inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Mozart beat out Beyoncé, Kanye and Drake for most CDs sold in 2016

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/14/16 at 8:38 am

It's not hard to pinpoint some of the biggest artist names of 2016. There's Drake, Beyonce, Justin Bieber, Adele, and Kanye West. But what about Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart.

The classical musician died over 200 years ago, yet his CD was the best-selling composition of 2016, according to Billboard.

In five weeks, 1.25 million copies of Mozart 225: The New Complete Edition have sold.

But there's a catch.

The collection actually includes every single composition written by the musician in 200 CDs, running over 240 hours. So technically, only 6,250 box sets have sold in total, Billboard reports.

Even still, the cohesive work is nothing to brush off. Universal Music Group, who spearheaded the 18-month long project, called it "the most scholarly box devoted to a single composer."

Not too bad for a man who wasn't known for singing or dancing - and who never knew what the internet could do for his masterpieces.

http://www.wfaa.com/entertainment/music/mozart-beat-out-beyonc-kanye-and-drake-for-most-cds-sold-in-2016/368681731

Subject: Re: Mozart beat out Beyoncé, Kanye and Drake for most CDs sold in 2016

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/14/16 at 10:21 am

I guess listening to classical music is WAY better than pop music to these people. I wish I can hang out with them, or at least add them on my social media.

Written By: 2001 on 12/14/16 at 5:23 pm

Hidden within the article is the revelation that the real queen of the year is Beyoncé!

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/14/16 at 5:26 pm

Hidden within the article is the revelation that the real queen of the year is Beyoncé!

No. Mozart kicked ass.  8)

Written By: 2001 on 12/14/16 at 5:29 pm

No. Mozart kicked ass.  8)

This is like saying Final Fantasy 13 was the best selling game of 7th Gen because it was on three discs and it counts as three sales. Mess! FF13 kicked no asses except maybe 12 year old Vanille's when the camera went upskirt on her. Eek!!!

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/14/16 at 5:33 pm

This is like saying Final Fantasy 13 was the best selling game of 7th Gen because it was on three discs and it counts as three sales. Mess! FF13 kicked no asses except maybe 12 year old Vanille's when the camera went upskirt on her. Eek!!!

If there was any game that should've been the best selling game of 7th gen, it should've been New Super Mario Bros. Really kick ass game, along with a great align of levels.

Written By: 2001 on 12/14/16 at 5:35 pm

If there wasn't any game that should've been the best selling game of 7th gen, it should've been New Super Mario Bros. Really kick ass game, along with a great align of levels.

NSMB can have the crown as long as you give the crown to our queen Beyoncé.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/14/16 at 5:39 pm

NSMB can have the crown as long as you give the crown to our queen Beyoncé.

The only crown she needs is for being in Destiny's Child, along with performing "All The Single Ladies" in 2009.

Written By: 2001 on 12/14/16 at 5:43 pm

The only crown she needs is for being in Destiny's Child, along with performing "All The Single Ladies" in 2009.

And for bringing the best album of 2016! See you at the Grammies.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/14/16 at 5:49 pm

And for bringing the best album of 2016! See you at the Grammies.

If anybody has the best album of 2016, it's Adele. She's the true queen of the 2010s.  8)

Written By: 80sfan on 12/14/16 at 6:05 pm

If anybody has the best album of 2016, it's Adele. She's the true queen of the 2010s.  8)

Adele sells huge numbers!

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 12/14/16 at 7:21 pm

Nice to see people still appreciate good music.

Written By: 2001 on 12/14/16 at 7:44 pm

Best lullaby maybe. 😪😪

Written By: JordanK1982 on 12/14/16 at 10:28 pm

The real star of the 2010's is Pitbull. He is pure class. 8)

Written By: 2001 on 12/14/16 at 10:37 pm

Flo Rida >>>

Written By: JordanK1982 on 12/14/16 at 10:39 pm

Flo Rida >>>

Flo Rida is pure trash. I don't think anyone nowadays amounts to the pure class Pitbull had been bringing to the table. I mean, look at the man!

http://www.thedailycrate.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Blog-2014-Pitbull-Rapper-Wallpaper-Photos.png

Pure class! Sharply dressed in a nicely pressed wrinkle-free suit and a glass of wine on his fancy yacht. Pitbull is a rare act in today's cultural climate. The man has style, finesse. Flo Rida is for the bargin bin.

