inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Were the mid 2010's suppose to turn out upbeat ?

Written By: the2001 on 11/28/16 at 8:34 am

Reading alot of theories back in 2011 and 2012, they were saying the mid 2010s were going to have a vibe of the
mid 2000s and mid 90s, well obv things swerved and headed in a more dark direction due to Isis, mass shootings etc.

What you think?
What would the mid 2010s have been had that not happened.
2014 seems like it was setting a template for a more upbeat few years.

Subject: Re: Were the mid 2010's suppose to turn out upbeat ?

Written By: #Infinity on 11/28/16 at 10:17 am

Not every decade has to follow a traditional formula. The 2010s are, so far, playig out much more like the 60s, due to lots of social unrest bubbling from years of systematic neglect, beginning with progressive achievements during the earlier years of the decade before eventually culminating in an explosive late sub-era. My guess is the Trump era will be similar to 1968-1970, only without the innovative counterculture to immortalize it.

Written By: 2001 on 11/28/16 at 12:25 pm

What's your definition of upbeat? I can make a good case for it being upbeat, although it's probably not the appropriate thing to do on its death bed  :\'(

Written By: bchris02 on 11/28/16 at 1:54 pm

Not every decade has to follow a traditional formula. The 2010s are, so far, playig out much more like the 60s, due to lots of social unrest bubbling from years of systematic neglect, beginning with progressive achievements during the earlier years of the decade before eventually culminating in an explosive late sub-era. My guess is the Trump era will be similar to 1968-1970, only without the innovative counterculture to immortalize it.

I agree with this.  I think there are a lot of parallels between the 1960s and 2010s.

The early Sixties were a lot more upbeat and "innocent" than the middle and latter part of the decade.  I think a lot of comparisons can be made between Trump and Nixon.  In terms of a counterculture, we don't know what will take place over the next three years as the decade closes out.

One thing I would like to see is pop music become more political and meaningful, like it did in the late '60s.  I am sick of Ariana Grande, Taylor Swift, and their ilk dominating Top 40 with mindless, manufactured pop.  Given the angst in our society, this is a perfect time to make a mark on popular culture and do something uniquely 2010s.

Written By: #Infinity on 11/28/16 at 4:47 pm

The early Sixties were a lot more upbeat and "innocent" than the middle and latter part of the decade.  I think a lot of comparisons can be made between Trump and Nixon.  In terms of a counterculture, we don't know what will take place over the next three years as the decade closes out.

In all frankness, I think the "counterculture" of this era is primarily manifested in television shows and movies, in contrast to the 60s, which had a lot of innovative and rebellious music but was still rather tame as far as movies and television shows went, aside from a few late 60s exceptions like The Graduate and In the Heat of the Night. That's not to say music can't diversify as well, though, as much as the past few years have been stuck in early 60s levels of banality.

One thing I would like to see is pop music become more political and meaningful, like it did in the late '60s.  I am sick of Ariana Grande, Taylor Swift, and their ilk dominating Top 40 with mindless, manufactured pop.  Given the angst in our society, this is a perfect time to make a mark on popular culture and do something uniquely 2010s.

I'm hoping the cynicism of the present will result in more meaningful music, too. There isn't as great a foundation for a musical renaissance right now as there already was during the mid-1960s, but I suppose you could bank on Kendrick Lamar and Lin-Manuel Miranda as the John Lennons and Bob Dylans of this generation.

Written By: 80sfan on 11/28/16 at 4:52 pm

Not really, with the trajectory the early 10's were going, along with the economic problems of the late 00's and early 2010's, I only felt intuitively that things were going to only get more crazy. And crazy not in the upbeat and happy way.

Written By: bchris02 on 11/28/16 at 4:56 pm

In all frankness, I think the "counterculture" of this era is primarily manifested in television shows and movies, in contrast to the 60s, which had a lot of innovative and rebellious music but was still rather tame as far as movies and television shows went, aside from a few late 60s exceptions like The Graduate and In the Heat of the Night. That's not to say music can't diversify as well, though, as much as the past few years have been stuck in early 60s levels of banality.

