inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Early 90s comeback in the mid 2010s

Written By: aspireone on 12/22/16 at 4:53 am

Is it me or is 2016 more nostalgic for the early 90s then the early 2010s (fashion-wise at least)

Around the time this music video popped up
UqyT8IEBkvY
I've noticed that early 90s design is increasing in clothes

Just yesterday, I saw new shirts like this but brighter in the mallhttp://picture-cdn.wheretoget.it/vni4xs-i.jpg

Of course, the early 90s design have started to pop up in graphics design since at least around 2014 and bruno mars' video didn't primarily kick off the whole thing. Still, I only noticed the early 90s design influence in fashion around Q3 2016
Is this a short-lived fad or will it continue in 2017?

Subject: Re: Early 90s comeback in the mid 2010s

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/22/16 at 6:14 am

I think Bruno Mars' new song represents more of the 80s than the early 90s. Aside from that, I don't think there's a lot of early 90s vibes in 2016.

Written By: aja675 on 12/22/16 at 6:16 am

Come to think about it, this 2015 music video has the colorful graffiti aesthetic of the early '90s:

nntGTK2Fhb0

Written By: ArcticFox on 12/22/16 at 2:45 pm

If anything, it was the early 2010s that was inspired by the early '90s. House music, dance-y music, colorful and silly fashion for teenagers, Indie rock (basically the '90s mainstream alternative of the 2010's), a lot of modern hip-hop songs bringing back old-school beats and rhythms, action and comedy monopolizing movies and television, white people/black people culture, the Northeast USA determining what's cool again, etc.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 12/22/16 at 2:49 pm

If anything, it was the early 2010s that was inspired by the early '90s. House music, dance-y music, colorful and silly fashion for teenagers, Indie rock (basically the '90s mainstream alternative of the 2010's), a lot of modern hip-hop songs bringing back old-school beats and rhythms, action and comedy monopolizing movies and television, white people/black people culture, the Northeast USA determining what's cool again, etc.

THIS.

I think the mid 2010's is more in line with the mid 90's actually. The hipster for instance trend shares many traits with the grunge trend

Written By: Looney Toon on 12/22/16 at 3:09 pm

Yeah, that song by Bruno Mars along with the colorful fashion is more '80s to me. Although I always saw the colorful design trends in fashion as just something that tends to happen from time to time. Multiple decades have colorful fashion and sometimes it isn't due to nostalgia/comebacks. Sometimes trends just recycle just because that's how fashion or music works. Or at least this is how I see it.

Written By: Zelek3 on 12/22/16 at 3:14 pm

Thank you captain Obvious :P

But seriously, everyone knows the "nostalgia cycle" tends to be around 20 years. We're in more of a mid 90s comeback now, and by the end of next year we may be in a late 90s comeback.

Written By: Slim95 on 12/22/16 at 8:51 pm

But seriously, everyone knows the "nostalgia cycle" tends to be around 20 years. We're in more of a mid 90s comeback now, and by the end of next year we may be in a late 90s comeback.

It's not always like that though. Right now I see some nostalgia for everything before the 2000s including the early 90s. But I still see 1980s and 1970s nostalgia around especially from Bruno Mars' music.

Written By: #Infinity on 12/22/16 at 9:27 pm

There was also a huge comeback for hi-top fades, though they're now associated with hipsters and SJW's rather than new-jack swing. In other matters, you had a rebooted live action TMNT film franchise, revivals of Full House and plans for the return of Twin Peaks, the Hannibal TV show, and popular music leaning pretty heavily on house influences, or at least samples of early 90s house songs like in "Show Me." The whole social climate of the mid-2010s also wasn't a ton different from the early 90s, although I still stand by the notion that the 2010s are a sociopolitical repeat of the 1960s.

Written By: Zelek3 on 12/22/16 at 10:01 pm

It's not always like that though. Right now I see some nostalgia for everything before the 2000s including the early 90s. But I still see 1980s and 1970s nostalgia around especially from Bruno Mars' music.

