inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is the reason I hate the present because I'm getting older or because it sucks?

Written By: Brian06 on 12/31/16 at 11:58 pm

I've been thinking about this. I don't what it is but I'm kind of thinking it's a combination of both. I've seen a lot of people say that they start feeling out of touch around 25-30 and that's basically what's happening to me. Though in a lot of ways it's objectively pretty bad in the world right now. 10 years ago dumb pop songs made me happy, but now that I'm turning 30 in a few months that just doesn't do it anymore. I honestly could care less about the pop charts or trends now. Now I am now entering my prime personally as I move into my 30s but I'm disappointed with the way the world is today. I really think it's worse than it was 10-15 years ago, and especially 20 years ago. In one way I hated being 20 but in another way I'd kill to be 20 again and be more naive and not as bothered by things.

Subject: Re: Is the reason I hate the present because I'm getting older or because it sucks?

Written By: tv on 01/01/17 at 12:25 am

I remember at age 27 I started not to care about music anymore. I just didn't do anything for me anymore in late 2007-2008.

As far as the world being worse today than 20 years ago. I think(just from my perspective) things were quiet from 1996-2008 after the 1992-1995 period with Rodney King/LA Riots and the OJ Simpson verdict. 2016 was as divisive as 1992 with the police shootings and the 2016 Presidential Election. The 2016 Presidential Election Season has been compared to the 1968 Presidential Election Season on the internet and in the political media and 1968 was a tedious year with Martin Luther King and Presidential Candidate Bobby Kennedy being killed.

Subject: Re: Is the reason I hate the present because I'm getting older or because it sucks?

Written By: Brian06 on 01/01/17 at 12:34 am

I remember at age 27 I started not to care about music anymore. I just didn't do anything for me anymore in late 2007-2008.

As far as the world being worse today than 20 years ago. I think(just from my perspective) things were quiet from 1996-2008 after the 1992-1995 period with Rodney King/LA Riots and the OJ Simpson verdict. 2016 was as divisive as 1992 with the police shootings and the 2016 Presidential Election. The 2016 Presidential Election Season has been compared to the 1968 Presidential Election Season on the internet and in the political media and 1968 was a tedious year with Martin Luther King and Presidential Candidate Bobby Kennedy being killed.

It was pretty close for me actually, I'd say around age 26 is when I started disliking the present and especially by 27, so basically the same. It does seem like this is consistent for a lot of people.

I remember a lot of the bad stuff in the '90s even though I was quite little. I remember OKC and being scared of going into a federal building with my dad back then because that happened. I remember the Unabomber, the embassy bombings. Columbine I'll never forget I was was just about to go into surgery for an appendectomy and Columbine was on the hospital TV at the exact time. But all though that I think America was less divided back then and even throughout the 2000s as well than it is right now, now America is divided in a very nasty way. That really depresses me. The thing about now too is with social media being so dominant and everybody having a smartphone, everything is so in your face. Which is a difference from how I grew up, when just having some basic cell phone was a big deal. I guess I'll say I miss when everything wasn't so constantly in your face like it is now. It's been a gradual build up since heck the beginning of newspapers, to radio, to television, to the early internet, and now to social media and always connected smartphones.

Written By: muppethammer26 on 01/01/17 at 12:36 am

Every year has their own good and bad stuff, 2016 was no exception and the same will be for 2017. It seems like some people on this site hated 2016 or the 2010's in general just because of one bad event while ignoring the good stuff.

Written By: ArcticFox on 01/01/17 at 3:11 am

You're getting old. There are plenty of people that enjoy the present with all of its faults, including myself. There has been worse in the past, and there will be worse in the future. Happiness is a choice. Misery is self-induced.

Written By: 1999 Baby, 2000s Kid on 01/01/17 at 5:52 am

I personally have been loving everything now, because I know I'm going to miss it in the future, so why not make the best of the present instead of living in the past.  :)

Appreciate the past of course, I love music, movies, and games from all time periods, but don't be stuck in the past.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/01/17 at 6:57 am

We all get old, I will be 60 this year.  While we get old you get to know you likes and dislikes, and you push you dislikes to one side and lived in the enjoyment of your favourable things.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 01/01/17 at 7:32 am

I feel the same, except I'm only 17 and I usually try to make myself more optimistic.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/01/17 at 7:43 am

I feel the same, except I'm only 17 and I usually try to make myself more optimistic.
For me (and others at my age), it is being aware of the physical side of thing along with the mental side. Many a strenuous activity I now have to forgo.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 01/01/17 at 7:49 am

For me, personally, I think it is a combination of getting older and the crappiness (in my opinion) of the current culture. I turn 18 in just two months time, so I feel as though i'm no longer in the prime audience for liking/following current trends (not that I ever did, to begin with) or liking popular Top-40 music. Even though I am still technically a teenager, I think of myself as being more of a young adult now, especially seeing as though I will soon be of legal age.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/01/17 at 7:52 am

For me, personally, I think it is a combination of getting older and the crappiness (in my opinion) of the current culture. I turn 18 in just two months time, so I feel as though i'm no longer in the prime audience for liking/following current trends (not that I ever did, to begin with) or liking popular Top-40 music. Even though I am still technically a teenager, I think of myself as being more of a young adult now, especially seeing as though I will soon be of legal age.
This is it, you hit the nail on the head. You push the crappiness of the current culture to one side.

Written By: SpyroKev on 01/01/17 at 8:38 am

Your just getting older. Nostalgia is a powerful thing. You prefer how everything used to be.

Written By: Brian06 on 01/01/17 at 9:49 am

I remember when I was your age and I actually loved current culture though there were plenty of complainers back then too. I guess it was an escape of sorts and there were other things way beyond music or television that I prefer from then like the country seeming less divided, not having to worry about bills, etc. I honestly miss when there really wasn't smartphones constantly popping up alerts about all the bad news going on. As I got older I got consumed by stress more and more it seems. I'd also say that today is a hard era for a person with anxiety issues to handle. The scary thing is like when say you're 30 and you possibly might see today as the good old days compared to 2029. How bad will 2029 be? Geez it's scary.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 01/01/17 at 9:51 am

Your just getting older. Nostalgia is a powerful thing. You prefer how everything used to be.

It is powerful if you feel sorrow over anything that isn't what it used to be. I'm one of those people, since I felt rather emotional when I was 12.

Written By: KatanaChick on 01/01/17 at 10:26 am

I know middle aged people who listen to that top 40 music. I was never big on that to begin with. I'm not in my twenties anymore and there's stuff I don't feel too old for. You have a choice to partake in current culture or not.

This is it, you hit the nail on the head. You push the crappiness of the current culture to one side.

See, that's why I get frustrated with these arguments about it. Just because something is popular doesn't mean you have to jump on that bandwagon. Enjoy the stuff you enjoy and life will be better instead of lamenting the state of current music and other media. Don't like what's on the radio? Go to YouTube or use Spotify or whatever. And it's perfectly fine to not care about some popular TV series everyone and their dog is obsessed with. There's such an abundance of things available it surely can't be ALL bad.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/01/17 at 11:41 am

I've been thinking about this. I don't what it is but I'm kind of thinking it's a combination of both. I've seen a lot of people say that they start feeling out of touch around 25-30 and that's basically what's happening to me. Though in a lot of ways it's objectively pretty bad in the world right now. 10 years ago dumb pop songs made me happy, but now that I'm turning 30 in a few months that just doesn't do it anymore. I honestly could care less about the pop charts or trends now. Now I am now entering my prime personally as I move into my 30s but I'm disappointed with the way the world is today. I really think it's worse than it was 10-15 years ago, and especially 20 years ago. In one way I hated being 20 but in another way I'd kill to be 20 again and be more naive and not as bothered by things.

No, it's not your age, a lot of things ARE getting crappier. I was 10 in 1999 when I realized that music was showing signs of going down the poo toilet. And I was 17 in 2006, when I realized comedy movies becoming dull, and repetitive. Even action movies, these days, are getting overproduced and trying to be overly-deep.

Written By: 2001 on 01/01/17 at 1:48 pm

I always found the idea that "no one likes (today's) popular culture" a bit oxymoronic and a contradiction in terms ;D By definition, popular means it's liked by a lot of people. So to answer the question of me "Is it just me or everyone who feels this way?", the answer is you (and a sizable amount of others). I haven't seen empirical or objective evidence that 2016 is worse than other year w.r.t pop culture, so it's most likely just not your personal taste rather than an objective decline in quality.

About getting older and looking back on the past as a simpler time, this is simply a cognitive bias that all humans have and we should correct for it. The truth is, the past isn't as rosy as you remember it, and this is backed up by scientific study. That's not to say it's always untrue that the past was better, but realize that any subjective comparison (e.g. comparing 2016 to 2006) is doomed to a level of inaccuracy because of our very nature to forget bad things and remember only good things.

For full disclosure, I'm 23 and 2016 was one of the best years of my personal life and I enjoyed a lot of the pop culture (it wasn't anything special though, an average year all things considered). Yeah, bad events happened, but none had too big of an effect on my day to day life, so I don't want to be overly dramatic about them.

Written By: Howard on 01/01/17 at 3:03 pm

We all get old, I will be 60 this year.  While we get old you get to know you likes and dislikes, and you push you dislikes to one side and lived in the enjoyment of your favorable things.

and I'll be 43 in March.

Written By: Howard on 01/01/17 at 3:07 pm

I remember at a time when music was fun to listen to but as I got older I didn't really listen to the radio much often so I turned to internet for my love of nostalgic music.

