inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Did the early 2010s have a more optimistic vibe than today?

Written By: Zelek3 on 12/18/16 at 8:06 pm

Compared to now, they seemed like a more optimistic time, that's feeling more and more out of our reach as we approach 2017. I know everyone says "the past was more optimistic", but it really DOES feel like Obama's first term (2009-2012) had a more jubilant feel compared to his second (2013-2016).

In 2011, when Osama bin Laden was killed, our country felt united and as if it was progressing in the right direction. Contrast that to the past few years, where our country is split in half, political tensions are rising, and the pop culture (well ok, maybe just the Internet) has something of a grim, cynical feel to it. More people are embracing and normalizing cruel behavior because "It's funny lol" or "fuk da PC police".

Yes, I know the optimism of the Big O's first term was a fake dream and a distraction, all eras of optimism are — for instance, lots of bad sh*t happened in the 90s, crime rates apparently peaked that decade, but few of us noticed it because the economy was good, the pop culture of North America and Western Europe was giddy, and we felt giddy too — , yet sometimes I wish we could go back.

Subject: Re: Did the early 2010s have a more optimistic vibe than today?

Written By: Brian06 on 12/18/16 at 8:26 pm

Yes there was some optimism in Obama's first term and things hadn't quite blown up quite as bad yet, though Obama had loud detractors from the beginning. I think Obama had generally good intentions but made some crucial mistakes. Now it's a complete mess and America has officially hit rock bottom. Obama underestimated ISIS and thought he got rid of the whole terror problem just by killing bin Laden, which was a mistake. Taking sides with the anti police extremist "Black Lives Matter" movement was a divisive mistake too. Then Trump announced his candidacy and the rest is history.

Written By: SpyroKev on 12/18/16 at 8:36 pm

Yes it was. I answered this on past similar threads. The ambience of 2010-2011 especially was fresh and clean. We still even had YouTube. I said it once and I'll repeat, I miss early Drake, Nicki and Big Sean. Ariana Grande was also innocent since she was in Nick's hit, Victorious, a show I really miss. Cartoon Network was seemly making a comeback with Toonami incoming. I miss the hype of Saints Row 3 and Skyrim. Finishing high school at the time was a nice entrance to the era.

Glad to have been in my early 20s at the time.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/18/16 at 8:51 pm

Frankly, if I looked at this decade in 10 years, I would only feel happy about the early 2010s. Even though 2012 and onward gave me a unsettling feeling towards my life. I have to say that the Internet culture certainly played a huge role throughout this year. If it wasn't for how much the media paid attention to the Internet, I would most likely ignore this year in general. Although, I wish I could've ignored most of this year's culture, since it was rather cringeworthy to start with.  :-\\

I personally have to blame YouTube for all of this, since they caused a LOT of controversy towards its users. I mean, a lot. Not to mention that everyone on YouTube makes video like it's their own job. I really miss when most YouTubers made videos as a hobby, while making it funny for everyone. Nowadays, they're focusing more on sh*t like intense political analysis channels, a crap ton of Minecraft let's play channels, and god knows how many PewDiePie imitators.  8-P

Written By: Slim95 on 12/18/16 at 8:52 pm

Yes it was. I answered this on past similar threads. The ambience of 2010-2011 especially was fresh and clean. We still even had YouTube. I said it once and I'll repeat, I miss early Drake, Nicki and Big Sean. Ariana Grande was also innocent since she was in Nick's hit, Victorious, a show I really miss. Cartoon Network was seemly making a comeback with Toonami incoming. I miss the hype of Saints Row 3 and Skyrim. Finishing high school at the time was a nice entrance to the era.

Glad to have been in my early 20s at the time.

YouTube still exists...  ???

Written By: Slim95 on 12/18/16 at 8:55 pm

Economically yes. Other than that, I felt a similar dark feeling in the early 10s. It was just covered up by bright colours and artificial happiness. At least the mid 10s are more real. Even the music is better now than in the early 10s.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/18/16 at 8:57 pm

YouTube still exists..?  ???

In a literal sense, yes. It sadly does.  :\'(

Written By: Slim95 on 12/18/16 at 9:07 pm

In a literal sense, yes. It sadly does.  :\'(

YouTube is fine and it's still my favourite site. I always watch music videos on there. There is certainly no difference since the early 2010s. Late 2000s YouTube was different though because it was less profit based and more high quality videos were around. Anyways, I still think YouTube is a great site.

Written By: 2001 on 12/18/16 at 9:10 pm

We were talking about this in the Longest Political Thread. Some people were slightly upset when Michelle Obama remarked that "this is what hopelessness looks like", when referring to the election, and comparing it to Obama's "Hope" campaign in 2008. I said that this doesn't have to be something we use unreliable gut feelings to compare, there are mathematically measurable ways to prove she is right.

75% of people described themselves as optimistic or excited about Obama in late 2008, that's in contrast with 46% for Trump in late 2016. 31% of people are "scared" of what a Trump presidency will bring, and a further 22% are concerned. For comparison, the number was 64% optimistic for George W. Bush in late 2000, and 70% for Bill Clinton in late 1992.

The contrast in these CBS articles/polls are pretty stark. It's pretty interesting to compare.

December 9, 2008 – Poll: U.S. Largely Optimistic About Obama

December 15, 2016 – Most think Trump will bring change, but most also think he'll divide the nation

The early 2010s were gritty and were dark in many areas. High unemployment rate, poverty, homelessness, towns hollowed out closed businesses everywhere etc. There was the Euro Crisis, the Greek bailout, the H1N1 epidemic, the G20 summits, and many other horrific events.

But despite all that, there was still that optimism: that the future will be brighter and that things will get better. It's definitely something that's very lacking right now (and for good reason).

I remember when the first revolution was live-tweeted in January 2011 (Egyptian Revolution), when my co-worker announced "Hosni Mubarak stepped down!" there was a lot of cheering in the store. There was the Arab Spring, and a lot of dictators like Kim Jong-il and Ahmadinejad died or stepped down in 2011, and as you said Osama Bin Laden was also killed. It truly felt like "the evil has been defeated" and that we were entering a new era of world peace.

Unfortunately, we got a lot of "Say hello to the new boss: same as the old boss" type situations, or even worse in the case of Syria/Yemen. A lot of the optimism has been converted into fear and discontent, and we're seeing that manifest in our current era.

Written By: 2001 on 12/18/16 at 9:27 pm

Taking sides with the anti police extremist "Black Lives Matter" movement was a divisive mistake too.

Black Lives Matter is a human rights group that uses peaceful demonstrations to protest against the police murders and police brutality against innocent black men, where the police proceed to get off scot-free and are not brought to justice. There's nothing inherently wrong with being "anti-police". Police are human and they make mistakes. "Anti-police extremist" is essentially propaganda. None of the demands made by BLM are unreasonable, in fact, they are beneficial to all parties involved, as made evident by the police forces that have implemented key BLM demands. Both police and civilians (black and white) now live safer lives and in safer communities after the changes had been implemented.

Written By: Brian06 on 12/18/16 at 9:41 pm

Black Lives Matter is a human rights groups that uses peaceful demonstrations to protest against the police murders and police brutality against innocent black men who proceed to get off scot-free and are not brought to justice. There's nothing inherently wrong with being "anti-police". Police are human and they make mistakes. "Anti-police extremist" is essentially propaganda. None of the demands made by BLM are unreasonable, in fact, they are beneficial to all parties involved, as made evident by the police forces that have implemented key BLM demands. Both police and civilians (black and white) now live safer lives and in safer communities after the changes had been implemented.

