inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When will mid '10s teen pop fade?

Written By: bchris02 on 01/02/17 at 4:00 pm

How much longer do you think this current Top 40 cycle, in which the likes of Ariana Grande and all of her copycats, new Taylor Swift, etc dominate mainstream music, will last?  This sound has been pretty much dominant since 2013.  It seemed to drop off a bit in late 2015 into early 2016 (Ariana Grande's "Focus" wasn't near as well received as her earlier stuff) only to come back strong in the second half of 2016.

My guess is we should start seeing some changes within the next year or two.

Subject: Re: When will mid '10s teen pop fade?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 01/02/17 at 4:02 pm

We've just got in 2017. Maybe wait for a while. Perhaps it would end around late 2017 or early 2018.

Written By: #Infinity on 01/02/17 at 4:56 pm

I love how you always mention Ariana Grande whenever you lament about how bad today's music has become. Personally, I think the singles from her first two albums were decent enough, but then I heard "Dangerous Woman," and I recognized just how lame she could get.

In all frankness, I lost all faith in popular music when Taylor Swift won Album of the Year with her record that tarnished the image of, in my opinion, the best year for popular culture overall. It doesn't help that Radiohead and David Bowie failed to earn nominations for the upcoming award, yet Justin Bieber and Drake did make the cut.

Written By: Zelek3 on 01/02/17 at 7:40 pm

Never

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/02/17 at 8:02 pm

Who knows what wonders the Donald era will bring us...

Written By: Baltimoreian on 01/02/17 at 9:04 pm

Never

lol

If that actually happens, then we're stuck in hell.

Who knows what wonders the Donald era will bring us...

He'll probably cause outcries within a lot of liberals (and some conservatives), since he wasn't a great candidate to start with.

Written By: BornIn86 on 01/02/17 at 9:54 pm

lol

If that actually happens, then we're stuck in hell.

He'll probably cause outcries within a lot of liberals (and some conservatives), since he wasn't a great candidate to start with.

My body is ready for ridiculousness. I voted against him and would again but Trump's presidency is what this decade needs. I just hope it doesn't end with me homeless or cannibalizing in a nuclear winter.

Written By: 2001 on 01/02/17 at 10:04 pm

How f*cking dare anyone out there make fun of Ariana after all she has been through.!

She lost her voice, she went through a donut scandal. She had two f*ckin kids.

Her husband turned out to be a user, a cheater, and now she's going through a custody battle. All you people care about is readers and making money off of her.

SHE'S A HUMAN! What you don't realize is that Ariana is making you all this money and all you do is write a bunch of crap about her.

She hasn't performed on stage in years. Her song is called "Into You" for a reason because all you people care about is YOU! YOI, YOU, YOU!.

LEAVE HER ALONE! You are lucky she even performed for you BASTARDS!
LEAVE ARIANA ALONE!..Please.

Perez Hilton talked about professionalism and said if Ariana was a professional she would've pulled it off no matter what.

Speaking of professionalism, when is it professional to publicly bash someone who is going through a hard time.

Leave Ariana Alone Please
Leave Ariana Grande alone! right now! I mean it!

Anyone that has a problem with her you deal with me, because she is not well right now.

LEAVE HER ALONE!

A Chris Crocker 10th Anniversary Production.

Written By: 2001 on 01/02/17 at 10:24 pm

Seriously though, Into You is one of my favourite songs to drive to while I'm speeding on the highway... I should stop listening to party songs while driving  :-X Slay to Slay... *Side to Side is also pretty decent, except of course the millionth unnecessary random rap cameo with Nicki Minaj. Dangerous Woman is the only recent bad song lol.

I like EDM generally, but it's obvious that it's on its last legs. Those two Chainsmokers songs were at the #1 position for 10 weeks straight each, I'd be surprised if there's anyone that's not tired of it, and craving for something new already. The music industry is ripe for change.

It doesn't help that all the EDM songs on the radio sound exactly like each other, I've even got my own Turing test for them

Fin

Written By: #Infinity on 01/03/17 at 12:53 am

How f*cking dare anyone out there make fun of Ariana after all she has been through.!

She lost her voice, she went through a donut scandal. She had two f*ckin kids.

