inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The mid 2010s has the most boring music ever

Written By: nintieskid999 on 10/15/16 at 3:38 pm

This year, there's no songs I like other than Perfect Illusion (the rest of Gaga's album has yet to be). It's the worst year for music I've ever heard. I turn on the radio and there's nothing to like.

Subject: Re: The mid 2010s has the most boring music ever

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/15/16 at 3:52 pm

I thought most people agree that we're already in the brink of the late 2010s. Why are we talking about the mid 2010s all of a sudden?

Written By: nintieskid999 on 10/15/16 at 3:57 pm

I thought most people agree that we're already in the brink of the late 2010s. Why are we talking about the mid 2010s all of a sudden?

It's not the late 2010s until either Hillary or Trump gets inaugurated.

Written By: Emman on 10/15/16 at 3:58 pm

I completely agree, all the "trends" we have are recycled water downed sub-bar versions of previous eras, I can't think of anything original or exciting.

It seems like everything is stagnant, like music, fashion, car design, tech, politics, the economy.

But many people want real change, that's why Trump became the Republican nominee, and I sense great change is coming in the 2020s.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 10/15/16 at 4:14 pm

I completely agree, all the "trends" we have are recycled water downed sub-bar versions of previous eras, I can't think of anything original or exciting.

It seems like everything is stagnant, like music, fashion, car design, tech, politics, the economy.

But many people want real change, that's why Trump became the Republican nominee, and I sense great change is coming in the 2020s.

Why isn't the music industry catching up to people's actual tastes?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/15/16 at 4:50 pm

I feel like the actual late 2010s would start when either of them gets elected in November.

They are catching up to people's tastes. By that, I meant only the stupid people who keep retweeting their favorite dumb celebrities who are somehow mainstream.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 10/15/16 at 5:13 pm

I feel like the actual late 2010s would start when either of them gets elected in November.

Well they can't actually make any decisions before inauguration. Obama will technically be president until then.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/15/16 at 5:14 pm

Well they can't actually make any decisions before inauguration. Obama will technically be president until then.

But people would still know who the president would be on January.

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/15/16 at 5:26 pm

I wish Ke$ha would come out with her next song, so that the suckdom that is 2016 music can end.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/15/16 at 5:28 pm

I wish Ke$ha would come out with her next song, so that the suckdom that is 2016 music can end.

I think Ke$ha made a song with Zedd earlier this year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/True_Colors_(Zedd_and_Kesha_song)

Written By: JordanK1982 on 10/15/16 at 10:28 pm

I have to disagree about everything today being recycled from previous eras (aside from the constant remakes). If this were the case then maybe things today would be more tolerable. Trap rap crap, indie pop garbage, hipster social justice warriors and whatever the hell kids are wearing these days are things to a level of bullsh!t that we haven't seen before. 8-P

Written By: musicguy93 on 10/16/16 at 2:24 am

Because music/fashion is still completely indistinguishable from the mid 2010s.

Written By: musicguy93 on 10/16/16 at 2:29 am

I have to disagree about everything today being recycled from previous eras (aside from the constant remakes). If this were the case then maybe things today would be more tolerable. Trap rap crap, indie pop garbage, hipster social justice warriors and whatever the hell kids are wearing these days are things to a level of bullsh!t that we haven't seen before. 8-P

The worst part about all those trends is that they seemed to have gotten stronger this year. I really hope it means that they have all reached a boiling point in 2016, so that they will begin to decline in the late 2010s.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 10/16/16 at 2:57 am

The worst part about all those trends is that they seemed to have gotten stronger this year. I really hope it means that they have all reached a boiling point in 2016, so that they will begin to decline in the late 2010s.

