inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: VAPORWAVE... A New Musical Horizon

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 12/19/16 at 4:47 pm

Have any of you guys heard of this recent musical trend 'Vaporwave' before? To keep it short its a pretty recent trend in techno music in which artists remix samples of tracks (ranging from movie soundtracks to PC Intro screens) from the 80's, 90's, & early 00's while simultaneously providing modern flare (the modern dubstep or EDM sound in music), thus giving the jams a true A E S T H E T I C  F E E L 8).

This is a pretty recent track and I'm digging it so far, and I think best represents this genre of music ;)

HMLrn_bLmT0

Its catchy, energetic, but also equally relaxing, melo & its also pretty nostalgic (for instance, guess where the theme for that first song is from!).

The legitimate question I have here is that, do you guys think this underground movement is going to eventually become mainstream? If you're interested please discuss, and I'll be providing my own answer shortly!

Subject: Re: VAPORWAVE... A New Musical Horizon

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/19/16 at 5:16 pm

Isn't vaporwave more 80s?

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 12/19/16 at 5:23 pm

Isn't vaporwave more 80s?

Well most of its influence is from the 80's, but it also ranges from the 70's, 90's, & a little bit of the early 00's.

Written By: 2001 on 12/19/16 at 6:18 pm

What was the first song supposed to be? My best guess is The Katz Motel from Courage The Cowardly Dog ;D

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 12/19/16 at 6:41 pm

What was the first song supposed to be? My best guess is The Katz Motel from Courage The Cowardly Dog ;D

I'm not gonna lie but the instrumentation with the drums do match the beat with the song I posted! However, the first song is from the cartoon Hey Arnold. Its hard to tell at first but once you start listening more to that smooth jazz in the song and how the beats are played you start to get major flashbacks of watching that loveable 'f**t ball head' on your old CRT ;)

Written By: Zelek3 on 12/19/16 at 7:05 pm

I miss the days of about 2010 to 2013, when Vaporwave was a special, small little phenomenon that was confined mostly to 4chan's /mu/ (yeah, I was there as it happened. And not all 4chan boards suck like /pol/ or /tv/ or /v/ do, so don't ostracize me for going to one of their decent boards :P).

Now, crappy sites like Reddit, 9gag, and Facebook know about it, and it just doesn't feel the same anymore, duuude. Like, vaporwave has sold out, know what I'm sayin'?  ;)

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 12/19/16 at 7:39 pm

I was being half-sarcastic. ;D

People who use the word "sell out" also tend to say "mannnn" for some reason.

Music-wise, I don't think Vaporwave has declined, in fact I think it's gotten even better with a wider range of sub-genres and artists to pick from. But I do kind of miss when it was an obscure/underground thing, before social media discovered it and drove all those "post-post-post irony" or "A E S T H E T I C" jokes into the ground.

Yeah I get where you're coming from! It seems since 2015/16' the genre has started to steadily rise in popularity (ironically around when I first discovered it). Maybe I'm overthinking things but I theorize the massive political turbulence in the mid 2010's has obviously made people more nostalgic of the past, especially in the 80's & 90's, where most of Vaporwave's influence comes from. Hence the rise in popularity of the genre, although to most casual music listeners and the general public, the genre remains pretty underground for the most part. Although, while not exactly Vaporwave, I'm noticing many pop songs are recently incorporating many 80's/90's beats in their songs such as 'Star Boy', 'Cheap Thrills', & '24K Magic', to name a few

Written By: Zelek3 on 12/19/16 at 7:42 pm

I kind of get where you're coming from. I personally first discovered the phenomenon in 2015 with this classic:

cU8HrO7XuiE

I was being half-sarcastic. ;D

People who use the word "sell out" also tend to say "mannnn" for some reason.

Music-wise, I don't think Vaporwave has declined, in fact I think it's gotten even better with a wider range of sub-genres and artists to pick from. But I do kind of miss when it was an obscure/underground thing, before social media discovered it and drove all those "post-post-post irony" or "A E S T H E T I C" jokes into the ground.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 12/19/16 at 7:48 pm

Yeah I get where you're coming from! It seems since 2015/16' the genre has started to steadily rise in popularity (ironically around when I first discovered it). Maybe I'm overthinking things but I theorize the massive political turbulence in the mid 2010's has obviously made people more nostalgic of the past, especially in the 80's & 90's, where most of Vaporwave's influence comes from. Hence the rise in popularity of the genre, although to most casual music listeners and the general public, the genre remains pretty underground for the most part. Although, while not exactly Vaporwave, I'm noticing many pop songs are recently incorporating many 80's/90's beats in their songs such as 'Star Boy', 'Cheap Thrills', & '24K Magic', to name a few

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 12/19/16 at 8:24 pm

Another Great Jam!

7T6pgZdFLP0

Written By: Slim95 on 12/20/16 at 10:40 pm

It's nice but I don't think it will go mainstream. Everything that's good doesn't make it to the mainstream.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 12/20/16 at 11:19 pm

It's nice but I don't think it will go mainstream. Everything that's good doesn't make it to the mainstream.

Yeah I think you may be right. Although I don't see the actual Vaporwave genre ever becoming super-mainstream, I can realistically see some pop artists incorporate some of the aesthetics from Vaporwave in the near future.

Remember Vaporwave is a mixture of nostalgia (mainly 80's/90's) and modern techno, which is something many pop artists have already been doing for the last couple years. For instance, Meghan Trainor's first album was basically a huge homage to music from the 40's & 50's, while her most recent album has been a homage to the late 90's/early 00's. With nostalgia banking huge in recent years (and I personally suggest that'll continue with Trump becoming president ;D), I can see some of the aesthetics of Vaporwave being mainstream.

The genre itself would probably remain obscure to the general public though, but like Zelek said, the genre is definitely becoming more known to internet & social media users.

Written By: Looney Toon on 12/21/16 at 1:11 pm

Something I'd expect a hipster to say.  ;)

As for the subject of V A P O R W A V E it's a bit easy to see why it never become into the mainstream. Vaporwave is like listening to elevator/waiting room retro music that's been slowed down. Gives this eerie dream vibe to it. Not something that everyone wants or would understand. It lacks the things that most of the other genres have which is why most don't care for the genre and see it as basically internet meme music. Also wasn't this genre involved with some anti-capitalist movement? Always found this part to be strange and somewhat random.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 12/23/16 at 8:43 pm

As for the subject of V A P O R W A V E it's a bit easy to see why it never become into the mainstream. Vaporwave is like listening to elevator/waiting room retro music that's been slowed down. Gives this eerie dream vibe to it. Not something that everyone wants or would understand. It lacks the things that most of the other genres have which is why most don't care for the genre and see it as basically internet meme music.

IDK about that, especially with politics and world events becoming more turbulent by the day, I think what this music allows for people is an escape. Once again, I agree I don't think the genre itself would become mainstream, but various aesthetics from the genre could realistically pop up more into music.

Also wasn't this genre involved with some anti-capitalist movement? Always found this part to be strange and somewhat random.

From what I heard its sort of a mixture between anti capitalism and pro capitalism. You could read more here; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaporwave

As it says in the article, it seems like various TV channels like MTV have already incorporated elements of the Vaporwave & Seapunk subcultures in their re-marketing.

Written By: Looney Toon on 12/31/16 at 8:26 pm

IDK about that, especially with politics and world events becoming more turbulent by the day, I think what this music allows for people is an escape. Once again, I agree I don't think the genre itself would become mainstream, but various aesthetics from the genre could realistically pop up more into music.

From what I heard its sort of a mixture between anti capitalism and pro capitalism. You could read more here; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaporwave

As it says in the article, it seems like various TV channels like MTV have already incorporated elements of the Vaporwave & Seapunk subcultures in their re-marketing.

Actually from some articles and videos I've seen there Vaporwave elements may end up leaking into future music and culture according to this video.
-WNrjWSJwf8&t

And take a read at this article.
http://www.esquire.com/entertainment/music/a47793/what-happened-to-vaporwave/

The article mentions how the genre is supposed to be "dead" yet it really isn't as some of its elements continues to leak on into some mainstream music and other bits of culture. Add that with the fact that even some big music producers and writers even know of Vaporwave and you got yourself a very interesting genre. Heck Vaporwave have gotten so big that it spawned subgenres such as Future Funk and Hypnagogic.

This is a complete stretch, but if Vaporwave continues to live on and even give more influence in other parts of culture I wouldn't be surprised for it to be one of common aesthetics of the late 2010s/2020s. I'd actually love for something like Future Funk to become more mainstream.

Speaking of Future Funk here are some nice music vids.
ic2d-1xVkkItbWS0j2fulY&t

Great now I've gained yet ANOTHER Vaporwave obsession. I wonder how long this will last. But anyways like the video I've posted asked do you think Vaporwave may end up being the music of the future (or at least one of the big influences in the future of music)? If it is then I'm shockingly okay with that.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 12/31/16 at 10:56 pm

Actually from some articles and videos I've seen there Vaporwave elements may end up leaking into future music and culture according to this video.
-WNrjWSJwf8&t

And take a read at this article.
http://www.esquire.com/entertainment/music/a47793/what-happened-to-vaporwave/

The article mentions how the genre is supposed to be "dead" yet it really isn't as some of its elements continues to leak on into some mainstream music and other bits of culture. Add that with the fact that even some big music producers and writers even know of Vaporwave and you got yourself a very interesting genre. Heck Vaporwave have gotten so big that it spawned subgenres such as Future Funk and Hypnagogic.

This is a complete stretch, but if Vaporwave continues to live on and even give more influence in other parts of culture I wouldn't be surprised for it to be one of common aesthetics of the late 2010s/2020s. I'd actually love for something like Future Funk to become more mainstream.

Speaking of Future Funk here are some nice music vids.
ic2d-1xVkkItbWS0j2fulY&t

Great now I've gained yet ANOTHER Vaporwave obsession. I wonder how long this will last. But anyways like the video I've posted asked do you think Vaporwave may end up being the music of the future (or at least one of the big influences in the future of music)? If it is then I'm shockingly okay with that.

Damn thats pretty interesting! If thats the case, as we've predicted, than I agree that would be a fresh take to pop/techno music!

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 12/31/16 at 10:58 pm

Another true A E S T H E T I C

UJsUpeXK6Jo

Written By: Looney Toon on 01/01/17 at 11:46 am

Another true A E S T H E T I C

UJsUpeXK6Jo

I swear listening to music within the Vaporwave Genres/Sub genres gives my body this strange feeling. It's funny as a lot of people who've listened to the genre has felt it too. For some it's nostagia due to growing up during the era that a lot of Vaporwave's influences originated from. But as someone who have never lived in the '80s Vaporwave gives me another feeling (although there are Vaporwave influences that have came form the '90s and early '00s which I suppose can connect with me). It's like if you were in surreal/psychedelic future full of a bunch of bright neon lights of purple, green, blue, pink, and yellow.......oh and you're in Japan for some unexplained reason. 

Something like this.
http://igloomag.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/2814-birth-of-a-new-day-animated.gif
https://media.giphy.com/media/Q1EITT4JVpAIw/giphy.gif
We could go on and on about Vaporwave's Aesthetic.

Damn thats pretty interesting! If thats the case, as we've predicted, than I agree that would be a fresh take to pop/techno music!

It is a fresh take. I'm interested in seeing how Vaporwave would further influence pop/techno music. The genre originated in the early 2010s and is still around in the late 2010s. I want to see if it can last into the 2020s. I'd figure that it would die due to it being a meme, but after looking at the community and the thousands upon thousands of tracks they've made, the genres influence on some mainstream artists (heck there are even books about the genre, and the fact that the genre has become big enough to birth its own set of subgenres I can see why the genre has lived for this long. If this keeps up the genre may never die (or at least not die anytime soon).

It also means something when a CRAP TON of Vaporwave relate videos on youtube are gaining 500,000 to 1+ million views on Youtube.

