inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Now that it's 2016, do you notice any major differences from 2010?

Written By: Zelek3 on 10/15/16 at 4:04 pm

Forgive me if a thread like this has already been posted

For me, things don't feel that different, other than the "SJW" craze really taking hold (when it was not noticeable before 2013). Also there's a backlash against the left in the mid-2010s, unlike the early 2010s where there was a backlash against the right.

Subject: Re: Now that it's 2016, do you notice any major differences from 2010?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/15/16 at 4:46 pm

Technologically? No.

Musically? Well, Lady Gaga hasn't been that popular since 2012/13. But even then, she's still getting media attention. Same with Adele. The only songs from Lady Gaga that I find dated (sorta) are Poker Face, Love Game, Bad Romance, Telephone, and any other songs from 2008/2009. So, it's not really as different as 2010.

Movie-wise? Nowadays, I keep seeing remakes and reboots of certain movies that people saw during the 80s, 90s, and even the 2000s since 2015. They didn't really have this in the early 2010s, but the movie industry says otherwise.

TV-wise? Children's TV is still the same. Broadcast networks are still the same. Cable networks are still the same (especially HBO). The decline in cable TV is still the same. Streaming services are still the same. In other words, no.

Video games? We're in a different generation of video games. However, it's not that different compared to the 7th generation. I mean, the Wii U is basically the Wii with a touch-screen controller. The Xbox One is like the 360, only with a different name and software. The PS4 is literally the same as the PS3, only with different hardware capabilities. And last but not least, the 3DS hasn't changed that much since it was released.

Social-wise? I'm pretty sure anyone who's not a Millennial would agree that there's still teenagers who keep texting on their phones. Even in 2010. Granted, some people think I text on my iPhone constantly, but what they don't know is that I'm basically forum posting. It's like the same, but at least it doesn't f*ck up my parents' phone bill.

Internet-wise? Well, at least I didn't see bullcrap like Vine, Snapchat, Instagram, Whatsapp, or whatever idiotic social media service exist during the early 2010s. While there were stuff like Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube as popular as it is now, at least they didn't share in on social media that much in 2010. Hell, even AIM and MSN Messenger were still relevant during 2010. Especially before Microsoft turned its own IM into Skype around April of 2013. Plus, YouTube was still the same from its late 2000s era around 2010. It wasn't until 2012 when they started to enforce Google+ into everyone's interface.

Politically? I would rather take 2010 on any day compared to 2016, with what we're dealing with now. At least anybody wouldn't have to worry about Donald Trump being president until the near end of Obama's second term. Every day, I can't stand listening to what either Trump or Hillary has to say with their campaigns for president. It's even terrible that we have less than a month until either of them gets elected. Don't even get me started on the constant shootings, radical protests, and insane amount of riots that people have to witness ever since Black Lives Matter was a thing. Also, SJWs, BLM supporters, and modern feminists shouldn't exist at all.

Overall, I don't really find a lot of things to be different from 2010 and 2016. I mean, we still have Obama as president. Along with having iPads and iPhones controlling the technology market. Sadly for Apple, Steve Jobs would've control it better if he wouldn't die so harshly.  :\'( If only Steve Wozniak took control of Apple, since he founded the company with Steve Jobs.

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/15/16 at 5:27 pm

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/15/16 at 5:33 pm

This year is like the number of the beast.  >:(

Written By: Slim95 on 10/15/16 at 8:35 pm

It's only really different technologically. Pop culturally it's pretty similar with some minor differences. Technologically lots of changes have occurred since 2010. Virtual reality is in now, powerful smartphones, more powerful tablets and other computers, augmented reality on its way, mobile pay, smartwatches, autonomous vehicles, wireless charging, increase in cloud computing, curved displays (in TVs and phones), 4K, and many other tech advancements. Music was slightly different but overall, 2010 wasn't like a different world compared to today.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/15/16 at 8:36 pm

Technologically? No.

I disagree. See my post above.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/15/16 at 8:57 pm

To get a better picture of the differences between 2010 and 2016, this was the second most popular cell phone in 2010.

http://cdn2.gsmarena.com/vv/pics/nokia/nokia-3720-classic-3.jpg

And this was the second most popular cell phone in 2016

http://i-cdn.phonearena.com/images/articles/139136-image/Apple-iPhone-6--amp-iPhone-6-Plus.jpg

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/15/16 at 9:01 pm

I disagree. See my post above.

Technologically, it seems similar between 2010 and 2016. We already had smartphones, tablets (especially the iPad), flat-screen HD TVs, and cloud computing in 2010. Those were like the building blocks to all the stuff you mentioned on your past. I remember when most people already had a smartphone in the early 2010s, especially my parents. Sure, both years are a bit different. However, it doesn't make them look dated. Take a look with 2000 and 2006. In 2000, people were still using dial-up Internet as the norm, VHS tapes were played everywhere, DVDs were still at its infancy, and people were still using Windows 98/2000 on their PCs. In 2006, people used broadband Internet, DVDs were everywhere, the VHS format was dying, Windows Vista was announced, and Windows XP was the norm for PCs.