Her husband turned out to be a user, a cheater, and now she's going through a custody battle. All you people care about is readers and making money off of her.

SHE'S A HUMAN! What you don't realize is that Ariana is making you all this money and all you do is write a bunch of crap about her.

She hasn't performed on stage in years. Her song is called "Into You" for a reason because all you people care about is YOU! YOI, YOU, YOU!.

LEAVE HER ALONE! You are lucky she even performed for you BASTARDS!
LEAVE ARIANA ALONE!..Please.

Perez Hilton talked about professionalism and said if Ariana was a professional she would've pulled it off no matter what.

Speaking of professionalism, when is it professional to publicly bash someone who is going through a hard time.

Leave Ariana Alone Please
Leave Ariana Grande alone! right now! I mean it!

Anyone that has a problem with her you deal with me, because she is not well right now.

LEAVE HER ALONE!

A Chris Crocker 10th Anniversary Production.

Considering the storm of celebrity woes she's been forced to endure, it's truly beautiful to see her mature and blossom as a musical artist. With every passing album, she's inching closer to recording the next Thriller, the next Like a Prayer, the next Purple Rain, or possibly even the next 1989. She is the Bach of a generation, the pinnacle of poetic and sonic accomplishment, having started from humble beginnings under the fierce grip of Nickelodeon and determinedly unraveled the scrappy playboy bunny superheroine she was destined to emerge. Odysseus is looking down from the heavens in awe at her rise to musical brilliance. The staircase of layers embedded in such masterpieces as "Side to Side" wittily chronicle the physical remorse and oscillating impulses that spontaneously ensnare millions of erotic adolescents during their rapturous episodes of bodily coalition.

Within a few generations, expect the Dangerous Woman album to be preserved not only in the National Library of Congress, but in museums across the globe, etched on school textbooks from kindergarten to Oxford, analyzed by political scientists in their ambitions to be the architects of a manmade Eden. It is a staple of everything music can be and what hundreds of millions of aspiring songwriters can only dream about.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 01/03/17 at 2:38 am

Personally, I believe the Early 2010s were more dominated by "teen pop".Granted, it's still really popular today, but in the Early 2010s, you had the start of Justin Bieber's career, Taylor Swift, Katy Perry, the formation of One Direction, 5 Seconds of Summer and "Call Me Maybe" by Carly Rae Jepson. The teen pop which is popular at the moment is just a continuation of the teen pop from earlier in the decade, in my opinion. It wouldn't surprise me if teen pop started to decline around Late 2017 or Early 2018.

Written By: 2001 on 01/03/17 at 9:29 am

Considering the storm of celebrity woes she's been forced to endure, it's truly beautiful to see her mature and blossom as a musical artist. With every passing album, she's inching closer to recording the next Thriller, the next Like a Prayer, the next Purple Rain, or possibly even the next 1989. She is the Bach of a generation, the pinnacle of poetic and sonic accomplishment, having started from humble beginnings under the fierce grip of Nickelodeon and determinedly unraveled the scrappy playboy bunny superheroine she was destined to emerge. Odysseus is looking down from the heavens in awe at her rise to musical brilliance. The staircase of layers embedded in such masterpieces as "Side to Side" wittily chronicle the physical remorse and oscillating impulses that spontaneously ensnare millions of erotic adolescents during their rapturous episodes of bodily coalition.

Within a few generations, expect the Dangerous Woman album to be preserved not only in the National Library of Congress, but in museums across the globe, etched on school textbooks from kindergarten to Oxford, analyzed by political scientists in their ambitions to be the architects of a manmade Eden. It is a staple of everything music can be and what hundreds of millions of aspiring songwriters can only dream about.

F*cking LOL. Poe's Law and all that with some of the Ariola fans I've seen ;D

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/03/17 at 10:33 am

She's no Pitbull, that's for sure.

Written By: bchris02 on 01/03/17 at 8:02 pm

You have to be joking...

Written By: #Infinity on 01/03/17 at 9:08 pm

You have to be joking...

Of course I am, but sadly there are probably a lot of people out there who agree with all that hot air I wrote.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/03/17 at 9:24 pm

I know some people that do-nut like Ariana Grande.  ;D  ;D

Written By: Baltimoreian on 01/03/17 at 9:42 pm

Of course I am, but sadly there are probably a lot of people out there who agree with all that hot air I wrote.

