inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Artist of the decade so far (2010s)?

Written By: bchris02 on 11/28/16 at 5:06 pm

Please select one from the following choices.  Which of these artists do you think deserves the title of "artist of the decade" as of late 2016?

Lady Gaga
Katy Perry
Ariana Grande
Justin Bieber
Adele

Subject: Re: Artist of the decade so far (2010s)?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 11/28/16 at 5:13 pm

I would've chosen Adele, but Katy Perry simply reminds of what defines this decade. Every year since 2011, I hear her new songs on the radio, even though I've never listened to the radio for a while. I never really cared for Adele that much, aside from hearing her music not too often.

Written By: 80sfan on 11/28/16 at 5:35 pm

I voted the Biebs.  :-X

Written By: 2001 on 11/28/16 at 5:51 pm

Lady Gaga was popular 2009-2012, but Born This Way in 2012 spelled the beginning of the end for her, even though it's my personal favourite, it was not as popular as her previous hits. By the time ARTPOP came out in 2013, she was no longer top-tier in terms of popularity. She performed at the SuperBowl in 2016, which set the stage for a comeback, but Joanne absolutely bombed in sales. She can lay claim to being the defining artist of the early 2010s, but not the entire decade.

Katy Perry hit the scene in the summer of 2008 with I Kissed A Girl and continued to top the charts all the way through 2014. That's when her first set of flops came in, with Birthday and This Is How We Do not doing as well as expected. They were huge hits nonetheless. In 2016, Rise didn't perform as well as expected either despite the promotion. She's still a household name and has yet to have a lead single or an album full of singles failing to hit the #1 spot. She's definitely a top-tier pop girl of the 2010s.

Ariana Grande was a Disney actress in the early 2010s and unknown to anyone without kids under the age of 12 in their household (and if you did, then lawd send help). She's been popular since about 2014, but seeing as she's still yet to have a #1 hit as late as 2017, I find it hard to define her as top-tier pop girl of the 2010s. She's still young, so maybe the 2020s will be kinder to her.

Justin Bieber started off as a teen pop idol in the late 2000s/early 2010s, producing many #1 hits to the dismay of almost everyone over the age of 14. He did experience some bump on the roads in 2012/2013 however in his Beauty and the Beat era, and his songs were struggling to hit #1, and was buried in many personal scandals. He made an impressive comeback in late 2015 with his Purpose album which took on a more mature audience, and got him multiple #1 hits. I would definitely put him in the top tier of pop artists.

What can I say about Adele. She mostly does her own thing and doesn't follow the trends. However, no one really follows her direction, most likely because they cannot match her talenT. She started off in the late 2000s and all her lead singles have got massive radio plays since, with almost no bumps on the road. She's definitely a top tier artist. However, if I was introducing kids in the future to 2010s, Adele wouldn't be the first thing I start off with, because like I said, she doesn't really follow the trends.

I voted for Katy Perry out of those. I'm surprised at the omission of (as much as I hate to admit it)Taylor Swift, and Rihanna, who I think probably have better claim to the title of being the top artist of the 2010s.

Written By: bchris02 on 11/28/16 at 6:04 pm

I added Taylor Swift to the poll.  I associate Rihanna more with the late 2000s than the 2010s, even though she had plenty of huge hits this decade.  Her defining songs in my opinion are "Pon De Replay", "Umbrella", "Take A Bow", "Don't Stop The Music." "Rude Boy", and "We Found Love".  The latter two were from the early 2010s but were very early in the decade.

I do think Joanne has sealed Lady Gaga's place as primarily an early '10s phenomenon.  I am not sure she can come back, at least to her 2010 level of popularity, after two consecutive flops.  However, Lady Gaga's importance transcends that because she singlehandedly changed pop music.  Without Lady Gaga, there is a strong chance '10s music could have gone a completely different direction.

Written By: #Infinity on 11/28/16 at 6:06 pm

Commercially? Adele, easily. Artistically? Kendrick Lamar.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 11/28/16 at 6:18 pm

Commercially? Adele, easily. Artistically? Kendrick Lamar.

More like any other rapper from this decade.

I do think Joanne has sealed Lady Gaga's place as primarily an early '10s phenomenon.  I am not sure she can come back, at least to her 2010 level of popularity, after two consecutive flops.  However, Lady Gaga's importance transcends that because she singlehandedly changed pop music.  Without Lady Gaga, there is a strong chance '10s music could have gone a completely different direction.

Even though there was already Adele, Katy Perry, and Taylor Swift who made ways to 2010s music.

Written By: bchris02 on 11/28/16 at 6:21 pm

Even though there was already Adele, Katy Perry, and Taylor Swift who made ways to 2010s music.

Katy Perry and Taylor Swift's late '00s music were much different than what they did post 2009.  "I Kissed A Girl" and "California Gurls" are quite different in tone and sound.  For Taylor Swift, compared "You Belong With Me" and "Bad Blood."

The first time I had heard of Adele was when she released 21 in 2011 and that was when she was thrusted into the spotlight.  19 a few years earlier didn't perform as well.

