inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Do any of you like computers more than smartphones?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/12/16 at 10:32 am

Something that has been caught on my mind for a long time is why do teens find smartphones to be better than computers. Personally, I find computers to be better than any cell phone. They're faster than phones, along with having a lot more storage. So what do you guys think?

Subject: Re: Do any of you like computers more than smartphones?

Written By: 2001 on 12/12/16 at 11:39 am

I use them for different things and even in tandem. I don't know, this is like asking me if I prefer my oven or my stove ;D

I know for sure though that I don't care for tablets. I have an ereader with months of battery life and that's all I can imagine me doing on my tablet that I can't already do on my phone/laptop.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/12/16 at 1:40 pm

I use them for different things and even in tandem. I don't know, this is like asking me if I prefer my oven or my stove ;D

I know for sure though that I don't care for tablets. I have an ereader with months of battery life and that's all I can imagine me doing on my tablet that I can't already do on my phone/laptop.

I sometimes use my iPad for reading digital copies with my Kindle app, but it's not as comfortable as reading a physical copy of a book. For one thing, the light on my iPad irritates me whenever I read it for so long. So if I wanted to read for about an hour, I would rather do it on a physical copy.

Written By: #Infinity on 12/12/16 at 2:01 pm

Heck yes I prefer computers. The screens are larger, the Internet access speedier, you can still use a mouse, and typing on a keyboard is far more intuitive to me than touchscreen typing is.

Written By: Howard on 12/12/16 at 2:10 pm

Heck yes I prefer computers. The screens are larger, the Internet access speedier, you can still use a mouse, and typing on a keyboard is far more intuitive to me than touchscreen typing is.

I prefer a computer myself and I don't own a smartphone.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/12/16 at 3:14 pm

I had the same feeling with smartphones as well. Whenever I type something on my phone, they're usually annoying since the keyboard is laggy.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 12/12/16 at 3:34 pm

I love Sparky (my laptop) I don't even own a smartphone. It seems like a hassle outside of the benefit of taking selfies with better lighting, I have no use for one. My friend has one and literally she will watch like 3 Youtube videos and have to charge the damn thing. If I'm in the middle of something I don't want to have to hok it up and wait for a charge.
besides,I write incessantly, and no amount of thumbing a screen makes up for using all my fingers to type. I took a typing class in 6th grade, I didn't bust my ass all semester to just use my THUMBS as an adult.  >:(

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/12/16 at 4:02 pm

I love Sparky (my laptop) I don't even own a smartphone. It seems like a hassle outside of the benefit of taking selfies with better lighting, I have no use for one. My friend has one and literally she will watch like 3 Youtube videos and have to charge the damn thing.

Same here. Whenever I want to watch a marathon full of Youtube videos, there wouldn't be a chance in hell that it would be on my iPhone. It's certainly a piece of crap whenever it's on low battery.

If I'm in the middle of something I don't want to have to hok it up and wait for a charge.
besides,I write incessantly, and no amount of thumbing a screen makes up for using all my fingers to type. I took a typing class in 6th grade, I didn't bust my ass all semester to just use my THUMBS as an adult.  >:(

I loved typing on computer keyboards when I was a kid, but it's a certain pain in the ass when I have to "text" on my iPhone. I don't even like of how I have to do a long post on my iPhone, since it's more laggy than a computer running Windows 98 (with a virus). I don't know why people my age enjoy typing on a device in which it's slower than a 20 year old computer.

Written By: 2001 on 12/12/16 at 4:46 pm

I think I'm the only Gen Z'er on this forum, so it's important to defend the honour of smartphones. Smartphones suck at doing computer things, but it's hard to use a computer

*As a portable music player/streaming device.
*For taking pictures and videos on the go.
*For GPS navigation.
*To pay for things at a physical checkout.
*As an alarm clock.
*To dance with to the #Selfie song.

Your fave tried.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/12/16 at 6:23 pm

I think I'm the only Gen Z'er on this forum, so it's important to defend the honour of smartphones. Smartphones suck at doing computer things, but it's hard to use a computer

*For GPS navigation.
*As an alarm clock.

Your fave tried.

PCs ftw, even though they can't do portable crap. Although, I would care less since I don't need any of that stuff. Unless you were talking about an alarm clock, which I already have.  8)

Written By: Starlighter on 12/12/16 at 6:55 pm

I like computers better hands down. 

