inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Music in the late 2010s: decline of EDM and return of rock?

Written By: bchris02 on 11/11/16 at 1:39 pm

Does anybody think that music is going to change significantly like it did in the late 1970s?  There is a sharp difference between music during the Nixon/Ford era and the Carter era.

Honestly, it will not surprise me if the late 2010s is marked by the decline of EDM and electropop and the return of rock and more masculine-targeted music to the pop charts, complementing the expected political zeitgeist.  I also think that angrier, edgier hip-hop is going to be a part of that equation.

Subject: Re: Music in the late 2010s: decline of EDM and return of rock?

Written By: 2001 on 11/11/16 at 3:07 pm

Emo and punk revival started in 2013/2014 and are mostly based in the West Coast, but it's still mostly underground. I think they can stage a full-fledged comeback in 2018 when a nationwide Trump backlash starts (hopefully). That would be neat.

Written By: TheKid99 on 11/11/16 at 4:59 pm

Emo and punk revival started in 2013/2014 and are mostly based in the West Coast, but it's still mostly underground. I think they can stage a full-fledged comeback in 2018 when a nationwide Trump backlash starts (hopefully). That would be neat.

I for one am enjoying it being underground....

Some bands ARE based in the Midwest, like Knuckle Puck and Real Friends....

I hope it becomes SEMI mainstream but I will NEVER hope it becomes mainstream like it was in the 2000s.... when you have so many others acting like they love the music, when they were not true fans.... thats what I love about it now, the pop punk bands do it FOR the bands, not the success. :)

There was a pop punk decline from 2006-2010 but ever since then with The Story So Far coming out with its debut EP that year, its been a big uptrend....

The worst compliment any pop punk band can get is "This sounds EXACTLY like Blink..."

Blink, I loved thier early stuff.... but when they got WAY too mainstream, they lost a lot of their artistry.

Written By: 2001 on 11/11/16 at 5:21 pm

I for one am enjoying it being underground....

Some bands ARE based in the Midwest, like Knuckle Puck and Real Friends....

I hope it becomes SEMI mainstream but I will NEVER hope it becomes mainstream like it was in the 2000s.... when you have so many others acting like they love the music, when they were not true fans.... thats what I love about it now, the pop punk bands do it FOR the bands, not the success. :)

There was a pop punk decline from 2006-2010 but ever since then with The Story So Far coming out with its debut EP that year, its been a big uptrend....

The worst compliment any pop punk band can get is "This sounds EXACTLY like Blink..."

Blink, I loved thier early stuff.... but when they got WAY too mainstream, they lost a lot of their artistry.

I can't say I'm huge on the scene. I just listen to the new pop punk whenever an early-mid 2000s band makes a comeback, like Green Day, Blink, Sum 41, Lit, Yellowcard etc. did, and whatever single pops up in my Godify Spotify playlists. I've been more into indie rock since ~2010/2011.

Written By: 80sfan on 11/11/16 at 7:12 pm

Does anybody think that music is going to change significantly like it did in the late 1970s?  There is a sharp difference between music during the Nixon/Ford era and the Carter era.

Honestly, it will not surprise me if the late 2010s is marked by the decline of EDM and electropop and the return of rock and more masculine-targeted music to the pop charts, complementing the expected political zeitgeist.  I also think that angrier, edgier hip-hop is going to be a part of that equation.

I don't mind some EDM and electropop music, but it can get old after a long while. I hope rock comes back though!

Written By: 2001 on 11/11/16 at 7:22 pm

Electropop+EDM was fun during my university party days. Actually, I could still boogie. http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/funny/2/banana.gif

Written By: 80sfan on 11/11/16 at 7:23 pm

Electropop+EDM was fun during my university party days. Actually, I could still boogie. http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/funny/2/banana.gif

Were you hip and edgy? Did the crowd spit out their beats around you?

Written By: 2001 on 11/11/16 at 8:23 pm

Were you hip and edgy? Did the crowd spit out their beats around you?

I was tough, and beat the young crowd's hip with the edgy side of a ladder.

Written By: 2001 on 11/15/16 at 9:11 pm

Hmm I was giving Green Day's recent album a relisten. This song Troubled Times peeved me at first because it sounded too alarmist, but now with Tr*mp's election it rings true.

BRCh3piFPrM

What good is love and peace on earth?
When it's exclusive?
Where's the truth in the written word?
If no one reads it
A new day dawning
Comes without warning
So don't blink twice

We live in troubled times

What part of history we learned
When it's repeated
Some things will never overcome
If we don't seek it
The world stops turning
Paradise burning
So don't think twice

All these 2004 American Idiot teas. Whenever Green Day releases a political album, a political disaster always happens! 😱

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 11/15/16 at 9:34 pm

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/66/Rock_Against_Bush,_Vol._1.jpg

Could we see a "Rock Against Trump" album in the foreseeable future? It does seem like Rock tends to flourish more when it has something to "rebel" against, so perhaps we could see a return of edgier music during the "Trump" Late 2010's.

