inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: New Year's Resolutions (2017)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/26/16 at 11:44 am

Mine are:

-To lose 10 more pounds
-To hold two yard sales and get rid of more crap stuff
-To get the downstairs bathroom done
-To get the garage done
-Sell the Big Dog

What is your resolutions?

Cat

Subject: Re: New Year's Resolutions (2017)

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/26/16 at 12:06 pm

Just like I said, I've chosen to not consume a lot of gum.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 12/26/16 at 12:38 pm

I made a lot and I intend to see all of them through!
-Lose more weight (10-20 pounds max)
-Get more sleep
-Make myself prettier
-Take better care of myself
-Stay positive
-Learn to budget better
-Start work on my novel
-Try to put out more than ONE erotica a month
-Try to get asked on a date
-See/Meet 3T if they tour the USA
-Make my parents proud

Written By: nally on 12/26/16 at 2:48 pm

Often times I don't make any, but this time I'm going to. That said, mine are: to get more organized (and stick to it), learn to budget my time better, and find a full time job close to home.

Written By: Howard on 12/26/16 at 2:53 pm

I will try to eat more Subway whenever I can get the chance to.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/26/16 at 3:36 pm

I want to buy a helicopter.

Written By: Howard on 12/26/16 at 3:43 pm

What for?

Written By: 80sfan on 12/26/16 at 3:45 pm

What for?

I want to take my friends flying.

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/26/16 at 5:52 pm

Rock and roll all night
Party every day

Written By: 2001 on 12/26/16 at 6:11 pm

I have really lofty goals for this year ;D

1. Start earning money from self-employment.

Deploy an app, a website, something. I want to have my own business in the future so I need to take the first steps.

2. Read/listen to 50 books.

Audiobooks included. The last time I tried this (in 2015) I read 22 books, but I'm hoping I actually get to the magic 50 this year ;D

3. Keep learning French.

I've cumulatively listened to around 4364 hours of French and have read for 476 hours. I want to get to 6500 listening hours and 850 reading hours by the end of the year. I want to continue going to language exchanges. I also want to start journaling everyday in French on lang-8, beginning at the start of October.

4. Learn how to use an Arduino/Raspberry Pi

https://diyhacking.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Optimized-cover-min.jpg

2014 was the year of PHP, 2015 was the year of Python, 2016 was the year of JavaScript (and SQL, and... Matlab  8-P). I hope to get more in touch with the hardware side of things in 2017!

That's all for now!

Written By: 80sfan on 12/26/16 at 6:20 pm

Deploy an app, a website, something. I want to have my own business in the future so I need to take the first steps.

Audiobooks included. The last time I tried this (in 2015) I read 22 books, but I'm hoping I actually get to the magic 50 this year
;D

3. Keep learning French.

I've cumulatively listened to around 4364 hours of French and have read for 476 hours. I want to get to 6500 listening hours and 850 reading hours by the end of the year. I want to continue going to language exchanges. I also want to start journaling everyday in French on lang-8, beginning at the start of October.

2014 was the year of PHP, 2015 was the year of Python, 2016 was the year of JavaScript (and SQL, and... Matlab  8-P). I hope to get more in touch with the hardware side of things in 2017!

https://cdn-shop.adafruit.com/970x728/50-06.jpg

That's all for now!

Maybe you're not slowly building up. Your brain may not be ready to read that intensely yet. Like maybe you won't read 50 books in 2017, but you'll read 32 in 2017. 39 in 2018, etc, etc. The mind/brain needs time to build a habit. Just a suggestion, not a command.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/26/16 at 6:31 pm

Audiobooks included. The last time I tried this (in 2015) I read 22 books, but I'm hoping I actually get to the magic 50 this year ;D

3. Keep learning French.

https://diyhacking.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Optimized-cover-min.jpg

That's all for now!

Audiobooks are awesome. We listen to them in the car whenever we have long trips. Now with the new car which has a USB port, I just put an audiobook on a flashdrive.

Cat

Written By: Ripley on 12/26/16 at 7:03 pm

Rock and roll all night
Party every day

;D

Written By: Ripley on 12/26/16 at 7:05 pm

Me too! But I need to get my pilots license first. It is something I really want to do

Written By: 2001 on 12/26/16 at 7:32 pm

Maybe you're not slowly building up. Your brain may not be ready to read that intensely yet. Like maybe you won't read 50 books in 2017, but you'll read 32 in 2017. 39 in 2018, etc, etc. The mind/brain needs time to build a habit. Just a suggestion, not a command.

That's true, I haven't build the habit. It's going to be an uphill battle ;D

As you know by now though, I'm a super weird person. I've made this commitment device, a script, on my phone, where if I don't read/listen for 1 hour, I can't listen to any music ;D The weather here is super cold in the winter, so I always put my headphones on when going outside to keep my ears warm, so instead of music, it's going to have to be an audiobook. Other than that, I've (sort of) already built the habit for reading 30 minutes - 1 hour before I go to bed (unless it's already late).

Most my audiobooks are around ~15 hours long, and most my book books are around ~12 hours. If I try to read 25 of each, that would be 375 hours of audiobooks (about an hour a day), 300 hours of regular books (around 50 minutes a day). I hope that's enough to see it through.

