inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Smartglasses will replace Smartphones by 2025

Written By: Slim95 on 12/04/16 at 3:34 pm

I was reading this article and their predictions are pretty interesting.

https://www.wareable.com/headgear/the-best-smartglasses-google-glass-and-the-rest

They predict augmented reality will surpass shipments of cell phones by 2025. I can see this happening. They just need to improve the technology a little bit so it can truly replace a smartphone and bring the price down to the price of phones today. People need to be comfortable with the video recording aspect of it too. I know they didn't like that when Google Glass first came out but they will have to get over it in order for technology to really move forward. I think by 2030, smartphones will be seen as a very ancient devices people used to communicate with back in the day. It will be seen as interesting retro tech. The 20s are gonna be a huge decade for the growth of augmented reality smart glasses (virtual reality too) and it will be the decline of smartphones and some other tech trends we have today. Unless something else comes to replace virtual/augmented reality, this is the wave of the near future and the next decade.  Technology is growing fast and it is exciting!

Subject: Re: Smartglasses will replace Smartphones by 2025

Written By: 2001 on 12/04/16 at 3:57 pm

My boss has a Google Glass. It collects dust lol.

Somehow, you have to get them to rely less on eyeballs/voice commands. I don't see why smartphones and smartglasses have to be antagonistic technologies. It could be how you dock your phone onto your bike, and then the bike app on your glasses start. When you start your smart stove, then your cooking app shows up etc.

But it has to somehow be even smarter than that.

A lot of smart wearables (glasses, watches) flop because they try to be miniaturized smartphones. We need to come up with new functions for them. That's why FitBits have been successful and the Apple Watch has been a flop, imo.

Written By: Slim95 on 12/04/16 at 4:01 pm

My boss has a Google Glass. It collects dust lol.

Somehow, you have to get them to rely less on eyeballs/voice commands. I don't see why smartphones and smartglasses have to be antagonistic technologies. It could be how you dock your phone onto your bike, and then the bike app on your glasses start. When you start your smart stove, then your cooking app shows up etc.

But it has to somehow be even smarter than that.

A lot of smart wearables (glasses, watches) flop because they try to be miniaturized smartphones. We need to come up with new functions for them. That's why FitBits have been successful and the Apple Watch has been a flop, imo.

Yeah that's true. I also feel these wearable fail because they force you to be connected to your smartphone. The only way a gadget can replace the smartphone is if it can be independent and no need to be tethered to one.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/04/16 at 4:25 pm

If any company would make a better version of Google Glass, then we'll might have that settled.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/04/16 at 4:45 pm

There's gonna be unicorns, rainbows, kittens, and flying jets! I can't wait!!!  :D  :D  :D  :D

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/04/16 at 4:56 pm

There's gonna be unicorns, rainbows, kittens, and flying jets! I can't wait!!!  :D  :D  :D  :D

That sounds like something if you were on psychedelic drugs.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/04/16 at 5:08 pm

That sounds like something if you were on psychedelic drugs.

I was watching a VHS.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/04/16 at 5:15 pm

Btw, how can you take selfies with Smartglasses?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/04/16 at 5:16 pm

Btw, how can you take selfies with Smartglasses?

I don't think you could. You have to wear them, even though they're kinda dumb to look at.

I was watching a VHS.

Impressive

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/04/16 at 5:19 pm

I don't think you could. You have to wear them, even though they're kinda dumb to look at.
Google Glass has been proven to be a failure, and so shall other similar in cooperated glasses.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/04/16 at 5:20 pm

Google Glass has been proven to be a failure, and so shall other similar in cooperated glasses.

I don't know about it. Google Glass just seems to be a prototype on what people would do with mobile devices in the future.

Written By: #Infinity on 12/04/16 at 6:37 pm

From what I hear, Google Glass tanked. The only way smart glasses will replace smartphones is if they evolve into something more convenient and not just for show.

Written By: Slim95 on 12/04/16 at 7:45 pm

From what I hear, Google Glass tanked. The only way smart glasses will replace smartphones is if they evolve into something more convenient and not just for show.

Google Glass didn't tank lol. Not even close. It's just too expensive for people now. In a couple of years, these will definitely be commonplace. This is a similar situation with the first IPhone.

Written By: Slim95 on 12/04/16 at 7:47 pm

How is Google Glass a failure? They're working on a new version right now. They are updating it for consumers now. That's like saying the first IPhone tanked because people weren't ready for smartphones yet. Google Glass is gonna be huge in a couple of years.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/04/16 at 7:57 pm

How is Google Glass a failure? They're working on a new version right now. They are updating it for consumers now. That's like saying the first IPhone tanked because people weren't ready for smartphones yet. Google Glass is gonna be huge in a couple of years.
Five reasons we (the BBC) reckon Google Glass was pulled

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/30830265/five-reasons-we-reckon-google-glass-was-pulled

Written By: Slim95 on 12/04/16 at 7:59 pm

Five reasons we (the BBC) reckon Google Glass was pulled

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/30830265/five-reasons-we-reckon-google-glass-was-pulled

For now, yes. But very soon it will come back with another version for consumers. This was almost like a prototype, not completely finished and too expensive. If Hololens will succeed, so will Google Glass and the many other ARs that come after it. VR and AR is the future at this point.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/04/16 at 8:23 pm

For now, yes. But very soon it will come back with another version for consumers. This was almost like a prototype, not completely finished and too expensive. If Hololens will succeed, so will Google Glass and the many other ARs that come after it. VR and AR is the future at this point.
If so, how do you charge the glasses when you still need to wear them?