It was that different technologically between those six years. Although, you could say the same thing towards 2010 and 2016, it wasn't that different. They still had smartphones and tablets available everywhere, and people bought them like hotcakes. The only difference is that modern social media wasn't that prevalent towards the general population back then. It was only about Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/15/16 at 9:02 pm

To get a better picture of the differences between 2010 and 2016, this was the second most popular cell phone in 2010.

http://cdn2.gsmarena.com/vv/pics/nokia/nokia-3720-classic-3.jpg

And this was the second most popular cell phone in 2016

http://i-cdn.phonearena.com/images/articles/139136-image/Apple-iPhone-6--amp-iPhone-6-Plus.jpg

As much as the phone industry was that different between 2010 and 2016, it still featured the iPhone a lot at the time.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/15/16 at 9:12 pm

Technologically, it seems similar between 2010 and 2016. We already had smartphones, tablets (especially the iPad), flat-screen HD TVs, and cloud computing in 2010. Those were like the building blocks to all the stuff you mentioned on your past. I remember when most people already had a smartphone in the early 2010s, especially my parents. Sure, both years are a bit different. However, it doesn't make them look dated. Take a look with 2000 and 2006. In 2000, people were still using dial-up Internet as the norm, VHS tapes were played everywhere, DVDs were still at its infancy, and people were still using Windows 98/2000 on their PCs. In 2006, people used broadband Internet, DVDs were everywhere, the VHS format was dying, Windows Vista was announced, and Windows XP was the norm for PCs.

It was that different technologically between those six years. Although, you could say the same thing towards 2010 and 2016, it wasn't that different. They still had smartphones and tablets available everywhere, and people bought them like hotcakes. The only difference is that modern social media wasn't that prevalent towards the general population back then. It was only about Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube.

Smartphones were not popular and the primary mobile device in 2010, slider phones were. Plus even if they were, the smartphones were hugely different in 2010. Very low specs, low res screen, laggy and slow with big bezels. Blackberries were in at the time. Tablets weren't popular at all in 2010... The first IPad was released in April 2010, before that IPads didn't exist.... In 2010 there were pretty much no tablets, not popular at all. Also, the tablet craze has actually died down for a couple years now. We have curved TVs now not flat screens, but flat screens have been around long before 2010 so that's irrelevant. Cloud computing was not popular in 2010... Technology is hugely different now.

Why do you keep saying they had tablets and smartphones everywhere in 2010? They didn't... They had ZERO tablets in 2010 pretty much and smartphones were not at all ubiquitous...

I even forgot to mention that the popular OS at the time was Windows 7 and even Windows XP and Vista at the time. The touch screen era and Widows 8 didn't exist at all. There were no touchscreen laptops or anything like that back in 2010. So yeah, very different technologically. Probably not as big of a difference in comparison to 2006 and 2000, I agree with you on that. But definitely big changes in technology indeed. If someone told me in 2010 I could get a virtual reality headset in 2015 for $200 I would have laughed and not believe it. It's amazing how far we have come technologically.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/15/16 at 9:18 pm

As much as the phone industry was that different between 2010 and 2016, it still featured the iPhone a lot at the time.

It featured the IPhone 4 which is very different compared to the IPhone 7 today.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/15/16 at 9:33 pm

Smartphones were not popular and the primary mobile device in 2010, slider phones were. Plus even if they were, the smartphones were hugely different in 2010. Very low specs, low res screen, laggy and slow with big bezels.

Even though they're the same thing. It's just different software when you compare it to 2016's smartphones. Even then, my iPhone is a bit laggy, and it's from 2014. Yet, it still runs iOS 10.

Blackberries were in at the time. Tablets weren't popular at all in 2010... The first IPad was released in April 2010, before that IPads didn't exist.... In 2010 there were pretty much no tablets, not popular at all. Also, the tablet craze has actually died down for a couple years now.

Then how come mobile games are popular within the general population? How come it's common to see kids playing with their parents' mobile devices? Even if it's not a smartphone?

We have curved TVs now not flat screens, but flat screens have been around long before 2010 so that's irrelevant. Cloud computing was not popular in 2010... Technology is hugely different now.

I don't know what it is for Canada, but I'm pretty sure flat screens are still relevant to this day. Even with that, you could still buy a flat-screen TV at your local Best Buy. Also, I didn't say that flat screens didn't exist before 2010. Where did you get the idea that I said that? I just said it because it was really popular at the time.

Why do you keep saying they had tablets and smartphones everywhere in 2010? They didn't... They had ZERO tablets in 2010 pretty much and smartphones were not at all ubiquitous...

Even though you just mentioned that the iPad was released in early 2010, which refutes your implication on you saying they were zero tablets in 2010.

I even forgot to mention that the popular OS at the time was Windows 7 and even Windows XP and Vista at the time. The touch screen era and Widows 8 didn't exist at all.

That's true. Windows 8 was released in 2013. Hell, I could probably that Windows XP was still popular during the early 2010s. I could give you that. Hell, Microsoft wasn't really that different between the early-mid 2010s. Not to mention that people are still using XP to this day, but not frequently as they did in the early 2010s. However, it changed throughout the times, and Windows 8/10 were the dominant OS during the mid 2010s.

There were no touchscreen laptops or anything like that back in 2010. So yeah, very different technologically. Probably not as big of a difference in comparison to 2006 and 2000, I agree with you on that. But definitely big changes in technology indeed. If you told myself in 2010 I could get a virtual reality headset in 2015 for $200 I would have laughed and not believe it. It's amazing how far we have come technologically.

I don't think touchscreen laptops are a fad in any year during the 2010s. I mean, people still use laptops, but not as much as they did in the 2000s. Hell, I even grieve for the fact that barely anybody I know at my school uses either a desktop or laptop. They use their smartphones. I'm just saying that 2010 and 2016 wasn't that much of a huge difference, compared to 2000 and 2006. It could be with the phone industry, but not with the other computer industries.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/15/16 at 9:36 pm

It featured the IPhone 4 which is very different compared to the IPhone 7 today.

The iPhone is just like any other model. The only differences is that the newer ones are compatible with the newer software, and it had a few hardware modifications. I could get that the iPhone 7 is different to the other models, but it's just an iPhone 6 without a headphone jack.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/15/16 at 9:38 pm

Even though you just mentioned that the iPad was released in early 2010, which refutes your implication on you saying they were zero tablets in 2010.