BLM seemingly turns every case of a black man getting shot by police into a racist action (even when the cop is black), but there's always more details to the incidents. Usually the suspect involved was fighting with the police and resisting arrest, even attempting to take the cop's gun. Now there were some cases of injustice but not nearly as many as BLM claims. BLM also doesn't care about the lives black cops that die on the lie of duty, only the black men that fight with cops. I've read the obituaries of many black cops that died on the line of duty and there's never a single word from BLM about those black deaths. If I started fighting with a police officer and tried to take his gun, I'd also expect to be shot and I'm white. BLM is as I said an anti police propaganda organization that is doing nothing but stirring racial resentment.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/18/16 at 10:42 pm

Maybe it's my horrible personal life from that era. But 2010/2011 was darker in my personal life. And add in the doom and gloom vibes from doom and gloomers, of their predictions of the years after the 2008/2009 crash.
But people seem to think that the mid 10's overall, is darker.

Written By: Slim95 on 12/18/16 at 10:45 pm

Maybe it's my horrible personal life from that era. But 2010/2011 was darker in my personal life. And add in the doom and gloom vibes from doom and gloomers, of their predictions of the years after the 2008/2009 crash.
But people seem to think that the mid 10's overall, is darker.

I also found the early 10s darker partly due to my personal life.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/18/16 at 11:09 pm

I also found the early 10s darker partly due to my personal life.

:o

Written By: ArcticFox on 12/18/16 at 11:34 pm

Maybe a little, but not too much. Why does this thread even exist?

Written By: 2001 on 12/18/16 at 11:35 pm

BLM seemingly turns every case of a black man getting shot by police into a racist action (even when the cop is black),

You’re making that assumption that a person being black and a person being influenced by racism are mutually exclusive. They’re not. If black cops are shown to be more likely to kill unarmed black men than unarmed white men, then it’s safe to say that they are contributing or at least perpetuating the double standard.

but there's always more details to the incidents. Usually the suspect involved was fighting with the police and resisting arrest, even attempting to take the cop's gun. Now there were some cases of injustice but not nearly as many as BLM claims.

You’re using anecdotal evidence to build your viewpoints when there’s plenty of rich, accessible data out there that we can use. Between January 2015 and June 2016, 50 unarmed black men were shot, compared to an equal number of 50 unarmed white men. There are 5 times as many whites as blacks in the US. You’re 5 times more likely to be shot as an unarmed black man than as an unarmed white man. That itself is proof of an injustice.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2016/07/11/arent-more-white-people-than-black-people-killed-by-police-yes-but-no/?utm_term=.c991814b63eb (paragraph starting "U.S. police officers have shot and killed")

BLM also doesn't care about the lives black cops that die on the lie of duty, only the black men that fight with cops. I've read the obituaries of many black cops that died on the line of duty and there's never a single word from BLM about those black deaths.

Well, do you want to know what the difference is? The difference is that the people who murdered these cops were brought to justice. Their murderers were thrown in jail or even received the death penalty. Why are Eric Garner, Trayvon Martin, and Tamir Rice not deserving of the same respect and due process?

If I started fighting with a police officer and tried to take his gun, I'd also expect to be shot and I'm white.

And if you were an unarmed white man, and shot by police and severely injured or killed, you would want the people who attacked you to be brought to justice. You would want there be a video of the incident so the truth of the situation can be revealed, and not have your reputation be dragged through the dirt in the process. Are any of these demands unreasonable?

BLM is as I said an anti police propaganda organization that is doing nothing but stirring racial resentment.

That is a mischaracterization of what they do. Discrimination against black people in the country is very real and well documented throughout its history, and they are doing good work in trying to reduce and hopefully one day completely eliminate this injustice.

Written By: tv on 12/18/16 at 11:46 pm

Definitely yes. I have never seen the country like divided this since maybe the early 1990's when the LA Riots happened and I was 12 or 13 years old back then. Its gonna get worse in the next couple years and than hopefully get better in 2019.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 12/19/16 at 1:19 am

As long as Pitbull still makes music, I keep staying optimistic.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/19/16 at 1:35 am

You’re making that assumption that a person being black and a person being influenced by racism are mutually exclusive. They’re not. If black cops are shown to be more likely to kill unarmed black men than unarmed white men, then it’s safe to say that they are contributing or at least perpetuating the double standard.

You’re using anecdotal evidence to build your viewpoints when there’s plenty of rich, accessible data out there that we can use. Between January 2015 and June 2016, 50 unarmed black men were shot, compared to an equal number of 50 unarmed white men. There are 5 times as many whites as blacks in the US. You’re 5 times more likely to be shot as an unarmed black man than as an unarmed white man. That itself is proof of an injustice.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2016/07/11/arent-more-white-people-than-black-people-killed-by-police-yes-but-no/?utm_term=.c991814b63eb (paragraph starting "U.S. police officers have shot and killed")

Well, do you want to know what the difference is? The difference is that the people who murdered these cops were brought to justice. Their murderers were thrown in jail or even received the death penalty. Why are Eric Garner, Trayvon Martin, and Tamir Rice not deserving of the same respect and due process?

And if you were an unarmed white man, and shot by police and severely injured or killed, you would want the people who attacked you to be brought to justice. You would want there be a video of the incident so the truth of the situation can be revealed, and not have your reputation be dragged through the dirt in the process. Are any of these demands unreasonable?

That is a mischaracterization of what they do. Discrimination against black people in the country is very real and well documented throughout its history, and they are doing good work in trying to reduce and hopefully one day completely eliminate this injustice.

I agree with most of what you said.

It's understandable when a group of people who have been shot, or beat, or something else, to be suspicious when a white, or black, police officer, attacks a person of their group. Even if they are suspicious, or having a triggered response. Their triggered response is from real facts, experiences, and truths. In essence, these suspicions and triggered responses aren't overreactions, but understandable and right reactions, even if it turns out that the shooting, or situation, wasn't about race.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/19/16 at 5:44 am

Maybe a little, but not too much. Why does this thread even exist?

At least it's better than all of the generation threads we keep having.

Written By: Howard on 12/19/16 at 2:52 pm

YouTube still exists..?  ???

Where have you been for the past 11 years?  ::)

Written By: Slim95 on 12/19/16 at 2:59 pm

Where have you been for the past 11 years?  ::)

Exactly tell him that lol

Written By: batfan2005 on 12/19/16 at 6:14 pm

Right now the only thing to be optimistic about is for Trump to make America great again, because it sure has not been great these last few years. Things have gone downhill fast during Obama's second term.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 12/19/16 at 8:36 pm

I know who can save us in 2020...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CExBGPuUkAA7w5r.jpg

(Mentally replace that '16 with a '20)

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/19/16 at 8:40 pm

Pitbull would just put in more dumb songs for 2020.  >:(

Written By: JordanK1982 on 12/19/16 at 8:42 pm

Pitbull would just put in more dumb songs for 2020.  >:(

Except Pitbull's music isn't dumb. It's classy, intelligent and sophisticated.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 12/19/16 at 8:46 pm

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I don't think he'll run.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 12/19/16 at 8:52 pm

To answer the question, yes it did! The pop culture captured that perfectly. I'm aware we were in a post-recession effect during that time, but the music, fashion, and the vibe made it very joyful. It was much better than the dark era of terrorist attacks, robotomy, and pretentious attitudes!

Written By: JordanK1982 on 12/19/16 at 9:05 pm

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I don't think he'll run.

It's a shame. He's certainly more qualified than Trump...

Written By: mxcrashxm on 12/19/16 at 9:20 pm

It's a shame. He's certainly more qualified than Trump...
Maybe he might run one day. If Kanye and Lindsay can do it, so can he.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/20/16 at 6:05 am

Except Pitbull's music isn't dumb. It's classy, intelligent and sophisticated.