*For GPS navigation.
*As an alarm clock.

Your fave tried.

You probably would have disliked the computers back in the day that you had to type in commands for them to work.  They weren't like today's computers where we just click on thumbnails of a program and it opens.  True, I can't carry around my desktop to do that stuff, but if I want that stuff I can still have access to it.  There are stand alone navigation devices and some cars come with built in navigation devices now.  They still make cameras.  A camera gives you more flexibility when you take pictures than a smartphone (e.g. cameras take better low light pics and have faster shutter speeds).  If one minds carrying around different devices, then a smartphone would be best for them, but there are other options. 

Written By: 2001 on 12/12/16 at 7:11 pm

I like computers better hands down. 

You probably would have disliked the computers back in the day that you had to type in commands for them to work.  They weren't like today's computers where we just click on thumbnails of a program and it opens.  True, I can't carry around my desktop to do that stuff, but if I want that stuff I can still have access to it.  There are stand alone navigation devices and some cars come with built in navigation devices now.  They still make cameras.  A camera gives you more flexibility when you take pictures than a smartphone (e.g. cameras take better low light pics and have faster shutter speeds).  If one minds carrying around different devices, then a smartphone would be best for them, but there are other options.

cd /2010s/Re\ Do\ any\ of\ you\ like\ computers\ more\ than\ smartphones?
ls
rm your_post.txt
(just kidding!)
mv ~/Corbeille/your_post.txt ~/2010s/Re\ Do\ any\ of\ you\ like\ computers\ more\ than\ smartphones?/your_post.txt

I love the command line interface! Hey, just because I'm young doesn't mean I can't be a computer geek ;D

I was mostly adding on to my first post in this thread: that a smartphone can do a lot of things that computers can't, so I enjoy both and prefer to have both in my life :)

You're absolutely correct about other devices being able to replace a smartphone. You're right too that those devices usually do a better job at it than smartphones.  I think smartphones do a good job at these for most the general population, though. So it's convenient to have. Like a Swiss army life!

Also, if you're on Android and know a bit of programming, you can truly do things on it that only smartphones can do. Smartphones as well computers are both fascinating devices all around.  :D

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/12/16 at 7:23 pm

You probably would have disliked the computers back in the day that you had to type in commands for them to work.  They weren't like today's computers where we just click on thumbnails of a program and it opens. True, I can't carry around my desktop to do that stuff, but if I want that stuff I can still have access to it.  There are stand alone navigation devices and some cars come with built in navigation devices now.  They still make cameras.  A camera gives you more flexibility when you take pictures than a smartphone (e.g. cameras take better low light pics and have faster shutter speeds).  If one minds carrying around different devices, then a smartphone would be best for them, but there are other options.

I don't think anybody had to deal with computers which ran something like MS-DOS since the mid 90s at least. Even as a person who grew up with Windows ME, XP, and Vista, it didn't really require a lot of stuff that DOS users would remember vividly. At least to my perspective.

Written By: Howard on 12/13/16 at 7:37 am

I had the same feeling with smartphones as well. Whenever I type something on my phone, they're usually annoying since the keyboard is laggy.

This is why I prefer a regular computer.

Written By: d90 on 12/13/16 at 9:59 am

Something that has been caught on my mind for a long time is why do teens find smartphones to be better than computers. Personally, I find computers to be better than any cell phone. They're faster than phones, along with having a lot more storage. So what do you guys think?

The biggest advantage smartphones have over computers is portability. You can use them while lying in bed. Desktop computers you have to sit at a desk to us.and laptops are bigger than smartphones. This is probably a reason why teens prefer using smartphones more.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/13/16 at 10:39 am

The biggest advantage smartphones have over computers is portability. You can use them while lying in bed. Desktop computers you have to sit at a desk to us.and laptops are bigger than smartphones. This is probably a reason why teens prefer using smartphones more.

Yeah, but they're a pain in the ass to use and they don't have a good amount of storage.

Written By: 2001 on 12/13/16 at 10:48 am

Yeah, but they're a pain in the ass to use and they don't have a good amount of storage.

I'm posting from mobile atm, ain't too bad. The typing is only cumbersome if I have to add links or images, copy, paste. But general straight typing isn't that difficult. I use SwiftKey keyboard FWIW. 