I don't think touchscreen laptops are a fad in any year during the 2010s. I mean, people still use laptops, but not as much as they did in the 2000s. Hell, I even grieve for the fact that barely anybody I know at my school uses either a desktop or laptop. They use their smartphones. I'm just saying that 2010 and 2016 wasn't that much of a huge difference, compared to 2000 and 2006. It could be with the phone industry, but not with the other computer industries.

The IPad being released in April 2010 with almost buying it and being the only tablet in 2010 pretty much means there were zero tablets in 2010. They were not popular at all. Late 2011 is when the other manufacturers started producing tablets and they got popular.

Almost every non-macbook laptop is touchscreen.... This isn't a "fad". It's been this way for 4 years now... In 2010, that was not the case. Laptops are different now. No more disc drives while in 2010 many laptops still had optical drives in them. much thinner and faster these days as well. And of course, almost all of them are touchscreen. Even desktops are different with the amount of newer processors that came out.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/15/16 at 9:39 pm

The iPhone is just like any other model. The only differences is that the newer ones are compatible with the newer software, and it had a few hardware modifications. I could get that the iPhone 7 is different to the other models, but it's just an iPhone 6 without a headphone jack.

That's not the only difference. The specs are a completely different universe. Very different device compared to the IPhone 7, way, way slower as well. But I'll leave it at that. Agree to disagree.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/15/16 at 9:49 pm

The IPad being released in April 2010 with almost buying it and being the only tablet in 2010 pretty much means there were zero tablets in 2010. They were not popular at all. Late 2011 is when the other manufacturers started producing tablets and they got popular.

Almost every non-macbook laptop is touchscreen.... This isn't a "fad". It's been this way for 4 years now...

Even if they've done that for 4 years, 2012 was the last year before core 2010s influences hit the scene. Meaning that it's like 2010, but it was almost on the brink of the core 2010s. Also, I'm pretty sure people still buy non touchscreen laptops in this day and age, so it's not that popular with what you think.

That's not the only difference. The specs are a completely different universe. Very different device compared to the IPhone 7, way, way slower as well. But I'll leave it at that. Agree to disagree.

It's just a touchscreen cellular phone with different modifications for each model. I may be a self proclaimed computer fan, but comparing the specs on the models wouldn't give you a novel of them. I could get that the first four iPhones were different to the newer iPhones, but it just has the same processing as it does. It might be slow, because it starts to wear off in a few years. That's why people get newer models, so their cell phones wouldn't be compatible with the newer stuff that Apple makes with their software.

Written By: 80sfan on 10/15/16 at 9:58 pm

For me, things don't feel that different, other than the "SJW" craze really taking hold (when it was not noticeable before 2013). Also there's a backlash against the left in the mid-2010s, unlike the early 2010s where there was a backlash against the right.

I noticed it around the same time too.

Written By: 80sfan on 10/15/16 at 10:01 pm

Really? A lot of people see the Republican party as kind of self-destructing right now.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/15/16 at 10:01 pm

Pop culturally 2010 and 2016 are similar a couple differences but the general mentality is the same. Lady Gaga may not be on the radio these days but her fans still listen to her music. Rihanna and Drake are still popular as well. Music sounds a little different but it's not worlds apart, relatively similar. Most mainstream music is still about sex and drugs like it was in 2010. Here in Canada we still had Harper as prime minister (with a minority government) so we were still a conservative country while now we have a Liberal majority government with Trudeau. In the province I live in is the same case, conservative government in 2010 with Ed Stelmach and now we have the historical left wing NDP government with premier Rachel Notley running the province. We had a different mayor in the first half of 2010 while now we have the same mayor that was elected in Fall 2010.

Personal life wise, 2010 feels pretty distant to me now. I mean I was still in Junior High in the first half of the year and started High School in the second half and now I'm in university. I was also only 15 years old in 2010 and now I'm 21. So I can definitely feel the relative datedness of 2010 personal life wise.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/16/16 at 12:59 am

The way social media is used is also different. In 2010 social media was focused to be used on a desktop platform (as in non-mobile device). But in 2016 social media is focused on the mobile platform through apps. Facebook and Twitter were king in 2010 and these days it's Snap Chat and Instagram.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/16/16 at 1:10 am

Even if they've done that for 4 years, 2012 was the last year before core 2010s influences hit the scene. Meaning that it's like 2010, but it was almost on the brink of the core 2010s. Also, I'm pretty sure people still buy non touchscreen laptops in this day and age, so it's not that popular with what you think.

What does this have to do with anything? Lol so what if 2012 was like 2010? That's not even the point.

Written By: musicguy93 on 10/16/16 at 2:23 am

When it comes to technology there hasn't been any mind blowing changes between 2010 and 2016. In terms of music, both years had electronically based music, though 2010 was more geared toward electropop, while 2016 seems to be more geared towards songs with trap and tropical house beats (both of which I find nauseating and unbearable). There were still some pop rock bands from the late 00s that were still pretty popular in 2010 (ie., Paramore, Thirty Seconds to Mars), while in 2016, it's mostly indie hipster pop/folk bands (Imagine Dragons, X Ambassadors, etc.). Fashion is totally different. Back in 2010, most people didn't dress like hipsters. Sure there were small signs of the trend here and there, but it was exceptionally rare. Nowadays in 2016, almost everyone in their teens and 20s are dressing like hipster dweebs.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/16/16 at 8:56 am

What does this have to do with anything? Lol so what if 2012 was like 2010? That's not even the point.

Well, you were saying that touchscreen laptops are big ever since 2012. It's not like there's still non touchscreen laptops available at stores.