I don't think any of those artists were big enough initially to have the impact that Lady Gaga brought to the table.  Lady Gaga was the wave, and the other artists simply rode it.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 11/28/16 at 6:38 pm

Katy Perry and Taylor Swift's late '00s music were much different than what they did post 2009.  "I Kissed A Girl" and "California Gurls" are quite different in tone and sound.  For Taylor Swift, compared "You Belong With Me" and "Bad Blood."

Even though they were already getting attention by the industry around the late 2000s.

The first time I had heard of Adele was when she released 21 in 2011 and that was when she was thrusted into the spotlight.  19 a few years earlier didn't perform as well.

Well, the first time I heard of Adele's music was around 2009/2010. I didn't really know it at first, but when I heard her voice again on another song, then I knew that some people might know about her.

I don't think any of those artists were big enough initially to have the impact that Lady Gaga brought to the table.  Lady Gaga was the wave, and the other artists simply rode it.

Well, they rode it when she did started to produce music.

Written By: #Infinity on 11/28/16 at 6:48 pm

More like any other rapper from this decade.

Have you truly even listened to Kendrick Lamar? He's one of the only musicians out there right now who's actually breaking boundaries for our beloved art form. I'm not talking about guest appearances like on Taylor Swift's "Bad Blood," I mean stuff like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-48u_uWMHY

Written By: Baltimoreian on 11/28/16 at 7:23 pm

Have you truly even listened to Kendrick Lamar? He's one of the only musicians out there right now who's actually breaking boundaries for our beloved art form. I'm not talking about guest appearances like on Taylor Swift's "Bad Blood," I mean stuff like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-48u_uWMHY

I'm okay with his music, but it's just that I'm not a big fan over modern rap.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 11/28/16 at 9:39 pm

Personally, I believe Taylor Swift would be the artist of the decade.  Even though she started off as a country singer back in 2009, since then her songs have had a massive influence. Most importantly, she has had many #1 singles all throughout the decade as well and her singles (such as "Bad Blood", "Shake it Off"etc.) have all been big hits around the world. In my opinion, Rhianna associates more with the Late 2000s, and Lady Gaga and Katy Perry are more defining artists of the "electropop" era, between 2008-2012.

Written By: Slim95 on 11/28/16 at 10:08 pm

Definitely Lady Gaga.

Written By: Slim95 on 11/28/16 at 10:10 pm

I agree. It feels almost like Obama and Lady Gaga teamed up together to create the 2010s decade.  ;D She was what started all the music and trends of this decade.

Written By: 80sfan on 11/28/16 at 11:13 pm

Lady Gaga was popular 2009-2012, but Born This Way in 2012 spelled the beginning of the end for her, even though it's my personal favourite, it was not as popular as her previous hits. By the time ARTPOP came out in 2013, she was no longer top-tier in terms of popularity. She performed at the SuperBowl in 2016, which set the stage for a comeback, but Joanne absolutely bombed in sales. She can lay claim to being the defining artist of the early 2010s, but not the entire decade.

Katy Perry hit the scene in the summer of 2008 with I Kissed A Girl and continued to top the charts all the way through 2014. That's when her first set of flops came in, with Birthday and This Is How We Do not doing as well as expected. They were huge hits nonetheless. In 2016, Rise didn't perform as well as expected either despite the promotion. She's still a household name and has yet to have a lead single or an album full of singles failing to hit the #1 spot. She's definitely a top-tier pop girl of the 2010s.

Ariana Grande was a Disney actress in the early 2010s and unknown to anyone without kids under the age of 12 in their household (and if you did, then lawd send help). She's been popular since about 2014, but seeing as she's still yet to have a #1 hit as late as 2017, I find it hard to define her as top-tier pop girl of the 2010s. She's still young, so maybe the 2020s will be kinder to her.

Justin Bieber started off as a teen pop idol in the late 2000s/early 2010s, producing many #1 hits to the dismay of almost everyone over the age of 14. He did experience some bump on the roads in 2012/2013 however in his Beauty and the Beat era, and his songs were struggling to hit #1, and was buried in many personal scandals. He made an impressive comeback in late 2015 with his Purpose album which took on a more mature audience, and got him multiple #1 hits. I would definitely put him in the top tier of pop artists.

What can I say about Adele. She mostly does her own thing and doesn't follow the trends. However, no one really follows her direction, most likely because they cannot match her talenT. She started off in the late 2000s and all her lead singles have got massive radio plays since, with almost no bumps on the road. She's definitely a top tier artist. However, if I was introducing kids in the future to 2010s, Adele wouldn't be the first thing I start off with, because like I said, she doesn't really follow the trends.

I voted for Katy Perry out of those. I'm surprised at the omission of (as much as I hate to admit it)Taylor Swift, and Rihanna, who I think probably have better claim to the title of being the top artist of the 2010s.

Don't forget Beyonce.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 11/29/16 at 5:28 am

Don't forget Beyonce.

She's sort of a mixed bag in the 2010s. Yeah, there's an album that she released around April, but it's not like she was that popular throughout the decade.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/29/16 at 5:28 am

Don't forget Beyonce.
Several I wish to forget!

