inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Masculinity in the 2010s....

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 12/20/16 at 2:20 am

After watching these vids made by Lenoard Banks it got me thinking.... has masculinity taken a downturn during this decade? If so will Trump ''fix it?''
J_qqPJiTuSo&t=3s 0TJjp673McE&t=144s

Subject: Re: Masculinity in the 2010s....

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/20/16 at 6:02 am

Masculinity isn't as powerful as it used to be, since most men are rather obsessed with something girly. I don't even know if Trump would fix it, since he actually supported the LGBT (which is criticized as not being masculine) during his campaign.

Written By: 2001 on 12/20/16 at 8:44 am

I'm sorry but that video broke my brain LOL

Not sure if Trump will change it.

I mean, emos were those who rebelled against Bush, and they were a bunch of girly-looking wusses!

Emo was a small subculture, maybe 1-2% of people dressed like it.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/20/16 at 10:31 am

Emo was a small subculture, maybe 1-2% of people dressed like it.

More like 25% of the North American population. They were big enough to be considered a fad during the mid and late 2000s. Especially when they were rampant on Myspace.

Written By: 2001 on 12/20/16 at 10:50 am

More like 25% of the North American population. They were big enough to be considered a fad during the mid and late 2000s. Especially when they were rampant on Myspace.

No, I was in high school then. There were maybe 5 or 6 emo kids in my grade of ~300, not 75 lol.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/20/16 at 11:26 am

My mother once told me that a man who has to worry about his masculinity has something to worry about.

My first husband used to say to me, "I'm the man! I'm the man!" One time I asked him, "Why do you keep telling me that? Are you afraid that I will forgot?" He never said that after.

If you are worried about your masculinity, maybe you should ask yourself why.

Cat

Written By: bchris02 on 12/20/16 at 4:01 pm

No, I was in high school then. There were maybe 5 or 6 emo kids in my grade of ~300, not 75 lol.

I bet the number of "emo lite" kids at your school was at least 75 if not higher.  They may have not been full emo, but they likely had shaggy hair with a swoop and wore tighter, brighter clothes than they wore in the early 2000s.  Emo heavily influenced late 2000s fashion.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/20/16 at 4:23 pm

Maybe you didn't know that some of your friends could also be emo kids as well. It's not like everybody shared their interests in high school.

Written By: 2001 on 12/20/16 at 4:33 pm

I bet the number of "emo lite" kids at your school was at least 75 if not higher.  They may have not been full emo, but they likely had shaggy hair with a swoop and wore tighter, brighter clothes than they wore in the early 2000s.  Emo heavily influenced late 2000s fashion.

If we're talking about emo-influenced, sure. It was probably a lot more than 25%. But it's a bit of revisionist history to say emo and the mindset of anti-masculinity was in any way dominant. If anything, I'd say anti-emo sentiments were way more in vogue than emo. By 2009 emo was mostly dead and derided.

Written By: mqg96 on 12/20/16 at 7:11 pm

Well since I've grown up in the south here in Georgia my whole life, the majority of my friends and acquaintances are pro-masculine. That hasn't changed over here throughout this decade. It's only become more acceptable to be feminine up north or in the west coast areas.

Written By: 2001 on 12/20/16 at 7:57 pm

Well since I've grown up in the south here in Georgia my whole life, the majority of my friends and acquaintances are pro-masculine. That hasn't changed over here throughout this decade. It's only become more acceptable to be feminine up north or in the west coast areas.

#WeTheNorth

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/20/16 at 8:28 pm

#WeTheNorth

#WeTheAmericanNorth

For me, at least.

Written By: 2001 on 12/20/16 at 8:37 pm

#WeTheAmericanNorth

For me, at least.

Isn't yours #Knickstape or something. Get your own! :P

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 12/20/16 at 8:39 pm

Yup that's true. Here in Missouri,(which is technically mid west, but has a STRONG southern vibe) it's still pro-masculine here as well, for the most part. But yeah, you're correct the south and Midwest areas atill have that manly man vibe, while the north and west areas it's the complete opposite! ;D Especially in the West coast! :o

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/20/16 at 8:47 pm

When I was a kid, men were men and women were women.

In my thirties, men were "OG's" and women were "hoes".

Now in my late 50's you can't tell what anybody is.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 12/20/16 at 8:55 pm

;D ;D ;D ;D  It's kinda true yet sad at the same time! :o

Written By: Slim95 on 12/20/16 at 10:36 pm

I think people should just do what they want and be themselves whether that's masculine or feminine, both or neither. Pop culture should not have to dictate what a person likes or how they behave.

Written By: 2001 on 12/20/16 at 10:54 pm

This is the first thread to make me realize I might be getting old lol.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 12/20/16 at 11:05 pm

I agree but at least guys like Pitbull still provide an honest example of masculinity in today's troubled times.

Written By: 2001 on 12/20/16 at 11:15 pm

I agree but at least guys like Pitbull still provide an honest example of masculinity in today's troubled times.

Drake is peak masculinity tbh.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 12/20/16 at 11:21 pm

Drake is peak masculinity tbh.

Drake's a big sissy. I tried to listen to his music but I just couldn't! He can't rap for sh!t and his lyrics are garbage. He's so trashy and all he does is whine like a bitch.

Written By: Slim95 on 12/20/16 at 11:23 pm

Drake's a big sissy. I tried to listen to his music but I just couldn't! He can't rap for sh!t and his lyrics are garbage. He's so trashy and all he does is whine like a bitch.

I like Drake. He has a couple good songs.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 12/20/16 at 11:24 pm

I like Drake. He has a couple good songs.

He's no Pitbull. I don't like anything Drake's done but Pitbull has full albums of consistently good work.

Written By: 2001 on 12/20/16 at 11:25 pm

Drake is Too Good for you. You just don't understand him 

Written By: JordanK1982 on 12/20/16 at 11:26 pm

Drake is Too Good for you. You just don't understand him

Drake's trash, Pitbull's class.

Written By: 2001 on 12/20/16 at 11:29 pm

Drake's trash, Pitbull's class.

I done kept it real from the jump
Living at my mama's house we'd argue every mornin' nigga,
I was trying to get it on my own
Working all night, traffic on the way home
And my uncle calling me like "Where ya at?
I gave you the keys told ya bring it right back"
Nigga, I just think it's funny how it goes
Now I'm on the road, half a million for a show
And we...

Started from the bottom now we're here

Your fave can't compete. Where's his balls?

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 12/20/16 at 11:32 pm

Yup that's true. Here in Missouri,(which is technically mid west, but has a STRONG southern vibe) it's still pro-masculine here as well, for the most part. But yeah, you're correct the south and Midwest areas atill have that manly man vibe, while the north and west areas it's the complete opposite! ;D Especially in the West coast! :o

Living in the north-east for all my life, I'd tell you that it really depends on where exactly you're referring to. I live within the New York suburbs, and most guys around by me are the epitome of masculine. Many of the guys my age back in high school were into the hip-hop ('wigger', for the white kids trying to act tough ;D) trend or the guido trend. Not surprisingly a lot of these guys either voted for Trump in this election or they voted for Hillary but only on the basis that she was 'the lesser of two evils' not so much because they actually liked her.

However, if you were to travel an hour or so out of town into 'The Big Apple' I guarantee you almost all of the guys out there were staunch Hillary supporters & generally speaking you were to find more androgynous guys out in the city rather where I live.

The emo trend was around here back when I was in high school, and many of those kids are now hipsters. Heck even the more masculine guys around here incorporate some of the hipster trends into their appearance (such as the 'lumberjack beard', flannel shirts, insane amount of tatoos, etc.). And even then, despite most guys that are my age and around by me being more masculine, their's still a pretty healthy amount of guys who are more open minded and less confined on traditional gender roles, which makes sense since NJ's pretty liberal. I guess percentage wise I'd be, 70% Masucline, 30% Feminine/Androgynous.

