inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: T.V. shows of the 2020s (or the future in general).

Written By: musicguy93 on 12/01/16 at 2:01 pm

Hey everyone, I've been thinking about the shows that are popular nowadays, and I can't help feeling like there's a similar vibe to them. I know I've talked about this before, but I really don't see the 2010s as the "golden age of T.V.". A lot of these popular drama shows go for the same old "dark and complex" and/or "epic" feel. I know I'm in the minority, but I just cannot enjoy shows like The Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, House of Cards, etc. I just cannot find myself entertained by them, like I do with shows from previous decades. And on the comedy side, I cannot stand it at all. It seems like people coming up with these comedies have this attitude that single-camera sitcoms are inherently "superior" to multi-camera sitcoms. And because of this pretentious mindset, we barely get any multi-camera sitcoms anymore. I love both formats, and believe that there is room for both. However, I cannot stand these modern day single-camera sitcoms like Modern Family, Master of None, and Black-ish. Even the small remaining multi-camera sitcoms like Big Bang Theory and Two Broke Girls are completely unfunny to me. When it comes to cartoons, a lot of them go for that noodly hipster style (ie., Adventure Time, Steven Universe, etc.) It may have seemed fresh at first, but now it's just gotten old. It also doesn't help that I find the characters/situations in these new cartoons to be more annoying than likable. I may be able to tolerate these shows, if there were alternatives for my taste as well. But there's literally nothing for me in this current decade.

So I guess what I want to ask is, what happens next? Is this all that the future has to offer, or will things eventually change? Will 2020s shows offer something different, or will it just be continuation of what is currently popular in the 2010s, with zero alternatives?

Subject: Re: T.V. shows of the 2020s (or the future in general).

Written By: 80sfan on 12/01/16 at 2:33 pm

Has reality TV peaked? It might be looked at as a thing of the 00's and 10's.

Written By: Howard on 12/01/16 at 3:30 pm

Has reality TV peaked? It might be looked at as a thing of the 00's and 10's.

and the future to come.

Written By: 2001 on 12/01/16 at 3:40 pm

It's hard to predict the future. If Netflix continues to grow, I think we're going to continue to see growth in the type of shows you hate, LOL. TV shows are going to become more and more like movies, with big budgets to match. They'll be more cinematic and deep, rather than lighthearted and simple.

I think Netflix is going to start getting into live shows (sports, live events etc.). Interested to see what kind of effect that would have.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/01/16 at 3:55 pm

Since cable TV isn't popular as it used to be, I think Netflix and other sorts of streaming TV might be a standard towards everybody in the 2020s. We could be seeing the last part of cable TV in a short while, and most of the big networks might start making shows exclusively on streaming services. If it might change the quality of shows, I'm not exactly sure if it will.

Written By: Howard on 12/01/16 at 4:23 pm

It's hard to predict the future. If Netflix continues to grow, I think we're going to continue to see growth in the type of shows you hate, LOL. TV shows are going to become more and more like movies, with big budgets to match. They'll be more cinematic and deep, rather than lighthearted and simple.

I think Netflix is going to start getting into live shows (sports, live events etc.). Interested to see what kind of effect that would have.

and YouTube as well.

Written By: musicguy93 on 12/01/16 at 9:31 pm

I'm not sure how Netflix's growth would have an effect on the shows themselves. After all, Fuller House is a Netflix original series. While I do agree that streaming will probably replace original cable, I don't think that necessarily means that the 2020s will be the same as the 2010s in terms of content. You also have to remember that the general public's taste in things do change as time goes by. A lot could change in just 5 years alone. Heck, we don't even know how the late 2010s will turn out.

I do agree that it'll be interesting to see live events on these streaming services though.

Written By: musicguy93 on 12/01/16 at 9:33 pm

Since cable TV isn't popular as it used to be, I think Netflix and other sorts of streaming TV might be a standard towards everybody in the 2020s. We could be seeing the last part of cable TV in a short while, and most of the big networks might start making shows exclusively on streaming services. If it might change the quality of shows, I'm not exactly sure if it will.

Yeah, but think about how tastes generally change with each new decade. I have a hard time believing that what we have right now is all we're going to get in the future.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/01/16 at 9:50 pm

and the future to come.

Really?

Written By: 2001 on 12/01/16 at 10:50 pm

I'm not sure how Netflix's growth would have an effect on the shows themselves. After all, Fuller House is a Netflix original series. While I do agree that streaming will probably replace original cable, I don't think that necessarily means that the 2020s will be the same as the 2010s in terms of content. You also have to remember that the general public's taste in things do change as time goes by. A lot could change in just 5 years alone. Heck, we don't even know how the late 2010s will turn out.

I do agree that it'll be interesting to see live events on these streaming services though.

That's true, it's next to impossible to predict changes in taste, and things of that sort. It's that the medium of Netflix encourages a different way of interacting with content than cable television. One relies more on "binge watching", the latter keeps up suspense, so I think stylistically the TV shows will change to cater to the new format.

It's not a 100% sure fire thing to say TV shows will become more movie-like. But what we do know is that budgets for TV shows are skyrocketing. I hope directors do something more creative and innovative with those large budgets, but the most "obvious" thing to do would be spend it on special effects that make the experience more movie like. Of course, it's also possible that this bubble may pop and we go back to average sized budgets.

What's interesting is that in countries like Canada and the UK (and other countries in Europe), there are talks about imposing a "Netflix tax" that's similar to the BBC licence, to many people's dismay. But what a lot of people don't know is that the licence entitles Netflix to a lot of public content creation funds. I think you're going to be seeing a lot of Netflix Original Series set in and created in different countries, and the TV market will become more globalized.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/01/16 at 10:57 pm

That's true, it's next to impossible to predict changes in taste, and things of that sort. It's that the medium of Netflix encourages a different way of interacting with content than cable television. One relies more on "binge watching", the latter keeps up suspense, so I think stylistically the TV shows will change to cater to the new format.

It's not a 100% sure fire thing to say TV shows will become more movie-like. But what we do know is that budgets for TV shows are skyrocketing. I hope directors do something more creative and innovative with those large budgets, but the most "obvious" thing to do would be spend it on special effects that make the experience more movie like. Of course, it's also possible that this bubble may pop and we go back to average sized budgets.

Sitting and predicting TV trends, and social trends, is a sick way to live! It's a sickness, I tell you!

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd121/Xxfallen_sk8erxX/random%20stuff/Confinement-1.jpg

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/02/16 at 5:57 am

Yeah, but think about how tastes generally change with each new decade. I have a hard time believing that what we have right now is all we're going to get in the future.

Well, it's not easily predictable for the future's trends. I don't give a crap about most TV anymore, so I wouldn't really let it slide so much into the 2020s.

Written By: Howard on 12/02/16 at 7:13 am

Really?

I think that's all what we're going to see in the next 5-10 years.

Check for new replies or respond here...