Heck, I even see nostalgia for things from the 2000s (mostly 2000-2005/6, as expected). There are revivals of That's So Raven and Prison Break planned, TeenNick decided to add some early 00s (i.e. All Grown Up, As told by ginger, Chalkzone) shows to their 90s block, and sequels to early-mid 00s movies like Finding Dory, Monster's University, Incredibles 2, and Anchorman 2 have been released (or are planned to be released) in theaters. Also, Boost Mobile did a special edition re-release of one of their 2006 flip phones, and even had a commercial playing on mid 00s high school nostalgia.

Yeah, you're right, the nostalgia cycle doesn't always have to be 20 years. Sometimes it can be as short as 10-15 years, or as long as 30 years. As Jordan mentioned, by 1996/1997, people were already talking about how they missed the 80s, radio shows were having "80s luncheons", and 80s high school movies like Grosse Pointe Blank, Romy & Michelle, etc. were being released.

Written By: batfan2005 on 12/24/16 at 7:59 am

Actually it's around 15 years. Right now has a lot of vibes from 2000/2001. The late 90's comeback was big in the mid 2010's (Backstreet Boys). The early 90's nostalgia was most noticeable in the late 2000's.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 12/24/16 at 3:34 pm

Actually it's around 15 years. Right now has a lot of vibes from 2000/2001. The late 90's comeback was big in the mid 2010's (Backstreet Boys). The early 90's nostalgia was most noticeable in the late 2000's.

Question, do you think the year 2016 was similar to 2000? One major similarity I saw with these two years was the controversial elections and how the president-elects didn't win the popular vote

Written By: nintieskid999 on 12/24/16 at 3:58 pm

There was also a huge comeback for hi-top fades, though they're now associated with hipsters and SJW's rather than new-jack swing. In other matters, you had a rebooted live action TMNT film franchise, revivals of Full House and plans for the return of Twin Peaks, the Hannibal TV show, and popular music leaning pretty heavily on house influences, or at least samples of early 90s house songs like in "Show Me." The whole social climate of the mid-2010s also wasn't a ton different from the early 90s, although I still stand by the notion that the 2010s are a sociopolitical repeat of the 1960s.

I think it's more like a sociopolitical repeat of the 1930s.

Written By: batfan2005 on 12/25/16 at 8:26 am

Question, do you think the year 2016 was similar to 2000? One major similarity I saw with these two years was the controversial elections and how the president-elects didn't win the popular vote

Yes, I do think they are similar, especially with the elections. However, 2000 was a lot better from what I can remember. It seemed to have a happier and optimistic vibe, while 2016 was a lot darker and had a lot more tragic events, and people overall seemed to be filled with anger, fear, and hatred. In 2000, the only tragic event I can remember was the USS Cole bombing in October. In 2016, there was an attempt to attack a US vessel off the coast of Yemen (same area) with missiles, but luckily it was thwarted. I remember 2000 having the Pokemon craze (although 1999 was more like the peak), and in summer of 2016 the PokemonGo app was popular. Overall, I also liked the culture of 2000 better, with better music, movies, TV shows, and video games. It could have been because I was younger (I was 21 and single back in 2000, and having a lot of fun, and a lot of success with women).

Written By: Looney Toon on 12/25/16 at 12:47 pm

Yes, I do think they are similar, especially with the elections. However, 2000 was a lot better from what I can remember. It seemed to have a happier and optimistic vibe, while 2016 was a lot darker and had a lot more tragic events, and people overall seemed to be filled with anger, fear, and hatred. In 2000, the only tragic event I can remember was the USS Cole bombing in October. In 2016, there was an attempt to attack a US vessel off the coast of Yemen (same area) with missiles, but luckily it was thwarted. I remember 2000 having the Pokemon craze (although 1999 was more like the peak), and in summer of 2016 the PokemonGo app was popular. Overall, I also liked the culture of 2000 better, with better music, movies, TV shows, and video games. It could have been because I was younger (I was 21 and single back in 2000, and having a lot of fun, and a lot of success with women).

This makes me ask the question on if we'll ever have another optimistic/upbeat team period. 2016 is certainly dark and the latest optimistic time period I can think of was the early 2010s. People are on edge today and with Trump as president they'll continue to be worry for the next 4 years.