Perhaps that may still be a culture shock to some of you from other parts of the country, and that's fine! Just trying to give you my perspective.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 12/20/16 at 11:46 pm

I done kept it real from the jump
Living at my mama's house we'd argue every mornin' nigga,
I was trying to get it on my own
Working all night, traffic on the way home
And my uncle calling me like "Where ya at?
I gave you the keys told ya bring it right back"
Nigga, I just think it's funny how it goes
Now I'm on the road, half a million for a show
And we...

Started from the bottom now we're here

Your fave can't compete. Where's his balls?

Pitbull has the biggest nuts, son.

Kanye no style
J -Lo no ass
Fifty no beef
Jay Z no cash
Diddy no biggie
Fat Joe no pun
Lil Jon no crunk
DMC no run
Jeezy no coke
Katt Williams no joke
MC hammer still rich not broke
Just imagine all this baby
It's enough to make you go krazy

Written By: 2001 on 12/21/16 at 12:10 am

Pitbull has the biggest nuts, son.

Kanye no style
J -Lo no ass
Fifty no beef
Jay Z no cash
Diddy no biggie
Fat Joe no pun
Lil Jon no crunk
DMC no run
Jeezy no coke
Katt Williams no joke
MC hammer still rich not broke
Just imagine all this baby
It's enough to make you go krazy

When you have to name drop people more famous than you to get attention. Sad!

Written By: #Infinity on 12/21/16 at 12:12 am

I suppose it just bothers me that, like full-on feminine women, suave men are so commonly blamed for "rape culture," "lack of diversity," and "not being yourself," at least with younger generations in urban communities. You aren't automatically presenting yourself as more wholesome just because you're a nu-male, really it's likely that you're just going along with what is now the norm.

Look, I'm full-on lesbian, I don't have the hots for guys, but even so, I can pinpoint when I find men emotionally attractive. Depending on the individual, I think guys in the 1980s and 1990s were pretty legit, the same applies even with the 2000s, to a degree (not the emos, just the ones who continued Y2K aesthetics or just remained unstyled). I don't mean asshole, narcissist jocks who shamelessly treat anybody who's not pitch-perfect like trash, I'm talking more the guys with a fair amount of confidence, but also a down-to-earth personality and an ambitious mind. Not necessarily macho men, but still identifiably male, just not pretentiously so. I suppose it's weird for me to be talking about what I find attractive in men, but I suppose you could refer to guys like Bruce Springsteen, Richard Marx, or even James Rolfe as which ones I'd be gushing the most over if I were straight or bisexual. In this day and age, even a James Rolfe can be derided as misogynist simply because of his taste for retro film and disapproval of the trailer for Ghostbusters '16, even if there's no concrete evidence whatsoever that he's sexist. I know Springsteen and Marx types are still pretty popular in some circles, but for the most part, the dominant culture of this era seems to lean either towards ultra-PC nu-males or pretentious hipsters.

With the ascent of Trump in a month from now, this black and white "accepting" (nu-males/rebel women) vs. "backwards" (presenting as traditionally masculine or feminine, regardless of degree, especially if you're gay or lesbian) schism is sadly bound only to widen.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 12/21/16 at 12:41 am

I agree that the focus on masculinity has lessened in the 2010s, however it really shouldn't be a big concern. If anything, I think it's good that everyone is following their own paths and not basing themselves on a bunch of stereotypes. As for myself, I wouldn't consider myself to be a stereotypical masculine. On a test based on mentality (which is on the Personality Cafe forums), I scored 64% for feminine, 63% for androgynous and 42% for masculine. Despite these results, I don't act like a feminist, i'm a straight male and I don't view myself as being any other gender. Quite frankly, I believe there are more pressing issues in society than whether someone is masculine or not. It really shouldn't matter in this day and age, in my opinion.

Written By: #Infinity on 12/21/16 at 12:52 am

I agree that the focus on masculinity has lessened in the 2010s, however it really shouldn't be a big concern. If anything, I think it's good that everyone is following their own paths and not basing themselves on a bunch of stereotypes.

Frankly, they are still bashing each other based on stereotypes, it's just that the tables have turned a bit since the past few decades. From my experience, it's not nearly as easy to be a girly-girl lesbian as it is, say, to be a nu-male or a tomboyish lesbian. Not that I'm being constantly harassed, but I feel unrepresented and unappreciated. People make it seem like there's something wrong with me and that I haven't discovered my true self.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/21/16 at 1:18 am

I wonder what women I would like if I were straight.
Probably:

Britney Spears, Taylor Swift, Carmen Electra, Janet Jackson, and Michelle Yeoh.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 12/21/16 at 1:59 am

I just wonder what some of y'all think of the videos! ;D

Written By: Zelek3 on 12/21/16 at 2:05 am

In some ways it's lessened. Especially among teens who seem to take pride in being effeminate.

Perhaps under a Trump presidency, with the rise of trolling culture and teens seeming to gravitate that ("fuk da PC police, Trump tells it like it is bro. Sorry, did I trigger you there?"), masculinity among teens will make a comeback (though in a douchey way). American pop culture tends to shift based on who's president at the time, i.e. during the Bush and Reagan presidencies, we got a bunch of hyper-patriotic chest-pumping action movies.

Edit: Remove controversial opinion

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 12/21/16 at 2:11 am

Overall, my thoughts on what Leonard said, I kinda see where he's coming from.
Masculinity had taken a STEEP downturn this decade, although I'm not too surprised it's potentially a backlash against the 00s and even the 90s to a degree. Being extreme, cool, gangsta, and hard was the rage during those times. This decade it's been the complete opposite. Being nerdy and queer has been the rage.(There's nothing ring with being that way) But I must admit, things have become completely wussified. It's been kinda hard having the personality like mine in this era. For example, I maybe geeky and kind, but at the same time I still have my masculine peronsality.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 12/21/16 at 2:19 am

, masculinity among teens will make a comeback (though in a douchey way). American pop culture tends to shift based on who's president at the time, i.e. during the Bush and Reagan presidencies, we got a bunch of hyper-patriotic chest-pumping action movies.

That's gonna suck. I wish masculinty would make a comeback for 20 somethings like me.

And during the Clinton and Bush Jr. presidencies we got hardcore east coast hip hop, west coast gangsta rap, post grunge, nun metal, extreme culture, mature and BADASS cartoons, bling Bling style culture. So it feels like masculinity was always there until the Obama years came... But like I've said before it's backlash against the previous era. :o

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 12/21/16 at 2:23 am

In terms of maturity, 20somethings today are arguably the same as teens. :P

Oops I never thought about that... :o  You are kinda right tho. I'm actually having a hard time telling people apart from my age group or younger... ;D  Folks are looking younger and younger nowadays which I guess is a good thing. ;D

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 12/21/16 at 2:24 am

Also I didn't say it was happening for sure, I just considered the possibility.

Yeah I know you didn't. I was just thinking of the possibility as well. ;)

Written By: Zelek3 on 12/21/16 at 2:29 am

Folks are looking younger and younger nowadays which I guess is a good thing. ;D

No it's not, it means the government is putting estrogen in the water to turn male youth feminine.

Wake up sheeple!!!! ;D

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 12/21/16 at 2:33 am

No it's not, it means the government is putting estrogen in the water to turn male youth feminine.