I sure hope so. Current trends make me wanna puke. 8-P

Written By: Elor on 10/16/16 at 7:13 am

Yeah, this year seems to be especially terrible. Whenever I listen to music on the radio in my car it doesn't take 10 minutes before I switch stations because some ultra crap is played. Another 10 minutes and I switch again to avoid the next big excuse for music and after another 10 minutes I usually switch off. 8-P
There have been mediocre singers before who only sounded good in studio recordings (Boney M anyone?) but at least they did sound good in studio recordings. Nowadays we have people here on radio in Germany who have no voice whatsoever and sound crappy even in a studio recorded song with all the bells and whistles from modern editing. 8-P

I think it's all going in one direction and not only with music but pretty much everything ->Big cash with no effort.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/16/16 at 8:28 am

Yeah, this year seems to be especially terrible. Whenever I listen to music on the radio in my car it doesn't take 10 minutes before I switch stations because some ultra crap is played. Another 10 minutes and I switch again to avoid the next big excuse for music and after another 10 minutes I usually switch off. 8-P
There have been mediocre singers before who only sounded good in studio recordings (Boney M anyone?) but at least they did sound good in studio recordings. Nowadays we have people here on radio in Germany who have no voice whatsoever and sound crappy even in a studio recorded song with all the bells and whistles from modern editing. 8-P

I think it's all going in one direction and not only with music but pretty much everything ->Big cash with no effort.

You could just turn off the radio, if you don't like it so much nowadays. Not trying to be rude, but I don't really care about listening to stuff on the radio. Even where I live, it's all just trap rap and whatever the hell people like somehow.

I sure hope so. Current trends make me wanna puke. 8-P

And old people said the same thing about 90s/early 2000s trends. But at least they made sense.

Written By: SpyroKev on 10/16/16 at 9:40 am

You could just turn off the radio, if you don't like it so much nowadays. Not trying to be rude, but I don't really care about listening to stuff on the radio. Even where I live, it's all just trap rap and whatever the hell people like somehow.

And old people said the same thing about 90s/early 2000s trends. But at least they made sense.

I still use the radio, but only as sound on certain occasions and on Sunday mornings when they play throwbacks. I wouldn't depend on the radio anymore though. Your iPod or Touch Phone is your radio now. If you own neither, get either. Or you'll be constantly annoyed.

The only song from 2016 I managed to develop a like for is No Problems by Chance The Rapper. Its going to give me 2016 nostalgia for sure.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/16/16 at 9:48 am

I still use the radio, but only as sound on certain occasions and on Sunday mornings when they play throwbacks. I wouldn't depend on the radio anymore though. Your iPod or Touch Phone is your radio now. If you own neither, get either. Or you'll be constantly annoyed.

I use YouTube as my radio. Whenever I'm using my computer, or using my iPhone, it's always like my radio whenever I want to listen to songs. It makes today's radio look like an obscure piece of crap.

Written By: Elor on 10/16/16 at 10:45 am

You could just turn off the radio, if you don't like it so much nowadays.
That's true but then I would be even less up to date with what's going on in music (not that I am up to date by a long shot) and actually might miss something good that's new. In Germany we've got a saying: Hope is the last to die. ::)

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/16/16 at 10:50 am

That's true but then I would be even less up to date with what's going on in music (not that I am up to date by a long shot) and actually might miss something good that's new. In Germany we've got a saying: Hope is the last to die. ::)

But maybe you could listen to other stations that don't have a lot of mainstream music. Tons of people in America are doing that, since they don't listen to a lot of mainstream music.

Written By: Elor on 10/16/16 at 2:20 pm

But maybe you could listen to other stations that don't have a lot of mainstream music. Tons of people in America are doing that, since they don't listen to a lot of mainstream music.
There aren't any in my area... I could listen to classical stuff but that isn't my cup of tea either. Maybe i should give that rock radio station another go but they usually get on my nerves after a couple of minutes too.

Written By: Howard on 10/16/16 at 2:32 pm

cause they don't care.

Written By: Howard on 10/16/16 at 2:34 pm

I've been listening to the internet radio for oldies.

Written By: Howard on 10/16/16 at 2:35 pm

I use YouTube as my radio. Whenever I'm using my computer, or using my iPhone, it's always like my radio whenever I want to listen to songs. It makes today's radio look like an obscure piece of crap.

I listen to Accuradio, Pandora and radiotunes.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/16/16 at 3:08 pm

There aren't any in my area... I could listen to classical stuff but that isn't my cup of tea either. Maybe i should give that rock radio station another go but they usually get on my nerves after a couple of minutes too.

Well... I don't know what to tell you. I've never been to Germany before, so I'm not sure what kind of music do they play there. In America, it's mostly rap music. It's probably the same with Canada. But in Europe, I don't really know what kind of music do they like there. Maybe eurobeat music, but I don't know.