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/13/16 at 10:57 am

I'm posting from mobile atm, ain't too bad. The typing is only cumbersome if I have to add links or images, copy, paste. But general straight typing isn't that difficult. I use SwiftKey keyboard FWIW.

Well for me, it's a pain since you have to upgrade every time your phone is old or outdated, which happens in a couple years. But I'm okay with using the original Apple keyboard, even though I don't like it that much. I think it depends if you enjoy using smartphones or not.

Written By: 2001 on 12/13/16 at 1:12 pm

Well for me, it's a pain since you have to upgrade every time your phone is old or outdated, which happens in a couple years. But I'm okay with using the original Apple keyboard, even though I don't like it that much. I think it depends if you enjoy using smartphones or not.

Phones have been really stagnant for the past few years to be honest. Phones from 2014 still hold their weight against phones of 2016/2017. The spec bump is negligible, and a lot of features that were common a few years ago, like SD cards, replaceable battery, wireless charging, waterproofing, and headphone jacks have actually been taken out of recent phones. I'm happy with my 2014 Note 4 tbh, I can't imagine me upgrading for another 2 years or so, maybe in 2018/2019.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/13/16 at 2:53 pm

I prefer the computer, but you cannot carry one around in your pocket.

Written By: Howard on 12/13/16 at 3:02 pm

I prefer the computer, but you cannot carry one around in your pocket.

same here, I prefer the comfort of my own home.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/13/16 at 3:12 pm

Phones have been really stagnant for the past few years to be honest. Phones from 2014 still hold their weight against phones of 2016/2017. The spec bump is negligible, and a lot of features that were common a few years ago, like SD cards, replaceable battery, wireless charging, waterproofing, and headphone jacks have actually been taken out of recent phones. I'm happy with my 2014 Note 4 tbh, I can't imagine me upgrading for another 2 years or so, maybe in 2018/2019.

Which is why I would rather get an older model of the iPhone (6 or 6 Plus, if you ask me) when I upgrade. Getting the iPhone 7 would be terrible, since I love using the headphone jack. I also consider it to be an important feature for any smartphone.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 12/13/16 at 9:18 pm

Yes, because they are more useful than smartphones. Yeah, but it's easy to hop on one to do simple things, but it when comes to school, work and vocational things, PCs are the way to go.

Written By: d90 on 12/13/16 at 9:29 pm

That's true it reminds me of the storage capacity computer hardrives had in the mid and late 90s. :(

Written By: 2001 on 12/13/16 at 10:14 pm

That's true it reminds me of the storage capacity computer hardrives had in the mid and late 90s. :(

How much storage does your phone have?

Written By: d90 on 12/13/16 at 11:31 pm

9gb

Written By: Slim95 on 12/14/16 at 12:10 am

I do prefer Windows PCs over Android/ios smartphones. But smartphones have their place too and I like them as well. I really use both of them a lot but in the end of the day I like coming back to my laptop the most, it gives me a sense of comfort and a nice enviornment. But remember smartphones are computers too.

Written By: Slim95 on 12/14/16 at 12:11 am

I agree. They have been stagnant since 2014-2015. I wish it would move faster and we would get more cool new features. I've noticed companies are taking things away rather than putting in new things. The removal of the headphone jack is one of the dumbest things I've ever seen from any tech company.

Written By: Slim95 on 12/14/16 at 12:15 am

Tablets have always been useless to me. Now smartwatches are useless to me too. And I agree with your table/stove analogy.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/14/16 at 4:55 am

Tablets have always been useless to me. Now smartwatches are useless to me too. And I agree with your table/stove analogy.
My tablet does its necessary job at the moment.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/14/16 at 5:43 am

8GB for me (on the current phone I'm using now).

Written By: Howard on 12/14/16 at 8:45 am

There's also smart tv's.

Written By: Slim95 on 12/14/16 at 11:43 am

There's also smart tv's.

I have one of those but I barely use it.

Written By: 2001 on 12/14/16 at 10:52 pm

What do you use it for?

I wanted to get a Pebble, but FitBit bought them out and threw them out of business.  :\'( I want a smartwatch for nerds.

There's also smart tv's.

I have a Chromecast, which turns my regular TV into a semi-smart TV.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/14/16 at 10:57 pm

What do you use it for?
I use it for contact with the folks back home, to check emails, catch up on the news, play online games, and of course to post on these boards.

Also, it is handy to carry around.

