home. Nostalgia is definitely one of the major factors. I was just logged in for that reason.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/06/16 at 8:58 pm

Usually when I listen to music, it's most likely from the 2000s. Especially when I saved a playlist on 2000s songs.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/06/16 at 10:22 pm

When I think dead, I mean people just stop using it in massive numbers. Like how Myspace is dead...

Yeah same here.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 09/07/16 at 5:26 am

Usually when I listen to music, it's most likely from the 2000s. Especially when I saved a playlist on 2000s songs.

Most of the songs I listen to on YouTube (which admittedly, isn't very often) are from the 90's. However, I do listen to a few 80's songs and Early 2000's songs from time to time as well. Generally speaking, I prefer to listen to music on the radio or just on CD/phone.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/07/16 at 7:31 am

Most of the songs I listen to on YouTube (which admittedly, isn't very often) are from the 90's. However, I do listen to a few 80's songs and Early 2000's songs from time to time as well. Generally speaking, I prefer to listen to music on the radio or just on CD/phone.

You should listen to it more on your CD collection, or your phone in this case.

Written By: 1999 Baby, 2000s Kid on 09/07/16 at 1:28 pm

Yeah, for me, I listen to '40s, '50s, '60s, '90s, '00s, and '10s music a lot. I listen to a good amount of '70s and '30s as well though. I don't know all the reasons for not listening to much '80s music, but I'm not that big of a fan of the pop music that decade.

2000s music is definitely the one that gets me most nostalgic though, because that's what I heard most growing up. I started listening to a large variety of music early last year though.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 09/07/16 at 2:05 pm

I think it's on its way out soon. I know people still use the site, but honestly, it truly hasn't been the same in the last years due to some unnecessary changes.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/07/16 at 2:11 pm

Something has to replace YouTube in order for it to die out. At the moment, there is nothing out there that makes people want to switch from the huge collection of videos and content YouTube has. So I don't think YouTube is going away any time soon. Facebook and Twitter may go away soon, I feel like they're hanging around too long. I know Facebook is declining because kids don't think it's cool but I wish it would die out faster like MySpace did.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/07/16 at 2:26 pm

I think it's on its way out soon. I know people still use the site, but honestly, it truly hasn't been the same in the last years due to some unnecessary changes.

To me, the site has been dead as f*ck ever since they made those advertiser-friendly guidelines. I know it doesn't really affect the videos that much, but for the fact that YouTubers rely on ad revenue for a long time, it makes me wonder if they would ever make videos again. But besides that, the communities on YouTube are really pathetic to the point where you have to be a bit insane to join them. Especially when they take their crap way too seriously. Don't even get me started on the GoAnimate community.

Something has to replace YouTube in order for it to die out. At the moment, there is nothing out there that makes people want to switch from the huge collection of videos and content YouTube has. So I don't think YouTube is going away any time soon. Facebook and Twitter may go away soon, I feel like they're hanging around too long. I know Facebook is declining because kids don't think it's cool but I wish it would die out faster like MySpace did.

I don't think anybody believes that Facebook is actually cool. It's surrounded by embarrassing family members, where they could post anything really personal to you for the entire world to see. I don't know about YouTube's legacy for now, but I just don't care about it that much.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/07/16 at 2:39 pm

I still love YouTube. I can find any video I want with a click of a button. It's my favourite site and I go on it all the time.

Written By: Howard on 09/07/16 at 3:06 pm

that's how I see it.

Written By: Howard on 09/07/16 at 3:07 pm

I listen to music from the past.

Written By: Howard on 09/07/16 at 3:08 pm

There's also Dailymotion.

Written By: #Infinity on 09/07/16 at 3:14 pm

I think copyright laws are at least partially to blame for the Nostalgia Critic basing half of his new episodes on films still in theaters and attempting to parody them with his marginal crew of writers and actors. Part of what made YouTuve so great and so popular in the first place was that users could liberally comment, parody, and ultimately celebrate the media that their fans loved. Nowadays, only "original" material is considered valid, despite the fact that essentially all creative ideas come from somewhere, unless maybe you fart out nonsense gibberish or something.