I'm hoping the cynicism of the present will result in more meaningful music, too. There isn't as great a foundation for a musical renaissance right now as there already was during the mid-1960s, but I suppose you could bank on Kendrick Lamar and Lin-Manuel Miranda as the John Lennons and Bob Dylans of this generation.

I think what we really need is a new singer/songwriter era. What made music of the late 60s and early 70s so special is the artists themselves wrote the songs as a means of expression. The songs today that are sung by the likes of Ariana Grande and Taylor Swift are written by producers to appeal to the lowest common denominator. Of course, the Sixties did have their equivalents, such as "Sugar Sugar" by the Archies or anything by 1910 Fruitgum Company.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 11/28/16 at 5:57 pm

I didn't even thought the mid 2010s would be upbeat. The world was dark as sh*t when people freaked out over Obama getting reelected (from conservatives' viewpoints), white supremacists gaining power again, Donald trump trying to run for president, all the horrific shootings, etc. Even from 2012, it felt like this decade wouldn't have a happy ending. It's sick to what I have to see for the past 4 years, and I just wish it stops.

Written By: Slim95 on 11/28/16 at 10:15 pm

I thought things would be upbeat when 2013 happened but then 2014 took a massive dark turn. Even before the bad events of late 2014. I actually noticed the shift in late 2013. It went from a fun, upbeat and happy summer to worse music and more of a dark mood later on in the year. I didn't really predict the mid 2010s in the early 2010s but I thought it would be pretty similar and EDM would still be popular and I was right on that. So to answer your question, I don't really think the mid 2010s were meant to be upbeat especially after the recovery of the financial crisis in 2009 and other bad events in the early 2010s.

Written By: batfan2005 on 11/29/16 at 5:44 am

I thought the mid-2010's would be more like the Late 90's/Y2K era, but instead it was a lot darker and gloomier like the Early 90's crack epidemic days.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 11/29/16 at 6:54 am

I thought the mid-2010's would be more like the Late 90's/Y2K era, but instead it was a lot darker and gloomier like the Early 90's crack epidemic days.

At least the early 90s weren't that bad. You didn't have racial division up to high levels, and people didn't freak out over dumb sh*t. Also, pop culture wasn't horrendous at the time.

Written By: Slim95 on 11/29/16 at 10:43 pm

If you think about it, there was no reason for the mid 10s to be upbeat because the early 10s were upbeat and people were getting kind of sick of it. People wanted a more serious mood which the mid 10s offered.

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/30/16 at 5:16 am

January 20, 2017 is when it really turns upbeat.  8)

Written By: BornIn86 on 11/30/16 at 11:00 am

I had positive expectations for the 2010s. Who knows? Maybe things will improve even in the Age of Trump.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 06/02/17 at 5:00 am

I think the Crimea annexation and the disappearance of MH370 in Early 2014 ruined the vibe the decade had. The emergence of IS in Mid 2014 really cemented the pessimistic era we have unfortunately been in since. Had those events not occurred within the same time frame (or at all), I think the Mid 2010s would have turned out quite differently.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 06/02/17 at 7:53 am

I think the Crimea annexation and the disappearance of MH370 in Early 2014 ruined the vibe the decade had. The emergence of IS in Mid 2014 really cemented the pessimistic era we have unfortunately been in since. Had those events not occurred within the same time frame (or at all), I think the Mid 2010s would have turned out quite differently.

I also thought that Elliot Rodger's rampage did a lot to the decade with the whole "beta uprising" thing.

It's kind of shocking how all of those events (Crimean Annexation, MH370 disappearance, Elliot Rodger's rampage, the shooting of Michael Brown/rise of Black Lives Matter, the Ferguson riots, and the emergence of ISIS) all took place within a year.

Written By: HeyJealousy on 06/02/17 at 9:28 am

You forgot "In Cold Blood", not a tame film by any stretch.

Written By: bchris02 on 06/02/17 at 1:16 pm

The mid '10s was already taking a more negative direction by 2013.  After Obama won his second term, social/political tensions really began to shoot through the roof.