Written By: Elor on 10/16/16 at 3:27 pm

Well... I don't know what to tell you. I've never been to Germany before, so I'm not sure what kind of music do they play there. In America, it's mostly rap music. It's probably the same with Canada. But in Europe, I don't really know what kind of music do they like there. Maybe eurobeat music, but I don't know.
Mainly pop. Rap isn't exactly popular here.
In case you want to get a sample this is the stream of one of the stations I can get in my car:
http://webradio.antenne.com/onair
Most stations here are completely interchangeable with pretty much then exact same music... ::)
It might be better in other parts of Germany but here it's all the same
Thankfully they have an 80is stream too so I can at least get some good stuff when I'm at home at my computer.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/16/16 at 4:00 pm

Mainly pop. Rap isn't exactly popular here.
In case you want to get a sample this is the stream of one of the stations I can get in my car:
http://webradio.antenne.com/onair
Most stations here are completely interchangeable with pretty much then exact same music... ::)
It might be better in other parts of Germany but here it's all the same
Thankfully they have an 80is stream too so I can at least get some good stuff when I'm at home at my computer.

Well, if most of the radio stations in your area are the same stuff, then I could tell why you feel that way. Music nowadays is just crap to me, and I don't want to bother about it so much.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 10/16/16 at 5:20 pm

It's still the mid 2010s until inauguration to me. It still feels mid 2010s to me.

Written By: Zelek3 on 10/16/16 at 5:21 pm

Everyone says the current era is the worst era of music ever. :P This is an endless cycle.

For example, on this board and PersonalityCafe, I see people looking back fondly on the "Electropop era", even though at the time I remember that kind of music being widely hated.

Also, people nowadays are nostalgic for Britney, NSYNC, Sum-41, Blink-182, Backstreet Boys, Smash Mouth, etc., but again, I remember them getting bashed to hell when they were actually around.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 10/16/16 at 5:51 pm

Everyone says the current era is the worst era of music ever. :P This is an endless cycle.

For example, on this board and PersonalityCafe, I see people looking back fondly on the "Electropop era", even though at the time I remember that kind of music being widely hated.

Also, people nowadays are nostalgic for Britney, NSYNC, Sum-41, Blink-182, Backstreet Boys, Smash Mouth, etc., but again, I remember them getting bashed to hell when they were actually around.

I liked the
"pure" electropop. I hated the trap rap mixed electropop so I sort of got them confused.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/16/16 at 5:56 pm

To be fair, there's a few songs that I like from the mid 2010s, but I wouldn't say they're as good as the 2000s.

The electropop era wasn't really the greatest time for music. It was more like a bronze age where music started to be lame, and everyone else tries to act like Lady Gaga or Ke$ha. Although, it wasn't entirely bad.

Weren't those bands became acceptable to be nostalgic for, since early 2000s nostalgia was actually relevant?

I liked the
"pure" electropop. I hated the trap rap mixed electropop so I sort of got them confused.

I don't think there's no such thing as "trap rap mixed electropop".

Written By: Emman on 10/16/16 at 7:10 pm

But trap rap is like 15 years old, it's weird to me because many people are acting like it's a brand new style of rap? Indie pop has been around since the '80s(although it was more underground then), and the SJW millennials are pushing ideas(started by their Boomer professors) from the late '60s and '70s.

There's a dull indistinctness to fashion today, it's either perennial casual staples that's been around for decades or lame mishmashes of recent decades. 

It's like the entire idea of decades is fading away, decades use to be very distinct from one another. 1973 is very different from 1963, that was a huge chasm. Same thing when you compare a year like 1987 to 10 years earlier 1977, it's datedness is so apparent with 10 years time. I honestly cannot really tell 2016 apart from what I remember of 2006, they seem interchangeable, the only exception is in politics.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 10/16/16 at 8:03 pm

But trap rap is like 15 years old, it's weird to me because many people are acting like it's a brand new style of rap? Indie pop has been around since the '80s(although it was more underground then), and the SJW millennials are pushing ideas(started by their Boomer professors) from the late '60s and '70s.

There's a dull indistinctness to fashion today, it's either perennial casual staples that's been around for decades or lame mishmashes of recent decades. 