When it comes to technology there hasn't been any mind blowing changes between 2010 and 2016. In terms of music, both years had electronically based music, though 2010 was more geared toward electropop, while 2016 seems to be more geared towards songs with trap and tropical house beats (both of which I find nauseating and unbearable). There were still some pop rock bands from the late 00s that were still pretty popular in 2010 (ie., Paramore, Thirty Seconds to Mars), while in 2016, it's mostly indie hipster pop/folk bands (Imagine Dragons, X Ambassadors, etc.). Fashion is totally different. Back in 2010, most people didn't dress like hipsters. Sure there were small signs of the trend here and there, but it was exceptionally rare. Nowadays in 2016, almost everyone in their teens and 20s are dressing like hipster dweebs.

Yet, they don't like stuff that's mainstream. But the trend is so popular, they shouldn't even say that it's not mainstream.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/16/16 at 9:32 am

Well, you were saying that touchscreen laptops are big ever since 2012. It's not like there's still non touchscreen laptops available at stores.

Yet, they don't like stuff that's mainstream. But the trend is so popular, they shouldn't even say that it's not mainstream.

Around 2012 because that's when Windows 8 was released. Most of them came 2013 though.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/16/16 at 9:37 am

Around 2012 because that's when Windows 8 was released. Most of them came 2013 though.

Just because Windows 8 was preferred towards touchscreen devices, that doesn't really mean it affected the computer industry with various touchscreen devices. I had a laptop which was installed with Windows 8, and it didn't have a touchscreen.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/16/16 at 9:45 am

Just because Windows 8 was preferred towards touchscreen devices, that doesn't really mean it affected the computer industry with various touchscreen devices. I had a laptop which was installed with Windows 8, and it didn't have a touchscreen.

Most of the ultrabooks released are touchscreen. There is also many tablet convertible devices/Tablet PCs as well. Plus all-in-one PCs didn't exist back then as well. On the whole, technology changed very, very much since 2010.

Written By: SpyroKev on 10/16/16 at 9:51 am

The sound and feel of 2010 is majorly different from the sound and feel of 2016. That's what's definitely different from both years. How could you not see this, OP?

Written By: Slim95 on 10/16/16 at 9:53 am

I remember a lot of people still had IPods and MP3 players in 2010. That's sort of like a 2000s holdover. That's because not everyone had smartphones so they still had IPods for their music. The IPod touch was very popular in 2010 but you still had some people with nanos.

I've only noticed technology become stagnant since last year in 2015. Particularly in the smartphone industry. Since 2015, phone upgrades became less and less impressive as most of the phones came with similar specs. Smartphones and tech just hasn't been as interesting since 2015. Smartphones have been more or less the same since 2014-2015. I'm hoping this changes soon.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/16/16 at 10:00 am

Most of the ultrabooks released are touchscreen. There is also many tablet convertible devices/Tablet PCs as well. Plus all-in-one PCs didn't exist back then as well. On the whole, technology changed very, very much since 2010.

I could get that the early 2010s changed the computer industry. Hell, it made the iPhone look more mainstream when you think about. Before late 2010, barely anybody used it. It was like a luxurious cell phone that upper middle class and rich people would use a lot, for business reasons. Nowadays, everyone that I know uses it excessively. It makes the generalization where everyone my age are obsessed with texting on their phones more prevalent.

But it's not like 2010 was extremely different towards 2016 in a technological way. I still saw people obsessing over the new Apple devices in the early 2010s, maybe in 2010 as well. By the way, all-in-one PCs have existed since the late 20th century. Not with PCs, but with Apple's computers.

Apple's Macintosh (released in 1984)
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e3/Macintosh_128k_transparency.png

Apple's iMac G3 (released in 1998)
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/56/Indigo_iMac_G3_slot_loading.jpg

Apple's iMac G5 (released in 2004)
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b3/IMac_G5_Rev._A_front.jpg

So saying all-in-one PCs never existing in 2010, meaning those that have the CPUs inside their monitors, along with not having a computer deck, seems rather false.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/16/16 at 10:02 am

I could get that the early 2010s changed the computer industry. Hell, it made the iPhone look more mainstream when you think about. Before late 2010, barely anybody used it. It was like a luxurious cell phone that upper middle class and rich people would use a lot, for business reasons. Nowadays, everyone that I know uses it excessively. It makes the generalization where everyone my age are obsessed with texting on their phones more prevalent.

But it's not like 2010 was extremely different towards 2016 in a technological way. I still saw people obsessing over the new Apple devices in the early 2010s, maybe in 2010 as well. By the way, all-in-one PCs have existed since the late 20th century. Not with PCs, but with Apple's computers.

Apple's Macintosh (released in 1984)
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e3/Macintosh_128k_transparency.png

Apple's iMac G3 (released in 1998)
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/56/Indigo_iMac_G3_slot_loading.jpg

Apple's iMac G5 (released in 2004)
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b3/IMac_G5_Rev._A_front.jpg

So saying all-in-one PCs never existing in 2010, meaning those that have the CPUs inside their monitors, along with not having a computer deck, seems rather false.

Modern all-in-one PCs have touchscreen displays. Nothing like the one from Apple.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/16/16 at 10:07 am

I've only noticed technology become stagnant since last year in 2015. Particularly in the smartphone industry. Since 2015, phone upgrades became less and less impressive as most of the phones came with similar specs. Smartphones and tech just hasn't been as interesting since 2015. Smartphones have been more or less the same since 2014-2015. I'm hoping this changes soon.

Smartphone specs have been stagnant since the mid 2010s. Between 2010-2013 is where I see a difference between them.

Modern all-in-one PCs have touchscreen displays. Nothing like the one from Apple.

All-in-one PCs still existed before the 2010s, though.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/16/16 at 10:10 am

Smartphone specs have been stagnant since the mid 2010s. Between 2010-2013 is where I see a difference between them.

All-in-one PCs still existed before the 2010s, though.

No, a smartphone is 2013 is like s different planet compared to a smartphone in 2016. Completely different specs and totally different. A smartphone from 2013 is old and not as fast compared to one in 2016.

