inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Best books of the 2010's

Written By: KatanaChick on 11/19/16 at 7:49 pm

So, I've been reading again, even with as little time as I have these days. I finished the Peculiar Children series last month and loved it. Now I'm on Mortal Instruments City of Bone after a recommendation that it was good. Wasn't sure I'd like it, but fantasy involving warriors vs creatures, and dark magic and people with mysterious pasts tends to grab my attention. Any readers on these forums?

Subject: Re: Best books of the 2010's

Written By: 80sfan on 11/19/16 at 8:10 pm

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQVUfGH2xnl2-dhved-QFb32WWfMvjOIBI2A0WBZzGLK5aBBu1E8g

Written By: 2001 on 11/20/16 at 9:43 pm

Looking through my Goodreads account, I've read 39 books since the beginning of 2014, only three of which were fiction books published in the 2010s: The Hunger Games: Mockingjay (Book #3), The Martian, and A Song of Ice and Fire: A Dance With Dragons (Book #5).

Out of those, I'd say The Hunger Games Book #3 was the most pleasant read, but the overarching story of A Song of Ice and Fire is the best fiction I've read.

I wish I would spend more time reading fiction. Unfortunately I can count the number of fiction books I've read on my hands, and even less that were written in this exact decade.

For non-fiction, I'd have to hand it to Nothing To Envy: The Ordinary Lives in North Korea. Okay, technically it was published in 2009, but close enough! From what I remember, the book basically recounted the history of 5 North Koreans who defected largely after the 1990s famine. It was a real eye opener to say the least. In a similar vein, Escape From Camp 14, published in 2012, is another fascinating read. It's about a boy who was born in a North Korean labour camp and was destined to live his entire life there (because of the North Korean government's belief in tainted blood). He manages to escape and lives to tell the tale. Extremely gory and visceral. Something about dystopian societies fascinates me.

Written By: 2001 on 11/22/16 at 1:41 pm

I borrowed Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (published 2013) from the library yesterday. Slow start but still holding my interest somewhat.

Any other readers on this forum?

Check for new replies or respond here...