There were so many different directions that music could have gone from the foundation built during the early '10s.  In my opinion, it turned out as bland and unmemorable as it possibly could have.  Only now does it seem like music is starting to get a little better.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/02/17 at 5:55 pm

The mid '10s weren't "upbeat" but they sure as hell were a lot better than the early 2010s on the whole. At least the economy was great for the first two years of the mid '10s, and Kesha and Lady Gaga were less prevalent on the radio.

Written By: bchris02 on 06/03/17 at 12:14 am

The mid '10s weren't "upbeat" but they sure as hell were a lot better than the early 2010s on the whole. At least the economy was great for the first two years of the mid '10s, and Kesha and Lady Gaga were less prevalent on the radio.

See, I miss music like Kesha, Lady Gaga, and earlier Katy Perry.  Though the economy was bad, the culture in general seemed a lot more upbeat and carefree at that time.  Around 2012 is when I started to notice a hint of the darker shift coming in.  It arrived fully in 2013.

Written By: Emman on 06/03/17 at 4:29 pm

Not really, with the trajectory the early 10's were going, along with the economic problems of the late 00's and early 2010's, I only felt intuitively that things were going to only get more crazy. And crazy not in the upbeat and happy way.

This is the way I've felt over the years too, the 2010s has never really been "upbeat" in mood, there was initial idealism and hope for Obama but by the 2010 midterms that honeymoon was over.

I expected populism to explode over the years when the Tea Party movement emerged in 2009, then Occupy Wall street happened in 2011 and now authoritarian populism is rising across the West.

I didn't anticipate the racial tensions exploding though.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/03/17 at 6:15 pm

This is the way I've felt over the years too, the 2010s has never really been "upbeat" in mood, there was initial idealism and hope for Obama but by the 2010 midterms that honeymoon was over.

I expected populism to explode over the years when the Tea Party movement emerged in 2009, then Occupy Wall street happened in 2011 and now authoritarian populism is rising across the West.

I didn't anticipate the racial tensions exploding though.

I agree. The 2010s were never truly upbeat and there was always tension in the air since the start.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/04/17 at 2:43 am

2013 was an awesome year, I kind of wish the mid 2010s turned out like that year. The disco trend should have continued and gain in popularity and Macklemore should have had more hits, Ariana Grande should have stuck to her '90s throwback style, more older artists should have come back like Justin Timberlake and come out with a unique style, and more fun, hipster songs (like Thrift Shop) should have been popular rather than dark and depressing songs by Sam Smith and Adele or bland songs by Taylor Swift. The good thing that continued from 2013 musically was Bruno Mars throwback style. Oh and I'm glad 2013 left crazy Miley behind too haha. 2013 was just the perfect year to bridge the early and mid part of the decade and in my opinion, it is the quintessential year of the 2010s so far. It's no secret I loved that year very much, both culturally and for my personal life. What do you guys think went wrong for there to be such a dark turn once 2014 arrived? Any late 2013 events that triggered the shift into a darker direction for culture?

Written By: FunkSoulBrother96 on 06/04/17 at 3:13 pm

"See, I miss music like Kesha, Lady Gaga, and earlier Katy Perry.  Though the economy was bad, the culture in general seemed a lot more upbeat and carefree at that time.  Around 2012 is when I started to notice a hint of the darker shift coming in.  It arrived fully in 2013."

Even though we have opposing political views, I agree with you 100% on this one. You nailed it perfectly. You're right about the dark shift in 2012.

That was the year when Trayvon Martin's controversial shooting happened.

It was also the year when Obama legalized gay marriage, and the use of marijuana in some states.

Plus, there was the drama and racial tension over Obama's re-election, then came Sandy Hook in 2012, and the Mayan end of the world scare. The world was never the same since 2012.

Going back even further, there was the thing about gay teen suicides in September 2010, which lead to political correctness, anti-bullying, and the pushing of gay rights.

Things were much simpler before Obama announced he was running for POTUS. That's when the drama, chaos, and racial tension began, leading up to now.

As for music, I also kinda miss early Lady Gaga and Ke$ha's music as well. (Mainly for the background music and the catchy hooks) I miss the electro pop sound that lasted from 2005 to 2012.