The all-in-one PCs we see today? No they haven't... They didn't exist before 2012.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/16/16 at 10:18 am

No, a smartphone is 2013 is like s different planet compared to a smartphone in 2016. Completely different specs and totally different. A smartphone from 2013 is old and not as fast compared to one in 2016.

I have an iPhone 5C, which was released in September of 2013. It could still upgrade to iOS 10, which is the most recent iOS version as of this post. To me, it processes faster than my iPad 3, which I got around Christmas of 2013.

The all-in-one PCs we see today? No they haven't... They didn't exist before 2012.

Not the modern touchscreen ones, but the ones that I stated earlier existed before the 2010s.

Written By: wixness on 10/16/16 at 2:56 pm

Emo hair still existed in 2010. They're practically dying off this year.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/16/16 at 3:06 pm

Emo hair still existed in 2010. They're practically dying off this year.

I think the emo culture was still an underground until 2014.

Written By: wixness on 10/16/16 at 3:34 pm

I think the emo culture was still an underground until 2014.

In that case mainstream emo doesn't look as great since the guys aren't wearing their hair as long. Either way, it's still too damn rare for my liking.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/16/16 at 3:43 pm

In that case mainstream emo doesn't look as great since the guys aren't wearing their hair as long. Either way, it's still too damn rare for my liking.

Well, emo wasn't really that strong since the early 2010s. It died slowly as Myspace did when Facebook took over.

Written By: bchris02 on 10/16/16 at 10:50 pm

I find them quite different.  The farther we get from 2010, the more '00s it seems, especially listening to the hip-hop of the time.  Also, the early '10s-style electropop has been gone for the most part since 2013.  There were a few songs this year in that style, but they didn't gain traction.

The politics is weird.  2010 was a much worse time for our country because we were still in the Great Recession and now the economy is fine.  However, back then it seems like there was more of an optimistic feel like we were headed towards something better.  Today, it seems like the polarization of this country is about to come to a head.

Written By: musicguy93 on 10/17/16 at 1:28 am

The newer smartphones still basically serve the same functions. I couldn't care less if it performs better than older models. Smartphones in general are becoming a tired concept, in my opinion. In fact, technology in general has been unimpressive to me in this decade. I don't know about you but I'm all smartphoned out. There needs to be something new to change my views. Something different that isn't geared towards smart gadgets and social media. Until that day comes, I will continue to be unimpressed with 2010s technology.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 10/17/16 at 1:52 am

I find them quite different.  The farther we get from 2010, the more '00s it seems, especially listening to the hip-hop of the time.  Also, the early '10s-style electropop has been gone for the most part since 2013.  There were a few songs this year in that style, but they didn't gain traction.

The politics is weird.  2010 was a much worse time for our country because we were still in the Great Recession and now the economy is fine.  However, back then it seems like there was more of an optimistic feel like we were headed towards something better.  Today, it seems like the polarization of this country is about to come to a head.

The whole Obama presidency has been bad for me

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/17/16 at 6:51 am

It would've been alright, if this year's election wasn't a pain in the ass. Every day, it feels like an armageddon between the country and the two candidates (Hilary and Trump). Why do we need when we just got out of a terrible economic recession? It's like trying to nuke Japan again after they were nuked in 1945. It's not worth it.

Written By: TheKid99 on 10/17/16 at 7:04 am

I think 2016 is NOTHING in comparison in what the late 2010s will bring.....

I am quite worried about the state of our world....

2010, we had relatively warm relations with Russia...

NOW? It has not been this cold since the Early 80s, perhaps the early 60s! And while I hate Trump, if Hillary, a known war hawk, is elected.... I think we will be in a new cold war if we have not been since 2014 and the whole Ukraine and Crimea Crisis.... the words coming out of Russias mouth about Syria and the US's mouth about cyberwarfare are quite honestly so scary, and hearing about Russia building up Nukes and missles along its border....

I believe we are in a New Cold War.... all because of the Obama Administrations failure of foreign policy and Vladimir Putins ability to gain power and a FOOTHOLD in Syria.

Written By: 80sfan on 10/17/16 at 7:44 am

I honestly think that this thread should have been started in 2017, not 2016, but that's just my opinion.

As for 2010 vs. 2016. Yeah, the world is in a dark place right now.  :(

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/17/16 at 9:37 am

I honestly think that this thread should have been started in 2017, not 2016, but that's just my opinion.

As for 2010 vs. 2016. Yeah, the world is in a dark place right now.  :(

Most of these years in the 2010s are just the same. So I digress.

Written By: Looney Toon on 10/18/16 at 4:44 pm

2010-2012/13 was more upbeat. Also it's funny how a lot of issues in the mid 2010s didn't either didn't exist or weren't as big in the early 2010s. The 2010s so far is looking to be pretty consistent, however, it's interesting to see analyze  just how removed 2016 is from 2010.  But a lot of 2016 things always had some beginning form/presence in 2010.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/18/16 at 6:15 pm

2010-2012/13 was more upbeat. Also it's funny how a lot of issues in the mid 2010s didn't either didn't exist or weren't as big in the early 2010s. The 2010s so far is looking to be pretty consistent, however, it's interesting to see analyze  just how removed 2016 is from 2010.  But a lot of 2016 things always had some beginning form/presence in 2010.

2016 seems to have influences with 2012, imo. The start of Black Lives Matter, the reaction to the GOP with Obama's reelection (at the time), the constant shootings, etc. is what we're dealing with today.

Written By: bchris02 on 10/18/16 at 6:32 pm

But a lot of 2016 things always had some beginning form/presence in 2010.

This is true.  Occupy Wall St and the Tea Party for instance laid the ground work for the current SJW/anti-SJW culture.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/18/16 at 7:10 pm

This is true.  Occupy Wall St and the Tea Party for instance laid the ground work for the current SJW/anti-SJW culture.