Written By: Slim95 on 12/25/16 at 1:39 pm

I think 2016 is nothing like 2000. But I may be biased because I was only 5 in 2000 so it felt like a different world to me. It was a very fun year, the whole Y2K stuff made the vibe upbeat. But 2016 really isn't upbeat at all.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/25/16 at 2:27 pm

This makes me ask the question on if we'll ever have another optimistic/upbeat team period. 2016 is certainly dark and the latest optimistic time period I can think of was the early 2010s. People are on edge today and with Trump as president they'll continue to be worry for the next 4 years.

You think? It's obviously one of the most pessimistic years I've ever witnessed, culturally and politically. All people do now is whine about a lot of stuff, while realizing that their rivals would make fun of them.

I think 2016 is nothing like 2000. But I may be biased because I was only 5 in 2000 so it felt like a different world to me. It was a very fun year, the whole Y2K stuff made the vibe upbeat. But 2016 really isn't upbeat at all.

Y2K never really made a lot of stuff upbeat. It was fun, but it was just a scheme that made everyone upset until 2000. Besides, it just felt like 1999.

Written By: Slim95 on 12/25/16 at 3:58 pm

You think? It's obviously one of the most pessimistic years I've ever witnessed, culturally and politically. All people do now is whine about a lot of stuff, while realizing that their rivals would make fun of them.

Y2K never really made a lot of stuff upbeat. It was fun, but it was just a scheme that made everyone upset until 2000. Besides, it just felt like 1999.

As someone who actually remembers 2000, I can tell you it was upbeat. Pokemon, Windows 2000, bubblegum pop, shows like Even Stevens, Y2K, and other trends contributed it to being a fun year. It was one of the most upbeat and fun years in the 2000s, also one of the best years for music. It didn't feel "exactly" like 1999. The fact we were in a new millennium felt different enough. It was nothing like 2016. I'm sure others who actually remember 2000 will agree with me that it was a fun year.

Written By: Howard on 12/25/16 at 5:40 pm

people don't know what the future will hold for everyone.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 12/25/16 at 5:43 pm

The Y2K era was a mix of upbeat and dark. It was a time of extreme teen angst and alienation for a lot of people.

Written By: Looney Toon on 12/26/16 at 1:57 pm

people don't know what the future will hold for everyone.

Which makes sense. We DON'T know what the future holds, but that's what has everyone worried. No one knows if the country will get worse or better. And that uncertainty is scaring people for some reason. It's as if they're not used to not knowing the future or something.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/26/16 at 2:15 pm

As someone who actually remembers 2000, I can tell you it was upbeat. Pokemon, Windows 2000, bubblegum pop, shows like Even Stevens, Y2K, and other trends contributed it to being a fun year. It was one of the most upbeat and fun years in the 2000s, also one of the best years for music. It didn't feel "exactly" like 1999. The fact we were in a new millennium felt different enough. It was nothing like 2016. I'm sure others who actually remember 2000 will agree with me that it was a fun year.

It's obvious to tell that it was nothing like 2016, since 2000s culture was already past its prime by the time 2010 hit. Even with that, the 2000s was rather culturally relaxed until mid 2008. Then Lady Gaga came and introduced us to the electropop era (mid 2008 - 2012).

Written By: Slim95 on 12/26/16 at 3:42 pm

It's obvious to tell that it was nothing like 2016, since 2000s culture was already past its prime by the time 2010 hit. Even with that, the 2000s was rather culturally relaxed until mid 2008. Then Lady Gaga came and introduced us to the electropop era (mid 2008 - 2012).

Yeah I agree. After 2008 everything started to feel more fast paced and not laid back. That feeling and vibe is still going strong today in 2016. Everything is just on edge and it isn't relaxed.

Written By: KatanaChick on 12/27/16 at 12:14 am

Which makes sense. We DON'T know what the future holds, but that's what has everyone worried. No one knows if the country will get worse or better. And that uncertainty is scaring people for some reason. It's as if they're not used to not knowing the future or something.

But you never know the future anyway. One point in time can be going great then hard times hit unexpectedly and you don't know when better times will return. In a decade or personal life. Know what I mean?