Written By: 2001 on 12/14/16 at 10:46 pm

Flo Rida is pure trash. I don't think anyone nowadays amounts to the pure class Pitbull had been bringing to the table. I mean, look at the man!

http://www.thedailycrate.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Blog-2014-Pitbull-Rapper-Wallpaper-Photos.png

Pure class! Sharply dressed in a nicely pressed wrinkle-free suit and a glass of wine on his fancy yacht. Pitbull is a rare act in today's cultural climate. The man has style, finesse. Flo Rida is for the bargin bin.

http://i.imgur.com/uqZBm6v.gif

We are talking about B-tier rappers not Celine Dion's next husband

Written By: JordanK1982 on 12/14/16 at 10:48 pm

We are talking about B-tier rappers not Celine Dion's next husband

You think he's a B-list rapper? What are you talking about? Pitbull is the only modern artist I like! The man is class personified. Whenever his songs come on the radio, I don't skip. When he says "MISTAH WORLDWYDEE!" I know to keep it on the station. Well, at least during the parts he sings.

First he was Miztah 305 but he ain't a one territory kinda guy. A man of such class has gotta be known worldwide sooner or later and what do you know! Now he is Mistah Worldwyde!

Written By: 2001 on 12/14/16 at 10:57 pm

You think he's a B-list rapper? What are you talking about? Pitbull is the only modern artist I like! The man is class personified. Whenever his songs come on the radio, I don't skip. When he says "MISTAH WORLDWYDEE!" I know to keep it on the station. Well, at least during the parts he sings.

First he was Miztah 305 but he ain't a one territory kinda guy. A man of such class has gotta be known worldwide sooner or later and what do you know! Now he is Mistah Worldwyde!

What radio station are you listening to where they still play his songs? He hasn't been relevant since like 2012 :o

Written By: JordanK1982 on 12/14/16 at 11:01 pm

What radio station are you listening to where they still play his songs? He hasn't been relevant since like 2012 :o

Mix 106.5 obviously. 8) Tonight they just played "Give Me Everything" but that other rapper Ne-Yo ruined the god damn song!!! >:(

You're behind the times. Pitbull is a top artist right now and you wanna know why? Because people are tired of the same old BS being pumped down our throats. We want something new! Pitbull is bringing the class back to society.

Written By: 2001 on 12/14/16 at 11:08 pm

Mix 106.5 obviously. 8) Tonight they just played "Give Me Everything" but that other rapper Ne-Yo ruined the god damn song!!! >:(

You're behind the times. Pitbull is a top artist right now and you wanna know why? Because people are tired of the same old BS being pumped down our throats. We want something new! Pitbull is bringing the class back to society.

He's not even the best white rapper. That would be Iggy Azalea.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 12/14/16 at 11:10 pm

Good lord are you on crack? Honestly, Pitbull isn't just a rapper. He's a singer, dancer, ladies man and entrepreneur, too. He also speaks a lot of Spanish because he's an educated man. Fancy nights with a nice glass of wine; Pitbull's way. 8)

Iggy Azalea? She's trash! Pitbull is real music.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/14/16 at 11:27 pm

Who's Iggy Azalea?  :-X  :-X

Written By: 80sfan on 12/15/16 at 1:56 am

http://www.breatheheavy.com/exhale/home/breatheh/public_html//exhale/uploads/emoticons/byebitch.gif

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/15/16 at 6:56 am

Pitbull caused me to dislike this decade's music, so no.

Written By: Howard on 12/15/16 at 7:31 am

http://imb.ulximg.com/image/src/artist/1393279974_8b1fff597e4a31d43d3b51fa96a01c25.jpg/dde35fd98bb395cb92a88ee0c2fe8a29/1393279974_iggy_azalea_highsnobiety_007_17.jpg

Written By: 2001 on 12/15/16 at 1:18 pm

You're behind the times. Pitbull is a top artist right now and you wanna know why? Because people are tired of the same old BS being pumped down our throats. We want something new!

And so you listen to songs from 2011?

Bruh...

http://www.breatheheavy.com/exhale/home/breatheh/public_html//exhale/uploads/emoticons/byebitch.gif

Written By: JordanK1982 on 12/15/16 at 11:14 pm

And so you listen to songs from 2011?

Pitbull has new smash hits in 2016, too. I can't wait to buy his new CD Climate Change when it comes out. Ooooh boy!!! Too much class. 8)

http://imb.ulximg.com/image/src/artist/1393279974_8b1fff597e4a31d43d3b51fa96a01c25.jpg/dde35fd98bb395cb92a88ee0c2fe8a29/1393279974_iggy_azalea_highsnobiety_007_17.jpg

What trash! >:(

Written By: Slim95 on 12/16/16 at 12:27 am

Well at least one positive thing happened in 2016.  :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/16/16 at 3:53 am

Yes, Mozart is on top!

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/16/16 at 5:40 am

You don't know what Iggy did in the early and mid 2000s. lol

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/16/16 at 7:13 am

Yes, Mozart is on top!
...but where was Beethoven?