Since 2012, Pop artists have gone Indie/Hipster. They're all trying to sound like Adele, Modest Mouse, Rusted Root, The Lumineers, etc..

On the other hand -- Call me crazy, but I actually like Trap music. Imo, Rap music today is about as good as it was in the Mid - Late 00's.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/04/17 at 3:26 pm

There was no shift in 2012. 2012 was the early 2010s just as 2013 was. 2014 was the first full year of the mid 2010s. If you guys say 2012 was a shift then I can say 2002 was a shift and 2003 was the first full year of the mid 2000s. There is very little difference between 2011 and 2012.

Written By: John Titor on 06/04/17 at 3:27 pm

"See, I miss music like Kesha, Lady Gaga, and earlier Katy Perry.  Though the economy was bad, the culture in general seemed a lot more upbeat and carefree at that time.  Around 2012 is when I started to notice a hint of the darker shift coming in.  It arrived fully in 2013."

Even though we have opposing political views, I agree with you 100% on this one. You nailed it perfectly. You're right about the dark shift in 2012.

That was the year when Trayvon Martin's controversial shooting happened.

It was also the year when Obama legalized gay marriage, and the use of marijuana in some states.

Plus, there was the drama and racial tension over Obama's re-election, then came Sandy Hook in 2012, and the Mayan end of the world scare. The world was never the same since 2012.

Going back even further, there was the thing about gay teen suicides in September 2010, which lead to political correctness, anti-bullying, and the pushing of gay rights.

Things were much simpler before Obama announced he was running for POTUS. That's when the drama, chaos, and racial tension began, leading up to now.

As for music, I also kinda miss early Lady Gaga and Ke$ha's music as well. (Mainly for the background music and the catchy hooks) I miss the electro pop sound that lasted from 2005 to 2012.

Since 2012, Pop artists have gone Indie/Hipster. They're all trying to sound like Adele, Modest Mouse, Rusted Root, The Lumineers, etc..

On the other hand -- Call me crazy, but I actually like Trap music. Imo, Rap music today is about as good as it was in the Mid - Late 00's.

electro pop was not mainstream until 2007 2008 ish

Written By: FunkSoulBrother96 on 06/04/17 at 4:06 pm

"electro pop was not mainstream until 2007 2008 ish"

Some Pop & Rap songs before 2007 did have an electro snyth sound:

Artists like Rihanna, Justin Timberlake, Cassie, Bloodhound Gang, Nine Inch Nails, Yung Joc, Timbaland, Chris Brown, Fergie, Danity Kane, Pussycat Dolls, Akon, T.I., all used a electro synth sound in their songs.

Written By: 2001 on 06/04/17 at 4:14 pm

I honestly don't know what the OP's criteria for upbeat is. It seems entirely subjective and involves conveniently ignoring the dark side of your favourite eras while accentuating the dark side of your most detested eras. We can pretend we're being objective, but in reality it's completely impossible to be objective when it comes to a subject such as this.  :-X

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/04/17 at 4:16 pm

Eh, the Russians simply took back what was stolen from them years ago by Kruschev.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/04/17 at 5:39 pm

"electro pop was not mainstream until 2007 2008 ish"

Some Pop & Rap songs before 2007 did have an electro snyth sound:

Artists like Rihanna, Justin Timberlake, Cassie, Bloodhound Gang, Nine Inch Nails, Yung Joc, Timbaland, Chris Brown, Fergie, Danity Kane, Pussycat Dolls, Akon, T.I., all used a electro synth sound in their songs.

Yeah but it became everywhere in 2009. If you compare the charts of 2006 to 2009, they will still sound different because there was way more variety in 2006 and it wasn't electropop everywhere plus the style was slightly different too (not a lot of autotune was used).

Written By: FunkSoulBrother96 on 06/04/17 at 8:42 pm

"Yeah but it became everywhere in 2009. If you compare the charts of 2006 to 2009, they will still sound different because there was way more variety in 2006" "electropop wasn't everywhere plus the style was slightly different too"

True that. Lady Gaga and Ke$ha came in and made electro Pop mainstream for a short while since 2009. Then Skrillex introduced Dubstep in 2011. Dubstep fell off in 2013, making room for Indie/Hipster artists and retro sounds. I don't really keep up with Pop music anymore, so I can't label recent Pop songs from Bieber, Cyrus, etc.. I'll leave that to you guys.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/04/17 at 8:46 pm

I don't really keep up with Pop music anymore, so I can't label recent Pop songs from Bieber, Cyrus, etc.. I'll leave that to you guys.