It's like the entire idea of decades is fading away, decades use to be very distinct from one another. 1973 is very different from 1963, that was a huge chasm. Same thing when you compare a year like 1987 to 10 years earlier 1977, it's datedness is so apparent with 10 years time. I honestly cannot really tell 2016 apart from what I remember of 2006, they seem interchangeable, the only exception is in politics.

I don't know anything about Trap Rap but I'm guessing it was underground in the 00's, right? That happens all the time where underground styles get mainstream exposure during the next decade. New Wave started in the late 70's but exploded in the 80's. Same with Grunge, which started in 1984 but didn't hit the mainstream until 1991. I wouldn't say it really counts as recycling. I see it as this: It's a new idea in the mainstream world even if it's already been done in the underground.

Concerning indie pop (which wasn't really a term in the 80's. People tended to refer to it as college or alt. rock) compare these 80's songs:

Ac0oaXhz1u8

J1sYN0PuRs4

vV2kJ0rSfKU

To the 2010s:

Y66j_BUCBMY

RBumgq5yVrA

nky4me4NP70

The 80's was so much rawer and Punk Rock influenced (Husker Du was Hardcore Punk from Land Speed Record to Zen Arcade and Dinosaur Jr. members used to be in Deep Wound. Direct connections to Punk Rock) whereas the 2010's has all these weird lame ukulele noises with faux-jazz Adele voices. Today's indie pop is a disgrace when compared to the 80's. SJW ideas weren't the norm or remotely mainstream until this decade. A lot of this stuff has roots in the 60's and 70's but to the level that things are today? Go beyond the surface and it's a lot different.

But all things are like that. You mix and match and that creates something new. Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending the fashion of today as I agree it sucks. I'm just saying that the cuts, styles and fits are pretty distinct to the times. People called the 90's a "rehash of the 70s" too.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/16/16 at 8:37 pm

I don't know anything about Trap Rap but I'm guessing it was underground in the 00's, right? That happens all the time where underground styles get mainstream exposure during the next decade. New Wave started in the late 70's but exploded in the 80's. Same with Grunge, which started in 1984 but didn't hit the mainstream until 1991. I wouldn't say it really counts as recycling. I see it as this: It's a new idea in the mainstream world even if it's already been done in the underground.

Actually, trap music (the genre that trap rap originated from) existed since the 90s. But they were mostly an underground theme until the 2010s.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 10/16/16 at 10:13 pm

I don't think there's no such thing as "trap rap mixed electropop".

It's all over the radio and has been all throughout the 2010s.

Electropop was a lot better than what's here now. You could jam in your car to it
Now? It's like blegh get this off now

Written By: bchris02 on 10/16/16 at 10:28 pm

This year, there's no songs I like other than Perfect Illusion (the rest of Gaga's album has yet to be). It's the worst year for music I've ever heard. I turn on the radio and there's nothing to like.

I agree with this, though 2015 and 2016 have had more good songs than 2013 and 2014 (which were the two worst years for music in my lifetime).  Music hasn't been overall good since 2012.

2016 has had a lot of garbage but its also had a few gems.  I'll be glad when Top 40 finally moves on from Ariana Grande teen pop and other imitation artists.  Every time it seems like it's about to go away, a new round of albums are released and its blowing up the airwaves again.  That style of music is the worst of mid '10s music.  Maybe slightly worse is disco revival, which also seems like it keeps going on and on.

Here is one of the worst new offenders.  This sound needs to go.

IdymkbLAuAk

Trap rap isn't as good as the late '00s synth-influenced glam rap, but it isn't the worst thing to come out of the mid 2010s.

Written By: musicguy93 on 10/17/16 at 1:33 am

I agree with this, though 2015 and 2016 have had more good songs than 2013 and 2014 (which were the two worst years for music in my lifetime).  Music hasn't been overall good since 2012.

2016 has had a lot of garbage but its also had a few gems.  I'll be glad when Top 40 finally moves on from Ariana Grande teen pop and other imitation artists.  Every time it seems like it's about to go away, a new round of albums are released and its blowing up the airwaves again.  That style of music is the worst of mid '10s music.  Maybe slightly worse is disco revival, which also seems like it keeps going on and on.

Here is one of the worst new offenders.  This sound needs to go.

IdymkbLAuAk

Trap rap isn't as good as the late '00s synth-influenced glam rap, but it isn't the worst thing to come out of the mid 2010s.

