inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: YouTube Heroes

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/21/16 at 4:35 pm

I'm not making this up. There's an actual program from YouTube of where you could help other people on the site. You could do crap like flagging videos, add dumb captions, and talk to other idiotic members on the site. First there's WTFU, then there's the dumb advertiser-friendly guidelines, and now we have this prespammersite bullcrap that nobody needed. This is why YouTube is total sh*t nowadays. Nobody had to deal with these features back in the 2000s/early 2010s. It makes me wonder why  do people need this? Just why?!

Wh_1966vaIA

Subject: Re: YouTube Heroes

Written By: #Infinity on 09/21/16 at 8:40 pm

Yep, that is indeed a pretty desperate ploy to keep the "You" in YouTube. Let's face it though, if YouTube continues its degeneration from a user-friendly video network into a pompous corporate service, it'll open more windows for independent video outlets. People too often forget that even in the late 2000s, YouTube was hardly the only source for popular web videos; even channels as big as the Angry Video Game Nerd and CollegHumour promoted their works primarily on their own websites as opposed to YouTube.

Speaking of which, even if YouTube demonetizes all of James Rolfe's videos from the past decade, he'll still always have sponsors at his own site, where inventively liberal cussing isn't anybody's business. In fact, from what I understand, James was almost forced to end the Angry Video Game Nerd at the end of 2006 and only got to press on because GameTrailers offered him contracts that allowed him to earn money; all of his 2007-2011 videos were only available on GameTrailers, ScrewAttack, Spike, or Cinemassacre.com at first and usually took over a year and a half before arriving on YouTube.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/21/16 at 9:04 pm

Yep, that is indeed a pretty desperate ploy to keep the "You" in YouTube. Let's face it though, if YouTube continues its degeneration from a user-friendly video network into a pompous corporate service, it'll open more windows for independent video outlets. People too often forget that even in the late 2000s, YouTube was hardly the only source for popular web videos; even channels as big as the Angry Video Game Nerd and CollegHumour promoted their works primarily on their own websites as opposed to YouTube.

Yeah. Even back then, nobody used to believe that YouTube would replace TV services across the globe. Okay, maybe they predicted that, but it wasn't like the Internet promoted YouTube so much at the time.

Speaking of which, even if YouTube demonetizes all of James Rolfe's videos from the past decade, he'll still always have sponsors at his own site, where inventively liberal cussing isn't anybody's business. In fact, from what I understand, James was almost forced to end the Angry Video Game Nerd at the end of 2006 and only got to press on because GameTrailers offered him contracts that allowed him to earn money; all of his 2007-2011 videos were only available on GameTrailers, ScrewAttack, Spike, or Cinemassacre.com at first and usually took over a year and a half before arriving on YouTube.

No wonder most of his Season 2 videos were uploaded around 2009.

Written By: 2001 on 09/21/16 at 9:48 pm

I've seen some successful implementation of community-based moderation, such as on Quora and Stack Overflow, although those sites are predisposed to attracting more intelligent people in the first place. I'd have to wait and see how this goes. It's not like it can get any worse (famous last words).

Written By: 80sfan on 09/21/16 at 11:28 pm

Are the wilderness years of YouTube over?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/22/16 at 5:43 am

Are the wilderness years of YouTube over?

They've been over a long time ago. Between 2011-2013, to be exact.

Check for new replies or respond here...