Written By: karen on 12/15/16 at 11:33 am

Yes

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/15/16 at 1:52 pm

What do you use it for?
There is one big disadvantage, I have to be online to work on any of my documents, so when my Internet is down there is nothing I can do.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/15/16 at 1:52 pm

Yes
I do long for my computer back home.

Written By: Howard on 12/15/16 at 2:24 pm

There is one big disadvantage, I have to be online to work on any of my documents, so when my Internet is down there is nothing I can do.

Is there anyone else's computer that you can use? ???

Written By: 2001 on 12/15/16 at 2:24 pm

Oh. Does your Internet go down because of power outages?

Written By: Howard on 12/15/16 at 3:06 pm

Oh. Does your Internet go down because of power outages?

My internet sometimes go down because of outages.

Written By: 2001 on 12/15/16 at 3:10 pm

My internet sometimes go down because of outages.

I have unlimited data on my phone for such occasions ;D

Smartphones 1 - Computers 0. :P

Written By: Slim95 on 12/15/16 at 4:20 pm

People get it through your heads, smartphones are computers!  :P

Written By: 2001 on 12/15/16 at 5:34 pm

People get it through your heads, smartphones are computers!  :P

A "humans are animals too" tea.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/15/16 at 5:47 pm

I have unlimited data on my phone for such occasions ;D

Smartphones 1 - Computers 0. :P

Even though it's not great if it doesn't have any service nearby.

Computers 1 - Smartphones 1.  :P

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 12/15/16 at 5:49 pm

Smartphones aren't good for typing up assignments either!

Computers 2 - Smartphones 1. :P

Written By: Slim95 on 12/15/16 at 6:47 pm

A "humans are animals too" tea.

Computers are machines that processes data (a machine that computes). That's exactly what smartphones do. So they are computers too. I guess it's better to call it "traditional computers" or "desktop computers".

Written By: wixness on 12/15/16 at 8:14 pm

Sorry for my late response, but hell yeah. Phones can't run my favourite games that can only run on PC, and writing text walls is a bit difficult with phones.

Written By: 2001 on 12/15/16 at 8:16 pm

Computers don't get Internet on the bus.

Smartphones 2 - Computers 2. :P

Written By: 2001 on 12/15/16 at 8:17 pm

Computers are machines that processes data (a machine that computes). That's exactly what smartphones do. So they are computers too. I guess it's better to call it "traditional computers" or "desktop computers".

You can't even call a computer a computer.

Smartphones 3 - Computers 2. :P

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/15/16 at 8:32 pm

Sorry for my late response, but hell yeah. Phones can't run my favourite games that can only run on PC, and writing text walls is a bit difficult with phones.

I don't think phones could ever play PC games. Even when I play with games from GTA, the controls are crap and it's unstable as hell.

Unless it was a laptop, which has the portability of a smartphone, but has better battery life and you could easily type on them.

Computers 3 - Smartphones 3. :P

Written By: 2001 on 12/15/16 at 9:10 pm

Unless it was a laptop, which has the portability of a smartphone, but has better battery life and you could easily type on them.

Computers 3 - Smartphones 3. :P

Are 4G LTE-enabled laptops common?  ???

Written By: Slim95 on 12/15/16 at 9:31 pm

Are 4G LTE-enabled laptops common?  ???

Yeah I use the internet on the bus from my laptop by teethering the lte data from my phone onto the laptop.

Written By: 2001 on 12/15/16 at 9:32 pm

Yeah I use the internet on the bus from my laptop by teethering the lte data from my phone onto the laptop.

Smartphones 4 - Traditional computers 3.  :D

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 12/15/16 at 9:53 pm

You could, if you owned a pre-paid Internet modem. :P

Computers 4 - Smartphones 4

Written By: Howard on 12/16/16 at 7:39 am

and it can't print either.

Written By: Howard on 12/16/16 at 7:40 am

Why can't you wait till you get home? ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/16/16 at 7:46 am

Sometimes you need the information there and then!

Written By: Slim95 on 12/16/16 at 11:52 am

It's usually when I need to finish school work on send some emails attaching work from my laptop when I'm on the bus.

Written By: wixness on 12/16/16 at 12:35 pm

Since our country's PM hates freedom, I decided to make this channel:

If you guys want to talk on Telegram, I have a link here: https://telegram.me/joinchat/EqF_FD6idHE9D3JB3Y-w1g

You guys probably only have until 2017 to join or something

Written By: Howard on 12/16/16 at 1:10 pm

It's usually when I need to finish school work on send some emails attaching work from my laptop when I'm on the bus.