Written By: Shemp97 on 01/01/17 at 12:12 pm

Kinda OT but it seems the occurrence of city/country specific music genres may have died with the 00's. There doesn't seem to be any location definining genres anymore probably because of the popularity of social media.

You had UK grime in in early 00s, Seattle grunge in the early 90s, east coast v. west coast hip hop, New Orleans jazz, and Jamaican reggae in the 60s. But now all emerging genres seem to be primarily Internet-based.

Written By: Looney Toon on 01/01/17 at 12:21 pm

Kinda OT but it seems the occurrence of city/country specific music genres may have died with the 00's. There doesn't seem to be any location definining genres anymore probably because of the popularity of social media.

You had UK grime in in early 00s, Seattle grunge in the early 90s, east coast v. west coast hip hop, New Orleans jazz, and Jamaican reggae in the 60s. But now all emerging genres seem to be primarily Internet-based.

I don't have too much of an issue with this. Mainly due to the fact that the internet is international. A lot of music we have nowadays doesn't take influence from any specific regions, but rather culture and/or whatever they can think of. For example Electro Swing is popular in Europe, but EDM (Such as Chicago House) and Big Band Swing (the two things that Electro Swing is made from) are from the United States. Internet culture isn't blocked by cultural barriers that each region of the world has. Now with all that said the only true genre that is Internet based is Vaporwave as it's the only genre with no regional point of origin. All other genres aren't internet based as they don't take influence from the internet. The internet only acts as a platform that a lot of artists use to get their music out to many other people, but it's not what influences their music. You can have a specific song that is internet influenced, but the genre as a whole has taken influence from other things long before that specific internet-based song was made.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/01/17 at 6:27 pm

Well most of its influence is from the 80's, but it also ranges from the 70's, 90's, & a little bit of the early 00's.

It's very odd that it would touch the early 00s. Even the late 90s aren't even retro yet, let alone the early 00s. But so far the vaporwave tracks I heard had 80s elevator music.

Written By: BornIn86 on 01/01/17 at 7:39 pm

Anyone that appreciates Vaporwave should give Neon Indian's Vega Intl. Night School a listen.

T2U2vZyNjTk

Written By: Looney Toon on 01/02/17 at 12:08 pm

It's very odd that it would touch the early 00s. Even the late 90s aren't even retro yet, let alone the early 00s. But so far the vaporwave tracks I heard had 80s elevator music.

Yeah, what's funny is that Vaporwave is supposed to show some influences from the 70s, 80s, 90s, and early 00s. But to be honest I'm mainly just hearing 80s influences (and 70s if we're talking about Future Funk). The only 90s/early 00s influences I can think of is with the Aesthetic design of Vaporwave. So in short Vaporwave shows influence from the 70s-early 00s (as of 2017 anyways. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw more influences from up to the mid 00s by the time we reach 2020), but the sound of Vaporwave is from the 70s and 80s while the design of it is from the 90s and early 00s.

Listen to any Vaporwave track and you'll mainly just hear 70s/80s style sounds, but the visuals for the track are from the 90s/early 00s (and also 80s).

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 01/02/17 at 5:34 pm

The late 90's/early 00's are most certainly nostalgic now. 1997 was 20 years ago for goodness sakes! ;D The rest of the period is roughly 14-19 years old. Damn... when you put it that way it looks that makes me feel old :o

Anyone that appreciates Vaporwave should give Neon Indian's Vega Intl. Night School a listen.

T2U2vZyNjTk

I gave it a good listen and it was very good man! My favorite track on that record is probably The Glitzy Hive 8)

Yeah, what's funny is that Vaporwave is supposed to show some influences from the 70s, 80s, 90s, and early 00s. But to be honest I'm mainly just hearing 80s influences (and 70s if we're talking about Future Funk). The only 90s/early 00s influences I can think of is with the Aesthetic design of Vaporwave. So in short Vaporwave shows influence from the 70s-early 00s (as of 2017 anyways. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw more influences from up to the mid 00s by the time we reach 2020), but the sound of Vaporwave is from the 70s and 80s while the design of it is from the 90s and early 00s.

Listen to any Vaporwave track and you'll mainly just hear 70s/80s style sounds, but the visuals for the track are from the 90s/early 00s (and also 80s).

THIS. Its style of music has a funky late 70's/early 80's feel to it. But at the same time its visual art has a 90's/early 00's vibe going on, something you'd find on KidPix or various 90's era graphic arts. While of course still keeping things fresh by adding modern elements in the songs.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 01/02/17 at 5:46 pm

These are examples of where Vaporwave gets its visual influence from:

http://41.media.tumblr.com/18fae8ea469698842d05cfd5c80c72dc/tumblr_mz5abzDq3S1rh9a7mo1_500.jpg

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/517c0a2be4b0d5eb59dbd468/t/51c4f9e9e4b001e973451f69/1371863529684/%E2%80%A2+Kid+Pix+Box+Picture+copy.jpg

http://www.guidebookgallery.org/pics/gui/startupshutdown/splash/win95-1-1.png

http://www.coverbrowser.com/image/misc-games/5708-1.jpg

http://romhustler.net/img/screenshots/genesis/title/53e69dff7192a.png

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/f7/df/56/f7df56f14bd42fcf17a152e25bb60624.jpg

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/L4jvkhxCflw/hqdefault.jpg

http://www.vintagecomputing.com/wp-content/images/pcmag/headtrip_small.jpg

http://images.nintendolife.com/news/2016/05/random_solving_the_mystery_of_the_super_smash_bros_melee_lost_stage/large.jpg

http://orig15.deviantart.net/683f/f/2011/210/a/6/nintendo_64_logo_gif_2_by_artchell-d420di6.gif

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/8A4pHjMvp4E/maxresdefault.jpg

http://attackoftheandroids.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/clippy.png

Written By: Slim95 on 01/02/17 at 6:02 pm

The late 90's/early 00's are most certainly nostalgic now. 1997 was 20 years ago for goodness sakes! ;D The rest of the period is roughly 14-19 years old. Damn... when you put it that way it looks that makes me feel old :o

It is not retro yet. Only things that are 20 years ago are considered retro. Early 2000s retroness will not come until 2020, still way too early.

Written By: Looney Toon on 01/02/17 at 6:44 pm

It is not retro yet. Only things that are 20 years ago are considered retro. Early 2000s retroness will not come until 2020, still way too early.

I think this is where the line between nostalgia and retro becomes noticeable. Retro usually falls into the 20 years ago rule, but nostalgia usually happens a bit earlier. So while 1997 the only retro year from the late 90s/early 00s era the rest of the years (1998-2002/3) still somehow ended up in people's nostalgia with comebacks in things like fashion and music.  It's quite strange. The year 2000 isn't retro yet, but it's easy to see why people would be nostalgic for a year that started 17 years ago.

THIS. Its style of music has a funky late 70's/early 80's feel to it. But at the same time its visual art has a 90's/early 00's vibe going on, something you'd find on KidPix or various 90's era graphic arts. While of course still keeping things fresh by adding modern elements in the songs.

Yeah, like that. I'm quite curious on what Vaporwave will be like when this decade reaches its end, however. For example classic style Vaporwave (the original style of just getting 80s elevator style music and slowing it down, changing its pitch, and chopping up and mixing samples) isn't made as much as it was in the early 2010s. Now the current style is what is known as Hypnagogic Vaporwave (basically newer style of main Vaporwave) which is basically like the classic style with some funky elements to it. But aside from the music I'm curious on how the aesthetic and stuff will continue on. Maybe a newer era of aesthetic style would be created.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/02/17 at 6:51 pm

I think this is where the line between nostalgia and retro becomes noticeable. Retro usually falls into the 20 years ago rule, but nostalgia usually happens a bit earlier. So while 1997 the only retro year from the late 90s/early 00s era the rest of the years (1998-2002/3) still somehow ended up in people's nostalgia with comebacks in things like fashion and music.  It's quite strange. The year 2000 isn't retro yet, but it's easy to see why people would be nostalgic for a year that started 17 years ago.

The late 90s and early 2000s are not one single era. They are two distinct eras.

I agree retro and nostalgia are different. You can be nostalgic for any period you want really. There are many these days who are nostalgic for the 2000s, especially younger people. But remember the late 90s and early 2000s are separate, they should not be combined in any way.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 01/02/17 at 7:04 pm

The late 90s and early 2000s are not one single era. They are two distinct eras.

I agree retro and nostalgia are different. You can be nostalgic for any period you want really. There are many these days who are nostalgic for the 2000s, especially younger people. But remember the late 90s and early 2000s are separate, they should not be combined in any way.

Eh... not too sure about that. Not to bring up 'decadeology' in the conversation but the period from 1998-2003 is what most consider the 'Millennium' period. Aka, distinct from the core 90's (1992-1998 era) & the core 00's (2003/4-2008 era). It was when 90's culture was gradually phasing out and 00's culture was gradually phasing in. Assuming you were born in 95? Your childhood was closer (culturally speaking) to an 8 year old in 1999 watching Pokemon, rather than to an 8 year old in 2007 watching Ben 10, if that makes any sense.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 01/02/17 at 7:06 pm

However FWIW I agree that 20 year is the limit on when something officially becomes retro. Me & Looney Tune were just saying that the entire era is already nostalgic to most people who grew up in it. Heck its 14-19 years old, almost within the retro realm.

Written By: BornIn86 on 01/02/17 at 8:05 pm

I gave it a good listen and it was very good man! My favorite track on that record is probably The Glitzy Hive 8)

I can't even find a favorite. So many good songs on that album.

I think vaporwave is best when people really experiment with it and make it poppier or at least more eventful than the chopped and screwed stuff we all know about.

NXfpwegjT78

jBhR06mD2T0

k_yDHpDEdAI

m27XBZ_TQuc

Written By: Zelek3 on 01/02/17 at 9:57 pm

So in short Vaporwave shows influence from the 70s-early 00s (as of 2017 anyways. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw more influences from up to the mid 00s by the time we reach 2020), but the sound of Vaporwave is from the 70s and 80s while the design of it is from the 90s and early 00s.

I think Vaporwave artists will just do what every-damn-one else is doing: take influences from 2004 and 2005, maybe 2006, pop culture and lump them into "early 2000s", so you get a nice even 5/6-year chunk to get nostalgic for, then never go anywhere past that.

Most people don't realize this, but thanks to YouTube, Tumblr, Buzzfeed, etc. the mid 2000s have been genetically spliced together with the early 2000s to form one Frankenstein monster that is simply called "early 2000s", much to Jordan's horror.

Written By: BornIn86 on 01/03/17 at 4:41 am

I think Vaporwave artists will just do what every-damn-one else is doing: take influences from 2004 and 2005, maybe 2006, pop culture and lump them into "early 2000s", so you get a nice even 5/6-year chunk to get nostalgic for, then never go anywhere past that.

Most people don't realize this, but thanks to YouTube, Tumblr, Buzzfeed, etc. the mid 2000s have been genetically spliced together with the early 2000s to form one Frankenstein monster that is simply called "early 2000s", much to Jordan's horror.

I was in my own little world during the mid 2000s. I was listening to nothing but Mars Volta, Mahavishnu Orchestra, and Mr. Bungle and their stylistic contemporaries.

The mid-late or late 2000s didn't feel like late 2000s to me until Paper Planes, Justice's D.A.N.C.E and Electric Feel rolled around. Then Single Ladies, Poker Face and I Kissed a Girl came and the late 2000s was unmistakable.

Written By: BornIn86 on 01/03/17 at 5:00 am

Final Neon Indian promoting on this thread but this video is super IRL Vaporwave inspired.

eb4UcIZMhw8

Written By: Looney Toon on 01/03/17 at 11:40 am

I think vaporwave is best when people really experiment with it and make it poppier or at least more eventful than the chopped and screwed stuff we all know about.