Yeah, if you call that stuff as "classy". Maybe sophisticated (to a lot of people).

Written By: 2001 on 12/20/16 at 8:31 am

It's better than Kanye. Lady Gaga needs to run though. First she got the liberal vote and now with Joanne she's got a lot of Republicans.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 12/20/16 at 11:11 pm

Yeah, if you call that stuff as "classy". Maybe sophisticated (to a lot of people).

I do call his music classy. Maybe if you open your mind and check out some of his albums (I suggest Pitbull Starring in Rebelution which I consider to be his magnum opus) you might find you enjoy it.

It's better than Kanye. Lady Gaga needs to run though. First she got the liberal vote and now with Joanne she's got a lot of Republicans.

Lady Gaga is a hack. She couldn't even remain popular and relevant after 2011. Pitbull, however, went from Mr. 305 to Mr. Worldwide in 2011 and still makes big hits. ;) 8)

Written By: 80sfan on 12/21/16 at 12:19 am

The late 10's so far have a very dark vibe. Maybe I'm projecting my fears after that assassination video. Maybe the late 10's will beat both the first 1/3 of the decade.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/21/16 at 12:25 am

I do call his music classy. Maybe if you open your mind and check out some of his albums (I suggest Pitbull Starring in Rebelution which I consider to be his magnum opus) you might find you enjoy it.

Lady Gaga is a hack. She couldn't even remain popular and relevant after 2011. Pitbull, however, went from Mr. 305 to Mr. Worldwide in 2011 and still makes big hits. ;) 8)

Ouch!  8-P It stings like a bee!

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/21/16 at 5:45 am

At least Lady Gaga was the queen of the electropop era, while making badass songs compared to Pitbull.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 12/21/16 at 6:16 am

At least Lady Gaga was the queen of the electropop era, while making badass songs compared to Pitbull.

How is Lady Gaga more badass than Pitbull? There's a reason why Pitbull still makes hits while Lady Gaga is a has-been that nobody listens to anymore.

Ouch!  8-P It stings like a bee!

;)

Written By: 2001 on 12/21/16 at 9:20 am

How is Lady Gaga more badass than Pitbull? There's a reason why Pitbull still makes hits while Lady Gaga is a has-been that nobody listens to anymore.

;)

Written By: JordanK1982 on 12/21/16 at 9:28 am

You want it? You got it!

Here are the singles from this year and last year where he is the main artist.

Messin' Around
Released April 8, 2016
US Billboard Hot 100 #64
US Dance Club Songs (Billboard) #10
US Hot Rap Songs (Billboard) #15
US Mainstream Top 40 (Billboard) #25
US Rhythmic (Billboard) #37

Greenlight
Released July 22, 2016
US Billboard Hot 100 #95
US Mainstream Top 40 (Billboard) #22

Fun
Released April 21, 2015
US Billboard Hot 100 #40
US Hot Rap Songs (Billboard) #7
US Dance Club Songs (Billboard) #30
US Latin Pop Songs (Billboard) #33
US Mainstream Top 40 (Billboard) #17
US Rhythmic (Billboard) #15

Put that in your pipe and smoke it. Pitbull still has a ton of chart presence and continues to make big hits. Lady Gaga albums are in the bargin bin. ;)

Written By: 2001 on 12/21/16 at 9:32 am

You want it? You got it!

Here are the singles from this year and last year where he is the main artist.

Messin' Around
Released April 8, 2016
US Billboard Hot 100 #64
US Dance Club Songs (Billboard) #10
US Hot Rap Songs (Billboard) #15
US Mainstream Top 40 (Billboard) #25
US Rhythmic (Billboard) #37

Greenlight
Released July 22, 2016
US Billboard Hot 100 #95
US Mainstream Top 40 (Billboard) #22

Fun
Released April 21, 2015
US Billboard Hot 100 #40
US Hot Rap Songs (Billboard) #7
US Dance Club Songs (Billboard) #30
US Latin Pop Songs (Billboard) #33
US Mainstream Top 40 (Billboard) #17
US Rhythmic (Billboard) #15

Put that in your pipe and smoke it. Pitbull still has a ton of chart presence and continues to make big hits. Lady Gaga albums are in the bargin bin. ;)

Perfect Illusion peaked at #15 in the Hot 100. #BYE

Written By: JordanK1982 on 12/21/16 at 9:37 am

Perfect Illusion peaked at #15 in the Hot 100. #BYE

Too bad Pitbull has way more chart presence. Lady Gaga is struggling to remain relevant while Pitbull doesn't even have to try because he is Mr. Worldwide.

Written By: 2001 on 12/21/16 at 9:46 am

Too bad Pitbull has way more chart presence. Lady Gaga is struggling to remain relevant while Pitbull doesn't even have to try because he is Mr. Worldwide.

Million Reasons which is taking Trump land by storm is #52 atm, it came out last week so it hasn't peaked yet, unlike Pitbull who peaked in 2010.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 12/21/16 at 9:50 am

Million Reasons which is taking Trump land by storm is #52 atm, it came out last week so it hasn't peaked yet, unlike Pitbull who peaked in 2010.

Pitbull's best album came out in 2009, actually. I'd say that was his peak if Planet Pit from 2011 wasn't almost equally as good. Even Globalization from 2014 is just as good as Planet Pit. His peak is on-going, clearly. Besides, Climate Change hasn't even come out yet! Just you wait! It's gonna shake up Trump Land like no other album in 2017. 

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/21/16 at 10:35 am

Pitbull's best album came out in 2009, actually. I'd say that was his peak if Planet Pit from 2011 wasn't almost equally as good. Even Globalization from 2014 is just as good as Planet Pit. His peak is on-going, clearly. Besides, Climate Change hasn't even come out yet! Just you wait! It's gonna shake up Trump Land like no other album in 2017.

If only he could make an album against Trump, just like Green Day made an album about rock music against Bush in 2004.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 12/21/16 at 11:04 am

If only he could make an album against Trump, just like Green Day made an album about rock music against Bush in 2004.

Now I know you're trolling me since I've explained to you a million times why that album was not political and only a cash-in on the anti-Bush trend. :P

Written By: tv on 01/01/17 at 2:21 pm

Now I know you're trolling me since I've explained to you a million times why that album was not political and only a cash-in on the anti-Bush trend. :P
Well Bush W. got re-elected in 2004 when the year "American Idi**(the Album) got released.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/01/17 at 2:32 pm

Well Bush W. got re-elected in 2004 when the year "American Idi**(the Album) got released.

Doesn't change the fact that the album's nothing more than Green Day cashing in on the Bush trend with an album that features very little political content (American Idiot and Holiday are the only "political" songs on the album) and no real insight on the Bush administration. It was the moment when Green Day went from being an honest band to an inauthentic product no better than some boyband but with more pretentious political posturing.   

Written By: Baltimoreian on 01/01/17 at 2:47 pm

Doesn't change the fact that the album's nothing more than Green Day cashing in on the Bush trend with an album that features very little political content (American Idiot and Holiday are the only "political" songs on the album) and no real insight on the Bush administration. It was the moment when Green Day went from being an honest band to an inauthentic product no better than some boyband but with more pretentious political posturing. 

The single "American Idiot" was what made it influential with the political crap. I could agree though that the rest of the album isn't really political, since it only had two anti-Bush songs like you said. But the whole album is basically like a mid 2000s version of Dookie (like I said a million times to you).

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/01/17 at 3:25 pm

The single "American Idiot" was what made it influential with the political crap. I could agree though that the rest of the album isn't really political, since it only had two anti-Bush songs like you said.