Written By: Howard on 12/16/16 at 7:32 am

Pitbull has new smash hits in 2016, too. I can't wait to buy his new CD Climate Change when it comes out. Ooooh boy!!! Too much class. 8)

So she's not your cup of tea?

Written By: 2001 on 12/16/16 at 6:53 pm

Tu es très déplorable.  >:(

Written By: JordanK1982 on 12/16/16 at 6:57 pm

You don't know what Iggy did in the early and mid 2000s. lol

Probably being trashy. I don't like that era of Pitbull, either. He was too trashy and going with the trends but I can understand that he was a young man trying to find himself. In 2007, when the Boatlift came out, Pitbull finally came into his own and became a classy man.

Tu es très déplorable.  >:(

I agree. The best things to come out of 2016 are Pitbull's newest hits. I'm glad he's back with another album but I'm a little upset Climate Change has been delayed 'til 2017. How much longer do I have to wait. :\'(

Written By: 2001 on 12/16/16 at 7:01 pm

Probably being trashy. I don't like that era of Pitbull, either. He was too trashy and going with the trends but I can understand that he was a young man trying to find himself. In 2007, when the Boatlift came out, Pitbull finally came into his own and became a classy man.

I agree. The best things to come out of 2016 are Pitbull's newest hits. I'm glad he's back with another album but I'm a little upset Climate Change has been delayed 'til 2017. How much longer do I have to wait. :\'(

Is that going to be an environmentalist anthem? Because I might be in for it  :o

Written By: JordanK1982 on 12/16/16 at 7:04 pm

Is that going to be an environmentalist anthem? Because I might be in for it  :o

Of course. He's not only a classy guy but he's also very concerned about world issues. Check out his other albums Global Warming and Globalization. He makes the perfect balance between classy, wine drinking get-together songs and serious political/social issues songs.

Written By: Slim95 on 12/16/16 at 7:18 pm

Of course. He's not only a classy guy but he's also very concerned about world issues. Check out his other albums Global Warming and Globalization. He makes the perfect balance between classy, wine drinking get-together songs and serious political/social issues songs.

;D

Written By: 1999 Baby, 2000s Kid on 12/18/16 at 12:23 am

I honestly can't tell if you're joking or not, haha. However, I thought Ne-Yo was the best part of Give Me Everything and he's not a rapper. :(

Written By: gibbo on 12/18/16 at 6:24 am

Now, who would have thought that music that has stood the test of time would beat out throw away music!  ;)

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/18/16 at 7:15 am

Now, who would have thought that music that has stood the test of time would beat out throw away music!  ;)
I was amazed of this when I first saw the article, and then wonder where was Beethoven on the list.

Written By: gibbo on 12/18/16 at 7:46 am

I was amazed of this when I first saw the article, and then wonder where was Beethoven on the list.

;D  I KNEW that would have been your first thought!

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 12/18/16 at 7:47 am

I'm not overly surprised by the result. The target demographic for Beyonce, Kanye and Drake's music are more likely to have downloaded the songs off the internet or streamed it onto their phone, especially if you take into consideration that the target audience would be those under the age of 25. People over the age of 35 would be the main demographic for purchasing CDs from stores.

Written By: Slim95 on 12/18/16 at 10:03 am

I'm not overly surprised by the result. The target demographic for Beyonce, Kanye and Drake's music are more likely to have downloaded the songs off the internet or streamed it onto their phone, especially if you take into consideration that the target audience would be those under the age of 25. People over the age of 35 would be the main demographic for purchasing CDs from stores.

If I'm not mistaken, this takes into account online sales as well.

Written By: 2001 on 12/18/16 at 10:43 am

If I'm not mistaken, this takes into account online sales as well.

No, it's only CD sales. And not just CD sales, but number of CD discs sold, which is an important distinction.

Basically, this was a box set of 200 CDs. 6,250 people bought it. 6250 people * 200 CDs = 1.25 million CDs sold.

Written By: Slim95 on 12/18/16 at 11:16 am

No, it's only CD sales. And not just CD sales, but number of CD discs sold, which is an important distinction.

Basically, this was a box set of 200 CDs. 6,250 people bought it. 6250 people * 200 CDs = 1.25 million CDs sold.

Ah okay well that is more expected but it's still nice to know there are people out there who buy Mozart's records.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 12/18/16 at 6:25 pm

I honestly can't tell if you're joking or not, haha. However, I thought Ne-Yo was the best part of Give Me Everything and he's not a rapper. :(

I'm not joking at all. Pitbull is pure class and my absolute favorite modern artist.

;) :P

Check for new replies or respond here...