inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is Mtv dead in 2016 ?

Written By: the2001 on 12/14/16 at 10:41 am

I know they have Teen Wolf and Cat Fish, but MTV was once was THE source for pop culture and music.
It seems everything they do keeps failing in ratings.

Heck they keep bringing back TRL over and over again and keeps failing.
I like that they focus on real issues but the show keeps failing, mtv not even in the top 10 networks!

-VX5YCxvaDQ

Subject: Re: Is Mtv dead in 2016 ?

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/14/16 at 1:08 pm

Yes, a very long time ago.

Written By: bchris02 on 12/14/16 at 1:33 pm

There really isn't a need for MTV anymore.  Music videos on YouTube replaced it long ago.  Today, it's nothing but trash reality TV and that isn't changing.  I don't think its possible for the channel to return to its 1981-2005 level of popularity.

One of MTV's bedrock strategies is to appeal to the 13-21 age demographic exclusively without trying to retain older viewers.  For instance, if you watched MTV in the '90s or '00s, today's MTV isn't for you.  The question is, is this working?  Do teenagers today still watch MTV?

Written By: Howard on 12/14/16 at 2:55 pm

There really isn't a need for MTV anymore.  Music videos on YouTube replaced it long ago.  Today, it's nothing but trash reality TV and that isn't changing.  I don't think its possible for the channel to return to its 1981-2005 level of popularity.

One of MTV's bedrock strategies is to appeal to the 13-21 age demographic exclusively without trying to retain older viewers.  For instance, if you watched MTV in the '90s or '00s, today's MTV isn't for you.  The question is, is this working?  Do teenagers today still watch MTV?

MTV was great in it's heydays but now with YouTube there's no need for MTV any longer. We're in a new generation now of kids wanting their fix of music videos in 2016.

Written By: violet_shy on 12/14/16 at 3:37 pm

I think MTV has been dead for years.

Written By: mqg96 on 12/14/16 at 3:40 pm

MTV has been dead af for over a decade obviously. We've discussed the obvious on here many times before, so there was no need to start a thread like this when you know music videos have been on Youtube for a long time now. Vevo & Spotify too.

Written By: Zelek3 on 12/14/16 at 3:50 pm

They're a social justice network now.

Rather than playing, y'know, MUSIC, they focus on race-baiting and getting viewers riled up. Much of their content now is segments about how white people suck, or how masculinity is wrong.

Written By: 2001 on 12/14/16 at 5:40 pm

Rather than playing, y'know, MUSIC, they focus on race-baiting and getting viewers riled up. Much of their content now is segments about how white people suck, or how masculinity is wrong.

The voice of our generation 😍

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/14/16 at 5:48 pm

MTV hasn't made any cultural attention for over a decade now. The only thing that they're marketing is godawful reality shows, and nostalgia for shows they had from the 90s and early 2000s.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/14/16 at 5:59 pm

Pretty much.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 12/14/16 at 5:59 pm

I think MTV still serves a purpose, however it should stop focusing solely on reality TV and return to it's roots. Despite YouTube's presence, there are still a lot of people who prefer to listen to music-based channels. I believe there is a market MTV could focus on and if done properly, it could appeal to a much wider age demographic, however it really needs to stop producing/airing reality TV programs. It's clear that these programs are not appealing to a wider audience. I personally don't know anyone who watches the channel.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/14/16 at 6:03 pm

I remember during Jersey Shore it was still relevant. But after that, it went south, ratings-wise, for MTV.

Written By: 2001 on 12/14/16 at 8:12 pm

I remember during Jersey Shore it was still relevant. But after that, it went south, ratings-wise, for MTV.

Ooo, they had Jersey Shore and 16 and Pregnant, Paris's BFF, 1 Girl 5 Gays, America's Next Top Models, and Octomom. That was MTV's golden age.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/14/16 at 8:14 pm

Ooo, they had Jersey Shore and 16 and Pregnant, Paris's BFF, 1 Girl 5 Gays, America's Next Top Models, and Octomom. That was MTV's golden age.

MTV was pretty good at staying relevant for roughly 30 years. It's not as relevant as 4 or 5 years before.

Written By: 2001 on 12/14/16 at 8:18 pm

MTV was pretty good at staying relevant for roughly 30 years. It's not as relevant as 4 or 5 years before.

