inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 2016: An otherworldly year?

Written By: Zelek3 on 12/27/16 at 6:08 pm

Anyone else agree with this sentiment?

I mean, just think about it. Celebrities such as David Bowie, Gene Wilder, Leonard Cohen, Alan Rickman, Prince, George Michael, Muhammad Ali, Fidel Castro, Carrie Fisher, and many others have died. Celebrities who have part of the vogue for decades, who most of us never expected to die this soon.

M. Night Shamylan has released a new movie that has a 93% on Rotten Tomatoes - his first movie in nearly 12 years to be considered good.

For the first time, the media discussed Internet memes like Pepe the Frog during the election, when this was practically unheard of during the 2012 election.

A businessman has been elected U.S. President.

Surreal times we live in. :o

Subject: Re: 2016: An otherworldly year?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/27/16 at 6:25 pm

This year was basically the year of the memes. It just makes me wish Internet culture was just made for teens and young adults (no offense for those who are over 35 on this site).

Written By: Slim95 on 12/27/16 at 8:34 pm

Yeah this year was bad. It was a fairly boring year too. Not a whole lot happened except for all the celebrity deaths.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/27/16 at 8:39 pm

Yeah this year was bad. It was a fairly boring year too. Not a whole lot happened except for all the celebrity deaths.

2016 was rather fascinating, because of how f*cked up it was. It was like the whole world examined us on how we acted, based on social media and various outlets.

Written By: Slim95 on 12/27/16 at 8:40 pm

2016 was rather fascinating, because of how f*cked up it was. It was like the whole world examined us on how we acted, based on social media and various outlets.

Yeah the mass shootings happened too but I saw Trump winning the election from a mile away.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/27/16 at 8:41 pm

And 2017 will be more crazy!!

Written By: Slim95 on 12/27/16 at 8:42 pm

And 2017 will be more crazy!!

Who says?  ???

Written By: 2001 on 12/27/16 at 8:45 pm

Who says?  ???

Me and other respected decadeologists.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/27/16 at 8:47 pm

Yeah the mass shootings happened too but I saw Trump winning the election from a mile away.

That didn't really have nothing to do with mass shootings, but more about the people who hated Trump with a passion.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/27/16 at 8:51 pm

Me and other respected decadeologists.

Will the US be okay in 2024?

Written By: 2001 on 12/27/16 at 8:54 pm

Not unless it installs Elon Musk or Hillary Clinton as its permanent dictator.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/27/16 at 8:58 pm

Not unless it installs Elon Musk or Hillary Clinton as its permanent dictator.

He's smart, but is he presidential material?

Written By: 2001 on 12/27/16 at 9:00 pm

He's smart, but is he presidential material?

Does anyone care? He's smart and hot, and uses hair plugs properly, which is more than we can say for you know who.

Written By: Howard on 12/28/16 at 8:49 am

It was a bit boring.

Written By: Howard on 12/28/16 at 8:51 am

Let's hope so.

Written By: SpyroKev on 12/28/16 at 12:19 pm

I do. The title is brilliant. 2016 felt like Prometheus.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/28/16 at 3:20 pm

If anyone recalls in 2012, the world was supposed to end according to the Mayan calendar. Of course that didn't happen but actually, we have entered into a new era. We actually entered into the Age of Aquarius that is supposed to be a peaceful time. But, this world is far from being peaceful.

I mentioned this once in a different thread but I am going to mention it again. A long time ago (in a galaxy far, far away), I was a telephone operator. I worked on one of those old cord boards. For those of you who don't know what I am talking about, it looked something like this:

http://links.syllicom.com/CordBoard.jpg

I just happened to be there the night when we switched over to an automated system. The back room where the actual system was because SUPER noisy. The old system was fighting with the new system and it made a big racket. It actually sounded very violent. No one could use the phones as this was going on. Eventually, it became quieter and quieter as the new system was taking over. Finally, once the new system was in place, there was silence. The whole thing took about 10 minutes or so.

What is going on in the world is sort of like the back room that night. The old system is fighting with the new system and it is VERY loud and very violent! How long will it take for the new system to take over? Who knows-of course 10 minutes would be nice but of course that isn't realistic. I'm just afraid that things are going to get worse before they get better.

Oh, and I still have the dialer from that cord board as a souvenir which looks very much like the one in the pic.

Cat

Written By: Ripley on 12/29/16 at 3:42 am

Things seem to be getting worse everyday 😨

Written By: KatanaChick on 12/29/16 at 4:27 am

This year was basically the year of the memes. It just makes me wish Internet culture was just made for teens and young adults (no offense for those who are over 35 on this site).

Why do you say so? Anyone should be able to get in on the fun. Even if it's overdone, it still makes Facebook a little more entertaining than just reading a lame status people might otherwise scroll past.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/29/16 at 9:40 am

Why do you say so? Anyone should be able to get in on the fun. Even if it's overdone, it still makes Facebook a little more entertaining than just reading a lame status people might otherwise scroll past.

It's just that most of the memes that the news is covering up are Alt-Right memes, which aren't that funny considering they have neo-Nazi influences.  :-X

Written By: 2001 on 12/29/16 at 6:09 pm

For me personally, mêmes are one of the reasons I stopped reading Facebook so much, especially the memes with the bold Impact font, where they think they wrote something clever when it actually wasn't. I actually enjoy reading those status updates more, which is probably why I use Twitter more and always have ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...