inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Nintendo Switch

Written By: mqg96 on 10/20/16 at 9:46 am

So apparently, this is what Project NX has been all about. Tell me what all of you think of this trailer. Could Nintendo be officially done, or will this finally save them from the ashes?

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/nintendo-switch-reveal-trailer-and-all-the-new-det/1100-6444626/

3c6MWsEE884

Edit: So after looking through this trailer, I have to say it does look interesting and unique, and how about some 3rd party support from Nintendo? (any of y'all noticed it?)

Subject: Re: Nintendo Switch

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/20/16 at 10:23 am

I guess Nintendo wants to improve from the Wii U, so I could understand why it looks different than their other consoles. Plus, they didn't put in the Wii name on it, so that's gotta be good. Even with third-party support, that makes it better than the Wii U personally.

Written By: SpyroKev on 10/20/16 at 11:57 am

How it looks shouldn't be the issue. Nintendo switching back to welcoming third party support is a bigger factor.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/20/16 at 1:39 pm

How it looks shouldn't be the issue. Nintendo switching back to welcoming third party support is a bigger factor.

Yeah. Having the company bringing back third-party support is a sign for people to save themselves from their qshes.

Written By: mqg96 on 10/20/16 at 5:04 pm

nZiCKwafDRI

Written By: #Infinity on 10/20/16 at 6:50 pm

It looks like a great system, but I'm also worried that the need to package both a console as well as a handheld device will shoot the retail price through the roof, a particularly bad thing for a system clearly trying to compromise between hardcore and casual gamers, not to mention several Nintendo franchises are arriving on mobile devices for no charge.

I hate to say it, but the Switch does indeed appear to be Nintendo's Dreamcast, just as the Wii U was its Saturn. Objectively, it's an excellent system with pioneering features and improving upon what its predecessor botched up, but the current climate of the gaming industry will likely render it a flop in the long run, once Sony unveils its answer to thr new console.

I will give some credit to Nintendo, though, for at least showcasing the system more explicitly months in advance of its proposed launch. The E3 decision felt like it would doom the console from the start, but this thankfully establishes a foundation for it to possibly succeed.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/20/16 at 6:56 pm

It looks like a great system, but I'm also worried that the need to package both a console as well as a handheld device will shoot the retail price through the roof, a particularly bad thing for a system clearly trying to compromise between hardcore and casual gamers, not to mention several Nintendo franchises are arriving on mobile devices for no charge.

I hate to say it, but the Switch does indeed appear to be Nintendo's Dreamcast, just as the Wii U was its Saturn. Objectively, it's an excellent system with pioneering features and improving upon what its predecessor botched up, but the current climate of the gaming industry will likely render it a flop in the long run, once Sony unveils its answer to thr new console.

I will give some credit to Nintendo, though, for at least showcasing the system more explicitly months in advance of its proposed launch. The E3 decision felt like it would doom the console from the start, but this thankfully establishes a foundation for it to possibly succeed.

I wouldn't think the Switch is like the Dreamcast in most ways, since they would probably try to advertise it better than the Wii U.

Written By: #Infinity on 10/20/16 at 7:17 pm

I wouldn't think the Switch is like the Dreamcast in most ways, since they would probably try to advertise it better than the Wii U.

Well, the Dreamcast was promoted a lot better than the Saturn was, considering the Saturn was released four months early without any warning and came out right after multiple add-ons for the Genesis.

Written By: SpyroKev on 10/21/16 at 9:01 am

With a Pokémon title being confirmed for the Switch should save it from the Dreamcast ranks. If not Pokémon Stadium, It needs to be a sequel to Gale of Darkness if non canon. Just please not Pokémon Snap or Pinball yet. I want to catch and use the Pokémon. Not watch them laugh in my face.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/21/16 at 9:57 am

With a Pokémon title being confirmed for the Switch should save it from the Dreamcast ranks. If not Pokémon Stadium, It needs to be a sequel to Gale of Darkness if non canon. Just please not Pokémon Snap or Pinball yet. I want to catch and use the Pokémon. Not watch them laugh in my face.

If it's an original Pokemon game, then I wouldn't think it's that bad. The Dreamcast had Sonic Adventure 1 and 2, and the games are okay for the series.

Written By: mqg96 on 10/25/16 at 7:46 am

Now it's time for the real truth about the Switch's success in the long run.

RA0iDfyrmtY

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 10/25/16 at 10:00 am

I had no idea they had abandoned third party support. When and why did they do that??

