inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Has popular culture stagnated in 2016?

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 10/20/16 at 5:37 am

Last year, it felt as if we were right within the midst of core 2010s culture and that the culture was still progressing. Generally speaking, there seemed to be a lot more "hits" within the Top-40 singles charts, with songs such as "Hello", "Uptown Funk", "Cheerleader", "Blank Space" etc. This year, however, most of the singles in the Top-40 charts don't seem to be having the same impact (as the singles released last year) and overall, they just don't seem to be as popular. In fact, probably the only Top-40 singles which have been relatively popular are "Can't Stop The Feeling" and "This Is What You Came For". Also, if you look at the Billboard Hot 100 No.1 Hits from this year, a large proportion of them were released last year.

Overall, the culture just feels really stagnated at the moment. This is just my opinion, and i'm sure others may disagree, however the culture feels a lot different from last year. Either way, I wouldn't consider 2016 to be a "core 2010s" year.

Subject: Re: Has popular culture stagnated in 2016?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/20/16 at 6:27 am

As much as I don't pay attention to the core 2010s that much, I don't think it shouldn't matter so much if 2016 was one of them. 2012-2015 was simply something that I could find as the core 2010s, since it defined on what I looked at for this decade, throughout the years. 2016 on the other hand is just a buffer towards 2015, for what it stood for. Even if I didn't made an account last year, I would still create an account this year.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 10/20/16 at 5:41 pm

Popular culture and culture in general sucks in 2016. I hate the 2010s with a passion and I want them over now.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/20/16 at 6:04 pm

Popular culture and culture in general sucks in 2016. I hate the 2010s with a passion and I want them over now.

I don't really think it would help this decade to be over already. I've been complaining about it for 3 years, yet nobody is listening to us.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 10/20/16 at 7:03 pm

I don't really think it would help this decade to be over already. I've been complaining about it for 3 years, yet nobody is listening to us.

Probably because people today complain online more than the streets. I mean why don't we do the same thing as people did on Disco Demolition when the music now is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much worse than disco ever was?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/20/16 at 7:06 pm

Probably because people today complain online more than the streets. I mean why don't we do the same thing as people did on Disco Demolition when the music now is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much worse than disco ever was?

I even complained about it online. I joined this site to get out from the drama I got from people who argued with me against the 2000s.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 10/20/16 at 7:46 pm

I even complained about it online. I joined this site to get out from the drama I got from people who argued with me against the 2000s.

I'm saying if people protested against the music in the streets, music would become a lot better.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/20/16 at 7:53 pm

I'm saying if people protested against the music in the streets, music would become a lot better.

Yeah, but I don't think a lot of people would care. They'll probably think you're a hipster or something like that.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 10/20/16 at 10:13 pm

Yeah, but I don't think a lot of people would care. They'll probably think you're a hipster or something like that.

It would get on the news fast, especially with the way things spread today.

Do you expect the music industry to listen to complaints online? That's not really visible to most people.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 10/20/16 at 11:27 pm

Personally, I have disliked the decade since 2012. I never liked the culture back in 2010 or 2011 either, however I was hoping that the decade would improve as the years went on. Unfortunately, it has only gotten worse...

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/21/16 at 6:00 am

It would get on the news fast, especially with the way things spread today.

Do you expect the music industry to listen to complaints online? That's not really visible to most people.

They wouldn't really take either their haters on the Internet or in real life seriously. They just see them as average low-lifes, who probably need to do something else than complain about crap.

Personally, I have disliked the decade since 2012. I never liked the culture back in 2010 or 2011 either, however I was hoping that the decade would improve as the years went on. Unfortunately, it has only gotten worse...

It's been different towards me. I would say that it has gone a bit better compared to 2012, but it's still a mess for everything.

Written By: ralfy on 10/21/16 at 11:29 am

Likely part of saturation, as also seen in film, TV, and even video games, where few new ideas emerge.

FWIW, the stagnation for pop music has probably been around for several decades if one considers the point that the same general form has been employed throughout, i.e., around three chords, a dozen or so bars of music, major scales, regular beat, around three minutes long, etc.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/21/16 at 1:54 pm

Likely part of saturation, as also seen in film, TV, and even video games, where few new ideas emerge.

FWIW, the stagnation for pop music has probably been around for several decades if one considers the point that the same general form has been employed throughout, i.e., around three chords, a dozen or so bars of music, major scales, regular beat, around three minutes long, etc.

Yet, this decade has mostly been about repetitive and/or past subjects over popular culture. Bands like blink-182 are making songs, simply for the fact that they've been around since the 90s/early 2000s. Same with other sources of media, like the Star Wars franchise.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/22/16 at 12:00 am

2016 felt like 2015 just much more boring. The same culture is here though, it's just not very good lol. I agree it's time for something new. I think we will see it soon because eventually more people have to complain about this long, boring culture. I think we'll start to see something different next year. Probably by next summer the culture will be pretty different, but I don't want to jinx it.  :-X

Written By: batfan2005 on 10/22/16 at 7:58 am

I don't really care for the culture since late 2013, the beginning of this current era, among other things as well including the political climate and my personal life, which all go together since they can have an impact on the quality of life.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/22/16 at 8:05 am

I don't really care for the culture since late 2013, the beginning of this current era, among other things as well including the political climate and my personal life, which all go together since they can have an impact on the quality of life.

Same with myself. I never bothered to give a crap about most things with this era's culture.

Written By: Longaotian00 on 10/23/17 at 5:41 pm

Yeah......and? Your opinion that the 2010s suck has. Nothing to do with the culutre stagnating, that's just what you think >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

>:(

>:( >:( >:( >:( :-X >:(

Check for new replies or respond here...