Yes.

But the whole album is basically like a mid 2000s version of Dookie (like I said a million times to you).

No. Apples and oranges.

Written By: bchris02 on 01/02/17 at 4:17 pm

Yes and no.

The early '10s were maligned by a worldwide recession that had a lot of people on edge about the economy and the future.  However, there didn't seem to be quite the cultural tension back then there is today.  The best music of my lifetime came out of that era. Pop culture was overall more optimistic and the SJW/anti-PC era wasn't yet in full swing.  Everything started going downhill around 2013.

Written By: bchris02 on 01/02/17 at 4:20 pm

Lady Gaga peaked too soon with the Fame Monster.  Born This Way was overhyped and poorly promoted and I believe that began her downhill slide.  When ARTPOP flopped, it was clear that "Gagamania" was over.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 01/02/17 at 4:23 pm

Lady Gaga peaked too soon with the Fame Monster.  Born This Way was overhyped and poorly promoted and I believe that began her downhill slide.  When ARTPOP flopped, it was clear that "Gagamania" was over.

To me, Lady Gaga peaked during the very late 2000s. She didn't receive that much popularity after 2011 though.

Written By: bchris02 on 01/02/17 at 4:29 pm

To me, Lady Gaga peaked during the very late 2000s. She didn't receive that much popularity after 2011 though.

I would say 2009 and 2010 were her peak years. She debuted in 2008 but "Gagamania" really began in 2009.  In 2010, her popularity and impact was being compared to some of the most influential artists and bands of all time like Madonna and the Beatles.  It ended in 2011 for a variety of reasons.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/02/17 at 4:44 pm

Yes and no.

The early '10s were maligned by a worldwide recession that had a lot of people on edge about the economy and the future.  However, there didn't seem to be quite the cultural tension back then there is today.  The best music of my lifetime came out of that era. Pop culture was overall more optimistic and the SJW/anti-PC era wasn't yet in full swing.  Everything started going downhill around 2013.

I think it's the opposite. Things started to get better starting in 2013.

Written By: Shemp97 on 01/02/17 at 6:03 pm

I think it's the opposite. Things started to get better starting in 2013.

To each their own I guess.  :P

Written By: Baltimoreian on 01/02/17 at 6:57 pm

I would say 2009 and 2010 were her peak years. She debuted in 2008 but "Gagamania" really began in 2009.  In 2010, her popularity and impact was being compared to some of the most influential artists and bands of all time like Madonna and the Beatles.  It ended in 2011 for a variety of reasons.

Around late 2008 she started to get popular though.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/02/17 at 7:01 pm

Around late 2008 she started to get popular though.

I agree. By November of 2008 she was huge.

Written By: BornIn86 on 01/02/17 at 10:00 pm

;)

I have a theory that as soon as a "diva" officially becomes a gay icon, the hard downward spiral begins. How and why is up for debate.

Written By: 2001 on 01/02/17 at 10:29 pm

I have a theory that as soon as a "diva" officially becomes a gay icon, the hard downward spiral begins. How and why is up for debate.

Pretty much every female pop star is a gay icon. Kind of ironic considering the qualitY the Y-chromosome produces.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/02/17 at 10:46 pm

Pretty much every female pop star is a gay icon. Kind of ironic considering the qualitY the Y-chromosome produces.

Not every one.

Written By: 2001 on 01/02/17 at 10:47 pm

Not every one.

Every relevant one, how about that? ;) ;D

Written By: Slim95 on 01/02/17 at 10:50 pm

Every relevant one, how about that? ;) ;D

Rihanna is relevant and I don't think she's a gay icon.

Written By: 2001 on 01/02/17 at 10:53 pm

Boy, you don't even know ;D

https://m.popkey.co/3f7fb2/wGY0N.gif

Written By: bchris02 on 01/02/17 at 11:19 pm

I agree. By November of 2008 she was huge.

After she released Poker Face is when she really started to become popular from my perspective.  Just Dance also had a late popularity surge in late 2008, despite having been released much earlier in the year.  I didn't hear Poker Face until probably November 2008 or so. She peaked in late 2009 going into 2010.  Bad Romance's run in the charts was about the top of it.  Her popularity lasted through 2011 and then started to fade.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/02/17 at 11:32 pm

After she released Poker Face is when she really started to become popular from my perspective.  Just Dance also had a late popularity surge in late 2008, despite having been released much earlier in the year.  I didn't hear Poker Face until probably November 2008 or so. She peaked in late 2009 going into 2010.  Bad Romance's run in the charts was about the top of it.  Her popularity lasted through 2011 and then started to fade.

I remember in 2010 Lady Gaga was huge as well.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 01/03/17 at 1:38 pm

I don't think every female pop star is a gay icon necessarily. Especially the ones who are homophobic like Iggy Azalea and Paris Hilton.

Written By: 2001 on 01/03/17 at 2:06 pm

I don't think every female pop star is a gay icon necessarily. Especially the ones who are homophobic like Iggy Azalea and Paris Hilton.

I didn't know Iggy was homophobic :o i wouldn't be surprised if she had a gay following though I remember a lot of people siding with her when she said the only reason people don't treat her like Eminem is because she's a woman lol.

Paris Hilton is a huge icon. Didn't you watch Paris's BFF? A lot of the contestants were gay lmao. That show was hilarious.

Written By: Howard on 01/03/17 at 2:42 pm

Rhianna is not gay.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 01/03/17 at 2:57 pm

Rhianna is not gay.

They're saying she's a gay icon, not herself.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/03/17 at 3:21 pm

Rhianna is not gay.

Well I hope not! That would ruin all my dreams and fantasies.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 01/03/17 at 3:23 pm

They're saying she's a gay icon, not herself.

I thought she was dating some guy?  ???

Written By: BornIn86 on 01/03/17 at 3:35 pm

Rhianna is not gay.

Oh, Howard.

;D

Written By: BornIn86 on 01/03/17 at 3:45 pm

As for the OP...yep. It did.

Written By: BornIn86 on 01/03/17 at 3:48 pm

I see the validity in this but I think there is a big difference between the way gay men latched on to Madonna, Britney Spears, Lady Gaga and most of the other female pop stars.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/03/17 at 3:52 pm

I see the validity in this but I think there is a big difference between the way gay men latched on to Madonna, Britney Spears, Lady Gaga and most of the other female pop stars.

Yeah and Cher was a gay icon too.

Written By: 2001 on 01/03/17 at 4:33 pm

That's true. Some pop stars are gayer than others, like Rihanna 💅 (jk)

Written By: 80sfan on 01/03/17 at 4:35 pm

Boy, you don't even know ;D

https://m.popkey.co/3f7fb2/wGY0N.gif

She's sold so many records.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/03/17 at 4:36 pm

She was a great recession pop star!  ;D

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/03/17 at 4:49 pm

Rhianna sucks! 8-P

Written By: 80sfan on 01/03/17 at 4:49 pm

I didn't know Iggy was homophobic :o i wouldn't be surprised if she had a gay following though I remember a lot of people siding with her when she said the only reason people don't treat her like Eminem is because she's a woman lol.

Paris Hilton is a huge icon. Didn't you watch Paris's BFF? A lot of the contestants were gay lmao. That show was hilarious.

She's casually bigotted/racist, or at least used to be, and casually homophobic.  :-X

I believe she doesn't have talent, and the way she makes her butt bigger to make herself more 'urban' is offensive. I believe she's like that naive bigot (although still bigotted) rather than the violent, cross-burning, racist.

I believe all her cultural controversy would have blown over had she just stayed calm in 2014 and 2015, instead of getting mad, and defensive, those years. She delayed her album to be released this year. 