Most of those are electronic too, but it is a little different from the sound of the early 2010s. In general, pop music has never shifted from its electronic sound since the late 2000s, it just sounds different from it and it is a different variety of EDM. There are some exceptions of course like some songs use throwback styles or something else. It feels to me that songs just get more and more electronic as the years go on. That's why people say music feels too "overproduced" these days, and I don't disagree with them.

It bothers me that people say the mid '10s were about "teen pop" and "teen pop" was popular. No, the last teen pop trend was bubblegum pop in the very early 2000s and teen pop is not a even real musical genre. I understand if they are talking about specific lyrics relating to teens, but there are no actual beats that make a teen pop genre. Pop music in general has always been targeted towards teens too. So I don't understand why people say the mid 2010s were about teen pop when that's not true and it's not even a genre of music. This decade has been very electronic dance music oriented for the most part.

Written By: BornIn86 on 06/04/17 at 11:54 pm

There was no shift in 2012. 2012 was the early 2010s just as 2013 was. 2014 was the first full year of the mid 2010s. If you guys say 2012 was a shift then I can say 2002 was a shift and 2003 was the first full year of the mid 2000s. There is very little difference between 2011 and 2012.

I can only truly speak for myself, but the Trayvon Martin, The Dark Knight Rises, and Sandy Hook shootings turned 2012 into something different from 2011. Not super different. The energy just felt a bit more...troubled. You could also feel electropop losing its luster.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/05/17 at 12:12 am

You could also feel electropop losing its luster.

This I certainly did not feel at all. Electropop was everywhere in 2012, and it felt like there was no end in sight. Early 2013 was the same. The music for both 2011 and 2012 were identical, electropop everywhere. And everyone was complaining about it in 2012 because it was on so much.

Written By: BornIn86 on 06/05/17 at 12:21 am

This I certainly did not feel at all. Electropop was everywhere in 2012, and it felt like there was no end in sight. Early 2013 was the same. The music for both 2011 and 2012 were identical, electropop everywhere. And everyone was complaining about it in 2012 because it was on so much.

I guess we led two different lives as if we were two different people.  ;D

Written By: Lizardmatum on 06/05/17 at 1:17 pm

I can only truly speak for myself, but the Trayvon Martin, The Dark Knight Rises, and Sandy Hook shootings turned 2012 into something different from 2011. Not super different. The energy just felt a bit more...troubled. You could also feel electropop losing its luster.

I agree totally. I felt around the mid part of 2012 that the electropop era was really starting to come to an end. Also the flashy lens flare music video style that I associate with it was starting to kind of dissapear

Written By: Slim95 on 06/05/17 at 2:45 pm

I agree totally. I felt around the mid part of 2012 that the electropop era was really starting to come to an end. Also the flashy lens flare music video style that I associate with it was starting to kind of dissapear

I never quite felt electropop "dissapeared" but it started to die down a bit in 2013. In 2012 it was just everywhere on the radio.

Written By: aspireone on 06/08/17 at 6:15 am

Can someone tell me what makes Taylor Swift and Ariana Grande bland out of all the current pop stars?

Written By: FunkSoulBrother96 on 06/08/17 at 1:24 pm

Can someone tell me what makes Taylor Swift and Ariana Grande bland out of all the current pop stars?
I don't think they're bland, their music is just Bubblegum Pop-ish...

Written By: Shemp97 on 06/11/17 at 3:23 pm

Not with the oil slump and the poor economy it wasn't.

Written By: KatanaChick on 06/12/17 at 2:52 pm

Events happen when they happen, and this decade after 2010 and 2011 has been nothing but a great big downward spiral. I wish one of these years would become upbeat in spite of everything going on in the world.

Check for new replies or respond here...