Wake up sheeple!!!! ;D

;D ;D ;D
But seriously bro, it's not just the guys, it's the ladies as well. :o

Written By: mqg96 on 12/21/16 at 3:46 am

Overall, my thoughts on what Leonard said, I kinda see where he's coming from.
Masculinity had taken a STEEP downturn this decade, although I'm not too surprised it's potentially a backlash against the 00s and even the 90s to a degree. Being extreme, cool, gangsta, and hard was the rage during those times. This decade it's been the complete opposite. Being nerdy and queer has been the rage.(There's nothing ring with being that way) But I must admit, things have become completely wussified. It's been kinda hard having the personality like mine in this era. For example, I maybe geeky and kind, but at the same time I still have my masculine peronsality.

I can completely relate to this in bold. You know, nerds being accepted, or being nerdy this decade doesn't necessarily mean it's the stereotypical "nerd look" or stereotypical "nerd personality" you'd see in pop culture throughout the 90's or 2000's. It's actually a cool type nerd look that has formed over the last several years. You got gamer girls or really smart girls who are considered as nerds because of how good at the game they are or how smart they are but in reality they have a cool look & personality to themselves and they're really fun to hang out with. Then you actually have people wearing glasses being accepted as a "style" now. Wearing glasses actually adds to your "swagger". A lot of people these days who are into comic books or serial drama shows (nerd culture in a sense) can actually be masculine people at the time.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 12/21/16 at 4:28 am

I can completely relate to this in bold. You know, nerds being accepted, or being nerdy this decade doesn't necessarily mean it's the stereotypical "nerd look" or stereotypical "nerd personality" you'd see in pop culture throughout the 90's or 2000's. It's actually a cool type nerd look that has formed over the last several years. You got gamer girls or really smart girls who are considered as nerds because of how good at the game they are or how smart they are but in reality they have a cool look & personality to themselves and they're really fun to hang out with. Then you actually have people wearing glasses being accepted as a "style" now. Wearing glasses actually adds to your "swagger". A lot of people these days who are into comic books or serial drama shows (nerd culture in a sense) can actually be masculine people at the time.

Everything you said is correct my friend. :)  Badass nerdy culture is always welcome. You could make a strong argument it's been the rage the past few years of the 10s.
The big issue that I think I was addressing in my earlier post is that it needs to be embraced more I think. The extreme, gangsta, and bling bling style of the 90s and 00s felt embraced and played a major part in the cluture.
The nerdy,cool, badass fad just needs to feel more important. Also there needs to be a new manly, badass form of music as well.

I just want culture to feel manly again, which is kinda what the point of this thread is.  :\'( I'm sick and tired of this Feminem vibe I've gotten from this era/decade so far.... >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Written By: nintieskid999 on 12/21/16 at 4:48 am

It was a lot bigger than that. It was more like 25%. I remember when they dominated the malls and saw lots of emo teens and saw people at the bus stops. It was ESPECIALLY HUGE in 06 and 07.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 12/21/16 at 4:50 am

I think the words just changed around. Neckbeard and legbeard are the new words for what were considered nerds before this decade.

Written By: aja675 on 12/21/16 at 5:02 am

I agree that the focus on masculinity has lessened in the 2010s, however it really shouldn't be a big concern. If anything, I think it's good that everyone is following their own paths and not basing themselves on a bunch of stereotypes. As for myself, I wouldn't consider myself to be a stereotypical masculine. On a test based on mentality (which is on the Personality Cafe forums), I scored 64% for feminine, 63% for androgynous and 42% for masculine. Despite these results, I don't act like a feminist, i'm a straight male and I don't view myself as being any other gender. Quite frankly, I believe there are more pressing issues in society than whether someone is masculine or not. It really shouldn't matter in this day and age, in my opinion.
Where's that test?

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/21/16 at 5:13 am

I agree. Pitbull may be the only hope left for masculinity. And Ke$ha is the epitome of the feminine ideal.

No wonder that they made such great music together.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 12/21/16 at 5:14 am

Where's that test?

The link to the test is below. You don't need a Personality Cafe account (or any account, for that matter) to do it.

http://garote.bdmonkeys.net/bsri.html

The link to the Personality Cafe thread is below:

http://personalitycafe.com/myers-briggs-forum/485330-mbti-type-gender-roles-test.html

Written By: aja675 on 12/21/16 at 5:25 am

60.0833 masculine points
67.5 feminine points
66.667 androgynous points

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/21/16 at 5:41 am

Isn't yours #Knickstape or something. Get your own! :P

I thought that was a sports Twitter account.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 12/21/16 at 6:26 am

I agree. Pitbull may be the only hope left for masculinity. And Ke$ha is the epitome of the feminine ideal.

No wonder that they made such great music together.

I think Pitbull enhances any song he touches. I'm not a Kesha fan by an stretch of the imagination but when I heard Pitbull's verse on the song, I was sold instantly. I wish more rappers followed in his example rather than Drake's.

Wake up sheeple!!!! ;D

I've noticed that a lot of men these days are feeling more ashamed to be masculine and it's *cooler* to be outwardly feminine and if not explicitly that, they're usually nerdy or something that in the past was considered lame and socially inept. It's cool these days to be a neckbeard nu male who's always on 4chan and reddit and plays too much online RPG's. Growing up today's gotta suck. I'm not a macho dude at all but when I was growing up, we had the X-Games and it was cool to ride skateboards and get big full body scrapes! Bands like Green Day and The Offspring weren't dudes who had big muscles in tank tops but they were pop punk slacker types who wore ripped up baggy clothes, messy hair and provided the soundtrack to my and other teens of the time's adolescence. While that stuff isn't masculine in the traditional sense I think you know what I mean by my examples. Like, they were still dudes, you know.

Written By: 2001 on 12/21/16 at 8:51 am

60.0833 masculine points
67.5 feminine points

67.5 masculine points
72.5 féminine points
60.blahblahblah androgynous (the page refreshed, mess!)

Sit down ladies, let me get that seat for ya.

It was a lot bigger than that. It was more like 25%. I remember when they dominated the malls and saw lots of emo teens and saw people at the bus stops. It was ESPECIALLY HUGE in 06 and 07.

What can I say other than no? Do you know how big 25% is? One in every four people you meet? All my manly math skills can say is no.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 12/21/16 at 9:32 am

I took the test earlier but closed the tab. I think I got around 76% masculine, 40% feminism and 65% androgynous. I'm a fairly manly man if you guys must know.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/21/16 at 10:43 am

60.0833 masculine points
67.5 feminine points

67.5 masculine points
63.333 feminine points
73.333 androgynous points

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 12/21/16 at 10:52 am

'You scored 73.333 out of 100 masculine points, 64.167 out of 100 feminine points, and 63.333 out of 100 androgynous (neutral) points.'

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/21/16 at 10:54 am

'You scored 73.333 out of 100 masculine points, 64.167 out of 100 feminine points, and 63.333 out of 100 androgynous (neutral) points.'

Wow. You're more feminine than me by a point. Pretty interesting, I guess.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/21/16 at 10:55 am

I'm scared to take the test. Physically, I'm at least masculine. I'm 5'11", without shoes and socks. If only I would bulk up with muscle, and lose some weight.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/21/16 at 10:56 am

I'm scared to take the test. Physically, I'm at least masculine. I'm 5'11", without shoes and socks. If only I would bulk up with muscle, and lose some weight.

It's just an online test. I don't see why you're afraid, lol.

Written By: 2001 on 12/21/16 at 11:35 am

I took the test earlier but closed the tab. I think I got around 76% masculine, 40% feminism and 65% androgynous. I'm a fairly manly man if you guys must know.

You need to get in touch with your feminine side and be more compassionate before you push that teenager onto the train tracks.

Written By: 2001 on 12/21/16 at 11:35 am

It's a personality test.

Written By: #Infinity on 12/21/16 at 11:50 am

50.833 masculine points
90.833 feminine points
63.333 androgynous points

Written By: Howard on 12/21/16 at 3:06 pm

I agree.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 12/21/16 at 4:20 pm

67.5 masculine points
72.5 féminine points
60.blahblahblah androgynous (the page refreshed, mess!)