Written By: Zelek3 on 12/27/16 at 2:20 am

Yeah I agree. After 2008 everything started to feel more fast paced and not laid back. That feeling and vibe is still going strong today in 2016. Everything is just on edge and it isn't relaxed.

Idk man, I thought the early Obama years (2009-2013) felt pretty laid back. Our country had something of a united feeling, the economy was recovering, Dubya was out, Osama bin Laden was dead, etc. That feeling is all but gone now.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 12/27/16 at 3:18 am

Idk man, I thought the early Obama years (2009-2013) felt pretty laid back. Our country had something of a united feeling, the economy was recovering, Dubya was out, Osama bin Laden was dead, etc. That feeling is all but gone now.

I see what your sayin. But you gotta be more specific...
Cause 2009-2012 was the peak of the recession....  which was UNDER Obama. and we were still in the Iraq war during the first years of Obama. 
If anything it was Mid 2011 until early 2014, that things actually felt somewhat laid back in America. That time people were having hope, and things were somewhat looking bright.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/27/16 at 4:36 am

I see what your sayin. But you gotta be more specific...
Cause 2009-2012 was the peak of the recession....  which was UNDER Obama. and we were still in the Iraq war during the first years of Obama. 
If anything it was Mid 2011 until early 2014, that things actually felt somewhat laid back in America. That time people were having hope, and things were somewhat looking bright.

Frankly, the early 2010s were the only laid back era in this decade. Even though the Recession happened, we were united as we were since the 2000s. The United States felt paranormal with terrorism being on the rise, all because of 9/11. But most terorrist attacks at the time were in the Middle East, especially in Israel. But even to this day, I still favor the early Obama years in a political and cultural sense.

Written By: Looney Toon on 12/27/16 at 11:38 am

But you never know the future anyway. One point in time can be going great then hard times hit unexpectedly and you don't know when better times will return. In a decade or personal life. Know what I mean?

Yeah, I can get that. Nowadays I can see why some people are worried. We've been having quite a few economical/political issues happening as of late. Everyone's been effected by the hard times of today (heck a lot of people just want 2016 to end while also calling it one of the worst years  ;D ). Now we're all just waiting for the better times to return.

Frankly, the early 2010s were the only laid back era in this decade. Even though the Recession happened, we were united as we were since the 2000s. The United States felt paranormal with terrorism being on the rise, all because of 9/11. But most terorrist attacks at the time were in the Middle East, especially in Israel. But even to this day, I still favor the early Obama years in a political and cultural sense.

In the early 2010s the recession was over and the Iraq war was over. These two thing  caused for there to be a more laid back/upbeat colorful feel that happened in the early 2010s. Add on to that with the fact that around 2011 or so we didn't have a lot of the economical/political issues that we have today. Since there wasn't as much to worry about at the time people were more upbeat and happy, I suppose. Compared to 2016 the early 2010s  were certainly laid back from what I remember. 

Written By: Slim95 on 12/27/16 at 12:43 pm

The early 2010s didnt feel laid back nor upbeat for me. This entire decade wasn't relaxed. But I like the mid 10s more even though there is too much violence in the world now.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/27/16 at 12:44 pm

In the early 2010s the recession was over and the Iraq war was over. These two thing  caused for there to be a more laid back/upbeat colorful feel that happened in the early 2010s. Add on to that with the fact that around 2011 or so we didn't have a lot of the economical/political issues that we have today. Since there wasn't as much to worry about at the time people were more upbeat and happy, I suppose. Compared to 2016 the early 2010s  were certainly laid back from what I remember.

Along with that, Obama didn't seem to have a lot of hate during the early 2010s. Even before Trump announced his presidency, it seemed like nobody really hated him with a passion. Now, it's former Democrats (who were mindless sheep) that don't even know better with politics. It's times like these where it makes the world look unsatisfying, unless you were insane to believe everything about Obama being born in Kenya, or him being a Muslim.

The early 2010s didnt feel laid back nor upbeat for me. This entire decade wasn't relaxed. But I like the mid 10s a little more even though there is too much violence in the world now.

Either Canada was different back in the early 2010s, or you have different views about America.