Do you get legroom on the bus to use the laptop?

Written By: Slim95 on 12/16/16 at 1:11 pm

Do you get legroom on the bus to use the laptop?

Yeah I get just enough legroom.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/16/16 at 1:33 pm

You could, if you owned a pre-paid Internet modem. :P

Computers 4 - Smartphones 4

Along with having little to no problems, since you could only access your phone's Internet if it's on 3G or LTE.

Computers 5 - Smartphones 4. :P

Written By: Howard on 12/16/16 at 1:41 pm

Yeah I get just enough legroom.

Is it small and compact?

Written By: Slim95 on 12/16/16 at 2:16 pm

Is it small and compact?

Yeah it is

Written By: 2001 on 12/16/16 at 2:44 pm

Along with having little to no problems, since you could only access your phone's Internet if it's on 3G or LTE.

Computers 5 - Smartphones 4. :P

It's the same for the computer. ???

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/16/16 at 4:39 pm

It's the same for the computer. ???

Yeah, but at least their connection with wi-fi is more secure than your average phone.

Written By: KatanaChick on 12/17/16 at 12:01 pm

A phone is convenient if you want to mess around on social media or Google random things when you're bored in bed or traveling. I prefer the computer because of the larger screen that makes reading easy and not having to hold anything in my hand awkwardly. Yes, I've dropped my phone on my face a time or two.  :D Plus I can go on YouTube on the computer as long as I want to listen to the music I love to hear and if I want to watch a movie on the computer, the screen is a sufficient size to clearly see.

Written By: SpyroKev on 12/17/16 at 12:42 pm

So easily, the comparison is a joke to me. I'm a mouse user till the end of my existence. The computer is just too comfortable. I had to resort to using the internet through smartphone recent and the experience made me feel stiff.

People that use smartphones for internet, I still don't understand. I solute their patience though.

Written By: wixness on 12/17/16 at 1:05 pm

So easily, the comparison is a joke to me. I'm a mouse user till the end of my existence. The computer is just too comfortable. I had to resort to using the internet through smartphone recent and the experience made me feel stiff.

People that use smartphones for internet, I still don't understand. I solute their patience though.

My parents are somewhat digitally illiterate, so to them, iPhones are more convenient for going on the web on than the computer is. Then again, the laptop they have is pretty awful since they cheaped out on it; it's got a horrible trackpad so we got a mouse for it, it is somewhat slow, it can only be used by one person at a time and their phones last longer on a single charge than it. My dad does use the laptop a bit more than my mother does.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/17/16 at 1:13 pm

Same here. There are already a lot of risks that you could put for your smartphone. Like, if you're in the bathroom and you accidentally dropped it into the toilet, you better have dry rice or that phone is f*cked. Sure, it could be the same with a laptop, but who the hell uses their laptop while taking a crap in the bathroom?

I only use it while I'm outside, since there's nothing else I could use in case I need to do something within an emergency.

Written By: 2001 on 12/17/16 at 1:20 pm

Yeah, but at least their connection with wi-fi is more secure than your average phone.

I'm not sure that's true. ???

A phone is convenient if you want to mess around on social media or Google random things when you're bored in bed or traveling. I prefer the computer because of the larger screen that makes reading easy and not having to hold anything in my hand awkwardly. Yes, I've dropped my phone on my face a time or two.  :D Plus I can go on YouTube on the computer as long as I want to listen to the music I love to hear and if I want to watch a movie on the computer, the screen is a sufficient size to clearly see.

I've dropped the phone on my face countless times ;D

Same here. There are already a lot of risks that you could put for your smartphone. Like, if you're in the bathroom and you accidentally dropped it into the toilet, you better have dry rice or that phone is f*cked. Sure, it could be the same with a laptop, but who the hell uses their laptop while taking a crap in the bathroom?

I only use it while I'm outside, since there's nothing else I could use in case I need to do something within an emergency.

My mom is the same. She's scared of computers, always has been. The iPad/her smartphone are a lot easier for her for browsing Internet/social media, so she uses those mostly.

Written By: Howard on 12/17/16 at 1:21 pm

Some people actually have taken their phones with them while using the toilet doing their business.  ::)

Written By: 2001 on 12/17/16 at 1:23 pm

Some people actually have taken their phones with them while using the toilet doing their business.  ::)

A good phone should be waterproof lol.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/17/16 at 1:27 pm

I'm not sure that's true. ???