They need to buy out the Bachelorette, Big Brother, Living With The Kardashians and other reality shows.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/14/16 at 8:24 pm

They need to buy out the Bachelorette, Big Brother, Living With The Kardashians and other reality shows.

Are those new age shows that are considered 'hip'?

Written By: 2001 on 12/14/16 at 8:26 pm

Are those new age shows that are considered 'hip'?

You've never heard of the Bachelorette?! Almost every lady I know talks about it incessantly after each episode. And one of my coworkers who watches everything trash reality.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/14/16 at 8:30 pm

You've never heard of the Bachelorette?! Almost every lady I know talks about it incessantly after each episode. And one of my coworkers who watches everything trash reality.

Isn't it that show where sweaty, muscular, beefy, men, take off their shirts and fill my bedroom with roses and announce me the winner??

Written By: 2001 on 12/14/16 at 8:36 pm

Isn't it that show where sweaty, muscular, beefy, men, take off their shirts and fill my bedroom with roses and announce me the winner??

Yes.  :-[

Written By: 80sfan on 12/14/16 at 8:38 pm

Yes.  :-[

The Kardashians were really entertaining the first few seasons then it got boring in my opinion.

Written By: 2001 on 12/14/16 at 8:43 pm

The Kardashians were really entertaining the first few seasons then it got boring in my opinion.

I haven't watched it but I like reading the replies to Kardashian's tweets whenever she does something controversial and laughing at the crazy haters.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/14/16 at 8:51 pm

I haven't watched it but I like reading the replies to Kardashian's tweets whenever she does something controversial and laughing at the crazy haters.

I don't hate her, but I'm not that interested in her either.  ;D

Written By: JordanK1982 on 12/14/16 at 10:56 pm

MTV died halfway through the 90's. I switched to MTV2 until that died halfway through the 00's. In 2016 you're just beating a rotted dead horse.

Written By: yelimsexa on 12/15/16 at 7:05 am

Once Daria, Buzzkill, and Road Rules dominated the schedule along with the continued success of The Real World (around 1996ish), that was when the network became an artifact title, but it still wasn't dead obviously in terms of being a pop culture generator, as the current lineup on "MTV Classic" suggests. The thing is many of today's teens view television much like I did with radio: it's certainly still there, but had its glory days in the past.

An interesting tidbit: it wasn't until August 2012 that MTV and its partners went to HD, despite many '90s music videos being filmed in that format. This is very strange since they were the first network to go all-stereo in 1981, years before NBC, CBS, and ABC did so.

Written By: Howard on 12/15/16 at 7:24 am

I think MTV has been dead for years.

I agree, when was the last it was relevant?  ::)

Written By: Howard on 12/15/16 at 7:26 am

They're just garbage. :P

Written By: Howard on 12/15/16 at 7:27 am

Why is she even relevant? ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/15/16 at 7:29 am

Those programs are all shown on separate television channels in the UK.

Written By: 2001 on 12/15/16 at 1:28 pm

Those programs are all shown on separate television channels in the UK.

I don't think we have MTV on basic cable in Canada. We have MuchMusic which is somewhat similar, but they still play music every now and then. Last time I turned it on they were playing '90s rock.

Written By: Howard on 12/15/16 at 2:30 pm

http://kingsofar.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/MTV1.jpg
This is how dead it is in 2016.  ::)

Written By: Starlighter on 12/15/16 at 7:18 pm

This is how dead it is in 2016.  ::)

What show is the 2015 pic from?

I agree with everyone who said MTV was dead around the mid 90's.  They seemed to try to keep some music programming like TRL and Say What Karaoke in the late 90's, but then they finally gave up on music altogether.  MTV seems to hate music now because they buy out music channels like VH1 and CMT and cancel music programming.  Every time I see a music channel stop playing videos I ask if MTV bought them out.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/15/16 at 7:37 pm

I agree with everyone who said MTV was dead around the mid 90's.  They seemed to try to keep some music programming like TRL and Say What Karaoke in the late 90's, but then they finally gave up on music altogether.  MTV seems to hate music now because they buy out music channels like VH1 and CMT and cancel music programming.  Every time I see a music channel stop playing videos I ask if MTV bought them out.