Written By: Slim95 on 12/27/16 at 12:59 pm

Along with that, Obama didn't seem to have a lot of hate during the early 2010s. Even before Trump announced his presidency, it seemed like nobody really hated him with a passion. Now, it's former Democrats (who were mindless sheep) that don't even know better with politics. It's times like these where it makes the world look unsatisfying, unless you were insane to believe everything about Obama being born in Kenya, or him being a Muslim.

I actually feel the opposite. I feel like more people like and appreciate Obama now especially during this election given the two candidates. Now that Trump won it seems a lot of people like Obama. But back when he just got into office, I heard much more complaints and much more hate against him. The mid 10s seem like a more liberal time than the early 10s given the whole SJW/PC movement.

Written By: Slim95 on 12/27/16 at 1:02 pm

Either Canada was different back in the early 2010s, or you have different views about America.

It's the same. It's clear the early 10s weren't upbeat, just painted in bright colours and fast music to distract people from what was really going on. The recession was still in everyone's minds and the music was really awful the earlier part of the decade.  8-P

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/27/16 at 1:25 pm

I actually feel the opposite. I feel like more people like and appreciate Obama now especially during this election given the two candidates. Now that Trump won it seems a lot of people like Obama. But back when he just got into office, I heard much more complaints and much more hate against him. The mid 10s seem like a more liberal time than the early 10s given the whole SJW/PC movement.

It's more half and half. Either side would just compare Hillary to Trump in unnecessary ways. Even if it has to deal with inevitable debates like Hillary's emails or Trump's misogyny. It really makes me feel bad for witnessing that crap.

Written By: Looney Toon on 12/27/16 at 4:35 pm

Yeah, during the 2010s I don't remember Obama having as much hate as Trump has now. Trump's term didn't even fully start yet and everyone is announcing doom and gloom. Obama does have a bit of hate, but I don't remember him having the same amount of hate or disinterest during his earlier years.

This is what I'm thinking as well. Early 2010s seemed upbeat to me. However, the views of someone outside of America would be different from someone who was within it during that time. One who made observations while another who experienced it all first hand kind of situation, I suppose. You'll get different views in short.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/27/16 at 4:41 pm

Yeah, during the 2010s I don't remember Obama having as much hate as Trump has now. Trump's term didn't even fully start yet and everyone is announcing doom and gloom. Obama does have a bit of hate, but I don't remember him having the same amount of hate or disinterest during his earlier years.

Except for Trump supporters. They're like the opposite, despite only making a crap ton of dank memes because of it.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 12/28/16 at 3:29 am

In the early 2010s the recession was over

Most of the early 10s was the recession era tho.... ;D ;D ;D ;D  It was from summer of 08 until 2012.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 12/28/16 at 3:30 am

Or he was most likely going through the bullsh*t teenage years during that time... That will play a big factor!

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 12/28/16 at 3:34 am

You and your silly 15/16 year theory again.... ;D  I'm not getting any vibes from the millennium era.

Written By: Looney Toon on 12/28/16 at 8:50 am

Most of the early 10s was the recession era tho.... ;D ;D ;D ;D  It was from summer of 08 until 2012.

Great Recession was from 2007 to summer of 2009 from what I keep reading. We've been having economic expansion for 89+ months now.

Written By: Looney Toon on 12/28/16 at 8:57 am

Except for Trump supporters. They're like the opposite, despite only making a crap ton of dank memes because of it.

In internet today's culture whether something is good or bad won't change whether people will make a meme about it or not, but with Trump soon as he started showing up in the media almost everything he did or said ended up causing memes of people poking fun at him.

Also what's funny is that just recently there has been news on Obama saying that if he were to compete with Trump for a 3rd term he would've have won.  ;D

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/28/16 at 9:38 am

Or he was most likely going through the bullsh*t teenage years during that time... That will play a big factor!

I was a preteen during the early 2010s, and I didn't really like it as much as the mid-late 2000s.

You and your silly 15/16 year theory again.... ;D  I'm not getting any vibes from the millennium era.

Same. I never really got any vibes from 2000 and 2001 for a very long time. The last time I got vibes from 2000/2001 was in about 2005.