Written By: 2001 on 01/01/17 at 3:21 pm

use Spotify

Sage advice. It's 2016 2017, there's no reason to be restricting yourself to the Top 40 unless you're going to parties. I could understand if it were 1997 and you had to pay $10 for each new album, but in 2017 for $10 you get access to all the world's music. Hundreds of new songs are released every week, I find it hard to believe there's nothing you would like. Actually, I'd argue, by sheer volume and the time constraints, there's more enjoyable new music out there than you can possibly hope to consume. And thanks to power of data and because the 2010s are the best decade ever, you don't have to even go out of your way to find it. Spotify matches you with its other users, and determines how similar your music tastes are, and recommends music it thinks you will like based on what the other user liked. Look up the rave reviews of "Discover Weekly" online, this thing is legit, thank 2016. Other music streaming services have similar features. There is no reason to continue using outdated and cumbersome technology, which is essentially what the radio and Top 40 is now, to discover music or frankly for any task. Jump into 2017 already ;D

I mean just yesterday alone I discovered a lot of obscure music that was to taste and I adore them! Plus they're all from 2016 (they might not be to your taste, and that's why you should get Spotify ;D)

KOcE5FiUxzM
y1GMbwBi8p0

The third video I was going to be posting was I'll Wait by Royal Tusk but it's so obscure the band barely has any YouTube videos, mess! Listen to it if you can. Have this Placebo song from 2010 that I also discovered yesterday instead.

aZjHY5F7gNU

My point being, these songs (except Placebo) are as 2016 as Work From Home or Don't Let Me Down. There's no reason to restrict yourself to the Top 40. No, in this age of Spotify, all songs are created equal, and from each song according to its ability to each song according to its needs /communism ;D

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/01/17 at 3:23 pm

LOL You think Joyce Manor is obscure music. :P

Written By: 2001 on 01/01/17 at 3:25 pm

LOL You think Joyce Manor is obscure music. :P

Their video has 10,000 views on YouTube. Isn't that obscure enough? ;D

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/01/17 at 3:28 pm

Their video has 10,000 views on YouTube. Isn't that obscure enough? ;D

All the Post-Scene kids know about them. Come on, I thought you were hip. ;) Sh!t like that, The Story So Far, Boardside, Neck Deep, Such Gold, etc., etc., etc. All the same scene. Those bands fairly are well known; not exactly mainstream but big enough to have shirts sold at Hot Topic. :P

Written By: 2001 on 01/01/17 at 3:32 pm

All the Post-Scene kids know about them. Come on, I thought you were hip. ;) Sh!t like that, The Story So Far, Boardside, Neck Deep, Such Gold, etc., etc., etc. All the same scene. Those bands fairly are well known; not exactly mainstream but big enough to have shirts sold at Hot Topic. :P

I'm only hip with the kids (ages 2-11). I don't know what teens are up to these days  >:(

Also did scene sound this good all the time because sh*t I missed out. Thank Godify for revealing the Truth.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/01/17 at 3:36 pm

I'm only hip with the kids (ages 2-11). I don't know what teens are up to these days  >:(

Also did scene sound this good all the time because sh*t I missed out. Thank Godify for revealing the Truth.

You and your kids cartoons. ::)

Scene never sounded good! This stuff sucks. 8-P Pop Punk's been stuck in 2005 since... 2005... :P Boardside sound like something off of Fall Out Boy's Take This To Your Grave or some We The Kings garbage and The Story So Far sound like an angry Paramore. Joyce Manor are like Every Avenue's equally sh!tty cousin but the one that tries to imitate the 90's midwest sound. Neck Deep and Such Gold? Just more 2008-Wonder Years clones. I hate the present because I'm old, too. I miss the old days and Pop Punk makes it all too clear to me. :-\\

Written By: nintieskid999 on 01/01/17 at 3:51 pm

No the 2010s are generally bad. However IF the music is great in the late 2010s OR the 2020s I'm gonna hold to that music and those trends like my life depended on it. I'm not missing out on anything good because of age.

Written By: 2001 on 01/01/17 at 3:55 pm

You and your kids cartoons. ::)

It's more our shared love of Katy Perry, Sia, Ariana Grande, and Pokémon GO and Minecraft  :-X :-X

Scene never sounded good! This stuff sucks. 8-P Pop Punk's been stuck in 2005 since... 2005... :P Boardside sound like something off of Fall Out Boy's Take This To Your Grave or some We The Kings garbage and The Story So Far sound like an angry Paramore. Joyce Manor are like Every Avenue's equally sh!tty cousin but the one that tries to imitate the 90's midwest sound. Neck Deep and Such Gold? Just more 2008-Wonder Years clones. I hate the present because I'm old, too. I miss the old days and Pop Punk makes it all too clear to me. :-\\

To be honest, I only like pop punk in an historical context. Hearing a song from 2002 about being a whiny slacker is okay to me but not 2016 ;D I heard a few early 2000s sounding pop punk though, err, I guess this? I liked this song lol

4ZSbPV1UcEw

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/01/17 at 4:01 pm

It's more our shared love of Katy Perry, Sia, Ariana Grande, and Pokémon GO and Minecraft  :-X :-X

To be honest, I only like pop punk in an historical context. Hearing a song from 2002 about being a whiny slacker is okay to me but not 2016 ;D I heard a few early 2000s sounding pop punk though, err, I guess this? I liked this song lol

4ZSbPV1UcEw

I only who what three of those things are. :-\\

Yeah, that's fair enough. You can't beat Pop Punk's golden age! ;) You did show me a new-enough band in the "What are you listening to mid-late whatevers edition" thread that I liked though. Who were they again?

That song is pretty bad. 8-P

Written By: 2001 on 01/01/17 at 4:21 pm

I only who what three of those things are. :-\\

Yeah, that's fair enough. You can't beat Pop Punk's golden age! ;) You did show me a new-enough band in the "What are you listening to mid-late whatevers edition" thread that I liked though. Who were they again?

That song is pretty bad. 8-P

You ain't hip at all!

You'll probably always like the early 2000s more, but you can't tell me that with 1,000,000+ songs that came out in 2016 that you hated all of them (or only found very few you like). That's just empirically impossible ;D Even if you only liked 1 out of every 1000 songs (58 hours of music at 3 minutes 30 seconds each), that's still 1,000 songs you liked.

Hmm. It was called In The End. A Linkin Park hearkening.

Mess!,

Written By: Howard on 01/01/17 at 4:24 pm

I don't want to be hip with the kids.

Written By: 2001 on 01/01/17 at 4:29 pm

I don't want to be hip with the kids.

But kids are adorable! :(

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/01/17 at 8:51 pm

You ain't hip at all!

You'll probably always like the early 2000s more, but you can't tell me that with 1,000,000+ songs that came out in 2016 that you hated all of them (or only found very few you like). That's just empirically impossible ;D Even if you only liked 1 out of every 1000 songs (58 hours of music at 3 minutes 30 seconds each), that's still 1,000 songs you liked.

Hmm. It was called In The End. A Linkin Park hearkening.

Mess!,

I am very hip thank you very much!!!

The 90's and early 00's was my era so you're right about that but you're wrong about me liking any songs from 2016. I hate all of them! >:( Maybe if you actually told me the name of that band you recommended to me and I'd be able to say "Yeah, I like some 2010s music!" instead of telling me nonsense like Linkin Park. Next you're gonna tell me I also liked a Limp Bizkit song... 8-P

I like this song:
BKy-iRHR280

It's from 2013. I listened to their other songs and wasn't too into them but this one takes the cake. The video looks too new for the late 90's/early 00's and the singer's the only one with the right look but the sound is spot on. This totally could of come out in 1998 or whatever.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/01/17 at 8:58 pm

I had to find it myself! Turns out the singer in the video I linked is wearing the shirt of the band you recommended to me way back. Thanks so much for the help.... Linkin Park... Yeah, right, and I'm a monkey's uncle. ::)

It's this song. I like it a lot:

fGeLdROURTA

Written By: SpyroKev on 01/02/17 at 7:38 am

I always found the idea that "no one likes (today's) popular culture" a bit oxymoronic and a contradiction in terms ;D By definition, popular means it's liked by a lot of people. So to answer the question of me "Is it just me or everyone who feels this way?", the answer is you (and a sizable amount of others). I haven't seen empirical or objective evidence that 2016 is worse than other year w.r.t pop culture, so it's most likely just not your personal taste rather than an objective decline in quality.

About getting older and looking back on the past as a simpler time, this is simply a cognitive bias that all humans have and we should correct for it. The truth is, the past isn't as rosy as you remember it, and this is backed up by scientific study. That's not to say it's always untrue that the past was better, but realize that any subjective comparison (e.g. comparing 2016 to 2006) is doomed to a level of inaccuracy because of our very nature to forget bad things and remember only good things.

That's one scientific study I disagree with. I can remember days from 03 that were boring based on having nothing to do, but the energy then was still positive. Today's era is fun only if your at the right place at the right time and know the right people.

Written By: 2001 on 01/02/17 at 9:59 am

That's one scientific study I disagree with. I can remember days from 03 that were boring based on having nothing to do, but the energy then was still positive. Today's era is fun only if your at the right place at the right time and know the right people.

I'm not sure what you said disproves the studies, in fact, quite the opposite :o One of the studies showed that people derive a lot of happiness from remembering events which they reported as providing only moderate amount of happiness or even neutral (no happiness) as they were living through it.

I mean, I'd be surprised if in 2003 you were thinking "I'm really bored right now, but at the least the vibe of the era I'm living in is positive". The boredom was actually a negative experience, but you are now so far removed from it that you now remember it as positive :P

Written By: 2001 on 01/02/17 at 10:07 am

I am very hip thank you very much!!!

The 90's and early 00's was my era so you're right about that but you're wrong about me liking any songs from 2016. I hate all of them! >:( Maybe if you actually told me the name of that band you recommended to me and I'd be able to say "Yeah, I like some 2010s music!" instead of telling me nonsense like Linkin Park. Next you're gonna tell me I also liked a Limp Bizkit song... 8-P

I like this song:

It's from 2013. I listened to their other songs and wasn't too into them but this one takes the cake. The video looks too new for the late 90's/early 00's and the singer's the only one with the right look but the sound is spot on. This totally could of come out in 1998 or whatever.

That is very shameless of an early 2000s revival :o

The chick had the early 2000s look too, except maybe the hair.

Written By: 2001 on 01/02/17 at 10:11 am

I had to find it myself! Turns out the singer in the video I linked is wearing the shirt of the band you recommended to me way back. Thanks so much for the help.... Linkin Park... Yeah, right, and I'm a monkey's uncle. ::)

It's this song. I like it a lot:

I thought In The End was the band's name. "A Linkin Park hearkening" was a joke ;D

Written By: 80sfan on 01/02/17 at 10:26 am

I thought In The End was the band's name. "A Linkin Park hearkening" was a joke ;D

You weren't 'with it', and hip, at the time, were you?

Written By: SpyroKev on 01/02/17 at 10:33 am

I'm not sure what you said disproves the studies, in fact, quite the opposite :o One of the studies showed that people derive a lot of happiness from remembering events which they reported as providing only moderate amount of happiness or even neutral (no happiness) as they were living through it.

I mean, I'd be surprised if in 2003 you were thinking "I'm really bored right now, but at the least the vibe of the era I'm living in is positive". The boredom was actually a negative experience, but you are now so far removed from it that you now remember it as positive :P

I'm just going to say this, today is way too depressive. You wouldn't believe how much the internet brought out the dark side in people. Close comrades you know could be prejudice against you on a daily basis.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/02/17 at 10:37 am

I'm just going to say this, today is way too depressive. You wouldn't believe how much the internet brought out the dark side in people. Close comrades you know could be prejudice against you on a daily basis.

You mean like they're judgmental against you/me?  ???

Written By: 2001 on 01/02/17 at 10:37 am

You weren't 'with it', and hip, at the time, were you?