Written By: #Infinity on 11/15/16 at 9:38 pm

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/66/Rock_Against_Bush,_Vol._1.jpg

Could we see a "Rock Against Trump" album in the foreseeable future? It does seem like Rock tends to flourish more when it has something to "rebel" against, so perhaps we could see a return of edgier music during the "Trump" Late 2010's.

We'll likely get more protest music in the vein of Kendrick Lamar's To Pimp a Butterfly, Beyoncé's Lemonade, and Hamilton: An American Musical. Those seem to be the real "counterculture" anthems of our current age, and there's more of a foundation for that type of music to thrive and expand during the Trump administration than there is for a genre of music that has basically fallen out of favor since the start of the decade.

I think it's likely there will actually be a Rock Against Trump kind of thing in the future, since the punk subculture is still very much alive, but it won't receive nearly the same amount of publicity as Rock Against Bush, which came out during an era that punk was far more ingrained in mainstream popular culture, watered down or not.

Written By: 2001 on 11/16/16 at 8:42 pm

Oh damn I forgot to stop waiting for Tidal to go out of business and buy Lemonade after Beysus performed the phenomenal pantsuit concert for Hillegend. But the album costs $18, and if you buy all the 12 singles on it separately for $1.29 each it adds up to $15.48. What kind of rebel album...  >:(

Written By: 2001 on 11/17/16 at 3:23 pm

I gave in!!

https://i.imgur.com/OFlfIIL.jpg

The first album I bought since 2004. Beysus ha power. Only my rebel queen could.

This album is a serious bop. Britney's new single got buried.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 11/17/16 at 3:35 pm

Hmm I was giving Green Day's recent album a relisten. This song Troubled Times peeved me at first because it sounded too alarmist, but now with Tr*mp's election it rings true.

BRCh3piFPrM

What good is love and peace on earth?
When it's exclusive?
Where's the truth in the written word?
If no one reads it
A new day dawning
Comes without warning
So don't blink twice

What part of history we learned
When it's repeated
Some things will never overcome
If we don't seek it
The world stops turning
Paradise burning
So don't think twice

All these 2004 American Idiot teas. Whenever Green Day releases a political album, a political disaster always happens! 😱

I guess that's why they're like The Simpsons of rock. I meant that with how they both predicted stuff.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 11/18/16 at 6:45 pm

I think we should make a fusion genre where rock is mostly rock but fused with some electronic. Should be cool.

Written By: Slim95 on 11/19/16 at 10:10 pm

I think music will sound different but it won't be some crazy new genre. Just an advancement of what we're hearing now, hopefully an improvement.

Written By: musicguy93 on 11/20/16 at 1:50 pm

I think music will sound different but it won't be some crazy new genre. Just an advancement of what we're hearing now, hopefully an improvement.

Yeah, I don't expect anything to dramatically change in music until the early 2020s. But I do hope the late 2010s will be an improvement. I am sick of the bland, monotonous, nauseating junk of the mid 2010s. I also hope music isn't as overproduced as it was in the early-mid 2010s. But that's just wishful thinking.

Written By: #Infinity on 11/20/16 at 2:03 pm

I like that there's a 1982-ish song on the charts right now, I just wish Bruno Mars was nearly as good a rapper as Grandmaster Flash and Melle Mel.

Written By: 2001 on 11/21/16 at 9:44 am

It begins! Green Day chants "No Trump! No KKK! No fascist USA!" while playing their latest single Bang Bang at the AMAs.

8Ep9m2sQ3ys

Our working class heroes!

Edit: ah, it got removed. I guess they don't want anyone to see it (copyright). Here's another low-quality link but it'll probably already be offline by the time you click it https://youtu.be/5XiszlUi4V4

Written By: wixness on 11/22/16 at 8:44 pm

The 90s and 2010s didn't really need rock music and an edgy aesthetic, sadly, as the establishment was a bit more liberal. I don't like the conservative establishment, but I can take joy in more edgy and androgynous fashion, especially from what they had in the 2000s.

Written By: Arrowstone on 12/01/16 at 8:10 am

I won't expect much of it, though it would be awesome to have some Deftones-like rock in the mainstream. The more this decade lingers on, the more I return to my 00s teenhood.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/01/16 at 10:18 am

The 90s and 2010s didn't really need rock music and an edgy aesthetic, sadly, as the establishment was a bit more liberal. I don't like the conservative establishment, but I can take joy in more edgy and androgynous fashion, especially from what they had in the 2000s.

The early-mid 90s had a lot of rock music, but it wasn't extremely iconic during the late 90s.

Check for new replies or respond here...