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/25/16 at 2:31 pm

I had no idea they had abandoned third party support. When and why did they do that??

They did it when the Wii U was launched. They barely gave a crap about any other games, aside from their own at the time. Their marketing for the console was so poor because of it. Most of the library were first-party games.

Written By: Looney Toon on 11/01/16 at 5:48 pm

Looks like the Switch is going to be Nintendo's full focus. Just got news that Wii U production ends this week. This makes the Wii U one of the shortest lived consoles. Been in production from 2012 to 2016 (just 4 years  :o).  It'll probably go down in history as one of the unappreciated consoles (like the gamecube, however, the gamecube lasted for 6-7 years and not just 4). I'm not the biggest Wii U supporter, but it's sad to see a console go at such an early time.

Hope the NS doesn't end until the mid 2020s (2017 - 2024 or '25) as it would've lasted for a full console gen.

Written By: SpyroKev on 11/02/16 at 12:12 pm

Looks like the Switch is going to be Nintendo's full focus. Just got news that Wii U production ends this week. This makes the Wii U one of the shortest lived consoles. Been in production from 2012 to 2016 (just 4 years  :o).  It'll probably go down in history as one of the unappreciated consoles (like the gamecube, however, the gamecube lasted for 6-7 years and not just 4). I'm not the biggest Wii U supporter, but it's sad to see a console go at such an early time.

Hope the NS doesn't end until the mid 2020s (2017 - 2024 or '25) as it would've lasted for a full console gen.

The Wii U will have a suffering legacy because of its name. The name of the console alone needs to be forgotten as soon as possible.

Written By: Looney Toon on 11/02/16 at 12:34 pm

The Wii U will have a suffering legacy because of its name. The name of the console alone needs to be forgotten as soon as possible.

The die hard Nintendo fans will remember it. But I feel that even Nintendo is trying to push the Wii U under the rug. Seams Nintendo is already showing the direction they want to take with the NS and their games in general. It'll be insane to compare 2017 Nintendo's ideas and directions to 2014's Nintendo. Within just 3 years there may be a big shift. I feel the shift will become more noticeable as we move through the 9th console gen.

Written By: 2001 on 11/15/16 at 5:10 pm

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH 😱

Zeldallah Breath of the Wind delayed AGAIN.  >:(  >:( TURDtendo has NO plan on beating the Piece of shhh 4 Pro except with its army of ports that we've all beaten four times before. Why do I keep fanboying.... 3 days until Pokémon Moon.

With Hillegend gone and this bait and Switch turning into a bigger disaster than Lady Gaga's recent album, 2017 is officially RUINED. I hope you Trump stains are happy.  All we have left is weed. That beautiful weed... I'm gonna need it.

Written By: 2001 on 12/01/16 at 8:21 pm

Gkfkduajfsjdjfhshggslskddd

All this holiness in one minute!!

JHgUOnPb-30

Godtendo slays again! Sony is OVER.

Written By: 2001 on 12/05/16 at 4:42 pm

The Last (lol) Fraud after 10 years of anticipation has FLOPPED spectacularly, continuing the streak of $ony first party disasters, shooting the salt on the Internet to record levels deemed unsafe for children and the elderly. The only hope now for gaming is GODtendo with Breath of the Wild, come into the light!

Tonight girls, we dine on Phony phanboy tears.

http://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/d4/1e/c7/d41ec7d9c3f9448741e01251680e0160.jpg

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/05/16 at 5:22 pm

The Last (lol) Fraud after 10 years of anticipation has FLOPPED spectacularly, continuing the streak of $ony first party disasters, shooting the salt on the Internet to record levels deemed unsafe for children and the elderly. The only hope now for gaming is GODtendo with Breath of the Wild, come into the light!

Tonight girls, we dine on Phony phanboy tears.

http://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/d4/1e/c7/d41ec7d9c3f9448741e01251680e0160.jpg

Sony hasn't made a good console since the PSP. :P

Written By: 2001 on 12/05/16 at 6:45 pm

Sony hasn't made a good console since the PSP. :P

Preach!

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/05/16 at 6:56 pm

Preach!

Well, the PS3 was okay, but it wasn't as great as the PS1/2.

Written By: 2001 on 12/05/16 at 7:07 pm

Well, the PS3 was okay, but it wasn't as great as the PS1/2.

Xbox 360 was better.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/05/16 at 7:10 pm

Xbox 360 was better.

The Wii was the best, imo. Although, it was only good for about five years. I'm not sure if people still bought new games for the Wii back in 2012, since the Wii U was launched (late in the year though).