Sit down ladies, let me get that seat for ya.

At least your results are fairly equal. My feminine points were 64%, androgynous results were 63% and masculine points were 42%! Maybe I should be the one getting a seat for the ladies. :P

Written By: 2001 on 12/21/16 at 4:55 pm

At least your results are fairly equal. My feminine points were 64%, androgynous results were 63% and masculine points were 42%! Maybe I should be the one getting a seat for the ladies. :P

It kind of goes to show how silly it can be to try to quantify or even define this sort of thing. ;D

I also don't get what androgynous is in this context :o I'm guessing if you pick more middle of the road answers, it would be more androgynous?

Written By: #Infinity on 12/21/16 at 5:02 pm

It kind of goes to show how silly it can be to try to quantify or even define this sort of thing. ;D

I also don't get what androgynous is in this context :o I'm guessing if you pick more middle of the road answers, it would be more androgynous?

Or just anything that defies normality, i.e., the "conventional," "individualistic," and "independent" questions, meaning you don't embrace your own gender, but without necessarily identifying with the other instead.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/21/16 at 5:46 pm

It's a personality test.

No!

Written By: 80sfan on 12/21/16 at 6:38 pm

I got 48.33% Masculine, 70.833% Feminine, and 62.5% androgynous.  :)

Written By: 2001 on 12/21/16 at 6:41 pm

Or just anything that defies normality, i.e., the "conventional," "individualistic," and "independent" questions, meaning you don't embrace your own gender, but without necessarily identifying with the other instead.

Looks like you're right about there being certain androgynous traits. I controlled for everything and clicked often on all of them. I get 100 masculine/100 feminine/100 androgynous.

Varying "conventional", it dropped to 100/100/95, suggesting it's an androgynous trait.

Varying "individualistic" it dropped to 95/100/100, suggesting it's a masculine trait.

Varying "independent" it dropped to 95/100/100, suggesting it's a masculine trait as well.

Written By: 2001 on 12/21/16 at 7:29 pm

I got 48.33% Masculine, 70.833% Feminine, and 62.5% androgynous.  :)

You have to be more angry. Rah-rah-rah!!

Written By: Emman on 12/21/16 at 7:40 pm

This is a complex topic related to changes in technology, social changes, ect. I myself don't self-identify as very masculine or feminine, definitely not some up in your face macho stereotype.

I am closer to a quiet, stoic masculinity embodied by men like Clint Eastwood.

I don't like a lot of talk from certain elements on the left/feminists about how white straight men are obsolete, shaming them for their identity(toxic masculinity), this never works and only brings greater social division.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/21/16 at 8:04 pm

You have to be more angry. Rah-rah-rah!!

I've been angry before. It was nasty!  :-[  :-[

Also, I'm stubborn. I don't change for no one.  :-X

Written By: 2001 on 12/21/16 at 8:07 pm

I've been angry before. It was nasty!  :-[  :-[

Also, I'm stubborn. I don't change for no one.  :-X

These are all very manly things.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/21/16 at 8:11 pm

These are all very manly things.

Your intellect is pretty masculine. Very sharp!  :)

Written By: 2001 on 12/21/16 at 8:13 pm

Your intellect is pretty masculine. Very sharp!  :)

But in the video Eric posted, Obama was too smart and girly, so he voted for Tr*mp who was angry and manly :o

Written By: 80sfan on 12/21/16 at 8:22 pm

But in the video Eric posted, Obama was too smart and girly, so he voted for Tr*mp who was angry and manly :o

Obama does have feminine qualities, no shade. He's probably very smart and articulate. And he cares about those discriminated against.
But he can be masculine in a stoic and quiet way. His mind is probably sharp like a velociraptor.

Hannibal Lecter is 'smart' and a 'pussy', yet he would tear your limbs off while calculating how to screw with your mind.

I've seen Obama been criticized as too unemotional. So people's criticism can't always be trusted.

Written By: aspireone on 12/21/16 at 8:24 pm

After watching these vids made by Lenoard Banks it got me thinking.... has masculinity taken a downturn during this decade? If so will Trump ''fix it?''
J_qqPJiTuSo&t=3s 0TJjp673McE&t=144s

If he is using Donald Trump as a standard for masculinity, then you guys seem to embrace the most negative parts of it (gee, talking about how you want to rape someone sure is masculine)

Anyways, what is your obsession with masculinity and manliness Eazy-EMAN199? Are you that hateful of femininity or something? are you insecure?

I have barely been a member in this site, but I can easily recognize your obsession with manliness and your backlash against anythingn not. From your post criticizing Yu Yu Hakusho's Kurama for being "GIRLY" to your previous post whining how the 2010s hate manliness, it seems like you have a major issue about this.

All this hullabaloo about manliness, coming from someone who uses an avatar of a character who is voiced by a wonderful woman in her 70s. An avatar of a character who I can describe as being purely apathetic towards manliness since his character do not give an F about social norms to begin with.
A character who has dressed up in girl's clothing in the past
A character who used to always sleep specifically on his grandpa's GENITALS.

Anyways, Nothing wrong with being masculine, feminine, gangsta etc. as long you don't go all rapey and misogynist/misandrist and spit.
Except if the person is an extremist, when a person talks about toxic masculinity, he/she is talking about the homophobic/rapey aspect (and don't act like that part doesn't exist)

Written By: 2001 on 12/21/16 at 8:47 pm

Obama does have feminine qualities, no shade. He's probably very smart and articulate. And he cares about those discriminated against.
But he can be masculine in a stoic and quiet way. His mind is probably sharp like a velociraptor.

Hannibal Lecter is 'smart' and a 'pussy', yet he would tear your limbs off while calculating how to screw with your mind.

I've seen Obama been criticized as too unemotional. So people's criticism can't always be trusted.

Yeah, like the test says, although I can't say how accurate or scientific it is, femininity and masculinity aren't contradictory. You can be both. Even I got a high score in both! Obama is very smart, calculating, but also very compassionate and caring.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/21/16 at 8:51 pm

Yeah, like the test says, although I can't say how accurate or scientific it is, femininity and masculinity aren't contradictory. You can be both. Even I got a high score in both! Obama is very smart, calculating, but also very compassionate and caring.

I wanted to bake cookies for my first grade teacher, once.  :-X  :-X

Written By: 2001 on 12/21/16 at 10:16 pm

Personally, I don't think a universal masculinity or femininity exists. It's based on culture, and a truly enlightened culture wouldn't base itself around strict gender roles. The way my parents raised me, someone like Tramp wouldn't be considered very masculine. He's emotional, easily triggered, not very scientific or mathematical (doesn't believe in climate change and absolute sh*t at math from what I've seen), abandoned his wife and children (not a provider), buys and wears gold (gold is considered very girly, and actually sinful for a man to wear) and gets cosmetic operations like spray tans. All that would considered very effeminate. But in America, someone like Trump is considered the epitome of manliness. Who is right and who is wrong? The answer is, they're both wrong. There is no such thing as (social) masculinity or femininity.

I mean, you don't even have to compare different countries. Compare your own! In the 18th century, make-up and cosmetics were for men. Women wearing make-up was considered unladylike. Pink was considered a masculine and tough colour. Who even decides this stuff?

Knowing this, I'd say people who would harp on about this sort of thing don't sound very well travelled to me.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 12/21/16 at 10:50 pm

I don't get how the hell Trump is considered this big masculine figure. He's the exact opposite, if you ask me. These stupid young internet neckbeards are really reaching. You don't seem more "contrarian to the mainstream", "mature" or "adult" if you think you're "traditional and follow masculine figures like Donald Trump." You just look like a stupid turd.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 12/21/16 at 11:15 pm

I don't get how the hell Trump is considered this big masculine figure. He's the exact opposite, if you ask me. These stupid young internet neckbeards are really reaching. You don't seem more "contrarian to the mainstream", "mature" or "adult" if you think you're "traditional and follow masculine figures like Donald Trump." You just look like a stupid turd.

