inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Twitter killing Vine?

Written By: exodus08 on 10/28/16 at 4:14 am

On October 27, 2016, Twitter announced it would discontinue the mobile app that allows Vine uploads in the near future, but will keep the website up for users to continue to view Vines that have been posted

What do you guys think? Twitter killed the vine star  :o

Subject: Re: Twitter killing Vine?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/28/16 at 6:57 am

Well, Vines have been a useless trend for about a few years. Some of them have been funny, but it was totally obnoxious. It's sad to see that today's kids would find out that their favorite app is getting discontinued, since most of their childhood involves around social media.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/28/16 at 4:22 pm

Vine peaked last year. 2015 was the year of Vine, it was huge last year. This year you didn't hear about it much.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/28/16 at 4:54 pm

Vine peaked last year. 2015 was the year of Vine, it was huge last year. This year you didn't hear about it much.

I still see a lot of Vines in compilations on YouTube. Although, you're right. Usually, people would use either Snapchat or Instagram to feed on their social media addictions.

Written By: mqg96 on 10/28/16 at 7:27 pm

Vine is getting discontinued period, which means people will no longer be able to post new content on the site, but the archives will still be there for people to share. I think Snapchat's popularity over the last couple of years has played a major role in killing Vine too if you ask me. So I'd consider 2014 as the peak year for Vine rather than 2015, because the start of 2013 is when the app was launched while throughout 2013 it was added to more phone services gaining tons of popularity, which makes 2014 the center year of its popularity. I noticed Vine declining as early as last year (2015), but it was still a lot more relevant then than it is now. All the former Vine users have moved on to Snapchat now.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/28/16 at 7:28 pm

Vine is getting discontinued period, which means people will no longer be able to post new content on the site, but the archives will still be there for people to share. I think Snapchat's popularity over the last couple of years has played a major role in killing Vine too if you ask me. So I'd consider 2014 as the peak year for Vine rather than 2015, because the start of 2013 is when the app was launched while throughout 2013 it was added to more phone services gaining tons of popularity, which makes 2014 the center year of its popularity. I noticed Vine declining as early as last year (2015), but it was still a lot more relevant then than it is now. People only care about Twitter and Snapchat now.

I can't wait until the day Snapchat gets discontinued.

Written By: mqg96 on 10/28/16 at 7:33 pm

Bruh I feel you. I don't care what people use on social media, it's up to them, but I'm not into selfies or posting selfie videos of myself and sharing it with a bunch of people I don't know. I'm only sticking with Facebook and Twitter.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/28/16 at 8:03 pm

Vine is getting discontinued period, which means people will no longer be able to post new content on the site, but the archives will still be there for people to share. I think Snapchat's popularity over the last couple of years has played a major role in killing Vine too if you ask me. So I'd consider 2014 as the peak year for Vine rather than 2015, because the start of 2013 is when the app was launched while throughout 2013 it was added to more phone services gaining tons of popularity, which makes 2014 the center year of its popularity. I noticed Vine declining as early as last year (2015), but it was still a lot more relevant then than it is now. All the former Vine users have moved on to Snapchat now.

I might agree with this. Last year, I couldn't stand seeing Vines everywhere, to the point of where I just wished they died already. Never knew that they would be discontinued at this year, since a lot of people still made new Vines until the discontinuation was announced.

That wouldn't be good, since a lot of people would be pissed about that. Especially in my high school, since I see a lot of students using Snapchat on their smartphones. But in all honesty, I really do wish it could stop spreading everywhere on the Internet. I really don't care about social media so much, unless it's on YouTube or Twitter.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/28/16 at 9:29 pm

That wouldn't be good, since a lot of people would be pissed about that. Especially in my high school, since I see a lot of students using Snapchat on their smartphones. But in all honesty, I really do wish it could stop spreading everywhere on the Internet. I really don't care about social media so much, unless it's on YouTube or Twitter.

It will probably die out on its own pretty soon. By 2020, I predict all these mobile apps that are popular today (Snap Chat, Instagram, MusicLy, etc.) will be die out like MySpace has.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/28/16 at 9:31 pm

It will probably die out on its own pretty soon. By 2020, I predict all these mobile apps that are popular today (Snap Chat, Instagram, MusicLy, etc.) will be die out like MySpace has.

Well, that could be true if another social media network comes out in the near future.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/28/16 at 9:32 pm

Well, that could be true if another social media network comes out in the near future.

I think there will but even if there isn't, people may grow tired of the current social media apps we have today.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/28/16 at 9:34 pm

I think there will but even if there isn't, people may grow tired of the current social media apps we have today.

Well yeah, that might be true. But even with that, where would they do stuff if their favorite apps are discontinued?

Written By: SpyroKev on 10/28/16 at 10:25 pm

I tried watching a Vine compilation, but I don't even remember finishing the video. It was nice how you could make out they were attempting a rivalry against YouTube now that I think about it though. I'll miss that.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/28/16 at 10:32 pm

I tried watching a Vine compilation, but I don't even remember finishing the video. It was nice how you could make out they were attempting a rivalry against YouTube now that I think about it though. I'll miss that.

I thought most of their users had their Vines reuploaded on YouTube.

Written By: SpyroKev on 10/28/16 at 10:38 pm

I thought most of their users had their Vines reuploaded on YouTube.

"Were attempting" But then decided not to because its just too damn impossible.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/28/16 at 10:44 pm

"Were attempting" But then decided not to because its just too damn impossible.

Even though nobody could rival YouTube, with how big they are as a company.

Written By: Howard on 10/29/16 at 7:21 am

I agree Slim, have you done the face swap on Snapchat?

Written By: Howard on 10/29/16 at 7:22 am

So what will be left?

Written By: Slim95 on 10/29/16 at 10:58 am

So what will be left?

Something new and better.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/29/16 at 10:59 am

No I haven't. I don't like Snap Chat.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/29/16 at 11:56 am

I don't think a lot of people here don't like using their crappy filters.

Written By: Howard on 10/29/16 at 5:29 pm

I don't think a lot of people here don't like using their crappy filters.

The filters are pretty silly.

Written By: KatanaChick on 10/30/16 at 5:30 am

I never used Vine or Snap Chat and I'm not surprised that they're passing phases. I did read Twitter is losing popularity against Facebook and Instagram and that people find it hard to use. Either Twitter needs to reinvent itself or it will become a thing of the past.

Check for new replies or respond here...