inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Best Psychological Horror Movie (2013-2019)

Written By: AcoBrasil on 09/20/16 at 1:27 pm

The past 4 years (and especially 2016) have been the best in recent memory for fans of psychological horror/suspense as the genre is beginning to shake off its obsession with found footage and overreliance on CGI monsters. I personally think the Visit and Green Room were overrated but enjoyed all of the flicks listed here.

What do you think?

Subject: Re: Best Suspenseful Horror Movie (2013-2016)

Written By: 2001 on 09/20/16 at 1:42 pm

Can I ask what makes a horror movie a "suspenseful" horror?

Out of those, Babadook was my favourite! I found The Visit to be over rated too, it was one of those movies where you're shouting at the TV because of the dumb characters  ;D

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/20/16 at 1:47 pm

The Babadook is the definition of what a psychological horror movie is suppose to be like. Liked it to the beginning to the end.

Written By: AcoBrasil on 09/20/16 at 1:51 pm

"Can I ask what makes a horror movie a "suspenseful" horror?"

Great question.  I am going to try to revise this to read "psychological horror"

Here's the Wikipedia definition - "Psychological horror – Relies on characters' fears, guilt, beliefs, eerie sound effects, relevant music, emotional instability and at times, the supernatural and ghosts, to build tension, scare and further the plot. Notable psychological horror films include: Repulsion, Rosemary's Baby, The Shining, May, I Know Who Killed Me, The Changeling, and The Uninvited."

I am focusing on movies that emphasize character development, suspense, and atmospherics over jump scares, gore, and CGI overload.

Subject: Re: Best Psychological Horror Movie (2013-2016)

Written By: 80sfan on 09/20/16 at 2:09 pm

Johnny Depp plays an amazing Babadook.  :(  :(

Written By: Ripley on 09/20/16 at 2:09 pm

I said Other for the simple fact that I haven't seen all of these.

I've seen The Conjuring and it was okay but not as good as I expected. I remember people saying how it sucked so I didn't see in theaters as I had planned. But I read up on the family and liked the story. Now at the end of it it looked like it was leading us to Amityville for the sequal. I haven't read up or payed much attention to trailers for the second one but I don't think it is about it. I'm sure you've read about how the guy, the killer/son Defoe confessed it was all made up. He didn't have ghosts possessing him. But yet the Lutz insist it's all true. And I believe it is. I have seen the REAL footage that the Warrens recorded and I have read several other accounts. I'm actually going to create a discussion about this on the board. I'll put the link here after I do. But I'll check the new one out when it gets to DVD.

I didn't like Oculus. It was just blah.

Jug Face was a weird one and I like weird. But I wish that girl would of high tailed it out of there early on in the film. It was an alright film though.

Annabelle was creepy. But the best doll movie is Don't Say A Word. Check it out if you haven't.

The Visit was great. No spoilers but that was a great ending. Nice film. M Night was brilliant with that one.

The rest I've yet to see but The Witch I want to see. I think the Insidious films though are quite suspenseful and #2 falls into this year range. Horror has been real iffy in the last two decades. But the first 2 of those films are at the top for the 2010's.

Written By: Ripley on 09/20/16 at 2:41 pm

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=54415.0

Written By: Ripley on 09/20/16 at 2:43 pm

Have you seen Secret Window? That fits perfectly into this category.

Written By: 80sfan on 09/20/16 at 6:57 pm

No, not yet.

Written By: 2001 on 09/20/16 at 7:03 pm

Out of those, I've only seen The Conjuring, Babadook, The Visit, The Boy and Annabelle.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/20/16 at 7:10 pm

Tim Purcell actually plays the Babadook. I'm not sure where you got that from.

Written By: 80sfan on 09/20/16 at 7:16 pm

Tim Purcell actually plays the Babadook. I'm not sure where you got that from.

At certain angles and scenes, the Babadook looks like Johnny Depp.  ;D  ;D

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/20/16 at 7:29 pm

At certain angles and scenes, the Babadook looks like Johnny Depp.  ;D  ;D

I thought the Babadook looked nothing like Depp, since he looked like he was played by an older man.

Written By: AcoBrasil on 09/20/16 at 8:19 pm

I said Other for the simple fact that I haven't seen all of these.