Written By: mqg96 on 12/05/16 at 8:45 pm

Xbox 360 was better.

The XBOX 360 was the best console of 7th generation hands down! But it shouldn't have been compared to how 5th & 6th gen's success went.

Written By: mqg96 on 12/05/16 at 8:46 pm

The Wii was the best, imo. Although, it was only good for about five years. I'm not sure if people still bought new games for the Wii back in 2012, since the Wii U was launched (late in the year though).

The Wii's success in 7th gen only lasted for 3 years. The craze started in 2007 but ended in 2010.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 12/05/16 at 8:48 pm

Xbox 360 was better.

The XBOX 360 was the best console of 7th generation hands down! But it shouldn't have been compared to how 5th & 6th gen's success went.

Yeah, it was between 2005 and 2009. From 2010+, PS3 was #1 ;) ;D

Written By: mqg96 on 12/05/16 at 9:04 pm

The XBOX 360 came out in 2005 but IMO it's popularity didn't begin until 2007, and a lot of people underestimate the XBOX 360's popularity from 2010-2013 too. The Kinect and Call of Duty Black Ops were HUGE crazes for the XBOX 360 from late 2010-2012. I'm aware Black Ops was on the PS3 too though. What makes the XBOX 360 special it was popular throughout almost ALL of 7th generation gaming. The same can't be said about the Wii or PS3. The Wii was only popular throughout the late 2000's while the PS3 was only popular throughout the early 2010's, the XBOX 360? BOTH time periods!

Written By: 2001 on 12/05/16 at 9:08 pm

#1 in eXclusive flops.
#1 in getting online hacked and being down for months
#1 in getting your credit card info leaked
#1 in pedophile sales with Hypertune Neptunia ewwwwww

A Tr*mp supporter's dream console.

Just kidding  ;D

You can take the man out of system wars, but you cannot take the system wars out of the man.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 12/05/16 at 9:24 pm

Am I the only person in this thread who's massively skeptical about the Switch? Don't get me wrong, the Switch looks promising (unlike the Wii U did, even when it was announced) and the hybrid console concept is very neat. However, when I read articles like this: http://wccftech.com/nintendo-switch-4gb-ram-32gb-storage/, it gets me worried into thinking that this may be the Wii U all over again.

Even if Nintendo does MOST things right like marketing the console effectively and getting initial third party support, if the console isn't powerful enough to gain a healthy install base before the inevitable PS5 (which is likely coming out sooner than you think; http://www.healthaim.com/ps5-release-date-earlier-expected-console-compact/68047) and the Xbox Scorpio both being VERY powerful machines, than it may seem like the Switch will be Nintendo's 'Dreamcast'. This will likely be Nintendo's last console, but hopefully they prove me wrong. :(

Written By: mqg96 on 12/05/16 at 9:29 pm

Even if Nintendo does MOST things right like marketing the console effectively and getting initial third party support, if the console isn't powerful enough to gain a healthy install base before the inevitable PS5 (which is likely coming out sooner than you think; http://www.healthaim.com/ps5-release-date-earlier-expected-console-compact/68047) and the Xbox Scorpio both being VERY powerful machines, than it may seem like the Switch will be Nintendo's 'Dreamcast'. This will likely be Nintendo's last console, but hopefully they prove me wrong. :(

I agree, along with what you said, Nintendo's gotta stop being "gimmick" first and start focusing on true gaming again for a change, and it still hasn't since the Gamecube era at the latest. Plus, Nintendo continues to listen to its selfish fanboys and rely on remakes of the same old franchises that most true gamers moved on from long time ago.

Written By: 2001 on 12/05/16 at 9:41 pm

I think they should have upped the price by $100 while upgrading the RAM to 8GB. There's a lot of other things about it too, though.

But I don't care. As long as Zeldallah Breath of Fresh Air delivers and saves us from this era of flop and disappointment, I remain perched!

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 12/05/16 at 9:42 pm

I just realized that (assuming I do get a Switch next year) I will have owned 12 different Nintendo gaming systems including the NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Game Boy, Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance, Nintendo DS and Nintendo 3DS. :o

The Switch had better be more successful than the Wii U. Nintendo owes me that much considering how much money I've given them over the years! ;D

Written By: 2001 on 12/05/16 at 9:44 pm

I just realized that (assuming I do get a Switch next year) I will have owned 12 different Nintendo gaming systems including the NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Game Boy, Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance, Nintendo DS and Nintendo 3DS. :o

The Switch had better be more successful than the Wii U. Nintendo owes me that much considering how much money I've given them over the years! ;D

You have a 3DS?? You bought Pokémon?