I've always been hip! >:(

In 2013 I was in a Harlem Shake video. That's peak hip.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/02/17 at 10:39 am

In two years I'll be 30, and with my walking cane. My edgy years are nearing its end.  :-X

Written By: 2001 on 01/02/17 at 10:44 am

Racism has always been there tbh, it's only now it's out in the open, and yeah it is pretty scary.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 01/02/17 at 10:47 am

We're the same age so I do understand how you feel. I'll be turning 30 in July, and I've also felt increasingly detached from the popular music scene for some time. Back in the 2000's, I used to listen to Top 40 radio all the time. I followed that stuff so closely back then, I could probably still correctly guess 20 of the top 25 songs of each year from 1998 through 2007. I started to lose a little interest in the late '00s, though, and that's only continued throughout the '10s. If I were to look at the current Billboard Hot 100 right now, I might be able to recognize maybe one or two songs.

But I don't think it's because things are inherently worse now, though. There was plenty of horrific music that I liked back in the day, but because I was a teenager the fact that it was terrible didn't register with me. Hell, I was even a fan of Limp Bizkit at one point! :-[

Written By: SpyroKev on 01/02/17 at 10:47 am

You mean like they're judgmental against you/me?  ???

Yes. If you ran into a offensive comment on a specific YouTube video, it could be from someone you consider close. You never know. People vent out their frustrations online all the time. The internet is a powerful tool.

Racism has always been there tbh, it's only now it's out in the open, and yeah it is pretty scary.

But the internet gave it a massive power boost.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 01/02/17 at 10:48 am

Except it's not really mainstream in real life anymore. It's just a underground community that nobody talks about normally.

Written By: 2001 on 01/02/17 at 10:59 am

Yes. If you ran into a offensive comment on a specific YouTube video, it could be from someone you consider close. You never know. People vent out their frustrations online all the time. The internet is a powerful tool.

Yeah that's true. Reddit provides a safe space for many racists and stifles free speech where their views aren't challenged (say bad anything about Donnie on the r/The_Donald and you get the ban hammer). Twitter is overrun by the eggs and the frogs. Heck not just the frogs, I tweeted about reading the "Rape of Nanking" by Iris Chang and I had Japanese Nationalists all over my ass for the next few hours. It's very easy to launch harassment campaigns on that site. And yeah, I'm not getting much into 4chan, first it was known for its pedos and now it's known for Nazis, it's a sad reflection on society that that site is as big as it is.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/02/17 at 11:12 am

Some of them are true blue racists. Some of them are just trolls trying to get attention.  :P

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 01/02/17 at 11:26 am

Honestly I think it's a mixture of both you getting older and pop culture being pretty stagnant. Generally speaking people are at the 'prime' of their youth between the ages of 9 (when you start your tweens, i.e. using something that's relatable to your age, tweets in the 90's being into The Spice Girls or Hanson) through age 24 or so (ie mid 20 something's in the early 10's being into club music like Flo Rida or Pitbull). It peaks somewhere around age 16, or around your Junior year of high school which for you would be (assuming you were born in 87') during the 2003-2004 school year. That was over 10 years ago and the pop culture at the time was dramatically different from today. Artists like Britney Spears, Justin Timberlake, 50 Cent, among others were in their prime back then. These days, most teens would find those artists as 'old school' or 'before their time'.

So it's not surprising for you to be nostalgic of the past. You mentioned you stopped enjoying pop culture when you was 26, well that makes sense from both a biological and cultural standpoint. As I've learned in school via classes like Health science & Pschology, you officially become an adult mentally & physically around age 25 or so. 11-18 is your adolescence period, while ages 18-25 is your Emerging Adulthood period.

Now with that said, there really is no objective way to claim that pop culture is better or worst in a certain time period. You may subjectively feel that pop culture today sucks (as a lot of people on this forum do, so you're not alone on that front), but somehow somewhere there's someone who's 15 or 16 who's enjoying the heck out of their new The Weeknd album, Starboy. Now with that said there's certain trends in which things have either stagnated or have seem to have lost much variety. I agree that pop music (as in Top 40 music) objectively currently has ess variety than 10-20 years ago. Back then you had pop, rap/hip hop, & alternative having an equal amount of presence within pop music. Now it's only rap/hip hop, or some kind of hybrid between pop, rap, & EDM that gets any major exposure. However, that doesn't mean that the quality of the music being played today is worst, just something I need to stress, it's based on your particular tastes in music & such.

Written By: 2001 on 01/02/17 at 12:09 pm

Some of them are true blue racists. Some of them are just trolls trying to get attention.  :P

I think this election should have proven that you don't have to be an actively evil person to be racist, the mild forms of it are much more prevalent. But even putting that discussion aside...

Is there really any reason why it's okay to troll or get attention using racism than it is to troll using any other type of rhetoric that we all agree is deplorable? Is it okay to "troll" by pretending to be a pedophile around someone's children? Is it okay to troll about someone's disabilities? Is it okay to troll about a traumatic experience someone had such as rape?

Racism is about questioning people's very humanity over benign things such as skin colour and other things that they have no control over. I mean it's not exactly a light hearted coffee table topic.

Written By: SpyroKev on 01/02/17 at 12:11 pm

Except it's not really mainstream in real life anymore. It's just a underground community that nobody talks about normally.

That's good.

Yeah that's true. Reddit provides a safe space for many racists and stifles free speech where their views aren't challenged (say bad anything about Donnie on the r/The_Donald and you get the ban hammer). Twitter is overrun by the eggs and the frogs. Heck not just the frogs, I tweeted about reading the "Rape of Nanking" by Iris Chang and I had Japanese Nationalists all over my ass for the next few hours. It's very easy to launch harassment campaigns on that site. And yeah, I'm not getting much into 4chan, first it was known for its pedos and now it's known for Nazis, it's a sad reflection on society that that site is as big as it is.

What you said was true to. Its not good to focus on the past because it distracts you from potential moments you may be missing. I just prefer the music of that time and the feels they capture.

That negativity is easy to ignore. I been to a college recently and I doubt the community participate in that event. They look so cute and innocent. Haha Its just that when their a only, older or majority in the state, that's where their hidden.

It could also be self hate. These online trolls could have impactful stories.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 01/02/17 at 12:28 pm

Racism is about questioning people's very humanity over benign things such as skin colour and other things that they have no control over. I mean it's not exactly a light hearted coffee table topic.

THIS!

I just wish the Internet realizes that people should just shut the hell up about people's skin color and where they came from, since they can't control where they want to be born at. Not to mention that it's medical information as to where they were born, so it's not like they had the choice to be white, black, Asian, racially mixed, etc.

Written By: Looney Toon on 01/02/17 at 12:35 pm

THIS!

I just wish the Internet realizes that people should just shut the hell up about people's skin color and where they came from, since they can't control where they want to be born at. Not to mention that it's medical information as to where they were born, so it's not like they had the choice to be white, black, Asian, racially mixed, etc.

Criticizing a person because of something they can't control is beyond stupid and anyone who does this is pretty much part of the reason why this world can't contain peace. Whether you criticize anyone for their race, age, or gender it's just downright pointless and does nothing for anyone except cause people to get upset (name ONE time that racism, sexism, or ageism ever amounted to anything good and really benefited this world.....seriously all I ask is just to name 'ONE' time...can't be that hard.....................,right?). I never was given a choice on my age, race, and gender so I don't see why I should criticize someone else who also wasn't given a choice either.  We are who we are. If someone can't deal with that then that person is one of the scum of this planet.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/02/17 at 12:50 pm

I think this election should have proven that you don't have to be an actively evil person to be racist, the mild forms of it are much more prevalent. But even putting that discussion aside...

Is there really any reason why it's okay to troll or get attention using racism than it is to troll using any other type of rhetoric that we all agree is deplorable? Is it okay to "troll" by pretending to be a pedophile around someone's children? Is it okay to troll about someone's disabilities? Is it okay to troll about a traumatic experience someone had such as rape?

The problem is everyone think they're a professional comedian. They're not. There are jokes about race and rape, that done right, can be enlightening and funny. The true and professional comedians are rare.

Also, comedy isn't supposed to be sensitive, or PC. It's supposed to be offensive. Eddie Murphy's stand-up back in the 1980's would be cringed at today. Some of it was upright homophobic.

And why do we watch comedy cartoons, and stand-up shows, if we're so 'enlightened', 'sensitive', and 'intellectual'? Why not just write Seth McFarlene, or South Park, and tell him, and them, to shut down their show? Why not cringe over The Simpsons when Moe makes some racist comment? Why don't we cancel all of those shows?

TV shows troll all the time. At least you know they're joking. I agree that you can't tell if someone is trolling, or not, and that's a problem.

My problem with far Left people is that they cherry pick when to be offended, and ignore other times they should be offended. No, it's not okay to be racist, or offensively trolling, but the left has a sure one-sided argument for a lot of things.

Like some people will insist that Chris Rock was being racist, or offensive, when he was making his Asian joke, at the Oscars. And some of the people defending him probably were on the left. And some criticized him for not being sensitive, especially on an Oscar night when people were talking about lack of diversity in the movies, and Oscars.

My problem isn't that we should be offensive, especially on purpose, but I have a problem with people cherry picking when they're offended, based on their own bias, or if it doesn't fit a narrative they have, and sometimes an incomplete narrative at that. And then ignore offensive things just because they're 'in a good mood.'

I believe that's the problem people have with the SJW's. They aren't always consistent, or living with integrity. And a lot of them want attention, and the way they display themselves, and present their arguments, is very off putting.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 01/02/17 at 12:56 pm

Criticizing a person because of something they can't control is beyond stupid and anyone who does this is pretty much part of the reason why this world can't contain peace. Whether you criticize anyone for their race, age, or gender it's just downright pointless and does nothing for anyone except cause people to get upset (name ONE time that racism, sexism, or ageism ever amounted to anything good and really benefited this world.....seriously all I ask is just to name 'ONE' time...can't be that hard.....................,right?). I never was given a choice on my age, race, and gender so I don't see why I should criticize someone else who also wasn't given a choice either.  We are who we are. If someone can't deal with that then that person is one of the scum of this planet.

I may be thinking they do that, because of the First Amendment and other freedom of speech rights in certain countries. However, does it really matter to legitimately say that person is "inferior", just because they're not in the same race as you? No. It brought in nothing more than just a dark era for the whole world, since it proven that a certain race shouldn't be abusing other people because of their skin pigmentation. Especially the police, although they should've been more firm on minorities. Regardless of criminal statistics.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/02/17 at 12:59 pm

But yes, there are a lot of hateful, and close-minded, people out there!  8-P

Written By: Baltimoreian on 01/02/17 at 1:36 pm

The problem is everyone think they're a professional comedian. They're not. There are jokes about race and rape, that done right, can be enlightening and funny. The true and professional comedians are rare.

The subject of humor is rather subjective. They're could be people who talk about stereotypes every day, but they don't talk about it with sensitive people.