Written By: Shemp97 on 12/28/16 at 9:47 pm

The effects of the recession were really delayed in Canada. There weren't mass layoffs and bailouts, and overall, the economy was in worse shape this year than it was in 2009. Canadian media has been noting that alot this year.

'09 had a literal end of an era feel to it. We were coming off the laid back flashy vibe of the 00s and were looking to what the future would hold.

Written By: Zelek3 on 12/28/16 at 9:51 pm

Hey man, sometimes it can be 15 years! :P

For instance, the movie "The Spirit of '76", a spoof of mid-70s pop culture, came out in 1990.

And Beatlemania, a musical playing on 60s nostalgia and The Beatles, came out in 1977.

Written By: Shemp97 on 12/28/16 at 10:05 pm

Not gonna lie. This mid 2010s Bruno Mars is the best he's ever been. I'm surprised he didn't just start with old school music in the first place, it's a breath of fresh air(ironically).

Written By: Slim95 on 12/28/16 at 10:26 pm

Not gonna lie. This mid 2010s Bruno Mars is the best he's ever been. I'm surprised he didn't just start with old school music in the first place, it's a breath of fresh air(ironically).

Yeah he's really saving mainstream music in the mid 2010s.

Written By: 2001 on 12/28/16 at 10:27 pm

The effects of the recession were really delayed in Canada. There weren't mass layoffs and bailouts, and overall, the economy was in worse shape this year than it was in 2009. Canadian media has been noting that alot this year.

'09 had a literal end of an era feel to it. We were coming off the laid back flashy vibe of the 00s and were looking to what the future would hold.

I think it depends on what part of the country you were in. In Alberta the recession probably wasn't as harsh (although I remember the oil price crash in 2008 had huge ramifications and Ed Stelmach and Allison Redford resigned residing over the poor economy). In Ontario though, the recession was very harsh. I was laid off, and unemployment topped out at 11% in 2009. The manufacturing sector was hollowed out, and there were bailouts for the auto companies like GM and Chrysler. I don't think we fully recovered from the recession until 2014. Even in 2013 there was harsh austerity measures in the Ontario budget, a lot of public workers went on strike. 2015/2016 haven't been too bad despite the inflation. The unemployment rate is down from 8% in 2014 to 6% today. I know in Alberta it's particularly harsh and drawn out though, due to oil prices staying stubborn and the resulting layoffs. The unemployment rate jumped from 3% to 8% which is huge.

Written By: Slim95 on 12/28/16 at 10:27 pm

Yup, the recession this year and last year were actually far worse than the one in 2009 for Canada. I knew a couple people who were laid off during the previous recession but I know a very huge number of people laid off this year.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 12/28/16 at 11:09 pm

Great Recession was from 2007 to summer of 2009 from what I keep reading. We've been having economic expansion for 89+ months now.

Well that's not correct... The recession started in summer of 2008. The economy didn't start to recover until Obamas second term.

Written By: 2001 on 12/29/16 at 12:19 am

Yup, the recession this year and last year were actually far worse than the one in 2009 for Canada. I knew a couple people who were laid off during the previous recession but I know a very huge number of people laid off this year.

That's anecdotal evidence, sir :P

For Canada as a whole, the 2009 recession was worse if we use unemployment rate. It peaked at 8.7% in August 2009, it currently stands at 6.8% as of November 2016.

But your grievances aren't without cause. There is a localized recession in Alberta and Saskatchewan. Alberta's unemployment rate peaked at 7.7% in August 2009, and is currently at 7.9% in November 2016. This graph represents the situation.

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/daily-quotidien/160205/cg160205a003-eng.gif

Written By: Zelek3 on 12/29/16 at 2:39 am

Well that's not correct... The recession started in summer of 2008. The economy didn't start to recover until Obamas second term.

According to what I've read it began in December 2007.

Written By: Slim95 on 12/29/16 at 2:48 am

According to what I've read it began in late August 2007.

No it actually began September 2008. That's when the stock markets started plummeting.

Written By: Looney Toon on 12/29/16 at 6:02 am

That isn't what NBER tells me.