Well BornIn86, you're in luck! Vaporwave has quite a few sub genres. The genre that is more poppier and funky is Future Funk which is a subgenre of Vaporwave. Heck you already linked a Future Funk song in your post. What's nice about Future Funk is that many have said that it's the genre basically makes Vaporwave a bit more accessible to the mainstream audience. So for people who don't listen to Vaporwave due to how slow and eerie it sounds they can always try Future Funk which is more funky and dance-able.

INck6oc6xaUnLuGayBTrOo
UJsUpeXK6Jo&t=1269stbWS0j2fulY&t=1141sCCecdVTTTh4&t=547s2N0T2ghW44o

Future Funk, Hypnagogic, Classic Style, FutureVision, VaporTrop, and Mallsoft are all sub genres of Vaporwave. However, I like Future Funk and Hypnagogic the most.

Written By: BornIn86 on 01/03/17 at 7:36 pm

Well BornIn86, you're in luck! Vaporwave has quite a few sub genres. The genre that is more poppier and funky is Future Funk which is a subgenre of Vaporwave. Heck you already linked a Future Funk song in your post. What's nice about Future Funk is that many have said that it's the genre basically makes Vaporwave a bit more accessible to the mainstream audience. So for people who don't listen to Vaporwave due to how slow and eerie it sounds they can always try Future Funk which is more funky and dance-able.

INck6oc6xaUnLuGayBTrOo

Future Funk, Hypnagogic, Classic Style, FutureVision, VaporTrop, and Mallsoft are all sub genres of Vaporwave. However, I like Future Funk and Hypnagogic the most.

I didn't even know there were subgenres of Vaporwave. Thanks for the enlightening.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 01/05/17 at 10:43 pm

Well as of right now it seems that Vaporwave is consistent in only getting musical influences from the 70's, 80's, & 90's and visual influences from the 90's & early 00's. I have yet to see a Vaporwave track having visual art of a myspace page yet or the PS3 Xross Home Media Bar ;D

However, eventually the entire aughts are gonna be seen in a more nostalgic light, to the point in which more people would stop labeling the entire decade as 'early' and simply as the 2000's or noughties, or whatever. 90's nostalgia began to take form on internet culture in 2005 or so (I've seen inthe00's forums dating back to 2005 talking about the 90's in a nostalgic light, albeit the 'early' 90's, in which sometimes 1994 was included). I didn't get big to the general public until around 2008 or so. I suspect 2000's nostalgia to do the same within the next couple years as the later 2000's start to feel more dated. (Can you believe 2007 is already 10 years ago!? :o)

Final Neon Indian promoting on this thread but this video is super IRL Vaporwave inspired.

eb4UcIZMhw8

Yeah I listened to it and it was pretty good!

INck6oc6xaUnLuGayBTrOo

LOL never even knew there were subgenres :o. I guess at of all I've listened so far, FutureFunk seems to be my favorite. It has a hip late 70's/early 80's vibe (like I'm about to watch an episode of The Muppets ;D) while also having enough modern traits that makes the song enjoyable to listen to.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 01/05/17 at 10:46 pm

Also going back to musical influences but doesn't this new ad campaign give off an 80's vibe?

Gh-XodXyLpQ

Also damn I haven't heard anything from LMFAO for like 5 years.

Written By: BornIn86 on 01/05/17 at 11:16 pm

Also going back to musical influences but doesn't this new ad campaign give off a

Also damn I haven't heard anything from LMFAO for like 5 years.

The only good thing I remember coming out of LMFAO was the shots song and thats only because it gave me and friends an excuse to do this
e0nWySStZbM

The commercial and song was meh but the a e s t h e t i c reminded me of Ford and Lopatin's Channel Pressure cover art (the video on the top left). If only the right music matched with the design.

G2xgwpa3yLs qcAkjVKf2Ck

jLyvYdS76Nk

Ford and Lopatin used to be called Games and they made a song with Laurel Halo, another experimental musician. It's my favorite song from them.

5scYXIvAr7w

Written By: Slim95 on 01/05/17 at 11:21 pm

Well as of right now it seems that Vaporwave is consistent in only getting musical influences from the 70's, 80's, & 90's and visual influences from the 90's & early 00's. I have yet to see a Vaporwave track having visual art of a myspace page yet or the PS3 Xross Home Media Bar ;D

However, eventually the entire aughts are gonna be seen in a more nostalgic light, to the point in which more people would stop labeling the entire decade as 'early' and simply as the 2000's or noughties, or whatever. 90's nostalgia began to take form on internet culture in 2005 or so (I've seen inthe00's forums dating back to 2005 talking about the 90's in a nostalgic light, albeit the 'early' 90's, in which sometimes 1994 was included). I didn't get big to the general public until around 2008 or so. I suspect 2000's nostalgia to do the same within the next couple years as the later 2000's start to feel more dated. (Can you believe 2007 is already 10 years ago!? :o)

There was some 90s backlash before 2008 as well. Because I distinctly remember me and my brother in 2007 refusing to wear these shorts of some kind and said it looked like it was from the 90s. I remember throughout the 2000s decade people thought things from the 90s (at least fashion) was old and uncool. Not sure if anyone else had a similar experience.

Written By: BornIn86 on 01/05/17 at 11:28 pm

There was some 90s backlash before 2008 as well. Because I distinctly remember me and my brother in 2007 refusing to wear these shorts of some kind and said it looked like it was from the 90s. I remember throughout the 2000s decade people thought things from the 90s (at least fashion) was old and uncool. Not sure if anyone else had a similar experience.

That's how it's supposed to be in my opinion. The last decade is supposed to be embarrassing. The nostalgia is supposed to kick in the decade after next. It is WAAAY too early for 2000s nostalgia. I'm very much against the rise of Meghan Trainor.  How people wax poetic about the 2000s now is evidence of how close we are to the end newness.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 01/05/17 at 11:42 pm

The only good thing I remember coming out of LMFAO was the shots song and thats only because it gave me and friends an excuse to do this
e0nWySStZbM

I liked LMFAO because of the fact that they were unique and different during a time when music became pretty homogenous. Looking back though, I agree that there have been better music since then.

The commercial and song was meh but the a e s t h e t i c reminded me of Ford and Lopatin's Channel Pressure cover art (the video on the top left). If only the right music matched with the design.

G2xgwpa3yLs
qcAkjVKf2Ck

jLyvYdS76Nk

Ford and Lopatin used to be called Games and they made a song with Laurel Halo, another experimental musician. It's my favorite song from them.

5scYXIvAr7w

I gave it a good listen and it was pretty dope :D. I like the mixture of emotions of the song ranging from melancholy to glitzy. That's the thing with techno music I like a good balance between soberness and happiness. Songs that feel to melodramatic don't give me that a e s t h e t i c feeling, you know what I'm sayin'? I think this is a perfect example of a song thats too jumpy for my taste

x5aWfkm-h6A

Yeah I remember for most of my childhood that the 90's was just considered 'recent' history, similar in regards to the 2000's today. However in similar relation towards today with the early 00's (even though 2004 & sometimes 2005 are considered in that blanket statement), Early 90's nostalgia was most certainly starting become common around the mid-late 2000's though, it wasn't a taboo. The launch of YouTube channels like AVGN in 2006 for instance, in which his entire mantra was ripping to shreds things he grew up with in the 80's and early 90's, was evidenced of that.

Written By: aja675 on 01/08/17 at 5:03 am

My personal experience was that suddenly in 2009, after a couple of years of thinking of the '90s were not that new, but not that old either, people were finding the '90s old.

Written By: Looney Toon on 01/08/17 at 12:25 pm

Man, I love listening to Future Funk. A great way of reviving interesting in the late 70s/ early 80s Post Disco/Funk sounds while also making them sound modern so the people of today can find interest in them. As mentioned before is that Vaporwave (and its sub genres) is the first genre to have internet origin and not any regional origin. What's interesting about this is that the internet holds info on both things old and new. It makes it possible for people to discover old things and gain ideas from the past while also keeping up to date with the present. This is great for music because it allows for people to look back at older decades and see the music genres that were once popular and ended up dying. Internet fixes this since it allows for people to make get the outdated genres and update them (this is why how we ended up with Electro Swing which brought back the sound of 1930s/1940s Big Band Swing Jazz music and updated. This is what sparked the Electro Swing scene and the genre is pretty popular on the internet and in regions such as Europe). Vaporwave has the same potential as Electro Swing (already interesting when mainstream media takes notice of Vaporwave and even influences some musicians). Heck even MTV used the Vaporwave aesthetic.

iAaInjzznVQ
https://d1t6gdblzuqy70.cloudfront.net/content/uploads/2015/06/MTV_Premium_Collage_300DPI_IAM-1002x564.jpg

This move from MTV has been met with criticism as people saw this MTV trying to stay relevant yet also not truly understanding the themes/ideas of Vaporwave and community behind it.

All Vaporwave needs is just a little push forward and it would take part in the mainstream (this is predicted to be the case by the 2020s as by then Internet Culture would be synonymous with Real World Pop Culture....kinda freaky in all honestly). I wouldn't mind listening to music like this.
WYvji5AXOfk
This song/video blends late 70s/early 80s Post Disco & Funk with modern day internet edits and sounds. Looks old, but could also pass as recent. I sure do love the internet.

Also just a funny though, but a lot of decades tend to have a pop cultural aesthetic. Wonder if late 2010s-2020s Aesthetic would take cues from Vaporwave. I'm not entirely sure if this is the case, but to be honest there are a lot of Aesthetic styles that we have today that I didn't think would become popular. And unlike how it used to be for most of the 20th century the 21st century doesn't have uniform pop culture. It's rather a bunch of Pop cultural fragments.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 01/14/17 at 1:16 pm

Man, I love listening to Future Funk. A great way of reviving interesting in the late 70s/ early 80s Post Disco/Funk sounds while also making them sound modern so the people of today can find interest in them. As mentioned before is that Vaporwave (and its sub genres) is the first genre to have internet origin and not any regional origin. What's interesting about this is that the internet holds info on both things old and new. It makes it possible for people to discover old things and gain ideas from the past while also keeping up to date with the present. This is great for music because it allows for people to look back at older decades and see the music genres that were once popular and ended up dying. Internet fixes this since it allows for people to make get the outdated genres and update them (this is why how we ended up with Electro Swing which brought back the sound of 1930s/1940s Big Band Swing Jazz music and updated. This is what sparked the Electro Swing scene and the genre is pretty popular on the internet and in regions such as Europe). Vaporwave has the same potential as Electro Swing (already interesting when mainstream media takes notice of Vaporwave and even influences some musicians).

I agree, this is probably my favorite subgenre within the Vaporwave space! One of my favorites is this:

INck6oc6xaU

iAaInjzznVQ
https://d1t6gdblzuqy70.cloudfront.net/content/uploads/2015/06/MTV_Premium_Collage_300DPI_IAM-1002x564.jpg

This move from MTV has been met with criticism as people saw this MTV trying to stay relevant yet also not truly understanding the themes/ideas of Vaporwave and community behind it. All Vaporwave needs is just a little push forward and it would take part in the mainstream (this is predicted to be the case by the 2020s as by then Internet Culture would be synonymous with Real World Pop Culture....kinda freaky in all honestly). I wouldn't mind listening to music like this.
WYvji5AXOfk
This song/video blends late 70s/early 80s Post Disco & Funk with modern day internet edits and sounds. Looks old, but could also pass as recent. I sure do love the internet.

Also just a funny though, but a lot of decades tend to have a pop cultural aesthetic. Wonder if late 2010s-2020s Aesthetic would take cues from Vaporwave. I'm not entirely sure if this is the case, but to be honest there are a lot of Aesthetic styles that we have today that I didn't think would become popular. And unlike how it used to be for most of the 20th century the 21st century doesn't have uniform pop culture. It's rather a bunch of Pop cultural fragments.