Written By: 2001 on 09/07/16 at 3:15 pm

There's also Dailymotion.

Now's Baidu's chance to take over the Western markets  ;D

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/07/16 at 3:28 pm

I think copyright laws are at least partially to blame for the Nostalgia Critic basing half of his new episodes on films still in theaters and attempting to parody them with his marginal crew of writers and actors. Part of what made YouTuve so great and so popular in the first place was that users could liberally comment, parody, and ultimately celebrate the media that their fans loved. Nowadays, only "original" material is considered valid, despite the fact that essentially all creative ideas come from somewhere, unless maybe you fart out nonsense gibberish or something.

It's true that most of the material that you speak of comes from somewhere else. But the only original material are probably rants or videos about people's lives.

Written By: yelimsexa on 09/07/16 at 9:34 pm

Today marks 10 years since I first used YouTube, and what a ride it has been. Sure, the same purpose of searching for videos that interest me is still there, but like most people say, it just doesn't quite have the same soul as it once did. Remember, YouTube is now just another form of online media that competes with Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and personal sites. However, you can't deny the fact that if YouTube would be dead, so would television as this link shows that a billion visitors each month still visit, compared with Netflix at 150 million. People still like to see all the videos on the same site without clicking or scrolling through Tweets/Facebook posts or at different links to a site. As always, once something hits big, it will "sell out" and become more corporate, through ads, copyright enforcement, and pay-per-view services. I honestly believe that the Internet in general has "maxed out" in terms of innovation over the past few years and the future will turn back (hopefully) towards VR, nanotechnology, energy conservation, and aeronautics.

http://www.ebizmba.com/articles/video-websites

Written By: Slim95 on 09/07/16 at 9:40 pm

Today marks 10 years since I first used YouTube, and what a ride it has been. Sure, the same purpose of searching for videos that interest me is still there, but like most people say, it just doesn't quite have the same soul as it once did. Remember, YouTube is now just another form of online media that competes with Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and personal sites. However, you can't deny the fact that if YouTube would be dead, so would television as this link shows that a billion visitors each month still visit, compared with Netflix at 150 million. People still like to see all the videos on the same site without clicking or scrolling through Tweets/Facebook posts or at different links to a site. As always, once something hits big, it will "sell out" and become more corporate, through ads, copyright enforcement, and pay-per-view services. I honestly believe that the Internet in general has "maxed out" in terms of innovation over the past few years and the future will turn back (hopefully) towards VR, nanotechnology, energy conservation, and aeronautics.

Nice, around April of this year marked 10 years since I started using YouTube.

Written By: Fearsword on 09/08/16 at 6:17 am

Seriously? Of course it's not dead, it's still there!

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/08/16 at 6:55 am

Seriously? Of course it's not dead, it's still there!

I didn't meant that literally. I meant that YouTube has been dead by spirit, since you can't upload videos that are inappropriate to advertisers, unless you don't consider being a Youtuber as a career. In other words, the advertiser-friendly guidelines f*cked everything up.

Written By: Howard on 09/08/16 at 3:48 pm

Nice, around April of this year marked 10 years since I started using YouTube.

It's been 10 years for me since I started using YouTube. :)

Written By: 2001 on 09/08/16 at 4:47 pm

Spotify is about to go public, so I'm scared of the same thing happening there. I'm a paying customer, but I could imagine them screwing me over somehow. I've never seen any tech company improve after it has its IPO.  :(

Written By: Howard on 09/09/16 at 7:26 am

Spotify is about to go public, so I'm scared of the same thing happening there. I'm a paying customer, but I could imagine them screwing me over somehow. I've never seen any tech company improve after it has its IPO.  :(

I downloaded Spotify for free.