Well, if it's a weak connection, then I don't think it would be great for a computer. Especially if it's your smartphone's Internet, it may not be as great.

My mom is the same. She's scared of computers, always has been. The iPad/her smartphone are a lot easier for her for browsing Internet/social media, so she uses those mostly.

Does she still believe that computers took over the world when 2000 hit?

Written By: Slim95 on 12/17/16 at 1:58 pm

I don't know what I would do without either one. Smartphones are an awesome tool too. I usually surf the web, check emails, go on this forum on my smartphone. But I usually watch videos, do school work, do real work on my PC (tablet/laptop hybrid).

Written By: Howard on 12/17/16 at 2:02 pm

A good phone should be waterproof lol.

Well, that's their problem, some people are just stupid enough to do that. ::)

Written By: Howard on 12/17/16 at 2:03 pm

I don't know what I would do without either one. Smartphones are an awesome tool too. I usually surf the web, check emails, go on this forum on my smartphone. But I usually watch videos, do school work, do real work on my PC (tablet/laptop hybrid).

Do you take yours into the bathroom?

Written By: 2001 on 12/17/16 at 2:17 pm

Well, if it's a weak connection, then I don't think it would be great for a computer. Especially if it's your smartphone's Internet, it may not be as great.

Does she still believe that computers took over the world when 2000 hit?

In my experience, my phone is better at maintaining a stable Wi-fi connection than my laptop.

Same. I do productive things on my phone too, such as reviewing my flashcards, or studying French by reading world or gaming news on the go. It's also my portable MP3 player for music, podcasts and audiobooks. Both have made huge benefits to my life.

Well, that's their problem, some people are just stupid enough to do that. ::)

Well, I don't see what's "stupid" about it. If you're going to be in the washroom for 10 minutes doing your business anyway, may as well do something other than stare into space :o

Written By: Slim95 on 12/17/16 at 2:29 pm

Do you take yours into the bathroom?

I usually always have my phone with me. Even in the shower because it is waterproof.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/17/16 at 2:39 pm

In my experience, my phone is better at maintaining a stable Wi-fi connection than my laptop.

Either Canada has better smartphones or you just thought that up to make computers look bad.

Written By: Slim95 on 12/17/16 at 3:07 pm

Either Canada has better smartphones or you just thought that up to make computers look bad.

Smartphones are the same everywhere unless you go to Asia and you get those specialty phones by Huaweii and Xiaomi. In my experience, I found the Wi-Fi connection to be more often the same with all my devices. It's really machine-specific depending on how strong your antenna is and how strong your Wi-Fi signal is on your respective device. So tie for both in this case.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/17/16 at 3:19 pm

Smartphones are the same everywhere unless you go to Asia and you get those specialty phones by Huaweii and Xiaomi. In my experience, I found the Wi-Fi connection to be more often the same with all my devices. It's really machine-specific depending on how strong your antenna is and how strong your Wi-Fi signal is on your respective device. So tie for both in this case.

Or Slowpoke basically has different services in Ontario.

Written By: 2001 on 12/17/16 at 3:45 pm

Or Slowpoke basically has different services in Ontario.

My smartphone is a Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and my laptop is a Macbook Air 2015. They're both available internationally.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/17/16 at 5:17 pm

My smartphone is a Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and my laptop is a Macbook Air 2015. They're both available internationally.

I meant different phone services, like Verizon or Sprint in America.

Written By: mqg96 on 12/17/16 at 6:56 pm

Hopefully your Samsung Galaxy doesn't....

https://media.giphy.com/media/HhTXt43pk1I1W/giphy.gif

Written By: 80sfan on 12/17/16 at 7:31 pm

;D

Written By: 2001 on 12/17/16 at 7:32 pm

I meant different phone services, like Verizon or Sprint in America.

Hmm, I was talking about Wi-Fi, which is the same network regardless of your service provider :P

;D That's the Note 7 from this year. The Note 4 is from 2014.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/18/16 at 1:58 pm

Hmm, I was talking about Wi-Fi, which is the same network regardless of your service provider :P

Except Wi-Fi is more faster than the average smartphone's connection.

Written By: 2001 on 12/18/16 at 2:03 pm

Except Wi-Fi is more faster than the average smartphone's connection.