Yeah from the like/dislike ration on YouTube I could tell lol! But (despite) the move, its proof that Vaporwave is starting to become mainstream. To Vaporwave purists this is a horrible thing, but perhaps you're on to something. By the 2020's, I wouldn't mind jamming out to tracks like this on the radio, heck its about time to shake things up musically because like most people on this forum I feel like we've been pretty stagnant for the last few years or so.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 01/14/17 at 1:20 pm

Also this video is pretty hilarious

wyt_87yCyNw

Also pretty surprising that this video now has 1 million views

Written By: Zelek3 on 01/14/17 at 1:22 pm

Hey Zelda, sorry to bug you but can you respond to my PM?

Written By: Zelek3 on 01/14/17 at 1:29 pm

Also this video is pretty hilarious

wyt_87yCyNw

Also pretty surprising that this video now has 1 million views

A weird thing I noticed with Vaporwave videos is that some of them have up to like 3 million views, yet at times there are only like 50 comments!

It makes the videos seem just as eerie as the music contained within is...

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 01/14/17 at 1:32 pm

A weird thing I noticed with Vaporwave videos is that some of them have up to like 3 million views, yet at times there are only like 50 comments!

It makes the videos seem just as eerie as the music contained within is...

THAT'S THE WEIRD MYSTERY LOL! But in all seriousness I noticed in the video I posted the guy only had 180k subscribers. Pretty weird but its whatever.

Written By: Zelek3 on 01/14/17 at 1:35 pm

THAT'S THE WEIRD MYSTERY LOL! But in all seriousness I noticed in the video I posted the guy only had 180k subscribers. Pretty weird but its whatever.

I'm not talking about videos like the one you posted however, that one has a fairly expected amount of comments to go along with the view count.

I'm talking about ones like the Simpsonwave videos. They have a million views or close to it/above it, but other than "Sunday School", they only have like 50 comments which is much less than you'd expect for a widely-viewed video.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 01/14/17 at 1:35 pm

Other how to videos by this prophet!

gfYPH9ejRu891jVZAfIgu4
0XMqZ6gOOHwpEQMmJdYJ0g

I'm not talking about videos like the one you posted however, that one has a fairly expected amount of comments to go along with the view count.

I'm talking about ones like the Simpsonwave videos. They have a million views or close to it/above it, but other than "Sunday School", they only have like 50 comments which is much less than you'd expect for a widely-viewed video.

You mind if you show me an example?

Written By: Zelek3 on 01/14/17 at 1:42 pm

You mind if you show me an example?

Back when the Simpsonwave videos were just getting popular, I remember them having nearly a million views each, yet only having about 50 comments each.

Now I look at those sections and it seems like the number of comments has increased to a level of "normalcy", but trust me that it used to be different, lol.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 01/14/17 at 1:45 pm

Back when the Simpsonwave videos were just getting popular, I remember them having nearly a million views each, yet only having about 50 comments each.

Now I look at those sections and it seems like the number of comments has increased to a level of "normalcy", but trust me that it used to be different, lol.

That's weird. The reason I ask is because sometimes people would buy money for views. A classic way to tell is if a video allegedly has 1 million views, but only 50 comments.

Written By: Zelek3 on 01/14/17 at 1:47 pm

That's weird. The reason I ask is because sometimes people would buy money for views. A classic way to tell is if a video allegedly has 1 million views, but only 50 comments.

A notable example of this is those "Hey Kids" spam videos on YouTube, which are really quite creepy.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 01/14/17 at 2:07 pm

A notable example of this is those "Hey Kids" spam videos on YouTube, which are really quite creepy.

Never seen them before. Are they supposed to be meant for kids? I've seen some creepy videos for kids before like this one:

AJMroLNw2rw

Written By: Looney Toon on 01/14/17 at 7:02 pm

1 Million+ Views yet around 50 comments. That is a bit eerie. Although I don't know what's funnier. The fact that Vaporwave has become to big that there our countless tracks with around 1 million views or the fact that out of the million viewers less than 100 decided to comment.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 01/14/17 at 7:10 pm

Never seen them before. Are they supposed to be meant for kids? I've seen some creepy videos for kids before like this one:

AJMroLNw2rw

It's actually sad that most kids today actually buy into this crap. I've seen silent movies that have more plot than this, to be honest.

Written By: BornIn86 on 01/15/17 at 12:20 am

FrankJayCee actually makes great productions. I just hate his vocals and rapping. He's pretty talented and funny tho.

8QRAvVQTn5g 2h0qzlP5Y3w

Written By: Looney Toon on 01/17/17 at 10:48 am

This song sounds like what Bruno Mars has been doing for a while.

It does somewhat. I'm not sure how long Bruno had been making songs in the late 70s and early 80s style, but I think it coincides with the creation of Future Funk.

If there is one thing that know people will always love it's funky dance music. It's a bit interesting as you can almost see where music is going.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 01/17/17 at 3:27 pm

This song sounds like what Bruno Mars has been doing for a while.

Fun fact of the day: The Kid in the Red Coat dancing in the commercial is Alfonso Ribeiro!

The sexy beast himself:

http://s3.amazonaws.com/rapgenius/carltonbanks.jpg

Written By: Looney Toon on 01/23/17 at 6:54 pm

Welp! I'm not sure if anyone discovered this, but in late 2016 there has been news that in Miami a Vaporwave Mall is being built. No joke! Look it up. Some are excited. Others aren't so happy (since it goes against what Vaporwave is about). I for one am interested in seeing how this turns out. If the Vaporwave genre continues to grow and spread then it could very well be a huge part of future pop culture.

To celebrate I must consume some more Vaporwave.
U0Ahqg3QORc

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 01/23/17 at 7:01 pm

Welp! I'm not sure if anyone discovered this, but in late 2016 there has been news that in Miami a Vaporwave Mall is being built. No joke! Look it up. Some are excited. Others aren't so happy (since it goes against what Vaporwave is about). I for one am interested in seeing how this turns out. If the Vaporwave genre continues to grow and spread then it could very well be a huge part of future pop culture.

Yeah I've heard about it! Personally as a casual fan Vaporwave, it sounds pretty lit and I'd definitely check it out. But I agree, it essentially goes against the core anti-capitalist message of the genre, so hardcore fans wouldn't dare touch that place with a ten foot pole ;D

Written By: Looney Toon on 01/23/17 at 7:06 pm

Yeah I've heard about it! Personally as a casual fan Vaporwave, it sounds pretty lit and I'd definitely check it out. But I agree, it essentially goes against the core anti-capitalist message of the genre, so hardcore fans wouldn't dare touch that place with a ten foot pole ;D

The hardcore fans can dislike it all they want. But I'd love to see it. What is interesting is the fact that there are a lot of people who don't know what Vaporwave is. So they aren't aware of it leaking into pop culture. We see Vaporwave as this dreamy music with a funky aesthetic that gives off an anti capitalism message. But to the normal individual Vaporwave would be this natural change in pop culture. Imagine what it would be like to be a kid who grew up in a world where Vaporwave has given big influence to pop culture. Malls, Grocery Stores, hit songs, fashion, TV etc.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 01/23/17 at 7:11 pm

The hardcore fans can dislike it all they want. But I'd love to see it. What is interesting is the fact that there are a lot of people who don't know what Vaporwave is. So they aren't aware of it leaking into pop culture. We see Vaporwave as this dreamy music with a funky aesthetic that gives off an anti capitalism message. But to the normal individual Vaporwave would be this natural change in pop culture. Imagine what it would be like to be a kid who grew up in a world where Vaporwave has given big influence to pop culture. Malls, Grocery Stores, hit songs, fashion, TV etc.

Yep I agree brother! Honestly at this point I want to shake up pop culture. It seems so stagnant and dry since 2013 or so. Annoying ass Teen Pop, Trash rap, uninspiring EDM :P. At least the electronoic music of the 2000's & early 2010's had character and style, but electro music now just seems dry in comparison. So if it means more innovation, heck I'm all for it, along with the visual aesthetics of Vaporwave starting to get big as we speak! Btw this is the article right here:

http://www.factmag.com/2016/09/23/first-ever-vaporwave-mall-miami/

Also I love Midnight Television! Hands down one of my favorite Vaporwave tracks :D :D :D

Out of all of the songs on that album I think this one's the best 8)

FPq5wsMn7JU

There's also an alternative version of the song that sounds pretty good too!

pyTBX7s0J-o

Written By: Looney Toon on 01/23/17 at 7:21 pm

Yep I agree brother! Honestly at this point I want to shake up pop culture. It seems so stagnant and dry since 2013 or so. Annoying ass Teen Pop, Trash rap, uninspiring EDM :P. At least the electronoic music of the 2000's & early 2010's had character and style, but electro music now just seems dry in comparison. So if it means more innovation, heck I'm all for it, along with the visual aesthetics of Vaporwave starting to get big as we speak! Btw this is the article right here:

http://www.factmag.com/2016/09/23/first-ever-vaporwave-mall-miami/

I think the issue is that music today doesn't have much in terms of style. Just artists using the same templates/ideas for their songs. Rap in the 2010s is just terrible. EDM is still somewhat decent, but it depends on where you look. But yeah before electronic dance music had style (for the most part anyways). Vaporwave is interesting as it also has its conflicts of style/blandness. The well known Vaporwave albums and artists are remembered well due to their good styles. Vektroid, Saint Pepsi, Macross 82-99, Yung Bae etc. The bland Vaporwave songs tend to be ignored I see.

Also I love Midnight Television! Hands down one of my favorite Vaporwave tracks :D :D :D

Out of all of the songs on that album I think this one's the best 8)

FPq5wsMn7JU

pyTBX7s0J-o

YEAH BOI! Love me that Saint Pepsi Future Funk music. The music is so lively, colorful, and dreamlike. This is how I want music to be like in the future (not all music has to be this way, but I'd love for electronic music to be like this). Upbeat tempo and dreamy imagery is what appeals to me.

Written By: Zelek3 on 01/23/17 at 7:37 pm

pyTBX7s0J-o

I hate to indulge in generationology... but could the "82-99" in the album's title refer to, dare I say it, the semi-commonly used year span of Millennials? :P I mean, they/we're the most nostalgic generation, so it would make a whole lot of sense.

Written By: Looney Toon on 01/23/17 at 7:48 pm

I hate to indulge in generationology... but could the "82-99" in the album's title refer to, dare I say it, the semi-commonly used year span of Millennials? :P I mean, they/we're the most nostalgic generation, so it would make a whole lot of sense.

Hey Hey! None of that generation nonsense in here! But to answer your question the 82-99 doesn't refer to the span of millennials. I think it was that it's named the anime series Macross. It was first released in 1982, and the story happens in 1999. Vaporwave artists tend to have weird names to be honest. Goes with the Vaporwave idea.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 01/24/17 at 3:21 pm

I think the issue is that music today doesn't have much in terms of style. Just artists using the same templates/ideas for their songs. Rap in the 2010s is just terrible. EDM is still somewhat decent, but it depends on where you look. But yeah before electronic dance music had style (for the most part anyways). Vaporwave is interesting as it also has its conflicts of style/blandness. The well known Vaporwave albums and artists are remembered well due to their good styles. Vektroid, Saint Pepsi, Macross 82-99, Yung Bae etc. The bland Vaporwave songs tend to be ignored I see.

I agree! I like EDM, lets make that clear, but the genre seems to have stagnated in all honesty. A lot of the modern mid 2010's styles began to get big in 2013 (Harlem Shake, Turn Down For What, etc.) and was pretty fun to listen to. However by 2016 or so the genre seemed to just become monotonous and dry. I discovered Vaporwave around Late 2015 and I've been hooked ever since lol!

YEAH BOI! Love me that Saint Pepsi Future Funk music. The music is so lively, colorful, and dreamlike. This is how I want music to be like in the future (not all music has to be this way, but I'd love for electronic music to be like this). Upbeat tempo and dreamy imagery is what appeals to me.

I agree, another example to why Future Funk is the sh!t 8)!