THIS. If anything if you follow Trump like his lap dog, you're the complete opposite of masculine. You're just his bitch ;D

I'm not knocking Trump supporters, but I find it ironic how the same guy these guys worship, who portrays himself as this 'macho tough guy', was the same guy who skipped a Primary debate because Megyn Kelly was supposed to be monitoring it or how he was so insecure of his d!ck size he had to defend the size of his hands. This guy has & always has been a joke, and in all honesty, just a 'right wing' SJW.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 12/21/16 at 11:50 pm

THIS. If anything if you follow Trump like his lap dog, you're the complete opposite of masculine. You're just his bitch ;D

I'm not knocking Trump supporters, but I find it ironic how the same guy these guys worship, who portrays himself as this 'macho tough guy', was the same guy who skipped a Primary debate because Megyn Kelly was supposed to be monitoring it or how he was so insecure of his d!ck size he had to defend the size of his hands. This guy has & always has been a joke, and in all honesty, just a 'right wing' SJW.

The dude's a total imbecile and I don't know how his followers don't see this. Oh right, because a good amount of them are meme obsessed neckbeards. ::)

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 12/21/16 at 11:53 pm

The dude's a total imbecile and I don't know how his followers don't see this. Oh right, because a good amount of them are meme obsessed neckbeards. ::)

So true ;D

Written By: Zelek3 on 12/22/16 at 1:09 am

12 year olds don't usually have beards. ;)

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 12/22/16 at 2:44 am

Anyways, what is your obsession with masculinity and manliness Eazy-EMAN199? Are you that hateful of femininity or something? are you insecure?

I have barely been a member in this site, but I can easily recognize your obsession with manliness and your backlash against anythingn not. From your post criticizing Yu Yu Hakusho's Kurama for being "GIRLY" to your previous post whining how the 2010s hate manliness, it seems like you have a major issue about this.

All this hullabaloo about manliness, coming from someone who uses an avatar of a character who is voiced by a wonderful woman in her 70s.
andpa's GENITALS.

Anyways, Nothing wrong with being masculine, feminine, gangsta etc. as long you don't go all rapey and misogynist/misandrist and spit.
Except if the person is an extremist, when a person talks about toxic masculinity, he/she is talking about the homophobic/rapey aspect (and don't act like that part doesn't exist)

Ok, first off I don't have an obsesssion of masculinty at all. I just liked and agreed with what Leonard said to some degree. I just wanted to make this thread so we could have finals and talk about it.
And I don't recall saying that Kurama ffrom Yu Yu Hakusho was too girly... He's my second fav character. You're just trying to troll me and the last part of your little rant was completely unnecessary....

Written By: aspireone on 12/22/16 at 4:28 am

Ok, first off I don't have an obsesssion of masculinty at all. I just liked and agreed with what Leonard said to some degree. I just wanted to make this thread so we could have finals and talk about it.
And I don't recall saying that Kurama ffrom Yu Yu Hakusho was too girly... He's my second fav character. You're just trying to troll me and the last part of your little rant was completely unnecessary....

Oops, looks like I mistook a youtube comment as a post of yours....
Anyways, I'm not trying to troll, I really just observed how you seem to be a huge fan of manliness, which isn't really wrong mind you

You're right that the last part of my rant was completely unnecessary, but I wrote it since I don't really consider Goku to be that manly to begin with, ignoring his muscles and his martial arts

On topic, Trump is surely gonna empower a lot of groups. Seeing as how a backlash of toxic masculinity is a thing  this decade, I'm pretty sure those who used to hide their "masculinity" will be empowered to show their true colors.
Since this is Trump we are talking about, the more negative aspects of what our culture considers to be "masculine" will make a bigger comeback. O

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 12/22/16 at 4:51 am

Oops, looks like I mistook a youtube comment as a post of yours....
Anyways, I'm not trying to troll, I really just observed how you seem to be a huge fan of manliness, which isn't really wrong mind you

You're right that the last part of my rant was completely unnecessary, but I wrote it since I don't really consider Goku to be that manly to begin with, ignoring his muscles and his martial arts

On topic, Trump is surely gonna empower a lot of groups. Seeing as how a backlash of toxic masculinity is a thing  this decade, I'm pretty sure those who used to hide their "masculinity" will be empowered to show their true colors.
Since this is Trump we are talking about, the more negative aspects of what our culture considers to be "masculine" will make a bigger comeback. O

Well, tbh It's not really masculinty that I'm truly a fan of. It's the badass and cool type of culture that I'm a fan of. Goku for example is a cool and badass character, despite being somewhat childish and goofy. Trunks, my fav character is a MAJOR badass.

I just want this current nerdy, yet badass culture of this era to be more embraced. I'm a big fan of the comic book/sci fi type culture this decade, it's been badass and cool. The fad needs to be embraced more widely like how the gangsta and extreme fad was embrcaed when I was a kid. It needs to overtake the SJW, PC, OVERLY sensitive crap of the last few years PRONTO. Like I said before, I also hope there's a new cool and smooth genre of music. Like how post grunge and hip hop/r&b was growing up.  :\'(

And unfortunately you're correct. Trump taking over will sadly have the jerkoff, asshole type of masculinty making a comeback. Lordy Jesus help us all. >:(

Written By: JordanK1982 on 12/22/16 at 8:14 am

12 year olds don't usually have beards. ;)

Lol too true.

http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/001/121/676/8af.png

::) ::)

Written By: #Infinity on 12/22/16 at 10:27 am

You know, Donald Trump and his alt-right brand are actually a little familiar...

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/64/Andrew_Jackson.jpg
* "The white populists are being oppressed by the establishment elites!"
* "Minorities are an intrusion to the lives of true Americans and should be deported!"
* "I'm not like my crooked presidential rival! I have true credibility that represents what Americans really want!"
* "I'm gonna bring in a cabinet that really cooks! It's all about who I think are the greatest people, not their system-approved qualifications!"
* "If you threaten me personally, I'm gonna make sure I get you while I'm the chief executive!"
* "Our financial system is corrupt and monopolistic, not to mention run by nasties! I will do everything to sweep it clean by the end of my administration, regardless of what happens next!"

Written By: JordanK1982 on 12/22/16 at 11:38 am

You know, Donald Trump and his alt-right brand are actually a little familiar...

* "Minorities are an intrusion to the lives of true Americans and should be deported!"
* "I'm not like my crooked presidential rival! I have true credibility that represents what Americans really want!"
* "I'm gonna bring in a cabinet that really cooks! It's all about who I think are the greatest people, not their system-approved qualifications!"
* "If you threaten me personally, I'm gonna make sure I get you while I'm the chief executive!"
* "Our financial system is corrupt and monopolistic, not to mention run by nasties! I will do everything to sweep it clean by the end of my administration, regardless of what happens next!"

Trump Jackson!

Written By: mxcrashxm on 12/22/16 at 12:06 pm

Actually, that's some thing I have noticed this whole decade. Masculinity has shapely declined due to the pretentious, SJW and other PC BS that has spread like wildfire. Now with Trump, that will definitely make a comeback, but not in a positive way. I have this main feeling that misogyny might increase rapidly due to the next president's comments.