I've seen The Conjuring and it was okay but not as good as I expected. I remember people saying how it sucked so I didn't see in theaters as I had planned. But I read up on the family and liked the story. Now at the end of it it looked like it was leading us to Amityville for the sequal. I haven't read up or payed much attention to trailers for the second one but I don't think it is about it. I'm sure you've read about how the guy, the killer/son Defoe confessed it was all made up. He didn't have ghosts possessing him. But yet the Lutz insist it's all true. And I believe it is. I have seen the REAL footage that the Warrens recorded and I have read several other accounts. I'm actually going to create a discussion about this on the board. I'll put the link here after I do. But I'll check the new one out when it gets to DVD.

I didn't like Oculus. It was just blah.

Jug Face was a weird one and I like weird. But I wish that girl would of high tailed it out of there early on in the film. It was an alright film though.

Annabelle was creepy. But the best doll movie is Don't Say A Word. Check it out if you haven't.

The Visit was great. No spoilers but that was a great ending. Nice film. M Night was brilliant with that one.

The rest I've yet to see but The Witch I want to see. I think the Insidious films though are quite suspenseful and #2 falls into this year range. Horror has been real iffy in the last two decades. But the first 2 of those films are at the top for the 2010's.

The Conjuring was a great 70s-style suspense up until the ghost scene at the end.  The camera work was what really made it special.  The cameraman from the Conjuring directed Annabelle, which is what gave it a similarly eerie feel.  I'm looking forward to seeing your linked post on the subject, and I'm really looking forward to seeing the Conjuring II.

The Witch was fantastic.  The director really created a perfect timepiece that held up to academic scrutiny and the story is filled with symbolism and open to a lot of interesting interpretation.

Written By: AcoBrasil on 09/20/16 at 8:22 pm

The Babadook is the definition of what a psychological horror movie is suppose to be like. Liked it to the beginning to the end.

I liked Babadook a lot, but not as much as the first three on the list.

Subject: Re: Best Psychological Horror Movie (2013-2019)

Written By: AcoBrasil on 09/20/16 at 8:23 pm

I saw it and agree.  Good flick.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/20/16 at 8:25 pm

I liked Babadook a lot, but not as much as the first three on the list.

I found The Conjuring, Babadook, Goodnight Mommy, and The Visit to be the most terrifying from your list.

Written By: AcoBrasil on 09/20/16 at 8:42 pm

I found The Conjuring, Babadook, Goodnight Mommy, and The Visit to be the most terrifying from your list.

Interesting.  The Conjuring was the creepiest for me and Annabelle had its moments. I didn't find any of the others scary, but I enjoy watching the genre mostly for atmospherics and interpretive value. Good horror movies that meet those qualifications are few and far between.

I have built up a high tolerance to horror movies.  The only other horror movie that has creeped me out more as an adult was Session 9 which is the only movie I have seen that comes close to Halloween I for suspense value.

Written By: AcoBrasil on 09/23/16 at 10:02 am

Here are the new flicks that I'm looking forward to seeing most:

Lights Out
Conjuring 2
The Darkness
The Other Side of the Door
Neon Demon
Don't Breathe
The House on Pine Street
Southbound
Tales of Halloween
Trick 'R Treat (a bit older than the rest)

Written By: AcoBrasil on 11/08/16 at 2:27 pm

Update:

Still waiting to see Lights Out, Don't Breath, and Trick or Treat.

Conjuring 2 was great - almost as good as the original - many like it better. 

The Darkness was not.  Tales of Halloween very bad, though I support making more movies about the Holiday.

Other Side of the Door and the House on Pine Street - watchable but forgettable.

Neon Demon demented... like all of the director's other movies.  Worthwhile.

Southbound. Solid and cerebral.

Lights Out
Conjuring 2
The Darkness
The Other Side of the Door
Neon Demon
Don't Breathe
The House on Pine Street
Southbound
Tales of Halloween
Trick 'R Treat (a bit older than the rest)

Written By: AcoBrasil on 09/26/19 at 12:58 pm

A24 Studios has stormed the castle.  Here are ones I enjoyed watching recently:

Hereditary
Blackcoat's Daughter
Krishna
Annihilation

Director Mike Flanagan is also a big decade winner.

Check for new replies or respond here...