Another good jam is this:

Jo4K7v8zQ9o

I just love the futuristic sound of this album and of course the futuristic vibe coming from Shibuya as the artwork! & OMG, that Epic Jazz solo in the beginning,

A  T R U E  A E S T H E T I C

IDK if that was his purpose, however on the topic of generations I don't think its a coincidence that Vaporwave seems to have so far be a huge phenomenon among the Millennial generation. It mixes the things that Millennials find nostalgic (8/16 Bit Sounds, Dial Up Noises, 90's era Kid Pix as visual art, etc.) with the new. However, perhaps this phenomenon would continue to be influential to all generations. And as most people generally agree, youth culture seems to be transitioning to Gen Z at the moment, so this genre could be pretty popular with the generation if you think about it.

Written By: musicguy93 on 01/25/17 at 7:33 pm

I agree! I like EDM, lets make that clear, but the genre seems to have stagnated in all honesty. A lot of the modern mid 2010's styles began to get big in 2013 (Harlem Shake, Turn Down For What, etc.) and was pretty fun to listen to. However by 2016 or so the genre seemed to just become monotonous and dry. I discovered Vaporwave around Late 2015 and I've been hooked ever since lol!

I agree, another example to why Future Funk is the sh!t 8)!

Another good jam is this:

Jo4K7v8zQ9o

I just love the futuristic sound of this album and of course the futuristic vibe coming from Shibuya as the artwork! & OMG, that Epic Jazz solo in the beginning,

A  T R U E  A E S T H E T I C

IDK if that was his purpose, however on the topic of generations I don't think its a coincidence that Vaporwave seems to have so far be a huge phenomenon among the Millennial generation. It mixes the things that Millennials find nostalgic (8/16 Bit Sounds, Dial Up Noises, 90's era Kid Pix as visual art, etc.) with the new. However, perhaps this phenomenon would continue to be influential to all generations. And as most people generally agree, youth culture seems to be transitioning to Gen Z at the moment, so this genre could be pretty popular with the generation if you think about it.

Yeah it's possible that vaporwave could be more popular with Gen Z, if it does break out in the mainstream. To be honest though, I don't think most millennials (or most people in general, for that matter) know about vaporwave right now.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 01/25/17 at 8:20 pm

Yeah it's possible that vaporwave could be more popular with Gen Z, if it does break out in the mainstream. To be honest though, I don't think most millennials (or most people in general, for that matter) know about vaporwave right now.

Good point! I don't think Vaporwave is irrelevant within Millennials though, albeit younger Millennials that is. Most of my 20-something friends know what it is (heck it was them who introduced me to it). However, I do agree that the mass popularity of the genre, its sub genre, and the overall aesthetic and styles of the music would most likely reach mass acceptance with Gen Z. As stated before Gen Z youth culture is steadily taking over Millennial youth culture as more members become teens and thus start dictating the trends of the next decade. Gen Z is tech savvy, like Millennials, but 10xx more! So if anything the Vaporwave genre would have insane popularity as the years go by and more older Millennial fans and newer Gen Z fans help propel the movement.

BTW, whats your opinion on some of Vaporwave's subgenres?

Written By: Zelek3 on 01/25/17 at 8:23 pm

I think Gen Z likes Vaporwave because it's like half-remembered wisps of a culture they weren't quite old enough to understand but couldn't help internalizing.

I mean, a lot of elementary/middle schools still had those "aesthetic"-looking computers and technology(Windows 95/98/2000/XP, candy-color iMacs, etc.) until like 2010, some even still have them now. Especially if they have low funding. So I wouldn't be surprised if a 14 year old is familiar with all/most of the stuff Vaporwave is referencing.

Written By: BornIn86 on 01/25/17 at 9:15 pm

I like vaporwave in part because it takes me back to the culture of my youngest childhood before the mid 90s toned down the weird tackiness of the late 80s/early 90s and morphed into the shiny, boy band obsessed - faux dark nu metal - glam rap late 90s.

Plus a lot of vaporwave takes its cues from the music played during 90s weather channel which I enjoyed listening to when I was young.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 01/25/17 at 9:25 pm

I think Gen Z likes Vaporwave because it's like half-remembered wisps of a culture they weren't quite old enough to understand but couldn't help internalizing.

I mean, a lot of elementary/middle schools still had those "aesthetic"-looking computers and technology(Windows 95/98/2000/XP, candy-color iMacs, etc.) until like 2010, some even still have them now. Especially if they have low funding. So I wouldn't be surprised if a 14 year old is familiar with all/most of the stuff Vaporwave is referencing.

I do agree with this. I could actually vouch for this as my middle school had those old school CRT PCs running on Windows 98 & ME upto about 2010 ;D. So yeah it wouldn't be far fetched for elementary/middle school students to have some relation to the 'old world'.

I like vaporwave in part because it takes me back to the culture of my youngest childhood before the mid 90s toned down the weird tackiness of the late 80s/early 90s and morphed into the shiny, boy band obsessed - faux dark nu metal - glam rap late 90s.

Plus a lot of vaporwave takes its cues from the music played during 90s weather channel which I enjoyed listening to when I was young.

Good point. I also notice that Vaporwave takes a lot of cues from Windows 95 software, be it sound effects, 90's era visual art, icons, etc. This is a good example of this:

FSGWddJ5Y9A

Written By: Looney Toon on 01/27/17 at 1:16 pm

I've noticed that a lot of Vaporwave users/artists aren't even alive during the eras that Vaporwave represents (either not born or very young). Heck, I've noticed that the big youtubers who use Vaporwave are in their late teens or early twenties. Take Saint Pepsi for example. He is well known for Future Funk, but Saint Pepsi was born in 1993 yet all his tracks are from the late 70s/early 80s. Vektroid (the person who made Macintosh 420 which helped grow Vaporwave into popularity) is a 1992 born yet the original track she used is from 1984. And I've also noticed that as of 2017 Vaporwave seems to turn away from the nostalgia and mainly just focus on the surrealism and wackiness of the genres. If you're in your 30s/40s I you may like Vaporwave for the Nostalgia, but for everyone who is a part of today's youth culture you mainly like it for the surrealism/wackiness of the genre. Vaporwave appeals to millennials or plurals, but for different reasons it seems. And it's funny that I see more plurals (and late millennials) talk about Vaporwave then older and core milllennials on the internet. Also take in consideration to for some older millennials Vaporwave is just a remixing genre. While to plurals Vaporwave sounds original due to never growing up with the original songs.  So for a 15 year old he/she likes Vaporwave due to how cool it sounds and not that it sound of the music transport him/her back to the 1980s. 

Written By: Zelek3 on 01/27/17 at 2:54 pm

And I've also noticed that as of 2017 Vaporwave seems to turn away from the nostalgia and mainly just focus on the surrealism and wackiness of the genres. If you're in your 30s/40s I you may like Vaporwave for the Nostalgia, but for everyone who is a part of today's youth culture you mainly like it for the surrealism/wackiness of the genre. Vaporwave appeals to millennials or plurals, but for different reasons it seems. And it's funny that I see more plurals (and late millennials) talk about Vaporwave then older and core milllennials on the internet. Also take in consideration to for some older millennials Vaporwave is just a remixing genre. While to plurals Vaporwave sounds original due to never growing up with the original songs.  So for a 15 year old he/she likes Vaporwave due to how cool it sounds and not that it sound of the music transport him/her back to the 1980s.

It's because Plurals like taking memes and jamming them into your head like a powerdrill. :P They're more "dank" than Millennials, perhaps.

See also, the Bee Movie, Nutshack, and We Are Number One memes. Memes have always been repeated, but they never did something as extensive "The Nutshack theme but it's 4 hours and every 3 seconds contains scenes from A Clockwork Orange".

Written By: Looney Toon on 01/27/17 at 3:22 pm

It's because Plurals like taking memes and jamming them into your head like a powerdrill. :P They're more "dank" than Millennials, perhaps.

See also, the Bee Movie, Nutshack, and We Are Number One memes. Memes have always been repeated, but they never did something as extensive "The Nutshack theme but it's 4 hours and every 3 seconds contains scenes from A Clockwork Orange".

But that's the funny thing. I tend to find a lot of youtube comments from plurals who say that they don't care that Vaporwave is a meme and really love the genre. Here is what I think happened. Now Plurals being native to internet youth culture due to experiencing it soon as they were old enough to surf the web ended up loving memes. Them dank memes be referenced by plurals much more often to previous generations (except for maybe late millennials, I think). Most late millennials/Plurals got into Vaporwave because it was a meme. But the more they looked deeper into the genre and listened to the music the more they became genuine fans of the genre and the vibes that it gives. Vaporwave as somewhat transcended its meme status. A large community, ton of popular youtube videos, a HUGE extensive amount of albums, artists who have reached somewhat of a big time status (not mainstream popular status, but rather internet popular status as of 2017), and an aesthetic that is slowly finding its way into pop culture.

The reason Vaporwave is special is because it is the only internet genre to not die within just a few years. Lets take the genres Seapunk and Witchhouse. Both are internet based music genres, but Seapunk died pretty early and Witchhouse died and neither have reached Vaporwave's status. There has been many times where people would say that Vaporwave is dead yet get proven wrong as each year the genre keeps having a large amount of popular albums released each year.

Using Google Search popularity is a strange way to prove whether something is popular, but seeing how a Google is used by millions some consider it as one of the ways to determine popularity. Whether you agree is up to you. But anyways lets compared.

Seapunk
https://www.google.com/trends/explore?q=Seapunk

Was popular back in between 2012-2013, but immediately faded in popularity in such a fast rate. A lot of you who know of Vaporwave may have never even heard of Seapunk.

Witch House
https://www.google.com/trends/explore?q=%2Fm%2F0bxyzjb

Hm, guess Witch house wasn't as dead as I thought it'd be. Popularity seems pretty stagnant, I suppose.

Vaporwave
https://www.google.com/trends/explore?q=vaporwave

Was big in the early 2010s, but as kept on rising (or at least maintains popularity) as of 2017.

All Together
https://www.google.com/trends/explore?q=vaporwave,Seapunk,%2Fm%2F0bxyzjb

Funny as Seapunk was more popular than Vaporwave at one point. But then Seapunk died and Vaporwave took into popularity it seems. I hearby declare Vaporwave as one of the definitive genres of the 2010s. Also I never knew Russia was where Witch house was most popular.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 01/27/17 at 4:28 pm

But that's the funny thing. I tend to find a lot of youtube comments from plurals who say that they don't care that Vaporwave is a meme and really love the genre. Here is what I think happened. Now Plurals being native to internet youth culture due to experiencing it soon as they were old enough to surf the web ended up loving memes. Them dank memes be referenced by plurals much more often to previous generations (except for maybe late millennials, I think). Most late millennials/Plurals got into Vaporwave because it was a meme. But the more they looked deeper into the genre and listened to the music the more they became genuine fans of the genre and the vibes that it gives. Vaporwave as somewhat transcended its meme status. A large community, ton of popular youtube videos, a HUGE extensive amount of albums, artists who have reached somewhat of a big time status (not mainstream popular status, but rather internet popular status as of 2017), and an aesthetic that is slowly finding its way into pop culture.

The reason Vaporwave is special is because it is the only internet genre to not die within just a few years. Lets take the genres Seapunk and Witchhouse. Both are internet based music genres, but Seapunk died pretty early and Witchhouse died and neither have reached Vaporwave's status. There has been many times where people would say that Vaporwave is dead yet get proven wrong as each year the genre keeps having a large amount of popular albums released each year.

Using Google Search popularity is a strange way to prove whether something is popular, but seeing how a Google is used by millions some consider it as one of the ways to determine popularity. Whether you agree is up to you. But anyways lets compared.