There's nothing wrong, in my opinion, of being a fan of someone who is imperfect. As long as people don't let it get too out of hand. If I were to judge all my singer/actors/actresses too harshly, I would hate everyone.  :P

I like Iggy as a person. She seems sweet, and kind of naive. But her musical talent is limited.  ;D  ;D

Written By: 80sfan on 01/03/17 at 4:50 pm

Rhianna sucks! 8-P

I prefer Beyonce.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/03/17 at 4:51 pm

I prefer Beyonce.

I'd rather listen to Bad Religion. ;)

Written By: 2001 on 01/03/17 at 5:01 pm

She's casually bigotted/racist, or at least used to be, and casually homophobic.  :-X

I believe she doesn't have talent, and the way she makes her butt bigger to make herself more 'urban' is offensive. I believe she's like that naive bigot (although still bigotted) rather than the violent, cross-burning, racist.

I believe all her cultural controversy would have blown over had she just stayed calm in 2014 and 2015, instead of getting mad, and defensive, those years. She delayed her album to be released this year. 

There's nothing wrong, in my opinion, of being a fan of someone who is imperfect. As long as people don't let it get too out of hand. If I were to judge all my singer/actors/actresses too harshly, I would hate everyone.  :P

I like Iggy as a person. She seems sweet, and kind of naive. But her musical talent is limited.  ;D  ;D

Shieeet I just found this hot mess http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/lol-ive-been-reading-iggy-azaleas-racist-homophobic-tweets.454336709/

With a Twitter account like that she could be the next American president.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/03/17 at 5:03 pm

I prefer Beyonce.

Rihanna's hotter.

Written By: 2001 on 01/03/17 at 5:08 pm

Rihanna's hotter.

What about the Partition MV? It has French in it! That's hot.

Written By: #Infinity on 01/03/17 at 5:34 pm

You know, it's pretty ironic because I as a feminine lesbian feel a strong emotional attachment to a lot of female celebrities with gay cults like Bette Davis, Madonna, Debbie Gibson, and Rachel Stevens for pretty much similar reasons to gay men. I feel a sense of empowerment through adventurously flashy apparel, commanding sassiness, and bubbly music with both conviction as well as whimsy.

I suppose this is because within the lesbian community, I feel like a gay man amongst predominantly heterosexual men. I don't cling to individuals like Ellen DeGeneres or Rachel Maddow, do not feel I'm realizing my true emotional identity through the defiance of traditionally feminine styles and mannerisms, can't stand Orange Is the New Black, am not great at team sports, and simply haven't grown up with the same experiences or worldview as most of my peers. I don't see femininity and strength as virtually mutually exclusive traits the way so many other people do. The societal forces that exist today result in most lesbians growing up to be very different from me personally, but as someone who has never really followed the pack in the same way, I've found much more joy out of embracing my femininity than blurring it.

Even as a little kid, well before I came out publicly as transgendered, I quickly found myself in the company largely of gay men because of my interests in things like eurodance, eurobeat, and Dance Dance Revolution simulation. At one of my usual forums, Eurobeat-Prime, it was the norm to be a gay male and one member clearly stood out for his straightness. I'm also a big nut for theatre, another avenue dominated by gay men.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 01/03/17 at 5:38 pm

I thought she was dating some guy?  ???

That doesn't make her gay.

Written By: 2001 on 01/04/17 at 10:53 am

You know, it's pretty ironic because I as a feminine lesbian feel a strong emotional attachment to a lot of female celebrities with gay cults like Bette Davis, Madonna, Debbie Gibson, and Rachel Stevens for pretty much similar reasons to gay men. I feel a sense of empowerment through adventurously flashy apparel, commanding sassiness, and bubbly music with both conviction as well as whimsy.

I suppose this is because within the lesbian community, I feel like a gay man amongst predominantly heterosexual men. I don't cling to individuals like Ellen DeGeneres or Rachel Maddow, do not feel I'm realizing my true emotional identity through the defiance of traditionally feminine styles and mannerisms, can't stand Orange Is the New Black, am not great at team sports, and simply haven't grown up with the same experiences or worldview as most of my peers. I don't see femininity and strength as virtually mutually exclusive traits the way so many other people do. The societal forces that exist today result in most lesbians growing up to be very different from me personally, but as someone who has never really followed the pack in the same way, I've found much more joy out of embracing my femininity than blurring it.

Even as a little kid, well before I came out publicly as transgendered, I quickly found myself in the company largely of gay men because of my interests in things like eurodance, eurobeat, and Dance Dance Revolution simulation. At one of my usual forums, Eurobeat-Prime, it was the norm to be a gay male and one member clearly stood out for his straightness. I'm also a big nut for theatre, another avenue dominated by gay men.

Just Dance is the DDR of the 2010s. I used to play it 2013/2014, though it was popular since 2010. The gays were everywhere :-X

Written By: BornIn86 on 01/04/17 at 10:30 pm

Just Dance is the DDR of the 2010s. I used to play it 2013/2014, though it was popular since 2010. The gays were everywhere :-X

Just Dance was released in 2008 tho. The early, early 2010s belonged to Bad Romance GaGa.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/04/17 at 10:34 pm

Just Dance was released in 2008 tho. The early, early 2010s belonged to Bad Romance GaGa.

But the early 10s and late 00s (late 2008 and 2009) were pretty much the same. And Just Dance remained pretty popular up to then.

Written By: Zelek3 on 01/05/17 at 12:51 am

With the recent Chicago kidnapping and torture of a Trump supporter (of course, it was a horrible and reprehensible act, even if I don't agree with his politics, yet Neo-Nazis are using the tragedy to push their agenda), as well as the Internet response to it (for the sake of your sanity, DON'T look at it), I can feel things in our nation getting even darker and more divided. :-\\

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/05/17 at 2:12 am

Oh boy, I just looked it up! Found some neat stuff posted on r/The_Donald! Fun...

Written By: Zelek3 on 01/05/17 at 2:43 am

Oh boy, I just looked it up! Found some neat stuff posted on r/The_Donald! Fun...

lol, r/The_Donald is tame compared the comments posted on the original YouTube video (it got removed).

If you want to look at what the alt right had to say about this, here, but don't say I didn't warn you...

(NSFW) http://imgur.com/a/hZ2Q9

Written By: Baltimoreian on 01/05/17 at 5:58 am

lol, r/The_Donald is tame compared the comments posted on the original YouTube video (it got removed).

If you want to look at what the alt right had to say about this, here, but don't say I didn't warn you...

The fact that the Alt Right is dominating YouTube lately makes me lose faith in humanity.

Written By: BornIn86 on 01/05/17 at 6:29 am

The fact that the Alt Right is dominating YouTube lately makes me lose faith in humanity.

Right? I'm hoping there will be a backlash towards the "Alt-Right" the same way there's been a backlash against "SJWs". There are a lot of people on youtube with reasonable rebuttals towards some of the worst of the social justice community but I've noticed they've been more or less silent about the alt-right. Some of them even entertain the idea that white nationalism might not be so bad. White nationalism will always equal white supremacy. And white supremacy will always mean everyone else is inferior. ALWAYS. Why people keep denying this is insulting.