Also, comedy isn't supposed to be sensitive, or PC. It's supposed to be offensive. Eddie Murphy's stand-up back in the 1980's would be cringed at today. Some of it was upright homophobic.

Not ALL comedy is supposed to be sensitive though. You could have comedians that talk about moments where a group of people laugh, and it doesn't turn into a news moment. Yes, there are moments where people rant about a specific type of people, but it's not like they mean it to their heart.

And why do we watch comedy cartoons, and stand-up shows, if we're so 'enlightened', 'sensitive', and 'intellectual'? Why not just write Seth MacFarlene, or South Park, and tell him, and them, to shut down their show? Why not cringe over The Simpsons when Moe makes some racist comment?

Most of Family Guy's jokes are usually around celebrities and old pop culture references, in which Seth MacFarlane and the writers grew up with. The Simpsons just tend to use the same 90s style comedy, even though nobody laughs at it anymore. And South Park doesn't really tend to be racially insensitive in a serious manner, since it's obviously supposed to be funny. The point is that those shows are usually aimed at teenagers and adults, since children are usually developing their minds and needs to understand that not everything is real.

TV shows troll all the time. At least you know they're joking. I agree that you can't tell if someone is trolling, or not, and that's a problem.

But the purpose of trolling is to OFFEND people. Sure, some of them know that it's not taken seriously, but most of them probably take it in a different light. For instance, I was in several message boards before I joined this one. Most of the time, I quit because I didn't realize that those people were actually pushing my buttons for laughs. The worst thing about trolling is that people would usually do it for sensitive people, and those who are concrete thinkers. Both of those characteristics are quite common for those on the Autism spectrum. So it's difficult for them to realize that not all of them are dicks.

My problem with far Left people is that they cherry pick when to be offended, and ignore other times they should be offended. No, it's not okay to be racist, or offensively trolling, but the left has a sure one-sided argument for a lot of things.

Even though not all people on the left spectrum tend to take things very seriously. My parents loved shows like The Chapelle's Show, early Simpsons, and South Park (back in the late 90s), all of them which talk about race in most of their episodes. Not only are they liberals, but they're also an interracial couple (hence why I usually define myself as a biracial). So to a couple that dated outside of their race, I have to say you're generalizing left-leaning political supporters.

Like some people will insist that Chris Rock was being racist, or offensive, when he was making his Asian joke, at the Oscars. And some of the people defending him probably were on the left. And some criticized him for not being sensitive, especially on an Oscar night when people were talking about lack of diversity in the movies, and Oscars.

Every single comedian makes a racial joke. Does it matter if it's offensive? Sometimes. But do people get a laugh out of them? Yes (at least most of the time). Some people might not like to laugh, since they might be clinically depressed or something. Or maybe they were traumatized by a specific event. That's why some people take it seriously, even if it doesn't matter.

My problem isn't that we should be offensive, especially on purpose, but I have a problem with people cherry picking when they're offended, based on their own bias, or if it doesn't fit a narrative they have, and sometimes an incomplete narrative at that. And then ignore offensive things just because they're 'in a good mood.'

Every person has a different perspective over comedy. Yes, there could be people that are very racially sensitive, but it doesn't really matter for the people who make the jokes. It's just a subject that's not treated as a fact.

I believe that's the problem people have with the SJW's. They aren't always consistent, or living with integrity. And a lot of them want attention, and the way they display themselves, and present their arguments, is very off putting.

A lot of SJWs don't really understand the real world. They're usually stuck in their own peaceful land, where nothing offensive (according to their minds) can get in. I may disagree with this, but I don't want to offend anybody just for the sake of them still being mentally young.

Written By: Howard on 01/02/17 at 2:26 pm

But kids are adorable! :(

Not today's kids.  ::)

Written By: Howard on 01/02/17 at 2:28 pm

You were?  :o

Written By: Howard on 01/02/17 at 2:29 pm

In two years I'll be 30, and with my walking cane. My edgy years are nearing its end.  :-X

You're still young, you've got time.  ;)

Written By: 80sfan on 01/02/17 at 2:58 pm

You're still young, you've got time.  ;)

Yay!

Written By: 80sfan on 01/02/17 at 3:03 pm

The subject of humor is rather subjective. They're could be people who talk about stereotypes every day, but they don't talk about it with sensitive people.

Not ALL comedy is supposed to be sensitive though. You could have comedians that talk about moments where a group of people laugh, and it doesn't turn into a news moment. Yes, there are moments where people rant about a specific type of people, but it's not like they mean it to their heart.

Most of Family Guy's jokes are usually around celebrities and old pop culture references, in which Seth MacFarlane and the writers grew up with. The Simpsons just tend to use the same 90s style comedy, even though nobody laughs at it anymore. And South Park doesn't really tend to be racially insensitive in a serious manner, since it's obviously supposed to be funny. The point is that those shows are usually aimed at teenagers and adults, since children are usually developing their minds and needs to understand that not everything is real.

But the purpose of trolling is to OFFEND people. Sure, some of them know that it's not taken seriously, but most of them probably take it in a different light. For instance, I was in several message boards before I joined this one. Most of the time, I quit because I didn't realize that those people were actually pushing my buttons for laughs. The worst thing about trolling is that people would usually do it for sensitive people, and those who are concrete thinkers. Both of those characteristics are quite common for those on the Autism spectrum. So it's difficult for them to realize that not all of them are dicks.

Even though not all people on the left spectrum tend to take things very seriously. My parents loved shows like The Chapelle's Show, early Simpsons, and South Park (back in the late 90s), all of them which talk about race in most of their episodes. Not only are they liberals, but they're also an interracial couple (hence why I usually define myself as a biracial). So to a couple that dated outside of their race, I have to say you're generalizing left-leaning political supporters.

Every single comedian makes a racial joke. Does it matter if it's offensive? Sometimes. But do people get a laugh out of them? Yes (at least most of the time). Some people might not like to laugh, since they might be clinically depressed or something. Or maybe they were traumatized by a specific event. That's why some people take it seriously, even if it doesn't matter.

Every person has a different perspective over comedy. Yes, there could be people that are very racially sensitive, but it doesn't really matter for the people who make the jokes. It's just a subject that's not treated as a fact.

A lot of SJWs don't really understand the real world. They're usually stuck in their own peaceful land, where nothing offensive (according to their minds) can get in. I may disagree with this, but I don't want to offend anybody just for the sake of them still being mentally young.

I would also like to add, that I've told off some racist trolls myself, on Youtube. Joking, or not, we can't tell, because I'm not a psychic!

I've cussed at the Youtube racist trolls, and downvoted them, when Youtube still had those negative downvotes.  :-X

And yes, New York, and Slowpoke, some people are just dreadfully ignorant, and judgmental (hint, hint, racist).

Written By: bchris02 on 01/02/17 at 3:53 pm

It's a combination.  Most people tend to like mainstream music less once they get to their late twenties but it isn't always the case.

I know people in their early 20s today who hate today's Top 40 just as much as I do.  I would say my best years for Top 40 were 2007 through about 2011, which covered most of my early into my mid 20s.  I think today's music just doesn't appeal to people above their mid-late teens.

I think the age you stop liking mainstream music is determined by when the style you liked as a teenager falls out of favor as well as how well you adapt to the modern sound.  For me, that happened in 2013 and I just can't get into today's EDM teen pop.  It will be interesting to see how my opinion of modern music changes once this teen pop era runs its course.  I can only imagine how teens of the '80s felt once we got to around 1998 or 1999 and *NSync and the Backstreet Boys were dominant.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 01/02/17 at 4:18 pm

I would also like to add, that I've told off some racist trolls myself, on Youtube. Joking, or not, we can't tell, because I'm not a psychic!

I wish I've done the same, but I'm really frightened that they'll might harass me because I'm mixed race, especially when I'm half white.

I've cussed at the Youtube racist trolls, and downvoted them, when Youtube still had those negative downvotes.  :-X

While it might work for some arguments, I'm not sure if they'll step down since they wouldn't stop arguing about stuff.

And yes, New York, and Slowpoke, some people are just dreadfully ignorant, and judgmental (hint, hint, racist).

Which is true. A lot of them are ignorant as fudge and can't shut up about certain topics on political YouTube videos.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/02/17 at 8:06 pm

That is very shameless of an early 2000s revival :o

The chick had the early 2000s look too, except maybe the hair.

Isn't it? The singer's the only one with the early 00's look, though. Even the chick, she reminds me more of someone I'd see around 2009.

Oh, ok. :P

Check out the "What Are You Listening to" thread! I posted more of their songs!

Written By: 2001 on 01/02/17 at 8:15 pm

I’m going to concur with NYE here. Humour is very subjective and contextual, and there’s not much that makes a joke objectively funny. It’s possible that many people might find a joke about race or rape funny, but don’t be surprised if many people don’t find it funny. It doesn’t mean they’re wrong.

A good example would be the parody post Jordan made in the 2016: A Terrible Year thread. It’s funny if you’re in on the joke, but when BornIn86 came in not knowing the context, the 'joke' became suddenly not so funny for that short moment. Context and audience can change a lot when it comes to humour.

You’re making that insinuation that just because something is funny or made in jest, that it is above criticism. I strongly disagree. I pretty much believe that everything and anything can be up for criticism, including comedy. Eddie Murphy’s comedy is actually a perfect example of comedy that was rightfully criticized. It would have been a shame if no one stood up to that, and that sort of thing remain normalized and acceptable.

I think a perfect contemporary example of this is Ann Coutler’s roast. This is a despicable excuse of a human being, and if she were to suffer an unfortunate fatal accident tomorrow, I’d be the first to raise my glass (lolzz just kidding!), but I still found the sexist jokes in the roast to be very distasteful, even if I found myself laughing at them. The criticisms of the episode I saw afterwards on Twitter were not entirely baseless in my opinion.

Quite frankly, the freedom to criticize comedy results in comedy being a lot more funnier than it otherwise would have been. Can you imagine the horde of unfunny comedians that would exist if they had never received proper critical feedback? Can you imagine those extremely unfunny rape and Nazi jokes on 4chan becoming normalized outside of there, simply because they said it for the sake of kek? Calling out sh*t humour makes future humour better.

Also, I don’t think it's always true that comedy is supposed to be offensive. Sure, there is a strain of comedy that finds its humour on breaking taboos and forbidden topics, but not all humour is supposed to be that way. There are many more ways to make good humour (not to say all offensive humour is bad). You’re kind of insinuating that if there was no one to offend then there would no such thing as humour.

And why do we watch comedy cartoons, and stand-up shows, if we're so 'enlightened', 'sensitive', and 'intellectual'? Why not just write Seth McFarlene, or South Park, and tell him, and them, to shut down their show? Why not cringe over The Simpsons when Moe makes some racist comment? Why don't we cancel all of those shows?