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 12/05/16 at 10:01 pm

You have a 3DS?? You bought Pokémon?

Oh yeah, the 3DS is awesome. Probably the best gaming platform of this decade when it comes to the sheer number of great games.

I haven't bought a new Pokémon since the '00s, though. For me, the 3DS is all about Bravely Default and A Link Between Worlds. I've wasted hours of my life on those two games alone.

Written By: 2001 on 12/06/16 at 10:16 am

Oh yeah, the 3DS is awesome. Probably the best gaming platform of this decade when it comes to the sheer number of great games.

I haven't bought a new Pokémon since the '00s, though. For me, the 3DS is all about Bravely Default and A Link Between Worlds. I've wasted hours of my life on those two games alone.

Delete your account!

Just kidding  ;D Bravely Default is boss! You need to get X/Y and Sun/Moon thoo..... they both have Pikachu!

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 12/06/16 at 10:24 am

Delete your account!

Just kidding  ;D Bravely Default is boss! You need to get X/Y and Sun/Moon thoo..... they both have Pikachu!

I will tell you this, though. If the rumors that I've been hearing about Pokémon Stars for the Switch turn out to be true then I will be buying my first Pokémon game in quite some time next year.

I've literally been waiting for a full 3D console Pokémon game since 1998, so Nintendo had better not mess this up.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/06/16 at 10:52 am

The Wii's success in 7th gen only lasted for 3 years. The craze started in 2007 but ended in 2010.

No wonder why there wasn't a lot of good games for it in 2011.

Written By: Looney Toon on 12/06/16 at 12:15 pm

I agree, along with what you said, Nintendo's gotta stop being "gimmick" first and start focusing on true gaming again for a change, and it still hasn't since the Gamecube era at the latest. Plus, Nintendo continues to listen to its selfish fanboys and rely on remakes of the same old franchises that most true gamers moved on from long time ago.

Yep, miss the days of the Gamecube and before where they weren't as gimmicky. Heck people still see the Gamecube as Nintendo's best controller. Even caused for them to make that Gamecube controller adapter for the Wii U Smash Bros. Nes, Snes, N64, & NGC are still Ninty's best consoles to me. Wii isn't bad, but I certainly didn't like having to avoid certain titles due to them being Wiimote controls required. 

And the remakes and rehashes of ideas is annoying. But hey maybe Nintendo will be on a different step for the 9th gen. We're finally getting a new 3D Mario game (which I hope is a collectathon like 64/Sunshine, but who knows).

Written By: 2001 on 12/06/16 at 12:42 pm

I will tell you this, though. If the rumors that I've been hearing about Pokémon Stars for the Switch turn out to be true then I will be buying my first Pokémon game in quite some time next year.

I've literally been waiting for a full 3D console Pokémon game since 1998, so Nintendo had better not mess this up.

I'm glad your childhood dreams haven't been ruined by Pokémon Colosseum.  :\'(

Written By: 2001 on 12/06/16 at 12:45 pm

Yep, miss the days of the Gamecube and before where they weren't as gimmicky. Heck people still see the Gamecube as Nintendo's best controller. Even caused for them to make that Gamecube controller adapter for the Wii U Smash Bros. Nes, Snes, N64, & NGC are still Ninty's best consoles to me. Wii isn't bad, but I certainly didn't like having to avoid certain titles due to them being Wiimote controls required. 

And the remakes and rehashes of ideas is annoying. But hey maybe Nintendo will be on a different step for the 9th gen. We're finally getting a new 3D Mario game (which I hope is a collectathon like 64/Sunshine, but who knows).

The Switch standard controller looks tiny, which is weird since this console is primarily targetted at young adults unlike Nintendo's previous consoles. No one wants to buy extra controllers.  :-X

Format #1

http://oyster.ignimgs.com/mediawiki/apis.ign.com/nintendo-nx/8/89/Switch_Setup1.png

Format #2 (controllers separated, eek!)

http://oyster.ignimgs.com/mediawiki/apis.ign.com/nintendo-nx/3/3a/Switch_Setup3.png

Format #3 (whatever the hell this is)

http://oyster.ignimgs.com/mediawiki/apis.ign.com/nintendo-nx/thumb/5/52/Switch_Setup4.png/468px-Switch_Setup4.png

Format #4, an entirely separate controller

http://oyster.ignimgs.com/mediawiki/apis.ign.com/nintendo-nx/thumb/f/fe/Switch_Setup5.png/468px-Switch_Setup5.png

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/06/16 at 4:15 pm

The Wiimote was okay, but I would rather play with the Classic Controller to get the full experience. Although if you ask me, the Super Nintendo controller was the best. Despite having no C-Pad or analog stick. I think that's why people like the N64 and Gamecube controllers better.

