inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Mainstream music in the 2010s

Written By: exodus08 on 10/25/16 at 6:34 pm

Every time I look at U.S Billboards top 50 songs of the week it makes me cringe. What happened to the diversity in mainstream music? The 2000s is the last great decade of diverse music while the 2010 is the decade of sheeshty Country, Rap & Electro Pop. Rock, R&B & Dance are dead. Why can't music be diverse again ?

Subject: Re: Mainstream music in the 2010s

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/25/16 at 6:45 pm

Tell that to the companies who keep publishing these damn modern autotune songs. It might have to deal with the general population liking this a lot, along with sharing it on the Internet as memes.

Written By: exodus08 on 10/25/16 at 7:00 pm

Yeah. Problem is that most people now have Sh**y taste in music. Hipster crap like what you hear on the voice is what makes me hate people even more.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/25/16 at 8:25 pm

Yeah. Problem is that most people now have Sh**y taste in music. Hipster crap like what you hear on the voice is what makes me hate people even more.

Same with me. Although, whenever I think of The Voice, I always think of Fox trying to make American Idol's spirit alive. I mean, the show has a similar aspect towards American Idol with the judges, singing contestants, etc. The only difference is that it airs on NBC.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/25/16 at 10:24 pm

99% of the songs on the radio these days really suck!  8-P

Written By: 80sfan on 10/25/16 at 11:27 pm

I call it the lame-stream music!  ;D  :(

Written By: Howard on 10/26/16 at 5:30 pm

Tell that to the companies who keep publishing these damn modern autotune songs. It might have to deal with the general population liking this a lot, along with sharing it on the Internet as memes.

I hate autotune!  >:(

Written By: Howard on 10/26/16 at 5:31 pm

I agree.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/26/16 at 5:51 pm

It all depends on which radio station you listen to?

Written By: exodus08 on 10/26/16 at 6:57 pm

I listen to KIIS Fm.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 10/27/16 at 3:04 am

I believe a major reason as to why mainstream music is no longer as diverse, is because music producers and artists/bands rely so much on computers to produce their songs. A couple of years ago, I watched this television interview with Will.i.am, from The Black Eyed Peas and in the interview, he told the interviewer that all of the music in his songs can be produced on the computer and he does not require a drum kit or a guitar. A lot of young artists/bands probably prefer to produce their music/songs on the computer, because they have become so accustomed to using the technology and they might view it as being more convenient. That's just my take on it, anyway.

I listen to KIIS Fm.

Just out of curiosity, are you Australian? There is a FM radio station in Sydney called "KIIS FM", which is on the 106.5 frequency.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/27/16 at 4:50 am

I believe a major reason as to why mainstream music is no longer as diverse, is because music producers and artists/bands rely so much on computers to produce their songs. A couple of years ago, I watched this television interview with Will.i.am, from The Black Eyed Peas and in the interview, he told the interviewer that all of the music in his songs can be produced on the computer and he does not require a drum kit or a guitar. A lot of young artists/bands probably prefer to produce their music/songs on the computer, because they have become so accustomed to using the technology and they might view it as being more convenient. That's just my take on it, anyway.

Just out of curiosity, are you Australian? There is a FM radio station in Sydney called "KIIS FM", which is on the 106.5 frequency.
...there is a KISS FM in the UK.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/27/16 at 5:45 am

I guess I'm behind this sort of interest, since I'm usually more into people with actual instruments, instead of sound mixing on computer software that every major producer and band uses in this decade.

Written By: Howard on 10/27/16 at 2:59 pm

It all depends on which radio station you listen to?

I listen to WCBS FM.

Written By: Howard on 10/27/16 at 3:00 pm

...there is a KISS FM in the UK.

also in The U.S. KISS FM 98.7

Written By: Slim95 on 10/27/16 at 3:29 pm

also in The U.S. KISS FM 98.7

In Canada too.

Written By: BornIn86 on 10/29/16 at 1:56 am

The question is...does it suck or is it just not your cup of tea?

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/29/16 at 3:49 am

in my opinion, not my cup of tea.

Written By: exodus08 on 10/29/16 at 11:16 am

No I'm American

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/29/16 at 11:55 am

It's not really my cup of tea, to be honest. I don't enjoy 2010s music, but that doesn't mean I hate it entirely. I like listening to some songs, but not that much.

Written By: Looney Toon on 10/30/16 at 12:37 pm

*Inserts obligatory Jazz comment*

Now if we're talking mainstream music I'm upset with how the 2010s has been doing. Due to the Electro Swing nut that I am I do find Europeon mainstream music to be nice since the ES genre is popular over there (some albums ended up making the charts). But 1 genre isn't enough for me to like a decade's music. For example I liked mainstream 80's music due to liking a lot of the mainstream songs that were placed in many different genres. Nowadays I just see bad rap, hip hop, R&B, or Rock music.

Check for new replies or respond here...