You don’t have to shut down what you’re doing in the face of criticism, just improve on it! Critical feedback. They can also reject the criticism and carry on what they’re doing. I mean, again, just because something is said for the sake of kek doesn’t mean that people can’t criticize it.

I never said all trolling was wrong, in fact, I troll all the time! Trolling can be funny if it’s witty. I’m simply saying that there are topics that people don’t ‘troll’ about. Just because you’re ‘trolling’ doesn’t mean people can’t call you out when you’re behaving stupid. Like in the examples I listed above, would you troll about being a pedo around my little sister? No, you wouldn’t, it would be completely indecent. Really, why is racism any more acceptable than all the other forbidden topics, other than by the sheer number of people who participate in it? It’s every bit as deplorable, and we should start treating it as such. It ought not to be acceptable to ‘troll’ about being racist. "Ironically being a fascist is cool, bro" should not be a thing.

This is a problem with all human beings, not just the ‘far left’. People are good at being critical of others, but the brain is not as capable of criticizing itself. It’s a cognitive bias. That’s why we have open discussions about these sort of things! To get a chance to not only point out deficiencies in others, but also have our own deficiencies pointed out to us. The solution is to point out any inconsistencies when you see them, and hope they correct for their behaviour. I mean, if you’re trying to prove that leftists are also human beings who also make mistakes, I don’t think you’ve exactly revealed a grand secret :P

But not only that, this is an example of tu quoque fallacy.  Just because someone doesn’t follow what they preach, doesn’t necessarily mean what they said is wrong. They can still be right about something they said, even if they’re a sad excuse for a human being while the topic of discussion is ethics and morality.

To be honest, that joke was not very funny, from a purely humourist point of view. But not only unfunny, but damaging to the psyche as well. There are a lot of people who feel very insecure about their name, because it doesn’t sound like everyone else’s, because people can’t pronounce it, or it gives away their ethnicity and the resulting stereotypes. Not only that, it’s been proven by study after study that the ethnicity implied by your name can affect job prospects (Asians with ethnic names are less likely to get hired than whites, even if more qualified). Really, no one should have to live like that, and it’s good that people called out the joke that reinforced that behaviour.

Like I said, you should call it out when you see it. People are naturally going to point out injustices that affect them more personally, it doesn’t mean that they’re wrong.

I’m not a fan of online pile-on behaviour either (which is becoming just as common among the right these days as the left, if Twitter is to be believed). I however think it’s also true that sometimes people react very poorly to fair criticism. It’s the only way I can see how the media doing it’s job in criticizing Trump was interpreted as being ‘unfair’, as if that means anything in the context of journalism. It’s the only way I can see how ’that's just my personal opinion’ or ‘that is not true in my personal experience’ is valued above objective reality and evident truths. Would it be nice if people would use less ad hominems and didn’t ascribe malicious intent to the people they’re criticizing? Yes, absolutely. I can see why that would stifle a healthy discussion. That doesn’t mean the act of criticizing itself was wrong though. And I’d hope people would call me out when I’m wrong too, so I can correct my thoughts and/or behaviour. Wrong is wrong, and it should be called out.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/02/17 at 8:34 pm

I have to disagree with the notion that all comedy has to be offensive. That's like saying all music has to be soft/loud or all movies have to be romance/action. There's different genres and little niches that appeal to different types of people or else it would be boring. Me, personally, I like a lot of satire and parody but I also like a lot of really stupid humor, I mean, just look what half the sh!t I post. :P But I like going back and forth with guys like Slowpoke and Zelek pretending we're ultra conservative alt-right guys and posting the worst inane crap we can think of as a form of satire. It gives me a genuine good laugh to see what they come up with in response to the posts I make. It's fun to us but not everyone might be into that. My wife is someone who loves a lot of really offensive and dark humor that I don't always enjoy but I like it sometimes, say, when I watch a show like South Park. Some comedy is just Smash-Mouth's-fun-for-the-whole-family-joke-hour which usually sucks but I dunno, my grandma might like it whereas if she watched South Park, it'd give the poor old woman a heart attack. Point is, comedy is like any other form of entertainment; there's so many genres that it really can be whatever you want it to be.

Written By: BornIn86 on 01/02/17 at 8:38 pm

Yay!

I turned 30 last year and I honestly feel like a reset button has been hit.

Written By: BornIn86 on 01/02/17 at 8:48 pm

Not today's kids.  ::)

https://www.buzzfeed.com/daves4/theres-hope-i-swear?bffbmain&utm_term=.sdBLb7aaa#.xtV7kgDDD

:)

Written By: 2001 on 01/02/17 at 9:50 pm

Isn't it? The singer's the only one with the early 00's look, though. Even the chick, she reminds me more of someone I'd see around 2009.

Oh, ok. :P

Check out the "What Are You Listening to" thread! I posted more of their songs!

Oh for some reason I thought I saw her wearing a tank top and flared jeans. I can't really tell.

And their latest songs sound mid 2000s because it's a natural evolution. Like me evolving from Slowpoke to Slowbro.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/02/17 at 10:06 pm

Oh for some reason I thought I saw her wearing a tank top and flared jeans. I can't really tell.

And their latest songs sound mid 2000s because it's a natural evolution. Like me evolving from Slowpoke to Slowbro.

But it's totally lame! I really like their self-titled and One Night Stand EP. Better Luck Next Time have been a band since 2004 and they've sounded the same since their debut Third Time's a Charm. I'm actually kinda bummed I never pay attention to them way back because they're the only few new bands that stayed good throughout the 00's. Bad Religion's also sounded roughly the same since Suffer from '88. Head Injuries had so much potential! Couldn't they at least have had the courtesy to get heavier? I'd love if their new album was more Post-Hardcore oriented kind of like how No Motiv and DBS changed from their early records. Lame. :-\\

Written By: Howard on 01/03/17 at 2:50 pm

I turned 30 last year and I honestly feel like a reset button has been hit.

I will turn 43 in March.

Written By: BornIn86 on 01/03/17 at 4:42 pm

A good example would be the parody post Jordan made in the 2016: A Terrible Year thread. It’s funny if you’re in on the joke, but when BornIn86 came in not knowing the context, the 'joke' became suddenly not so funny for that short moment. Context and audience can change a lot when it comes to humour.

That's what happens when you step away from the internet for a week.

Written By: 2001 on 01/03/17 at 4:45 pm

But it's totally lame! I really like their self-titled and One Night Stand EP. Better Luck Next Time have been a band since 2004 and they've sounded the same since their debut Third Time's a Charm. I'm actually kinda bummed I never pay attention to them way back because they're the only few new bands that stayed good throughout the 00's. Bad Religion's also sounded roughly the same since Suffer from '88. Head Injuries had so much potential! Couldn't they at least have had the courtesy to get heavier? I'd love if their new album was more Post-Hardcore oriented kind of like how No Motiv and DBS changed from their early records. Lame. :-\\

Wouldn't your life be easier if you just learnt to like the mid-2000s sound?

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/03/17 at 4:47 pm

Wouldn't your life be easier if you just learnt to like the mid-2000s sound?

Why would I do that? I only like good things!

Besides, it's not my fault when good bands with potential decide they'd rather wear skinny jeans and start playing faux-Emo even though it's 2017. ::)

Written By: Baltimoreian on 01/03/17 at 5:47 pm

Besides, it's not my fault when good bands with potential decide they'd rather wear skinny jeans and start playing faux-Emo even though it's 2017. ::)

You know, you would've been enlightened if you listened to mid 2000s songs. They're as good as bands from 2000-2002.  8)

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/03/17 at 6:05 pm

You know, you would've been enlightened if you listened to mid 2000s songs. They're as good as bands from 2000-2002.  8)

http://media.ign.com/boardfaces/19.gif

Yeah.... No thanks....

Written By: Baltimoreian on 01/03/17 at 6:23 pm

http://media.ign.com/boardfaces/19.gif

Yeah.... No thanks....

http://media.ign.com/boardfaces/18.gif http://media.ign.com/boardfaces/18.gif http://media.ign.com/boardfaces/18.gif

I know that you're joking, Jordan.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/03/17 at 6:26 pm

http://media.ign.com/boardfaces/18.gif http://media.ign.com/boardfaces/18.gif http://media.ign.com/boardfaces/18.gif

I know that you're joking, Jordan.

How? I don't like the mid 00's sound.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 01/03/17 at 6:35 pm

How? I don't like the mid 00's sound.

Because you secretly like American Idiot.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/03/17 at 6:36 pm

Because you secretly like American Idiot.

Ok...?

Written By: 2001 on 01/03/17 at 6:38 pm

At least learn to love post-scene ;D it sounds kind of mid-90s.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 01/03/17 at 6:40 pm

Most 2000-2004 songs sound a bit like the 90s as well.

Ok...?

Admit it.

You love Green Day, especially their 2000s albums, don't ya Jordan?

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/GvtDfJJc1GQ/hqdefault.jpg

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/03/17 at 6:43 pm

How does Post-Scene sound mid-90's? The only band I can think of that kinda resembles the mid 90's would be Joyce Manor but the Fall Out Boy influence is still dominant. The big bands right now like Four Year Strong, Story So Far, current post-2014 sucky Head Injuries, State Champs, 5 Seconds of Summer, etc. sound 2005-ish. Post-Scene is just as bad as actual Scene! Kinda like how Pearl Jam and Creed are both equally as terrible. 8-P

2000-2002 songs don't sound 90's but they, for the most part, don't sound entirely 00's either. 2003 and 2004 are a different story.

Admit it.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/GvtDfJJc1GQ/hqdefault.jpg

It'd be different if that was actually a funny joke but to make it even worse you've gotta throw in that obnoxious Sponge-Bob into it.

I love old Green Day. They'll always be one of the best in my mind.

Written By: 2001 on 01/03/17 at 6:44 pm

Admit it.

Stop trolling lol.

Written By: 2001 on 01/03/17 at 6:55 pm

How does Post-Scene sound mid-90's? The only band I can think of that kinda resembles the mid 90's would be Joyce Manor but the Fall Out Boy influence is still dominant. The big bands right now like Four Year Strong, Story So Far, current post-2014 sucky Head Injuries, State Champs, 5 Seconds of Summer, etc. sound 2005-ish. Post-Scene is just as bad as actual Scene! Kinda like how Pearl Jam and Creed are both equally as terrible. 8-P

What is "Fall Out Boy influence"? >:( they sound nothing like From Under the Cork Tree or Infinity on High Fall Out Boy.

Story So Far ain't bad neither, I like their song Stalemate ;D

Does your hate know no bounds >:(

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/03/17 at 7:01 pm

What is "Fall Out Boy influence"? >:( they sound nothing like From Under the Cork Tree or Infinity on High Fall Out Boy.