I can't believe they actually take her seriously. Her acting career is rather mediocre, but it's not like her music career is better.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/03/17 at 9:56 pm

You have to be joking...

I can't believe they actually take her seriously. Her acting career is rather mediocre, but it's not like her music career is better.
Honestly though, I like her first album especially since it's different from the rest. And nice joke MM.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/03/17 at 9:59 pm

To answer he question, it should be ending soon considering the vibe is transitioning from pretentious to machoness.

Written By: 2001 on 01/03/17 at 10:28 pm

Honestly though, I like her first album especially since it's different from the rest. And nice joke MM.

I really liked Popular Song. It matches my personality  :-X

I'm in Chris's burn book now  :-X

Written By: 80sfan on 01/03/17 at 10:44 pm

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/dc/ca/d4/dccad4e28a03741069c9a44962edc699.jpg

Written By: 2001 on 01/03/17 at 10:46 pm

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/ca/2b/67/ca2b67353e9249450a77d80074dac75c.png

Written By: 80sfan on 01/03/17 at 10:47 pm

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/ca/2b/67/ca2b67353e9249450a77d80074dac75c.png

Irrelevant to this thread, but Mean Girls looks outdated now. :.scary:.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/03/17 at 10:50 pm

I know! It still seems recent, but it's not. OTOH, the girls in the movie are so gorgeous! :D

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/03/17 at 10:52 pm

Naw, I don't think so. He shouldn't get mad over that.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/03/17 at 10:52 pm

I know! It still seems recent, but it's not. OTOH, the girls in the movie are so gorgeous! :D

You can tell it's from the mid-00's, 2006 at the latest. It's a movie released during Freshmen year of my high school era. So it's scary to see it outdated.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/03/17 at 10:54 pm

The late 10's pop will come, but we don't know what it will sound, or feel, like.  :P

Written By: 2001 on 01/03/17 at 10:55 pm

You can't make a movie like that in 2016. It's a really fascinating movie in that it's the very last high school movie to be set in the pre-social media era, releasing in 2004. In 2005, social media took off and high school changed forever and it will never look back.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/03/17 at 10:57 pm

You can tell it's from the mid-00's, 2006 at the latest. It's a movie released during Freshmen year of my high school era. So it's scary to see it outdated.

You can't make a movie like that in 2016. It's a really fascinating movie in that it's the very last high school movie to be set in the pre-social media era, releasing in 2004. In 2005, social media took off and high school changed forever and it will never look back.

Agreed! And it captures the 2000s vibe very well. That movie is iconic even if it was targeted towards women.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/03/17 at 10:58 pm

I don't see rock dominating soon, but I could be totally wrong.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/03/17 at 11:07 pm

I don't see rock dominating soon, but I could be totally wrong.
Well due to the vibe that the Trump presidency is promoting, I can see it making a comeback.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/03/17 at 11:09 pm

Well due to the vibe that the Trump presidency is promoting, I can see it making a comeback.

I almost forgot about him.  ;D

Perhaps maybe rap will make a more hardcore comeback. Rock is pretty macho, too!

Written By: 2001 on 01/03/17 at 11:17 pm

I almost forgot about him.  ;D

Perhaps maybe rap will make a more hardcore comeback. Rock is pretty macho, too!

Naw, we need the LGBT counter culture to be more fierce.  :D (although I have problems with calling it a counter culture, since it isn't rebelling as much as it's asking for acceptance, but you get what I mean)

This is fricken art

JNqnLdX4TM8

Written By: 80sfan on 01/03/17 at 11:29 pm

Naw, we need the LGBT counter culture to be more fierce. More anti-religion and more anti-conservative  :D

This is fricken art

JNqnLdX4TM8

I'm not a rap fan, but I would pick rap over that song. :.ducks:.  :(  :(

Written By: 2001 on 01/03/17 at 11:32 pm

I'm not a rap fan, but I would pick rap over that song. :.ducks:.  :(  :(

I can relate to it though :(

You don't like EDM? ;D

Read this interview http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/watch-neon-trees-tyler-glenn-slam-mormon-church-in-new-solo-video-20160429