I essentially agree for the most part. I feel like most Millennials (that even includes late Millennials like my self) they see the genre first and foremost as a nostalgic escape from the tumultuous present. Between the 2016 election, Brexit, a stagnate economy, & race relations at all time lows it seems that for many 20 & 30 somethings, Vaporwave helps give an escape to their childhoods. Be it Older Millennials getting nostalgic over the funky sounds of the late 80's/early 90's, or younger Millennials getting nostalgic over the visual aesthetics of 90's/early 00's computer art/effects. This combined with the new & modern traits of EDM music today helps keep Vaporwave 'fresh' while still simultaneously being nostalgic at the same time.

My prediction will be that more Millennials (80's & 90's babies) will continue producing more songs and albums, but Gen Z is going to be the main benefactors of the genre. In other words, similar to how most teen pop stars now like Justin Bieber and Taylor Swift, are essentially Millennials targeting Gen Z, Vaporwave artists who are Millennials are going to be targeting Gen Z as well. Like you guys have said, it already is sort of doing that with its use of 'dank memes' and providing a chill vibe for teens to bop to.

I guess you could make a comparison to the rise of New-Wave in the late 70's/early 80's. Most of the New Wave artists were Boomers and initially were targeting Boomers. However, as the genre started to get massively big in the early 80's, they shifted their target audience to the rising Gen X. The aesthetics of New Wave such as voice/sound synthesizers and funky beats, were so revolutionary at the time that many Gen X Icons (Boomers in actuality) incorporated some of these traits in their own hit songs/albums, most notably Buggle's Video Killed The Radio Star and Michael Jackson's Thriller, which was the unofficial 'death' of the Boomer era of youth targeted music.

Since us Millennials (going with the least controversial definition of 1982-2000) are at a similar age to when the Baby Boomers (1946-1964) were in 1981, its only a matter of time until more modern pop stars start (and I've already argued, that they started to use some aesthetics derived from internet culture, particularity Vaporwave) start making a big success using the new  A E S T H E T I C  S T Y L E

Seapunk
https://www.google.com/trends/explore?q=Seapunk

Was popular back in between 2012-2013, but immediately faded in popularity in such a fast rate. A lot of you who know of Vaporwave may have never even heard of Seapunk.

Witch House
https://www.google.com/trends/explore?q=%2Fm%2F0bxyzjb

Hm, guess Witch house wasn't as dead as I thought it'd be. Popularity seems pretty stagnant, I suppose.

Vaporwave
https://www.google.com/trends/explore?q=vaporwave

Was big in the early 2010s, but as kept on rising (or at least maintains popularity) as of 2017.

All Together
https://www.google.com/trends/explore?q=vaporwave,Seapunk,%2Fm%2F0bxyzjb

Funny as Seapunk was more popular than Vaporwave at one point. But then Seapunk died and Vaporwave took into popularity it seems. I hearby declare Vaporwave as one of the definitive genres of the 2010s. Also I never knew Russia was where Witch house was most popular.

One thing that sort of proves my point is that when you look at the graph for when Vaporwave rose in popularity, it was around in 2014/15 (the ultimate Y/Z Cusp School Year). Similarly, New Wave (the last hurrah for Boomers, and subsequently the breakout for Gen X) rose in popularity around 1978/79. This is backed up by wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_wave_music

"Starting in late 1978 and continuing into 1979, acts associated with punk and acts that mixed punk with other genres began to make chart appearances and receive airplay on rock stations and rock discos. Blondie, Talking Heads, the Police and the Cars charted during this period. "My Sharona", a single from the Knack, was Billboard magazine's number one single of 1979. The success of "My Sharona" combined with the fact that new wave albums were much cheaper to produce during a time when the music industry was in its worst slump in decades, prompted record companies to sign new wave groups. New wave music scenes developed in Ohio and Athens, Georgia. 1980 saw brief forays into new wave-styled music by non-new wave artists Billy Joel, Donna Summer and Linda Ronstadt."

Written By: Zelek3 on 01/27/17 at 5:14 pm

Speaking of new wave, I've always been confused about what exactly the difference between it and punk rock (or post-punk) is.

Like, is new wave the surf-ier, more radio-friendly, high-tech version of punk? That's what it's seemed like to me.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 01/27/17 at 5:39 pm

Speaking of new wave, I've always been confused about what exactly the difference between it and punk rock (or post-punk) is.

Like, is new wave the surf-ier, more radio-friendly, high-tech version of punk? That's what it's seemed like to me.

Both genres are similar but New Wave was seen as the more synthesizer friendly alternative to Punk in the late 70's/early 80's. Most Pop Punk artists relied mostly on traditional instruments, while New Wave combined the two. Hence why the genre is dubbed as 'Starting the 80's'. The Punk sound in comparison (especially from the early/mid 70's) tended to be a bit more authentic.

An example of Punk using the Ramone's classic I Wanna Be Sedated

ZLlLtSG7xe4

An example of New Wave using the Buggle's classic Video Killed The Radio Star

QhOVjg01Y7k

Written By: BornIn86 on 01/27/17 at 5:53 pm

I'm going to a George Clanton (ESPRIT 空想) performance next month. It'll be my first time going to a show with an artist mainly associated with Vaporwave.

291BCxaBK7Y

Written By: Looney Toon on 01/27/17 at 6:47 pm

I'm going to a George Clanton (ESPRIT 空想) performance next month. It'll be my first time going to a show with an artist mainly associated with Vaporwave.

291BCxaBK7Y

George Clanton is pretty good. This is one of my favorite tracks from him.
u0WLDt0pztk

A funny joke I just realized. By the 2030s I can imagine there being 2010s nostalgia. I'm gonna laugh my butt off when people say things like "Man, I wish I was able to experience Vaporwave music when it was popular" or "30's music sucks. Back in the '10s we had V A P O R W A V E" or even "My band is all about recreating that old Vaporwave sound". There gonna be a Vaporwave nostalgia revival and stuff. It's gonna be hilarious.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 01/27/17 at 8:37 pm

291BCxaBK7Y

Damn thats awesome, have bun bro :D

I just gave the track a listen and I'm not gonna lie it was pretty dope 8)

A funny joke I just realized. By the 2030s I can imagine there being 2010s nostalgia. I'm gonna laugh my butt off when people say things like "Man, I wish I was able to experience Vaporwave music when it was popular" or "30's music sucks. Back in the '10s we had V A P O R W A V E" or even "My band is all about recreating that old Vaporwave sound". There gonna be a Vaporwave nostalgia revival and stuff. It's gonna be hilarious.

When that sh!t starts happening, I'll officially feel like an old fart ;D. Imagine that though, in 20 years time we will all be in our 40's & 50's, married with kids, in the peak of our careers, going through our midlife crisis, etc. Damn thats scary to think about :o

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 01/27/17 at 8:50 pm

George Clanton is pretty good. This is one of my favorite tracks from him.
u0WLDt0pztk

Damn this track is dope too! Actually I think I prefer this one over Whispers and Summer Nights. I like the chill melancholy vibe to the song at the beginning and how it gradually gets more exciting as it goes on! Probably one of my favorite Vaporwave tracks I've listened to :D

@Bornin86 what other artists would you recommend?

Written By: Looney Toon on 02/02/17 at 11:35 am

This an old age poll from the Vaporwave Reddit that was posted back in 2016.
http://www.strawpoll.me/4763772/r

Shows that as of 2016 most of the artists were between 16-24 (or as of 2016 those born from 1992-2000). This is funny as Vaporwave has its cultural head in 80s-early 2000s culture. But none of the those from 1992-2000 grew up in the 1980s. Although I can understand nostalgia for the late 1990s/early 2000s from a chuck of that 1992-2000 group. Now there are those in the Vaporwave community who are older and grew up in the 1980s, but they make up a small percent. This makes sense as a lot of big Vaporwave albums tend to be from those from the 1992-2000 group in most (not all) cases. I'm also fascinated as to Vaporwave's appeal. Clearly when it was created it was mainly made for nostalgic purposes. The guy who is said to have started the genre in 2010 (Chuck Person with his album Eccojams) was born in 1982. But most of those who carry future of Vaporwave aren't even those who have grown up in the same era as Chuck. Zelek mentioned that due to younger people's attraction to memes they probably got into the genre. And I've figured that as they got into the genre due to meme status they eventually started having appreciate to Vaporwave and saw it as a legit genre with a ton saying they don't care for its meme status and like the music for being good music. Vaporwave focuses on nostalgia and surrealism, but has now been moving away from nostalgia and is moving towards just surrealism. You'll still have those funky aesthetics, but the song makers would just put them there for funny reasons instead of nostalgic reasons.

Now to end this off I need to point out that I'm aware that some of those votes could easily be of people lying about their age and that the 370 votes don't count for the entire community. But the fact that some random internet poll even past 300+ votes is interesting nonetheless.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 02/03/17 at 2:22 pm

This an old age poll from the Vaporwave Reddit that was posted back in 2016.
http://www.strawpoll.me/4763772/r

Shows that as of 2016 most of the artists were between 16-24 (or as of 2016 those born from 1992-2000). This is funny as Vaporwave has its cultural head in 80s-early 2000s culture. But none of the those from 1992-2000 grew up in the 1980s. Although I can understand nostalgia for the late 1990s/early 2000s from a chuck of that 1992-2000 group. Now there are those in the Vaporwave community who are older and grew up in the 1980s, but they make up a small percent. This makes sense as a lot of big Vaporwave albums tend to be from those from the 1992-2000 group in most (not all) cases. I'm also fascinated as to Vaporwave's appeal. Clearly when it was created it was mainly made for nostalgic purposes. The guy who is said to have started the genre in 2010 (Chuck Person with his album Eccojams) was born in 1982. But most of those who carry future of Vaporwave aren't even those who have grown up in the same era as Chuck. Zelek mentioned that due to younger people's attraction to memes they probably got into the genre. And I've figured that as they got into the genre due to meme status they eventually started having appreciate to Vaporwave and saw it as a legit genre with a ton saying they don't care for its meme status and like the music for being good music. Vaporwave focuses on nostalgia and surrealism, but has now been moving away from nostalgia and is moving towards just surrealism. You'll still have those funky aesthetics, but the song makers would just put them there for funny reasons instead of nostalgic reasons.

Now to end this off I need to point out that I'm aware that some of those votes could easily be of people lying about their age and that the 370 votes don't count for the entire community. But the fact that some random internet poll even past 300+ votes is interesting nonetheless.

That's interesting. Was the question directed to fans of Vaporwave or actual Vaporwave artists? Perhaps this may explain why Vaporwave's visual aesthetic is mainly taking cues from the 90's & early 00's.

Written By: Looney Toon on 02/03/17 at 2:36 pm

That's interesting. Was the question directed to fans of Vaporwave or actual Vaporwave artists? Perhaps this may explain why Vaporwave's visual aesthetic is mainly taking cues from the 90's & early 00's.

Both (although most of the big artists are in fact born from 1992-2000 such as the previously mentioned Vektroid who made the famous  Macintosh Plus 420 and Saint Pepsi who founded Future Funk. Both are from 1992 and 1993). And yeah it makes sense as to why the aesthetic is from the 90s/early 00s.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 02/03/17 at 3:16 pm

Both (although most of the big artists are in fact born from 1992-2000 such as the previously mentioned Vektroid who made the famous  Macintosh Plus 420 and Saint Pepsi who founded Future Funk. Both are from 1992 and 1993). And yeah it makes sense as to why the aesthetic is from the 90s/early 00s.

Damn didn't even realize they were that young :o

Perhaps thats the reason why I like Vaporwave so much, since many of the artists are around my age and thus had similar experiences to myself growing up. This explain the 90's/early 00's visual aesthetics in many of the videos and album covers! It begs the question, do you think any 80's borns (besides you and Bornin86) are relatively into the genre and or produce any tracks?

Written By: Looney Toon on 02/03/17 at 4:01 pm

Damn didn't even realize they were that young :o

Perhaps thats the reason why I like Vaporwave so much, since many of the artists are around my age and thus had similar experiences to myself growing up. This explain the 90's/early 00's visual aesthetics in many of the videos and album covers! It begs the question, do you think any 80's borns (besides you and Bornin86) are relatively into the genre and or produce any tracks?