Written By: 80sfan on 11/29/16 at 5:42 am

Like Justin Bieber?

Written By: 80sfan on 11/29/16 at 5:42 am

She's sort of a mixed bag in the 2010s. Yeah, there's an album that she released around April, but it's not like she was that popular throughout the decade.

She's pretty popular.

Written By: bchris02 on 11/29/16 at 2:23 pm

I associate Beyonce more with the '00s, despite continued relevance in the '10s.  She's kind of like Madonna in the '90s.  Still relevant and still getting hits, but past her prime.

Written By: Slim95 on 11/29/16 at 2:49 pm

I associate Beyonce more with the '00s, despite continued relevance in the '10s.  She's kind of like Madonna in the '90s.  Still relevant and still getting hits, but past her prime.

Beyonce is not very relevant at all these days.

Written By: bchris02 on 11/29/16 at 3:01 pm

Beyonce is not very relevant at all these days.

Kind of like Madonna in the '90s.  She had sporadic hits throughout the decade but didn't dominate it in the way she did in the '80s.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 11/29/16 at 6:23 pm

Yeah. Beyonce was the talk of the town throughout the late 90s and 2000s in the R&B genre. Even after Destiny's Child broke up in 2006, she was still getting the attention in the mainstream media until the early 2010s.

Written By: mqg96 on 11/29/16 at 6:29 pm

Out of this entire poll Katy Perry has had the biggest influence on music throughout this decade, since she's had consistent electropop music and albums throughout this decade, and she's become a huge pop cultural icon as well being all over the place. Adele would be 2nd place, but TBH as great as Adele has been as an artist she's not 100% original which means she hasn't had the biggest impact on this decade's music in my book, not taking anything away from her though. Lady Gaga and Justin Bieber were only big during the early 2010's, and Ariana Grande has only been big during the mid 2010's.

Written By: nally on 11/29/16 at 6:30 pm

Please select one from the following choices.  Which of these artists do you think deserves the title of "artist of the decade" as of late 2016?

Lady Gaga
Katy Perry
Ariana Grande
Justin Bieber
Adele

Opinions may vary, but of these choices I would probably go with Adele (personally speaking).

Written By: Slim95 on 11/29/16 at 6:32 pm

Out of this entire poll Katy Perry has had the biggest influence on music throughout this decade, since she's had consistent electropop music and albums throughout this decade, and she's become a huge pop cultural icon as well being all over the place. Adele would be 2nd place, but TBH as great as Adele has been as an artist she's not 100% original which means she hasn't had the biggest impact on this decade's music in my book, not taking anything away from her though. Lady Gaga and Justin Bieber were only big during the early 2010's, and Ariana Grande has only been big during the mid 2010's.

The early 2010s define the entire decade so far for me.

Written By: mqg96 on 11/29/16 at 6:33 pm

I agree, and with Adele not following current trends (no wonder I questioned why she looked old fashioned at one point lol), along with doing her own music, this is why I said she's not as original. She's had music consistently throughout the decade but I've heard many other artists in the past who sound like her who had bigger impacts on previous decades.

Written By: mqg96 on 11/29/16 at 6:35 pm

The early 2010s define the entire decade so far for me.

Opinions may vary, but of these choices I would probably go with Adele (personally speaking).

Yep, personal

Written By: 2001 on 11/29/16 at 7:20 pm

Don't forget Beyonce.

You mean Beysus!

I finally bought her album! Don't Hurt Yourself is my feminist anthem.

When you hurt me
You hurt yourself
Don't hurt yourself

When you play me
You play yourself
Don't play yourself

When you love me
You love yourself
Love God herself

I was here to witness these prophetic revelations.

Blasphemy!

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/30/16 at 7:33 am

It has to be Adele! Still selling out in her concerts, sung a Bond movie song, and won awards galore.

Written By: ArcticFox on 11/30/16 at 8:33 am

I chose Taylor Swift, although I think Rihanna or Drake are the Artists of the Decade. Calvin Harris and Coldplay as well.

Written By: BornIn86 on 11/30/16 at 9:37 am

I don't get Katy Perry. I really, really don't. She is the most forgettable popstar I've ever witnessed. If she is the figurehead of this decade's music i.e., forgettable, then so be it. I'll admit that her singles from Teenage Dream were good but I think we can all agree 2010 is very different from the rest of the decade.

Written By: Slim95 on 11/30/16 at 9:45 am

I don't get Katy Perry. I really, really don't. She is the most forgettable popstar I've ever witnessed. If she is the figurehead of this decade's music i.e., forgettable, then so be it. I'll admit that her singles from Teenage Dream were good but I think we can all agree 2010 is very different from the rest of the decade.

2010 is not different from the rest of the decade to me.

Written By: 2001 on 11/30/16 at 9:55 am

Delete this post!!!!

The repackaged Teenage Dream album came out 2012 and it was une phénomène but honnêtement PRISM is her best album.

Written By: BornIn86 on 11/30/16 at 10:10 am

2010 is not different from the rest of the decade to me.

Okay. All of us but Slim.  ;D

Written By: BornIn86 on 11/30/16 at 10:16 am

Delete this post!!!!