Written By: batfan2005 on 01/04/17 at 7:58 am

I'm hoping playing air guitar will become cool again. Regardless, I still do it, lol.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/04/17 at 3:50 pm

I hope those annoying repetitive noises go away in songs that were popular in 2016. It sounds like garbage. Anyways Taylor Swift is expected to drop an album this year. Who knows if it will be the same stuff or if she will change it up. Either way I believe this is the last year we will hear teen pop and other styles of music that were popular the last couple of years. There will be something new coming this year because it is time for change. My guess is R&B and rock music will come back, but nobody knows.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/04/17 at 3:52 pm

This is fricken art

JNqnLdX4TM8

That song really is trash.  8-P

Written By: musicguy93 on 01/04/17 at 3:58 pm

JNqnLdX4TM8

If you're hoping for more of this type of music in the late 2010s, you may be out of luck. This indie/hipster style has already peaked in the mid 2010s, and will probably decline within the next couple of years. Though I think it will still be fairly popular during the early part of 2017.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/04/17 at 4:02 pm

Ariana Grande's music sucks.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/04/17 at 5:07 pm

Naw, we need the LGBT counter culture to be more fierce.  :D (although I have problems with calling it a counter culture, since it isn't rebelling as much as it's asking for acceptance, but you get what I mean)

This is fricken art

JNqnLdX4TM8

This is awful! 8-P

Written By: 2001 on 01/04/17 at 8:16 pm

This is awful! 8-P

Keep listening to songs about skipping school 👏 #clapback

Ariana Grande's music sucks.

That song really is trash.  8-P

Says the person whose favourite song of the year literally "won" TIME's worst song of the year 👏 #clapback

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/04/17 at 8:18 pm

Yeah, I will. Gotta a problem, bud? >:(

Written By: 2001 on 01/04/17 at 8:20 pm

If you're hoping for more of this type of music in the late 2010s, you may be out of luck. This indie/hipster style has already peaked in the mid 2010s, and will probably decline within the next couple of years. Though I think it will still be fairly popular during the early part of 2017.

Oh, that would suck :( I mean I don't care for the genre or its popularity, but I want more songs about personal struggles and oppression, especially in this new era. I love the religious symbolism in the MV too, the Mormons are going nuts!

Written By: Slim95 on 01/04/17 at 9:23 pm

Says the person whose favourite song of the year literally "won" TIME's worst song of the year 👏 #clapback

I never even shared my favourite song of the year though.  ???

Edit: Oh you meant "Can't stop the feeling"? That's not my "favourite" song of the year but it is one of my favourite pop songs of the year because it is at least upbeat. A lot of songs these days lack that.

Written By: 2001 on 01/04/17 at 9:55 pm

I never even shared my favourite song of the year though.  ???

Edit: Oh you meant "Can't stop the feeling"? That's not my "favourite" song of the year but it is one of my favourite pop songs of the year because it is at least upbeat. A lot of songs these days lack that.

I was joking, lol.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/04/17 at 10:00 pm

Oh, that would suck :( I mean I don't care for the genre or its popularity, but I want more songs about personal struggles and oppression, especially in this new era. I love the religious symbolism in the MV too, the Mormons are going nuts!

I like meaningful songs, too. But that song was um,.....stale. The music video was awesome though!     

Written By: 2001 on 01/04/17 at 10:02 pm

I like meaningful songs, too. But that song was um,.....stale. The music video was awesome though!   

Stale as in the style or the lyrics?

Written By: 80sfan on 01/04/17 at 10:06 pm

Stale as in the style or the lyrics?

The former. But also its energy lacks something. It's really hard to explain.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/04/17 at 10:33 pm

I was joking, lol.

I know. But I still felt the need to explain myself.  :P

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/04/17 at 10:40 pm

You know what song is one of the worst ever? Popular Song. I heard it on the radio a while back while I was waiting for them to play my Pitbull request (I requested Hotel Room Service, which they ended up playing like 5 f*ckin hours later) and wondered why the f*ck they were playing lame-o children's music. I looked it up and saw that it was a real song and couldn't believe my ears. I couldn't stop thinking about how stupid and mentally stunted this new generation is; it's so bad that you need to make children's music to satisfy their musical needs.