Written By: Slim95 on 12/04/16 at 8:37 pm

They'll have all that figured out soon enough. The future has an endless amount of possibilities.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/04/16 at 8:55 pm

How is Google Glass a failure?

It never got a lot of sales by anybody. Only rich people and successful businessmen bought them, which is not even close to the general public. I have never known one person who bought a set of Google Glasses. I don't even think they had it at most electronic stores where I live.

They're working on a new version right now. They are updating it for consumers now. That's like saying the first IPhone tanked because people weren't ready for smartphones yet. Google Glass is gonna be huge in a couple of years.

The first iPhone never really tanked. It was actually successful within the market. But the sales didn't really rise up for the iPhone until late 2008. That's the difference with Google Glass. Hell, not even a lot of people even heard that it was discontinued in 2015. That's how unpopular that thing is. It was just nothing more than an experimental device, that only got the attention towards entrepreneurs.

Written By: Slim95 on 12/04/16 at 9:12 pm

It never got a lot of sales by anybody. Only rich people and successful businessmen bought them, which is not even close to the general public. I have never known one person who bought a set of Google Glasses. I don't even think they had it at most electronic stores where I live.

The first iPhone never really tanked. It was actually successful within the market. But the sales didn't really rise up for the iPhone until late 2008. That's the difference with Google Glass. Hell, not even a lot of people even heard that it was discontinued in 2015. That's how unpopular that thing is. It was just nothing more than an experimental device, that only got the attention towards entrepreneurs.

It didn't get discontinued though... Google is working on another version as we speak. Hence why it isn't a failure. I know people with Google Glass. It's just the average consumer can't afford it right now. It's still the opposite of a failure, everyone would want it when the price comes down, which it will. Google Glass is the future, it didn't fail. I can't wait to get my hands on one. I'm excited for hololens too.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/04/16 at 9:31 pm

They'll have all that figured out soon enough. The future has an endless amount of possibilities.
...buy two pairs for the price of one?

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 12/04/16 at 10:49 pm

At the rate technology has been advancing, I wouldn't be at all surprised if they had smart contact lenses by 2030.  :o

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/04/16 at 11:56 pm

At the rate technology has been advancing, I wouldn't be at all surprised if they had smart contact lenses by 2030.  :o
Then next it would be smart implants?

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/05/16 at 3:04 am

...how can you see through the contract lens if you are viewing whatever to operate the phone?

Written By: Howard on 12/05/16 at 2:55 pm

Yeah that's true. I also feel these wearable fail because they force you to be connected to your smartphone. The only way a gadget can replace the smartphone is if it can be independent and no need to be tethered to one.

and why do we need them anyways? ::)

Written By: Howard on 12/05/16 at 2:57 pm

Google Glass didn't tank lol. Not even close. It's just too expensive for people now. In a couple of years, these will definitely be commonplace. This is a similar situation with the first IPhone.

in the next couple of years they'll be sold at garage sales.

Written By: Howard on 12/05/16 at 2:58 pm

I'm looking forward to the future.

Written By: Howard on 12/05/16 at 2:58 pm

Then next it would be smart implants?

or smart transplants.

Written By: bchris02 on 12/05/16 at 3:12 pm

Smartglasses are a great idea in theory or for the depiction of the future in a science fiction movie, but there are some real practical issues with them.  I can't say they will never catch on, but we are a ways away.

Google Glass is to viable smartglasses what late 90s Palm Pilots were to today's smartphones.  If you had a Palm Pilot in 1999, it was a "cool, high-tech" device but wasn't super practical.

Written By: duenas8 on 06/07/18 at 2:23 am

Smartglasses are a great idea in theory or for the depiction of the future in a science fiction movie, but there are some real practical issues with them.  I can't say they will never catch on, but we are a ways away.

Google Glass is to viable smartglasses what late 90s Palm Pilots were to today's smartphones.  If you had a Palm Pilot in 1999, it was a "cool, high-tech" device but wasn't super practical.

Rather than owning a Palm in 1999, I think is more like having a cellphone in the 90s. It could be really practical, but its hardware is still very experimental.

These are the first AR glasses btw:
Magic Leap

https://www.roadtovr.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/magic-leap-one-lightwear-lightpack-control.jpg

Written By: Dundee on 06/07/18 at 4:17 am

Wow, this thread reminded me of how google glasses were ever a thing  ;D

Written By: Howard on 06/07/18 at 5:18 am

I wouldn't want to wear glasses while walking down the street browsing the internet, it would look kind of stupid. ::)

Written By: ofkx on 06/07/18 at 12:20 pm

Holy crap, I forgot that Google glass existed ;D ;D ;D. No wonder it failed, it looked HORRIBLE and was impractical.

Written By: Wobo on 06/07/18 at 2:30 pm

I honestly wonder what 2025 will be like hopefully it will be better than 2015 personal wise.

Written By: Howard on 06/08/18 at 7:09 am

Holy crap, I forgot that Google glass existed ;D ;D ;D. No wonder it failed, it looked HORRIBLE and was impractical.

It's like you were wearing actual glasses.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/09/18 at 5:37 am

Another reason for pedestrians to bump into each other?

Check for new replies or respond here...