Yeah, that sort of melody and beat is so oversaturated. Same with those those vocals, which are like nails on a chalkboard. I hope it all dies out soon. Mid 2010s culture is actually making me angry. No joke. I really wish I were exaggerating.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/17/16 at 6:53 am

It's all over the radio and has been all throughout the 2010s.

Electropop was a lot better than what's here now. You could jam in your car to it
Now? It's like blegh get this off now

I could get trap rap, but electropop wasn't really popular since the end of the early 2010s.

Written By: bchris02 on 10/17/16 at 10:16 am

Yeah, that sort of melody and beat is so oversaturated. Same with those those vocals, which are like nails on a chalkboard. I hope it all dies out soon. Mid 2010s culture is actually making me angry. No joke. I really wish I were exaggerating.

It seemed like it was on its way out in late 2015 and earlier in 2016, but now it's as popular again as it was in 2013 and 2014.  I actually liked the first half of this year.  Not as much teen pop and the sound was actually the most diverse its been in a long time.

Written By: bchris02 on 10/17/16 at 10:21 am

I hear that same thing from other people I know in their early twenties.  18-25 is the prime age for Top 40 music and popular culture.  You know it's bad when so many people in that age group are rejecting it.  I really can't see anybody who isn't under 15 and female liking mid-10s culture.

I am glad I spent my early twenties in the late '00s and early '10s.  It was a very exciting time to be that age.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 10/17/16 at 2:44 pm

Some people like to listen to music when they drive. That's why we care about the radio. I need something on and it's not exactly practical to use youtube while driving.

Written By: Howard on 10/17/16 at 2:48 pm

Well, if most of the radio stations in your area are the same stuff, then I could tell why you feel that way. Music nowadays is just crap to me, and I don't want to bother about it so much.

I can listen to oldies on the internet.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 10/17/16 at 2:50 pm

Not quite, it's When they get elected! ;)

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 10/17/16 at 3:04 pm

I am glad I spent my early twenties in the late '00s and early '10s.  It was a very exciting time to be that age.

You were also in your mid 20s as well.... since you were born in 85.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/17/16 at 3:07 pm

And late 20s, since he was 27 in 2012.

Written By: bchris02 on 10/17/16 at 5:25 pm

I tend to lump my early 20s and mid 20s together since age 22 through 26 for me were very similar (great years).  The culture was also similar throughout those years.

I was 26 when I moved back to my hometown in 2012 (right before I turned 27) and that began my late 20s.  The second half of 2012 is also when mid '10s culture began in my opinion.  That summer you had "Call Me Maybe" which set the tone for mid '10s music.  One Direction was huge and Justin Bieber had become edgier.  Electropop was on its way out as was Dubstep. Imagine Dragons and Macklemore became big that fall, both of which are far more mid '10s than early '10s.

Written By: 1999 Baby, 2000s Kid on 10/17/16 at 5:53 pm

The mid 2010s aren't as bad as people think they are. Every decade has bad and good music. It's just after so much time, people know the good music from that decade (the 80s for example which I think had a lot of bad pop music), and people tend to remember the good things and forget or not think about the bad things. The good songs from nowadays are going to be how 2010s music will be remembered by most people eventually.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/17/16 at 6:03 pm

The mid 2010s aren't as bad as people think they are. Every decade has bad and good music. It's just after so much time, people know the good music from that decade (the 80s for example which I think had a lot of bad pop music), and people tend to remember the good things and forget or not think about the bad things. The good songs from nowadays are going to be how 2010s music will be remembered by most people eventually.

Most of the songs that would be remembered by most people in the 2010s would be either the trap rap, pop, and dubstep, which has been playing non-stop on radios for a while. Although, dubstep has been dated for about two or three years.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 10/17/16 at 7:41 pm

I tend to lump my early 20s and mid 20s together since age 22 through 26 for me were very similar (great years).  The culture was also similar throughout those years.

I was 26 when I moved back to my hometown in 2012 (right before I turned 27) and that began my late 20s.  The second half of 2012 is also when mid '10s culture began in my opinion.  That summer you had "Call Me Maybe" which set the tone for mid '10s music.  One Direction was huge and Justin Bieber had become edgier.  Electropop was on its way out as was Dubstep. Imagine Dragons and Macklemore became big that fall, both of which are far more mid '10s than early '10s.