If it's a game of where you to collect 120-180 shiny objects like 64, Sunshine, and Galaxy, then it doesn't really seem that cool. Unless the game had a unique port like all of the collectathon games.

Written By: annimal on 12/06/16 at 4:23 pm

NES controller

Written By: Looney Toon on 12/07/16 at 11:55 am

The Wiimote was okay, but I would rather play with the Classic Controller to get the full experience. Although if you ask me, the Super Nintendo controller was the best. Despite having no C-Pad or analog stick. I think that's why people like the N64 and Gamecube controllers better.

If it's a game of where you to collect 120-180 shiny objects like 64, Sunshine, and Galaxy, then it doesn't really seem that cool. Unless the game had a unique port like all of the collectathon games.

I think the new Mario would probably be a linear 3D platformer instead of a collecthathon like 64/Sunshine. The reason the collectathon platformers only lived in the late 1990s/early 2000s (1996 - approx 2003 or '04-ish) is due to people not finding much fun in collecthathons. Heck even linear platformers ended up dying. They lasted a bit longer than collecthathons, but weren't as popular. I  can see why some aren't excited for the genre and why it died (we have some indie 3D platformers such as Hat in Time, Lobodestroyo, and Yooka Laylee, but I doubt they would change any trends in the gaming industry) as the idea of collecting a bunch of mcGuffins in order to advance is very outdated.

People usually prefer Mario when he's running to the closest flag pole and not collecting an X amount of something. Heck in Mario 64 you do more scavenging than actual platforming. But what usually gets me into the genre is that I just like platformers and I don't mind collecting. Also love the colorful/qurky graphics and offbeat characters.

Anyways I'm getting off topic. When talking on topic I am quite curious on how 3rd Party support is doing for Nintendo. It's been said that they have a big list of developers supporting the Switch, but they also said the same thing for the Wii U. And I'm positive the Switch wouldn't be as powerful as the NextBox or the PS5 (if they exist) which is what caused devs to abandon the Wii U when it went against the XB1 and PS4. Also curious on Nintendo's focus. They gonna continue going for the casuals, the hardcore, or try to mix both? Problem with going for casuals is that....well..casual fans aren't exactly loyal to Nintendo. All the Wii casuals didn't buy the Wii U and went straight to mobile. Problem with the hardcore is that there isn't enough of them. The Gamecube is an example of a hardcore Nintendo console yet it didn't sale very well. Same for the N64. In fact From gens 3 to 6 Nintendo's console sales kept declining which means their hardcore fans (the ones who buy all the consoles) aren't enough to make the console successful. Problem with mixing both (like they tried with the WII U to an extent) is that it's very hard to appeal to everyone and they end up pissing off everyone due to alienation to either hardcore or casual.

My $0.02 on the matter. Now to sit back and see the late 2010s/early 2020s era of Nintendo gaming. Also a bit curious on if Nintendo will even have a new handheld system.....which does remind me of something. If the Switch ends up acting as both console and handheld for Nintendo that means that they can put all their games on 1 platform. Problem with the WiiU/3DS scenario was that the 3DS was getting NEARLY ALL of the major games. Out of 100% of Nintendo's games about 25% (give or take) actually went to the Wii U. So with the Switch maybe they could avoid this issue if they don't make a seperate handheld.

Written By: annimal on 12/07/16 at 12:10 pm

Flag pole    and super wasn't bad,but beyond that just starts chang too much.

Written By: mqg96 on 12/07/16 at 12:38 pm

I think the new Mario would probably be a linear 3D platformer instead of a collecthathon like 64/Sunshine.