Story So Far ain't bad neither, I like their song Stalemate ;D

Does your hate know no bounds >:(

They totally do. Their singer has that sh!tty girly whiny voice that all those bands had back in 2005. Story So Far sounds like Paramore if they were angrier faster and fronted by a man with a whiny girl's voice. He does that crappy Emo yarl, too. Only difference is his voice is a lot deeper than other bands. "DIS QUIIKKKSANNNN ITT PULLLZZ MEE YYUNNNNDDAAARRRR" Yuck! It's time for a new Better Luck Next Time album and for Head Injuries to return to their early sound and stop playing that Fall Out Boy crap. No more Boardside, no more Wonder Years, no more 2005.

Bounds? What's that?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 01/03/17 at 7:22 pm

2000-2002 songs don't sound 90's but they, for the most part, don't sound entirely 00's either. 2003 and 2004 are a different story.

Same with songs from 1998 and 1999, except people actually put them up as 90s songs.

It'd be different if that was actually a funny joke but to make it even worse you've gotta throw in that obnoxious Sponge-Bob into it.

Even though he was big since the early 2000s, which is your favorite era.

I love old Green Day. They'll always be one of the best in my mind.

Old Green Day = 1986-2007 (the last time they were good was when they made a cameo on The Simpsons Movie)

Written By: 2001 on 01/03/17 at 7:30 pm

They totally do. Their singer has that sh!tty girly whiny voice that all those bands had back in 2005. Story So Far sounds like Paramore if they were angrier faster and fronted by a man with a whiny girl's voice. He does that crappy Emo yarl, too. Only difference is his voice is a lot deeper than other bands. "DIS QUIIKKKSANNNN ITT PULLLZZ MEE YYUNNNNDDAAARRRR" Yuck! It's time for a new Better Luck Next Time album and for Head Injuries to return to their early sound and stop playing that Fall Out Boy crap. No more Boardside, no more Wonder Years, no more 2005.

Bounds? What's that?

jhjanckwinfksjjwocnnw Not a pop punk fan complaining about other people's voices!! You can't call Joyce Manor girly and then listen to New Found Glory and Simple Plan like their balls didn't just drop. BRUH pls.  >:(

And now hating on Broadside smh >:(

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/03/17 at 7:41 pm

Same with songs from 1998 and 1999, except people actually put them up as 90s songs.

Sure.

Even though he was big since the early 2000s, which is your favorite era.

1. Dude, I already graduated high school by then, why would I care about lame kids cartoons like Sponge-Bob? I was watching shows like Malcolm in the Middle and Just Shoot Me back then.

2. I never said that.

1983/1984-1995 is the late 20th century era. A lot more modern than the years before it but definitely very old school. Many technological advancements make this time period a lot more convenient (i.e. the walkman, VCR's, portable camcorders personal computers, cable TV, microwaves, music videos) while still retaining an older feel (predominant use of analog tape, internet still very niche). Fashion during this time also had a lot of freedom and variety. Things were very unrestricted, loose fitting and casual compared to the decades before it. The quality was better too as brands still made their stuff in America. The cuts and fits really didn't change much from the 80's to the 90's; only the designs/colors did, in my opinion. Popular movies consisted of teen comedies (Sixteen Candles, Ferris Bueller, Clueless), stoner comedies (Bill and Ted, Dumb and Dumber, Encino Man), big action movies (Terminator 1&2, Aliens, True Lies, Die Hard) and Spielberg-inspired for-the-whole-family movies (Gremlins, Jumanji The Goonies). Music exploded and it was the greatest thing ever. Punk Rock, Heavy Metal, Hip Hop, Alt. Rock, Pop and many other genres all went through big changes; the whole era was a wasteland of culture and creativity in the music world. Music videos defined this time, too. When Michael Jackson's amazing Thriller videos were released and right before MTV went to crap with their reality shows, you had to have good music videos if you wanted success. It was absolutely important during this time. While of course the mid-late 80's + early-mid 90's were fairly different time periods that went through many changes (and some really, really big ones like the end of the Cold War), I'd say I could consider a good chunk of both decades to be one greater era in terms of way of life. This is my favorite era of all time.

Old Green Day = 1986-2007 (the last time they were good was when they made a cameo on The Simpsons Movie)

Old Green Day is 1986-2002, pre-American Idiot times. Current Green Day began in 2003.

jhjanckwinfksjjwocnnw Not a pop punk fan complaining about other people's voices!! You can't call Joyce Manor girly and then listen to New Found Glory and Simple Plan like their balls didn't just drop. BRUH pls.  >:(

And now hating on Broadside smh >:(

At least old school NFG and Simple Plan are men's bands. Broadside are the worst! I dunno why anyone would wanna listen to them. 8-P

Written By: 2001 on 01/03/17 at 7:46 pm

At least old school NFG and Simple Plan are men's bands. Broadside are the worst! I dunno why anyone would wanna listen to them. 8-P

Yeah, like Axe are men's deodorant. Joyce Manor are like Dove. Everything thinks they're girly but they make the best men's deodorant.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/03/17 at 7:51 pm

Yeah, like Axe are men's deodorant. Joyce Manor are like Dove. Everything thinks they're girly but they make the best men's deodorant.
Do you use what's in the bold?

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/03/17 at 7:52 pm

I use Old Spice because that's what my wife likes. I used to have this bad habit of not wearing any but she kept throwing the couch pillows at me every time I came near so I had to buy something. :-

He uses Secret.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 01/03/17 at 7:56 pm

1. Dude, I already graduated high school by then, why would I care about lame kids cartoons like Sponge-Bob? I was watching shows like Malcolm in the Middle and Just Shoot Me back then.

Says the person who watched Cartoon Network back in the early 2000s.  ;D

Old Green Day is 1986-2002, pre-American Idiot times. Current Green Day began in 2003.

Current Green Day didn't exist until they were shown on The Simpsons Movie.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/03/17 at 7:57 pm

As for the question, no it's not because you're getting older. You can be 30, 40, and even 50 and enjoy the present. I know how you feel though. This decade has just been rough. Too many unnecessary attacks, the atmosphere and the sluggish recovery of the Great Recession makes this period a nightmare! Hopefully we end on a good note.

I use Old Spice because that's what my wife likes.

He uses Secret.
Oh niceI I use OS too!

Secret, like secret clinical?

Written By: 2001 on 01/03/17 at 8:02 pm

I do when I can (Dove Care Comfort). It's pretty expensive though. I got like 10 sticks of Old Spice for free from university in 2014 and that's what I still use ;D

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/03/17 at 8:05 pm

WTF are you talking about? Unless I was taking care of my younger cousins I didn't watch it regularly.

Current Green Day didn't exist until they were shown on The Simpsons Movie.

I think the release of American Idiot was a lot more impactful on their career than a short cameo... 

Oh niceI I use OS too!

Old Spice and Arms and Legs! The best brands! Speed Stick is good, too.

Secret like the girly scents. ;D

Written By: 2001 on 01/03/17 at 8:08 pm

I use Old Spice because that's what my wife likes. I used to have this bad habit of not wearing any but she kept throwing the couch pillows at me every time I came near so I had to buy something. :-[ Thems and Arms and Legs are good. And holy sh!t, she looks over my shoulder to see what I'm typing and you know what she does? Throws a god damn pillow at me! Never a moment in my life when a girl isn't throwing something at me (except their underwear, that never happens... :-\\).

Classic Pop Punk = good deodorant like Arms and Legs and the 80's Gatorade sticks they used to have

Joyce Manor = dollar store deodorant

He uses Secret.

LOL Classic Pop Punk is like no deodorant and 5 blade Gillette. 2010s Indie rock is like a single blade razor, peak manly.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/03/17 at 8:10 pm

LOL Classic Pop Punk is like no deodorant and 5 blade Gillette. 2010s Indie rock is like a single blade razor, peak manly.

For your information I shave with a straight edge razor thank you very much.

Written By: 2001 on 01/03/17 at 8:12 pm

That's what I said.  >:(

2010s indie usually have manly beards anyway.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 01/03/17 at 8:12 pm

WTF are you talking about? Unless I was taking care of my younger cousins I didn't watch it regularly.

You had Johnny Bravo memes on some of your posts though.

I think the release of American Idiot was a lot more impactful on their career than a short cameo... 

American Idiot was still an impact towards society when it was released.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/03/17 at 8:18 pm

That's what I said.  >:(

2010s indie usually have manly beards anyway.

No it isn't. You said Gillette 5 blades. >:(

2010s indie have tight skinny pants and bad tattoos. You guys aren't manly like us Pop Punkers in our 90's prime. The Offspring were tough, Green Day were street smart, Bad Religion were witty and NoFX did tons of drugs.

You had Johnny Bravo memes on some of your posts though.

So? I post Jackie Chan memes but I don't watch much of his movies nor did I vote Trump even though I post a lot of his memes, too. It's not like I sat there and watched a bunch of Cartoon Network in the early 00's because I liked some Johnny Bravo moments. Most cartoons I watched were from the 60's, anyway. Flintstones, Looney Tunes, Yogi Bear, etc.

My god... I said American Idiot, which was a big revival and huge overhaul of their image, had a bigger impact in respect to their career than a short silly little cameo in the Simpson's movie so it only makes sense to start the new era in 2003 when they started recording the thing.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/03/17 at 8:33 pm

I guess I don't have the presents of mind.  ;D

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 01/04/17 at 2:11 am

I wouldn't really say that it had a big impact on society, as a whole. It was a very successful album and it charted in many countries around the world, however I think it only had a resounding impact on the demographic it was largely targeted at; the adolescents/young adults of the time. I agree with JordanK1982 in this instance; Green Day were simply trying to revitalise their career, by attempting to appeal to a new demographic (which they managed to achieve). American Idiot is very much a product of it's time.

Written By: BornIn86 on 01/04/17 at 3:11 am

Man, I member watching Cartoon Network when it was nothing but Hanna-Barbera cartoons. Then Powerpuff Girls and Ed, Eddy n Eddy came on and the channel started changing a lot. I officially joined the CN bandwagon when they came out with Adult Swim. AS was the sheesh during the 2000s. Most importantly, one of my favorite artists, Flying Lotus rose to indie fame because of 2000s Adult Swim.

Maybe the 2000s didn't suck as much as I thought.

Written By: Zelek3 on 01/04/17 at 3:22 am

Man, I member watching Cartoon Network when it was nothing but Hanna-Barbera cartoons. Then Powerpuff Girls and Ed, Eddy n Eddy came on and the channel started changing a lot. I officially joined the CN bandwagon when they came out with Adult Swim. AS was the sheesh during the 2000s. Most importantly, one of my favorite artists, Flying Lotus rose to indie fame because of 2000s Adult Swim.

Maybe the 2000s didn't suck as much as I thought.