It's been dead since 2003/2004, at least. Daria and Clone High were the last shows that gave MTV attention.  :P

Written By: Howard on 12/16/16 at 7:42 am

some reality show.

Written By: Starlighter on 12/17/16 at 1:44 pm

It's been dead since 2003/2004, at least. Daria and Clone High were the last shows that gave MTV attention.  :P

I'm looking at it from the perspective of when the "Music" in MTV died, which, in my opinion, was in the mid 90's.  Once they abandoned their intended format of being a music channel, MTV "died" and became a different channel even though they kept the name. 

Written By: Howard on 12/17/16 at 2:06 pm

I'm looking at it from the perspective of when the "Music" in MTV died, which, in my opinion, was in the mid 90's.  Once they abandoned their intended format of being a music channel, MTV "died" and became a different channel even though they kept the name.

and this is where YouTube came in.

Written By: 2001 on 12/17/16 at 3:19 pm

They should do more live shows (with musicians, that is).

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/17/16 at 3:28 pm

Daria and Clone High's soundtracks gave it away with the music part.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/17/16 at 3:30 pm

Well guess what I am dead, dead to you as can be!!!

-Eminem-

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ_pMgW1uK9fUL29pV8Fc3WcgsTcJRaelGawEbrcJFq6qtcajSMfA

Written By: tv on 12/17/16 at 4:07 pm

Yeah I think after "Jersey Shore" and "16 and Pregnant" went off the air the channel hasn't been relevant maybe. I did watch "16 and Pregnant" and "Jersey Shore" a few times and I was in my early 30's then.

Written By: tv on 12/17/16 at 4:12 pm

MTV died halfway through the 90's. I switched to MTV2 until that died halfway through the 00's. In 2016 you're just beating a rotted dead horse.
I think musically it may have died after the teen-pop era of 1999-2000 ended in 2001. TRL played a big part in getting Britney, Christina, Jessica Simpson, and Mandy Moore popular. The Backstreet Boys and N' Sync were already became popular in 1997 and 1998 respectively.

I think MTV played a lot rap videos when 50 Cent and Kanye were both popular from 2003-mid 2005.

Written By: tv on 12/17/16 at 4:22 pm

I don't really watch MTV nowadays but I think MTV is focused on getting a lot of women to watch their network not necessarily race-baiting at white people. Women do tend to follow pop-culture longer than men do so that's where the money is at getting women to watch their reality shows. 

Written By: tv on 12/17/16 at 4:26 pm

Well Reality Show Golden Age maybe. They did have Octomom on a reality show? I never remember seeing that... just flipping through the channels.

Written By: tv on 12/17/16 at 4:30 pm

Why is she even relevant? ::)
Yeah "The Kardashians" have been around since 2007. That would be like "Jersey Shore" still being on the air in 2016. Pop culture has changed some since the late 00's/early 10's.

Written By: tv on 12/17/16 at 4:32 pm

Well than they could just call it RTV than instead of MTV!

Written By: tv on 12/17/16 at 4:35 pm

Um no MTV  music wise was still huge in 1999-2000 with teen-pop being popular on TRL.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/17/16 at 4:51 pm

In a literal sense, that ain't true. What MTV have you been watching for the past 23 years of your life?

Written By: 2001 on 12/17/16 at 7:46 pm

In a literal sense, that ain't true. What MTV have you been watching for the past 23 years of your life?

Well than they could just call it RTV than instead of MTV!

That was just my hyperbolic humour ;D

Written By: 80sfan on 12/17/16 at 8:13 pm

I remember still liking MTV in 2002 when I watched it a my sister's house. And it was still okay in 2003. I noticed I didn't like it anymore in 2004. So to me, MTV died in 2003/2004.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 12/17/16 at 8:58 pm

Music is dead in 2016

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/17/16 at 10:35 pm

Music is dead in 2016

Music can never be dead. It's just in a dark age full of sh*tty celebrities.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/17/16 at 11:30 pm

Music is dead in 2016

It might as well be dead!

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 12/18/16 at 11:49 am

Spot on. People always debate the exact date that MTV as we knew it "died", but the answer is actually quite obvious. April 23, 2005, or the day that the first video was posted on YouTube.

YouTube, and the subsequent rise of video streaming sites in general, completely killed any reason that MTV had to exist. Why would today's teens sit around for hours hoping to see a particular music video like I did back in the early '00s, when they could just go on YT and watch said video on-demand?