Speaking of this, I'm about to make a review/rant on the new 3D Mario game trailer for the Switch, but most importantly, it's going to be a debate about 64, Sunshine, Galaxy 1 & 2, 3D Land, and 3D World. The comparisons, the differences, the linear debate, whether it's a REAL 3D Mario game or a fake one. I seriously might consider making that thread tonight. I still think 64 and Galaxy are the top 3D Mario games of all time, but I understand why some people believe Sunshine is better than Galaxy because despite Sunshine's flaws you're still exploring on your own and guessing where the stars are, but in Galaxy there are arrows helping you out to find the star and that's where the linear trend begins but still mostly leaning towards 3D and exploration. Super Mario 3D Land/World takes away the 3D Mario experience completely because it goes by Worlds like 2D Mario games and there are flagpoles at the end of levels like 2D Mario games. 3D Land/World is like a linear box, a lot worse than Galaxy (if that's what they're talking about).

Written By: 2001 on 12/07/16 at 5:05 pm

No one gives a f*ck about Mario it's all about Zelda!!!

Just kidding. I enjoyed 3D Land as a demo concept. For a first game, it was really fun in its simplicity and all the cool new level designs and items. It was a breath of fresh air. But, it was too simple, it was too easy. There was no challenge in the game, and that made it boring as it dragged on. I've only played a little bit of 3D World, and I enjoyed what I played, but it didn't feel particularly challenging to me. If they can take the 3D Land concept and up the difficulty level, I'd love to see a game like that.

But seriously, it's all about Zelda. People excited for a Mario game in 2016? kek.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/07/16 at 5:30 pm

No one gives a f*ck about Mario it's all about Zelda!!!

Just kidding. I enjoyed 3D Land as a demo concept. For a first game, it was really fun in its simplicity and all the cool new level designs and items. It was a breath of fresh air. But, it was too simple, it was too easy. There was no challenge in the game, and that made it boring as it dragged on. I've only played a little bit of 3D World, and I enjoyed what I played, but it didn't feel particularly challenging to me. If they can take the 3D Land concept and up the difficulty level, I'd love to see a game like that.

But seriously, it's all about Zelda. People excited for a Mario game in 2016? kek.

Same with Nintendo. Even though I'm glad that they weren't making countless Mario games, when reviving the Zelda series a few years ago.

Written By: 2001 on 12/07/16 at 8:45 pm

Same with Nintendo. Even though I'm glad that they weren't making countless Mario games, when reviving the Zelda series a few years ago.

They don't really make that many mainline #D Mario games. It's one per console, except the Wii which had two.

Written By: batfan2005 on 12/08/16 at 7:39 pm

They don't really make that many mainline #D Mario games. It's one per console, except the Wii which had two.

I have SM Galaxy 2, but I only played it through once and don't remember much about it. I think it was a lot more linear and more 2D than Galaxy 1. I was impressed with the first one, and it was more similar to 64 and Sunshine with an external area and the worlds you can launch to, and if I remember correctly each world has 3 stars to collect.

Written By: 2001 on 12/08/16 at 8:00 pm

I have SM Galaxy 2, but I only played it through once and don't remember much about it. I think it was a lot more linear and more 2D than Galaxy 1. I was impressed with the first one, and it was more similar to 64 and Sunshine with an external area and the worlds you can launch to, and if I remember correctly each world has 3 stars to collect.

Galaxy 1 was a bit linear to me too, compared to 64/Sunshine. There was always a starting point, and the game guided you to the end point. I haven't played the second one to compare, though.

Written By: Looney Toon on 12/09/16 at 1:13 pm

Galaxy 2 felt a bit more linear. Had a smaller hub world and used 2D sections within the 3D levels a bit more often. According to Nintendo since a lot of gamers (especially gamers in Japan) had trouble playing 3D platformers (part of the reason why the genre pretty much died around 2004) so they tried to make the game more easier. Including an extra dvd that gave tips on how to play, having moments where a shadowy Rosalina would help you out in certain parts of the level, and including more 2D sections. Galaxy 2 ended up being less popular than Galaxy 1 which is probably why Nintendo went for a more isometric/2D style with Mario 3D Land and World.

With Mario Switch I'm curious as to why they decided to move back to the full 3D. Although it does seem like while the gameplay in it is full 3D it appears to be a bit linear and not a collecthathon like the 64/Sunshine.

Written By: batfan2005 on 12/10/16 at 8:05 am

With Mario Switch I'm curious as to why they decided to move back to the full 3D. Although it does seem like while the gameplay in it is full 3D it appears to be a bit linear and not a collecthathon like the 64/Sunshine.

That might be the best, actually. I was hoping the proposed but never released Super Mario 128 or Super Mario 8 for the Gamecube would have been like that.