Now with masculinity alone, why are guys not considered men if they are not manly enough? Who got to decide on that? Just because some guys have feminine traits doesn't make them a sissyboy. That makes them a real man! In fact, it's normal for everyone to have both manly and girly characteristics. Hell, even the LGBT have both despite their attraction towards the same gender or both.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/22/16 at 12:33 pm

Actually, that's some thing I have noticed this whole decade. Masculinity has shapely declined due to the pretentious, SJW and other PC BS that has spread like wildfire. Now with Trump, that will definitely make a comeback, but not in a positive way. I have this main feeling that misogyny might increase rapidly due to the next president's comments.

Now with masculinity alone, why are guys not considered men if they are not manly enough? Who got to decide on that? Just because some guys have feminine traits doesn't make them a sissyboy. That makes them a real man! In fact, it's normal for everyone to have both manly and girly characteristics. Hell, even the LGBT have both despite their attraction towards the same gender or both.

No one, I guess. Human nature. Men are more aggressive than women just by nature alone. Teenage young men and in their 20's are very aggressive. It doesn't mean that all men are the same and that all women are the same. But that doesn't mean that sexism and discrimination is okay either.

Written By: #Infinity on 12/22/16 at 1:36 pm

Hell, even the LGBT have both despite their attraction towards the same gender or both.

Yep, how do you think I got a score of 90.833 feminine points yet only 50.833 masculine points (the points that I did get apparently mostly the result of my resistance to modern culture) on the questionnaire, despite identifying solidly as a lesbian? The overwhelming majority of straight females who took the test on Personality Cafe were more masculine and less feminine than I was.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/22/16 at 2:20 pm

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ9OCrW-aqsyiKCy-EGkIO1mnGI7ZFJQ2PuCjbeIUQzL6UhsxmJcg

Written By: Howard on 12/22/16 at 2:46 pm

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ9OCrW-aqsyiKCy-EGkIO1mnGI7ZFJQ2PuCjbeIUQzL6UhsxmJcg

;D

Written By: 2001 on 12/22/16 at 4:34 pm

http://media.graytvinc.com/images/810*455/Trump-Golf-AP.jpg

Written By: 80sfan on 12/22/16 at 4:45 pm

8-P  8-P  ;D

Written By: 2001 on 12/22/16 at 5:23 pm

He has wild eyebrows :o Manly. *votes*

Written By: 80sfan on 12/22/16 at 6:28 pm

He has wild eyebrows :o Manly. *votes*

Hmmmmm, he's a bit crusty for my taste.  :P

Written By: 2001 on 12/22/16 at 10:29 pm

Hmmmmm, he's a bit crusty for my taste.  :P

We need more crusty and rough texture men! Men are too soft these days.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 12/22/16 at 11:16 pm

If he has crust, take him to a doctor!

Written By: Howard on 12/23/16 at 7:26 am

I agree.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/23/16 at 7:51 am

I meant he's too old!  :-X  :-X

Written By: 80sfan on 12/23/16 at 7:52 am

Is he sick?  :o

Written By: 2001 on 12/23/16 at 10:14 am

Yeah, so the doctors can pump him with oestrogen? You liberals are disgusting.

Written By: Howard on 12/23/16 at 2:40 pm

I never knew he played golf.  :o

Written By: JordanK1982 on 12/23/16 at 9:58 pm

Yeah, so the doctors can pump him with oestrogen? You liberals are disgusting.

Oestrogen!?! What's with the extra O? :P

Written By: 2001 on 12/23/16 at 11:12 pm

Oestrogen!?! What's with the extra O? :P

I use royal spelling, because I am royal. Oestrogen, oesophagus, foetus, onomatopoeia, oeggs, and so on.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 12/23/16 at 11:17 pm

I use royal spelling, because I am royal. Oestrogen, oesophagus, foetus, onomatopoeia, oeggs, and so on.

I thought that was just regular Canadian. :P ;)

Written By: 2001 on 12/23/16 at 11:21 pm

I thought that was just regular Canadian. :P ;)

Regular Canadians are royal, unlike Lorde and the Kiwis. We are descendants of Justin Bieber.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 12/23/16 at 11:22 pm

Regular Canadians are royal. We are descendants of Justin Bieber.

Oh jeez. ::) When will you ever learn that Bieber ain't worth the gum under my shoe. Pitbull is true royalty. The man is pure class. 8)

Written By: 2001 on 12/23/16 at 11:30 pm

Oh jeez. ::) When will you ever learn that Bieber ain't worth the gun under my shoe. Pitbull is true royalty. The man is pure class. 8)

Silly. The only royalty America has are the Clintons and Trump and his cabinet and then the rest of you are the tributary plebians. https://hydra-media.cursecdn.com/dota2.gamepedia.com/a/af/Emoticon_laugh.gif

Written By: JordanK1982 on 12/23/16 at 11:33 pm

Silly. The only royalty America has are the Clintons and Trump and his cabinet and then the rest of you are the tributary plebians. https://hydra-media.cursecdn.com/dota2.gamepedia.com/a/af/Emoticon_laugh.gif

How can you look at this much class and say it isn't royalty?

http://gazettereview.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/pitbull-header.png

There is something wrong with you if you can't recognize what a gem to society Pitbull is. 8)

Written By: 2001 on 12/23/16 at 11:34 pm

He looks like a club bouncer who takes extra long searching your lady friends.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/23/16 at 11:53 pm

How can you look at this much class and say it isn't royalty?

http://gazettereview.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/pitbull-header.png

There is something wrong with you if you can't recognize what a gem to society Pitbull is. 8)

I like his style, but not a fan of his music. :.ducks:.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 12/24/16 at 12:49 am

The lady friends offer. 8)

I like his style, but not a fan of his music. :.ducks:.

You should give him a chance. His music is really good!

Written By: Howard on 12/24/16 at 7:14 am

He looks like Kojak with a beard.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 12/24/16 at 9:06 am

Guys, stop sh!t talking Pitbull. He's a good artist and a classy guy. Honestly, listen to any artist on the radio nowadays. Pitbull is the only good thing left. DALE!

Written By: 2001 on 12/24/16 at 12:02 pm

Guys, stop sh!t talking Pitbull. He's a good artist and a classy guy. Honestly, listen to any artist on the radio nowadays. Pitbull is the only good thing left. DALE!

What is DALE?

Written By: Slim95 on 12/24/16 at 12:25 pm

What is DALE?

That's what Pitbulll says in every single one of his songs. He also says "Mr world wide" or something like that.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 12/24/16 at 12:53 pm

What is DALE?

I guess I must educate the uneducated. ::)

http://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2014/08/23/342530922/to-pitbull-fans-around-the-world-dale-is-a-way-of-life

DALE!

Written By: Howard on 12/24/16 at 12:59 pm

I just watched a few of his videos, he's not my cup of tea but he does have the sexiest women.  ;)

Written By: Howard on 12/24/16 at 1:00 pm

That's what Pitbulll says in every single one of his songs. He also says "Mr world wide" or something like that.

That's new to me.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 12/24/16 at 1:04 pm

I just watched a few of his videos, he's not my cup of tea but he does have the sexiest women.  ;)

Mr. Worldwide has fine taste. 8)

Written By: 2001 on 12/24/16 at 1:23 pm

Not Jordan knowing more about contemporary pop culture than me. You can never understand these millennials with their new fangled slang.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 12/24/16 at 1:37 pm

Not Jordan knowing more about contemporary pop culture than me. You can never understand these millennials with their new fangled slang.

Dale is an old skool Spanish slang my friend. 8)

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/24/16 at 1:56 pm

And he parties with all of them.  :P

Written By: JordanK1982 on 12/24/16 at 6:42 pm

And he parties with all of them.  :P

Oh yeah! Pitbull always gives the ladies the attention they need. 8)

Written By: BornIn86 on 01/08/17 at 4:03 pm

In some ways it's lessened. Especially among teens who seem to take pride in being effeminate.