Along with it's viewership, MTV has also lost it's influence. In the '80s and '90s, if you wanted to hit it big, you had to get your music video played on MTV. Period. Full Stop. Even into the early '00s, most of the big Teen Pop and Nu Metal groups of that era only took off after getting their videos played on TRL first. In 2016 (and really for the last decade) social media has driven the conversation as to what is and is not popular, while MTV can only hope to keep up.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/18/16 at 12:45 pm

Spot on. People always debate the exact date that MTV as we knew it "died", but the answer is actually quite obvious. April 23, 2005, or the day that the first video was posted on YouTube.

That wasn't really the first music video posted on YouTube. "Me at the zoo" by Jawed Karim, was about Jawed (one of the co-founders of YouTube) visiting a zoo near a elephant exhibit. The first music video uploaded on YouTube was Coppe's "I Lick My Silence", which was uploaded on June 27, 2005.

oIPt7_-MYIE

Written By: Howard on 12/18/16 at 2:58 pm

I don't really watch MTV nowadays but I think MTV is focused on getting a lot of women to watch their network not necessarily race-baiting at white people. Women do tend to follow pop-culture longer than men do so that's where the money is at getting women to watch their reality shows.

What about men?

Written By: Howard on 12/18/16 at 3:00 pm

I remember still liking MTV in 2002 when I watched it a my sister's house. And it was still okay in 2003. I noticed I didn't like it anymore in 2004. So to me, MTV died in 2003/2004.

I liked MTV from 1981-1986.

Written By: tv on 12/18/16 at 10:36 pm

Along with it's viewership, MTV has also lost it's influence. In the '80s and '90s, if you wanted to hit it big, you had to get your music video played on MTV. Period. Full Stop. Even into the early '00s, most of the big Teen Pop and Nu Metal groups of that era only took off after getting their videos played on TRL first.
I do think 50 Cent got big at first because of music video and his era of being popular went past the Y2K era of teen-pop and nu-metal era's. I mean I could still picture him on the treadmill in the music video for "In Da Club".

Written By: tv on 12/18/16 at 10:44 pm

I liked MTV from 1981-1986.
I only remember MTV from 1997 or 1998 onwards. We didn't get outside basic channels(channel 2, 4, 5, 7, 9. 11, and 13) until Christmas Time 1996. So if you wanted music...there was the radio!

Written By: Zelek3 on 12/18/16 at 10:56 pm

That wasn't really the first music video posted on YouTube. "Me at the zoo" by Jawed Karim, was about Jawed (one of the co-founders of YouTube) visiting a zoo near a elephant exhibit. The first music video uploaded on YouTube was Coppe's "I Lick My Silence", which was uploaded on June 27, 2005.

oIPt7_-MYIE

If YouTube was founded in April 2005, and the first video there was posted in June 2005, then what the hell was going on there for those two months???

Was the site still private at the time?

Written By: tv on 12/18/16 at 11:51 pm

What about men?
Men kinda phase out of pop culture at a faster clip than women do. I was out of pop culture(music) when the core 00's ended in 2007 and I was around 27 then.  I liked Lady GaGa put that was pretty much it after 2007. I didn't like Kesha or "The Black Eyed Peas". I am not a fan of Katy Perry's music except for her 2 first radio singles which were ok sounding.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/19/16 at 5:47 am

If YouTube was founded in April 2005, and the first video there was posted in June 2005, then what the hell was going on there for those two months???

That was the first music video uploaded on YouTube in June of 2005. The first video was uploaded in April of 2005, titled "Me at the Zoo". Also, YouTube was founded in February 14, 2005.

Written By: Howard on 12/19/16 at 2:49 pm

I only remember MTV from 1997 or 1998 onwards. We didn't get outside basic channels(channel 2, 4, 5, 7, 9. 11, and 13) until Christmas Time 1996. So if you wanted music...there was the radio!

MTV back in the 80's had music only at the time.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 12/19/16 at 9:56 pm

Was the site still private at the time?

Actually, I believe YouTube was kept private for most of 2005 while the site creators worked out all the early kinks. I think I remember reading somewhere (Wikipedia perhaps) that YouTube didn't officially "go public" until November 2005.

Check for new replies or respond here...