Great story Chris. :)
I'm uneasy calling late 2012 and 2013 mid 10s. Their Core 10s yes. But mid 10s HELL no.  ;D ;)

Written By: mqg96 on 10/17/16 at 10:08 pm

2014 was the best year for music of the mid 2010's so far!

Written By: mqg96 on 10/17/16 at 10:10 pm

Great story Chris. :)
I'm uneasy calling late 2012 and 2013 mid 10s. Their Core 10s yes. But mid 10s HELL no.  ;D ;)

I totally agree. Now while I agree that mid 2010's culture in many ways weren't in full effect 100% until mid 2014 or even 2015 in many ways (quintessentially). To me, mid 2010's culture would have always began in late 2013, that's how I feel personally. However, I'm with you that late 2012 and most of 2013 was the tail end of early 2010's culture, even though it was kinda transitioning over at the same time. It was definitely the start of the core 2010's without a question. When I think of the peak of early 2010's culture, the 2010-2011 season/school year immediately comes to mind.

Written By: 80sfan on 10/17/16 at 10:12 pm

I like the songs on the radio, these days.  :-X  :-X

Written By: Slim95 on 10/17/16 at 10:43 pm

There have been some good releases in the mid 10s. The best songs actually came from non-mainstream music. Overall, the mid 2010s aren't bad for music. For mainstream music there has been a couple good releases as well that I enjoyed, especially from 2013. 2016 and maybe 2014 are the worst years for music in the mid 2010s, but even these years there were some good songs. The early 2010s has had the worst music of all time in my opinion. Early 2010s music was just plain garbage.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/17/16 at 10:47 pm

I totally agree. Now while I agree that mid 2010's culture in many ways weren't in full effect 100% until mid 2014 or even 2015 in many ways (quintessentially). To me, mid 2010's culture would have always began in late 2013, that's how I feel personally. However, I'm with you that late 2012 and most of 2013 was the tail end of early 2010's culture, even though it was kinda transitioning over at the same time. It was definitely the start of the core 2010's without a question. When I think of the peak of early 2010's culture, the 2010-2011 season/school year immediately comes to mind.

Peak early 2010s was in 2012. The early 10s started fading away in mid 2013. As for core 10s, you could easily say that started in 2011.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/17/16 at 10:51 pm

I could get trap rap, but electropop wasn't really popular since the end of the early 2010s.

electropop is still popular. Just a different form and sound than how it was in the early 2010s. It sounds much better now to be honest. Autotune use has decreased as well in pop music though trap rap songs still use it like crazy. The 2010s will probably be remembered as the "electropop decade" or even the "Lady Gaga decade". The most definitive period of the 2010s so far is the early 2010s.

Written By: mqg96 on 10/18/16 at 12:05 am

Peak early 2010s was in 2012. The early 10s started fading away in mid 2013. As for core 10s, you could easily say that started in 2011.

Very subjective though. 2012 while it was still early 2010's, it did bring in a lot of the earliest mid 2010's influences, which is why I don't consider it as the peak of early 2010's anymore, but that's just me. I think 2011 as a whole is a more appropriate year to mark as the peak of early 2010's culture. As for the core 2010's starting in 2011, that doesn't make any sense to me.....

Written By: Slim95 on 10/18/16 at 12:12 am

Very subjective though. 2012 while it was still early 2010's, it did bring in a lot of the earliest mid 2010's influences, which is why I don't consider it as the peak of early 2010's anymore, but that's just me. I think 2011 as a whole is a more appropriate year to mark as the peak of early 2010's culture. As for the core 2010's starting in 2011, that doesn't make any sense to me.....

2012 had zero mid 10s influences to me. I clearly remember that year waiting for change and never getting it until early 2013. Why doesn't 2011 make sense to you? That's the year smartphones took over slider phones, electropop was huge, the last of the 2000s influences left. Why does it seem weird to you for core 10s to start in 2011? I would say 2009 but the core 2010s influences haven't been yet fully established then. 2011 seems like the perfect year when the core 2010s started. Kinda like how 2001 after 9/11 was when the core 00s started.

Also, I should add Adele became super popular in 2011 with her song Rolling in the Deep. That was around the start of the hipster culture too. I just don't see why 2011 being the start of the core 10s seems off to you...