Written By: batfan2005 on 12/10/16 at 11:01 am

I think I'll buy both versions of Zelda BotW (Wii U and Switch) just to see the difference. The Wii U version looks more like cell shaded animation, like the Windwaker.

http://www.zeldainformer.com/news/breath-of-the-wild-has-a-vastly-improved-draw-distance-on-nintendo-switch

Written By: Shemp97 on 12/16/16 at 9:38 pm

Galaxy 2 felt a bit more linear. Had a smaller hub world and used 2D sections within the 3D levels a bit more often. According to Nintendo since a lot of gamers (especially gamers in Japan) had trouble playing 3D platformers (part of the reason why the genre pretty much died around 2004) so they tried to make the game more easier. Including an extra dvd that gave tips on how to play, having moments where a shadowy Rosalina would help you out in certain parts of the level, and including more 2D sections. Galaxy 2 ended up being less popular than Galaxy 1 which is probably why Nintendo went for a more isometric/2D style with Mario 3D Land and World.

Games where you can jump around were still pretty common long after that. Did you mean collectathons?

Written By: Looney Toon on 12/17/16 at 12:14 pm

Games where you can jump around were still pretty common long after that. Did you mean collectathons?

I'm not talking about games where you jump. We still have games like that now. I mean games where jumping is pretty much the main mechanic. And yes, I also mean collectathons. Even if we're just talking about linear platformers we don't see them often. Heck haven't seen any linear 3d platformers (outside of your average Mario or Sonic) for years in the AAA side of gaming.

Written By: 2001 on 12/17/16 at 1:21 pm

Seeing the "leaked" (unconfirmed) specs makes me extremely worried. Nintendo does realize they have to compete with other consoles right? The Switch doesn't exist in isolation. No one is going to make games for it with pathetic specs like that.  :(

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/17/16 at 1:33 pm

Seeing the "leaked" (unconfirmed) specs makes me extremely worried. Nintendo does realize they have to compete with other consoles right? The Switch doesn't exist in isolation. No one is going to make games for it with pathetic specs like that.  :(

Well, I guess Nintendo is basically going to make more games with the 3DS. The Switch is probably the company's Dreamcast.  :P

Written By: Looney Toon on 12/17/16 at 2:04 pm

Well, I guess Nintendo is basically going to make more games with the 3DS. The Switch is probably the company's Dreamcast.  :P

Wait, you mean a console that will do successful at first and then immediately die once the other consoles release and either put Nintendo out of business or put Nintendo into only making 3rd party games?

As for Ninty's Switch specs I always thought it was end up being underpowered when compared to the next consoles. Heck some say the Switch is weaker than Microsoft's Xbox Scorpio which isn't even a 9th gen console (it's more of an 8.5 gen console). Welp! Time to see how Nintendo's next era of gaming will play out.

Written By: 2001 on 12/17/16 at 2:18 pm

Wait, you mean a console that will do successful at first and then immediately die once the other consoles release and either put Nintendo out of business or put Nintendo into only making 3rd party games?

As for Ninty's Switch specs I always thought it was end up being underpowered when compared to the next consoles. Heck some say the Switch is weaker than Microsoft's Xbox Scorpio which isn't even a 9th gen console (it's more of an 8.5 gen console). Welp! Time to see how Nintendo's next era of gaming will play out.

They're too worried about price. I heard it's US$250 or some such. That's "too low". People are willing to pay much more for a game console, and they should take advantage of that fact.

Written By: Looney Toon on 12/17/16 at 2:45 pm

They're too worried about price. I heard it's US$250 or some such. That's "too low". People are willing to pay much more for a game console, and they should take advantage of that fact.

Oh no. Nintendo better not fall for that trap. People complained about the Wii U being at a "high" price when it first launched.  I swear it's like gamers don't know what they want these days. So many people ended up just saying "I'll just wait for a price drop"  when Wii U came out. Heck they said that for all consoles.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/17/16 at 2:47 pm

Well, at least they have the 3DS. Sega died out with no other consoles surviving it. Especially when the Game Gear is the only handheld console that Sega manufactured, it didn't do well within the gaming industry.

I thought it would be more powerful than the Wii U, since Nintendo promised their fans that they'll do good in the 9th gen. Needless to say, I guess maybe I was right on Nintendo making the Switch as their Dreamcast. No wonder why they don't give a crap about video games nowadays, except for their fans. If it wasn't for their fans, then Nintendo would just stop making games after the Wii.

Written By: Looney Toon on 12/17/16 at 2:55 pm

Well, at least they have the 3DS. Sega died out with no other consoles surviving it. Especially when the Game Gear is the only handheld console that Sega manufactured, it didn't do well within the gaming industry.