Perhaps under a Trump presidency, with the rise of trolling culture and teens seeming to gravitate that ("fuk da PC police, Trump tells it like it is bro. Sorry, did I trigger you there?"), masculinity among teens will make a comeback (though in a douchey way). American pop culture tends to shift based on who's president at the time, i.e. during the Bush and Reagan presidencies, we got a bunch of hyper-patriotic chest-pumping action movies.

Edit: Remove controversial opinion

I have no problem with masculinity. When I go to gay events, I tend to be a number 7 on the Fem-Masc 1-10 scale. I do have a HUGE problem with douchiness.  I would rather stay in this era than enter an era where Trumpet trolls dominate the culture. A lot of those people are literally racist and sexist and if you think a bunch of people who believe the U.S. would be better without non-whites (or all nonwhites except Asians) dominating the culture will make things better instead of insanely worse, I have a bridge to sell you. If these people take hold, we'll go from imitating the 60s to emulating The Nadir.

I'm more than fine with the ridiculous and divisive proponents/arguments of social justice being shaved off tho.

Here is the thing about Trump. He ain't like other Republican presidents and he ain't like other presidents in general. I may not have approved of Bush but he did carry himself around with a degree of dignity. Trump carries himself with the amount of dignity a stereotypical reality TV showrunner carries. Trump is the first potential president/president-elect I've ever witnessed where most of his supporter's argument is "c'mon! Just give him a chance!"

Written By: BornIn86 on 01/08/17 at 4:04 pm

I think people should just do what they want and be themselves whether that's masculine or feminine, both or neither. Pop culture should not have to dictate what a person likes or how they behave.

This.

Written By: 2001 on 01/08/17 at 4:44 pm

The late 2010s will be defined more strongly by an anti-Trump sentiment rather than a pro-Trump sentiment.

His presidency hasn't even started with it, and already his net approval rating is negative. History shows us that's only headed downwards. Inauguration day is the highest you can expect the president's approval to be. After that, the president has to make unpopular decisions that ends the honeymoon season.

Considering also that it's the youth who drive popular culture, and California, I wonder what Trump's approval rating among the 11-29 demographic looks like. According to YouGov (links to PDF file), his approval rating is 44% among the general population, but that drops to 30% among those aged 18 to 29, and the disapproval rating is 58% among that age grouop. These people are not going to start buying pro-Trump anthems lol, quite the opposite ;D

What this means is that you should hold onto your florals. You ain't seen nothin'

Written By: wixness on 01/08/17 at 5:17 pm

Not sure if Trump will change it.

I mean, emos were those who rebelled against Bush, and they were a bunch of girly-looking wusses!

I don't get why emo died out in the 2010s when we've become more accepting of gay guys. Heck, if you look at old YT videos, people would be saying stuff along the lines that emo is gay on videos that date from 2007.

I even have a blog entry on it:

https://s30.postimg.org/pr2z0u9vl/2017_01_08_23_28_15_A_2010s_paradox_Blogs_Pe.png

Written By: BornIn86 on 01/08/17 at 5:33 pm

55 out of 100 Masc
56,667 out 100 fem
65 out of 100 androgynous

Interesting. Usually, if I don't come out to a group of guys, they'll assume I'm str8 for 1-3 months. After, they'll start noticing or accepting that something is not quite str8 about me. lol

Written By: 2001 on 01/08/17 at 6:10 pm

I don't get why emo died out in the 2010s when we've become more accepting of gay guys. Heck, if you look at old YT videos, people would be saying stuff along the lines that emo is gay on videos that date from 2007.

I even have a blog entry on it:

The ties that the emo subculture had to the LGBT community were really minimal at best. You didn't have to be homophobic to despise the commercialization of a culture of excessive depression (or appearance of it) and the cutting/suicide it was associated with. Even the aesthetics of it can be off-putting to some, and the music was considered to be low-quality by many.

That said, the 2000s were an incredibly homophobic decade, and the late 2000s weren't an exception. "Gay" meant homosexual (men), but in the 2000s, it was also synonymous with lame, terrible, undesirable, stupid etc. People would call things "gay" simply if they didn't like it, and that could include emo. An example sentence, "Ugh, it's snowing today? That's so gay". If you talk to people in their mid-20s to mid-30s, you'll still see the word commonly being used that way. Thankfully, with people 21 and under, I don't see it being used that way as often, so that's good.

Written By: wixness on 01/08/17 at 6:17 pm

The ties that the emo subculture had to the LGBT community were really minimal at best. You didn't have to be homophobic to despise the commercialization of a culture of excessive depression (or appearance of it) and the cutting/suicide it was associated with. Even the aesthetics of it can be off-putting to some, and the music was considered to be low-quality by many.

That said, the 2000s were an incredibly homophobic decade, and the late 2000s weren't an exception. "Gay" meant homosexual (men), but in the 2000s, it was also synonymous with lame, terrible, undesirable, stupid etc. People would call things "gay" simply if they didn't like it, and that could include emo. An example sentence, "Ugh, it's snowing today? That's so gay". If you talk to people in their mid-20s to mid-30s, you'll still see the word commonly being used that way. Thankfully, with people 21 and under, I don't see it being used that way as often, so that's good.

The LGBT community doesn't really dig that aesthetic (this thread may be an exception), but there's enough pics of emo guys kissing online that it's made people have that connotation.

Written By: wixness on 01/08/17 at 6:25 pm

Men in the late 2000s wore hair like those of emo guys even though they weren't emo themselves, I reckon that's why Bieber and Zac Efron were so derided (granted, Bieber had a squeaky voice and Efron was in some preteen chick flick).

Dunno about Alexander Rybak though.

Written By: BornIn86 on 01/08/17 at 6:26 pm

Actually...I would say the title of this article puts it best.

https://www.queerty.com/the-2000s-were-awesome-for-homosexuals-except-if-youre-in-high-school-or-the-military-20091216

Written By: 2001 on 01/08/17 at 6:36 pm

The LGBT community doesn't really dig that aesthetic (this thread may be an exception), but there's enough pics of emo guys kissing online that it's made people have that connotation.

I watched some of those in 2008  :-[

I don't remember making the connection between emo and homosexuality though. From what I remember, emo was usually derided as "upper middle class suburban white boys who think they have it tough and cry about everything" ;D

I used to post in the Gamespot forums when I was a teen. Here's what I used to read about emo in the late 2000s (2007-2009)

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/offtopic-discussion-314159273/hate-towards-emoscenehardcore-kids-26922613/
http://www.gamespot.com/forums/offtopic-discussion-314159273/emoscenehardcore-kids-26922614/
http://www.gamespot.com/forums/offtopic-discussion-314159273/do-emos-still-exist-in-america-26130552/
http://www.gamespot.com/forums/offtopic-discussion-314159273/emo-kids-25963590/

Written By: 2001 on 01/08/17 at 6:39 pm

Actually...I would say the title of this article puts it best.

https://www.queerty.com/the-2000s-were-awesome-for-homosexuals-except-if-youre-in-high-school-or-the-military-20091216

Hmm, the title of the article seems true at first glance, but there's not much in the article to back it up. In fact, one can use those statistics to paint the 2000s in a very bad light ;D

It was better than the '80s and '90s, though, for sure.

Written By: tv on 01/08/17 at 7:41 pm

A lot to digest look through these posts but I will ramble on here:

First of all I think Trump just acts macho for the camera's at times but he is really not really that manly.

As far me being manly I like the usual guy stuff like sports and cars. Aside from that I'm pretty neutral between masculine and feminine qualities. I am an INFJ personality type and INFJ's are usually pretty mature. 