The Wi-fi is the smartphone's Internet connection. :o

I think we're going in circles, lol.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/18/16 at 2:09 pm

The Wi-fi is the smartphone's Internet connection. :o

I think we're going in circles, lol.

Except that it's not provided by a phone service provider like Verizon, Sprint, AT&T, T-Mobile, or whatever you have in Canada.

Written By: 2001 on 12/18/16 at 2:19 pm

Except that it's not provided by a phone service provider like Verizon, Sprint, AT&T, T-Mobile, or whatever you have in Canada.

There's two main ways to connect to the Internet through your smartphone. There's the network connection (4G LTE/3G) that's tied to your SIM card, only the phone can access it, not your laptop (except through tethering). Then there's the Wi-fi, which both a computer and a smartphone have equal access to. I don't see how a smartphone loses out here  ???

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/18/16 at 2:22 pm

I don't see how a smartphone loses out here  ???

I guess I was thinking about a network connection through my computer.

Written By: Howard on 12/18/16 at 2:56 pm

I usually always have my phone with me. Even in the shower because it is waterproof.

Who's gonna call you in the shower? ::)

Written By: 2001 on 12/18/16 at 3:04 pm

Maybe some Face Time or video calls? :o

Written By: Slim95 on 12/18/16 at 3:10 pm

I guess I was thinking about a network connection through my computer.

You can connect to Wi-Fi on the phone the same way you can connect to Wi-Fi on a computer. Desktop PCs can connect to ethernet cables which sometimes tend to be faster than Wi-Fi. However these days there really is no difference in speed.

Written By: Slim95 on 12/18/16 at 3:11 pm

Haha you never know. Maybe some hot girl will call me.  ;)  ;D

Written By: Howard on 12/18/16 at 3:52 pm

Maybe some Face Time or video calls? :o

while you're buttnaked?  ::)
wait till you get out the shower.

Written By: Howard on 12/18/16 at 3:53 pm

Haha you never know. Maybe some hot girl will call me.  ;)  ;D

can't you wait till you wrap your towel on you?

Written By: 2001 on 12/18/16 at 4:49 pm

while you're buttnaked?  ::)
wait till you get out the shower.

But it's urgent!  ;D

Written By: Howard on 12/19/16 at 2:54 pm

But it's urgent!  ;D

It can wait.

Written By: 2001 on 12/19/16 at 3:46 pm

It can wait.

My hair looks better in the shower  ;D

Written By: wixness on 12/19/16 at 7:00 pm

Smartphones block out some settings and features that you get on PC. One of them is that you can't play PC-only videos on phones especially those that require Flash no thanks to some websites that still run on them and not HTML5, although that's less of an issue these days because lots of people have smartphones so it's impossible to not upload to them and smartphones have effectively become people's primary computers in some cases; Flash is proprietary and is losing popularity because smartphones (or their operating systems) have been designed not to work with them.

I've just been using the Twitch app, and I got quite annoyed by how I can't view the chat replay when I'm watching past streams on it on my phone compared to PC.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/19/16 at 7:16 pm

Smartphones block out some settings and features that you get on PC. One of them is that you can't play PC-only videos on phones especially those that require Flash.

Yeah, that's a pain in the ass that I can't stand on smartphones.

Written By: Slim95 on 12/19/16 at 7:44 pm

I can connect my Galaxy S7 to my VR headset and have virtual reality for less than $200.

Smartphone +1 point

Written By: 2001 on 12/19/16 at 8:10 pm

I can connect my Galaxy S7 to my VR headset and have virtual reality for less than $200.

Smartphone +1 point

Do you use it often?

Written By: Slim95 on 12/19/16 at 8:12 pm

Do you use it often?

Yeah I do it's a lot of fun.

Written By: 2001 on 12/19/16 at 8:14 pm

Yeah I do it's a lot of fun.

*cough* *cough* What do you do on it? ;D

Written By: Slim95 on 12/19/16 at 10:17 pm

*cough* *cough* What do you do on it? ;D

Lots of stuff.  ;D

Written By: 2001 on 12/19/16 at 10:19 pm

Lots of stuff.  ;D

;D ;D ;D Interesting.