CN was great in the 00s from 2000-2003, acceptable from 2004-2006, then it sucked from 2007-2009. But it made a comeback in 2010, but since 2014 it's been going down again somewhat.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 01/04/17 at 5:46 am

I wouldn't really say that it had a big impact on society, as a whole. It was a very successful album and it charted in many countries around the world, however I think it only had a resounding impact on the demographic it was largely targeted at; the adolescents/young adults of the time. I agree with JordanK1982 in this instance; Green Day were simply trying to revitalise their career, by attempting to appeal to a new demographic (which they managed to achieve). American Idiot is very much a product of it's time.

Oh.  :-\\

No wonder why mid-late 80s babies bought the album.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 01/04/17 at 6:07 am

Yep. It's interesting to watch their music videos from the time as well. Green Day were trying to go for the "emo" look, which as you know, was really popular in the Mid 2000s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ee_uujKuJMI

Written By: SpyroKev on 01/04/17 at 8:00 am

As for the question, no it's not because you're getting older. You can be 30, 40, and even 50 and enjoy the present. I know how you feel though. This decade has just been rough. Too many unnecessary attacks, the atmosphere and the sluggish recovery of the Great Recession makes this period a nightmare! Hopefully we end on a good note.

But most of the time, it is because of age. You can continue to like new music as long as your interest allows it. People that dislike todays music is based on comfort of music their nostalgic for. I know I wouldn't have the motivation to download 1000s of songs.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/04/17 at 10:22 am

This. Thank you. That's what I keep telling him; American Idiot was very centered on it's demographic of young teens. While it was a big success, it never past that point. Dookie, on the other hand, may have also been focused on the teens of the time but with it's quality pop songwriting it gained itself universal appeal to transcend those boundaries and the sales show for it.

Those are the exact same points I've been trying to tell you...

Written By: 2001 on 01/04/17 at 11:07 am

No it isn't. You said Gillette 5 blades. >:(

2010s indie have tight skinny pants and bad tattoos. You guys aren't manly like us Pop Punkers in our 90's prime. The Offspring were tough, Green Day were street smart, Bad Religion were witty and NoFX did tons of drugs.

Yeah single blade razor = straight edge razor, same thing.

Skinny jeans accentuate manly thighs. The Offspring were old, Green Day had bad hair, idk about Bad Religion and drugs are bad mmkay.

2010s indie address the important issues facing our society today.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/04/17 at 11:14 am

Yeah single blade razor = straight edge razor, same thing.

Skinny jeans accentuate manly thighs. The Offspring were old, Green Day had bad hair, idk about Bad Religion and drugs are bad mmkay.

2010s indie address the important issues facing our society today.

But men use the proper term. 8)

Skinny jeans make others think you're wearing your little sisters jeans. ::) The Offspring chewed nails on a bad day (or even a good day! :o), Green Day knew all the bad neighborhoods you're not supposed to drive down, Bad Religion knew all the words to Noam Chomsky's Necessary Illusions and NoFX could make crack pipes of out Coke Cans.

2010s indie tries it's best to badly imitate Adele with Emo yarls.

Written By: Howard on 01/04/17 at 3:39 pm

Old Spice and Arms and Legs! The best brands! Speed Stick is good, too.

Secret like the girly scents. ;D

What about brand of cologne?

Written By: Howard on 01/04/17 at 3:40 pm

I shave with disposable razors.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/04/17 at 5:07 pm

I shave with disposable razors.

But Howard! I thought a tough guy like you would shave with glass. 8)

Written By: Howard on 01/05/17 at 2:48 pm

I'm not that tough. ::)

Written By: 2001 on 01/05/17 at 4:56 pm

People usually get happier as they get older, and this is more true for people who had a rougher youth. https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/age-brings-happiness/

Written By: 80sfan on 01/05/17 at 5:08 pm

Whoa! You're aggressive! You're tough! Like you have a hardcore edge!  8)  8)  8)

Written By: 80sfan on 01/05/17 at 5:09 pm

People usually get happier as they get older, and this is more true for people who had a rougher youth. https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/age-brings-happiness/

Phew! It's good news for my imaginary twin!

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/05/17 at 6:06 pm

But most of the time, it is because of age. You can continue to like new music as long as your interest allows it. People that dislike todays music is based on comfort of music their nostalgic for. I know I wouldn't have the motivation to download 1000s of songs.
Not really. In fact, I made two threads about this a few years ago.

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=50514.0

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=50516.0

That's true, but the opposite can also happen.

Written By: 2001 on 01/05/17 at 6:24 pm

That's true, but the opposite can also happen.

Hence "usually" ;D

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/05/17 at 6:45 pm

Hence "usually" ;D
I know ;)

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/05/17 at 10:03 pm

Whoa! You're aggressive! You're tough! Like you have a hardcore edge!  8)  8)  8)

I am pretty tough, aren't I. 8)

I'm not that tough. ::)

I've seen you eat rocks for breakfast. Pretty tough, Howard. ;)

Written By: 2001 on 01/05/17 at 10:46 pm

I ate Bran Flakes for cereal once upon a time. It's what the tough prisoners eat!

Written By: BornIn86 on 01/05/17 at 10:52 pm

But men use the proper term. 8)

Skinny jeans make others think you're wearing your little sisters jeans. ::) The Offspring chewed nails on a bad day (or even a good day! :o), Green Day knew all the bad neighborhoods you're not supposed to drive down, Bad Religion knew all the words to Noam Chomsky's Necessary Illusions and NoFX could make crack pipes of out Coke Cans.

2010s indie tries it's best to badly imitate Adele with Emo yarls.

2000s-Early 2010s indie was so good. I think it all feel apart in 2013 and never regained its footing.

Written By: 2001 on 01/05/17 at 10:55 pm

2000s-Early 2010s indie was so good. I think it all feel apart in 2013 and never regained its footing.

I spent all of work and two hours today laying on the couch listening to indie rock (mostly from 2016) :o

Written By: BornIn86 on 01/05/17 at 11:43 pm

I spent all of work and two hours today laying on the couch listening to indie rock (mostly from 2016) :o

I'd be grateful if you gave me some good indie rock from 2016. It's always possible I missed some. My favorite indie rock album You Forgot It in People was released in 2002 and my favorite indie rap album Madvillainy was released in 2004. 2001-2005 were my high school years. I felt pretty alienated from most of pop and even a lot indie culture. I became obsessed with both of those bands in 2009. You never know everything that's going on.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/06/17 at 12:56 am

I ate Bran Flakes for cereal once upon a time. It's what the tough prisoners eat!

I bet your favorite cereal is All Bran. Perfect for wimps. ::)

Written By: Howard on 01/06/17 at 7:50 am

I feel more content in my older age.

Written By: Howard on 01/06/17 at 7:52 am

I ate eggs and my normal cup of coffee for breakfast.

Written By: Howard on 01/06/17 at 7:53 am

My favorite cereal used to be Frosted Flakes.

Written By: 2001 on 01/06/17 at 11:03 am

I'd be grateful if you gave me some good indie rock from 2016. It's always possible I missed some. My favorite indie rock album You Forgot It in People was released in 2002 and my favorite indie rap album Madvillainy was released in 2004. 2001-2005 were my high school years. I felt pretty alienated from most of pop and even a lot indie culture. I became obsessed with both of those bands in 2009. You never know everything that's going on.

I'll have to give You Forgot It In People a listen. I've never heard any indie rap before :o

I mostly just listen to Indie rock for work/concentration and to put myself in a relaxed mood, but I think these songs are pretty cool no matter your mood.

(music starts at 3:00)
Bimd2nZirT4

(don't watch the video, just listen to the song lol)
1VLuUnKSJno

Written By: 2001 on 01/06/17 at 11:06 am

Oh sh*t I typo'd, I meant All-Bran! The one with a million grams of fibre, tastes like sorrow and makes you poop 4 times a day. I ate it for like all of 2014. Tough times.

Nowadays I get an assortment of fruit, Turkish coffee or freshly squeezed fruit juice and French toast from a salad bar because I can't remove the hipster DNA in me but I also like sugar.

Hey at least I don't drink almond milk like my brother. Now that's some hipster sh*t.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/06/17 at 11:45 am

Oh sh*t I typo'd, I meant All-Bran! The one with a million grams of fibre, tastes like sorrow and makes you poop 4 times a day. I ate it for like all of 2014. Tough times.

Nowadays I get an assortment of fruit, Turkish coffee or freshly squeezed fruit juice and French toast from a salad bar because I can't remove the hipster DNA in me but I also like sugar.

Hey at least I don't drink almond milk like my brother. Now that's some hipster sh*t.

Sad! Mess! You know what cereal I eat? Honey Nut Cheerios, the toughest cereal you can buy.

I ate eggs and my normal cup of coffee for breakfast.

Raw eggs and a glass of glass for Howard. 2 tuff! 8)

Written By: 2001 on 01/06/17 at 1:11 pm

Sad! Mess! You know what cereal I eat? Honey Nut Cheerios, the toughest cereal you can buy.

I was a Nesquik with chocolate milk kind of kid. They had the best toys! Did your cereal come with a Rollercoaster Tycoon CD? Didn't think so.

Written By: Howard on 01/06/17 at 4:18 pm

Didn't you use to grow up with sugared cereals? ???

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/06/17 at 10:06 pm

Didn't you use to grow up with sugared cereals? ???

I still eat sugary cereals. 8)

I was a Nesquik with chocolate milk kind of kid. They had the best toys! Did your cereal come with a Rollercoaster Tycoon CD? Didn't think so.

No, my cereals are #MAGABrother #GodEmperor so they usually came with copies of Donald Trump's Real Estate Tycoon CD. Gamin' with the president. 8)

Written By: Howard on 01/07/17 at 7:08 am

I still eat sugary cereals. 8)

No, my cereals are #MAGABrother #GodEmperor so they usually came with copies of Donald Trump's Real Estate Tycoon CD. Gamin' with the president. 8)

What are your favorite sugared cereal?

Written By: SpyroKev on 01/07/17 at 11:15 am

I still hold my quote though. At least some people stick with music they knew for a long time. I'm in the list.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/08/17 at 10:33 am

I still hold my quote though. At least some people stick with music they knew for a long time. I'm in the list.
I understand that, but I was just saying that most people DO and CAN like other generation's pop culture despite growing up with their own. Have you checked those two threads I listed? 

Written By: tv on 01/08/17 at 7:14 pm

Honestly I think it's a mixture of both you getting older and pop culture being pretty stagnant. Generally speaking people are at the 'prime' of their youth between the ages of 9 (when you start your tweens, i.e. using something that's relatable to your age, tweets in the 90's being into The Spice Girls or Hanson) through age 24 or so (ie mid 20 something's in the early 10's being into club music like Flo Rida or Pitbull). It peaks somewhere around age 16, or around your Junior year of high school which for you would be (assuming you were born in 87') during the 2003-2004 school year. That was over 10 years ago and the pop culture at the time was dramatically different from today. Artists like Britney Spears, Justin Timberlake, 50 Cent, among others were in their prime back then. These days, most teens would find those artists as 'old school' or 'before their time'.