Occupy Wall Street was at least taken seriously by most people. The 99% just wanted to be with the 1%, since they are treated unfairly within the wages. SJW culture on the other hand has to deal with dumbasses who complain about every single thing that they consider "offensive". And they consider a lot of things to be offensive, even if it's not really offensive to start with. So, that's a big difference between Occupy Wall Street and SJW culture.

Written By: batfan2005 on 10/18/16 at 7:12 pm

We're finally starting to reap the consequences of having Obama in office. Sadly it's going to continue to get worse before it gets better, and I don't have any hope with either one who will be president in just a few months.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/18/16 at 7:14 pm

We're finally starting to reap the consequences of having Obama in office. Sadly it's going to continue to get worse before it gets better, and I don't have any hope with either one who will be president in just a few months.

It's not even a few months. We're 21 days away until either of these candidates get elected.

Written By: batfan2005 on 10/18/16 at 7:45 pm

It's not even a few months. We're 21 days away until either of these candidates get elected.

I meant until the actual inauguration in January.

Written By: 80sfan on 10/18/16 at 7:50 pm

Are you right wing, or left wing?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/18/16 at 8:00 pm

I meant until the actual inauguration in January.

Yeah... but I feel like the inauguration would just be there after the election. Even though it's in November, and the inauguration's in January.

Written By: Shemp97 on 10/19/16 at 9:02 am

Cloud computing was not popular in 2010...

Heck, cloud computing only just launched to the public that year actually. It was very new, very inaccessible technology that required Internet speeds that were very uncommon in most households.

@NewYorkEagle
Actually 2000 wasn't that different from '06 either. Think of anything widely used in 2006 and I'll bet I can trace it's existence back to 2000 and even before. Even online video; remember Mondo Media from 1998? Or PDAs?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/19/16 at 10:50 am

@NewYorkEagle
Actually 2000 wasn't that different from '06 either. Think of anything widely used in 2006 and I'll bet I can trace it's existence back to 2000 and even before. Even online video; remember Mondo Media from 1998? Or PDAs?

Internet-wise, the 2000s were somehow consistent towards its culture. Even in the late 2000s, the early 2000s still felt relevant towards what it had. They became highly dated when mobile phones took the Internet over, leading to simplistic layouts for websites, since the early 2010s. Hell, even with sites like Newgrounds, it was just the same (not layout wise) until they allowed non-Flash files to be uploaded on the site in 2012.

Written By: batfan2005 on 10/19/16 at 7:23 pm

Are you right wing, or left wing?

Neither. I'm more in the middle/Libertarian (pro Gary Johnson). Eight years of Obama has pushed me to the right though, just like how George W Bush pushed me to the left. Now I miss GWB.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/19/16 at 8:16 pm

Neither. I'm more in the middle/Libertarian (pro Gary Johnson). Eight years of Obama has pushed me to the right though, just like how George W Bush pushed me to the left. Now I miss GWB.

How come you're more of a rightist? Did being a centrist Libertarian started something negative with you?

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 10/21/16 at 9:01 pm

Exactly.

We are now living in the 2010s. 2010 was the last year of the 2000s.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/21/16 at 9:05 pm

Exactly.

We are now living in the 2010s. 2010 was culturally the last year of the 2000s.

The first half of 2008 was the last year of the cultural 2000s.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/21/16 at 9:06 pm

Late 2008 and early 2009 had some cultural aspects of the 2000s, though. I mean, it's not like it came that instant towards the cultural 2010s, imo.

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 10/21/16 at 9:10 pm

2010s culture was still being introduced from late '08 to 2010.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/21/16 at 11:55 pm

Late 2008 and early 2009 had some cultural aspects of the 2000s, though. I mean, it's not like it came that instant towards the cultural 2010s, imo.

There were still 00s holdovers after, but I would say that time marks the beginning of the 2010s decade. Not the core 10s but the overall culture of the 10s started then.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/22/16 at 8:32 am

There were still 00s holdovers after, but I would say that time marks the beginning of the 2010s decade. Not the core 10s but the overall culture of the 10s started then.

It was kinda like the early 2010s, but I didn't really budge over it.

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 10/22/16 at 11:13 am

What's a '00s holdover?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/22/16 at 11:50 am

What's a '00s holdover?

A holdover is like a leftover, only it stays there while the decade transitions to a new one.

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 10/22/16 at 1:03 pm

A holdover is like a leftover, only it stays there while the decade transitions to a new one.

What was he referring to, specifically, by that?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/22/16 at 1:24 pm

What was he referring to, specifically, by that?

He meant that the late 2000s are kinda like the early 2010s.

Written By: 80sfan on 10/22/16 at 4:32 pm

Sign o' the times.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/technology/10-things-that-will-soon-disappear-forever/ss-BB8zZB1?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=UE12DHP

Written By: 80sfan on 10/27/16 at 2:00 pm

I'm just shocked. Just shocked by 2016, I tell you!  >:(  >:(

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/27/16 at 2:34 pm

Sign o' the times.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/technology/10-things-that-will-soon-disappear-forever/ss-BB8zZB1?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=UE12DHP

Let's hope this would turn out good for the next decade.

Written By: 80sfan on 10/27/16 at 3:09 pm

Let's hope this would turn out good for the next decade.

It'll be here on time for the Twinkling Twenties.

Written By: Looney Toon on 10/30/16 at 12:45 pm

2010 was more upbeat and colorful than 2016 in terms of pop culture. It almost makes me want to revisit 2010 again.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/30/16 at 12:46 pm

2010 was more upbeat and colorful than 2016 in terms of pop culture. It almost makes me want to revisit 2010 again.

It was but that's the thing that I hated about it. It felt very fake and forced and people were still depressed due to the economic recession. At least now things feel more real.