Written By: Howard on 12/20/16 at 2:54 pm

Lots of stuff.  ;D

What "stuff"? porn? ;)

Written By: Slim95 on 12/20/16 at 3:08 pm

What "stuff"? porn? ;)

That's one of them lol

Written By: Howard on 12/20/16 at 3:46 pm

That's one of them lol

How'd I guess.  ::)

Written By: Catherine91UK on 12/22/16 at 8:01 am

I still don't have smartphone, but I have an iPod Touch, a flip phone and a laptop, so that's all I really need!

Written By: wixness on 12/22/16 at 12:35 pm

I still don't have smartphone, but I have an iPod Touch, a flip phone and a laptop, so that's all I really need!

Even the flip phones have better games than on smartphones. I still need a smartphone in case I miss out on something important, namely, emails.

Written By: 2001 on 12/22/16 at 12:49 pm

Even the flip phones have better games than on smartphones. I still need a smartphone in case I miss out on something important, namely, emails.

Flip phones can get and reply to emails too.

Written By: wixness on 12/22/16 at 1:19 pm

I need a few extra apps as well, and most flip phones don't have a Wi-Fi connection.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/22/16 at 1:23 pm

I need a few extra apps as well, and most flip phones don't have a Wi-Fi connection.

Just because a flip phone could do those things, that doesn't make it look better. They're just cell phones. It's not like they could do a lot compared to computers.

Computers >> smartphones > flip phones

Written By: ArcticFox on 12/22/16 at 2:30 pm

I do prefer computers over smartphones, but they do have their purposes.

Written By: Howard on 12/22/16 at 2:43 pm

and you can text too.

Written By: 2001 on 12/22/16 at 4:39 pm

There are flip phones out there with Wi-fi and 2G/3G/4G nowadays, though they probably don't have those apps.

Written By: Slim95 on 12/22/16 at 4:56 pm

There are flip phones out there with Wi-fi and 2G/3G/4G nowadays, though they probably don't have those apps.

Those are rare though. Most flip phones don't have any internet.

Written By: 2001 on 12/22/16 at 5:19 pm

Well, that doesn't sound like a reason to not buy one, if one genuinely believes flip phones are better than smartphones :P They're "rare" but not difficult to obtain.

Written By: Howard on 12/23/16 at 7:28 am

some do but you have to pay for them.

Written By: Catherine91UK on 12/26/16 at 9:50 am

My flip phone has an internet browser (with a 2G connection) but I rarely use it.

Written By: Rainbowz on 09/13/17 at 8:49 pm

It depends on what it's for.
I usually use my smartphone more because it's convenient, I can take some pictures, text my friends where ever I go, etc. But sometimes a computer is better when it comes to playing games and it's easier to type.

Written By: annimal on 09/13/17 at 9:03 pm

I hate my phone because it's a touch phone and I often end up touching all the wrong stuff.  I do use it to take pictures  instead of my camera these days.  I also use it to check my e.mail so I wont have to sign on with my computer.  If I paid and got it all set up I could go online,but I'll never be able to go anywhere with the touch pad.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/13/17 at 9:10 pm

Another classic 2016 thread. As I think I've mentioned before, I love having both and wouldn't want to give up either one.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/14/17 at 12:28 am

I hate my phone because it's a touch phone and I often end up touching all the wrong stuff.  I do use it to take pictures  instead of my camera these days.  I also use it to check my e.mail so I wont have to sign on with my computer.  If I paid and got it all set up I could go online,but I'll never be able to go anywhere with the touch pad.
I am the same with the phone, but at the moment I do not have one, but sometimes it seems my fingertip is too large to click on something. Right now, I prefer the computer.

Subject: Do any of you like computers more than smartphones?

Written By: Dude111 on 09/14/17 at 2:59 am

Something that has been caught on my mind for a long time is why do teens find smartphones to be better than computers.

I know what ya mean.....They dont care about thier privacy....... HAVING EVERYTHING THEY DO TRACKED..... I dont have or want one!!!

Written By: annimal on 09/14/17 at 10:22 am

I am the same with the phone, but at the moment I do not have one, but sometimes it seems my fingertip is too large to click on something. Right now, I prefer the computer.

I cant type om the phone

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/14/17 at 12:05 pm

I cant type om the phone
I keep hitting the wrong letter on the keypad, in one sense that goodness for auto-text.

Written By: Howard on 09/14/17 at 2:53 pm

Me too.

Written By: happyflower20 on 09/14/17 at 3:04 pm

PHONE!!!

Check for new replies or respond here...