So it's not surprising for you to be nostalgic of the past. You mentioned you stopped enjoying pop culture when you was 26, well that makes sense from both a biological and cultural standpoint. As I've learned in school via classes like Health science & Pschology, you officially become an adult mentally & physically around age 25 or so. 11-18 is your adolescence period, while ages 18-25 is your Emerging Adulthood period.

Now with that said, there really is no objective way to claim that pop culture is better or worst in a certain time period. You may subjectively feel that pop culture today sucks (as a lot of people on this forum do, so you're not alone on that front), but somehow somewhere there's someone who's 15 or 16 who's enjoying the heck out of their new The Weeknd album, Starboy. Now with that said there's certain trends in which things have either stagnated or have seem to have lost much variety. I agree that pop music (as in Top 40 music) objectively currently has ess variety than 10-20 years ago. Back then you had pop, rap/hip hop, & alternative having an equal amount of presence within pop music. Now it's only rap/hip hop, or some kind of hybrid between pop, rap, & EDM that gets any major exposure. However, that doesn't mean that the quality of the music being played today is worst, just something I need to stress, it's based on your particular tastes in music & such.

Um let me break this down by the last 3 decades in the year ending with "6" I guess.

1996-Yes there was a lot of variety in music(alternative, R&B, rap music, and Euro-Dance.)

2006-Ringtone Rap and the start of Electro-Dance(Cascada, Rihanna, and Nelly Furtado.) We also had  R&B like Keyshia Cole(remember her?), Trey Songz(when he was still good) and Ne-Yo was getting his start then too.

2016-EDM with a little rap music thrown in there.

Written By: Brian06 on 01/08/17 at 7:15 pm

Oh niceI I use OS too!

Oh I know that. This topic really wasn't about pop culture anyway per se. You can enjoy some pop culture at any age of course. I know I can still enjoy pop culture even if I'm about to be over 30. It's more about the ignorance of youth fading. As an adult I think you're much more aware of the bad things is more what I'm saying. Sure I still like some pop culture but it's doesn't help that much to distract from the ugliness of the sociopolitical situation of today either. And I think it's a lot uglier today than when I was 15 or 20.

Written By: tv on 01/08/17 at 7:18 pm

It's a combination.  Most people tend to like mainstream music less once they get to their late twenties but it isn't always the case.

I know people in their early 20s today who hate today's Top 40 just as much as I do.  I would say my best years for Top 40 were 2007 through about 2011, which covered most of my early into my mid 20s. I think today's music just doesn't appeal to people above their mid-late teens.

I think the age you stop liking mainstream music is determined by when the style you liked as a teenager falls out of favor as well as how well you adapt to the modern sound.  For me, that happened in 2013 and I just can't get into today's EDM teen pop.  It will be interesting to see how my opinion of modern music changes once this teen pop era runs its course. I can only imagine how teens of the '80s felt once we got to around 1998 or 1999 and *NSync and the Backstreet Boys were dominant.
Todays music is aimed at ages 13-16 in my opinion.

Teens from the 80's I don't think actually minded N'Sync and The Backstreet Boys what they hated was 90's Grunge and Gangsta Rap which was a backlash against the 80's.

Written By: Brian06 on 01/08/17 at 7:36 pm

It's scary how people BORN in 2003 are starting high school later this year I think, it's hard to even keep up with anymore LOL. It's hard for me to even imagine that there are people out there that are that young. I guess that's how it gets as time passes. I can't even imagine how I'm gonna feel when people that young are old enough to drink, etc.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/08/17 at 7:42 pm

Todays music is aimed at ages 13-16 in my opinion.

Teens from the 80's I don't think actually minded N'Sync and The Backstreet Boys what they hated was 90's Grunge and Gangsta Rap which was a backlash against the 80's.

But at least that stuff was also around in the 80's.

Written By: tv on 01/08/17 at 8:06 pm

But at least that stuff was also around in the 80's.
Well 1988 and 1989 layed the groundwork for Grunge with songs "The Mountain Song" by Jane's Addiction, "Cult Of Personality" by "Living Colour", and "Head Like A Hole" by "Nine Inch Nails".

As far Gangsta the rap group "NWA" debut in 1989 with an album.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/08/17 at 8:24 pm

Well 1988 and 1989 layed the groundwork for Grunge with songs "The Mountain Song" by Jane's Addiction, "Cult Of Personality" by "Living Colour", and "Head Like A Hole" by "Nine Inch Nails".

Green River, the first grunge band, formed in 1984 and released their first EP in 1985. Way before Janes Addiction and Living Color. Other bands like The Melvins and Soundgarden were also around in the 80's, too appearing on compilations and releasing records during 1985-1989. Grunge was already a full fledged thing in the 80's.

NWA's first EP was 1987 and Straight Outta Compton was 1988 but Gangsta Rap first started in 1985 with Schoolly D's debut.

Written By: tv on 01/08/17 at 8:37 pm

Green River, the first grunge band, formed in 1984 and released their first EP in 1985. Way before Janes Addiction and Living Color. Other bands like The Melvins and Soundgarden were also around in the 80's, too appearing on compilations and releasing records during 1985-1989. Grunge was already a full fledged thing in the 80's.

Gangsta Rap started in 1985 with Schoolly D's debut.
Yeah but Soundgarden wasn't a household name till "Badmotorfinger" was released in 1991. Yes I know about "The Melvins" and I have heard of "Green River" but Grunge didn't make it mainstream till "Smells Like Teen Spirit" by Nirvana was a hit in 1991/1992. I do think those 3 songs above("The Mountain Song", "Cult of Personality", and "Head Like A Hole") did pave the way for Grunge being popular in addition to "Epic" by "Faith No More" which was a hit in 1990.

Yes Schoolly D is marked as one of the trend starters of Gangsta Rap but NWA did make Gangsta Rap popular. I do think "Public Enemy" could be credited as one of the trend starters for Gangsta Rap to be popular but they were more of a "political rap group" if you will.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/08/17 at 8:48 pm

Yeah but Soundgarden wasn't a household name till "Badmotorfinger" was released in 1991. Yes I know about "The Melvins" and I have heard of "Green River" but Grunge didn't make it mainstream till "Smells Like Teen Spirit" by Nirvana was a hit in 1991/1992. I do think those 3 songs above("The Mountain Song", "Cult of Personality", and "Head Like A Hole") did pave the way for Grunge being popular in addition to "Epic" by "Faith No More" which was a hit in 1990.

Yes Schoolly D is marked as one of the trend starters of Gangsta Rap but NWA did make Gangsta Rap popular. I do think "Public Enemy" could be credited as one of the trend starters for Gangsta Rap to be popular but they were more of a "political rap group" if you will.

REM had radio hits all throughout the 80's starting with 1983's Radio Free Europe. They and other bands like Husker Du also had a lot of airtime on MTV with their videos.

Ice-T had his gangsta rap debut, Rhyme Pays, in 1987. So did Boogie Down Productions with Criminal Minded.

I don't think grunge or gangsta rap would be big shockers at all to 80's teens since the genres had a fair presence all though the decade.

Written By: Howard on 01/09/17 at 3:05 pm

don't forget Tone Loc and Young MC.

Written By: tv on 01/14/17 at 1:52 pm

don't forget Tone Loc and Young MC.
Well Tone Loc and Young MC were party-dance rap but Rap in 1989 was still in that dance-party rap stage. I think the 1992-1993 school year was the last school year of party-dance rap for that era anyway(80's/early 90's.) There was still stuff in 1993 that echoed dance-party rap like "Hip-Hop Hooray" by "Naughty by Nature" which was huge and a song like "Boom, Boom Shake The Room" by Jazzy Jeff and The Fresh Prince" (#13 Hot 100.) By the 1993-1994 School year it was stuff like Biggie and Tupac that was popular I think and pretty much finished off the 80's/early 90's rappers careers like a rapper like Big Daddy Kane couldn't get any work in the music industry in 1994. Nas's classic album "Illmatic" album also came out in 1994.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/15/17 at 9:41 pm

Oh I know that. This topic really wasn't about pop culture anyway per se. You can enjoy some pop culture at any age of course. I know I can still enjoy pop culture even if I'm about to be over 30. It's more about the ignorance of youth fading. As an adult I think you're much more aware of the bad things is more what I'm saying. Sure I still like some pop culture but it's doesn't help that much to distract from the ugliness of the sociopolitical situation of today either. And I think it's a lot uglier today than when I was 15 or 20.
Oh yeah, I understand; however, I did agree with you that today is an uglier time due to all of the terrible that have occurred. Sooner or later though, it will get better since much hasn't happened since the new year began.

It's scary how people BORN in 2003 are starting high school later this year I think, it's hard to even keep up with anymore LOL. It's hard for me to even imagine that there are people out there that are that young. I guess that's how it gets as time passes. I can't even imagine how I'm gonna feel when people that young are old enough to drink, etc.
If you think that's scary, think about how in 10 years, there will be people under 30 by then who won't remember a time before the millennium. Moreover, all the current social media sites (except Snapchat) will either be 20 and over or close to it by then as well.

Written By: Brian06 on 01/15/17 at 11:48 pm

Oh yeah, I understand; however, I did agree with you that today is an uglier time due to all of the terrible that have occurred. Sooner or later though, it will get better since much hasn't happened since the new year began.
If you think that's scary, think about how in 10 years, there will be people under 30 by then who won't remember a time before the millennium. Moreover, all the current social media sites (except Snapchat) will either be 20 and over or close to it by then as well.

Yeah one thing about getting older I think is you don't really realize it until you think back to a while in the past and realize oh I was quite a bit a younger then, it's not like you can pinpoint any one specific moment as time is just this gradual progression that drags on. I think back to 2005 and being 18 and thinking that was a big deal now I look at 18 year olds they seem so very young. It gets hard to even imagine that people under 18/21 actually even exist. The 40 year olds who you thought were older when you were a teen now seem pretty darn young still to you at 30. I think back to 1997 and how I was just little then, realize I was a small 9-10 year old child, and realize I was that little then and now am turning 30 then the passage of time sinks in a bit. I used to bundle all senior citizens together too but now I can tell a huge difference between say a 75 year old and a 95 year old. Huge difference, 75 is certainly "getting up there" but not really that old and generally still independent and in decent shape, while 95 is undoubtedly very old and you're fortunate to make it there. It's really all a gradual process and I no longer think there's really a magic age where you are young or old, though that's the scary thing really that it's so gradual that you can't really point down an exact point, yet you're still constantly aging. My perspectives have definitely changed a lot.

Check for new replies or respond here...