Written By: 2001 on 01/05/17 at 7:32 am

Oh, I was talking about the video game series. The first game came out late 2009, November 27, 2009 to be exact, and was popular throughout 2010. I got into it with Just Dance 4 which came out late 2012, and I also got into Just Dance 2014 (came out late 2013). It was the reason I preferred Xbox One to PS4 ;D

Written By: 2001 on 01/05/17 at 7:36 am

Days like these I'm glad I was born this side of the wall 😊

We got the hotter women too 😊

Written By: Baltimoreian on 01/05/17 at 10:36 am

Right? I'm hoping there will be a backlash towards the "Alt-Right" the same way there's been a backlash against "SJWs". There are a lot of people on youtube with reasonable rebuttals towards some of the worst of the social justice community but I've noticed they've been more or less silent about the alt-right. Some of them even entertain the idea that white nationalism might not be so bad. White nationalism will always equal white supremacy. And white supremacy will always mean everyone else is inferior. ALWAYS. Why people keep denying this is insulting.

Sadly, I think they'll cheer on Trump's presidency until the early-mid 2020s. So we have a long way ahead of us, unless something actually happens with the community. Even though they still have countless white supremacy forums.

Written By: 2001 on 01/05/17 at 11:25 am

WARNING: spoilers

The YouTube comment section was always trash.

The YouTube comment section will always be trash.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/05/17 at 11:55 am

"HAHA I SURE TOLD THEM!!!! GOD EMPEROR WILL PRAISE ME!"
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/519/227/29b.jpg

Seriously, that's all it is. Idiotic pretentious pseudo-intellectuals who think they're contrarians going against the big evil "msm" by being a bunch of racist dumbf*cks. In real life, I'm willing to bet these losers are completely different people.

Days like these I'm glad I was born this side of the wall 😊

We got the hotter women too 😊

No way!

Written By: BornIn86 on 01/05/17 at 12:06 pm

Oh, I was talking about the video game series. The first game came out late 2009, November 27, 2009 to be exact, and was popular throughout 2010. I got into it with Just Dance 4 which came out late 2012, and I also got into Just Dance 2014 (came out late 2013). It was the reason I preferred Xbox One to PS4 ;D

hashtag fail

My bad.

Written By: 2001 on 01/05/17 at 1:32 pm

I miss the electropop era.

Let's skip 2000s nostalgia and go all the way to 2010!

I'm gonna love it when 2000s Kid nostalgia starts and early 2010s inevitably gets lumped under.

"You know you're a 2000s kid if you danced to Ke$ha or Lady Gaga!"

yess best accidental truth ever!! #WhereIsTheLie

Written By: Baltimoreian on 01/05/17 at 1:46 pm

WARNING: spoilers

The YouTube comment section was always trash.

The YouTube comment section will always be trash.

4chan's /pol/ board is worse.

I miss the electropop era.

Let's skip 2000s nostalgia and go all the way to 2010!

I'm gonna love it when 2000s Kid nostalgia starts and early 2010s inevitably gets lumped under.

"You know you're a 2000s kid if you danced to Ke$ha or Lady Gaga!"

1w_XuOBnUAg

Written By: 2001 on 01/05/17 at 6:19 pm

4chan's /pol/ board is worse.

Debatable.

Written By: SpyroKev on 05/07/17 at 8:58 pm

Sh!t I need early Drake back.

His newer songs are depressive to me. It really hits me how early Drake and optimistic actually joins each other. Drake has definitely passed his peak.

Written By: the2001 on 05/08/17 at 2:22 pm

Sh!t I need early Drake back.

His newer songs are depressive to me. It really hits me how early Drake and optimistic actually joins each other. Drake has definitely passed his peak.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/08/17 at 2:41 pm

The early '10s might seem more optimistic now that Donald Trump is President, but I think you guys are forgetting how bleak things were back then.

You had the Tea Party protests, Occupy Wall Street, the Gulf Oil Spill, the Egyptian Revolution, War in Libya, 9% unemployment, that massive earthquake in Japan, Hurricane Sandy, the Trayvon Martin/George Zimmerman case, and the rise in mass shootings starting in 2012. Plus, at the very tail end of the early '10s in April 2013, you had the Boston Marathon Bombing, followed by the deadly Oklahoma Tornado Outbreak in May 2013. Also, don't forget that Donald Trump started his political career in 2011 by pushing that Obama "Birther" crap. 8-P

Written By: the2001 on 05/08/17 at 2:47 pm

The early '10s might seem more optimistic now that Donald Trump is President, but I think you guys are forgetting how bleak things were back then.

You had the Tea Party protests, Occupy Wall Street, the Gulf Oil Spill, the Egyptian Revolution, War in Libya, 9% unemployment, that massive earthquake in Japan, Hurricane Sandy, the Trayvon Martin/George Zimmerman case, and the rise in mass shootings starting in 2012. Plus, at the very tail end of the early '10s in April 2013, you had the Boston Marathon Bombing, followed by the deadly Oklahoma Tornado Outbreak in May 2013. Also, don't forget that Donald Trump started his political career in 2011 by pushing that Obama "Birther" crap. 8-P

agree 100%

Written By: 2001 on 05/08/17 at 4:48 pm

It was dark, no doubt about that, but that's the thing: we had hit what seemed like rock bottom after the 2008 financial crash, the only direction it seemed like we could go was up, and that's "optimism".

Obama's 2008 campaign slogan was "Hope" and "Yes We Can" ;D

Written By: 80sfan on 05/08/17 at 5:04 pm

The stock market bottomed out in March of 2009, and we were officially out of the recession by June of 2009.

Written By: the2001 on 05/08/17 at 5:05 pm

The stock market bottomed out in March of 2009, and we were officially out of the recession by June of 2009.

thats what they say, but I feel like it lasted until 2013

Written By: bchris02 on 05/08/17 at 5:05 pm

Yes, but there was still a large dark aspect to it.  I think had it not been for the recession, the era could have paralleled the Y2K era.  The recession and the budding political polarization that resulted in Donald Trump's election casts a shadow over that era.  Still, it was the best time of my life.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/08/17 at 5:10 pm

thats what they say, but I feel like it lasted until 2013

I think officially looks good on paper, but in reality, things move a little slower. Perhaps the jobs that were created weren't great jobs/great paying, even if the unemployment rate went down! That's one theory in my mind.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/08/17 at 5:11 pm

Yes, but there was still a large dark aspect to it.  I think had it not been for the recession, the era could have paralleled the Y2K era.  The recession and the budding political polarization that resulted in Donald Trump's election casts a shadow over that era.  Still, it was the best time of my life.

The Trump years are shaping up, for me, to be the best years of my life! And I didn't vote for him.  ;D

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/08/17 at 5:26 pm

I agree.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/08/17 at 5:41 pm

I said it before and I'll say it again, the early 2010s sucked!  8-P

Written By: the2001 on 05/08/17 at 5:43 pm

the early 2010s are best left in history lol

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 05/08/17 at 5:49 pm

Now, sometimes on the news you don't hear of a mass shooting because they have become even more common since 2012 (which is probably why, in my opinion, the 10's truly started in 2012 instead of 2008 or 2009). How do you think of this graph?

http://www.cpr.org/sites/default/files/styles/full-width/public/images/number-of-u-s-mass-shootings-1982-2016-count-of-year_chartbuilder.png?itok=wbYx5jNh

Written By: the2001 on 05/08/17 at 5:51 pm

Written By: BornIn86 on 05/08/17 at 6:20 pm

Thank god the mid-2010s have ended!  8-P

:P

Written By: SpyroKev on 05/08/17 at 10:52 pm

This is why I'm glad I don't pay attention to at least most world tragedies. They suck but will happen. Its nothing new.

It must have really sucked to be you during the early 2010s.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/08/17 at 11:54 pm

This is why I'm glad I don't pay attention to at least most world tragedies. They suck but will happen. Its nothing new.
It must have really sucked to be you during the early 2010s.