According to the US National Bureau of Economic Research (the official arbiter of US recessions) the recession, as experienced in that country, began in December 2007 and ended in June 2009, thus extending over 19 months.

http://www.nber.org/cycles.html

Yeah, a lot of places I run into say that it started in 2007 and ended by June 2009. When I took Economics in college not too long ago the instructor and textbooks I studied from also mentioned the 2007 to 2009 span. I'm not basing this on my opinion. I'm just using the span that I constantly kept seeing left and right.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/29/16 at 9:38 am

Yeah he's really saving mainstream music in the mid 2010s.

Along with Adele.

Written By: 2001 on 12/29/16 at 11:27 am

Yeah, a lot of places I run into say that it started in 2007 and ended by June 2009. When I took Economics in college not too long ago the instructor and textbooks I studied from also mentioned the 2007 to 2009 span. I'm not basing this on my opinion. I'm just using the span that I constantly kept seeing left and right.

Yep, the economy went into recession at the end of 2007, but it was to be a mild one. The stock market crash didn't happen until September 2008, as Slim said, and the Lehman Brothers went bankrupt. That's when we thought our economy was in free fall and we were headed for a Great Depression Part 2. Basically, if you were transported to summer 2008, you wouldn't really know there was a recession/depression until September.

The early 2010s technically weren't in recession, but they were still in "recovery", so it was still a very gritty era. The economy wasn't as good as it was pre-recession until 2013/2014 (and even then, some places never recovered).

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 12/29/16 at 8:22 pm

Hey man, sometimes it can be 15 years! :P

For instance, the movie "The Spirit of '76", a spoof of mid-70s pop culture, came out in 1990.

And Beatlemania, a musical playing on 60s nostalgia and The Beatles, came out in 1977.

I think sometimes, 20 years and possibly 40 as well. Just my opinion.

Written By: Zelek3 on 12/29/16 at 9:01 pm

I think sometimes, 20 years and possibly 40 as well. Just my opinion.

It could even be 10/11 years. In American Graffiti (released 1973), George Lucas was expressing nostalgia for his high school days of 1962.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/29/16 at 11:00 pm

It could even be 10/11 years. In American Graffiti (released 1973), George Lucas was expressing nostalgia for his high school days of 1962.

It was just shown in a historical sense, especially the sequel "More American Graffiti". Although, it's not like the early 60s were that dated in 1973.

Written By: 2001 on 12/30/16 at 12:29 am

I think Batfan/Eric were saying that the current year has ostensibly similar vibes from 16/20/40 years ago, rather than a comment on how long the nostalgia cycle is.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 12/30/16 at 12:46 am

I think Batfan/Eric were saying that the current year has ostensibly similar vibes from 16/20/40 years ago, rather than a comment on how long the nostalgia cycle is.

Well my friend, I was referring to both the nostalgia cycles and vibes of previous eras.

Written By: batfan2005 on 12/31/16 at 2:04 pm

Same. I never really got any vibes from 2000 and 2001 for a very long time. The last time I got vibes from 2000/2001 was in about 2005.

Even with Pokemon and Blink 182 and Sum 41?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/31/16 at 2:16 pm

Even with Pokemon and Blink 182 and Sum 41?

Blink 182 didn't really have the same relevance as it did in 1999/2000, and Sum 41 just seems to be in limbo since 2000. Pokemon on the other hand was just big, but the gameplay mechanics changed every 4 years.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 01/01/17 at 8:13 am

Actually it's around 15 years. Right now has a lot of vibes from 2000/2001.

I noticed it around last July-August, in particular. I will never forget parking near a beach at the time, listening to Blink-182's "Bored to Death", whilst watching heaps of people looking down on their phones playing Pokemon Go. Right then and there, it was really noticeable that there was some sort of Early 2000s vibe. The new Tarzan movie was released a month earlier and Green Day's "Bang Bang" was released right around the same time. I'm not suggesting that 2016 was anything like 2000 or 2001. Rather, i'm commenting on there being a noticeable Early 2000s cultural comeback last year. I definitely believe there was/is some sort of return of Early 2000s culture.

Written By: Looney Toon on 01/01/17 at 11:51 am

Welp! Now we're in the late 2010s. Curious on how nostalgia will affect this part of the decade.

Check for new replies or respond here...