The repackaged Teenage Dream album came out 2012 and it was une phénomène but honnêtement PRISM is her best album.

Perhaps it is her best album. Beyonce's self-titled is probably her best body of work but her album B'Day (2006) is my favorite despite knowing it's inferior compared to the self-titled album. 2000s might have been Beyonce's decade but her album released in 2014 is far better.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 11/30/16 at 10:22 am

She's very oversaturated, but I agree she isn't that memorable to casual listeners. However, she has a lot of fans that probably listened to her music since the beginning of her career. So if there's 2010s nostalgia, she'll be remembered constantly by a lot of people.

Written By: 80sfan on 11/30/16 at 10:54 am

Perhaps it is her best album. Beyonce's self-titled is probably her best body of work but her album B'Day (2006) is my favorite despite knowing it's inferior compared to the self-titled album. 2000s might have been Beyonce's decade but her album released in 2014 is far better.

Her 'Beyonce' album era. She was on Time Magazine. To me, that was her peak.

I agree with the idea that she's like 90's Madonna. Still huge, but Madonna wasn't as big after her Sex book (1992) anymore.

Written By: BornIn86 on 11/30/16 at 10:56 am

She's very oversaturated, but I agree she isn't that memorable to casual listeners. However, she has a lot of fans that probably listened to her music since the beginning of her career. So if there's 2010s nostalgia, she'll be remembered constantly by a lot of people.

I don't think she's bad per se. I'm just amazed by her level of fame. Most huge stars have some kind of "gimmick" to them. Katy Perry is the only person with her kind of fame that doesn't. Her overall image is blandness imo.

Written By: nally on 11/30/16 at 11:21 am

It has to be Adele! Still selling out in her concerts, sung a Bond movie song, and won awards galore.

Oh yes!! And a very dear friend of mine went to an Adele concert this past August; the show was sold out but my friend was able to get V.I.P. tickets (I think...).

Written By: 2001 on 11/30/16 at 11:32 am

Yes I agree! The self titled is my favourite albums of her too  :D even though it flopped, lol.

Ranking them...
1) Beyoncé (2014)
2) Lemonade (2016)
3) I AM... SASHA FIERCE (2008)
4) B' Day (2006)
5) Dangerously in Love (2003) correcting for childhood nostalgia lol
?) 4 (2011)

I didn't give 4 a fair listen. I wanted to play Run The World (Girls) when Hillary won but it wasn't meant to be  :\'( instead we were treated to the equally fitting You Can't Always Get What You Want.

Written By: 2001 on 11/30/16 at 11:41 am

I don't think she's bad per se. I'm just amazed by her level of fame. Most huge stars have some kind of "gimmick" to them. Katy Perry is the only person with her kind of fame that doesn't. Her overall image is blandness imo.

Her gimmick is to be appealing to kids while also being provocative. Birthday is played at every birthday party but it means something completely different to kids and adults LOL.

Same thing with songs like Peacock, E.T., Hummingbird Heartbeat and a few others.

I have 11 year old sisters and a lot of nephews/nieces of that age, and we're all Katy Perry fans for completely different reasons LOL

Written By: 80sfan on 11/30/16 at 11:54 am

Yes I agree! The self titled is my favourite albums of her too  :D even though it flopped, lol.

Ranking them...
1) Beyoncé (2014)
2) Lemonade (2016)
3) I AM... SASHA FIERCE (2008)
4) B' Day (2006)
5) Dangerously in Love (2003) correcting for childhood nostalgia lol
?) 4 (2011)

I didn't give 4 a fair listen. I wanted to play Run The World (Girls) when Hillary won but it wasn't meant to be  :\'( instead we were treated to the equally fitting You Can't Always Get What You Want.

To me, once she released Beyonce (2013/2014) she became legend. As before, she was just another gimmicky pop star. Queen!

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR87i2n0t_F9LviGGg5KU7tgH1J1DECqoGXHnDB68-FnE9LfO-5kg

Written By: BornIn86 on 11/30/16 at 11:56 am

Her 'Beyonce' album era. She was on Time Magazine. To me, that was her peak.

I agree with the idea that she's like 90's Madonna. Still huge, but Madonna wasn't as big after her Sex book (1992) anymore.

I like Beyonce and while I think her activism is sincere, her Super Bowl BLM performance was a big jumping the shark. Lemonade was also underwhelming compared to the self-titled album. I think she'll make it in the mainstream to 2019 much like Madonna's Ray of Light but if she's anywhere near as big as she is today past the year 2020 I'll be surprised. She's endured far longer and stronger than everyone on this list. Gotta give her that. I think her artistic taste continue to "refine" so who knows what's in store for her.

Written By: #Infinity on 11/30/16 at 12:22 pm

Beyonce has been really famous since the beginning of 1998, when Destiny Child's "No, No, No" blew up the charts (they were also on the Men in Black soundtrack before that, alongside Alicia Keys). That means she's been a mainstream force for almost 2 decades, a truly impressive feat for any musical act, even though it's still far from Madonna's 28-year run from 1984 to 2012.