You know what also sucks? Passenger. I heard that stupid hit he did and had no idea he was a man. He sings like a chick!!!!!! How did this Adele-bootleg hit number 1?

Twenty One Pilots are also really bad. Emo yarls set to bad indie music. "SHHEEE A TEEERRR INNN MMAAHH ERRRUUURRRTT AAAAANNNN OOOWWWW WUURRR STWWWWEESSS OOOOWWWWWW". Same with American Authors. More emo yarling set to bad ukuleles. It's like Creed had a bastard child with Fall Out Boy that got really into the Killers somewhere along the line.

Written By: 2001 on 01/05/17 at 6:04 pm

You know what song is one of the worst ever? Popular Song. I heard it on the radio a while back while I was waiting for them to play my Pitbull request (I requested Hotel Room Service, which they ended up playing like 5 f*ckin hours later) and wondered why the f*ck they were playing lame-o children's music. I looked it up and saw that it was a real song and couldn't believe my ears. I couldn't stop thinking about how stupid and mentally stunted this new generation is; it's so bad that you need to make children's music to satisfy their musical needs.

His songs in French are worse LOL

You Américains have no joie de vivre and no culture, you live like the bobos. You listen to la marde comme Pitbull, when you can be listening to des poésies by MIKA.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/05/17 at 10:05 pm

His songs in French are worse LOL

You Américains have no joie de vivre and no culture, you live like the bobos. You listen to le marde comme Pitbull, when you can be listening to des poésies by MIKA.

That's rude! Just because Pitbull's Cuban doesn't make him a communist!

Written By: 2001 on 01/05/17 at 10:39 pm

That's rude! Just because Pitbull's Cuban doesn't make him a communist!

Yet he plays satanic beats.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 01/07/17 at 11:17 pm

To answer he question, it should be ending soon considering the vibe is transitioning from pretentious to machoness.

Yeah, but potentially, it could be negative machoness and not cool, fun machoness... :o :(

Written By: Slim95 on 01/08/17 at 12:34 am

Yet he plays satanic beats.

Communism isn't always evil.  >:(

Written By: Slim95 on 01/08/17 at 12:35 am

You know what also sucks? Passenger. I heard that stupid hit he did and had no idea he was a man. He sings like a chick!!!!!! How did this Adele-bootleg hit number 1?

Twenty One Pilots are also really bad. Emo yarls set to bad indie music. "SHHEEE A TEEERRR INNN MMAAHH ERRRUUURRRTT AAAAANNNN OOOWWWW WUURRR STWWWWEESSS OOOOWWWWWW". Same with American Authors. More emo yarling set to bad ukuleles. It's like Creed had a bastard child with Fall Out Boy that got really into the Killers somewhere along the line.

Sorry to break it to you, but Pitbull has definitely past his prime.  :P

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/08/17 at 12:43 am

Sorry to break it to you, but Pitbull has definitely past his prime.  :P

How!? It makes no sense to say that when he's releasing consistent hits and remains relevant.

Written By: aja675 on 01/08/17 at 12:44 am

It's fading and is where Y2K-era teen pop was in 2002.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/08/17 at 12:55 am

Teen Pop's waning; Pitbull's gaining. 8)

Written By: 2001 on 01/08/17 at 11:55 am

The only gains are being made by Sia. She got Ed Shereen making blatant copycats of her song and soon others will follow  :o A Queen setting the modern cultural standards.

Written By: 2001 on 01/08/17 at 2:07 pm

Communism isn't always evil.  >:(

Communism is ungodly!!

Y'all need supply side Jesus!

Gc-LJ_3VbUA

Written By: Slim95 on 01/08/17 at 3:36 pm

Communism is ungodly!!

Y'all need supply side Jesus!

Gc-LJ_3VbUA

Haha who knew Jesus was a capitalist?  ;D

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/08/17 at 7:10 pm

The only gains are being made by Sia. She got Ed Shereen making blatant copycats of her song and soon others will follow  :o A Queen setting the modern cultural standards.

Keep thinking that, bud. ::)

Check for new replies or respond here...