No, the era was horrible and I'm not the only one to think that. Just go back to threads from 2012 discussing how they hated the early 2010s. If you like them now, that's probably nostalgia talking.

Written By: SpyroKev on 05/09/17 at 8:55 am

No, the era was horrible and I'm not the only one to think that. Just go back to threads from 2012 discussing how they hated the early 2010s. If you like them now, that's probably nostalgia talking.

Can't blame this one on nostalgia. Not calling you out, man. Just your response. It was a response of false misery.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/09/17 at 10:27 am

Can't blame this one on nostalgia. Not calling you out, man. Just your response. It was a response of false misery.

A lot of people hated the early 2010s, not just me. I'm not sure what you enjoy from it.  ??? There's nothing to like or be nostalgic about for that time period. I bet it's just nostalgia talking, even though the early 2010s aren't even that different from today.

If you like the early 2010s, fine. But doesn't mean everyone has to. Everyone has different opinions on eras and not everyone likes the same things. You liked the early 2010s culture, I didn't, nothing wrong with that..

Written By: SpyroKev on 05/09/17 at 11:22 am

A lot of people hated the early 2010s, not just me. I'm not sure what you enjoy from it.  ??? There's nothing to like or be nostalgic about for that time period. I bet it's just nostalgia talking, even though the early 2010s aren't even that different from today.

If you like the early 2010s, fine. But doesn't mean everyone has to. Everyone has different opinions on eras and not everyone likes the same things. You liked the early 2010s culture, I didn't, nothing wrong with that..

That last sentence. I seen that so many times. I heard you. I'm not offended that you don't like the early 2010s, dude. You and them just make then seem as if it was complete s when it wasn't. There was positives back then and I don't need to list them. You should already know.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/09/17 at 12:40 pm

That last sentence. I seen that so many times. I heard you. I'm not offended that you don't like the early 2010s, dude. You and them just make then seem as if it was complete s when it wasn't. There was positives back then and I don't need to list them. You should already know.

No there really weren't positives back then. What exactly do you think was positive? Nothing. The culture was garbage. Now if I were to list the positives of the mid 2010s, I'm sure you would disagree too. So why are you so offended? The early 2010s sucked.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/09/17 at 12:56 pm

No there really weren't positives back then. What exactly do you think was positive? Nothing. The culture was garbage. Now if I were to list the positives of the mid 2010s, I'm sure you would disagree too. So why are you so offended? The early 2010s sucked.

That's your opinion. I like how you said "If you like the early 2010s, fine. But doesn't mean everyone has to. Everyone has different opinions on eras and not everyone likes the same things". However, despite saying that.....you seem to want everyone to think that the early 2010s sucked. You're being a hypocrite....just stop.

Written By: SpyroKev on 05/09/17 at 1:22 pm

That's your opinion. I like how you said "If you like the early 2010s, fine. But doesn't mean everyone has to. Everyone has different opinions on eras and not everyone likes the same things". However, despite saying that.....you seem to want everyone to think that the early 2010s sucked. You're being a hypocrite....just stop.

Its all good, ReignMan. Slim does speak as if his quote is fact when its far from it. The early 2010s didn't suck. It just sucked for them.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/09/17 at 1:27 pm

That was my opinion! How am I a hypocrite? It seems like you guys don't agree with me and getting offended over it and sensitive about it. I have no problem with you saying the early 2010s were great as a fact, because that's your opinion, just as you should have no problem with me saying it sucked. So it seems like the issue is you guys disagreeing with me is affecting you more than you thought and you are sensitive about the early 2010s and people talking bad about it. So I WILL say it again, the early 2010s were horrible.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/09/17 at 4:55 pm

Its all good, ReignMan. Slim does speak as if his quote is fact when its far from it. The early 2010s didn't suck. It just sucked for them.

It's ridiculous man. I'm not sweating though (just point out something to him).

That was my opinion! How am I a hypocrite? It seems like you guys don't agree with me and getting offended over it and sensitive about it. I have no problem with you saying the early 2010s were great as a fact, because that's your opinion, just as you should have no problem with me saying it sucked. So it seems like the issue is you guys disagreeing with me is affecting you more than you thought and you are sensitive about the early 2010s and people talking bad about it. So I WILL say it again, the early 2010s were horrible.

There you go again.....being a hypocrite. BTW, I WASN'T stating whether I liked the early 2010s or not....I was just pointing out your hypocrisy.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/09/17 at 8:19 pm

It's ridiculous man. I'm not sweating though (just point out something to him).
There you go again.....being a hypocrite. BTW, I WASN'T stating whether I liked the early 2010s or not....I was just pointing out your hypocrisy.

Looks like you're butthurt that someone actually doesn't like the early 2010s. You won't change my mind. The early 2010s suck and I will always think ot sucks.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/09/17 at 8:23 pm

Looks like you're butthurt that someone actually doesn't like the early 2010s. You won't change my mind. The early 2010s suck and I will always think ot sucks.

Butthurt about what? You're making no sense while still being a massive hypocrite.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 05/09/17 at 9:59 pm

The early 2010s suck and I will always think it sucks.
I think the reason you say that is because the early 10s were most likely an awful time in Canada while here in America it was great.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/10/17 at 1:29 pm

I think the reason you say that is because the early 10s were most likely an awful time in Canada while here in America it was great.

Most of the American stuff is what made it suck like Kesha, Lady Gaga, electropop, and other horrible music and culture. Plus the recession was still strong in the U.S. at the time even more than Canada.

Why can't you guys just accept the fact that not everyone likes the early 2010s and move on? I think it were a horrible era, why the hell can't you accept that (not you specifically but Reign and the others are acting very immature about this).

Written By: Slim95 on 05/10/17 at 1:31 pm

Butthurt about what? You're making no sense while still being a massive hypocrite.

Is that all you can contribute to this forum? Throw around insults like an immature child instead of properly debating and accepting others' opinions?

Written By: mxcrashxm on 05/10/17 at 1:53 pm

Most of the American stuff is what made it suck like Kesha, Lady Gaga, electropop, and other horrible music and culture. Plus the recession was still strong in the U.S. at the time even more than Canada.

Why can't you guys just accept the fact that not everyone likes the early 2010s and move on? I think it were a horrible era, why the hell can't you accept that (not you specifically but Reign and the others are acting very immature about this).
Yes! American stuff is why you despite the early 10s. That means Canadian pop culture was much better at that time. I do agree though that the recession was terrible.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/10/17 at 2:51 pm

Is that all you can contribute to this forum? Throw around insults like an immature child instead of properly debating and accepting others' opinions?

Throwing around insults......hold up.

First of all, you was the one to call me butthurt (which is an actual insult)

Second of all, calling you a hypocrite when you're being a hypocrite is not an insult.

Third of all, I have and will continue to contribute a lot to this forum. You can excuse yourself.

Fourth of all, immature? How? I'm being immature because I'm calling you out on your hypocrisy? ??? Makes no sense....whatsoever.

Fifth of all, you didn't properly debate me, SpyroKev nor UltraGameDog. All you did was say that "the early 2010s suck and why can't you guys just accept that?".

Sixth of all, no one is saying that you should like the early 2010s.

Written By: 2001 on 05/10/17 at 3:03 pm

It's impossible to hate the early '10s. Impossible!

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/10/17 at 3:09 pm

It's impossible to hate the early '10s. Impossible!

You're right! 8)

Written By: Slim95 on 05/10/17 at 3:39 pm

Yes! American stuff is why you despite the early 10s. That means Canadian pop culture was much better at that time. I do agree though that the recession was terrible.

No it doesn't work that way... Judt because American culture sucks DOES NOT mean Canadian culture is any better. They both suck. Early 2010s is a bad era, end of story.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/10/17 at 3:40 pm

Throwing around insults......hold up.