Well the creator of the genre "Chuck Person" released Eccojams in 2010. Chuck Person is from 1982 meaning an 80s born is the one who created the genre. So I can see 80s born being into the music and creating tracks. But for 80s born the reason to create Vaporwave would be different than of those born after the 1980s ended. In fact when Vaporwave hit big popularity sometime in 2012 a lot of big Vaporwave artists were in fact 80s born. They got into it for the nostalgia. Getting their childhood memories and turning it into music. Everyone who wasn't an 80s born got into Vaporwave due to it being a meme and then soon learning to really appreciate the music. Although there are a lot of 90s-00s born who got into Vaporwave just because they actually liked the music.

So in short yeah I can see 80s born being into the genre. Now 1992-2000 born are the biggest group. But as time moves we'll see people from 2001+ join in.

Only the hip and young can get a kick out of them Weather Jamz!  8)
IOwrDLoma2w&t=29s
Also for anyone wondering the Local Weather Forcast in the video is from 2002.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 02/03/17 at 5:45 pm

Well the creator of the genre "Chuck Person" released Eccojams in 2010. Chuck Person is from 1982 meaning an 80s born is the one who created the genre. So I can see 80s born being into the music and creating tracks. But for 80s born the reason to create Vaporwave would be different than of those born after the 1980s ended. In fact when Vaporwave hit big popularity sometime in 2012 a lot of big Vaporwave artists were in fact 80s born. They got into it for the nostalgia. Getting their childhood memories and turning it into music. Everyone who wasn't an 80s born got into Vaporwave due to it being a meme and then soon learning to really appreciate the music. Although there are a lot of 90s-00s born who got into Vaporwave just because they actually liked the music.

So in short yeah I can see 80s born being into the genre. Now 1992-2000 born are the biggest group. But as time moves we'll see people from 2001+ join in.

I see, that makes sense since most 80's babies would have vague memories at the very least of the 1980's. Similarly most 90's babies are nostalgic of the 1990's, despite some of those who remembers the 90's only vaguely. We all in a weird way find stuff from our earliest memories VERY nostalgic. Its a time we barely know, but we still have deep emotional memories regardless from it.

Going back to what I said before, Vaporwave seems to be the genre that began as a nostalgic escape for older Millennials born in the 80's who were dealing with massive financial troubles and political turbulence with the Great Recession & Iraq War in the early 10's. It eventually evolved into a nostalgic escape for younger Millennials born in the 90's with the current political turbulence we are dealing with, while also mixing in the ironic/meme factor into the popularity of the genre. Millennials ushered in the sound, but it will gain mass acceptance with Generation Z, who may have little to no nostalgic connection to the music but could still appreciate its musical vibes.

Only the hip and young can get a kick out of them Weather Jamz!  8)
IOwrDLoma2w&t=29s
Also for anyone wondering the Local Weather Forcast in the video is from 2002.

Damn just gave that track a good listen and damn it was good! Very chill and relaxing, definitely a good track to listen to late at night while drinking a martini 8)

Written By: Zelek3 on 02/03/17 at 5:55 pm

Going back to what I said before, Vaporwave seems to be the genre that began as a nostalgic escape for older Millennials born in the 80's who were dealing with massive financial troubles and political turbulence with the Great Recession & Iraq War in the early 10's. It eventually evolved into a nostalgic escape for younger Millennials born in the 90's with the current political turbulence we are dealing with, while also mixing in the ironic/meme factor into the popularity of the genre. Millennials ushered in the sound, but it will gain mass acceptance with Generation Z, who may have little to no nostalgic connection to the music but could still appreciate its musical vibes.

Gen Z probably has more than a "little" nostalgic connection to the music. As I mentioned before, those old "aesthetic" computers (for instance, the candy-colored iMacs) in schools lasted until like 2010. Some poorer schools even have them now.

Written By: Looney Toon on 02/04/17 at 4:58 am

Gen Z probably has more than a "little" nostalgic connection to the music. As I mentioned before, those old "aesthetic" computers (for instance, the candy-colored iMacs) in schools lasted until like 2010. Some poorer schools even have them now.

Hmm, didn't think that would be the case for gen z . Although I know that Y2K aesthetics can be used in Vaporware as they relate. And sure a lot of early Z can remember the early 2000s where the Y2K aesthetics was popular. And vaporware itself also uses early 2000s nostalgia. So I can see a Z member connecting with Vaporwave I suppose.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 02/04/17 at 9:11 am

Hmm, didn't think that would be the case for gen z . Although I know that Y2K aesthetics can be used in Vaporware as they relate. And sure a lot of early Z can remember the early 2000s where the Y2K aesthetics was popular. And vaporware itself also uses early 2000s nostalgia. So I can see a Z member connecting with Vaporwave I suppose.

Well it depends on when you start Gen Z. If you start the generation at the mid 90's then I could totally see where Zelek3 is coming from  since most mid-late 90's babies would be able to relate to the early 2000's. However if you think the generation begins with early 2000's babies, then realistically most of them aren't going to relate to much Vaporwave nostalgia as their older counterparts.

Written By: Looney Toon on 02/04/17 at 11:36 am

Well it depends on when you start Gen Z. If you start the generation at the mid 90's then I could totally see where Zelek3 is coming from  since most mid-late 90's babies would be able to relate to the early 2000's. However if you think the generation begins with early 2000's babies, then realistically most of them aren't going to relate to much Vaporwave nostalgia as their older counterparts.

I don't see Mid 1990s born as millennials since they'd be in their early 20s as of today and they fit right in with the rest of the millennials of today to me. But this is all subjective, I suppose. But if we were to say that Gen Z started in the mid 1990s then I can see them having some nostalgia for the late 1990s/early 2000s portion of Vaporwave nostalgia. But as time moves on and more newer/younger people get into Vaporwave the aesthetic/nostalgia may end  up changing slightly. I do run into Youtube comments from time to time that have people saying that they were born in 2001 to 2003 (14-16 highschoolers as of 2017) and that they prefer Vaporwave over today's mainstream music. If Vaporwave persists into the 2020s then the 1992-2000 crowd will soon be replaced by the 2002-2010 crowd.  And since the 2020s will have a big 2000s nostalgia comeback I can see Vaporwave's aesthetic being replaced by 2000s era aesthetic (although I'm not sure what that aesthetic will look like other than the Y2K aesthetic unless people just make up their own new one).

I'm gonna give birth to the new generation of Vaporwave. A picture of me with my future kids.
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/76/18/3d/76183dd5c7e139376a0a83516c5f36f5.jpg

Written By: Looney Toon on 02/04/17 at 11:57 am

I do love the Vaporwave memes.
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/b0/c7/11/b0c7113a91d405cb83fcc00fca3d86f0.jpg

https://pics.onsizzle.com/Facebook-2dc4fc.png

Written By: Looney Toon on 02/04/17 at 12:41 pm

This was just uploaded today. This is a Vaporwave album that doesn't use any samples and is 100% original in sound. This is one of the ways Vaporwave  will advance into the future for me.
4TnkE9fh_vw

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 02/06/17 at 9:40 pm

This track is pretty dope!

tbAP6IGBax0

I'm just getting high just listening to it 8)

I don't see Mid 1990s born as millennials since they'd be in their early 20s as of today and they fit right in with the rest of the millennials of today to me. But this is all subjective, I suppose. But if we were to say that Gen Z started in the mid 1990s then I can see them having some nostalgia for the late 1990s/early 2000s portion of Vaporwave nostalgia. But as time moves on and more newer/younger people get into Vaporwave the aesthetic/nostalgia may end  up changing slightly. I do run into Youtube comments from time to time that have people saying that they were born in 2001 to 2003 (14-16 highschoolers as of 2017) and that they prefer Vaporwave over today's mainstream music. If Vaporwave persists into the 2020s then the 1992-2000 crowd will soon be replaced by the 2002-2010 crowd.  And since the 2020s will have a big 2000s nostalgia comeback I can see Vaporwave's aesthetic being replaced by 2000s era aesthetic (although I'm not sure what that aesthetic will look like other than the Y2K aesthetic unless people just make up their own new one).

I'm gonna give birth to the new generation of Vaporwave. A picture of me with my future kids.
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/76/18/3d/76183dd5c7e139376a0a83516c5f36f5.jpg

Yep it will be interesting how the younger crowd views Vaporwave. Cannot wait to see this genre gain more traction, the movement is REAL.

This was just uploaded today. This is a Vaporwave album that doesn't use any samples and is 100% original in sound. This is one of the ways Vaporwave  will advance into the future for me.
4TnkE9fh_vw

Yeah I listened to a few tracks and it was pretty interesting.

Written By: BornIn86 on 02/12/17 at 5:26 am

https://daily.bandcamp.com/2016/12/13/back-to-the-future-the-top-ten-vaporwave-albums-of-2016/

An interesting track selection of new vaporwave material.

Written By: Looney Toon on 02/12/17 at 12:06 pm

https://daily.bandcamp.com/2016/12/13/back-to-the-future-the-top-ten-vaporwave-albums-of-2016/

Some pretty good tracks. As of lately I've been downloading a ton of Vaporwave albums.Having this stuff play non-stop can make it feel like your mind is wrapped in the strange world that Vaporwave creates.

]

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 02/13/17 at 3:17 pm

Those were some pretty dope tracks! I really liked song Vektroid & Siddiq's, Midnight Run. I like the Windows 95 beat to the song 8)

Written By: Looney Toon on 02/14/17 at 11:03 am

W1GLpEl7RzE

Just found this nice track. I love the dream vibe mixed with the commercialism.

Written By: Zelek3 on 04/12/17 at 8:52 pm

I'm going to try to jumpstart this thread with more aesthetic tunes.

These songs aren't Vaporwave, but they're definitely what Vaporwave is derived from: video game-y, atmospheric, A E S T H E T I C, music that manages to be both upbeat and somber/dramatic at the same time.

6nkDXUq9wEYGpNizOzXXUs
v6k4c8ECt3s8At7BAYrSSQ
gDbBMh71J38Fx-DJM274-Y
EgEOsfeLVacbVtk5Vda6Aw
-KsWD-V4vvgblkbjHECQlc
sjb2uQ8ARikoNXzMBA9VU4
J_w-eJaW480&t=642s
(Skip over to 5:15 and keep listening until 6:15 for the A E S T H E T I C part. The rest of the album sucks so don't listen to it)

Written By: Zelek3 on 04/12/17 at 8:58 pm

Actually I do think early 2000s babies can relate to Vaporwave nostalgia, to some extent. Many schools still kept their bulky "aesthetic" computers (i.e. ones running Mac OS 9 or Windows 2000) around for years and years, until about 2012.

Written By: Zelek3 on 04/13/17 at 1:21 am

So, nobody's listened to the fabulous tunes I compiled? *sadface*

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 04/13/17 at 12:04 pm

Actually I do think early 2000s babies can relate to Vaporwave nostalgia, to some extent. Many schools still kept their bulky "aesthetic" computers (i.e. ones running Mac OS 9 or Windows 2000) around for years and years, until about 2012.

Touche

So, nobody's listened to the fabulous tunes I compiled? *sadface*

I listened to a few of them and they definitely give off a 90's PC Gaming vibe! Speaking about PC Games from the 90's one of my favorite series of educational games I used to play as a kid at school was called Living Books. Basically it was a program that allowed you to fullt interact with many contemporary (at the time) or classic books while reading the story on the computer. One of my favorites was this one, based off of Marc Brown's Arthur Computer Adventure. Zelek you remember this?

vBPg22n6gwU

Written By: Zelek3 on 04/13/17 at 2:11 pm

I listened to a few of them and they definitely give off a 90's PC Gaming vibe! Speaking about PC Games from the 90's one of my favorite series of educational games I used to play as a kid at school was called Living Books. Basically it was a program that allowed you to fullt interact with many contemporary (at the time) or classic books while reading the story on the computer. One of my favorites was this one, based off of Marc Brown's Arthur Computer Adventure. Zelek you remember this?

vBPg22n6gwU

Oh yeah definitely. That and the Oregon Trail. And the I Spy haunted house game, and Pajama Sam.