Audiobooks are awesome. We listen to them in the car whenever we have long trips. Now with the new car which has a USB port, I just put an audiobook on a flashdrive.

Cat

Yay! Another audiobook fan  :D

I have an Audible (www.audible.com) subscription, so I get 2 audiobooks for CA$30 (US$23) a month. I download them on to my phone with the Audible app. :)

Written By: 80sfan on 12/27/16 at 9:21 am

As you know by now though, I'm a super weird person. I've made this commitment device, a script, on my phone, where if I don't read/listen for 1 hour, I can't listen to any music ;D The weather here is super cold in the winter, so I always put my headphones on when going outside to keep my ears warm, so instead of music, it's going to have to be an audiobook. Other than that, I've (sort of) already built the habit for reading 30 minutes - 1 hour before I go to bed (unless it's already late).

Most my audiobooks are around ~15 hours long, and most my book books are around ~12 hours. If I try to read 25 of each, that would be 375 hours of audiobooks (about an hour a day), 300 hours of regular books (around 50 minutes a day). I hope that's enough to see it through.

I have an Audible (www.audible.com) subscription, so I get 2 audiobooks for CA$30 (US$23) a month. I download them on to my phone with the Audible app. :)

Self punishing phone.  ;D

Written By: 2001 on 12/27/16 at 11:02 am

I will try to eat more Subway whenever I can get the chance to.

Isn't that going to get expensive? :o

Me too! But I need to get my pilots license first. It is something I really want to do

I didn't even know this was thing :o Can just anyone get one?

Written By: Ripley on 12/27/16 at 11:45 am

For a flying license you have to take a lot of lessons. If your intentions are to be a captain for AA etc. it's even more extensive as it's a bigger plane and ovcourse you're flying a bunch of people. I know people can rent private jets once they get one. But depending on the situation you will need a background check as well. As for choppers, I honestly am not sure if it's even possible to rent them as they've used a lot for emergencies, police and military. Though some millionaires own them. John Travolta owns one I think, to add to his collection of jets.

Written By: Howard on 12/27/16 at 2:46 pm

I want to take my friends flying.

Have you had any practice in flying one? ???

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/27/16 at 2:46 pm

I downloaded a bunch of audiobooks via torrents. BTW, are you familiar with this?  https://librivox.org/

Cat

Written By: Howard on 12/27/16 at 2:47 pm

not really, I'll just eat Subway on occasions.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/27/16 at 2:59 pm

Have you had any practice in flying one? ???

No.  :-[

Written By: Howard on 12/27/16 at 3:32 pm

No.  :-[

How would you know about flying? You need someone to teach you.

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/27/16 at 7:16 pm

not really, I'll just eat Subway on occasions.

You could be the next Jared.

"Howard the Subway guy".  ;D ;D

Written By: 80sfan on 12/27/16 at 8:36 pm

How would you know about flying? You need someone to teach you.

I'll teach myself. Not sure if it's safe though.  :(

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/27/16 at 8:48 pm

OMG! Yes!

I would love to eat at Subway if Howard's their next spokesperson. (Even though it's most likely a joke, but whatever)

Written By: 2001 on 12/27/16 at 8:52 pm

I downloaded a bunch of audiobooks via torrents. BTW, are you familiar with this?  https://librivox.org/

Cat

:o No I wasn't. Thanks for that, I've bookmarked it.

My local library let's me borrow digital audiobooks (and ebooks) online, and returns them automatically after 14 days without late fees, and the selection is amazing,  so that's saved me some money too. You might want to check it out too, libraries are getting very high tech these days :D

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/28/16 at 1:09 am

I am not making any this year, I just hope all will turn out fine.

Written By: Howard on 12/28/16 at 8:46 am

No Thank You I'm not that popular.

Written By: Howard on 12/28/16 at 8:46 am

I'll teach myself. Not sure if it's safe though.  :(

You can give it a shot.

Written By: Howard on 12/28/16 at 8:47 am

OMG! Yes!

I would love to eat at Subway if Howard's their next spokesperson. (Even though it's most likely a joke, but whatever)

I don't want to be a spokesperson.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/28/16 at 11:19 am

:o No I wasn't. Thanks for that, I've bookmarked it.

My local library let's me borrow digital audiobooks (and ebooks) online, and returns them automatically after 14 days without late fees, and the selection is amazing,  so that's saved me some money too. You might want to check it out too, libraries are getting very high tech these days :D

Yeah, our local library have audiobooks from the state-wide data bank. I have been meaning to check it out but just haven't gotten around to it. I think I plugged in Hubby's library card but that is as far as I got. That would be a good New Year's Resolution-check out the audiobooks at the library.

Cat

Written By: JordanK1982 on 12/28/16 at 12:19 pm

I heard he goes by Jailed Jared these days. ::)

Written By: 80sfan on 12/28/16 at 1:48 pm

I heard he goes by Jailed Jared these days. ::)

I was devastated when I heard that Jared had this very dark side to him. Tragic.

Written By: #Infinity on 12/28/16 at 8:17 pm

* Move into my own place
* Find love or at least have a romantic experience

Written By: mxcrashxm on 12/28/16 at 8:20 pm

* Move into my own place
* Find love or at least have a romantic experience
This!

More for me are:

Earn my associates and continue my bachelors after
Work at more places
Go to the gym

Check for new replies or respond here...