Written By: Looney Toon on 10/30/16 at 12:50 pm

It was but that's the thing that I hated about it. It felt very fake and forced and people were still depressed due to the economic recession. At least now things feel more real.

I didn't get the fake/forced vibe, but then again this is all just my experience. Now things are more real, but also depressing. Not sure how long before we'll see a time where everything is upbeat/colorful and it feels genuine. Some are saying we'll be seeing more economic growth in as we reach 2020 onward. So I'm just waiting and hoping things turn out well. No more threats of recessions or other political matters (although I feel that political matters have ALWAYS been depressing).  :-\\

Written By: ArcticFox on 10/30/16 at 8:10 pm

Yes, there are major differences. But even for most of the year, I could see connections between 2016 and not just 2010, but 2009. That year was the beginning of the era that we were in for many, many years; even if there were several major changes throughout. I think this is most obvious to see through the music.

Here is the Top 10 of the Billboard Hot 100 on the chart week ending December 26, 2009 (when the year and music had fully transformed):
1. Empire State of Mind - Jay-Z + Alicia Keys
2. TiK ToK - Ke$ha
3. Bad Romance - Lady Gaga
4. Replay - Iyaz
5. Fireflies - Owl City
6. Sexy Chick - David Guetta Featuring Akon
7. Whatcha Say - Jason Derülo
8. Meet Me Halfway - The Black Eyed Peas
9. 3 - Britney Spears
10. Down - Jay Sean Featuring Lil Wayne
http://www.billboard.com/charts/hot-100/2009-12-26

Here is the Top 10 of the Billboard Hot 100 on the chart week ending May 28, 2016 (the end of the school year):
1. Can't Stop the Feeling! - Justin Timberlake
2. One Dance - Drake Featuring WizKid and Kyla
3. Panda - Desiigner
4. 7 Years - Lukas Graham
5. I Took a Pill in Ibiza - Mike Posner
6. Work From Home - Fifth Harmony Featuring Ty Dolla $ign
7. Don't Let Me Down - The Chainsmokers Featuring Daya
8. Work - Rihanna Featuring Drake
9. Pillowtalk - Zayn
10. Needed Me - Rihanna
http://www.billboard.com/charts/hot-100/2016-05-28

Here is the Top 10 of the Billboard Hot 100 on the most recent chart week of November 5, 2016 (soon to be updated two days from now):
1. Closer - The Chainsmokers Featuring Halsey
2. Starboy - The Weeknd Featuring Daft Punk
3. Heathens - twenty one pilots
4. Let Me Love You - DJ Snake Featuring Justin Bieber
5. Broccoli - D.R.A.M. Featuring Lil Yachty
6. 24K Magic - Bruno Mars
7. Cold Water - Major Lazer Featuring Justin Bieber and MØ
8. Side to Side - Ariana Grande Featuring Nicki Minaj
9. Don't Wanna Know - Maroon 5 Featuring Kendrick Lamar
10. Treat You Better - Shawn Mendes
http://www.billboard.com/charts/hot-100/2016-11-05

If you take the time to preview every single song, you can see that the 2016 top 10 lists are more diverse in their sounds compared to the 2009 one. Not that I mean to criticize, I actually like most of the songs listed on all three of them, but you can tell that the 2009 list had a more cohesive sound and a much more dominant trend whereas the 2016 charts are much less uniform and split between many different sounds. Nonetheless, look at the spring 2016 one.. You can see that just within the Top Ten that some of the songs could have fit in right along with the other hits on the 2009 charts ("Panda", "7 Years", "Work From Home", and "Pillowtalk" all come to mind—and maybe even "Work" and "Don't Let Me Down"). But with the most recent 2016 one.. I don't know... None of the songs resemble anything from 2009 at all. I think late 2016 has completely broken away from the influence of 2009, even though it isn't different at all from the majority of the more sonically progressive hit songs that have been popular throughout the mid 2010's; it just has a more evolved sound.

Take note that the Top 10 only represents the most popular songs in the United States in each of their respective time periods and they don't represent everything that popular music in each of the three eras had to offer. I recommend you take a look at the rest of the Top 40 from each list in the links provided below their respective charts.

Written By: Looney Toon on 10/31/16 at 8:44 am

I guess late 2016 is where the breakaway from 2009 begins in terms of music. If this keeps up by the time we reach 2019 we'll end up seeing a new set of trends or styles.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/31/16 at 10:28 am

I guess late 2016 is where the breakaway from 2009 begins in terms of music. If this keeps up by the time we reach 2019 we'll end up seeing a new set of trends or styles.

I don't see it yet. Music now sounds exactly the same as it did in the beginning of the year.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/31/16 at 10:56 am

I don't see it yet. Music now sounds exactly the same as it did in the beginning of the year.

Music sounded the same since 2012, to me.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/31/16 at 12:14 pm

Music sounded the same since 2012, to me.

The general tone of music since 2008 for me, but more specific recent trends and genres 2013. 2012 wasn't like 2013 as new genres started coming in 2013.

Written By: 80sfan on 10/31/16 at 12:57 pm

I'm waaay more relaxed than in 2010!  8)

Written By: 2001 on 11/06/16 at 9:56 pm

Heck, cloud computing only just launched to the public that year actually. It was very new, very inaccessible technology that required Internet speeds that were very uncommon in most households.

@NewYorkEagle

By cloud computing, do you mean having your files accessible anywhere à la iCloud and the ability for team colloboration?

Because if you're talking simply about cloud storage, I actually got an email a few days ago from Dropbox, about inactivity on my account and its imminent deletion. I logged in to save it, and my oldest files were from mid-2009.

Written By: 2001 on 11/11/16 at 11:13 pm

It's going to sound like decadeology but... Does anyone else think the sub eras of the 2010s are starting to look very distinct?