Written By: tv on 01/08/17 at 7:51 pm

I've seen Obama been criticized as too unemotional.
So people's criticism can't always be trusted.
I do think Obama is very introverted. I don't find him to be an extrovert. He likes playing golf and is a big sports watcher. He has a few close friends I think from his Chicago Circle like David Axelrod(his former senior advisor) and Valerie Jarrett.

Written By: 2001 on 01/09/17 at 11:06 am

55 out of 100 Masc
56,667 out 100 fem
65 out of 100 androgynous

Interesting. Usually, if I don't come out to a group of guys, they'll assume I'm str8 for 1-3 months. After, they'll start noticing or accepting that something is not quite str8 about me. lol

Same. Some can tell instantly, but some of my friends have known me for 5 years now still don't know ;D

I've actually had an hilarious experience this year. In the spring, I met an 18/19 year old kid at the mall. He sat at my table in the food court because there was nowhere else to sit, and we started talking and we hit it off.

At first, I thought he was gay. But he starts talking to me about his girl problems and asking me for advice. I give it to him, probably really bad advice. This goes on for like 6 months, we become really good friends.

In the fall, he calls me up for drinks. He was crying his heart out over his girl problems, asking me what to do. Then he finally asked the question he should've asked ages ago...

Him: Have you ever dated anyone?
Me: Yeah, in middle school. It was only for like 2 weeks though, then I had to move.
Him: So you didn't have a girlfriend for all of high school and uni?
Me: Oh, I never had a girlfriend, I'm gay.
Him: *worldview comes crashing down* ...What? Why didn't you tell me before? Why am I talking with you about girls?!

dsiadhasdjnaksn Mess! Why not! ;D

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/09/17 at 6:07 pm

The 2000's were full of lame fake masculinity with guys like John Cena who act tough but are the biggest sissies the world has ever seen. John Cena's favorite band is probably Hawthorne Heights or something.

The 2010's have peak era Pitbull, who is much more masculine and tough than John Cena.

Written By: wixness on 01/09/17 at 6:35 pm

The 2000's were full of lame fake masculinity with guys like John Cena who act tough but are the biggest sissies the world has ever seen. John Cena's favorite band is probably Hawthorne Heights or something.

The 2010's have peak era Pitbull, who is much more masculine and tough than John Cena.

Timber by Ke$ha ft. Pitbull sounded lame. Nothing against Pitbull since I don't know him enough, but I'd rather endure a Hawthorne Heights album than a Calvin Harris one (he makes most of the awful music here in the UK). I'd rather have something that sounds nice, masculinity be damned. If it sounds like a sloppy mess, it was a sloppy mess to start off with.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/09/17 at 6:37 pm

Timber by Ke$ha ft. Pitbull sounded lame. Nothing against Pitbull since I don't know him enough, but I'd rather endure a Hawthorne Heights album than a Calvin Harris one (he makes most of the awful music here in the UK). I'd rather have something that sounds nice

I don't like Calvin Harris, either. He sucks! So do Hawthrone Heights, though... :-X I can understand why you didn't like Timber since Kesha's lines ruined the song but I suggest you check out his album Planet Pit to get a better feel for his music. You might enjoy it. ;)

Written By: 2001 on 01/09/17 at 6:43 pm

Calvin Harris annihilates Pitbull completely. That's god-tier EDM and club music.

Written By: wixness on 01/09/17 at 6:45 pm

I don't like Calvin Harris, either. He sucks! So do Hawthrone Heights, though... :-X I can understand why you didn't like Timber since Kesha's lines ruined the song but I suggest you check out his album Planet Pit to get a better feel for his music. You might enjoy it. ;)

Even if I didn't have to listen to the lyrics, the melody was lazy. They're just trying too hard not to sound generic or childish, and that's the big problem I have with 2010s music. Artists (or their composers) created a new generic sound, one that sounded bland.

Anyway, all that really matters is not how masculine or feminine someone is, but how good they are based on what they can do, be it conforming to their gender or otherwise. A man who can design fine clothes is as good as a man who can score first place at a sporting event most of the time.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/09/17 at 6:47 pm

What the hell!? I come this thread excepting Pitbull's classy masculinity to be receiving of praise and all I see is this garbage about how Calvin "Lady-Pants" Harris is a better writer! If you think this, you probably voted for Trump and own 12 copies of John Cena and Tha Trademarc.

Even if I didn't have to listen to the lyrics, the melody was lazy. They're just trying too hard not to sound generic or childish, and that's the big problem I have with 2010s music. Artists (or their composers) created a new generic sound, one that sounded bland.

Anyway, all that really matters is not how masculine or feminine someone is, but how good they are based on what they can do, be it conforming to their gender or otherwise. A man who can design fine clothes is as good as a man who can score first place at a sporting event most of the time.

I agree. Kesha was lazy and trying too hard. She should of just let Pitbull do his thang and everything would of gone smoothly.

Written By: 2001 on 01/09/17 at 6:53 pm

I thought Calvin Harris was a chick until I realized he simply doesn't sing in his songs. Still boss.

qWWSM3wCiKY

That's the best 21st century club song after Temperature by Sean Paul. FacT.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/09/17 at 6:56 pm

Best 21st century song is Hotel Room Service. Duh.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 01/10/17 at 10:16 am

I scored 67.544 out of 100 masculine points, 54.167 out of 100 feminine points, and 70 out of 100 androgynous(neutral) points. :o :)

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/14/17 at 11:49 pm

No one, I guess. Human nature. Men are more aggressive than women just by nature alone. Teenage young men and in their 20's are very aggressive. It doesn't mean that all men are the same and that all women are the same. But that doesn't mean that sexism and discrimination is okay either.
Yeah, that's true it is human nature, and I agree with your statements. No man or woman is absolutely the same. In fact, we're all over the spectrum. Moreover, just because a guy is feminine or that a girl is masculine DOESN'T mean they should be discriminated against. Besides, there's nothing wrong with being them. They're not hurting anyone.

Yep, how do you think I got a score of 90.833 feminine points yet only 50.833 masculine points (the points that I did get apparently mostly the result of my resistance to modern culture) on the questionnaire, despite identifying solidly as a lesbian? The overwhelming majority of straight females who took the test on Personality Cafe were more masculine and less feminine than I was.
I think it's because you were being true to yourself on the questionnaire by embracing your femininity completely compared to some ladies who preferred to be in the middle.

I also apologize for responding late. I forgot this was posted and I have been meaning to reply.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/14/17 at 11:50 pm

I thought Calvin Harris was a chick until I realized he simply doesn't sing in his songs. Still boss.

qWWSM3wCiKY

That's the best 21st century club song after Temperature by Sean Paul. FacT.
Sometimes he does.

Written By: BornIn86 on 01/23/17 at 10:15 pm

I've been thinking about this thread and I'm weirded out by something. Are people in this thread annoyed that men aren't playing up their masculinity as much now or are they annoyed that hyper-masculinity gets a bad rap now?

Written By: Slim95 on 01/23/17 at 11:15 pm

I've been thinking about this thread and I'm weirded out by something. Are people in this thread annoyed that men aren't playing up their masculinity as much now or are they annoyed that hyper-masculinity gets a bad rap now?

I'm not annoyed by anything personally. I couldn't give a care about masculinity vs. femininity.  :P

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/30/17 at 4:52 pm

No. I think they were annoyed that masculinity had declined throughout this decade and now thanks to Trump, it has increased.

Written By: BornIn86 on 02/02/17 at 9:02 am

No. I think they were annoyed that masculinity had declined throughout this decade and now thanks to Trump, it has increased.

How exactly has it increased?

Written By: wixness on 02/02/17 at 12:28 pm

How exactly has it increased?

IDK. But I think this "pathological" masculinity has been more accepted when it's seen to be more socially acceptable to make others feel bad, since under Trump, masculinity doesn't consider people's feelings.

Check for new replies or respond here...