Written By: 2001 on 09/09/16 at 11:02 am

I downloaded Spotify for free.

They're removing new albums from the free tier.

Written By: Howard on 09/09/16 at 2:22 pm

They're removing new albums from the free tier.

Why are they doing that?

Written By: 2001 on 09/09/16 at 2:44 pm

Why are they doing that?

To make more people upgrade. The article is from December 2015 so it's probably a bunch of nothing.

http://www.techradar.com/news/audio/spotify-may-limit-the-music-you-can-listen-to-on-its-free-service-1310852

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/09/16 at 3:43 pm

To make more people upgrade. The article is from December 2015 so it's probably a bunch of nothing.

http://www.techradar.com/news/audio/spotify-may-limit-the-music-you-can-listen-to-on-its-free-service-1310852

Good thing I have YouTube to listen to music, especially when they have an app for it.

Written By: 2001 on 09/09/16 at 4:46 pm

Good thing I have YouTube to listen to music, especially when they have an app for it.

Don't you have to keep your phone screen open for the audio to keep playing? I remember in early Android in 2010/2011 you didn't need to keep the screen open.  :\'(

Written By: 80sfan on 09/09/16 at 5:33 pm

I don't think Youtube has even peaked yet.  :-X

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/09/16 at 6:25 pm

Don't you have to keep your phone screen open for the audio to keep playing? I remember in early Android in 2010/2011 you didn't need to keep the screen open.  :\'(

Well, there's another app for YouTube called YouTube Music, and you could pretty much listen to endless choices of music.

Written By: musicguy93 on 09/09/16 at 7:20 pm

I completely agree.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/09/16 at 8:20 pm

I don't think Youtube has even peaked yet.  :-X

It went popular ever since late 2006.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/09/16 at 9:57 pm

Mid* 2006 imo.  :)

Written By: Fearsword on 09/09/16 at 10:15 pm

I didn't meant that literally. I meant that YouTube has been dead by spirit, since you can't upload videos that are inappropriate to advertisers, unless you don't consider being a Youtuber as a career. In other words, the advertiser-friendly guidelines f*cked everything up.

It's true that advertisers have watered down the site somewhat although I wouldn't say it's spiritually dead. I have always uploaded videos for fun since I first joined in 2008 and still do today, I never intend to make a career out of it haha.

Written By: 80sfan on 09/09/16 at 10:34 pm

I agree.

Written By: Howard on 09/10/16 at 7:14 am

and it's free.

Written By: Howard on 09/10/16 at 7:18 am

Well, there's another app for YouTube called YouTube Music, and you could pretty much listen to endless choices of music.

I rather watch them then to listen to them.

Written By: 2001 on 09/10/16 at 1:25 pm

I think that's a trial you have there. It's not supposed to work in the background on the free version.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/10/16 at 1:30 pm

I think that's a trial you have there. It's not supposed to work in the background on the free version.

Well you could pay for YouTube Red to get the full experience on the app.

Written By: Howard on 09/10/16 at 5:43 pm

Well you could pay for YouTube Red to get the full experience on the app.

But nobody really wants to pay for it, they want it for free.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/10/16 at 5:58 pm

But nobody really wants to pay for it, they want it for free.

Well unless they want to get rid of those ads.

Written By: Howard on 09/11/16 at 2:49 pm

Well unless they want to get rid of those ads.

I know, you just can't escape them. ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/11/16 at 8:10 pm

I know, you just can't escape them. ::)
I have not seen any where I am.

Written By: Howard on 09/12/16 at 4:18 pm

I have not seen any where I am.

You can always download Ad Block.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/13/16 at 8:50 am

You can always download Ad Block.
At the moment I do not need to.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/13/16 at 10:49 am

At the moment I do not need to.

Especially when a lot of websites don't like it at all. In which case, you have to disable it on their website.

Check for new replies or respond here...