First of all, you was the one to call me butthurt (which is an actual insult)

Second of all, calling you a hypocrite when you're being a hypocrite is not an insult.

Third of all, I have and will continue to contribute a lot to this forum. You can excuse yourself.

Fourth of all, immature? How? I'm being immature because I'm calling you out on your hypocrisy? ??? Makes no sense....whatsoever.

Fifth of all, you didn't properly debate me, SpyroKev nor UltraGameDog. All you did was say that "the early 2010s suck and why can't you guys just accept that?".

Sixth of all, no one is saying that you should like the early 2010s.

Seems like you just can't accept the fact that I hate the early 2010s.  ::) You should work on that. Because there are plenty of people who don't like the era as well. And there's proof of that if you go back to threads in 2012 and people said the era is the worst, just like you are saying this era is the worst.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/10/17 at 3:49 pm

Seems like you just can't accept the fact that I hate the early 2010s.  ::) You should work on that. Because there are plenty of people who don't like the era as well. And there's proof of that if you go back to threads in 2012 and people said the era is the worst, just like you are saying this era is the worst.

Once again, I don't care if you like the early 2010s or not. I haven't even voiced my opinion on the matter. I was just pointing out your hypocrisy...that's it. I never mentioned my opinion on the early 2010s once ::).

However, this convo is redundant and useless. I'm done.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/10/17 at 3:55 pm

Once again, I don't care if you like the early 2010s or not. I haven't even voiced my opinion on the matter. I was just pointing out your hypocrisy...that's it. I never mentioned my opinion on the early 2010s once ::).

However, this convo is redundant and useless. I'm done.

Problem is I was never hypocritical, yet you were saying I was. I voiced my opinion and it sounded to you that I said it as a fact, which is your problem. Not all opinions have to have "I think" before it. It is common knowlege when talking about something like this, it is opinion based. For example, if someone says "Donald Trump sucks", that's an opinion and it doesn't have to have I think before it. You should not call someone hypocritical when they aren't. I never once stated that anything was a fact, and I was respectfully debating my opinion and stance. So don't call me something that I'm not.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/10/17 at 3:59 pm

Problem is I was never hypocritical, yet you were saying I was. I voiced my opinion and it sounded to you that I said it as a fact, which is your problem. Not all opinions have to have "I think" before it. It is common knowlege when talking about something like this, it is opinion based. For example, if someone says "Donald Trump sucks", that's an opinion and it doesn't have to have I think before it. You should not call someone hypocritical when they aren't. I never once stated that anything was a fact, and I was respectfully debating my opinion and stance. So don't call me something that I'm not.

It's not necessarily the fact that you said the early 2010s suck...it's also the fact that you basically said that the early 2010s sucked and why can't people accept that...that's hypocritical. But whatever.....no need to drag this out any further.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/10/17 at 4:02 pm

It's not necessarily the fact that you said the early 2010s suck...it's also the fact that you basically said that the early 2010s sucked and why can't people accept that...that's hypocritical. But whatever.....no need to drag this out any further.

That's not bad. If someone said the same for the early 2000s I would not get mad even though I love the early 2000s. It's still an opinion, it's not like I can change anybody's minds. Me saying that is just expressing my hatred towards the early 2010s.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 05/10/17 at 4:04 pm

No it doesn't work that way... Judt because American culture sucks DOES NOT mean Canadian culture is any better. They both suck. Early 2010s is a bad era, end of story.
Uh it does. There are some eras where a region had a terrible time, but that doesn't mean it's the same for others.

For example, if someone says "Donald Trump sucks", that's an opinion and it doesn't have to have I think before it. You should not call someone hypocritical when they aren't. I never once stated that anything was a fact, and I was respectfully debating my opinion and stance. So don't call me something that I'm not.
I wouldn't call that an opinion if someone stated that. Trump truly does suck!

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/10/17 at 4:05 pm

That's not bad. If someone said the same for the early 2000s I would not get mad even though I love the early 2000s. It's still an opinion, it's not like I can change anybody's minds. Me saying that is just expressing my hatred towards the early 2010s.

OK....both of our points were received. BTW, I have no hard feelings towards you (actually no hard feelings against anyone).

I wouldn't call that an opinion if someone stated that. Trump truly does suck!

That is true ;D.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/10/17 at 4:06 pm

Uh it does. There are some eras where a region had a terrible time, but that doesn't mean it's the same for others.

No it doesn't... How does that make any sense? Are you saying there is some invisible force that automatically makes a culture better in another country when it's bad in one country? It doesn't work like that, there's no opposite rule where U.S. culture is bad so Canada has to be better... I don't why you think it works this way... So you're saying if U.S. culture is awesome, it has to be bad in Canada? And if it's awful in the U.S., it has to be good in Canada? Where's your evidence for this and why would you think this? Culture was bad for me both in Canada and the U.S. in the early 2010s, why don't you think it can't be?  ???

Written By: mxcrashxm on 05/10/17 at 4:10 pm

No it doesn't... How does that make any sense? Are you saying there is some invisible force that automatically makes a culture better in another country when it's bad in one country? It doesn't work like that, there's no opposite rule where U.S. culture is bad so Canada has to be better... I don't why you think it works this way...
Whoa! I'm talking about the world, not just the U.S. and Canada. Say, if 2010s Canadian culture is awful, that doesn't mean the 2010s Japanese culture is horrible though. 

That is true ;D.
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Written By: Slim95 on 05/10/17 at 4:13 pm

Whoa! I'm talking about the world, not just the U.S. and Canada. Say, if 2010s Canadian culture is awful, that doesn't mean the 2010s Japanese culture is horrible though. 

But it doesn't mean it isn't horrible either. There is no rule. In the case of the early 2010s, it was horrible in both Canada and the U.S. for me.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 05/10/17 at 4:15 pm

But it doesn't mean it isn't horrible either. There is no rule. In the case of the early 2010s, it was horrible in both Canada and the U.S. for me.
That I can understand. Do yoiu like the late 10s so far for both countries?

Written By: Slim95 on 05/10/17 at 4:18 pm

So far not a lot, maybe I will like it more later on but right now it's kind of boring with the exception of a couple popular songs.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 05/10/17 at 4:20 pm

So far not a lot, maybe I will like it more later on but right now it's kind of boring with the exception of a couple popular songs.
What about everything else? (excluding politics)

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/10/17 at 4:20 pm

2017 has been decent so far.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/10/17 at 4:24 pm

What about everything else? (excluding politics)

Not really. The only thing I really enjoy is culture these days is Game of Thrones, and the new season will be out this summer and I am excited for that. Oh and Star Wars as well. Other than that, I don't really enjoy any mainstream stuff.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 05/10/17 at 4:43 pm

2017 has been decent so far.
Yeah, but I hope it gets better soon.

Not really. The only thing I really enjoy is culture these days is Game of Thrones, and the new season will be out this summer and I am excited for that. Oh and Star Wars as well. Other than that, I don't really enjoy any mainstream stuff.
Oh. Well, no worries then.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 05/10/17 at 6:47 pm

The pop culture was happy and optimistic but the actual vibes of the year were quite dark. I miss the music and some of the TV but I don't miss the era.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/18/17 at 11:06 pm

That last time there was an optimistic vibe in the air was the mid 2000s in my opinion. Something changed around 2007 and things were never the same since. Like some dark vibe just came and stuck around and all hope and optimism just faded away. At least that's the way I see it. Not sure what happened or why it happened, but we will never return to that goodness and optimism of the mid 2000s and before.

Check for new replies or respond here...