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 10/18/16 at 12:08 pm

Agreed Marquis. Chris is focusing WAY too much on music to determine what's early or mid.
2012 still felt like a solid early 10s year to me. 2013 was the true signs of mid 10s coming.

Chris used Carly Rae, Macklemore, and Imagine dragons as examples to why he thinks the mid 10s began early to him. That stuff was transitional at best.
During that time you still had no Megan Trainor, Sia, Uptown funk, SJWs, BLM, racial issues, Better Call Saul, Flash, Fear the walking dead, etc. Those are things that come to mind when I think of the mid 10s.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/18/16 at 1:41 pm

Agreed Marquis. Chris is focusing WAY too much on music to determine what's early or mid.
2012 still felt like a solid early 10s year to me. 2013 was the true signs of mid 10s coming.

Chris used Carly Rae, Macklemore, and Imagine dragons as examples to why he thinks the mid 10s began early to him. That stuff was transitional at best.
During that time you still had no Megan Trainor, Sia, Uptown funk, SJWs, BLM, racial issues, Better Call Saul, Flash, Fear the walking dead, etc. Those are things that come to mind when I think of the mid 10s.

The thing is, Carly Rae's song came out in 2011, not 2012 and was popular on the radio here in Canada late 2011. Macklemore came out on the radio everywhere in 2013, not 2012. That's why it's really not a good idea to use music from a couple artists as a basis. Besides, Carly Rae's "Call Me Maybe" sounds nothing like a mid 10s song to me anyway. Thrift Shop came out in 2013 on the mainstream radio. I agree with you, 2013 is when the signs of the mid 10s started coming and 2013 was the transitional year, not 2012.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/18/16 at 1:45 pm

I think the peak of the early 2010s were 2011.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/18/16 at 1:46 pm

I disagree. 2012 was totally a classic early 10s year in all ways and was at its peak. 2013 was early 10s in some ways but that year you started to see mid 10s influences coming.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/18/16 at 2:12 pm

I disagree. 2012 was totally a classic early 10s year in all ways and was at its peak. 2013 was early 10s in some ways but that year you started to see mid 10s influences coming.

Yeah, but to me (and most people here) would probably think of 2012 as a more modern year. Hell, I even believe that 2012 is more modern towards my personal life, since it was the first year after Steve Jobs died (who was my favorite person), and my adolescence started to prevail at the time. The only things that kinda make 2012 dated is Obama's reelection in November, and the fact that most political issues didn't rise at the time.

Written By: Howard on 10/18/16 at 2:43 pm

I like the songs on the radio, these days.  :-X  :-X

I'm not one of them.

Written By: bchris02 on 10/18/16 at 3:13 pm

I think 2011 was the peak of early '10s culture.  2012 was still more early '10s than mid '10s, but mid 10s influences were definitely incoming during the second half of that year.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/18/16 at 3:53 pm

Yeah, but to me (and most people here) would probably think of 2012 as a more modern year. Hell, I even believe that 2012 is more modern towards my personal life, since it was the first year after Steve Jobs died (who was my favorite person), and my adolescence started to prevail at the time. The only things that kinda make 2012 dated is Obama's reelection in November, and the fact that most political issues didn't rise at the time.

Everything after 2008 is modern to me. Each year has a different level of modern, but they are all moden nonetheless. But to me, actual mid 10s culture didn't exist at all in 2012. 2013 was the start of that. 2011 and 2012 were pretty much identical years.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/18/16 at 3:56 pm

I think 2011 was the peak of early '10s culture.  2012 was still more early '10s than mid '10s, but mid 10s influences were definitely incoming during the second half of that year.

2012 wasn't transitional at all... It was exactly the same as 2011. No difference at all that year. So you can say 2011 and 2012 were both peak years. But 2013 was transitional. The first full year of the mid 2010s was 2014. In this case the numeric start of the mid 10s falls in line with the cultural start.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 10/18/16 at 4:24 pm

2012 was still more early '10s than mid '10s, but mid 10s influences were definitely incoming during the second half of that year.

Give me some examples of how mid 10s influences were coming during the second half. And PLEASE don't use music. You focus wayyy to much on it....

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 10/18/16 at 4:25 pm

Me too!