In Europe, Take That is still highly relevant, and they've been scoring hits since 1992.

Written By: Slim95 on 11/30/16 at 12:31 pm

Beyonce is one of the most definitive artists of the 2000s. She's not that popular anymore. She still releases albums, but she's kind of like Britney Spears in that nobody gives a crap anymore.

Written By: 80sfan on 11/30/16 at 12:36 pm

I like Beyonce and while I think her activism is sincere, her Super Bowl BLM performance was a big jumping the shark. Lemonade was also underwhelming compared to the self-titled album. I think she'll make it in the mainstream to 2019 much like Madonna's Ray of Light but if she's anywhere near as big as she is today past the year 2020 I'll be surprised. She's endured far longer and stronger than everyone on this list. Gotta give her that. I think her artistic taste continue to "refine" so who knows what's in store for her.

Yeah, she's peaked.

Written By: 2001 on 11/30/16 at 1:07 pm

Beyoncé's Formation won TIME song of the year!! Where are your faves? musicguy93's The 1975 is #2 but the rest of y'all faves ain't nowhere. 👏

http://time.com/4575319/top-10-best-songs-2016/

Where do you start with “Formation?” It’s an unapologetic, specific document of black womanhood in a country struggling with systematic oppression and racist dogwhistling. It’s the perfect epilogue for Lemonade, the “visual album” that mined Beyoncé’s marriage for high drama and reinforced her complete command of her artistry. It’s the foundation for a gigantic world tour and the equivalent of a small country’s GDP in merchandise sales. Things have never been the same for Red Lobster. Maybe you start here: it’s the boldest, weirdest song she’s ever made, a trap-marching band monster sturdy enough to bear all of that cultural weight.

Legend.

Written By: BornIn86 on 11/30/16 at 1:37 pm

Beyonce is one of the most definitive artists of the 2000s. She's not that popular anymore. She still releases albums, but she's kind of like Britney Spears in that nobody gives a crap anymore.

Jesus. Like Britney Spears? I wouldn't go that far. I see Beyonce on my feeds all the time. I will agree that she's peaked.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 11/30/16 at 1:41 pm

Jesus. Like Britney Spears? I wouldn't go that far. I see Beyonce on my feeds all the time. I will agree that she's peaked.

She's probably popular throughout social media, but I don't think a lot of people would hear her music so often.

Written By: #Infinity on 11/30/16 at 1:45 pm

Beyonce isn't releasing top-charting songs anymore like she was in the 00s, but her albums have continued to garner a lot of attention that does not subside after a few days.

Written By: 80sfan on 11/30/16 at 1:48 pm

Beyonce isn't releasing top-charting songs anymore like she was in the 00s, but her albums have continued to garner a lot of attention that does not subside after a few days.

Yes! Finally somebody gets it.

Written By: mqg96 on 11/30/16 at 3:50 pm

See, out of this entire list that was given. I could only go with Katy Perry, since she's had the biggest impact on music throughout this WHOLE decade so far. I would choose Adele (like I said she'd be my 2nd choice) but the problem with me choosing Adele as "the artist of this decade" is that she doesn't follow current trends, she has the type of music that's been made for several decades, and while she has her own talent, there's already been a couple of artists similar to her music who impacted previous decades. I could see why Adele can easily appeal largely to an older audience (like ppl in their 30's, 40's, or 50's who no longer listen to most mainstream music these days). As I've already stated, Lady Gaga and Justin Bieber were only big early in the decade, so they haven't had a huge impact on the WHOLE decade. One more thing, I don't know who said Beyonce had an impact on the 2010's, but that is not true lol, not even close. Beyonce's peak was the 2000's! No brainer.

Written By: bchris02 on 11/30/16 at 3:54 pm

I would say Miley Cyrus is the '10s equivalent to Britney Spears.

Written By: Slim95 on 11/30/16 at 4:09 pm

I would say Miley Cyrus is the '10s equivalent to Britney Spears.

Not even close. Britney Spears is like the Madonna of the 2000s. Super, super famous. Miley Cyrus gained attention but she is not even close to the level of Britney Spears popular. An 80 year old will know who Britney Spears is but may not know who Miley Cyrus is. The closest person of being the Britney Spears of the 10s is Lady Gaga. Even though her fame was super short lived, she was really huge at one point in time.

Written By: bchris02 on 11/30/16 at 4:24 pm

Not even close. Britney Spears is like the Madonna of the 2000s. Super, super famous. Miley Cyrus gained attention but she is not even close to the level of Britney Spears popular. An 80 year old will know who Britney Spears is but may not know who Miley Cyrus is. The closest person of being the Britney Spears of the 10s is Lady Gaga. Even though her fame was super short lived, she was really huge at one point in time.

My Miley Cyrus comparison is because Britney Spears devolved into a tabloid joke in the mid '00s much like Miley Cyrus did this decade.  She did stage a comeback in the late '00s with a new electropop sound and as somewhat of a gay icon, but back in 2006, almost anybody would have thought Britney Spears was a joke whose career was over.  Beyonce on the other hand is still seen as a serious artist, though she isn't as popular as she was last decade.