Funny thing is I remember playing these games in school 2005-06, by which point they were very ancient and not at all 2005/6-ish (click and point games had already died back around 1998). The guidance counselors even had 3DOs and PS1s in their offices in 05/06 that the students would play games on. ;D

It's not hard to see why some people say things like "The 90s didn't end until 2006". If you were an elementary school student in 2006, then in terms of technology, the 90s did indeed last until 2006. ;D

Written By: Zelek3 on 04/13/17 at 3:44 pm

I listened to a few of them and they definitely give off a 90's PC Gaming vibe!

The thing about Vaporwave, or proto-Vaporwave in this case, is how it invokes specific memories. When I hear the ending to Yes' "New State of Mind", with all of its new agey 90s synths and the sampled sound of a TIE fighter flying overhead(?), I imagine being a kid in the early 2000s, running around in the yard on a hot summer day, looking up at the stars.

(Go over to 5:10 and keep listening until 6:15 for the A E S T H E T I C part. The other parts of the album are considered crappy so I wouldn't recommend listening to it)

J_w-eJaW480

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 04/13/17 at 5:14 pm

Oh yeah definitely. That and the Oregon Trail. And the I Spy haunted house game, and Pajama Sam.

Yep definitely remember all of these 8)

I also used to play this as a kid:

Vmp720kBLBU

Funny thing is I remember playing these games in school 2005-06, by which point they were very ancient and not at all 2005/6-ish (click and point games had already died back around 1998). The guidance counselors even had 3DOs and PS1s in their offices in 05/06 that the students would play games on. ;D

Yeah weirdly enough I remember the 2005-06' school year being the last one where they had those games on the computers in my school's classrooms due to them still having those Late 90's Era iMacs back then

https://fast-company-res.cloudinary.com/image/upload/fc/imac-lead_0.jpeg

Starting the 2006-07' school year, so when I was in 5th grade, my school upgraded to these mid 00's era iMacs

http://lowendmac.com/wp-content/uploads/20in-imac-isight.jpg

Whats funny though was that by the time I got into middle school in Late 07', the school used primarily Late 90's/Early 00's Windows PCs that ran Windows ME and 2000

http://twentysomethingliving.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/old-pc-small-320x220.png

DdPLcfnQLo4

The thing about Vaporwave, or proto-Vaporwave in this case, is how it invokes specific memories. When I hear the ending to Yes' "New State of Mind", with all of its new agey 90s synths and the sampled sound of a TIE fighter flying overhead(?), I imagine being a kid in the early 2000s, running around in the yard on a hot summer day, looking up at the stars.

(Go over to 5:10 and keep listening until 6:15 for the A E S T H E T I C part. The other parts of the album are considered crappy so I wouldn't recommend listening to it)

J_w-eJaW480

Yeah I listened to the 5:10 area and I agree. It has a bit of a psychedelic feel. Crazy that this was recorded in 1997!

Written By: Zelek3 on 04/13/17 at 5:56 pm

Yep definitely remember all of these 8)

I also used to play this as a kid:

Vmp720kBLBU

LOVED Pangea Software's games as a kid. While the other kids were pledging their allegiance to Nintendo or Sony, I was pledging to Pangea. 8)

Their games had pretty aesthetic-y music at times too.

XWKN7cIheS49DDocUlWTLw

Written By: Zelek3 on 04/13/17 at 6:05 pm

Stayed tuned, I've got more tunes to post. :)

I have to walk the dog now so I'll be back in 15 minutes.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 04/13/17 at 6:15 pm

LOVED Pangea Software's games as a kid. While the other kids were pledging their allegiance to Nintendo or Sony, I was pledging to Pangea. 8)

Their games had pretty aesthetic-y music at times too.

XWKN7cIheS49DDocUlWTLw

Damn these themes are awesome, especially the Glaciers theme for Cro-Mag Rally. Speaking about 90's video game music, I think the music done for the Donkey Kong Country Games are some of the best (if not THE Best) music in gaming history. Most of the games were proposed by a musical genius name David Wise. So many great and grand nostalgic memories of playing these games on the GBA in the mid 2000's!

DKC1
kAbL8NjoRhI

DKC2
cbreFmRDN3E

DKC3
SNES Version
Vp50IEHtYfk
(when listening to this theme, go to 53:44, its the perfect culmination of 90's video game music 8))

GBA Version
VlgA4Dv6sVI

and of course the iconic death jingles, DKC 2 had some of my favorites:

85zufbN_qBI

Written By: Zelek3 on 04/13/17 at 8:33 pm

I come bearing more gifts.

Now I'll admit, the Zelda CD-i games are bad (I played them as a kid, and yes they're as bad as people say. Link controls like he has a stick crammed up his butt, and enemies respawn endlessly giving you little time to react), but the music in those games is really damn GOOD and aesthetic-y.

pFikTWyllAcanNJT4sZamk
RlvDa225X30btMNs3GSnM8
0UZ3SC-j1rcOiFEa6YCCRE
Ij4JI78cDoM6ZNoyMnQ6d4
qCIquf-7mCMBQVh8p39wJw
qPBqzCo3rTEjyz79UrLKqI
TdWxbZl50ecUv0ZQdfxEQA

Written By: Zelek3 on 04/13/17 at 9:13 pm

Cont.

These songs bring me back to the carefree innocence of childhood. Even if some of them don't have the synths that characterize vaporwave.

http://bmgmusic.sourceaudio.com/#!details?id=202366
http://bmgmusic.sourceaudio.com/#!details?id=202585
http://bmgmusic.sourceaudio.com/#!details?id=202602
http://bmgmusic.sourceaudio.com/#!details?id=204083

GZ9Gny-sObknlvfnJzSJ0o
Bs5QGN-zhwMyStMqWTu-lw
STE_tKrjDJ8
(Mostly listen for dat intro)
HOS86MCi29c
(This sounds like a song from an early 2000s adventure game, even though it was made in the late 70s)

Written By: Zelek3 on 04/14/17 at 4:36 pm

DdPLcfnQLo4

Yeah I listened to the 5:10 area and I agree. It has a bit of a psychedelic feel. Crazy that this was recorded in 1997!

Yeah, it sounds more like it's from 1991. ;D

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 04/16/17 at 7:58 pm

I come bearing more gifts.

Now I'll admit, the Zelda CD-i games are bad (I played them as a kid, and yes they're as bad as people say. Link controls like he has a stick crammed up his butt, and enemies respawn endlessly giving you little time to react), but the music in those games is really damn GOOD and aesthetic-y.

pFikTWyllAcanNJT4sZamk
RlvDa225X30btMNs3GSnM8
0UZ3SC-j1rcOiFEa6YCCRE
Ij4JI78cDoM6ZNoyMnQ6d4
qCIquf-7mCMBQVh8p39wJw
qPBqzCo3rTEjyz79UrLKqI
TdWxbZl50ecUv0ZQdfxEQA

Crazy how such an infamously bad game could produce some decent tunes ;D

Cont.

These songs bring me back to the carefree innocence of childhood. Even if some of them don't have the synths that characterize vaporwave.

http://bmgmusic.sourceaudio.com/#!details?id=202366
http://bmgmusic.sourceaudio.com/#!details?id=202585
http://bmgmusic.sourceaudio.com/#!details?id=202602
http://bmgmusic.sourceaudio.com/#!details?id=204083

GZ9Gny-sObknlvfnJzSJ0o
Bs5QGN-zhwMyStMqWTu-lw
STE_tKrjDJ8
(Mostly listen for dat intro)
HOS86MCi29c
(This sounds like a song from an early 2000s adventure game, even though it was made in the late 70s)

Yeah I love 16 bit era music! Another game from that era with great music is TLOZ A Link To The Past. The intro for this game always gets me pumped :D

iC0KIrKIEYM

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 04/16/17 at 8:01 pm

More dank beats 8)

K1iS-_EQMGE

Written By: Zelek3 on 05/14/17 at 7:36 pm

Anyone else think prog rock has a bit of a video gamey vibe to it, which is sort of like Vaporwave? The bulk of prog was made in the 70s, though, so it's more like proto-video gamey. ;D

This sound sounds like it could be a 90s/early 2000s RPG or adventure game (preferably in a level set in a church), if they removed the vocals.

57F7vlT_PK8

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 05/16/17 at 9:20 am

Anyone else think prog rock has a bit of a video gamey vibe to it, which is sort of like Vaporwave? The bulk of prog was made in the 70s, though, so it's more like proto-video gamey. ;D

This sound sounds like it could be a 90s/early 2000s RPG or adventure game (preferably in a level set in a church), if they removed the vocals.

57F7vlT_PK8

Yeah it has a bit of a 90's era CD ROM Game feel to it.

Written By: Stillinthe90s on 05/25/17 at 5:44 pm

Watching classic Weather Channel, like in the video below, could provide inspiration for vaporwave artists. Classic Weather Channel has some great stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ba_q8W5HGJk

Written By: 2001 on 05/25/17 at 9:27 pm

Watching classic Weather Channel, like in the video below, could provide inspiration for vaporwave artists. Classic Weather Channel has some great stuff.

I liked 1990 and 1992 (didn't get much past that).

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 05/25/17 at 11:13 pm

Yep there's alot of Weather Channel inspiration within the genre of Vaporwave, this is one of my favorites:

1cAdJ3Ns1gE

Written By: FunkSoulBrother96 on 05/28/17 at 8:31 pm

Have any of you guys heard of this recent musical trend 'Vaporwave' before? To keep it short its a pretty recent trend in techno music in which artists remix samples of tracks (ranging from movie soundtracks to PC Intro screens) from the 80's, 90's, & early 00's while simultaneously providing modern flare (the modern dubstep or EDM sound in music), thus giving the jams a true A E S T H E T I C  F E E L 8).

This is a pretty recent track and I'm digging it so far, and I think best represents this genre of music ;)

HMLrn_bLmT0

Its catchy, energetic, but also equally relaxing, melo & its also pretty nostalgic (for instance, guess where the theme for that first song is from!).

The legitimate question I have here is that, do you guys think this underground movement is going to eventually become mainstream? If you're interested please discuss, and I'll be providing my own answer shortly!

I don't mean to sound like a hipster, but I've known about Vapor Wave since 2014. I accidentally discovered that internet music genre through a Arthur YTP where I heard "420" by Macintosh Plus.

Shockingly, Vapor Wave has been around since 2007(?), but no one really knew about Vapor Wave until Macintosh Plus came out in early 2012. By 2015, the casuals and memers found it, and Vapor Wave officially went mainstream on the internet.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 05/28/17 at 8:35 pm

I don't mean to sound like a hipster, but I've known about Vapor Wave since 2014. I accidentally discovered that internet music genre through a Arthur YTP where I heard "420" by Macintosh Plus.

Shockingly, Vapor Wave has been around since 2007(?), but no one really knew about Vapor Wave until Macintosh Plus came out in early 2012. By 2015, the casuals and memers found it, and Vapor Wave officially went mainstream on the internet.

Yep that was me ;D

FWIW I genuinely like the genre though. This is a track I've been listening to pretty heavily recently:

4kdwUOlihDA&index=1&list=FLkuBV4J1SO_qJ4uBgsPwDwA

This track is just so relaxing and soothing.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 08/01/18 at 10:13 pm

A year and a half later; my prediction has seem to come true 8).

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=58491.0

As in the thread by duenas8, many stylistic attributes of Vaporwave are now seeping into pop culture. Now in 2018, with the rise in bi-lighting, a keen colorful aspect of the Vaporwave genre (mainly because of its 80s nostalgic roots), it seems that its starting to become inescapable.

8gU3IA4u-J8

Check for new replies or respond here...