I mean, we all imagine all the suberas of the 2000s to be very distinct from each other.

2000-2003 = Early 2000s
2004-2006 = Mid-2000s
2007-2009 = Late 2000s

But to me, all the sub eras of the 2010s are starting look even more distinct and well defined than the 2000s were  :o

2009-2012 = Early 2010s / Electropop era
2013-2016 = Mid-2010s
2017-2019/20 = Late 2010s

All the different 2010s suberas seem to have their own strong, distinct identities  :o

Written By: 80sfan on 11/11/16 at 11:38 pm

It's going to sound like decadeology but... Does anyone else think the sub eras of the 2010s are starting to look very distinct?

I mean, we all imagine all the suberas of the 2000s to be very distinct from each other.

2000-2003 = Early 2000s
2004-2006 = Mid-2000s
2007-2009 = Late 2000s

But to me, all the sub eras of the 2010s are starting look even more distinct and well defined than the 2000s were  :o

2013-2016 = Mid-2010s

All the different 2010s suberas seem to have their own strong, distinct identities  :o

I get impatient, but usually I wait until the whole decade is over until I split it.

Written By: aspireone on 11/12/16 at 3:16 am

For one, GUI and graphics Design are more flatter this year compared to 2010 when it was more shaded 3d ( Compare windows 7 to windows 10)

Music and the general atmosphere was more upbeat back then too.

Written By: Slim95 on 11/12/16 at 7:56 am

2000-2003 = Early 2000s
2004-2006 = Mid-2000s
2007-2009 = Late 2000s

2013-2016 = Mid-2010s

Personally I don't see it. I feel like we are in one long era since mid 2008 with a couple differences in culture as the years go by. The 2010s were fairly consistent.

Written By: Slim95 on 11/12/16 at 7:57 am

For one, GUI and graphics Design are more flatter this year compared to 2010 when it was more shaded 3d ( Compare windows 7 to windows 10)

Music and the general atmosphere was more upbeat back then too.

I miss the 3d look. It's sad the ugly flat design is what's in today.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 11/12/16 at 8:39 am

Personally I don't see it. I feel like we are in one long era since mid 2008 with a couple differences in culture as the years go by. The 2010s were fairly consistent.

I don't see it as the same since mid 2008. It's more like 2011 to me, since that's when smartphones and tablets started to rise in popularity.

Written By: Slim95 on 11/12/16 at 8:56 am

I don't see it as the same since mid 2008. It's more like 2011 to me, since that's when smartphones and tablets started to rise in popularity.

We've had pretty much the same feel in pop culture since late 2008/2009. Not a whole lot has changedsince then.

Written By: 2001 on 11/12/16 at 3:29 pm

We've had pretty much the same feel in pop culture since late 2008/2009. Not a whole lot has changedsince then.

The names have changed though. Most the people on the chart right now were nobodies 8 years ago. The popular TV shows and movie series today didn't exist 8 years ago too.

Written By: Looney Toon on 11/13/16 at 11:52 am

I just miss the upbeat feel of the early 2010s. Tired of all the nonsense we're seeing now. But I'm still somewhat optimistic for the 2020s. Looking back I'm starting to enjoy quite a lot of late 2000s/early 2010s music (Music in 2010 sounded the same as music from 2008 or 2009 to me).

A major late 2000s/early 2010s song
bESGLojNYSo

2016 music doesn't sound anything like this anymore. Wonder if we'll see an Electropop revival in the future.

Written By: BornIn86 on 11/13/16 at 12:44 pm

The tropical/dancehall/trap/anthem music is really different from 2010s music.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 11/13/16 at 12:45 pm

The tropical/dancehall/trap/anthem music is really different from 2010s music.

I thought the 2010s had that kind of music for a while now.

Written By: Slim95 on 11/13/16 at 2:35 pm

It does. Dancehall is huge in 2016.

Written By: Slim95 on 11/13/16 at 2:37 pm

2016 music doesn't sound anything like this anymore. Wonder if we'll see an Electropop revival in the future.

It doesn't sound that different. We still hear some electropop songs but it just isn't as popular as it was in the late 00s/early 10s (I'm happy about that). As for reviving electropop in the future, please no.

Written By: BornIn86 on 11/13/16 at 2:51 pm

Sorry. I meant 2010 as the year, not the decade.

Written By: BornIn86 on 11/13/16 at 2:58 pm

It doesn't sound that different. We still hear some electropop songs but it just isn't as popular as it was in the late 00s/early 10s (I'm happy about that). As for reviving electropop in the future, please no.

I'll take Robyn's Call Your Girlfriend over everything in the Top 100.  >:(

Nv644ipg2Ss

Written By: 2001 on 11/13/16 at 3:06 pm

I'll take Robyn's Call Your Girlfriend over everything in the Top 100.  >:(

Nv644ipg2Ss

Damn, this song is dope. It doesn't sound like something Slim would like though ;D

Written By: 80sfan on 11/13/16 at 3:15 pm

Damn, this song is dope. It doesn't sound like something Slim would like though ;D

The song is off the chain.

Written By: BornIn86 on 11/13/16 at 3:27 pm

Right? Robyn's Body Talk is a great album. Better than Born this Way. She never got enough radio play in my opinion. Unfortunately, she hasn't released a full album since 2010. I'm hoping she comes back with something and hit it huge like SIA.

Written By: the2001 on 11/13/16 at 5:21 pm

I'm waaay more relaxed than in 2010!  8)

why

Written By: 80sfan on 11/13/16 at 5:24 pm

why

Severe anxiety, and panic attacks, since childhood.

Written By: the2001 on 11/13/16 at 5:25 pm

I just wanna point out you must be on drugs if you think 2010 and 2016 are the same.

Check for new replies or respond here...