Written By: BornIn86 on 11/30/16 at 5:04 pm

Serious question...can you guys give me examples of how Katy Perry has affected this decade's music? I can't help but feel like Drake has been more of an influence than Katy Perry but I might be wrong.

Written By: bchris02 on 11/30/16 at 5:23 pm

Serious question...can you guys give me examples of how Katy Perry has affected this decade's music? I can't help but feel like Drake has been more of an influence than Katy Perry but I might be wrong.

Katy Perry was a pioneer during the electropop era, along with Lady Gaga.  I would say that she was more of an early '10s artist, but her impact can still be felt.  I think Katy Perry's 2013 was a definite bridge between electropop and mid '10s teen pop (Ariana Grande).

Written By: 2001 on 11/30/16 at 5:31 pm

I felt PRISM was more mature than Teenage Dream, though  :(

Roar was cheesy, but Unconditionally and Dark Horse afterwards were much darker than the poppy songs she had before.

Written By: Slim95 on 11/30/16 at 6:11 pm

I don't understand what this "teen pop" is. The pop music is electronic still these days. It's just a little less dance-like. More trap music too.

Written By: ArcticFox on 11/30/16 at 7:07 pm

I don't understand what this "teen pop" is. The pop music is electronic still these days. It's just a little less dance-like. More trap music too.

Yeah, same. Justin Bieber was like that for most of his career, and One Direction was bubblegum during their first two albums, Carly Rae Jepsen was associated with that sound for "Call Me Maybe", and Ariana Grande gained a large preteen following with her second album, but there was never really a teen pop trend. If anything they only represented a certain period in a few popular artists' careers.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/01/16 at 7:30 am

The current behaviour of Justin Bieber is a good reason for him to come of the list.

Written By: 2001 on 12/01/16 at 10:22 am

The current behaviour of Justin Bieber is a good reason for him to come of the list.

What did he do now?

Google search says he has got Gomez away from the snake (Taylor) and started a feud. Doing the lord's work,  bless him.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/01/16 at 10:24 am

Sadly, a lot of people are tolerant over his music. Probably more than when he started.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/01/16 at 5:02 pm

What did he do now?
Justin Bieber appears to punch fan reaching into the singer's car http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/38074559/justin-bieber-appears-to-punch-fan-reaching-into-the-singers-car

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/01/16 at 5:04 pm

Sadly, a lot of people are tolerant over his music. Probably more than when he started.
Over the years and in my opinion, he has only haf one good song "Love Yourself".

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/01/16 at 5:41 pm

Over the years and in my opinion, he has only haf one good song "Love Yourself".

The only good one to me is "Sorry".

EDIT: I just realize that I liked "Never Say Never" when it was released, but it was the only song that I liked from Justin Bieber before the aforementioned song was made.

Written By: Slim95 on 12/01/16 at 6:16 pm

The only good one to me is "Sorry".

None of them are good for me.

Written By: 1999 Baby, 2000s Kid on 12/01/16 at 6:29 pm

Honestly, I really think Rihanna needs to be on this list, you can't deny how successful she's been this decade. She has the most number ones of the 2010s so far.

I think I'll choose Katy Perry based on who you have since I think she is a defining artist of the 2010s. I'm not a fan of hers, but she is one of the things that seems really 2010sish to me.

Written By: Slim95 on 12/01/16 at 6:35 pm

Honestly, I really think Rihanna needs to be on this list, you can't deny how successful she's been this decade. She has the most number ones of the 2010s so far.

I think I'll choose Katy Perry based on who you have since I think she is a defining artist of the 2010s. I'm not a fan of hers, but she is one of the things that seems really 2010sish to me.

Rihanna was also popular during the second half of the 2000s too. If you think about, she is one of the longest lasting artists that is very popular today. She first came into the spotlight in 2005.

Written By: 1999 Baby, 2000s Kid on 12/01/16 at 6:41 pm

Rihanna was also popular during the second half of the 2000s too. If you think about, she is one of the longest lasting artists that is very popular today. She first came into the spotlight in 2005.

Yeah, with Pon De Replay. It actually really surprised me how successful she's been so far, found out recently she is 8th best selling artist of all time, above Mariah Carey, and has the 4th most number ones of all time, above Michael Jackson. I just didn't expect it, I guess.

Written By: 2001 on 12/01/16 at 11:39 pm

I pretend to be a Justin Bieber fanboy IRL to troll people.

I know you love me, I know you care...

It sometimes backfires when I meet actual Bieber fans. Then I have to switch tack and say he was good in his Baby days, but sucked after he changed his hair. This is how I live my life.

Written By: mqg96 on 12/02/16 at 6:26 am

Drake wasn't one of the choices given on the poll but I would say he's definitely had one of the biggest impacts on hip-hop throughout this decade. In fact, Drake has revolutionized the hip-hop industry throughout this decade with the combination of his great singing voice and rapping at the same time. He has really great talent and his music is very fluid.