I thought it would be more powerful than the Wii U, since Nintendo promised their fans that they'll do good in the 9th gen. Needless to say, I guess maybe I was right on Nintendo making the Switch as their Dreamcast. No wonder why they don't give a crap about video games nowadays, except for their fans. If it wasn't for their fans, then Nintendo would just stop making games after the Wii.

Well at least Nintendo is making success on mobile with Super Mario Run. Wouldn't be surprised if they made mobile devices their main handheld focus instead of making dedicated handheld systems. Mobile is bigger in Japan and American than actual Handheld systems. Curious on how long until you start see other Nintendo titles on Mobile.

Written By: 2001 on 12/17/16 at 3:12 pm

Oh no. Nintendo better not fall for that trap. People complained about the Wii U being at a "high" price when it first launched.  I swear it's like gamers don't know what they want these days. So many people ended up just saying "I'll just wait for a price drop"  when Wii U came out. Heck they said that for all consoles.

That's probably because it wasn't worth the price. It had the same specs as PS3/Xbox 360 while those consoles were ~$200-$250 around then (while having a much more expansive library), and the Wii U was $350. It's all relative.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/17/16 at 3:14 pm

Well at least Nintendo is making success on mobile with Super Mario Run. Wouldn't be surprised if they made mobile devices their main handheld focus instead of making dedicated handheld systems. Mobile is bigger in Japan and American than actual Handheld systems. Curious on how long until you start see other Nintendo titles on Mobile.

If that's the case, then Nintendo might be more liberal within the gaming industry than Sega. But that might be equivalent of Sega making third-party games for other consoles since the 2000s.

Written By: Looney Toon on 12/17/16 at 3:47 pm

That's probably because it wasn't worth the price. It had the same specs as PS3/Xbox 360 while those consoles were ~$200-$250 around then (while having a much more expansive library), and the Wii U was $350. It's all relative.

Although what's funny is that the Switch may end up having weaker specs than current 8th gen consoles (however, this is just some unconfirmed rumor. I remember when people said that the PS4 was stronger than PCs which turned out to be a lie) so the same situation may end up repeating. But who knows for sure?

If that's the case, then Nintendo might be more liberal within the gaming industry than Sega. But that might be equivalent of Sega making third-party games for other consoles since the 2000s.

Well only partially 3rd party as they would still have the Switch console. Right now I'm not certain on how things will be in the future. But as of now the 3ds may be successful, but no where near as close as the GB/GBA/DS (probably due to them releasing before the mobile gaming craze kicked in), and I can see mobile getting even more popular. Takes tons of money to develop a gaming platform while it's cheaper to just make a mobile game yet still make more money in the end. Now all this is just something that I'm spitting out of my butt, however, I am quite concerned on Nintendo's future with hardware. But at the same time I wouldn't be too worried. People said that the 8th gen was gonna perform terrible with mobile games taking over yet here we are today getting excited for the 9th console gen.

Gonna have to take things with a grain of salt, but always be considerate of those grains.

Written By: batfan2005 on 12/17/16 at 4:06 pm

So does that mean Nintendo might start making games for Playstation and Xbox?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/17/16 at 5:05 pm

Well only partially 3rd party as they would still have the Switch console. Right now I'm not certain on how things will be in the future. But as of now the 3ds may be successful, but no where near as close as the GB/GBA/DS (probably due to them releasing before the mobile gaming craze kicked in), and I can see mobile getting even more popular. Takes tons of money to develop a gaming platform while it's cheaper to just make a mobile game yet still make more money in the end. Now all this is just something that I'm spitting out of my butt, however, I am quite concerned on Nintendo's future with hardware. But at the same time I wouldn't be too worried. People said that the 8th gen was gonna perform terrible with mobile games taking over yet here we are today getting excited for the 9th console gen.

Well, I don't think anybody could help but getting a mobile device from Apple or Samsung. I barely see anybody born after the late 2000s using a DS frequently. Although, it just sucks for them because they can't escape through games that are riddled with ads. It's like watching TV, but they have more mature content on them. At least for kids channels, they put in age-appropriate ads to entertain children. Now, it just seems like kids are gonna watch something dirty because of how they're mistakenly used on innocent mobile games. Unless it was on something like Angry Birds, but I think kids now could download anything on their mom's account through the App Store.

Written By: 2001 on 12/17/16 at 7:35 pm

Looks like the Switch might have a VR helmet according to some patents Nintendo filed.

Check for new replies or respond here...