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 10/18/16 at 4:26 pm

2012 wasn't transitional at all... It was exactly the same as 2011. No difference at all that year. So you can say 2011 and 2012 were both peak years. But 2013 was transitional. The first full year of the mid 2010s was 2014. In this case the numeric start of the mid 10s falls in line with the cultural start.

To be fair... Chris's views on 2012 are VERY subjective due to his personal life changing during the second half of the year, keep that in mind. ;)

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/18/16 at 4:40 pm

Everything after 2008 is modern to me. Each year has a different level of modern, but they are all moden nonetheless. But to me, actual mid 10s culture didn't exist at all in 2012. 2013 was the start of that. 2011 and 2012 were pretty much identical years.

2011 was more like 2010, since most of the pop culture was similar to 2010. 2012 on the other hand was a different story. Even with how modern the early 2010s is still, 2010 and 2011 was more like 2009 if you think about it.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/18/16 at 4:42 pm

2011 was more like 2010, since most of the pop culture was similar to 2010. 2012 on the other hand was a different story. Even with how modern the early 2010s is still, 2010 and 2011 was more like 2009 if you think about it.

No, 2011 and 2012 were much more similar. 2010 felt more different than both years.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 10/18/16 at 4:43 pm

2012 was still 09 like as well. 2013, things started to change a bit.
But overall, in the future I always view 2009-2016 as one big era. The Obama era, basically. ;D ;)

Written By: Slim95 on 10/18/16 at 4:44 pm

But overall, in the future I always view 2009-2016 as one big era. The Obama era, basically. ;D ;)

I agree. Even now we still have things that were popular in late 2008 and 2009. The "Obama era" has a nice ring to it.  :) I hope we start to see real change next year.

Written By: Looney Toon on 10/18/16 at 4:46 pm

Well a lot of eras can be grouped into one era if we're going by presidential years (so group them in president years while others may not, though). By the time a new president comes I'm curious on how long it will take for us to notice/realize the changes in cultural vibe.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/18/16 at 5:11 pm

Well a lot of eras can be grouped into one era if we're going by presidential years (so group them in president years while others may not, though). By the time a new president comes I'm curious on how long it will take for us to notice/realize the changes in cultural vibe.

It's not always about when a new president comes in. However this time when Obama was in office the culture was pretty consistent. That may not be the same case in the coming years.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/18/16 at 5:20 pm

Politically, it seems like that. I always think of 2009 as the first year of the Obama era. Although, it still felt like the Bush era until early 2010 for me.

No, 2011 and 2012 were much more similar. 2010 felt more different than both years.

Let's just say that late 2010-2012 was more like itself, since that's when the Obama era started to kick in the country.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/18/16 at 5:23 pm

Politically, it seems like that. I always think of 2009 as the first year of the Obama era. Although, it still felt like the Bush era until early 2010 for me.

Not only politically, culturally as well. The culture was similar since late 2008.

Written By: Looney Toon on 10/18/16 at 5:25 pm

Not only politically, culturally as well. The culture was similar since late 2008.

Pretty much. I wonder if politics will hit another turn once we get a new president. Will the change be a quick change, a slow transition, or stay the same? As for pop culture I'm quite curious on when things will change again. Pop culture is always changing, so I doubt that it will stay the same over the next 5-10 years.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/18/16 at 6:07 pm

I digress. The culture wasn't that similar since the early 2010s for me. Although, 2009 is the earliest you could call as a 2010s year (culturally).

Written By: Shemp97 on 10/19/16 at 9:24 am

All music, at least North American music anyway, has blended into one mono sound with little experimentation or variation. Artists now just stick with what is safe. One look at Bart Baker's parody videos really hammers it home how recycled the beat and melody is between songs. In previous decades, there was always that one hook song that got everyone pumped. Mid-2010s,not so much.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/19/16 at 10:44 am

All music, at least North American music anyway, has blended into one mono sound with little experimentation or variation. Artists now just stick with what is safe. One look at Bart Baker's parody videos really hammers it home how recycled the beats and melody is between songs. In previous decades, there was always that one hook song that got everyone pumped. Mid-2010s,not so much.

That just leads to less diversity in music genres nowadays. It sucks how they compose music with barely any unique beats.

Check for new replies or respond here...