Written By: mqg96 on 12/02/16 at 6:31 am

Drake released his debut album back in 2010 which was Thank Me Later, I remember that like yesterday back in summer 2010 and my freshman year of high school because it had many of my favorite songs at the time like Over and Miss Me. Since then, Drake has been consistent and been a huge impact on not only the hip hop industry, but the music industry in general. Now when I think about it, I think Drake has had more of a big impact than Katy Perry. When Hot Line Bling came out last year, it's funny how so many casual music fans and old people jumped on the bandwagon on Drake and were just finding out about him, but I've known Drake's music since late 2009 lol.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/02/16 at 7:59 am

I pretend to be a Justin Bieber fanboy IRL to troll people.

I know you love me, I know you care...

It sometimes backfires when I meet actual Bieber fans. Then I have to switch tack and say he was good in his Baby days, but sucked after he changed his hair. This is how I live my life.

>:(  >:(

Written By: Fearsword on 12/02/16 at 4:40 pm

Drake released his debut album back in 2010 which was Thank Me Later, I remember that like yesterday back in summer 2010 and my freshman year of high school because it had many of my favorite songs at the time like Over and Miss Me. Since then, Drake has been consistent and been a huge impact on not only the hip hop industry, but the music industry in general. Now when I think about it, I think Drake has had more of a big impact than Katy Perry. When Hot Line Bling came out last year, it's funny how so many casual music fans and old people jumped on the bandwagon on Drake and were just finding out about him, but I've known Drake's music since late 2009 lol.

I remember hearing "Best I ever had" in early 2010. Drake seemed so badass back then!

Written By: ArcticFox on 12/02/16 at 4:54 pm

Nothing is good enough to you lol

Written By: 1999 Baby, 2000s Kid on 12/03/16 at 2:44 am

Oh, yeah, I really loved "Find Your Love" as an 11 year old. My friend told me about him in the 2009-10 school year (don't know exactly when), that's how I was introduced, and I also agree he's had a huge impact, wish there were more options for the poll.

Written By: mqg96 on 12/03/16 at 7:59 am

I remember hearing "Best I ever had" in early 2010. Drake seemed so badass back then!

My one of my Drake albums was "Nothing Was the Same" from 2013. One of my favorite Drake verses of all time was from the song "No Lie" by 2 Chainz ft. Drake. Not only the lyrics were amazing but the music sounded dreamy and got stuck in my head.

Written By: bchris02 on 12/03/16 at 2:11 pm

Yeah I remember "Best I Ever Had" was a pretty big deal in late 2009.  I agree though that Drake has probably been the most consistent hip-hop artist of the 2010s in Top 40.  For the most part, hip-hop hasn't been as big this decade as it was in the '00s.

Written By: 2001 on 12/04/16 at 12:50 pm

King of the Bottoms! Drake is my homeboi, representin' the #6ix! I didn't watch Degrassi, but I remember Best I Ever Had playing everywhere late 2009. By 2011/2012 his songs from Take Care became quotable ;D

Written By: JordanK1982 on 12/04/16 at 1:12 pm

Whenever I'm in the car with someone who's a jackass and decides to play awful top 40 radio, one artist I always hear is Drake. And if it's not Drake then it's someone trying to sound like Drake. If it's not either of the two, it's Adele and her imitators. Lady Gaga and Katy Perry may have gotten the train rolling but in terms of cultural influence and longevity, Drake and Adele are definitely the two I would round it down to for artists of the 2010's. Justin Bieber would be a close third. All three of them rose to popularity as new 10's artists starting around the 2008-2010 range and have stayed consistent in the stoplight since whereas Lady Gaga and Katy Perry have sorta fallen off the map. Taylor Swift isn't really as trend defining as much as she hops on the bandwagon (whatever it may be at the time) to maintain her success. I don't know anything about Ariana Grande aside from the fact that she's way too recent and compared to artists like Drake and Adele, wouldn't seem like a good choice to define the entire decade. They're both simply hit-makers and not much else.

Written By: Slim95 on 12/04/16 at 1:15 pm

King of the Bottoms! Drake is my homeboi, representin' the #6ix! I didn't watch Degrassi, but I remember Best I Ever Had playing everywhere late 2009. By 2011/2012 his songs from Take Care became quotable ;D

I like Drake but I'm still angry at him for starting the YOLO fad in 2012.

Written By: Slim95 on 12/04/16 at 1:17 pm

Drake is the rapper of the 2010s, which is kind of embarrassing when you compare it to the rapper of the 2000s which was Eminem. But he's Canadian so I'll give him a pass.  ;D

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/04/16 at 1:24 pm

Drake is the rapper of the 2010s, which is kind of embarrassing when you compare it to the rapper of the 2000s which was Eminem. But he's Canadian so I'll give him a pass.  ;D

Even though Drake kinda started the modern hip-hop fad, despite being Canadian. I mean, most rap songs now sound like it came from his influences.

Written By: Slim95 on 12/04/16 at 1:36 pm

Even though Drake kinda started the modern hip-hop fad, despite being Canadian. I mean, most rap songs now sound like it came from his influences.

Drake, Lil Wayne, Wiz Khalifa, etc. all started the new sound of rap all around the 2007 - 2009 era.

Written By: 2001 on 12/04/16 at 1:37 pm

Drake, Lil Wayne, Wiz Khalifa, etc. all started the new sound of rap all around the 2007 - 2009 era.

What about Jason Derulo?

Just kidding. Black & Yellow is sooo goood. 2010 was a golden age.

Written By: BornIn86 on 12/04/16 at 1:52 pm

Yeah I remember "Best I Ever Had" was a pretty big deal in late 2009.  I agree though that Drake has probably been the most consistent hip-hop artist of the 2010s in Top 40.  For the most part, hip-hop hasn't been as big this decade as it was in the '00s.

Really? You might be right if we dig up the numbers but here's my take: not to make this a race thing but I've never seen so many white people into rap in my life. I remember back in the 90s there was still this predominate white attitude that rap/hip hop was a black thing or a thug thing or that it wasn't really music at all.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/04/16 at 1:53 pm

Nah. Rap music didn't sound that distinct from the 2000s until 2009, at least.

Written By: Slim95 on 12/04/16 at 1:55 pm

Nah. Rap music didn't sound that distinct from the 2000s until 2009, at least.

Drake and Lil Wayne came into the spotlight in 2008 though...  ??? The late 2000s were huge for changing the sound of rap. 2008 was not only the transitional year for rap,  but for music in general.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/04/16 at 1:56 pm

Drake and Lil Wayne came into the spotlight in 2008 though...  ???

But they didn't make it that well (at least for Drake) until early 2009.

Written By: Slim95 on 12/04/16 at 1:58 pm

But they didn't make it that well (at least for Drake) until early 2009.

Well not really. I heard all about these new artists in 2008. 2007 is when they started recording the new stuff but 2008 is when they became big and popular. This same year Lady Gaga came out with her debut single and Katy Perry became popular during the summer. This was the time when music went to an electronic direction for both rap and pop. This is when R&B sort of died as well.

Anyway, the change and evolution of music cannot happen in only one year. There was a gradual shift in sound during the late 2000s.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/04/16 at 2:00 pm

Well not really. I heard all about these new artists in 2008. 2007 is when they started recording the new stuff but 2008 is when they became big and popular. This same year Lady Gaga came out with her debut single and Katy Perry became popular during the summer. This was the time when music went to an electronic direction for both rap and pop.

It could be towards you, but for the rest of the population, they might've heard of him with "So Far Gone" in early 2009. Or unless they watched Degrassi: The Next Generation during the mid 2000s.

Written By: 2001 on 12/04/16 at 2:00 pm

Really? You might be right if we dig up the numbers but here's my take: not to make this a race thing but I've never seen so many white people into rap in my life. I remember back in the 90s there was still this predominate white attitude that rap/hip hop was a black thing or a thug thing or that it wasn't really music at all.

You should've seen the things I saw 2002/3-2007. The "wiggers/wangsters" were everywhere! (although I think that's an early '90s term)  ;D

I think it started with Eminem, but when 50 Cent came out it was definitely official. Then John Cena came and it got way worse/cheesier, and don't even get me started with Soulja Boy.

Written By: Slim95 on 12/04/16 at 2:02 pm

It could be towards you, but for the rest of the population, they might've heard of him with "So Far Gone" in early 2009. Or unless they watched Degrassi: The Next Generation during the mid 2000s.

The rest of the population? Lol no it's not only for me. My brother and my friends all listened to these guys in summer of 2008.

Written By: Slim95 on 12/04/16 at 2:03 pm

You should've seen the things I saw 2002/3-2007. The "wiggers/wangsters" were everywhere! (although I think that's an early '90s term)  ;D

I think it started with Eminem, but when 50 Cent came out it was definitely official. Then John Cena came and it got way worse/cheesier, and don't even get me started with Soulja Boy.

Soulja Boy was the first thing that came out that ruined rap. It all went downhill from there. I really miss rap from the early 2000s. It was much better back then.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/04/16 at 2:04 pm

The rest of the population? Lol no it's not only for me. My brother and my friends all listened to these guys in summer of 2008.

I meant people outside of Canada.

Written By: Slim95 on 12/04/16 at 2:08 pm

I meant people outside of Canada.

Well Drake released his international mixtapes in late 2008. A little bit before that, he was doing collabs with Lil Wayne and some other American artists and doing some mixtapes. So it's more about if you followed and listened to rap music. Drake ended with Degrassi in 2005 I think. He wasn't on Top 40 radio in 2008 like he is today, but he definitely had a presence in Hip Hop.

Written By: BornIn86 on 12/04/16 at 2:28 pm

Soulja Boy was the first thing that came out that ruined rap. It all went downhill from there. I really miss rap from the early 2000s. It was much better back then.

I was hoping Drake's style would make outrun Soulja Boys but looking at the rappers of today, Soulja Boy clearly won.

Written By: Slim95 on 12/04/16 at 3:16 pm

I was hoping Drake's style would make outrun Soulja Boys but looking at the rappers of today, Soulja Boy clearly won.

But is Drake's style of rap really that different? They're both similar styles and pretty low quality rap when compared to artists like Tupac and even 50 Cent. Drake is not terrible but much worse than rappers of the 2000s.

Check for new replies or respond here...